Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
Guest2

Re: Mykeru - Computer suggestions here

Post by Guest2 »

Mykeru wrote:but only because I haven't gone through the rest of your list.
Well if you are going to keep on researching, this will help you compare the processors of the different systems you are looking at.
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/cpu- ... ,3164.html

This stuff gets a bit complex, but that should help you compare their values.

And just to give you an idea of how low you can go for various parts, here are what the costs are if you were to build one from scratch by yourself.
http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af1 ... /Guide.png

If by any chance you do decide to spend a extra dough on this new system, I would personally opt for a solid state SSD drive for your C: (in addition to a 1-2 TB spinning drive for data storage since you do video editing). But for the pre-built systems, sometimes when you add on one good option, they really start hiking the prices above & beyond what the cost of that extra item is).

real horrorshow

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by real horrorshow »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
cunt wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:Sorry it's not Crommunist who wrote it. It's some utter tool losing his rag in the comments section called "HaifischGeweint"
That guy...
I was very nearly fired from one job, after a 7-page letter was read to me, outlining every complaint that was never brought to my face by the people filing it, because I talked about having a pet iguana.
Her own blog is full of WTF moments.

For the record, I wound up losing that housing (and my long-term relationship at the time when he chose her side instead of dealing with the tension between us like an adult would), being ripped off by the landlord in the process (resulting in a serious struggle just to make ends meet and still have enough left over to afford food), and subsequently had a threat of very serious violence leveled against me straight to my face (in front of a witness) a month later. This was all before my birthday that year. Three days after my birthday, my iguana died a very suspicious and clearly horrendously painful death, in my arms.
I saw the name as Halffish Gwent so I had this image of a bi-species Welsh mutant in my head. I've not reached the iguana death scene yet because I had to look up stuff about Christopher Columbus and Turtle Island.

It turns out that Turtle Island is what some native Americans call the North American continent, which threw me, because Googling gets you a place in the Gulf of Thailand (along with a lot of other places with the same name). I was pretty sure that Columbus never made it to Thailand. I was pretty sure he never made it to the North American continent either, and checking proved me right.

Anyway North America is Turtle Island because Sky Woman, Muskrat yadda yadda and it's the place where Chris and the boys wiped out a 100 million people with smallpox says Halffish. Were there a 100 million people in North America before Europeans got there? I don't know. I don't think anyone knows, not even Halffish, but it seems on the high side to me.

Anyway, if you live on Turtle Island and you aren't indigenous you are a Settler and everything's your fault you treaty violating disease-spreaders. I don't know how far back your family has to go before Halffish considers you to be indigenous (originating in and characteristic of a particular region or country), but I'm guessing, if - like him - you're white, it can't go far enough. There has to be a limit probably around the time of the last ice age because even Turtle Islanders didn't evolve there, they migrated, like all our ancestors, but anyway, still reading.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Parge wrote:
cunt wrote:Yeah, apparently. He might even have a point or two on that thread but i'm having difficulty reading it through the massive amount of butt-hurt and rage-tears.

Oh wait. I think its just another pissed off trans.
This comment triggered an epiphany about the interrelationship between the participants of this little skirmish we've been embroiled in for the last year or so.

The Victims (or should I say the owners of the Victim Mentality) believe that we hate who or what they are. And so, in their minds we become misogynists, gender traitors, and according to Oolon, racists and homophobes. They want us to stop doing those things that we know we're not actually doing, and demand that we immediately start to respect who or what they are.

The reality is that we really don't give a fuck who or what they are, a state that will not be rectified by misidentifying it or demanding unearned respect. Apathy =/= Antipathy. It's sad really, because their butt-hurt and rage-tears inhibit their ability to understand the profoundly egalitarian nature of this position. It's the realization of the MLK dream, where individuals are judged by the content of their character, and not by the... well more accurately, by anything to do with their physical, genetic configuration. We don't hate them for what they are. Rather, they annoy us for what they say and write.

I still believe this is all driven by a tendency toward authoritarian mindset: the group think, the classism, the accusations of thought crime, language correction, reeducation, the obsession with rules and policies, the "either you're with us or against us" attitude. The key element is the demand for respect. We don't respect that. We can't respect that. As atheists, skeptics and cynics, we need our minds to be untethered by ideology.

