Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
DW Adams

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by DW Adams »

RebeccaB wrote:
I participated in that thread for a few pages, starting on p.67, but have become very bored with it - especially by the pomposity of Mattus Maximus, who has dominated the last few pages simply by issuing a blizzard of very dull, moralizing posts.
http://forums.randi.org/showpost.php?p= ... count=2687
I thought I recognized that name, MattusMaximus, when I first read his posts today. He's Matt Lowry aka The Skeptical Teacher.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

BarnOwl wrote:Question for the computer/internet savvy - is this possible?
In the age of widespread social media, no trace of Holmes could be found on Facebook, LinkedIn, MySpace, Twitter or anywhere on the Web. Either he never engaged or he scrubbed his trail.
I seem to remember hearing on one of those public radio programs (may have been This American Life) that it's difficult to scrub all internet traces for a person who has used social media, and there are companies that charge quite a bit for doing so.
Yeah, once you're in it, you're pretty much in it for life. And you'll never remember to kill all your aliases.

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

Skeeve wrote:
RebeccaB wrote:
I participated in that thread for a few pages, starting on p.67, but have become very bored with it - especially by the pomposity of Mattus Maximus, who has dominated the last few pages simply by issuing a blizzard of very dull, moralizing posts.
http://forums.randi.org/showpost.php?p= ... count=2687
I thought I recognized that name, MattusMaximus, when I first read his posts today. He's Matt Lowry aka The Skeptical Teacher.
A friend of RW...forgot to add that, heh.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Amazingly cute kitten fail...

Post by Lsuoma »

[youtube]c-CeXxaW348[/youtube]

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

*sigh*

Ya know something? Back in my day, the Tech boys and girls liked each other and got along very well.

I "grew up" and worked in an era where we were a lot more relaxed about this kind of thing. Guys snapping the bra straps of the girls, girls goosing the guys from behind, all kinds of horseplay. We were all in our mid-twenties and having fun while we worked. Seriously, the girls were just as bad as the boys... ever hear a woman say she is going to get an "oil change"? This was in Canada in the 70s.

None of this PC hysterical bull shit that abounds today would have been tolerated. One of the managers used to scrawl "This is a communist plot" on any of torture schemes that HR tried to implement and send it back to them.

One of our support testers sent out a company wide message by accident instead of the single location : "Hey Georgy Porgie Pudding and Pie, Kiss my Tits and Lick my Thighs" , and we all teased her about it, not for the message itself but because she accidentally used the wrong code to send it.

We all stood up and laughed one day when the AM once bellowed out "Call yourself a Systems Engineer?" Hah ha ha... you are so fucking stupid!" (he was actually the brightest of us all so it was a pretty good joke as he had fucked up) and we all laughed at the AM when he subsequently locked everyone out of the system including himself.

I am sorry for you young people today. I really am.
tachikoma wrote:AndrewV69: Point taken.

On big boobs: to be fair, I can see how a singular (or in the minority) woman might feel uncomfortable surrounded by guys laughing about "big boobs", and how that is different from a group of women joking and complaining about their big boobs. However, I still think that labeling "big boobs" a sexist phrase is unproductive. And there are differences between the first scenario I outlined and the actual code incident.

Dilurk

Re: Amazingly cute kitten fail...

Post by Dilurk »

Lsuoma wrote:[youtube]c-CeXxaW348[/youtube]
At least this fluffy kitteh didn't ask me if I wanted a cup of coffee.

MrYellovich

Post by MrYellovich »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:It has been brought up on ERV before, but if you don't have the time to read the book, watch the movie:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1063669/

Die Well/The Wave.

The original 1981 movie can been seen on youtube
[youtube]nKQLbFfRF4s[/youtube]

franc

Post by franc »

rayshul wrote:
In the age of widespread social media, no trace of Holmes could be found on Facebook, LinkedIn, MySpace, Twitter or anywhere on the Web. Either he never engaged or he scrubbed his trail.
Yeah, once you're in it, you're pretty much in it for life. And you'll never remember to kill all your aliases.
You have to assume ANYTHING you have ever posted online will last for eternity and will ALWAYS manage to pop up where you least want it to. get used to it. That's why I always stress that no matter what, NEVER use any genuine personal details ANYWHERE (outside of say your bank or Amazon - at least you have recourse for privacy breaches there). There is NEVER a good reason to use personal details - unless you're an egomaniac fostering your own personality cult. EVER. Just DON'T. There are post facto steps you can take if you have but - randomise your geolocation, birthdays, sexual prefs and status etc. Poison your own data to make it meaningless.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

I hung up my badge a long time ago but my understanding is that it is highly improbable that anyone can to scrub their trail if I understand the question correctly.

