Steerzing in a New Direction...

Old subthreads
mordacious1

Re: Steerzing in a New Direction...

Post by mordacious1 »

We all know how Steersman is going out:

Dr: Don’t worry Mr Steersman, we will pull you through this.
Steersman: You’re my doctor?
Dr: Yes, do you have a problem with me being a woman doctor?
Steersman: No, but you’re wrong about the woman part. Since you’re obviously too old NOT to be post-menopausal, you can’t be a woman. You see….(followed by 45 minute in-depth explanation)…after which the life support machine mysteriously malfunctions.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Steersman wrote: ...Dignitas...
"Take the TGV to Europe and..."

John D

Post by John D »

free thoughtpolice wrote: DSCN1363 (2).JPGDSCN1363 (2).JPG
ftp…. Did you shoot this? Really great.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

mordacious1 wrote: We all know how Steersman is going out:

Dr: Don’t worry Mr Steersman, we will pull you through this.
Steersman: You’re my doctor?
Dr: Yes, do you have a problem with me being a woman doctor?
Steersman: No, but you’re wrong about the woman part. Since you’re obviously too old NOT to be post-menopausal, you can’t be a woman. You see….(followed by 45 minute in-depth explanation)…after which the life support machine mysteriously malfunctions.
:-) Poetic justice? ;-)

Though in my own defense Your Honour, I'm not flogging that particular horse just to "afflict" women comfortable in their own vanity for the hell of it. It's part and parcel of the general corruption of biology which is far too ubiquitous and which ultimately seems to stem from a dogmatic insistence that sex is immutable and/or that every organism has a sex. See this post of Graham Linehan and my comments thereat, this one in particular:

https://grahamlinehan.substack.com/p/a- ... 059886?s=r

I had actually quoted a passage, in a LetterWiki post, from Wikipedia's article on sequential hermaphroditism, in clownfish in particular, which had subsequently been corrupted by the wokeish transish inquistion there because it apparently called into question their dogma that every member of every species has a sex:
The rest of the [clownfish] group is made up of progressively smaller non-breeders, which have no functioning gonads. If the female dies, the male gains weight and BECOMES the female for that group. The largest non-breeding fish then sexually matures and BECOMES the male of the group.
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =917680304

The point is that the biological definitions stipulate that it is the presence or absence of functional gonads of either of two types which determines whether any organism is of either sex, or of neither. As the original Wikipedia phrasing underlines.

However, that conflicts rather profoundly with the schlock being peddled by the woke that sex category membership is just a matter of "developmental pathways" - as "philosopher" Kathleen Stock puts it - entirely absent any functionality at all:
A plausible and much more minimal alternative says that each sex is defined by the presence of a developmental pathway to produce certain gamete types - either larger, relatively static ones (in which case, the pathway belongs to females) or smaller, more mobile ones (in which case, males).
https://lcp.law.duke.edu/article/the-im ... ol85-iss1/

The rot is pervasive and pernicious; menopausees getting their "female" membership cards revoked is only "collateral damage".

But, as another case in point, I expect we've all had exposure to the nutcases claiming that sex is spectrum. But there are many other variations on that theme that are just as problematic. For instance, this NCBI/NIH online book insists that "Every cell has a sex":

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK222291/

They never do explain exactly what grants every cell membership in that category. But it conflicts rather badly with the definition for "female" that they endorse in their glossary:
Female: An individual organism of the sex that bears young or that produces ova or eggs.
You probably won't be surprised to learn the difficulty I had trying to get one interlocutor to explain exactly how it is that every cell could still manage to be able to bear young or produce ova itself: :roll:

https://www.realityslaststand.com/p/wee ... 959843?s=r

Does not compute. Though I was amused to see that my interlocutor in that exchange - Middle Aged Lady - has deleted all her comments. Maybe she at least had the sense to finally be embarrassed by what she was claiming, particularly since she had also claimed, apparently with some justification, to be a molecular biologist:

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

MarcusAu wrote:
Steersman wrote: ...Dignitas...
"Take the TGV to Europe and..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rx7dFJyzrYg
:-) "interesting" song. Stream of consciousness sort of thing but with a thread and some high points: "are we living in the last days? ... when you're capturing the zeitgeist and widening the motorway". Though I'm glad they provided the lyrics as it is otherwise unintelligible.