I'll stop now, because I can feel this getting a bit disjointed and turning into a political speech.
You've nailed the hammer, or something. I remember a saying that sounded close enough.

Well done, that man/woman/xuman/whatheverthefuck!

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

guest2 wrote:Also, if you don't have a backup USB3 hard drive, I strongly encourage you to get one soon. Data loss sucks ass.
I have an older Seagate 300 GB, but will upgrade to a 1TB firewire, Maxtor or otherwise.

Looking at that HP ENVY 23-1070. Very nice. In every way superior to the other off-the-shelves.

You know, the more I think about it, I wouldn't be able to get used to the Dell Touchscreen. What's the point anyway? So people can pretend they are the cheap version of Tom Cruise in Minority Report? I guess the idea isn't bad, but the screen is so damn reflective I think it would have to be used in a darkroom.

Oh, and people, for your serious USDA of schadenfreude, Karl Rove, American Crossroads Spin GOP Election Losses.

Parge

Post by Parge »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
You've nailed the hammer, or something. I remember a saying that sounded close enough.

Well done, that man/woman/xuman/whatheverthefuck!
Maybe "When all you've got is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail"? I tend to bludgeon the English language into submission. Yup. Nailed it! :dance:

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Have to say, that blog of HaifischGeweint is...interesting. For all the wrong reasons.

One mighty strange bit of protoplasm we have here. Wonder if Crommunist invited s/h/it to post on his blog for comic relief - or maybe it's some strange experiment he's conducting on his readers? Fuck knows. Put it down to the general weirdness that pervades the FTB crowd, along with all the other shit.

windy

Post by windy »

decius wrote:
Barael wrote:Crommunist jumps the shark?

http://freethoughtblogs.com/crommunist/ ... roupthink/
I genuinely didn't understand a single point he's trying to make and I struggled hard to make any sense of the events out of his foggy narration.
Well according to one of the commenters the point is:
HaifischGeweint’s complaint is that during all the sorting out of what did and didn’t happen, people were using the term of “outing someone” to apply to the straight, cis gendered officer who was accused of doing a pseudo snuff film. It’s not an appropriate term to be used when it doesn’t apply to the LGBTQI community.
But in the linked post on haifisch's blog:
As stated in update (2.0), the man in the photo, who is not Cpl. Jim Brown, phoned me and outed himself to me to demand I take this photo down.
oops!

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
cunt wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:Sorry it's not Crommunist who wrote it. It's some utter tool losing his rag in the comments section called "HaifischGeweint"
That guy...
I was very nearly fired from one job, after a 7-page letter was read to me, outlining every complaint that was never brought to my face by the people filing it, because I talked about having a pet iguana.
Just a bit! Bloody Hell:
I had just been in tears, telling my friend that I knew that’s exactly what he was going to go and do, because he didn’t get that there’s nothing there for me but a lot of distraction from the fact that the only thing waiting for me was my cold, lonely bed at the end of the night. That I didn’t have an outlet and already felt profoundly used was only amplified in my private thoughts when I shaved my head and suddenly, I wasn’t needed around for everything because no one was responding to me sexually any more.
WTF?? Back up a bit here - shaved your head? Why? It's one of those moments when someone drops in something so outlandish and weirdly irrelevant that you have to wonder what kind of world they live in (classic example - Karl Pilkington on a Ricky Gervais podcast, casually mentioning that a childhood neighbour of his kept a horse in his living room, with all the nonchalance of someone who supposed people generally kept horses in their lounges)

Also, this very strange, very troubled person has probably made the most inadvertantly hilarious, disturbing and revolting (all at the same time) blog post title of all time:
Proprietor Of Libido Events Using Twitter & FetLife To Smear Me
I'm kind of at a loss, here. One thing, though - yeah, I think this person is very troubled. I wonder if Crommunist was being a bit irresponsible in letting s/h/it face the rage and lunacy of the FTB baboons.

real horrorshow

LGBTQI
Whoah whoah, there's an 'I' now? We're up to six letters? This is looking less like an abbreviation than the world's worst Scrabble hand. It's not even an acronym. Can't we 're-claim' something easier to say? How about 'pervert'? Only two syllables, who's with me?... [crickets]

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Speaking of which - looks like Crommunist has made an update:
Why bother, when we have the services of such insightful and helpful commenters like yourself? Why, with your constructive and specific criticisms (and obvious English expertise), I’ll save bundles!