It is better to not create a trail in the first place, or failing that use a disposable identity, like I do.
I seem to remember hearing on one of those public radio programs (may have been This American Life) that it's difficult to scrub all internet traces for a person who has used social media, and there are companies that charge quite a bit for doing so.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

franc wrote:...That's why I always stress that no matter what, NEVER use any genuine personal details ANYWHERE (outside of say your bank or Amazon - at least you have recourse for privacy breaches there). There is NEVER a good reason to use personal details - unless you're an egomaniac fostering your own personality cult. EVER. Just DON'T.
Don't tell me how to manage my identity, franc.
I choose to post using my real identity.
My address is publicly available.I'm pretty sure that I am not "egomaniac fostering your own personality cult".
Was this your "Guys, don't do that" moment?
Seriously.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Larry Moran is speaking about creationists here but, it sounds oddly familiar to me.
Sort of makes you wonder, doesn't it? Do you think the IDiots really are interested in debating science or is it only on their own terms, on their own blog, with no comments, and moderated by their own kind?
Original story here http://sandwalk.blogspot.ca/2012/07/we- ... lsand.html

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

AndrewV69 wrote:I am sorry for you young people today. I really am.
It depends on where you work. I think I'm lucky in that respect - we're pretty casual, although not in the bawdy 70s hospital way. My female coworker had this expression when I attempted to explain Elevatorgate to her: :shock:

Offices tend to take their cues from whoever is in charge - and they hire to ensure their new people fit the right personality to get on. Choose your bosses wisely, I think.

[youtube]i6bOr5VWo5Y[/youtube]

franc

Post by franc »

Michael K Gray wrote:Was this your "Guys, don't do that" moment?
Seriously.
We've had this discussion before. You have your reasons - I have not criticised you for them. This is generic advice for folks that don't have your massive intellect and may one day rue being a bitch-cat on heat with their personal data. When in doubt - doubt. So yes, "Guys, don't do that" unless you have a clear reason otherwise.

Parge

Post by Parge »

Git wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:A little font levity from McSweeney's: I'm Comic Sans, Asshole.
FFS, what the fuck is this "ass" abomination? Its arse and hence arsehole. Queen's English, motherfuckers!

:D
I've never heard the Queen say "arse", "arsehole", or even "bum". So! Queen's English, my ass! :P

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Thanks for y'all's answers. Sounds as if the Aurora shooter just didn't engage much on the internet then, other than to purchase his guns, ammo, and body armor. I'm not sure I like the media's focus on the "brilliant science student" aspect ... I think the speculation could get uglier very quickly. They won't focus on any "devout Christian" aspects, even if it turns out that he was very churchy and Jeebussy. Cthulhu forbid that the media would mention any causal relationship between the mass shootings and the ease with which all the firearms, ammo, tear gas, and armor could be purchased by one person.

And with the tear gas and all the body armor the guy was wearing, so much for all the conceal-and-carry hero fantasies. :roll:

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

franc wrote:
Seriously.
We've had this discussion before. You have your reasons - I have not criticised you for them. This is generic advice for folks that don't have your massive intellect and may one day rue being a bitch-cat on heat with their personal data. When in doubt - doubt. So yes, "Guys, don't do that" unless you have a clear reason otherwise.
Fucking colonials...

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

franc wrote:
Seriously.
Sorry, franc!
That was one of my (rare?) 'justicar' moments...

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Lsuoma wrote:...Fucking colonials...
Don't knock it until you try it!

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Michael K Gray wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:...Fucking colonials...
Don't knock it until you try it!
Born in the UK, living in the US (and yes, the US is still still no more than temporarily rebellious colonies...)

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

JeeZus, it is getting busy here. I am, for the first time, having trouble keeping up.