But looked at the Wikipedia article on Dignitas and this leapt out at me:
21% of people receiving assisted suicide in Dignitas do not have a terminal or progressive illness, but rather "weariness of life".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dignitas_ ... anisation)

Reminds me of a rather stark observation from Emerson that I'd run across many years ago. I'd understood it of course, but with advancing years it has a bit more "bite":
Old age brings along with its ugliness the comfort that you will soon be out of it - which ought to be a substantial relief to such discontented pendulums as we are. To be out of the war, out of debt, out of the drouth, out of the blues, out of the dentist's hands, out of the second thoughts, mortifications, and remorses that inflict such twinges and shooting pains - out of the next winter, and the the high prices, and company below your ambition - surely these are soothing hints.
But, on something of a lighter note ;-) though on the same topic, Loretta Lynn's birthday today (14th; 90), some "festivities" on which linked to this oldish video of hers:

https://gcnews.substack.com/p/thursday- ... 4-2022?s=r

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Nice eagle shot, ftp. Today I'm going to try to carve out some time and photograph a very accessible nest about 70 miles from where I live. If I get anything worth posting I'll share them soon.

John D

Post by John D »

Steers - that Loretta Lynn song is fantastic. I have always been a fan, but I somehow missed this one. This is going into my song book for sure. Thanks for sharing.

The pit is so great. A mix of inspired posts and retarded abuse. Love you all.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

John D wrote:
ftp…. Did you shoot this? Really great.
Yes. A local bird of a pair I see all the time. Thanks.

free thoughtpolice

Gumby wrote:
Nice eagle shot, ftp. Today I'm going to try to carve out some time and photograph a very accessible nest about 70 miles from where I live. If I get anything worth posting I'll share them soon.
Thanks Gumby. I take a lot of pictures of this bird and its mate and yesterday got a few pictures of it preening. With this pic it has its nictating membrane over its eye as it finishes a chin scratch. Their nest came down a few years ago and I couldn't find the new one but yesterday I talked to one of the people that lives under this tree and they told me where the new one is, so hopefully I can get some good shots of it.
Good luck with your nest. More often than not birds sitting on eggs aren't visible from the ground and they don't come and go that often so it takes some patience and luck to get them landing and leaving the nest.
When the young are getting ready to fledge they stand on the rim of the nest a lot, so that is a good time to look for shots. Her they usually fledge around mid July.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Steersman wrote: Reminds me of a rather stark observation from Emerson that I'd run across many years ago. I'd understood it of course, but with advancing years it has a bit more "bite":

Old age brings along with its ugliness the comfort that you will soon be out of it - which ought to be a substantial relief to such discontented pendulums as we are. To be out of the war, out of debt, out of the drouth, out of the blues, out of the dentist's hands, out of the second thoughts, mortifications, and remorses that inflict such twinges and shooting pains - out of the next winter, and the the high prices, and company below your ambition - surely these are soothing hints.
And your reminiscence reminds me of the old joke about two passengers on an ocean liner.

One is being sick over the side. So the other says "Cheer up, it's not going to kill you". To which the first replies "Don't say that - it's only thought of prospect of death that keeps me going".

