Steerzing in a New Direction...

Old subthreads
Steersman

Re: Steerzing in a New Direction...

Post by Steersman »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Well that was a long, self-indulgent ramble for tl;dr: Ivermectin the dewormer had the best results vs. covid where the local population had a lot of worms.
:-) There was a winky there ... ;)
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Of course, we don't have any studies from the US and other places where it's use is effectively banned (or administered surreptitiously.)
Not sure what the relevance of that is. Except maybe to highlight, if inadvertently, that scientific "standards" are much more lax outside of the "first world".
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: I'll accept that as plausible. But it ignores that ivermectin was first proposed because it "obliterated" covid viruses in the lab.
Progress!! ;-)

But you're a generally clever fellow Matt - though with a bit of a blind-spot yourself when it comes to group selection ... ;-) As such, you should and probably do realize or understand the concept of cause and effect (most of those in the humanities generally don't have a effen clue): for example, carburetors work by changing the fuel-air ratio depending on speed or load.

Likewise with anti-virals: there has to be some mechanism by which they supposedly work, some biochemical process driven by the anti-viral that "kills" the virus or prevents it from replicating. As I had mentioned before, a CBC article on the Merck anti-viral had said:
The antiviral works by blocking the enzyme essential for viral replication.
And even the Wikipedia article on ivermectin acknowledges that it has some similar effects. But note:
In vitro, ivermectin has antiviral effects against several distinct positive-sense single-strand RNA viruses, including SARS-CoV-2. Subsequent studies found that ivermectin could inhibit replication of SARS-CoV-2 in monkey kidney cell culture with an IC50 of 2.2–2.8 μM. Based on this information, however, doses much higher than the maximum approved or safely achievable for use in humans would be required for an antiviral effect. Aside from practical difficulties, such high doses are not covered by current human-use approvals of the drug and would be toxic, as the antiviral mechanism of action is considered to operate by the suppression of a host cellular process, specifically the inhibition of nuclear transport by importin α/β1.
Sure, ivermectin might well "obliterate covid viruses in the lab". But if the lab dose is so high as to kill the patient - due to the "suppression of host cellular processes" essential to the life of the patient - then one might reasonably see that as "counter-productive" at best.

Why I think that most if not all of those "studies" are probably no more than chimeras at best - illustrations of badly flawed methodology, of egregious "cargo-cult science":
So I call these things cargo cult science, because they follow all the apparent precepts and forms of scientific investigation, but they're missing something essential, because the planes don't land.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cargo_cul ... n's_speech

As far as I can see, what's "missing" from those "studies" - apart from those that Wikipedia and CBC referred to - is any appreciation or reference to plausible mechanisms. Sure, some few patients might have an evolved or mutated form of "importin" that still operates while blocking "viral replication". But the bottom line has to be an understanding and explication of the processes that are affected - and that affect viral replication.

But there may be some "silver lining" to the black cloud of covid in underlining the large and problematic degree to which so many of us are "scientifically illiterate" as Sagan put it. No particular shame in that - we're all born ignorant as Benjamin Franklin supposedly put it. But there is some such shame in not making an effort to understand scientific principles and facts, particularly where they're relevant to thorny social issues.

No doubt that the biology of virus replication is incredibly complicated, and I sure am no "pro from Dover". A book I've found to be quite useful and illuminating is "Genetics for Dummies" - a fairly good series with many useful titles. And I even found Behe's "Darwin's Black Box" to be equally illuminating. He, of course, had an axe to grind - irreducibly complex therefore Jesus - but he also has a PhD in biochemistry and a commendable ability to describe and illustrate such complexities:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_B ... _academics
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Bottom line, ivermectin is entirely safe, extremely cheap, and possibly effective. And if not effective, has beneficial ancillary effects. The rabid hate against it is not derived from so-so metastudy results.
"beneficial ancillary effects"? Like delousing and deworming? ;-)

But sure, ivermectin may well be "entirely safe, and extremely cheap". As is what you get from homeopaths.

However, "possibly effective" is the crux of the matter - the Wikipedia quote does indeed suggest that it may well be "effective", at least if you're not terribly concerned about killing the patient .... Maybe those studies that Wikipedia referred to are maybe somewhat suspect themselves - maybe the in vitro conditions are not applicable to human patients. But I sure haven't seen any attempt to refute them, and think that they more or less qualify as trump.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

Another sleepless night. I blame all the coffee and miserable weather.

Anyway, trawling youtube, as usual, I blundered onto yet another video featuring a song I absolutely love (Muse - exogenesis part 3 (redemption)) with a figure skater using the song for her routine. Long story short, the technical aspects of this routine are beyond my ignorance (it could be world class, it could be dog shit, I'm ill-equipped to tell) but it blew my socks off! The word "graceful" barely does this justice...

It may be pearl before swine (in my case) but I loved this way more than I'd normally admit!