Franc, I don't know if you are the right guy to ask, maybe even John C. Welch, or MKG are, but there are several Outlands comic strips by Berkley Breathed from the 90s that are remarkably prescient and completely perfect to this entire FfTB and Skepchick hysterical idiocy that they would be perfect for reproduction as ironic and satiric examples of how pathetic these people are.

My problems are:

1. I don't know how to determine the legality of reproduction.
2. I don't know how to best repro them.
3. I don't know any of the other techinical hurdles to jump to make it work.

Because of the amazing business here, I will try to remember to ask this question in some more sanguine joint. Or perhaps we could build up a PM exchange?

justinvacula

Gilbert nails it!

Post by justinvacula »

Excellent op-ed by Gilbert Gottfried, posted on CNN - "If you don't want to hear an edgy joke, don't listen"
http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/16/opinion/g ... index.html

Excerpts:
If you have never in your life seen a comedian perform, here are the instructions:

If a comedian tells a joke that you find funny, you laugh. If he tells a joke you do not find funny, don't laugh. Or you could possibly go as far as groaning or rolling your eyes. Then you wait for his next joke; if that's funny, then you laugh. If it's not, you don't laugh -- or at very worst, you can leave quietly.

This is the way going to see a comedian has worked for centuries. Some comedians tell nice jokes that you can tell to your kids. Some use bad words -- they work "blue." If you don't want to hear a joke that's blue, you shouldn't go to a comedy club where a comedian who makes blue jokes is performing.
I have always felt comedy and tragedy are roommates. If you look up comedy and tragedy, you will find a very old picture of two masks. One mask is tragedy. It looks like it's crying. The other mask is comedy. It looks like it's laughing. Nowadays, we would say, "How tasteless and insensitive. A comedy mask is laughing at a tragedy mask."

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Eeeek! I was mistook! I do not follow Skeptifem. I managed to confuse myself. :oops:

[quote="AndrewV69"]I am a fan of Skeptifem, I follow zie on Twitter! (not joking either)

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

@Justin,

Good move on changing your profile pic. It looked (to me anyway), as if you had a flowerpot grafted to the side of your head in the old one.

:lol:

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

AndrewV69 wrote:@Justin,

Good move on changing your profile pic. It looked (to me anyway), as if you had a flowerpot grafted to the side of your head in the old one.

:lol:
I noticed it too :)

franc

Post by franc »

John Greg wrote:JeeZus, it is getting busy here. I am, for the first time, having trouble keeping up.

Franc, I don't know if you are the right guy to ask, maybe even John C. Welch, or MKG are, but there are several Outlands comic strips by Berkley Breathed from the 90s that are remarkably prescient and completely perfect to this entire FfTB and Skepchick hysterical idiocy that they would be perfect for reproduction as ironic and satiric examples of how pathetic these people are.

My problems are:

Because of the amazing business here, I will try to remember to ask this question in some more sanguine joint. Or perhaps we could build up a PM exchange?
Disposable tumblr page?

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

John Greg wrote:JeeZus, it is getting busy here. I am, for the first time, having trouble keeping up.

My problems are:

Send me a PM please.
I can likely help with the legal aspects, and possibly the hosting.

franc

Post by franc »

franc wrote:Disposable tumblr page?
Or Encyclopedia Dramatica?

Michael K Gray

Re: Gilbert nails it!

Post by Michael K Gray »

[quote="justinvacula"...
I have always felt comedy and tragedy are roommates. If you look up comedy and tragedy, you will find a very old picture of two masks. One mask is tragedy. It looks like it's crying. The other mask is comedy. It looks like it's laughing. Nowadays, we would say, "How tasteless and insensitive. A comedy mask is laughing at a tragedy mask."
[/quote]
In fact, the ancient Greeks who invented both theatre as well as these masks did not primarily think of them as 'comedy' or 'tragedy'.
They thought of them as 'levity' and 'gravity'.
The former make ones spirit rise, and the latter makes it sink.

What the Greeks saw as a comedic play was incredibly bawdy. None of that 'bawdy 70's hospital' stuff (above), either.
Many of the actors wore huge phalluses, engaged in simulated rape, and told disgusting jokes about politicians.
They say that the human race has advanced since then. I don't know.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Michael K Gray wrote:

My problems are:

Send me a PM please.