You seemed to give the sentiment of that in your excerpt - but I can't believe you didn't quote it yourself. Not every bon mot makes it into Playboy in cartoon form I suppose.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Any one have P J O'Rouke in the dead pool?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Is Elon Musk trying to buy Twitter, or just expose its inner workings?

https://theconservativetreehouse.com/bl ... ore-231743

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

free thoughtpolice wrote: Thanks Gumby. I take a lot of pictures of this bird and its mate and yesterday got a few pictures of it preening. With this pic it has its nictating membrane over its eye as it finishes a chin scratch. Their nest came down a few years ago and I couldn't find the new one but yesterday I talked to one of the people that lives under this tree and they told me where the new one is, so hopefully I can get some good shots of it.
Good luck with your nest. More often than not birds sitting on eggs aren't visible from the ground and they don't come and go that often so it takes some patience and luck to get them landing and leaving the nest.
When the young are getting ready to fledge they stand on the rim of the nest a lot, so that is a good time to look for shots. Her they usually fledge around mid July.
Well, I did take the trip today, and had much better luck with eagles than I do at home. I'll post more after I get done with post.
Attachments
small 2511.jpg
(1.42 MiB) Downloaded 242 times

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

One more for today.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Steersman wrote:
Good song, Steersman. Watching that video was a real comfort to GF, before she went to see her dad in the hospital, this morning.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

John D wrote: Steers - that Loretta Lynn song is fantastic. I have always been a fan, but I somehow missed this one. This is going into my song book for sure. Thanks for sharing.

The pit is so great. A mix of inspired posts and retarded abuse. Love you all.
:handgestures-thumbupleft: :-)

She and ol' Willie Nelson sure put some feeling into the song - both of whom are about the same age (90 & 88) which probably has something to do with that "feeling".

But some "poignant" lyrics:
When I was a child, I cried
Until my needs were satisfied
My needs have grown up, pound for pound
I'll be at peace when they lay me down
"needs have grown up, pound for pound", indeed.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Hunter Biden was a good boy, he dindu nuffin wrong says Joe Biden's sister Valerie== who has been a rotten fixer for Joe Biden since 1972.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

MarcusAu wrote:
Steersman wrote: Reminds me of a rather stark observation from Emerson that I'd run across many years ago. I'd understood it of course, but with advancing years it has a bit more "bite":

And your reminiscence reminds me of the old joke about two passengers on an ocean liner.

One is being sick over the side. So the other says "Cheer up, it's not going to kill you". To which the first replies "Don't say that - it's only thought of prospect of death that keeps me going".

You seemed to give the sentiment of that in your excerpt - but I can't believe you didn't quote it yourself. Not every bon mot makes it into Playboy in cartoon form I suppose.
:-) Definitely a belly-laugh there.

But, you mean, didn't quote the joke? Must have missed that issue of Playboy, postal strike or something of that sort ... ;-)

But a rather remarkable publication, at least at the time I was reading it - 1960s or 1970s or thereabouts. Remember my siblings - 2 sisters & a brother - and I as kids at home from school often fighting over who got to read it first when it showed up in the mail - in the proverbial "plain brown wrapper" - before mom and dad got home. But also remember some incredible interviews therein - Lenny Bruce and Peter O'Toole in particular; "gobsmacking" insights in many cases, at least so they seemed to a young and callow fellow as I was then, but many have withstood the test of time.

And the cartoons - Gahan Wilson and his "Is Nothing Sacred?", Little Annie Fanny and Daddy Warbucks, Shel Silverstein and his shot at Elizabeth Taylor:

GahanWilson_NothingSacred_1A.jpg
(83.77 KiB) Downloaded 229 times

https://genius.com/Shel-silverstein-liz-lyrics

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times ... ;-)

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

I think John D., in particular, will like this podcast. But there's plenty-there for fans of Steven Pinker, Sam Harris... and the skeptics' heyday of thinking about thinking...

Compulsion, Self-Deception, and the Brain:
https://www.econtalk.org/luca-dellanna- ... the-brain/

--

On a lighter note... an amusing witness takes the stand...

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Service Dog wrote:
Good song, Steersman. Watching that video was a real comfort to GF, before she went to see her dad in the hospital, this morning.
:) :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Probably of some benefit to all of us with parents still living - particularly ones more or less on death's doorstep - to realize that we're probably not doing them any favours by more or less forcing them to stick around to the bitter end. "They shoot horses, don't they?"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/They_Shoo ... %3F_(film)

Though something of a bitter-sweet stage in life. Maybe some, or even most "at peace when then lay me down" but also some sadness at "being done too soon":

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

A Danish study, published last week in The Lancet, suggests that traditional vaccines such as Johnson & Johnson and AstraZeneca may be safer for overall mortality—including COVID-19 deaths, accidental deaths and cardiovascular deaths—than the experimental mRNA-based “vaccines”...