(Note to everyone else: people are leaking in from the Slymepit, so take that for what it’s worth. They also apparently think it’s just HILARIOUS that I’ve pointed this out. I’ll make explicit my policy here: guest bloggers are kings of their own castle, and short of abusive hate speech I’m not inclined to tell them what or how to write. I will, however, take great delight in shitting all over people whose ‘criticism’ amounts to “you suck, hurr hurr hurr”.)
http://freethoughtblogs.com/crommunist/ ... ment-93343

Looks like we've got another FTB hoggler! (Hi Crom!) :lol:

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Tigzy wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:
cunt wrote:
That guy...
Just a bit! Bloody Hell:
I had just been in tears, telling my friend that I knew that’s exactly what he was going to go and do, because he didn’t get that there’s nothing there for me but a lot of distraction from the fact that the only thing waiting for me was my cold, lonely bed at the end of the night. That I didn’t have an outlet and already felt profoundly used was only amplified in my private thoughts when I shaved my head and suddenly, I wasn’t needed around for everything because no one was responding to me sexually any more.
WTF?? Back up a bit here - shaved your head? Why? It's one of those moments when someone drops in something so outlandish and weirdly irrelevant that you have to wonder what kind of world they live in (classic example - Karl Pilkington on a Ricky Gervais podcast, casually mentioning that a childhood neighbour of his kept a horse in his living room, with all the nonchalance of someone who supposed people generally kept horses in their lounges)

Also, this very strange, very troubled person has probably made the most inadvertantly hilarious, disturbing and revolting (all at the same time) blog post title of all time:
Proprietor Of Libido Events Using Twitter & FetLife To Smear Me
I'm kind of at a loss, here. One thing, though - yeah, I think this person is very troubled. I wonder if Crommunist was being a bit irresponsible in letting s/h/it face the rage and lunacy of the FTB baboons.
I know what you mean.
I can't get through a paragraph of her blog writings without going, alternatively, "that's sad, that's unfair and that's... WTF?"

The person who she is writing about - the Mountie guy who was into BDSM - gets accused of uninvitedly groping her (half-fish's) arse at a party a few blog posts back so I wonder if the current post is just her way of getting revenge by publicising a disturbing accusation about the guy.
And I wonder why Crommunist allowed her to use his blog to do it.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

I started reading the post on Crommunist's site and abruptly stopped earlier. The style of writing or something is just throwing me. I just made a second attempt and am glad other people gave the gist of it as I found it really confusing. One comment I found funny, however:
atheism is a lot more like veganism
What? Um, I thought one sticky point with "HaifischGeweint" is analogies. And beyond that, "God" is like animals and animal byproducts?
Maybe this has something to do with the shark crying?

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Ah, I thought, the HP Envy is available at Amazon....

And there's this very convenient link at the bottom of the Pit.

Unfortunately to get the 2500 graphics card, it would be this one and not only does the price go up, but 2 GB of memory go missing.

Ah, son-of-a-bitch. And some people actually LIKE shopping?

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Jesus - this Haifischgeweint character is beyond parody. Except in most cases like this, there's usually a lot of funny involved. But here - it's just sad.

I mean, look at this:
I’ve gotten the “pet cause” remark from a female atheist/skeptic when I expressed that I’d like to get involved in community action against the latest threat from pseudoscience, but I’m really zapped for energy because I’ve been putting it all into taking a stand against sexual harassment and slut-shaming in our streets. A man had just finished saying the exact same thing, except he was really zapped for energy because he’d been putting it all into studying for an exam that would give him a new credential. But she didn’t slam him. Just me.

