Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
Jonathan

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by Jonathan »

ReneeHendricks wrote:At least she acknowledged she was wrong (https://twitter.com/OpheliaBenson/statu ... 4593467392). Still, I find it horribly ironic that she has the balls to call me a liar (http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... ent-314910) all the while perpetuating that I've put out videos calling her a cunt. *Almost* makes me wish I hadn't warned her about Dawn Gordon.
Nice of her to apologise for it.....oh wait.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

JackRayner wrote:Not to start that shit fest up again, being that I'm one of those self-centered 'Merkin that doesn't care if my home state sinks into the fucking sea in a few years from me driving my tiny car around or having the A/C on while I'm in hermit-mode, but here's something topical to the "conversation" a few pages back:

[youtube]Qbn1rCZz1ow[/youtube]

[By the way, John D. Is the "D" short for "Doe"? John Doe is another of my favorite pseudonyms. Jack being derivative from John, and John being...well...]
David Rose has a long history of making stuff up. http://www.realclimate.org search for David Rose. Lots of nonsense.

I agree we probably should move this off of this thread.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Dilurk wrote: I think I understand why people don't comment on her blog.
Aside from the fact that it's often so difficult to know what Nanny Fee's getting at, you often wonder if she's got a mentally challenged orangutan loose on her computer.

Outwest

Post by Outwest »

Maybe Ophelia will delete hers and all the other nasty comments about you off her post. :lol:

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

papillon wrote:
Steersman wrote: I think he’s been taking testosterone replacement therapy – to counteract the damage that makes males from females – and his testicles have apparently shriveled to nothing …
When I watched him say that, I had to skip the vid back to make sure he was serious and just not being all post-modern and ironic.
But no, he was either dead serious or poeing the audience for his own amusement.
Quite possibly the most stupid thing I've ever heard anyone say on a stage.. (Oscar acceptance speeches aside).
Yea, that was certainly a jaw-dropping moment for me too; I asked him on another post of his if he would like to try arguing the analogous case that blacks are melanin damaged whites ....

Links for those who haven’t run across them yet:
Greg Laden’s blog arguing that “men=testosterone damaged women” and the second is from his comments [37:06] at the Skepchick/Convergence panel discussion arguing the same position (check out the likes and dislikes counts) ...

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

I swear though, sometimes Ophelia writes like a chimp learning sign languague. Sometimes, she'll make a post like this:

"Misogyny, is it?

by Bonzo Ophelia Benson.

Yes. It's everywhere. Misogyny. Look:

[cut to embed of a video or blog where someone writes or says something maybe a bit sexist]

Misogyny. And friends of mysogynists too. It's everywhere. Like privilege."

I can imagine her afterwards, leaning down to give a hairy primate a pat on the head. And then, once's she's done with Steffy, she gives Bonzo a banana for being such a good, clever chimp, and that he's learning to use the computer so well. Along with a small scold for attempting to mate with Greg again...

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Steersman wrote: Links for those who haven’t run across them yet:
Greg Laden’s blog arguing that “men=testosterone damaged women” and the second is from his comments [37:06] at the Skepchick/Convergence panel discussion arguing the same position (check out the likes and dislikes counts) ...
And not forgetting Zvan's ill-conceived attempt to cover loverboy's arse on the matter by attempting to desperately tell us that 'damage' is synonymous with 'change', and that Greg was really trying to challenge assumptions. Or something. It's really quite amazingly pitiful:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... ed-brains/

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

rayshul wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:03 am

I can't tell myself given that my settings on Twitter are set to my time and I'm not going anywhere near B&W anyway. :/
I don’t know a lot about the processes associated with reading Twitter accounts, but Ophelia seems to indicate that you have to sign out of your own to view anybody else’s:
Ophelia Benson (#37) wrote::
October 18, 2012 at 5:18 pm
Wow.

I signed out of Twitter so that I could look at Wooly Bumblebee’s account to see if the above is a poe. It’s not. “John Brown” told her Stephanie called him a misogynist because he declared a “cease fire” on Greta Christina (which misrepresents what Stephanie said – of course), and she flew into a rage and left that pile of steaming ordure here.
rayshul wrote:I'm also a believer in words being less important than actions, which is another reason I can't really be like, well, Ikonografer is talking smack but... they also gave money... and I can imagine that having 4 kids is pretty expensive.
Likewise about the words and actions and I quite agree about the cost of raising kids – generally amazed at, and quite appreciative of, the efforts of parents in that regard. But “talking smack” is, I think, still letting one’s emotions get the better of one’s reason …

soldierwhy

Post by soldierwhy »

Steersman wrote:Links for those who haven’t run across them yet:
What. The. Fuck?

