Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
DW Adams

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by DW Adams »

Jonathan wrote:The great McCreight has had an article published on Vice.com. Apparently Atheism+ doesn't try to silence people with really hateful things.

*hollow laughter*

When I posted this on the 25th, I was considerate enough to post a TRIGGER WARNING for the large McCreight face.

franc

Post by franc »

Scented Nectar wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:
Jonathan wrote:The great McCreight has had an article published on Vice.com. Apparently Atheism+ doesn't try to silence people with really hateful things.

*hollow laughter*
Good to see the comments pointing out the flaws of statements like "When I first started going to atheist conferences, I was warned to avoid certain speakers because they were known for going after younger women.".

The more people who are directed to the A+ forum the better. Nobody can believe how fucked up it is unless they see for themselves.
The comments don't seem to be there anymore. It has the word "Comments" at the end, but it's not clickable, nor are there any comments below it.
Comments are on a 'tardbook page. You probably won't see them if you aren't logged into it.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

I don't have a tardbook account and am still seeing them. My computer is a steam powered shitpile too so go figure.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

franc wrote:
Comments are on a 'tardbook page. You probably won't see them if you aren't logged into it.
Maybe someone should screencap them for the non-FB users?

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Tony Parsehole wrote:From the A+ Forum. http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2115
Re: Racist pranks and affirmative action

Postby ArgyleRoad » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:16 pm
How do people not understand this?
1 - There are a finite number of slots at universities, if we do not have minority representation correction systems you will have what we used to have which is higher education dominated by privilege completely, with minor exceptions.
2 - If you do not get in and a minority does, that does not mean you did not get in because you were not a minority, that means that you did not get in because you were not better than all the other non minority students applying.
3 - Arguing that you did not get in because you were not a minority, when the level of minority representation has to be enforced or privilege will dominate, means that you feel that privilege should dominate, and that minorities should gtfo of school.
4 - Schools enforce diversity, not only because minorities will be under-served otherwise, but also because students and parents want to go to schools with high diversity.

Entitlement objections like this are the death rattle of a (hopefully) dying area of privilege.

What? That comment made my brain split in twain. Not only is it utterly patronising to any "minorities" that the only way they can ever hope to be allowed into a university is not on their level of academic potential but in a pity-slot specially designated for those individuals who are suitably "diverse" but s/h/it is essentially saying discrimination is not only fine but THE RIGHT THING TO DO as long as it's directed at an arbitrarily decided majority of people with a certain skin colour or background. Are these people for fucking real?
That chain of (il)logic was apparently spewed forth by someone unfamiliar with current admissions processes at many US universities. Classic egocentric thinking. I haven't seen quotas or "enforcement" of diversity at all - we don't consider race/ethnic background or LGBT categories at all in our admissions decisions. We do have socioeconomic status categories, but there aren't particular numbers of slots set aside for each category. The socioeconomic status is based on a number of criteria: highest level of education achieved by the parents, household income, suburban/urban/inner city/rural residence, contributing to family income or caring for younger siblings in high school, number of siblings, etc. A German-American male who grows up on an isolated, hardscrabble ranch in rural West Texas can end up in the same socioeconomic status category as a Vietnamese-American female who grows up in inner city Houston, with immigrant parents who scrape by on low-paying jobs.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Tony Parsehole wrote:Good to see the comments pointing out the flaws of statements like "When I first started going to atheist conferences, I was warned to avoid certain speakers because they were known for going after younger women.".
Shee-it. McCreight ebegged $1500 to attend TAM in 2010, her first. It was the last one before the Not Safe for Women revisionism started and if you read her accounts, she couldn't stop gushing about how awesome, spectacular, wonderful it was. She even got a surprise hug from Phil Plait and melted, which couldn't happen under the new rules the gender warriors want imposed. Watson's recaps read the same way, TAM was faaaantastic.