I realize that there is no equivalence between a physician and some random feminist who didn’t quite finish pre-med before having their dreams systematically trampled by a combination of homophobia, transphobia, apathy on the part of anyone who could do anything meaningful to stop it, and a lifetime of prior trauma. I’m not trying to suggest we’re equals, because we’re different people. But you know something? That wasn’t just a shitty way to be treated. It’s the way I’ve been treated my entire life already, while the same people have been bending over backwards to impress him. And I’ll bet he doesn’t have a fucking clue what the difference is.
So this person is peeved because someone didn't give him/her due respect for being tired after campaigning in the streets about sexual-harassment and slut-shaming, but gave due respect to a physician who was tired after studying for a professional exam. And then s/h/it whines about how they've been treated like that all their life, and how they just coulda really been a medical professional if only other people hadn't been so shit to him/her (sorry for the indecision as to whether this person is male or female - this is largely down to the fact that Heifsi-whatever doesn't seem entirely clear on the matter, either).

Yeah. We could have all been someone if only it wasn't for other people.

In any case, this Half-Fish character (honestly, I just can't be arsed trying to remember that stupid nym - blame it on my tiredness ( :dance: ) having been up most of the night playing Halo 4) is certainly correct about not suggesting that s/he and the physician are equals. But it's not just down to being different people. It's because physicians, by nature of the important work they do, ought to command more gravitas when they say they are tired, rather than some pontificating nerk on the high street. Tough if it makes you feel bad. You were tired because you were out spamming people, Half-Fish, and that's all there is to it.

Darren

Post by Darren »

Scented Nectar wrote:DOS was a very sexy operating system. And if the condom sprung a leak, before crashing/knocking up your computer, it would offer you the choice to abort. It was all for reproductive rights, it seems.
All this DOS talk is making me nostalgic. I remember the days where I kept all my .BAT's in C:\BELFRY. I had a 286 clone (Amstrad) with a 20mb hard drive which, miraculously, I never ran out of space on.

Programming was also much simpler back then. No instruction pipelines to trash with branch mis-predictions, no L1 cache to worry about... Apart from the brainfucked segment:offset memory addressing (and even that could be exploited for speed), things were sweet.

Programmers have so much performance to play with now, the vast majority don't realise their "efficient" programs could run orders of magnitude faster if they ditched the toy languages, like anything with .NET in it's name, and learned a little about how things like memory caching work. Spoilt brats.

Also, I lived in a hole in the ground.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

real horrorshow wrote:
LGBTQI
Whoah whoah, there's an 'I' now? We're up to six letters? This is looking less like an abbreviation than the world's worst Scrabble hand. It's not even an acronym. Can't we 're-claim' something easier to say? How about 'pervert'? Only two syllables, who's with me?... [crickets]
Shit. It took me a bit to remember LGBT. Then it took me a bit to remember to add a Q. Now it will take me a bit to remember to add an I.

At this rate, perhaps by the end of next year it'll be something like LGBTQI#0N=?Z. This is not a reflection on the group. Rather on the ridiculousness of creating an acronym that takes longer to type out than explain.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Tigzy wrote:In any case, this Half-Fish character (honestly, I just can't be arsed trying to remember that stupid nym - blame it on my tiredness
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7106/8167 ... 3e4d_o.jpg

Mr Danksworth

Post by Mr Danksworth »

LGBTQI+

Darren

Post by Darren »

real horrorshow wrote:
LGBTQI
What does the 'I' stand for? And, more importantly, why doesn't it come before the 'B'? Are they implying that I people's rights are less important than B's?

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Mr Danksworth wrote:LGBTQI+
LGBTWUT?

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

windy wrote:
decius wrote:
Barael wrote:Crommunist jumps the shark?

http://freethoughtblogs.com/crommunist/ ... roupthink/
I genuinely didn't understand a single point he's trying to make and I struggled hard to make any sense of the events out of his foggy narration.
Well according to one of the commenters the point is:
HaifischGeweint’s complaint is that during all the sorting out of what did and didn’t happen, people were using the term of “outing someone” to apply to the straight, cis gendered officer who was accused of doing a pseudo snuff film. It’s not an appropriate term to be used when it doesn’t apply to the LGBTQI community.
But in the linked post on haifisch's blog:
As stated in update (2.0), the man in the photo, who is not Cpl. Jim Brown, phoned me and outed himself to me to demand I take this photo down.
oops!
EPIC! What a fucking dick!