I can likely help with the legal aspects, and possibly the hosting.
Oh, and if you need to 'scan them in', I have some expertise in scanning sreenprinted items such as magazines and comics.
There are 'tricks-of-the-trade', such as scanning them in at a certain skewed angle to minimise moiré effects, and cetera.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Is that you Julian? :o

http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php? ... ost8471392
My name is Checkmite and today I was so obsessed with Rebecca Watson that I taped a screenshot of her blog to my ceiling and started shouting obscenities at it while pleasuring myself.

franc

Post by franc »

Michael K Gray wrote:What the Greeks saw as a comedic play was incredibly bawdy. None of that 'bawdy 70's hospital' stuff (above), either.
Many of the actors wore huge phalluses, engaged in simulated rape, and told disgusting jokes about politicians.
Indeed it has.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

franc wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:What the Greeks saw as a comedic play was incredibly bawdy. None of that 'bawdy 70's hospital' stuff (above), either.
Indeed it has.
Quite.
That puny phallus would be laughed off the scene if paraded during an ancient Greek comedy!
Greek stage phalluses were often 4 feet long or more, and as thick as a thigh.
Auntie 'Feelya would be pleased.

franc

Post by franc »

Michael K Gray wrote:Greek stage phalluses were often 4 feet long or more, and as thick as a thigh.
They have those - couldn't find a pic. I liked the balls tho'.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

franc wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:Greek stage phalluses were often 4 feet long or more, and as thick as a thigh.
They have those - couldn't find a pic. I liked the balls tho'.
PZ is fuming with envy.

franc

Post by franc »

Michael K Gray wrote:PZ is fuming with envy.
This is probably more Myers' cup of tea (not explicit, but NSFW)

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

I'd just like to remind anyone reading that it's not sexist or harrassing to poke fun at the secondary sexual characteristics of another person so long as the person is MALE.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

rayshul wrote:I'd just like to remind anyone reading that it's not sexist or harrassing to poke fun at the secondary sexual characteristics of another person so long as the person is MALE.
We are poking fun at PZ's primary sexual characteristics.
Only those who complain about his beard, or vocal timbre are having a go at his secondary sexual characteristics.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Michael K Gray wrote:
rayshul wrote:I'd just like to remind anyone reading that it's not sexist or harrassing to poke fun at the secondary sexual characteristics of another person so long as the person is MALE.
We are poking fun at PZ's primary sexual characteristics.
Only those who complain about his beard, or vocal timbre are having a go at his secondary sexual characteristics.
Yeah, I realised after refreshing the thread and was like... aw fuck, no backsies.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

MKG, you are not set up in a way that I can send you a PM. Alternatives?

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

John Greg wrote:MKG, you are not set up in a way that I can send you a PM. Alternatives?
I have reset that flag.
Try it now.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

On a matter ofoint about the ftb cult attempting to subvert the movement to their own take on social justice (radfeminism) xxxtina wrote a blog titled "why atheism demands social justice". The proposition was easily dismantled, which wasn't a very difficult thing to do duh. So xxxtina rehashed the same arguments and titled it into another blog post, which i can't remember the name of but will find.

Anyway after having the proposition demolished her sycophants resorted to "you didn't address me by name" wtf? Followed by you're not a very nice person if you don't agree with us, seriously this was the totallity of their argument. Xxxtina as usual doesn't actually get involved in defending her bullshit propositions, i suggest because she's smart enough to know she's spouting bullshit.

What she does resort to in the end, when her sycophants start getting pissed off that i'm not a nice person, is to ask ner fans to let her deal with the trolls! And references those trolls as jerks, Because that is about as good as xxxtina's debate skills get Lol. Though i shouldn't have let dim dazzless derail me into nice vs not nice.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/greta/2012/ ... ment-71183

http://freethoughtblogs.com/greta/2012/ ... ment-71428

franc

Post by franc »

Za-zen wrote:On a matter ofoint about the ftb cult attempting to subvert the movement to their own take on social justice (radfeminism) xxxtina wrote a blog titled "why atheism demands social justice".
Reminds me of the Angel Gang in old 2000ADs -
  • "There's no justice. There's just us."