Speaking of Watson, even McCreight has noticed the disconnect between her words and demeanor:
Jen McCreight wrote:I think, though, it may have been a little too silly at times. For example, after each major serious topic, Rebecca inserted silly cat photos to lighten the mood. I'm all for silliness, but random lolcats after seriously discussing rape just didn't sit well with me. Make your serious point without undermining it, and then inject humor later. From the awkward half-laughter in the audience, I think others agreed with me. The lady sitting next to me even commented, "Great, who's going to take feminists seriously now?" after the first lolcat. I wouldn't go quite that far, but I agree that it was a bit in bad taste.

http://www.blaghag.com/2010/07/women-an ... -tam8.html

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
franc wrote: Comments are on a 'tardbook page. You probably won't see them if you aren't logged into it.
Maybe someone should screencap them for the non-FB users?
I am a Facilebookophobic¹, yet I can see the comments on my puny netbook.

temp

Post by temp »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Maybe someone should screencap them for the non-FB users?
Done.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Good link Ape-Lust. I see Mcreight admits to falling in love with Harriet Hall at TAM8.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Ape+lust wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:Good to see the comments pointing out the flaws of statements like "When I first started going to atheist conferences, I was warned to avoid certain speakers because they were known for going after younger women.".
Shee-it. McCreight ebegged $1500 to attend TAM in 2010, her first. It was the last one before the Not Safe for Women revisionism started and if you read her accounts, she couldn't stop gushing about how awesome, spectacular, wonderful it was. She even got a surprise hug from Phil Plait and melted, which couldn't happen under the new rules the gender warriors want imposed. Watson's recaps read the same way, TAM was faaaantastic.

Speaking of Watson, even McCreight has noticed the disconnect between her words and demeanor:
Jen McCreight wrote:I think, though, it may have been a little too silly at times. For example, after each major serious topic, Rebecca inserted silly cat photos to lighten the mood. I'm all for silliness, but random lolcats after seriously discussing rape just didn't sit well with me. Make your serious point without undermining it, and then inject humor later. From the awkward half-laughter in the audience, I think others agreed with me. The lady sitting next to me even commented, "Great, who's going to take feminists seriously now?" after the first lolcat. I wouldn't go quite that far, but I agree that it was a bit in bad taste.

http://www.blaghag.com/2010/07/women-an ... -tam8.html
Its all about them carving out the most plausible (to them) career-path, given their limited skill-set, abilities and woeful grasp on adult concepts.
They have struck a gusher with this fake fabricated concocted invented imagined crafted "universal" victim icon schtick. Mental infants and social retards and losers will pay them a fortune to commiserate with their pity party plight.
(Until someone even more pitiable and put-upon comes along.)

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

I bet that if anybody else (who is not on board with the baboons) mentioned the conflict between Watson's "rape thretz evry day ermahgerd" and her apparent lack of serious demeanor they would be labelled either Mysoginist, rape enabler, MRA, etc. etc.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Gumby wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:The same old shit over and over and over and over......Their speeches at conferences must be soul destroying.
It's amazing these idiots still get invited to speak anywhere. No wonder they need to sell SurlyRamics to pay for women to go to conferences - they need to bring their own audiences. Somehow, I don't think this boring repetitive drama tripe will fly at major cons like TAM anymore. They can create their own little circuit and drone the same old butthurt speeches to the same slack-jawed, stunted FTB/A+ morons, and the atheist and skeptic communities will be purged of this malignant stupidity. One can dream, anyway.
They'll still dominate many of the conferences in the US and Canada, though - look at those organized by the CFI or the Atheist Alliance of America, for example. Same FTB-approved speakers turn up again and again. One minute they're claiming to be oppressed and marginalized, and the next minute they're talking about dominating conferences with speaking engagements and attendees.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Tony Parsehole wrote:Good link Ape-Lust. I see Mcreight admits to falling in love with Harriet Hall at TAM8.
And getting weak-kneed over Dawkins. She had such a good time (hottubbing with the boys, yow!), it took 3 other separate posts to hold it all:

http://www.blaghag.com/2010/07/tam8-par ... rling.html

Not a word about Becky's grope gauntlets or letches run off the leash.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Tony Parsehole wrote:I bet that if anybody else (who is not on board with the baboons) mentioned the conflict between Watson's "rape thretz evry day ermahgerd" and her apparent lack of serious demeanor they would be labelled either Mysoginist, rape enabler, MRA, etc. etc.
That was Jen in 2010.
She has been through an FfTB/Skepchunk re-education Gulag since then, and has emerged from room 101 as a valuable prole & obedient citizen.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Michael K Gray wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:I bet that if anybody else (who is not on board with the baboons) mentioned the conflict between Watson's "rape thretz evry day ermahgerd" and her apparent lack of serious demeanor they would be labelled either Mysoginist, rape enabler, MRA, etc. etc.
That was Jen in 2010.
She has been through an FfTB/Skepchunk re-education Gulag since then, and has emerged from room 101 as a valuable prole & obedient citizen.
Room 12B, more likely...

[youtube]kQFKtI6gn9Y[/youtube]

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

My bad, room 12A.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Ape+lust wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:Good link Ape-Lust. I see Mcreight admits to falling in love with Harriet Hall at TAM8.
And getting weak-kneed over Dawkins. She had such a good time (hottubbing with the boys, yow!), it took 3 other separate posts to hold it all:

Not a word about Becky's grope gauntlets or letches run off the leash.
Jen is so poor that her camera is held together by duct tape.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Michael K Gray wrote:Its all about them carving out the most plausible (to them) career-path, given their limited skill-set, abilities and woeful grasp on adult concepts.
They have struck a gusher with this fake fabricated concocted invented imagined crafted "universal" victim icon schtick. Mental infants and social retards and losers will pay them a fortune to commiserate with their pity party plight.
(Until someone even more pitiable and put-upon comes along.)
It'll be interesting to see how far Watson can run with this. She wants respect from the intelligentsia, but as you say, has meager abilities. Eventually they'll wonder if she can do anything more than just bang endlessly on one note. Unless she comes up with a clever dodge, like learning to spew po-mo bafflegab like Siviku Hutchinson, she'll sink back to being a minor attraction on the minor conference circuit.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Room 12B, more likely...

“What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof.”
-The Hitch
No it can't!

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Tony Parsehole wrote:Does it take a while for the comments to load? They are invisible at first and then all pop on at once.
Maybe it's something to do with the ad/popups/tracking blocking I'm doing.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

BarnOwl wrote:Jen is so poor that her camera is held together by duct tape.
As is her ego. She's still anywhere but attending to her APlus invention.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Scented Nectar wrote:Maybe it's something to do with the ad/popups/tracking blocking I'm doing.
If it blocks linked scripts from Facebook, you won't see the comments.

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

Look at this. Good grief.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Jonathan wrote:Look at this. Good grief.
A+theism: taking personal responsibility to new lows.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Ape+lust wrote:Eventually they'll wonder if she can do anything more than just bang endlessly on one note.
Here is another unknown bod someone banging on the 'one nate samba', to whom I'd much rather listen on an endless loop than endure another single repetition of Beccy's tedious mono-tonous giggling rape-squawks.
[youtube]ytwSy9qM9Rg[/youtube]

mikelf

Post by mikelf »

BarnOwl wrote:
A+theism: taking personal responsibility to new lows.
You want me to take personal responsibility? Check your privilege!

welch

Post by welch »

Mykeru wrote:
welch wrote:Finally was able to listen to Reap's podcast with mykeru. Good job, had no desire to skip ahead at all, (i'm not a big podcast fan as a listener. I read fast, so waiting for people to talk is not a favorite thing of mind.)

One point that kind of jumped out at me from the podcast: one of the "reasons" of Watson et al hammering on the OMG MISOGYNY DANGER TO WOMEN is that they're slowly creating a problem that must then be solved.