Munkhaus

Post by Munkhaus »

Rystefn wrote:
JackRayner wrote:I've distanced myself from the term recently [not because of the disparate root words.] and began using "relationship anarchist" instead...but only in situations where I have time to actually explain what that means. The way I would define "relationship anarchy" is that I don't set or recognize distinctions between what is a friend and what is an intimate partner. I see it as a sort of spectrum, where the relationship is free to progress however it will. Reciprocation will dictate where the relationship falls on the spectrum. The concept of "polyamory" seems too...relationship-y to me. Like, I don't think of my current primary lover as a girlfriend, even though we've been at it for a while. If she wanted to start calling it a boyfriend/girlfriend type of thing, I wouldn't care just as long as she understands it doesn't change the nature of the relationship. And...with the way she's entered exclusive relationships without putting a stop to our thing, and kept them in the dark about it, I don't think her calling me her "boyfriend" would change much. :?

I'm not 100% okay with that last little factoid, but I've learned to get over it. I've suggested that she come clean about us from the start many times in the past, but that would just mess with her plans. I'm not the "provider" archetype, and I'm not interested in being, so I guess that's the type of thing she seeks from supplementary relationships. I really don't know if I would or wouldn't do the same, in her shoes, so I just shrug. If one day she finds someone that she enjoys being around as much as I, [unlikely 8-) ] and who is also a provider, I fear I might not hear from her again. :lol:

So, when it comes to the summary of your blog post
"I'll fuck your girlfriend anyway, so you may as well learn to be ok with it."
I guess my actions would show that I am in reluctant agreeance.
Hey, if it works for you, have at it. My current girlfriend walked into this relationship knowing that I could up and leave at any moment with or without notice, and she still knows that nothing has changed about that, but she likes to be called that, so I go along with it.

Also, full disclosure: I am 100% fine with people on cheating on other people with me. It does not bother me in the slightest. I refuse to be bound by agreements that other people have made without my input. This policy is well-known among my friends, and would probably be the source of a great deal of drama in my life if I cared in the slightest that it upset them. Those who can't deal with the fact I do not consider it wrong simply don't remain my friends for long.

So yes, that does mean that I do not care how close we are, it will not stop me from sleeping with your girlfriend. Yes, that does also mean that if you want to jump into bed with me, it won't bother me if you're with someone else.
What happened to you? Have you talked to anyone about it? :cry: Cos, like, I've listened to enough Loveline to know a proper mental when I hear one.

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn »

Munkhaus wrote:
Rystefn wrote:
JackRayner wrote:I've distanced myself from the term recently [not because of the disparate root words.] and began using "relationship anarchist" instead...but only in situations where I have time to actually explain what that means. The way I would define "relationship anarchy" is that I don't set or recognize distinctions between what is a friend and what is an intimate partner. I see it as a sort of spectrum, where the relationship is free to progress however it will. Reciprocation will dictate where the relationship falls on the spectrum. The concept of "polyamory" seems too...relationship-y to me. Like, I don't think of my current primary lover as a girlfriend, even though we've been at it for a while. If she wanted to start calling it a boyfriend/girlfriend type of thing, I wouldn't care just as long as she understands it doesn't change the nature of the relationship. And...with the way she's entered exclusive relationships without putting a stop to our thing, and kept them in the dark about it, I don't think her calling me her "boyfriend" would change much. :?

I'm not 100% okay with that last little factoid, but I've learned to get over it. I've suggested that she come clean about us from the start many times in the past, but that would just mess with her plans. I'm not the "provider" archetype, and I'm not interested in being, so I guess that's the type of thing she seeks from supplementary relationships. I really don't know if I would or wouldn't do the same, in her shoes, so I just shrug. If one day she finds someone that she enjoys being around as much as I, [unlikely 8-) ] and who is also a provider, I fear I might not hear from her again. :lol:

So, when it comes to the summary of your blog post
"I'll fuck your girlfriend anyway, so you may as well learn to be ok with it."
I guess my actions would show that I am in reluctant agreeance.
Hey, if it works for you, have at it. My current girlfriend walked into this relationship knowing that I could up and leave at any moment with or without notice, and she still knows that nothing has changed about that, but she likes to be called that, so I go along with it.