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Bhurzum wrote: the technical aspects of this routine are beyond my ignorance (it could be world class, it could be dog shit, I'm ill-equipped to tell)
Apparently she's the best in the world, by several measurements: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamila_Valieva

--

From the quarter-century I spent with a professional dancer-- I'd say this skater combines top tier technical feats with top tier expressiveness... and yeah the thing she's expressing is 'grace'. Makes me wonder how the field of dancers measures up vs the field of skaters. Are the art-world ballet&barefoot dancers... a bunch of ugly ducklings... compared to the sports-world?

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

https://www.lwcurrey.com/pictures/127531_1.jpg

Tonight I finished reading-aloud Heinlein's 1953 juvenile novel 'Starman Jones'.

GF was curious about this-one, because she had-read that it was a boyhood favorite of David Bowie.

The book took me by surprise-- because I was certain I had read it before, but it did not match my recollection. I now suspect that I had confused it with 'Space Cadet', and I had only-ever read an excerpt of this one.

So, since grade school, I've under-estimated this book. Heinlein can be self-indulgent-- with entire chapters reading more like morality rants or ballistics calculation. But this one sticks-to Coming Of Age and Adventure basics. It's just 'Treasure Island' or 'Kidnapped!' with spaceships & aliens replacing sailing-ships & cannibal natives islanders.

Tell me if this sounds familiar:

a literally hillbilly farmboy lives with his foster parents.

An older male relative-- deceased-- was a big-deal in the Space Navy. Farmboy leaves home in search of space-uncle.

Farmboy meets an older hobo, who seems friendly... but entangles boy in trouble.

Boy goes to the spaceport city-- a hive of scum & villainy. The hobo arranges less-than-kosher passage for hobo & farmboy-- aboard a space navy liner. The space liner crew includes some rough characters.

Aboard the spaceship-- farmboy meets a princess/ they become best-buddies & they flirt. But duty comes first: the boy exhibits supernatural ability to navigate spaceships.

Ship jumps into hyperspace but their friendly destination-planet is not where it's supposed to be. So they land on a hostile planet, with legions of denizens who wish them harm.

Then boy & girl get lost like Tom Sawyer & Becky in the Snow Caves of Hoth. Or a trash compactor? (I can't recall. Haven't read Mark Twain in a long time, either.) The hobo (with a secret backstory as a disgraced warrior) dies sacrificing himself so the boy & princess can escape the alien denizen of the bad planet.

The space liner flies free again, but all the older space-navy officers are killed-off + the astrogation charts are lost... so the boy must 'use the force' to pilot everybody home (with the imagined-ghost of his old dead mentor guiding him).

Somebody-else gets the girl, but the boy is too-married to his new role as the-chosen-one to mind-much.

But this book has no sand-dune planet or spice-smugglers, or Baron Vader-- so George Lucas still deserves credit for his originality.

Or maybe George Lucas made such a big deal out of his supposed love-for Joseph Campbell's notion-- that there's 'only one story'-- to explain-away certain similarities with one or two specific stories.

--
The farmboy's journey contains similarities to Heinlein's own early life, from bygone Missouri to the naval academy, to junior officer on large navy ships. The most plodding (but perhaps charmingly-plodding) bits... are accurate descriptions of a vessel's command hierarchy. A good thing for a growing boy to learn about, but not directly in service of advancing the plot.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Service Dog wrote: Apparently she's the best in the world, by several measurements: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamila_Valieva
Heh...I thought she was some random figure skater. See? My ignorance is on full display!
Service Dog wrote: From the quarter-century I spent with a professional dancer-- I'd say this skater combines top tier technical feats with top tier expressiveness... and yeah the thing she's expressing is 'grace'.

Can't lie, I find her routine to be utterly hypnotic! As already stated, I only started the vid because I'm a massive "Muse" fan and love "Exogenesis part 3" but that took a back seat roughly 1 minute into her routine. Don't get me wrong, the music was still a factor but her movement(s) and grace quickly took over. I feel odd talking about this - I'm a tits, beer and "who the fuck are you looking at?" knuckle-dragger; I've got no business talking about figure skating.
Service Dog wrote: Makes me wonder how the field of dancers measures up vs the field of skaters. Are the art-world ballet&barefoot dancers... a bunch of ugly ducklings... compared to the sports-world?
No idea, mate, the closest I come to dancing is booze-fueled physical frippery.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Bhurzum wrote: I've got no business talking about figure skating.
When we returned from being stationed in Germany, my dad took a job in North Dakota... which is basically Siberia.

In first grade-- on snowy winter days-- for recess-- we'd sometimes bundle-up in full snow gear. A rope was tied to a handrail, near a classroom doorway, taut, 3 feet off the ground. We'd grip the rope with one hand & run out into the swirling zero-visibility snow. We had to run-out... maybe 50 meters?... until we reached a flagpole, go-round to the other side of the rope & run-back.