The analogy is a somewhat paranoid look at the sudden spate of GOP - triggered voting fraud problems. One of the arguments against the whole OMG, WE MUST TRIPLE VERIFY IDENTITY FOR VOTING idiocy is that voter fraud is actually quite rare, if you look at the actual numbers.

But now, in 4 years, or two years, you can say "But look at 2012! There was a MASSIVE increase in voter fraud problems" and not be even slightly lying. There was. It's still not a lot, but it is, comparatively, a "massive" increase in incidents. So now you have supporting data of a sort for draconian voting requirements, so that you don't get "another" 2012.

Same thing with Watson et al. If they keep hammering and harping on their "problem", eventually, they can pull enough "real" incidents to create a similarly real problem, that MUST be solved. Of course, who's the lead on solving it? Why the person who's been at the center of so many attacks herself.

That's why Watson creeps me out, because if you view her current agenda over a longer period of time, it has a real danger of becoming, well, a real danger. When Mykeru started talking about ElevatorGate being their Reichstag fire, that just jumped out at me.

I may be a bit paranoid here, but in this case, I think assuming maliciousness over stupidity is the only sane way to take her actions.
What you described, in flaunting an imaginary problem for gain, like the "liberal media" or voter fruad used as an excuse for widespread voter purging, is the very definition of the "gaming the ref" tactic. It's so fucking obvious that I go back to one of my original points: Why can't people who are supposedly skeptics spot this?
Because they don't want to. At this point, for all the people bobble heading along to Watson to stop, they have to admit, and publicly for quite a few, that they got suckered. No one likes that. But they also have to admit they got suckered for yearS. I have seen people put up with amazing shit to avoid admitting such things. So instead of spine-ing up and admitting they got suckered and changing their behavior, they let their egos talk for them. It's why they double- and triple-down on everything.

In a rational mindset, it's quoted possible to say, disagree with the original threads on ERV, but say laden was inexcusably wrong for his actions. You could disagree with Justin Griffith's support of Abbie, without bullying him (and that is why the FTB shitheads have no moral ground about bullying. What they did to Justin Griffith was even more vicious than what they did to vacula) into the simpering, toadying retraction/apology they forced him to make, because for now, he needs their good will for his work. Also, note that *everyone* on FTB, via silence or obvious approval agreed with what they did to Justin, so fuck ALL of them, including the fucking crommunist. Even Halq could only be bothered to disagree on a Facebook post the rest would never see.

But these fuckers are neither mentally nor emotionally strong enough to say "fuck man, I got suckered. I wanted to believe her so bad, but she's just a fucking con artist, and she got me good. Sorry about that." So now, they HAVE to blindly support every fucking thing she says and does, along with the rest of her toadies.

It's shame driving it at this point.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Ape+lust wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:Jen is so poor that her camera is held together by duct tape.
As is her ego. She's still anywhere but attending to her APlus invention.
Are you mocking post-partum depression?
Schröedinger's Gapist.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

WHAT THE FUCK!!??

You think you have seen it all. You think the parody-o-meter has been broken due to overuse. You think they cannot fail any harder and then they scrape the barrell and do something else that beggars belief.

Please people, if you haven't already, click that link Jonathan posted.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Michael K Gray wrote:

-The Hitch
No it can't!
Yes it can!

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:

*hollow laughter*
Well, another one for UScentrism:

Jen sayz
I think, for some people, atheism is the one minority identity they have. They’re not gay, they’re not black, they live in the United States, and a lot of them are middle-class or higher.
Underline mine.
Having lived a bit in mainland China (Qifu present!), I can tell you the Chinese are handling their minority status quite well.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Michael K Gray wrote:Here is another unknown bod someone banging on the 'one nate samba', to whom I'd much rather listen on an endless loop than endure another single repetition of Beccy's tedious mono-tonous giggling rape-squawks.
That's quite nice. Like Sonny Rollins, who (in)famously recorded an extended one-note solo and made it work, they're holding chops in reserve, not decanting thimblefuls from the bottom of a dry well.