Also, full disclosure: I am 100% fine with people on cheating on other people with me. It does not bother me in the slightest. I refuse to be bound by agreements that other people have made without my input. This policy is well-known among my friends, and would probably be the source of a great deal of drama in my life if I cared in the slightest that it upset them. Those who can't deal with the fact I do not consider it wrong simply don't remain my friends for long.

So yes, that does mean that I do not care how close we are, it will not stop me from sleeping with your girlfriend. Yes, that does also mean that if you want to jump into bed with me, it won't bother me if you're with someone else.
What happened to you? Have you talked to anyone about it? :cry: Cos, like, I've listened to enough Loveline to know a proper mental when I hear one.
What are you talking about?

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

PZ Myers says:
October 19, 2012 at 1:22 pm
Jebus. You made me suffer through that awful wooly bee person’s video. So “bitch” isn’t a mean sexist word, but when she refers to you as a bitch she doesn’t mean it in the endearing friendly empowering way? Isn’t that an admission right there that it’s intended as a negative reference to your sex?
These people seem to be professional own-foot-shooters, and they have deadly accurate aim.
So using the word "bitch" makes you a bad person?

What about this?

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2006 ... s-bitches/

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Rystefn, I'm curious. Why are you pissed off at that word that is made up of a combination of, I think you said, Greek and Latin roots? The entire English language is a combination of several root languages, so why would particular words bother you. Just curious; not critical.

JackRayner
Location: In the basement of the University of Minnesota Morris

Post by JackRayner »

papillon wrote:
Steersman wrote: I think he’s been taking testosterone replacement therapy – to counteract the damage that makes males from females – and his testicles have apparently shriveled to nothing …
When I watched him say that, I had to skip the vid back to make sure he was serious and just not being all post-modern and ironic.
But no, he was either dead serious or poeing the audience for his own amusement.
Quite possibly the most stupid thing I've ever heard anyone say on a stage.. (Oscar acceptance speeches aside).
I think he was being serious. He reasserts it in his blog. You can find a video refuting it here.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

PeeZus the Weak says:
Isn’t that an admission right there that it’s intended as a negative reference to your sex?
No, you moron, it is a reference to a form of stereotyped behaviour that uses gender as a root symbol.

For a so-called University Professor, PeeZus sure can be stupid when he wants to be. How the fuck did this clown ever argue his thesis successfully in the first place?

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Jonathan wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:At least she acknowledged she was wrong (https://twitter.com/OpheliaBenson/statu ... 4593467392). Still, I find it horribly ironic that she has the balls to call me a liar (http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... ent-314910) all the while perpetuating that I've put out videos calling her a cunt. *Almost* makes me wish I hadn't warned her about Dawn Gordon.
Nice of her to apologise for it.....oh wait.
Yeah, an apology is out of her realm.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

ReneeHendricks wrote:ROFLMAO! Ok, here's a HUGE BIG FAT LIE on the part of Ophelia Benson: https://twitter.com/OpheliaBenson/statu ... 3390399488

I have never, ever created a video where I called Ophelia Benson a cunt. Never.
What a cunt she is to tell such a lie about you!!!

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Outwest wrote:Maybe Ophelia will delete hers and all the other nasty comments about you off her post. :lol:
LOL Yeah, I doubt that will happen. It seems I'm "not as bad as Wooly Bumblebee" and that's about it.

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn »

John Greg wrote:Rystefn, I'm curious. Why are you pissed off at that word that is made up of a combination of, I think you said, Greek and Latin roots? The entire English language is a combination of several root languages, so why would particular words bother you. Just curious; not critical.
Same reason saying "Hercules, son of Zeus" annoys the shit out of me. No idea why, but there's something about the mixing of Greek things with Roman things that gets under my skin.

papillon

Post by papillon »

JackRayner wrote: I think he was being serious. He reasserts it in his blog. You can find a video refuting it here.
http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu11 ... ec94fd.jpg

Oh nice! a self-fulfilling hypothesis!
Tell a man he's a damaged female, and when he reacts negatively; Booom! - confirmed.