So the only available winter sports were-- the bowling alley & the ice rink. Kids were on skates as soon as they could stand-- before they had mastered walking. My brother & I arrived with no experience-- and were placed in a class with toddlers. Boys under 10 were already aggressive hockey machines. Boys & girls both figure skated.

An annual 'ice-capades' show was a big social event. Brother & I wore 'bear' suits & skated like clumsy animals. My best friend Jerry got a 'circus trainer' costume & fake whip.... he jumped over 10 beer barrels, like a jet. Then pretend whipped us. A girl named Tami was his 'lovely assistant', did fancy spins. The finale trick for bro & me was riding tricycles on the ice. Absolute knuckle-dragger flagpole-licker retardation. But... the high point of the show (for me) was a bunch of 1977 blonde 18 year old girls who skated in a line, arms around each-others-shoulders. Their big finish was tearing off their miniskirts with a loud velcro noise... and doing a Rockettes kick-line in-motion. Racy stuff.

That's my bench mark to measure your little russian world champion. With a brief pause to remember Tonya Harding & Nancy Kerrigan. And Kristi Yamaguchi... who was all technical robotics and ZERO expressive human grace.

My guess is... the top level of talent among skater chicks has gone thru-the-roof... in the last 40 years.

(And the ballet & modern dance world has been stagnant. Or gone full Hannah Gadsby post-modern-trans-feminist devo-lution.)

But... regarding your lack-of-qualification to judge... Like many dancers of her era-- my ex got involved in the burlesque revival. Which was fun. Some of the girls did serious historical research into forgotten fan dances... they located retired old showgirls outside Vegas-- to pass-on knowledge. They wrote PhD theses. They got all elevated & snobby about the 'art'. And it Really Pissed 'Em Off-- when I said their opinions don't mean shit. Nor the opinions of the gay choreographer guys. Their purpose in the bar was to attract horny men-- keep 'em tit-ilated & buying more alcohol. Those Guys were the end-all be-all judges of Best & Worst performer.

In retrospect, I shouldn't have been so surprised that all those bitter faggots & naked cunts -- were so 'supportive' about my ex leaving me. My big mouth.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

Service Dog wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:19 pm
Bhurzum wrote: the technical aspects of this routine are beyond my ignorance (it could be world class, it could be dog shit, I'm ill-equipped to tell)
Apparently she's the best in the world, by several measurements: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamila_Valieva

--

From the quarter-century I spent with a professional dancer-- I'd say this skater combines top tier technical feats with top tier expressiveness... and yeah the thing she's expressing is 'grace'. Makes me wonder how the field of dancers measures up vs the field of skaters. Are the art-world ballet&barefoot dancers... a bunch of ugly ducklings... compared to the sports-world?
Ballerinas combine physical toughness and extreme muscle control with grace. They're every bit the athlete. My inexpert opinion is that skaters have the advantage of constant flow while a ballerina needs to hold their limbs in intensely taxing poses while exuding gracefulness.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

| think Tilda Swindon's contribution required some degree of muscle control.

https://newrepublic.com/article/112782/ ... mance-moma

Which is not to say it was particularly interesting.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Happy birthday, Jane!

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Lsuoma wrote: Happy birthday, Jane!
Is it too soon to bring up Mark Twain's assessment?

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Twain on Jane? Go for it...

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Stankeye wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:17 pm
Stankeye wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote: Scott Alexander opines:

(There were 63 studies at the time I looked. More added since then.)

Ivermectin: Much More Than You Wanted To Know/
Dozens of teams published studies saying ivermectin definitely worked. Then most scientists concluded it didn’t. What a great opportunity to exercise our study-analyzing muscles!
I have no idea who runs it - they’ve very reasonably kept their identity secret - but my hat is off to them. Each of these study names links to a discussion page which extracts key outcomes and offers links to html and pdf versions of the full text. These same people have another 35 ivermectin studies with different inclusion criteria, subanalyses by every variable under the sun, responses and counterresponses to everyone who disagrees with them about every study, and they’ve done this for twenty-nine other controversial COVID treatments.
Alexandros Marinos did a followup to Scotts work.

https://doyourownresearch.substack.com/ ... lcome=true

I believe Scott and Alexandros are continuing the discussion, I think twitter.

Alexandros does good sensemaking on Twitter mostly.
Not on Twitter.

Scott responded to Alexandros post in his Open Thread. #5

https://astralcodexten.substack.com/p/open-thread-200

In which we discover it doesn't matter how many RCT's you do, Scott will not budge, also using a psychic phenomena metaphor. I think he realizes he has painted himself into a corner in that all RCT's are either gamable or he is being overly critical of RCT's he doesn't like.
That was a pretty good read. Thank you very much for posting that link.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Mark Twain wrote:...I go so far as to say that any library is a good library that does not contain a volume by Jane Austen. Even if it contains no other book.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

And how does Dr. Smarmy McConfidencelevel know those studies didn't check for worms in their subjects beforehand? Because worm infestatiionis not spread uniformly across the population.