SenorBeagle

Post by SenorBeagle »

Given all the talk of the C64 and Amiga, here, I'm just gonna leave this here...

http://seuck.glbasic.com/

Also, to Renee... I have my A1200 sitting on the old computer desk, not three feet away from me. :D

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Michael K Gray wrote:Are you mocking post-partum depression?
Schröedinger's Gapist.
*snort*

Okay, that's fucking funny. Cheers!

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

mikelf wrote:[Check your privilege!
I check it at the same time that I check my oil & tyres.
Whilst my privilege has done 55 yearz, it is still in reasonable shape, although since I retired, it only measures 2.5kVictims, whereas when I ran "my"¹ Womens' Collective, cross-dressed as a disabled black lesbian pseudo-dwarf nazi vegan obese cis-anarchist Skepchunk blogger, my priv-o-meter read over 42.1 PetaVictims.

How does your privilege check out on YOUR dipstick, eh?

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

SenorBeagle wrote:Also, to Renee... I have my A1200 sitting on the old computer desk, not three feet away from me. :D
I have one somewhere in the garage. I was strictly Amiga from 1987 until my first Wintel box in 1997. In a way, it was a relief after years of getting my hopes dashed by horribly inept Commodore. I use Linux now, so I'm back to the margins, but my fortunes aren't tied to clowns who can't manage their own properties.

decius

Post by decius »

Darth Cynic, if you care to PM me your email address I'll send you an e-copy of the bible of the trade - 13 Steps to Mentalism.
Should you then feel that further clarifications are in order, or should you spot any remarkable difference between mentalism and other conjuring tricks like the Russian roulette routine, or that stooges (aware or unaware ones) are out of the paradigm, I shall be glad to oblige.

In the meantime, the Daily Mash goes all mental-ist over this.
Brown’s Apocalypse TV show involves hoaxing a moron into believing in zombies as part of an experiment to find out how many cretins Britain currently has.

But reactions to the show have been so surprisingly idiotic that critics claim the audience must be actors.

Julian Cook, the Beadle Professor of TV Hoaxes at Roehampton University, said: “Viewers were either amazed, looking for ways to prove it was a fake, or cleverly pointing out that Brown is wearing a fancy little hat just like the man in The Truman Show.

“Meanwhile only two people pointed out that the programme was not about the victim, it was about the audience.”

He added: “If Britain really is this stupid then why isn’t every square inch of it on fire?”

Cook also believes the ‘two people’ who said it was ‘about the audience’ was probably just Derren Brown using fake names in order to confuse everyone.

But professional blogger Martin Bishop insisted the audience is genuinely dense but has been hand-picked by Brown, adding: “A quick Google search reveals most of them are trained fucknuts who are available to be stupid in a range of regional accents.”

Brown has an impressive track record for uncovering mass stupidity but has aways been able to prove that his idiots were real. In a Twitter statement he said: “I NEVER EVER use a fake audience. That’s why my houses are so enormous.”

Professor Cook said: “There is the possibility that it’s an experiment to see if Britain really believes that it’s that stupid. Or that it really believes that it believes that it’s that stupid.

“Why don’t we have anything better to do?”

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:

-The Hitch
No it can't!
Yes it can!
Did you come here for the 5 post argument, or the full Justicar?

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Is there a list anywhere on the interwebz collating the most mental shite from the A+ forums? It would be a good reference point for new folk.

I could add a few but don't have the linkys:

A bloke moaning about how his pedophilia makes him underprivileged.

Totalitarian restriction on free speech should be enforced as long as it shuts people up who disagree with them.

Talking about the economy is dehumanising.

Belief in the existence of an economy is the same as a belief in god.

Deciding which way to walk to your next lesson whilst in the company of a female classmate is stalking/harassment/creepy.

The polite inquiry by a new A+ member as to where the A+ Facebook page can be found being met with abuse and threats of banning and the subsequent realisation that the facebook page is hidden to uninvited members.