Outwest

Post by Outwest »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
Outwest wrote:Maybe Ophelia will delete hers and all the other nasty comments about you off her post. :lol:
LOL Yeah, I doubt that will happen. It seems I'm "not as bad as Wooly Bumblebee" and that's about it.

Look at it this way, you're now FAMOUS (infamous) over at FfTB! You know they will be lurking here all the time looking to quote mine something you have posted.

papillon

Post by papillon »

Rystefn wrote:
John Greg wrote:Rystefn, I'm curious. Why are you pissed off at that word that is made up of a combination of, I think you said, Greek and Latin roots? The entire English language is a combination of several root languages, so why would particular words bother you. Just curious; not critical.
Same reason saying "Hercules, son of Zeus" annoys the shit out of me. No idea why, but there's something about the mixing of Greek things with Roman things that gets under my skin.
Rystefn - Y U NO LIKE GRECO-ROMAN WRESTLING?

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Tigzy wrote:
Steersman wrote: Links for those who haven’t run across them yet:
And not forgetting Zvan's ill-conceived attempt to cover loverboy's arse on the matter by attempting to desperately tell us that 'damage' is synonymous with 'change', and that Greg was really trying to challenge assumptions. Or something. It's really quite amazingly pitiful:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... ed-brains/
Thanks for that link – hadn’t read that post of hers before: a case of trying to pull Laden’s chestnuts out of the fire and not really succeeding all that well:
Stephanie Zvan wrote:Now, all this doesn’t mean that there is no tiny grain of truth to the words of those who insist there are some innate differences between the genders. There may, in fact, be some skills that men are better at than women by virtue of masculinization of a female brain due to the presence of higher levels of testosterone in males.

However–and this is a very important however–Greg’s statement about testosterone damaging female brains [my emphasis] to make them male is true to exactly that same degree.
Curious though that Zvan in a later post of hers could no more admit that gender is not entirely a social construct than a Christian fundamentalist could admit that Jesus was only mortal – at best. But I see you made a valiant attempt to get them off the dime that a male brain is a damaged female one.
dam•age (dmj)
n.
1. Harm or injury to property or a person, resulting in loss of value or the impairment of usefulness
The hypocrisy is strong in that bunch, but somewhat amusing to watch them tie themselves in knots over their dogma and an allegiance to group-think (two legs good; three legs bad – so to speak) ….

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Gosh darn ERV makes good points. :/

Also lulz via John B
http://isthisfeminist.tumblr.com/

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Munkhaus wrote:
Rystefn wrote: ...
Hey, if it works for you, have at it. My current girlfriend walked into this relationship knowing that I could up and leave at any moment with or without notice, and she still knows that nothing has changed about that, but she likes to be called that, so I go along with it. ...
Just a minor detail about protocol – not that there’s much of that here in the “Wild West”: generally considered good form to not quote extraneous details – edit/delete those portions not relevant to whatever you’re about to say … just sayin’ … :-)

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

rayshul wrote:Gosh darn ERV makes good points. :/ ...
I'll certainly agree with that in general. But what specifically were you referring to? [helps to quote the post you're referring to ... ;-) ]

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Steersman wrote: Curious though that Zvan in a later post of hers could no more admit that gender is not entirely a social construct than a Christian fundamentalist could admit that Jesus was only mortal – at best. But I see you made a valiant attempt to get them off the dime that a male brain is a damaged female one.
Valiant?? LOL - you're far too charitable. I was simply pointing out the bloody bleedin obvious! Not that Steffy was having any of it, of course. Them blimmin dictionaries and their precise definitions of what words mean, eh?

I tell you, it was this post that led me suspect that that Steffy & Greg relationship goes a little deeper than simple friendship. I mean, look at that post, and how she ties herself in knots trying to get Greg's ass out of the fire. Not the first time she's done it, either - there's a poster here (I forget his name, sorry) who has Laden's 'get off the rag' comment in his sig, along with Steffy's follow-up where she again tries to make excuses or Greg. Then, more recently, there was her saying that Laden's threat to Justin Griffith was merely an 'ambiguous colloquialism' (http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... etitioned/). All very iffy, IMO.