Nor does 20% worm-infestation account for the nearly 100% drop-off in cases and deaths in India.

Unless -- as I think Dog is saying -- only worm-infested or otherwise health compromised folks were getting sick and dying. In which case, the rest of us can ignore covid, and the public health response to covid should be to dewormed everyone.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

The horse paste narrative is pure propaganda

Its all a psyop

Everything is fake n ghey

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Bhurzum wrote:
another lurker wrote: Bhurzum is a faggit.discuss

Btw bhurzie, you have beautiful kids I was shocked!!

Yes, I do lurk here from time to time
Of course they're beautiful, they're bred from the finest stock!

Anyhoo, gimme a clue - are you an IRL friend, ex-workmate (or spouse) or an online buddy? Can PM me if you'd rather minimise.

(this has really intrigued me because my FB is locked up tighter than a gnat's chuff!)
Huh? We were Twitter buds!

And you posted pics of your kids here on the pit. Search for it!! I quit the pit years ago but I still read on occasion

You have beautiful classy daughters

I was @catbirdoffice on twitter!

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

another lurker wrote:
Bhurzum wrote:
Anyhoo, gimme a clue - are you an IRL friend, ex-workmate (or spouse) or an online buddy? Can PM me if you'd rather minimise.

(this has really intrigued me because my FB is locked up tighter than a gnat's chuff!)

And you posted pics of your kids here on the pit. Search for it!! I quit the pit years ago but I still read on occasion
Mystery solved, Bhurz: Another Lurker just got out of prison and is slowly making her way through four years of posts.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

yet ANOTHER CNN sexual predator/pedo:

https://www.projectveritas.com/news/sou ... -sex-acts/

At this rate, CNN will eventually be down to Jeffrey "Tumescent" Toobin, and Brian Stelter, who has no gonads.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

If you're going to San Francisco
Be sure to wear some flowers in your hair
You're gonna meet some gentle people there

https://abc7.com/trunk-open-car-break-i ... /11344070/

Stankeye

Post by Stankeye »

another lurker wrote:
Bhurzum wrote:

That's what I remember as well, I thought he posted some pictures at some point.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Stankeye wrote:
another lurker wrote:
Bhurzum wrote:

That's what I remember as well, I thought he posted some pictures at some point.
Aaah, of course.

Forgive me, my brain is like a mess of ramen noodles, Christmas lights and empty beer bottles.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Bhurzum wrote: Forgive me, my brain is like a mess of ramen noodles, Christmas lights and empty beer bottles.
Sure that's not your living room?

John D

Post by John D »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: If you're going to San Francisco
Be sure to wear some flowers in your hair
You're gonna meet some gentle people there

https://abc7.com/trunk-open-car-break-i ... /11344070/
Reminds me of when the old lady and I lived in an apartment in suburban Detroit. We had a shitty old panel van we used to just get to work and such. It was an obvious target for punks to smash into. The first thing is that the punks smashed out my vent window (this was an old van). They stole my cassette tapes since that was all that was in the van. They were all just recordings of my records and had no value at all. So... after that I left the doors unlocked. The fucking punks were so stupid they still smashed my window to break in. There was nothing in the van. I should have just left the windows down in good weather. My wife hated this since we had lots of bag men around looking for a place to sleep. She was afraid that some guy would sleep in the van. I told her to check it before driving... haha. I HATE living in high crime areas. and... fuck the cops and that reporter. They want people to lock their cars even when the punks just smash fucking windows all night. and... then the cop say they should put up security cameras... but how does that help when these punks just walk away from their crimes?

I loved when Nancy Pelosi gave a speech that said the problem was "lack of civility". Haha. No... it lack of police and prosecutors.... stupid cunt.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

"You can enjoy the holiday season with your family if you're vaccinated and your family members are vaccinated."

John D

Post by John D »

Service Dog wrote:

But... regarding your lack-of-qualification to judge... Like many dancers of her era-- my ex got involved in the burlesque revival. Which was fun. Some of the girls did serious historical research into forgotten fan dances... they located retired old showgirls outside Vegas-- to pass-on knowledge. They wrote PhD theses. They got all elevated & snobby about the 'art'. And it Really Pissed 'Em Off-- when I said their opinions don't mean shit. Nor the opinions of the gay choreographer guys. Their purpose in the bar was to attract horny men-- keep 'em tit-ilated & buying more alcohol. Those Guys were the end-all be-all judges of Best & Worst performer.

In retrospect, I shouldn't have been so surprised that all those bitter faggots & naked cunts -- were so 'supportive' about my ex leaving me. My big mouth.
You Gotta Have a Gimmick! (what a uh...and a uh.... and a uh uh uh )

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

another lurker wrote: The horse paste narrative is pure propaganda

Its all a psyop

Everything is fake n ghey
It's science - and it works ... ;-)

https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/science.jpg

More or less in any case. Although many so-called scientists - PZ in particular, and even JC to some extent - should be sent back for some refreshers as they're generally as clueless about various fundamental principles as, say, the worst of the anti-vaxers ...