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Darren wrote:
real horrorshow wrote:
LGBTQI
What does the 'I' stand for? And, more importantly, why doesn't it come before the 'B'? Are they implying that I people's rights are less important than B's?
"I" stands for intersex.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

ReneeHendricks wrote: "I" stands for intersex.
Aren't most of us intersex, though? I always thought most of us were inter it in a big way, too.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Mykeru wrote:
LGBTWUT?
Fuck knows. I see stuff like that and my brain shuts down. The term just gets bigger and bigger. Why do the trans community always lump themselves together with gays, bisexuals and lesbians under the LGBTQetc. moniker anyway? I'd say it's many times removed from simply being attracted to members of the same sex.

Mr Danksworth

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Mykeru wrote:
LGBTWUT?
You can't make this shit up.

'LGBTQ is the short form of an acronym (i.e., lesbian/gay/bisexual/trans*/queer) that keeps getting longer and longer, and is sometimes playfully referred to as “alphabet soup” for this reason. More serious gestures include using the acronym “LGBTQ+” or the current full length acronym, which I’m sure will be missing at least one letter by the time I look it up for you.'

http://haifischgeweint.wordpress.com/sexuality-101/

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

Tigzy wrote:Speaking of which - looks like Crommunist has made an update:
Why bother, when we have the services of such insightful and helpful commenters like yourself? Why, with your constructive and specific criticisms (and obvious English expertise), I’ll save bundles!

(Note to everyone else: people are leaking in from the Slymepit, so take that for what it’s worth. They also apparently think it’s just HILARIOUS that I’ve pointed this out. I’ll make explicit my policy here: guest bloggers are kings of their own castle, and short of abusive hate speech I’m not inclined to tell them what or how to write. I will, however, take great delight in shitting all over people whose ‘criticism’ amounts to “you suck, hurr hurr hurr”.)
http://freethoughtblogs.com/crommunist/ ... ment-93343

Looks like we've got another FTB hoggler! (Hi Crom!) :lol:
*waves*

Keep an eye out for that misogyny that the Slyme Pit is apparently steeped in. Let us know if you find any, it'll certainly be a surprise to us!

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
Darren wrote:
real horrorshow wrote:
LGBTQI
"I" stands for intersex.
In that case, shouldn't it be in the middle: LGBITQ?

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

I get sexual pleausre from sticking a used toilet brush up my arse. I call myself a usedtoiletbrushosexual shortened to UTBS. The acronym should therefore read LGBTQIUTBS.
Feel fee to add your own.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Tigzy wrote: *snip, snippity snip snip* having been up most of the night playing Halo 4 *snippy snip*
Mate. I'm well jel. Getting it tomorrow hopefully. Any good?

Parge

Post by Parge »

LGBTQI and sometimes Y
Isn't Q the same as L plus G? Or does it mean "Questioning", which would make it LGBTIJAQ?

real horrorshow

More on the Half-fish's grasp of history. Not only did Columbus kill a 100 million people on 'Turtle Island' (a place he never went to) but:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8340/8167 ... 82354a.jpg

That's right. Europeans invented being nasty. Indigenous people never did that! Amazing that Half-fish knows what went on in N. America in period of several thousand years for which there are no written records.

Half-fish shows promise as an FTBer though. You've seen banning, you've seen deletion, you've seen editing, but now, we have retaliating to a post before it's even appeared!

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7121/8167 ... aa8151.jpg

And a post to which there's been no response:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8489/8167 ... a43479.jpg

Sing it:
I've been so lonely girl, I've been so sad and down
Couldn't understand why haters joked around
I wanted to be free with other creatures like me
And now I got my wish, cause I know that I'm a half fish (half fish)

*Chorus*
(Half fish Yo) mother fuckin' half fish
(I'm a fish yo) goin' on a half fish
(It's alright girl) makin' love to other half fish

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

I notice LGBTQI doesn't appear to include the gender-fluids in there. Or is that covered by intersex? :think:

What exactly is a 'gender-fluid' anyway? Is it someone who sometimes consider themselves to be the opposite gender, and sometimes not? A sort of part-time pre-op trans? It's a poser, that's for sure.

In any case, 'Gender-fluid' just makes me think of something yellow, sticky and smelly.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

In any case, this Half-Fish character
I'm afraid the law says that I can't allow any chance to reference Viz in this thread to be ignored. Therefore I give you Billy The Fish the half-man half-fish who along with his team mates Mick Hucknall, Shaking Stevens, Professor Wolfgang Schnell BSc. PhD. and large breasted Native American winger Red Fox was one of the stars of the famous Fulchester United team of the '80s.