In fact, the mRNA group experienced an increased death rate, above the placebo group.

The study explains that there now exists “ample evidence that vaccines can have broad heterologous effects on the immune system.” Furthermore, “these effects can lead to additional protection [J&J, AZ] or increasing susceptibility [Pfizer, Moderna] to unrelated infections or even non-infectious immune-mediated diseases.” [full-blown VAIDS]

the researchers explain that the current system for testing vaccines does not incorporate potential unexpected outcomes, adding:

“Therefore, as it has now been established in numerous studies, vaccines may have completely unexpected effects on overall mortality, different from what could be anticipated based on the protection against the vaccine-targeted disease.”

According to the study, when the “new COVID-19 vaccines” were tested in RCTs against placebo/control vaccines, the trials were not designed to evaluate the impact on overall mortality. The researchers’ comment that the possibility of observing such outcomes was hindered further by the short follow-up in the trials (individuals in the control groups received the vaccine after 3-6 months) after the U.S. Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA) issuance of “emergency use authorization” (EUA).

Additionally, as numerous government agencies reference mortality rate while promoting COVID-19 vaccines, the researchers report that no formal studies have been conducted to determine whether the new COVID-19 vaccines—in the context of a pandemic—reduce overall mortality.

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm ... id=4072489

Keating

Post by Keating »

Think WuFlu finally got me. I haven't had a test, and I don't plan to (don't want to be on the system; I've been hermitting from colleagues, friends and family), but I know I was a close contact last Saturday. After 4 days, I'm clearly in the recovery phase, and it isn't anywhere close to being the worst respiratory virus I've ever had, indeed, it's been exceptionally mild. It's just the flu bro. Definitely worth destroying society over.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Quebec's health ministry pledges to look into the links between "“Femdom (female domination) foot worship” fetishism and govt Covid dictates.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 59082.html

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

free thoughtpolice

Gumby wrote: One more for today.

DSCN2493-SharpenAI-Focus-DeNoiseAI-standard-standard-scale-0_50x-gigapixel.jpg
Those are great shots. You aren't cheating and using a drone are you?

I am a bit jealous. I found an active nest (there are at least 2 others near here) and the closest I could get to it for a clear shot was about 300 yards, and I will have to get up early to get good lighting. (the horror)
On the other hand, the people that own the property next to the nest have built a deck that appears to have been built to look at the nest. As these people are kind of my neighbors (1/2 mile down the road) and I know some of their immediate neighbors, I'm looking at getting access to that deck or another vantage point.

free thoughtpolice

DSCN1407 (2).JPG
(1.96 MiB) Downloaded 175 times
The nest in question.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Who the fuck is Taylor Lorenz?

(Shatterface & Lsuoma spotted her on 'pyt radar-- in 2018.)

What the fuck is this kerfuffle of negative attention she's currently drawing?

(I have zero Fear Of Missing Out-- by not knowing or caring about the inciting incident. But the following two reverberations are excellent.)

1. https://amgreatness.com/2022/04/15/the- ... -wokeness/
"The Pathological Nature of Wokeness:
Leftist cancel culture is being driven by the emotionally deranged agenda of teenage girls. "

(the author states the obvious: "woke" is just Tumblr gone mainstream. But his analysis is magnificent. This Taylor Lorenz person is used as a case study.)

2. https://greenwald.substack.com/p/your-t ... tional?s=w
"Your Top Priority is The Emotional Comfort of the Most Powerful Elites, Which You Fulfill by Never Criticizing Them:
Corporate journalists have license to use their huge platforms to malign, expose and destroy anyone they want. Your moral duty: sit in respectful silence and never object." By Glenn Greenwald
(Again citing Taylor Lorenz... as an example of a broader problem.)