But there may well be some marginal benefits from "horse paste" - apart from deworming those in 3rd world "shit-hole" countries and various backwaters in north america ... ;-)

However, "marginal" is probably being charitable. For instance, the Wikipedia article on ivermectin talks about the "half maximal inhibitory concentration (IC50)" of ivermectin which is, in fact, remarkable efficacious in reducing viral load, at least in "monkey cell cultures" - not in human patients:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivermectin#COVID-19
The authors noted 93–99.8% reduction in viral RNA for ivermectin versus DMSO control at 24h in supernatant (released virions) and cell associated viral RNA (total virus) respectively. They also describe by 48 hours a ∼5000-fold reduction of viral RNA and maintenance of effect at 72 hours.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7172803/

However, the NCBI source goes on to emphasize that the concentration used - that qualifies as that "inhibitory concentration" (IC50) - is some 25 to 60 times greater than the "highest regulatory approved dose of ivermectin":
Even with most generous assumptions for clinical translation, the in vitro IC50 is > 9-fold and >21-fold higher than the day 3 plasma and lung tissue simulated Cmax respectively, following a high dose ivermectin regimen of 600 μg/kg dose daily for 3 days. (Smit et al., 2019) This dose scenario, which ignores consistent exposure, exceeds the highest regulatory approved dose of ivermectin, being a 200 μg/kg single dose for the treatment of Strongyloidiasis.
At the levels of ivermectin that are approved, one would think that its actual effectiveness against covid would well under even the "half maximal inhibitory concentrations" - possibly a 30th to a 50th at best. Probably pretty close to useless.

If y'all are keen to be dosing yourselves with anti-virals, it would seem to be a much better bet to go with potential offerings from both Pfizer and Merck:

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/12/14 ... l-paxlovid

Although at $530 for 30 pills from Pfizer, one would think that simply getting vaccinated would be a cheaper and much better bet ... ;-)

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Steersman wrote: simply getting vaccinated would be a cheaper and much better bet
booster booster booster booster booster booster booster booster booster...

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

This gets a big shout-out from me! :lol: :clap: :dance:

https://i.redd.it/g7olvk3i7z581.jpg

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Black man
Paints a white man
Painting over black people

Is that an analogy for fake hate-crimes?

Asking for Sarah Silverman...

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Seven shipping containers a swimmin'

Six percent inflation

Five red S-U-Veeees....

Four pa-rade kids

Three needles jabbing

Two masks for masking

and a fau-ci in a burnt tree

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Service Dog wrote: This gets a big shout-out from me! :lol: :clap: :dance:

https://i.redd.it/g7olvk3i7z581.jpg
Anywhere he isn't just copying photographs, he fucks up the perspective, depth, and chiaoscuro.

HACK. But a melanated hack, so soon to be rich and famous.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Dem is my thoughts.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Can't be too careful about unvaccinated singers - who knows what viruses, what sublimal/subvocal messages they have hiding in their songs ... "Mainline ivermectin!" "Impeach Fauci!" Bret Weinstein for Pope!" ... ;-)

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Service Dog wrote:
Steersman wrote: simply getting vaccinated would be a cheaper and much better bet
booster booster booster booster booster booster booster booster booster...
:-) I get $10 from Fauci and Pfizer for every anti-vaxxer I bring to Jesus get vaccinated ... ;-)

Though, now that you mention it, I did get my booster, my third jab this afternoon. Hasn't opened any portals or backdoors into the Windows operating system, much less into the antechambers of hell so I guess I've more or less dodged another bullet.

But while you have, no doubt, some cause to be concerned about "the over-reach of bureaucracies and busybodies", your "vs. individual autonomy" looks to be a thin beef that serves only to mask some highly questionable "anti-science and anti-intellectual sentiments".

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Dem is my thoughts.
:-) GoP isn't a helluva lot better - they at least have a bit of an excuse in being, largely, the party of religious fundamentalists. Democrats are supposed to be the party of science, of democracy - not much evidence of that, particularly the latter.

Somewhat apropos of which, a recent article in the New York Review of Books:

https://www.nybooks.com/daily/2021/12/1 ... tic-state/

It's paywalled but the opening paragraphs are accessible and a cause for concern:
The self-governing republic works only if it expresses the will of the majority. But one party is now committed to minoritarian rule by any means. ....

The State Department is hosting a democracy summit this week. Representatives from around the world will assemble, virtually, “to set forth an affirmative agenda for democratic renewal.” ....

I’m not certain who precisely is going to be showcasing our own “imperfections.” The agenda online is incomplete. But it is right that we “confront” these “imperfections” “openly and transparently.” Because what’s most striking about America’s understanding of our own democracy is our ability to see what’s just not there. We are not a model for the world to copy. The United States is instead a failed democratic state. .....