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/962/ ... b193de.png

P.S. my head hurts and I feel sick.

Mr Danksworth

Post by Mr Danksworth »

I wonder if Half-fish knows Natalie Screed. They both write the same style of wall of text with no discernable point. There must be a community subsidized trans-writing workshop in Vancouver.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Mr Danksworth wrote:
Mykeru wrote:
LGBTWUT?

'LGBTQ is the short form of an acronym (i.e., lesbian/gay/bisexual/trans*/queer) that keeps getting longer and longer, and is sometimes playfully referred to as “alphabet soup” for this reason. More serious gestures include using the acronym “LGBTQ+” or the current full length acronym, which I’m sure will be missing at least one letter by the time I look it up for you.'

Well, I know what LGBT is, it's just that the I and + were confusing.

How about LGBTA to include asexuals, or LGBTE for eunuchs, or LGBTE+P for eunuchswho have only their balls cut off only and, of course, for Rick Santorum, LGBTMoDA for morons who think man on dog action is applicable.

real horrorshow

Mr Danksworth wrote: You can't make this shit up.

Since the Rev'd Grey is not about I must step in to say that it is not an acronym, which is a set of initials which make a word. 'Tis a mere initial-ism.
Parge wrote:
LGBTQI and sometimes Y
Isn't Q the same as L plus G? Or does it mean "Questioning", which would make it LGBTIJAQ?
Yes, I thought Q was pretty much covered by L&G. So what must we do Parge? Yes, we must check our privilege!

I do hope the Half-fish becomes a regular on FTB, "We've Got a Live One Here!"

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
Tigzy wrote: *snip, snippity snip snip* having been up most of the night playing Halo 4 *snippy snip*
I've never played any Halo games before, so I can't say how it compares to them. I've been enjoying immensely so far, though - even if I do keep running out of ammo at critical points (makes it more fun though, IMO - I've a suspicion that that the game was designed with this in mind). The graphics are nothing short of extraordinary - you'd think you were playing on an uber-high spec PC. I'm currently at the level where you have to ride this massive APC called the Mammoth, and it's just incredible - you can operate a rocket launcher on the thing, and then jump off, do some other shooting-up-shit on foot, and the catch up, jump back on the Mammoth and climb back up to the rocket launcher without a single loading break. It's completely seamless.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

@bhoytony.
Young HaifischGeweint was determined to be a football player, whinging, incoherent female despite being born half man/half fish......

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Meanwhile, back on Tatooine...

[youtube]bjighCDPt-k[/youtube]

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

Dick Strawkins wrote: Rebecca Watson and PZ started the "choose sides" narrative...
I wonder how far back this side-choosing narrative really goes. Seems like the polarizing self-assortment process spearheaded by certain bloggers was originally about standing against accommodationism with liberal religious people, and only later became about standing against accommodationism with illiberal irreligious people as well.

On an unrelated note, try passing music through both a high pass and low pass filter and then listen to how much it sucks.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Tigzy wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:
I've never played any Halo games before, so I can't say how it compares to them. I've been enjoying immensely so far, though - even if I do keep running out of ammo at critical points (makes it more fun though, IMO - I've a suspicion that that the game was designed with this in mind). The graphics are nothing short of extraordinary - you'd think you were playing on an uber-high spec PC. I'm currently at the level where you have to ride this massive APC called the Mammoth, and it's just incredible - you can operate a rocket launcher on the thing, and then jump off, do some other shooting-up-shit on foot, and the catch up, jump back on the Mammoth and climb back up to the rocket launcher without a single loading break. It's completely seamless.
The only crap one in the series was Halo 2 which was soul destroyingly crap. The vehicles have always been epic. Nothing as satisfying as blowing shit up in a tank!

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

There must be a community subsidized trans-writing workshop in Vancouver.
HAHAHAHAHAHA.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Yes, I thought Q was pretty much covered by L&G. So what must we do Parge? Yes, we must check our privilege!
HAHAHAHAHAHA. ROFLOL.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

d4m10n wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote: Rebecca Watson and PZ started the "choose sides" narrative...
I wonder how far back this side-choosing narrative really goes. Seems like the polarizing self-assortment process spearheaded by certain bloggers was originally about standing against accommodationism with liberal religious people, and only later became about standing against accommodationism with illiberal irreligious people as well.
I disagree.
You can be anti-accomodationist but not in the PZ camp - for example Dawkins, Russell Blackford, Jerry Coyne.