Apparently the Taylor Lorenz tempest occurred on Jon Stewart's podcast.
I started to search for the episode, but was distracted by following thumbnail (which I have not yet watched.)

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

Service Dog wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:57 pm
Specifics unknown. but I've heard of her. Recall that she is regarded as a lefty press crybully, not shy about being really nasty when it suits her but quite thin-skinned.

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

Service Dog wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:57 pm

(Shatterface & Lsuoma spotted her on 'pyt radar-- in 2018.)

What the fuck is this kerfuffle of negative attention she's currently drawing?

(I have zero Fear Of Missing Out-- by not knowing or caring about the inciting incident. But the following two reverberations are excellent.)

1. https://amgreatness.com/2022/04/15/the- ... -wokeness/
"The Pathological Nature of Wokeness:
Leftist cancel culture is being driven by the emotionally deranged agenda of teenage girls. "

(the author states the obvious: "woke" is just Tumblr gone mainstream. But his analysis is magnificent. This Taylor Lorenz person is used as a case study.)

2. https://greenwald.substack.com/p/your-t ... tional?s=w
"Your Top Priority is The Emotional Comfort of the Most Powerful Elites, Which You Fulfill by Never Criticizing Them:
Corporate journalists have license to use their huge platforms to malign, expose and destroy anyone they want. Your moral duty: sit in respectful silence and never object." By Glenn Greenwald
(Again citing Taylor Lorenz... as an example of a broader problem.)

Apparently the Taylor Lorenz tempest occurred on Jon Stewart's podcast.
I started to search for the episode, but was distracted by following thumbnail (which I have not yet watched.)
Mint a ten trillion dollar coin and give it to China? Sounds fine, but then what does that do to the value of or confidence in the dollar? It only works if China has the same confidence in the value of that coin. TBH I'm not enough of an economist to understand half of what is going on but I get the feeling their arguments treat US monetary policy as being a closed system.

John D

Post by John D »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote:
Mint a ten trillion dollar coin and give it to China? Sounds fine, but then what does that do to the value of or confidence in the dollar? It only works if China has the same confidence in the value of that coin. TBH I'm not enough of an economist to understand half of what is going on but I get the feeling their arguments treat US monetary policy as being a closed system.
Naïve leftist idiots. They actually think they are being smart when they say "Geee wizz... can't we just make the monies and send the monies where we want and make all the stuffs work good and all is now fair and geeee wizzz."

Fuck these fucking idiots.

In general... the government should not give money to anyone or anything that is not being productive. Otherwise you decrease the incentive to work, reduce productivity, and cause inflation. This is all remarkable simple, but people want the government to make things fair. Ok... I get it... life is not fair. I have heard that from time to time.

The left complains that the government subsidizes business... and this is true. Often this subsidy allows a business to continue operation and compete with an international rival. This does provide opportunity for increased production. But, the welfare state adds absolutely nothing to productivity. It actual incentivizes sloth. The largest government payouts are to medicare, medicaid and disability in the US. These programs add NOTHING to productivity. They just take money from producers and citizens and filter it into government sponsored services. THIS IS NOT PRODUCTIVITY. It is simply taking money from the productive and giving it to the unproductive.

John D

Post by John D »

Nice birding today with my friend Carl... but I am sick. I might have a simple cold or I might have the coof. In any case... I am sick.

But we saw a bald eagle, herons, scaup, buffleheads, ruby crowned kinglet, tree sparrow, song sparrow, etc.etc. This year, the local great horned owls have three owlets. We watched the mother owl sit on the nest... and watched the owlets pop up their fuzzy white heads. Very cool. The nest is only about 200 feet from the trail. Funny that the Audubon Society told me all the birds were dead.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Well, we got the ospreys back from the Baja this week, which is always an excitement! Pretty much everything else we see are year-round residents, but the ospreys desert us from October to April.