Flewellyn regaling the forum with the tale of how he and some female friends punished a sexist pig by ganging up on him in a board game of "Munchkin".

Everything Setar, Grimalkin and Cypher have ever written.

A brain dead member imploring the mods to ban them from the forum for 6 hours as they are hungry and need to go food shopping.

mikelf

Post by mikelf »

Michael K Gray wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:

-The Hitch
No it can't!
Yes it can!
Did you come here for the 5 post argument, or the full Justicar?
*checks watch*

*checks calendar*

SenorBeagle

Post by SenorBeagle »

Ape+lust wrote:
SenorBeagle wrote:Also, to Renee... I have my A1200 sitting on the old computer desk, not three feet away from me. :D
I have one somewhere in the garage. I was strictly Amiga from 1987 until my first Wintel box in 1997. In a way, it was a relief after years of getting my hopes dashed by horribly inept Commodore. I use Linux now, so I'm back to the margins, but my fortunes aren't tied to clowns who can't manage their own properties.
Aye, I'd likely still be using whatever version of the Amiga existed today, were it not for Commodore being so monumentally useless at running an actual business.

Still, I got a university dissertation out of the whole Commodore fuck-up, so I can't complain too badly...

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Ape+lust wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:Here is another unknown bod someone banging on the 'one nate samba', to whom I'd much rather listen on an endless loop than endure another single repetition of Beccy's tedious mono-tonous giggling rape-squawks.
That's quite nice. Like Sonny Rollins, who (in)famously recorded an extended one-note solo and made it work, they're holding chops in reserve, not decanting thimblefuls from the bottom of a dry well.
I like that metaphor.
Restrained talents rather than strained valiance.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

"Eowyn Entwife"? Says it all...

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Tony Parsehole wrote:Is there a list anywhere on the interwebz collating the most mental shite from the A+ forums?
Yes.
http://atheismplus.com/forums

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Tony Parsehole wrote:You think you have seen it all. You think the parody-o-meter has been broken due to overuse. You think they cannot fail any harder and then they scrape the barrell and do something else that beggars belief.
If she's not eating, you have to wonder what else she's not doing. Maybe my image of them as strung out characters, blinking tears of conviction and occasionally yelling at the screen isn't too far off. When I saw Brownian in that videocast with PZ and Co, I thought: dude, this is going worldwide, you couldn't shave or comb your hair?

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Michael K Gray wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:Is there a list anywhere on the interwebz collating the most mental shite from the A+ forums?
Yes.
Nicely done.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Michael K Gray wrote:
Yes.

Baddum, Tish!

Michael K Gray

Philosophobia 101

Post by Michael K Gray »

And now for something completely different:
A cogent rant against the assumed (but entirely unjustified) utility of philosophy by Prof Peter Atkins.
It bears repetion, especially in as much as legions of philosophiles have yet to make a dent in it:
[youtube]V5DalOx1G9U[/youtube]

Outwest

Post by Outwest »

real horrorshow wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:This is better:
Imagine what Ophelia would think of the Smith &Wesson Ladysmith. A good seller these many years.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8052/8146 ... 7292e1.jpg

I wonder what little Ophie thinks of the pink ribbons worn for breast cancer awareness/research? It must be misogynist!

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

welch wrote:But these fuckers are neither mentally nor emotionally strong enough to say "fuck man, I got suckered. I wanted to believe her so bad, but she's just a fucking con artist, and she got me good. Sorry about that." So now, they HAVE to blindly support every fucking thing she says and does, along with the rest of her toadies.
You have woefully understated the problem here, Señor Welch. She’s not a con-artist, she is a true believer, and her followers aren't suckers, they are (to borrow Dawkins’ term) faith-heads.

Con artists are a much less serious threat to any movement, because they are eventually exposed as frauds and hypocrites (by skeptics/journalists/ex-confidantes) whereas true believers can keep going as long as they stay in good health and keep the faith.