At every level, the institutions that the US has evolved for implementing our democracy betray the basic commitment of a representative democracy: that it be, at its core, fair and majoritarian. Instead, that commitment is now corrupted in America. And every aspiring democracy around the world should understand the specifics of that corruption—if only to avoid the same in its own land.
Similar to Noam Chomsky's "Failed States" though can't say I've read much of it.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

I wrote a massive wall of text about this video but decided to delete it after proof reading. Deleted due to ultra-high levels of ignorance. All I'll say is this - she very clearly needs help/support for self-inflicted mental health issues.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: HACK. But a melanated hack, so soon to be rich and famous.
Impossible.

Because whitey.

#WakandaForever #BlackLivesMatter #Uhuru

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Bhurzum wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NyzCJx4IiI

I wrote a massive wall of text about this video but decided to delete it after proof reading. Deleted due to ultra-high levels of ignorance. All I'll say is this - she very clearly needs help/support for self-inflicted mental health issues.
How so? Didn't watch it all in great detail, but certainly think she has something of a point about society, in general, looking down its nose - rather unfairly - on sexworkers of various types. Which might reasonably be seen to be contributing to whatever problems they have to deal with.

Rather "nice" poem - The Harpy - by Canada's own Robert Service that speaks to that point:
There is no hope for such as I on earth, nor yet in Heaven;
Unloved I live, unloved I die, unpitied, unforgiven;
A loathèd jade, I ply my trade, unhallowed and unshriven. ....

Was I not born to walk in scorn where others walk in pride?
https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/46646/the-harpy

And of course, Cher's "torch song", "Gypsys, Tramps and Thieves"

Feminists, in general, have more than a few justified "grievances", although many are charter members of "The Sisterhood of the Oppressed" - as Paula Kirby put it several years ago. But many also are rather reluctant to consider that other women - nominally speaking at least ... ;-) - have some justification for being or defending sexworkers.

Complex issue and, as I think I've mentioned, many sexworkers are part of the problem - power without responsibility being the prerogative of harlot throughout the ages, as Stanley Baldwin once suggested.

But many quite reasonably see themselves offering a valuable service - even apart from the physical. I had once tweeted to an escort/madam that sexworkers were "frequently the unsung heroines of the mental health dept". Which had garnered some welcome aggrement and quite effusive appreciation :-)

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Steersman wrote:
Bhurzum wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NyzCJx4IiI

How so? Didn't watch it all in great detail, but certainly think she has something of a point about society, in general, looking down its nose - rather unfairly - on sexworkers of various types. Which might reasonably be seen to be contributing to whatever problems they have to deal with.
Bree Olsen, for the uninitiated, is a household name within the adult entertainment industry. Over the course of several years and many, many videos, she managed to accumulate enough cash, notoriety and status to go mainstream, rub shoulders with Hollywood "big names" and enter into an ill-fated relationship with Charlie "captain insanity" Sheen.

https://www.celebritynetworth.com/riche ... net-worth/

All of the above, all of it, was done willingly and if you've watched her performances, with great enthusiasm. At no point was a gun held to her head, nobody twisted her arm and none of her family were held hostage until she'd juggled enough cocks to secure their freedom. She had the freedom and agency to hit the ejector seat whenever she wanted.

In other words, she is entirely responsible for the choices she made and the resulting consequences. Sure, people are assholes for looking down on her (I'd rather look up her asshole!) but she made her bed, no?

Note: I may sound like I've got a hate-on for Olsen but nothing could be further from the truth. I'm actually quite saddened to see how fucked up she has become. She always struck me as one of those strong-willed women who grabbed life by the throat.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Bhurzum wrote: Bree Olsen...managed to accumulate enough cash, notoriety and status to go mainstream, rub shoulders with Hollywood "big names"...
I was quite surprised when she got the Captain Marvel role...

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

MarcusAu wrote: I was quite surprised when she got the Captain Marvel role...
That was Lara Larsen.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DrUZ8viX0AUEEOW.jpg

(Had to google-fu adult stars with the surname "Larsen" - now I'm overloaded with...research)

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Bhurzum wrote:
Steersman wrote:
<snip>

Bree Olsen, for the uninitiated, is a household name within the adult entertainment industry.
[Brief comments; past my bedtime]

But, yea, a fairly successful porn actress - I'd skimmed over her Wikipedia article and a couple of related ones before posting my last comment:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bree_Olson

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pornographic_film_actor

Still think she has some good points - porn industry isn't particularly ethical. "We" wouldn't stand for that if we were talking child labour but when it comes to sexworkers ...?

<snip>
Bhurzum wrote: In other words, she is entirely responsible for the choices she made and the resulting consequences. Sure, people are assholes for looking down on her (I'd rather look up her asshole!) but she made her bed, no?
Sure, as we all do, more or less - maybe the point of your Radiohead video?