Had a really bizarre experience today, though - I've been cleaning up the garage from the jumbled mess it was, and this morning I had three Anna's Hummingbirds fly in. They sat on the rafters for a bit, zoomed around some more, then flew off. The whole thing lasted maybe 25 seconds, but I didn't realize just how loud they are. Normally when you hear them outside, it's a noticeable buzz, but inside, with the echo reflecting off the cathedral roof, it was MUCH louder.

free thoughtpolice

Happy Eatster!

John D

Post by John D »

Lsuoma wrote: Well, we got the ospreys back from the Baja this week, which is always an excitement! Pretty much everything else we see are year-round residents, but the ospreys desert us from October to April.

Had a really bizarre experience today, though - I've been cleaning up the garage from the jumbled mess it was, and this morning I had three Anna's Hummingbirds fly in. They sat on the rafters for a bit, zoomed around some more, then flew off. The whole thing lasted maybe 25 seconds, but I didn't realize just how loud they are. Normally when you hear them outside, it's a noticeable buzz, but inside, with the echo reflecting off the cathedral roof, it was MUCH louder.
So cool Lsuoma. I am jealous. We only get Ruby throated hummingbirds here... but they are a delight. When I was in Brazil I saw a swallow-tailed hummingbird. It flew within about three feet of my head and just hovered there for a bit. Wow... I was like .... what the fuck! And the noise is like a whaaaaaaaa. Haha. It just checked me out for a bit. They are six inches long including the tail. I have been in love with Brazil ever since. God damn that was cool. Perhaps it is the largest hummingbird in the world.

My other great hummingbird experience was in Bosman Montana. I stayed at some condos there. Many of the condo owners had hummingbird feeders and they had tons of hummingbirds... Costas and Annas and others... and the birds were so aggressive to each other. It was like they were at war... diving at each other and attacking. Very entertaining for me... but probably not to them.

I sometimes put up hummingbird feeders but I get few birds. The Ruby-throated is a beautiful bird and it is common... but my yard is just not quite right for attracting them. I see them a few times a year.

Keating

Post by Keating »

birds.jpg
(396.38 KiB) Downloaded 151 times
The only birds I get in my backyard. Although, I have seen kestrels hunting in the reserve near the river a few blocks from here.

I put the feeder in for rosellas, but the cockatoos discovered it and bullied them away.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

The only other species we see regularly are Rufous, and they aren't really as common as Anna's. There are a couple of Anna's who I think MAY be just about ready to hand-feed. They buzz around within six inches of my head, so I'm spending time sitting on a chair in my read shirt with a couple of small hand-feeders on my knee. Fingers crossed!

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Also, Jodie Whittaker is being replaced as The Doctor. Any bets on what oppressed class will be replacing her??

Keating

Post by Keating »

I wonder if the TARDIS is wheel chair accessible.

free thoughtpolice

Lsuoma wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:34 pm
The only other species we see regularly are Rufous, and they aren't really as common as Anna's. There are a couple of Anna's who I think MAY be just about ready to hand-feed. They buzz around within six inches of my head, so I'm spending time sitting on a chair in my read shirt with a couple of small hand-feeders on my knee. Fingers crossed!
It will work with a bit of patience Hummingbirds are really smart considering the tiny skulls they have. Birds are better at recognizing individual humans than vice versa. Migratory Rufous Hummingbirds would show up at the spot where my feeder had been for years after I had taken it down.
A few times when I had rescued hummers that had been trapped against the window after they flew into my house they were relaxed enough to sit inside my partially closed hand long enough to get them to the open door with no struggle, as if they were tame.
If you behave calmly, speak in an unexcited tone they relate to it just as a dog or a cat does.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Lsuoma wrote: Also, Jodie Whittaker is being replaced as The Doctor. Any bets on what oppressed class will be replacing her??
Is this really an area of concern - at least 9 out of the 15 have been gay, or at least presented as gay, or been English (which amounts to the same thing).

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

free thoughtpolice wrote: Those are great shots. You aren't cheating and using a drone are you?