Bella Fortuna

Post by Bella Fortuna »

I didn't see that anyone's posted this yet, but I guess you can all stop bombarding PayPal now that Greta's mortgage "and other expenses" are covered for a few carefree months:
The fundraiser has been a thumping success. It has exceeded all my expectations. I will be able to comfortably cover my mortgage and other expenses for a few months, while I recover my health and get my writing and speaking career revved up again afterwards. No further donations or spreading of the word are necessary: I’ve actually gotten somewhat more than I really need, and I’m seriously contemplating donating the overflow — probably to the Light the Night Walk or to Camp Quest. (I feel okay about asking my readers for financial help, but I feel weird taking more than I really need.)
http://freethoughtblogs.com/greta/2012/ ... nd-thanks/

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Hey, Parsehole - I think you've left Steffy's bit-on-the-side Ben a little flummoxed: https://twitter.com/BenZvan/status/259274478104743937 :lol:

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Bella Fortuna wrote:I didn't see that anyone's posted this yet, but I guess you can all stop bombarding PayPal now that Greta's mortgage "and other expenses" are covered for a few carefree months:
The fundraiser has been a thumping success. It has exceeded all my expectations. I will be able to comfortably cover my mortgage and other expenses for a few months, while I recover my health and get my writing and speaking career revved up again afterwards. No further donations or spreading of the word are necessary: I’ve actually gotten somewhat more than I really need, and I’m seriously contemplating donating the overflow — probably to the Light the Night Walk or to Camp Quest. (I feel okay about asking my readers for financial help, but I feel weird taking more than I really need.)
Ah, that's a relief. That's good to know. For a while there, I thought I might cave into the emotional pressure and donate.

It's not easy being a miser.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

two legs good; three legs bad
Steers, I think that's good; a keeper.
... there's a poster here (I forget his name, sorry) who has Laden's 'get off the rag' comment in his sig....
That's me! That's me! Look ma, Im famouses now.

:clap:

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Tigzy wrote:Hey, Parsehole - I think you've left Steffy's bit-on-the-side Ben a little flummoxed: https://twitter.com/BenZvan/status/259274478104743937 :lol:
It doesn't take much to flummox Ben Svan but that made me lol. :lol:

Git

Post by Git »

Another vote for closing ze thread and creating a new one as soon as Abbie tells Lsuoma* what it would have been called.

* Is this a LSU reference, Lsuoma?

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Git wrote:Another vote for closing ze thread and creating a new one as soon as Abbie tells Lsuoma* what it would have been called.

I think it was just an attempt to “yank everyone’s chain” – “how dare he close the thread when the finish line [20,000] is in sight?” ….

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Bella Fortuna wrote:I didn't see that anyone's posted this yet, but I guess you can all stop bombarding PayPal now that Greta's mortgage "and other expenses" are covered for a few carefree months:
Interesting that she know how long it will take her to recover her health from a cancer diagnosis.

Munkhaus

Post by Munkhaus »

Steersman wrote: Just a minor detail about protocol – not that there’s much of that here in the “Wild West”: generally considered good form to not quote extraneous details – edit/delete those portions not relevant to whatever you’re about to say … just sayin’ … :-)
Admonished by Steersman! I gratefully accept the rebuke.
Rystefn wrote: What are you talking about?
Well:
Rystefn wrote: So yes, that does mean that I do not care how close we are, it will not stop me from sleeping with your girlfriend.
I'm talking about that. It's my opinion that someone who loves to "big up" their weird sociopathic sexual credentials on forums is similar to those that promote their strange victim-statuses on A+.
"Yeah man, she knows that I'm a ramblin' man. If she ain't cool wid that, she knows which way the door swings"

So, that's what prompted my earlier question. Was there an event in your childhood perhaps, that might have led to this inability to gain real intimacy? [I don't really care. It's just an observation]

*sorry for the "de-rail* ... I'm always a few pages behind. And I haven't even mentioned what I did in the army!*

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Git wrote:Another vote for closing ze thread and creating a new one as soon as Abbie tells Lsuoma* what it would have been called.

College men from LSU,
Went in dumb, come out dumb too,
Hustlin' round Atlanta in their alligator shoes
And keepin' the niggers down.