But in the first video she's telling young women to not go into porn themselves because it closes off other opportunities later in life - presumably why she emphasized not being able to work with kids or go into the medical professions. Lots of people change jobs over the course of their lives, often because they can no longer handle the demands of earlier ones - being a welder (briefly) at an early stage didn't prevent me from going into electronics (inside work, no heavy lifting) later on. Seems a bit inequitable that she doesn't have the same opportunities:
On March 24, 2016, writing as a guest columnist in Daily Dot, she related her post-porn social life, stating, "porn didn't hurt me. The way society treats me for having done it does".
Bree Olson, onetime Charlie Sheen goddess, says she can’t shake her porn star past: ‘People treat me as if I am a pedophile’

"Don't do porn," she said. "I understand that you want to embrace your sexuality … but you're just going to have a life of crap in front of you."
https://www.nydailynews.com/entertainme ... -1.2577395

Such inequities seem to quite reasonably call for criticisms of one sort or another.

And speaking to the $ one million networth claim:
In the same article, she said she was "broke".[7]
Bhurzum wrote: Note: I may sound like I've got a hate-on for Olsen but nothing could be further from the truth. I'm actually quite saddened to see how fucked up she has become. She always struck me as one of those strong-willed women who grabbed life by the throat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIFLtNYI3Ls
Haven't followed her peregrinations - personal and professional ;-) - all that closely so you may well have a point. But from the bits I've seen in the articles quoted, "fucked up" seems a bit of a stretch. "one of those strong-willed women" - still - seems a better bet. :-)

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Bhurzum wrote: That was Lara Larsen.
Ahh...I knew it was some vaguely Scandinavian bit of cheese...

fafnir

Post by fafnir »

Steersman wrote: Such inequities seem to quite reasonably call for criticisms of one sort or another.
Why would inequalities call for criticism?

John D

Post by John D »

Some random thoughts:
1) Lara Larson has a really big head. It looks photo shopped.
2) Women tend to believe they have power over men by using sex. Even in our modern times this is a general social belief. Women who are sex and porn workers confront this belief. There is bound to be conflict. In general, it is women who hate sex workers and men just try to appease the women on this topic.
3) Parents are keen to provide their children with age appropriate experiences. The idea of a sex worker associating with their kids feels very risky (and perhaps it is risky). Parents don't think it is a good life plan for their kids to take up sex work or become too sexually active. After all, parents are generally people who believe in relationships that are monogamous.
4) But... what the fuck do I know. My oldest daughter (pansexual polyamorous) has had so many sex partners I suspect she can't remember them all. My youngest daughter had a period where she was looking to get paid for sex. She had some guy harassing her after this "fling". The story went like this:

Daughter (in tears): "Dad, this guy tells me I have to have sex with him... and... that I told him what he had to pay. But, I don't want to do it and he keeps texting me. He says I have to have sex with him for the money I agreed too."
Me: "Text him back and tell him that your dad will call the police if he texts you again."
Daughter: "But he says he will get me in trouble if I don't do what I said I would."
Me: "The police will leave you alone. They will go after him. Trust me... and if he doesn't leave you alone you can invite him to our house and I will kill him."
My daughter texts him that her dad will call the cops on him and he goes away. No more texts from him. And I realize it is hard to teach your kids exactly how the world works. I have always been really open with my kids... but they still don't understand how things work. Hmmmmm..... My daughter... the temporary sex trafficked victim. Wow.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Steerz is a weak man

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

John D wrote: Some random thoughts:
1) Lara Larson has a really big head. It looks photo shopped.
2) Women tend to believe they have power over men by using sex. Even in our modern times this is a general social belief. Women who are sex and porn workers confront this belief. There is bound to be conflict. In general, it is women who hate sex workers and men just try to appease the women on this topic.
3) Parents are keen to provide their children with age appropriate experiences. The idea of a sex worker associating with their kids feels very risky (and perhaps it is risky). Parents don't think it is a good life plan for their kids to take up sex work or become too sexually active. After all, parents are generally people who believe in relationships that are monogamous.
4) But... what the fuck do I know. My oldest daughter (pansexual polyamorous) has had so many sex partners I suspect she can't remember them all. My youngest daughter had a period where she was looking to get paid for sex. She had some guy harassing her after this "fling". The story went like this:

Daughter (in tears): "Dad, this guy tells me I have to have sex with him... and... that I told him what he had to pay. But, I don't want to do it and he keeps texting me. He says I have to have sex with him for the money I agreed too."
Me: "Text him back and tell him that your dad will call the police if he texts you again."
Daughter: "But he says he will get me in trouble if I don't do what I said I would."
Me: "The police will leave you alone. They will go after him. Trust me... and if he doesn't leave you alone you can invite him to our house and I will kill him."
My daughter texts him that her dad will call the cops on him and he goes away. No more texts from him. And I realize it is hard to teach your kids exactly how the world works. I have always been really open with my kids... but they still don't understand how things work. Hmmmmm..... My daughter... the temporary sex trafficked victim. Wow.
You need to fuck everyone in the ass, john