I am a bit jealous. I found an active nest (there are at least 2 others near here) and the closest I could get to it for a clear shot was about 300 yards, and I will have to get up early to get good lighting. (the horror)
On the other hand, the people that own the property next to the nest have built a deck that appears to have been built to look at the nest. As these people are kind of my neighbors (1/2 mile down the road) and I know some of their immediate neighbors, I'm looking at getting access to that deck or another vantage point.
No way would I use a drone to photograph a baka eagle nest. First of all I could scare them and make them abandon the nest. Also, I would be in deep shit with the feds were I ever caught.

The nest is basically at eye level because the viewing area is on a hill rising from the river bank, which the tree the nest is in rises from. From the eagles' perspective they're high up in the tree, from our perspective they're almost level from the viewing area. - only about 150 feet away from us. A bit of geographical luck that makes this nest one of the most visited bald eagle nests in Ohio. I've seen pics of this nest from professional photographers; they're spectacular.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

*bald, not baka 🙄🙄🙄

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

free thoughtpolice wrote: DSCN1407 (2).JPG
The nest in question.
really good shot under the circumstances. The eagle herself is quite sharp, and it's nice to see the full nest. But yeah that's about as best as I was ever able to get until I found out about this nest that's 70 mi away from me. This will definitely be an annual day trip for me. My shots are still lacking because I need a better zoom lens for my 90D. I had to resort to my p900 for any kind of decent close-up. Good thing I brought both cameras; I almost left the p900 at home. By the time I get there next year I'm hoping to have added a 600 mm zoom lens to my lens collection. That will be perfect for these eagles.

John D

Post by John D »

So.. haha... life stories.

My daughter is in first or second grade.... something like that. It is New Years Eve and a friend of mine has one extra ticket for the Bare Naked Ladies. You know... the band. I say I will take it (which is a bit of a dick move cause I left my wife at home). Anyway... it was a good show and my wife forgave me for leaving her with the kids on New Years Eve.

Then... parent teacher conferences come around and we go see my daughter's teacher. and so... the teacher makes this accusation: The teacher explains that she was asking the kids what they did on New Years Eve. And... My daughter says to the class: "My dad went to the naked lady show and mom and I stayed home!" Haha. When the teacher said this I just cracked up laughing. I'll bet the teacher wanted to call social services on me or something. I told the teacher this was a rock band... and their name was "Bare Naked Ladies". She just frowned at me. and I laughed for several more minutes. Fuck off cunt! Haha.

But... I guess now it is a normal thing for 10 year olds to talk about errections with their dad. Times have changed.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Keating wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:05 pm
I wonder if the TARDIS is wheel chair accessible.
Your comment made me realize that that conveyance may have been very well named all those decades ago...

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

As a proper pitter, I must report that this little dalek really likes this corner of the fire escape,
to bleat his insistent single-note mating call. From dawn til the hottest part of the afternoon.
But mostly while I'm drinking my daily hot cup of fiber. And so my shits are also proper.
Shot with my 2015 Android thru locally-sourced artisinal privacy-residue on the windowpane.

I have also recorded a single-take version of The Replacements 'Can't Hardly Wait' using a single-humbucker First Act 222 thru a ProCo RAT into a 35 watt ZT 'Lunchbox Junior', with the little dalek going nuts outside-- & falling silent every time I stop strumming. Also featured: ambulances. Coming over the bridge from Brooklyn. They're driven by Hassidic guys. With Hebrew writing on the side. And their sirens are twice as loud as all the other ambulances because of course they are. I have named our ensemble: Jewish Ambulances
The only person to hear it-- is GF, who offered the following review:
"That's certainly what the inside of our house sounds like."

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Her codename definitely starts with "C".

John D

Post by John D »

Service Dog wrote: As a proper pitter, I must report that this little dalek really likes this corner of the fire escape,
to bleat his insistent single-note mating call. From dawn til the hottest part of the afternoon.
But mostly while I'm drinking my daily hot cup of fiber. And so my shits are also proper.
Shot with my 2015 Android thru locally-sourced artisinal privacy-residue on the windowpane.