[youtube]2nGw_vAnqPI[/youtube]

papillon

Post by papillon »

Disables ratings on Youtube videos on Monday

http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu11 ... 44237e.jpg

...calls for poll-crashing on Friday

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Lsuoma wrote:

College men from LSU,
Went in dumb, come out dumb too,
Hustlin' round Atlanta in their alligator shoes,
Gettin' drunk every weekend at the barbecue
And keepin' the niggers down.
D'Oh! Fixed the lyrics

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

cheers Tigzy for the heads up. I checked Ben Zvans twitter and found this, head-scratchingly odd gem:
"Ben Zvan ‏@BenZvan

Stand against bullying! Wear purple and make your profile pic purple "

Errr...Am I missing something here? Are bullies naturally afraid of purple or does purple cure bullying behaviour or,or, or, or....I dunno. What will wearing purple achieve?
I ca'tn imagine a ten year old kid with broken glasses and a bleeding nose thanking Ben Zvan for all his help by wearing a purple T-shirt.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Outwest wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:

Look at it this way, you're now FAMOUS (infamous) over at FfTB! You know they will be lurking here all the time looking to quote mine something you have posted.
LOL As if I had something prolific to say or put out there :D

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

papillon wrote:Disables ratings on Youtube videos on Monday

http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu11 ... 44237e.jpg

...calls for poll-crashing on Friday
There are no distances to which PZ's cognitive dissonance cannot stretch.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Tigzy wrote:
Steersman wrote: Curious though that Zvan in a later post of hers could no more admit that gender is not entirely a social construct than a Christian fundamentalist could admit that Jesus was only mortal – at best. But I see you made a valiant attempt to get them off the dime that a male brain is a damaged female one.
Valiant?? LOL - you're far too charitable. I was simply pointing out the bloody bleedin obvious! Not that Steffy was having any of it, of course.

Showing the flag, then. Firing a shot across their bows. In any case, helping to discredit their “Big Lie”. :-)
Them blimmin dictionaries and their precise definitions of what words mean, eh? …. Then, more recently, there was her saying that Laden's threat to Justin Griffith was merely an 'ambiguous colloquialism'. All very iffy, IMO.
To say the least. I would be prepared to accept “ambiguous colloquialism” since, IIRC, that “death threat” was more in the “blowing smoke” category and probably not legally actionable. But I would expect, although I doubt I’ll receive, a quid pro quo that “cunt” – and prick and the like – are not necessarily misognyistic or misandric. And from Benson also considering her quoted use of “prick” as in Badger3k’s signature (although the link still needs updating) ….

soldierwhy

Post by soldierwhy »

Tony Parsehole wrote:There are no distances to which PZ's cognitive dissonance cannot stretch.
He's the gift that keeps on giving.

You know the saying ' when you're in a hole, stop digging'? PZed's got a JCB and a whole plant crew working shifts.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Steersman wrote:
cunt wrote:By the way steersman. I read that entire takedown you did on A Voice For Men. I was thinking of writing a script that replaces their stylesheet with the Pharyngula one, reverses gendered pro-nouns...
I expect that would be quite amusing to read. I’ve periodically thought that AVfM – the “manosphere” in general, at least the more extreme aspects – is a mirror image of the more extreme aspects of the feminist movement and think that doing that reverse would likely highlight that fact.

Not to mention maybe knocking a little bit of sense into all of those extremists, shock of recognition and all that …
*shrug* Despite being an MRA and supporter of AVFM I do not think you should have been banned. FWIW I think we need voices like yours to help keep us from going down the rabbit hole. For example the jury nullification business, although I think Paul makes a good argument, in the end I can not support it as a matter of policy. We would become no better than the RadFems eventually.

In any event, there are a lot of situations that justify the rage that some men are experiencing. I am not sure which is worse for society overall, the growing number of men who are indifferent, or the increasing numbers of seriously pissed off men.

Some days I am optimistic that we will work things out, other days I am not so sure. What I am certain of is that if a significant portion of the male population falls into either category it is not going to be pretty.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

John Greg wrote:
two legs good; three legs bad
Steers, I think that's good; a keeper.
Thank you; thank you ver’ much … :-)

Maybe we can expect to see that become the motto for AtheismPlus? ….
... there's a poster here (I forget his name, sorry) who has Laden's 'get off the rag' comment in his sig....
That's me! That's me! Look ma, Im famouses now. :clap:
Saw something here recently from PZ claiming that, I think, many here are guilty of shooting themselves in the feet; I think his score keeping machine is broken as I think that comment of Laden's and Benson's "prick" and Zvan's "damaged doesn't mean damaged" puts them way out in front in that contest ...