Anti-accomodationism doesne mean not working with religious people (for example Dawkins has marched with religious people against the Iraq war). In the case of the aforementioned atheists it means not claiming a benefit in belief-in-belief - faitheism, as Jerry Coyne described it.

I actually see the likes of PZ and the Skepchicks as making the same mistakes that the accomodationists do - in particular abandoning the idea of skepticism when it may cause political problems with your allies (just look at the Atheismplus board for countless examples) and for setting themselves up as the moderate, good wing of atheism, as opposed to the extremist misogynistic bad wing.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

I notice that the intellectual arsetillery of FTB, julian francesco, has turned up to completely destroy the arguments of Paul W (a very thoughtful commenter - what's he doing there! Come on over to the Slymepit Paul W, the water's fine! :D )

http://i.imgur.com/vvpGs.jpg

Lovetinkle

Post by Lovetinkle »

I've been wondering why the A-plussers irritate me so grievously. On paper I agree with almost all of their stated aims; secular humanism being, by and large, a Good Thing.

In particular why should that bloodless screed by HaifischGeweint provoke me to comment at FtB?

It wasn't until I read a piece by the irrepressible (and occasionally tiresome) Ian Murphy over on Buffalo Beast delicately titled BREAKING: Men want to fuck teenage girls that the bulb lit up. I happened upon this trenchant insight:
. . . words mean what they mean, and even the righteous need to use them properly. Otherwise, it undermines and confuses one’s argument.
To give it some context Murphy is referring to the unmasking of the RL identity of some ghastly Reddit Troll by a Gawker typist who goes by the name of Adrian Chen. It carries some uncanny parallels with all this A+ weenies versus the MRA meatheads malarkey and is worth the read. I'd link but Chromium keeps shrieking about the site being a malware operation or somesuch. In any case I've no doubt at least one of you malcontents can manage to crank up the Google machine.

But I think this is it. It's not that A-plussers are wrong in their broad thrust, it's that they're shrill and annoying in the way they go about it and this undermines their lofty goals. They come across as self entitled, professionally undergraduate and weak.

As a fag I find this quality in my own kind to be unacceptable. They need to harden up.

Incidentally the word-salad "LGBT" has been around for years. The "Q" and the "I" were added later. I'm not sure when I must have missed that meeting of the HomIntern. The "Q" I'm not so keen on but the "I" is fine. Intersex folks do have it hard and should be given the benefit of the doubt. Whilst some of the genderqueer and trans activists can be painful dolts, more than one of their critics in this place sound like candidate members of the Aryan Brotherhood. :naughty:

Other than that keep up the good work chaps! :mrgreen:

Bisous,

'tinkle

Altair

Post by Altair »

windy wrote:Well according to one of the commenters the point is:
What a funny guy, despite it being used in reference to exposing someone as a homosexual, I checked a dictionary and it can be used in a much broader sense
67.to intentionally expose (a secret homosexual, a spy, etc.).
(Yes, I know you english-privileged twits already know this, but as an underprivileged trans-languaged latino I wanted to be sure)

But then again they think that dictionaries are the tool of teh Patriarchy.
Their safe spaces are becoming so safe that soon enough they won't be able to speak or write at all, and they will have to devise a kind of written sign language. Until someone declares that language ableist, or something, and then they will fall completely silent.

Altair

Post by Altair »

Mr Danksworth wrote:
Mykeru wrote:
LGBTWUT?

It needs more vowels. We should include asexuals and other-sexuals to make a word that can be pronounced. LAGBOTI, maybe.