I have also recorded a single-take version of The Replacements 'Can't Hardly Wait' using a single-humbucker First Act 222 thru a ProCo RAT into a 35 watt ZT 'Lunchbox Junior', with the little dalek going nuts outside-- & falling silent every time I stop strumming. Also featured: ambulances. Coming over the bridge from Brooklyn. They're driven by Hassidic guys. With Hebrew writing on the side. And their sirens are twice as loud as all the other ambulances because of course they are. I have named our ensemble: Jewish Ambulances
The only person to hear it-- is GF, who offered the following review:
"That's certainly what the inside of our house sounds like."
That is a House Sparrow. They are considered a pest by law. You are within your rights to kill it. I am sure you can't fire a shot gun but you might consider a tennis racket. There are traps available. You catch the little fuckers and then pinch off their head with pliers.

John D

Post by John D »

I wonder how many House Sparrows I have to kill before my family disowns me.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

"Are not two sparrows sold for a cent? And yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father. But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So do not fear; you are more valuable than many sparrows".

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Lsuoma wrote: Also, Jodie Whittaker is being replaced as The Doctor. Any bets on what oppressed class will be replacing her??
Her ass in jogging tights was the only reason I even attempted watching Broadchurch Season 3.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

MarcusAu wrote: "Are not two sparrows sold for a cent? And yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father. But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So do not fear; you are more valuable than many sparrows".

free thoughtpolice

Gumby wrote:
No way would I use a drone to photograph a baka eagle nest. First of all I could scare them and make them abandon the nest. Also, I would be in deep shit with the feds were I ever caught.
I was joking. Not only would it be illegal (here too) but they will fiercely protect their nest. Your drone would probably get destroyed in short order.

free thoughtpolice

Meanwhile, 3 miles away in town I miss out on some cool pictures.
https://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/caug ... -1.5865839

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Who is really controls Joe Biden?

The Easter Bunny.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

FYI, on Twitter and FB, Justin Vacula has told race con artist, Mandisa '58GG' Thomas, and the rest of the wokers at American Atheists, 'I'm your huckleberry.'

:popcorn:

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Service Dog wrote: Who is really controls Joe Biden?

The Easter Bunny.
I used to play the Easter Bunny and the kids would sit on my lap and stroke the hair of my costume. And I'd whisper in their ears, 'Now hunt for my eggs. And if you find a carrot, tug it hard to pull it out of the ground.''

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

And I just got put in Facebook Jail for joking on a friend's post showing a still from THE YEARLING, "Now go shoot the Yearling, son."

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: And I just got put in Facebook Jail for joking on a friend's post showing a still from THE YEARLING, "Now go shoot the Yearling, son."

I have a monthly theme on FB, very deliberate effort to be perma-banned. In general, it's crude memes, disgusting jokes or "off limits" political subjects. Most of my FB friends are ex-military so I'm sure you can imagine the replies.

Anyway, a month or two back, I decided to run a series of "Adult movie quotes" memes - the format is simple - a still taken from an adult movie with added text to subvert the obvious setting. One of my efforts, a close up of a porn queen's face (contorted in severe discomfort) with the added text "The face you pull when you step on lego" - I got a very sternly worded warning, a seven day suspension and a torrent of abuse from my mates.

I hate FB...

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

This was two strikes you're out for me, as I'd previously opined that a hideous music festival poster was "decoupage from Hell" and whoever designed it deserved to be shot. But FB missed the NYC subway terrorist's years of racist rants and death threats.

And meanwhile, the hit squad that Mandisa '58GG' Thomas sent to hate-troll Vacula created a meme with my mug and quoting me calling Queen Lateefa "a grifter and all-around nasty piece of work." I wholeheartedly stand by the comment -- she's a big fat walking mountain of shit. But mess with me or my people personally and I will fuck you up.

As soon as I get out of FB jail tomorrow, I'm gonna wish Zuckerberg a happy birthday.