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Tony Parsehole wrote:cheers Tigzy for the heads up. I checked Ben Zvans twitter and found this, head-scratchingly odd gem:
"Ben Zvan ‏@BenZvan

Errr...Am I missing something here? Are bullies naturally afraid of purple or does purple cure bullying behaviour or,or, or, or....I dunno. What will wearing purple achieve?
I ca'tn imagine a ten year old kid with broken glasses and a bleeding nose thanking Ben Zvan for all his help by wearing a purple T-shirt.
Hard core slacktivism, dude.

Just you wait: Hacky-sack will bring down the patriarchy.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Mykeru wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:cheers Tigzy for the heads up. I checked Ben Zvans twitter and found this, head-scratchingly odd gem:
"Ben Zvan ‏@BenZvan

Hard core slacktivism, dude.

Just you wait: Hacky-sack will bring down the patriarchy.
I bet they'd be scared of my purple-headed, single-shot, pump-action yoghurt rifle...

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

soldierwhy wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:There are no distances to which PZ's cognitive dissonance cannot stretch.
Quite like chronic diarrhea.

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn »

Munkhaus wrote:
Rystefn wrote: So yes, that does mean that I do not care how close we are, it will not stop me from sleeping with your girlfriend.
I'm talking about that. It's my opinion that someone who loves to "big up" their weird sociopathic sexual credentials on forums is similar to those that promote their strange victim-statuses on A+.
"Yeah man, she knows that I'm a ramblin' man. If she ain't cool wid that, she knows which way the door swings"

So, that's what prompted my earlier question. Was there an event in your childhood perhaps, that might have led to this inability to gain real intimacy? [I don't really care. It's just an observation]

*sorry for the "de-rail* ... I'm always a few pages behind. And I haven't even mentioned what I did in the army!*
Oh, that. You're reading much that I didn't say into that statement. It doesn't bother me that you're tossing around words you don't understand (yes, I am saying that you don't understand what a sociopath is), I'm used to that. It doesn't bother me that you're conflating my outlook on life, love, sex, and relationships with the semi-professional victimhood of a bunch of shrieking harpies, either. It doesn't even bother me that you're tossing about armchair pop-psych like "did something happen to you as a kid that fucked up your head?" (and a good thing, too, since it's more common than grass).

No. What bothers me is you telling me that my friendships, and indeed all relationships, lack intimacy because I refuse to follow rules I had no say in making and because I'm self-aware enough to know that there's a big universe of shit I haven't experienced, and much of it could draw me away in a heartbeat. Fuck you. If you tell me there's nothing that could make you walk away from everything you know and love without even stopping to tell someone what's going on first, then I'll call you either a liar or a coward.

Most of all, though, what bothers me is that you're making me reference Dr. Fucking Who. Here's an extreme example to illustrate my point: One-time offer, you have five seconds to decide: do you get in the TARDIS?

Git

Post by Git »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
soldierwhy wrote:
Quite like chronic diarrhea.
I had gastroenteritis a couple of weeks ago (not sure what caused it), and frankly, that's an insult to my squishy brown flow.

SkepticalCat

Post by SkepticalCat »

soldierwhy wrote:

You know the saying ' when you're in a hole, stop digging'? PZed's got a JCB and a whole plant crew working shifts.
I'm at least halfway tempted to crash the poll in the opposite direction from PZ's preference... :happy-partydance:

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

my worst nightmare is that the baboons all come over here and post the word "NO" all caps with the font colour set to PURPLE. Their last attempt at the "NO" strategy was devastating. Couple that with the colour purple (starring Oprah) and I don't think we could stand up to that sort of activism. It would mean the end of all life here in the Pit.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Rystefn wrote:
Munkhaus wrote:

Oh, that. You're reading much that I didn't say into that statement. It doesn't bother me that you're tossing around words you don't understand (yes, I am saying that you don't understand what a sociopath is), I'm used to that. It doesn't bother me that you're conflating my outlook on life, love, sex, and relationships with the semi-professional victimhood of a bunch of shrieking harpies, either. It doesn't even bother me that you're tossing about armchair pop-psych like "did something happen to you as a kid that fucked up your head?" (and a good thing, too, since it's more common than grass).

No. What bothers me is you telling me that my friendships, and indeed all relationships, lack intimacy because I refuse to follow rules I had no say in making and because I'm self-aware enough to know that there's a big universe of shit I haven't experienced, and much of it could draw me away in a heartbeat. Fuck you. If you tell me there's nothing that could make you walk away from everything you know and love without even stopping to tell someone what's going on first, then I'll call you either a liar or a coward.