Victimism is like Communism, Calvinism, Conspiracism, and other bullshit totalising worldviews in that once you put on the goggles you can interpret all data so as to reinforce the theory and strengthen one’s commitment thereto. This is not to mention the self-reinforcing orthodoxy feedback loops of designated safe spaces, where the pass phrase is an affirmation of victim status: CHECK YOUR PRIVILEGE!

Ye gods, I really wish it was just a con job. There is light at the end of that tunnel.

decius

Post by decius »

Michael, that clip illuminates a paradox. Insofar as the argument is couched in bare assertions, it can't be properly demonstrated. Atkins would be resort to philosophical musings to prove his case.

decius

Post by decius »

Sorry, I meant "forced to resort".

Altair

Post by Altair »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote: Jen sayz
I think, for some people, atheism is the one minority identity they have. They’re not gay, they’re not black, they live in the United States, and a lot of them are middle-class or higher.
Underline mine.
Their lack of privilege brings tears to my eyes :violin:

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

d4m10n wrote:She’s not a con-artist, she is a true believer
The fallacy of the excluded middle.
I think that she is both.
Certainly a skilled pathological conniving trained con-artist (street-conjuror/juggler with a degree in how to bullshit people!!) as well as a sincere true believer (see Korsakoff's syndrome¹).
One can be both, if one trains hard enough at prestidigitation and chronic ethanol consumption.

acathode

Post by acathode »

Tony Parsehole wrote:I could add a few but don't have the linkys:
You forgot about telling a rape victim that he would've been better of if he was murdered, and demanding an apology from Dillahunty for trying, but failing miserably, to show that their A+ forum was a fair and welcoming place, and oh, one really delicate little snowflake flouncing the whole A+ forum because of Dillahunty-gate...

Almost makes you want to thank Jen for A+, honestly, the laughs and entertainment that forum has provided in just the few months it's existed... it's sure beats most sitcoms I've ever seen, and (some of) these people are real too!
It's a bit like some reality-tv show where they've gathered the most disturbed mental cases they could find from various asylums, and locked them inside the same house, and we are just laughing at the comedy that's coming out of it, while trying to figure out who's the actor who is just faking it.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

decius wrote:Atkins would be (forced to) resort to philosophical musings to prove his case.
1) How can you know this? Answer is mandatory for further consideration from me.
2) Why does he have to "prove" his case? Science does not rely on proofs, merely disproofs.
I, myself, have "disproved" the utility of philosophy by merely requesting concrete examples of utility.
So far: only one. That it gave birth to Science.
Certainly, philosophy NEVER demands proof for its assertions. NEVER EVER! Why the dichotomy in forensis?

welch

Post by welch »

Tony Parsehole wrote:Is there a list anywhere on the interwebz collating the most mental shite from the A+ forums? It would be a good reference point for new folk.

I could add a few but don't have the linkys:

A bloke moaning about how his pedophilia makes him underprivileged.

Totalitarian restriction on free speech should be enforced as long as it shuts people up who disagree with them.

Talking about the economy is dehumanising.

Belief in the existence of an economy is the same as a belief in god.

Deciding which way to walk to your next lesson whilst in the company of a female classmate is stalking/harassment/creepy.

The polite inquiry by a new A+ member as to where the A+ Facebook page can be found being met with abuse and threats of banning and the subsequent realisation that the facebook page is hidden to uninvited members.

Flewellyn regaling the forum with the tale of how he and some female friends punished a sexist pig by ganging up on him in a board game of "Munchkin".

Everything Setar, Grimalkin and Cypher have ever written.

A brain dead member imploring the mods to ban them from the forum for 6 hours as they are hungry and need to go food shopping.
Do they have to get banned to use the toilet, or do they just buy depends while they're getting food.

Fuck me, even with a freshly repaired PS3 and being reunited with Skyrim, I am able to set the controller down to get shit done.

welch

Post by welch »

Lsuoma wrote:

Clearly, she likes big, deep wood.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

welch wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:

Fuck you John! That's one more keyboard down the trash!

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

welch wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:

Pinocchiophile?