Katamari Damassi

Post by Katamari Damassi »

Been coming to the pit for a couple of weeks now(thanks FTB!)and am finally delurking to shed some light on the SJW's use of the alphabet soup that is LGBTQIA. Me? I'm gay, and I refer to anyone who doesn't identify as straight or bi(women anyway-every man I've ever met who identifies as "bi" has just been gay but not ready to admit it yet) as gay. The Q usually stands for "Questioning"(because some people just don't know what the hell they are but they want a label goddamn it!), but sometimes it stands for "Queer". In my experience people who identify as queer just want to bust your chops about using the wrong pronoun and being all "gender binary" and not being radical like they are. The A stands for the most oppressed group of all-the asexuals, because matters to everyone that they're not getting laid. There was some discussion(a hilarious one at that)some time ago in the A+Theism forum about how best to arrange the letters so that no one group would feel alienated. BTW years ago it was GLBT, until the lesbians got everyone to put the L first-because they did so much for our civil rights(not really). Not on the A+Theism forum(that I've seen anyway)but in other SJW forums, they're trying to push the use of QUILTBAG as an all encompassing term. I shit you not. QUILTBAG.

real horrorshow

Lovetinkle wrote:As a fag I find this quality in my own kind to be unacceptable. They need to harden up.
Points for that. It's not quite up to codelette calling herself 'a half-nigger spic', but that'll be tough to top.
Incidentally the word-salad "LGBT" has been around for years. The "Q" and the "I" were added later. I'm not sure when I must have missed that meeting of the HomIntern.
LGBT I've been familiar with for years. Though I've always been sceptical about how much of a 'community' you get by simply lumping initials together.
The "Q" I'm not so keen on but the "I" is fine. Intersex folks do have it hard and should be given the benefit of the doubt. Whilst some of the genderqueer and trans activists can be painful dolts, more than one of their critics in this place sound like candidate members of the Aryan Brotherhood. :naughty:
Oo-er. Aryan Brotherhood? He must be talking about you fuckers.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Katamari Damassi wrote:Not on the A+Theism forum(that I've seen anyway)but in other SJW forums, they're trying to push the use of QUILTBAG as an all encompassing term. I shit you not. QUILTBAG.
QUILTBAG? Well, at least it would truly be an acronym at that point (yes, I said acronym before ...what the heck do you call something that is just letters but not comprising of a word?).

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
Katamari Damassi wrote:Not on the A+Theism forum(that I've seen anyway)but in other SJW forums, they're trying to push the use of QUILTBAG as an all encompassing term. I shit you not. QUILTBAG.
QUILTBAG? Well, at least it would truly be an acronym at that point (yes, I said acronym before ...what the heck do you call something that is just letters but not comprising of a word?).
A mess.

Altair

Post by Altair »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
We should have our semi-acronym too. I like V.E.N.O.M, Vicious Evil Network of Misogynists.
Or S.T.A.R.S! Sexist Twats Attacking Rebecca in the Slymepit.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Mr Danksworth wrote:
Mykeru wrote:
LGBTWUT?

Technically, it's not an acronym, it's an initialism.

[youtube]HscBWJhNQ[/youtube]

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Odd, the YouTube video won't embed properly.

real horrorshow

Pitchguest wrote:Technically, it's not an acronym, it's an initialism.

If you hadn't been off playing with the posh kids on FTB you'd have seen me say that a page ago!
And your youtube link is buggered.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Paul W, like windy, spotted that half-fishy had herself used the term "outed" in the blog post she linked to the article.

Fishy's response?
1. Admit that the issue is complex and that she might have been hasty with her post in accusing people of doing exactly the same thing she had done herself.

or

2. Call Paul W an antagonistic troll, claim that the use of the term "outed" means something completely different in the context of the earlier blog post and finally, claim that it doesn't matter anyway because you've changed youe mind since that blogpost and now realize that "outed" is not to be co-opted by atheists.

http://i.imgur.com/f75KG.jpg

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

real horrorshow wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:Technically, it's not an acronym, it's an initialism.

If you hadn't been off playing with the posh kids on FTB you'd have seen me say that a page ago!
And your youtube link is buggered.
I know, not sure why that happened.

As for FTB, I'd like to think I'm doing it as a service for mankind. As an experiment of how much you can take before your brain gives out.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Derp, forgot to remove the embedding!

Mr Danksworth

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Katamari Damassi wrote:. BTW years ago it was GLBT, until the lesbians got everyone to put the L first-because they did so much for our civil rights(not really).
Correction. Radical feminst lesbians. As it stands gay men have a harder time compared to lesbians. Too bad that lesbians get the double oppression points because they are also women. Is there an oppression olympics score card out there?