John D

Post by John D »

another lurker wrote: You need to fuck everyone in the ass, john
Anal sex... Tried it and hated it. No butt boring for me thank you very much.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

John D wrote:
I'm sure it's much more satisfying metaphorically

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

I probably wouldn't fuck all of you in the ass, as I promised, 4 years ago

But we must solve this dilemma

Steerz vs service dog

Who has the nicest ass

Poast pix

Thx

John D

Post by John D »

another lurker wrote:
John D wrote:
Well... metaphorically... well maybe. I always tell my friends that I would have probably been a really "good" Nazi. Haha. I think most people think they don't have a dark and brutal side. Truth is that they do but they don't want to examine it. I have actually never been a cruel person. Hell, I felt guilty when I toasted the ants with my magnifying glass. You know, you take a magnifying glass out on a sunny day and toast the ants. I actually reproached myself after that. There is no purpose in cruelty for its own sake.... no joy in that. But, cruelty for a greater good. Well... that is something we can all agree upon.

Now... if I could only have confidence to decide what the greater good really is. I spend some time thinking upon this and have not come up with a solution.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

John D wrote:
another lurker wrote:
John D wrote:
Well... metaphorically... well maybe. I always tell my friends that I would have probably been a really "good" Nazi. Haha. I think most people think they don't have a dark and brutal side. Truth is that they do but they don't want to examine it. I have actually never been a cruel person. Hell, I felt guilty when I toasted the ants with my magnifying glass. You know, you take a magnifying glass out on a sunny day and toast the ants. I actually reproached myself after that. There is no purpose in cruelty for its own sake.... no joy in that. But, cruelty for a greater good. Well... that is something we can all agree upon.

Now... if I could only have confidence to decide what the greater good really is. I spend some time thinking upon this and have not come up with a solution.
You are a good and honest man john

You got a raw deal

I send my love, sincerely

*hugs*

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Fear of dishonor

vs.

Fear of death

One makes men

the other

Makes worms of men

John D

Post by John D »

another lurker wrote:
You got a raw deal
I don't think I got a raw deal. I think I am very lucky. I sometimes find it hard to be content.... and I think I would have made an excellent Christian... but alas... that path is closed to me. I do like the music however. The whole redemption concept is very powerful. It is harder to forgive yourself than to ask god to forgive you.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Don't be a worm

Pro vaxxers are worms

Weak and pathetic men

I would not even fuck you in the ass with your own dick

fafnir

Post by fafnir »

John D wrote: 2) Women tend to believe they have power over men by using sex. Even in our modern times this is a general social belief. Women who are sex and porn workers confront this belief. There is bound to be conflict. In general, it is women who hate sex workers and men just try to appease the women on this topic.
It seems to me this is the cycle one reads about all over the place now. Women have high value when they are young, and have a clock running to find a man, persuade him to settle down with her and have kids. Liberal, progressivism with its focus on equity and social causes looks at that, calls it unfair and wants to make it not so. It tells women to have careers and put off having kids and then tries to force the scales so there are no consequences for that. Prostitution is just one of these games that leverages and commoditises women's youthful advantage and pretends that there isn't a clock ticking away in the background. There is always a price that has to be paid though whether individually or for society. If we normalise prostitution then we will live in a society where women are prostitutes or competing with prostitutes which in such a society amounts to being a free prostitute. How grim will prostitution be once the market is saturated? Micropayment prostitution? This doesn't even do men any good.

Women do have power over men by using sex.... prostitution devalues the currency. It's the modern monetary policy of mating strategies.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

fafnir wrote:
John D wrote: 2) Women tend to believe they have power over men by using sex. Even in our modern times this is a general social belief. Women who are sex and porn workers confront this belief. There is bound to be conflict. In general, it is women who hate sex workers and men just try to appease the women on this topic.
It seems to me this is the cycle one reads about all over the place now. Women have high value when they are young, and have a clock running to find a man, persuade him to settle down with her and have kids. Liberal, progressivism with its focus on equity and social causes looks at that, calls it unfair and wants to make it not so. It tells women to have careers and put off having kids and then tries to force the scales so there are no consequences for that. Prostitution is just one of these games that leverages and commoditises women's youthful advantage and pretends that there isn't a clock ticking away in the background. There is always a price that has to be paid though whether individually or for society. If we normalise prostitution then we will live in a society where women are prostitutes or competing with prostitutes which in such a society amounts to being a free prostitute. How grim will prostitution be once the market is saturated? Micropayment prostitution? This doesn't even do men any good.

Women do have power over men by using sex.... prostitution devalues the currency. It's the modern monetary policy of mating strategies.
Women have an advantage in keeping the cost of sex very high

More women support mandatory hijab than men

More women oppose abortion than men

Women are terrified of sex robots, which they know will erode the sexual power that they hold over men

Women are more misogynistic than men on average

Men work together, women seek to destroy each other to secure the most desirable mate

Never trust women. They are Machiavellian by design

Intrasexual female competition is the root of all evil