Most of all, though, what bothers me is that you're making me reference Dr. Fucking Who. Here's an extreme example to illustrate my point: One-time offer, you have five seconds to decide: do you get in the TARDIS?
Um, why do people assume something bad happened to a person as a child to bring them to the philosophy they have now? I'm on board with polyamorous relationships simply because I have loved more than one person at one time. Pretty simple and it doesn't necessarily mean something bad happened to you as a kid. Weird, that mindset.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Steersman wrote:
cunt wrote:By the way steersman. I read that entire takedown you did on A Voice For Men. I was thinking of writing a script that replaces their stylesheet with the Pharyngula one, reverses gendered pro-nouns...
I expect that would be quite amusing to read. I’ve periodically thought that AVfM – the “manosphere” in general, at least the more extreme aspects – is a mirror image …
*shrug* Despite being an MRA and supporter of AVFM I do not think you should have been banned. FWIW I think we need voices like yours to help keep us from going down the rabbit hole.
Thanks.
For example the jury nullification business, although I think Paul makes a good argument, in the end I can not support it as a matter of policy.
Haven’t had the chance to read that debate, but have been intending to do so. Glad to see that Paul was at least prepared to debate the question, but not that he supposedly wasn’t able to change his mind – maybe painted himself into a corner?

Although interestingly I notice that Man Boobz is talking about a “manosphere civil war coming on” apparently caused by too many women – GWW, BluHarmony (I think), TyphonBlue, etc. – posting on AVfM. One would think that PZ would be overjoyed that AVfM is “listening to the women”. But maybe some indication that AVfM is attempting to distance themselves from the more extreme elements ….
In any event, there are a lot of situations that justify the rage that some men are experiencing.
Yes, quite agree. Even though many of the comments over on AVfM seem perilously close to being off the wall and over the edge many others seem to manifest some serious and justifiable exasperation if not rage over some inequities in the system, many predicated on “virulent feminism” – a term, I might add, that Ophelia considers tantamount to misogyny. Not part of the solution and all that ….

Notung

Post by Notung »

Christ, that Futrelle person has the easiest blog in the universe. All he has to do is trawl the internet for dumb things some misogynists say. I might start a blog that tells the world what's happening today at Stormfront.

WhiteTits - Racism. I Mock It.

Hits aplenty, and I don't even have to think. Bliss!

BTW after blogwhoring on the 'pit I've had more hits today than I have for a while, so thanks!

Notung

Post by Notung »

Also, to Al Stefanelli:

I really wish you didn't leave FTB before beginning to post here. An FTBer + Slymepitter is a recipe for popcorn, and would have been a really interesting experiment. Just a thought!

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Dick Strawkins wrote:So using the word "bitch" makes you a bad person?

What about this?

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2006 ... s-bitches/
Well, "bitch" is a term used on the SGU podcast, along with other bad werdz, and Rebecca never objects. In fact, she is often the one saying them! Same old, same old...one rule for them, one rule for everybody else.

JackRayner
Location: In the basement of the University of Minnesota Morris

Post by JackRayner »

Steersman wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:For example the jury nullification business, although I think Paul makes a good argument, in the end I can not support it as a matter of policy.
Haven’t had the chance to read that debate, but have been intending to do so. Glad to see that Paul was at least prepared to debate the question, but not that he supposedly wasn’t able to change his mind – maybe painted himself into a corner?
Why do you think that? :think: Does being open to debate mean you have to change your mind? That's not how debates work, last I checked...

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Meanwhile, in the A+ mental institution...
My gender identity is somewhere in the middle of being agender and female, and very slightly variable (genderfluid) on top of that, so while I’m okay with feminine pronouns, I prefer gender neutral ones and specifically the xe/xie/ze/zie ones are all pronounced with a [z] sound. However, as this thread makes obvious, there is no shortage of assholes in the world that it’s not my job to school in being polite to others by using the right pronouns, so I tend to skirt over people using ‘she’ if they can be convinced to use the singular they.
http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic ... =25#p35376

This was posted by global moderator Xantë, who apparently can be referred to as xe (or as xie or as ze or as zie) at time t1, as she at time t2, and as they at time t3. This gets so complicated that I prefer not to refer to xir/zir/her at all.

For all their obsession with rape the A+ crowd is remarkably at ease with raping the English language.