Trophy

Post by Trophy »

Gumby wrote:Are there any blogs on FtB that don't censor? (other than Comrade Physioproffe that is...)
Maryam Namazie also doesn't sensor. Aslo, take a look at her posts; instead of dealing with silly made-up problems, she is actually addresses issues that effect women and men.

Trophy

Post by Trophy »

Oh and another thing that occurred to me after I saw Maryam Namazie's link on the appearance that she had with Richard Dawkins. Have you noticed how PZ and the rest of the gang have almost stopped linking to Dawkins as well as others outside their little clique of friends? I find it quite disturbing. Even if it is not intentional, it's not a good sign.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Top o' the morning, guvnors!

It seems to have been a busy night here. I may or may not comment on some stuff. I have to go to the bank, after all...

franc

Post by franc »

Za-zen wrote:On a matter ofoint about the ftb cult attempting to subvert the movement to their own take on social justice (radfeminism) xxxtina wrote a blog titled "why atheism demands social justice".
begin gretachristinaism.gibber:
For reasons that are high-minded and noble and altruistic… and for reasons that are pragmatic and Machiavellian to the point of being crass.

Let’s start with the crass, Machiavellian reasons. (Those are always more fun, right?) If we want to make a world that’s better for atheists, making a world with more atheists would certainly be an excellent step. Safety in numbers, and all that. And if we want to make a world with more atheists, an excellent first step would be to work towards a world with greater levels of social justice.
:end gretachristinaism.gibber

What? Huh? Seriously, huh? Wtf? Machiavelli? You think?

What a fucking drooler. This surpasses Chrys Stevenson throwing Nietzsche at me in the idiot stakes.

Listen up Greta, you dried up, unfuckable cunt. In Machiavelli's world, you would be licking manure from my boots with your tongue. You would be consigned to the powerless lower 33.3% that exists only to serve the other. No junkets to conferences, no subsidised blogs to whine about injustice. You would warm the toilet seat for me in the morning, and if lucky, may get to lick the bacon grease from my breakfast plate.

Fuck. just when you think stoopid has hit the wall. I haven't even looked at part two. Don't know if I can.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

RebeccaB wrote:
Gumby wrote:Are there any blogs on FtB that don't censor? (other than Comrade Physioproffe that is...)
There is a small nonlunatic fringe on FftB - eg, The Uncredible Hallq, Token Skeptic, and Edwin Kagin, plus a few of the others who don't get much attention.

I don't know how long Chris Hallquist will last, though, as he's committed cardinal sins like defending DJ Grothe, and siding with Bart Ehrman against the increasingly self-satisfied Richard Carrier. Myers sniped at him the other day, taking lofty issue with a piece Chris did on downloading brains or some such. I'm wondering if it's the early stages of freezing Chris out. Edwin Kagin was pretty viciously attacked by the commentariat early on, as an accused homophobe (which is one of the times I got piled on, defending him), and his blog now exists as a quiet, almost unvisited backwater with about three comments per post.

I saw PZ shit all over Chris's downloading brains post. PZ (and therefore automatically his commenters) have a rage hard-on for Ray Kurzweil type "future science" speculation, and get their pretentious jollies by looking down on that kind of stuff whenever the opportunity presents itself. It's a great way for them to feel like "real skeptics" and present themselves as smarter than everyone else.

Interesting how PZ can basically sneer at Hallquist and cast him as a gullible moron in his rebuttal post, but when Thunderf00t casts PZ in a negative light in his rebuttalposts, he's sacked.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

I'm strongly cheering for Corylus at Benson's blog. She's doing great (as far as I've read).

Starts here, I think: http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... ent-225872

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Trophy wrote:
Maryam Namazie also doesn't sensor. Aslo, take a look at her posts; instead of dealing with silly made-up problems, she is actually addresses issues that effect women and men.
Yes, while Surly Amy sobs and rages about the "injustice" of someone wearing a completely inoffensive T-shirt at a convention, Namazie is concerned with (among other things) the barbaric practice of stoning people to death. "First World Problems" indeed.

franc

Machiavelli - The Prince

Post by franc »

CHAPTER XXII. CONCERNING THE SECRETARIES OF PRINCES
Because there are three classes of intellects: one which comprehends by itself; another which appreciates what others comprehended; and a third which neither comprehends by itself nor by the showing of others; the first is the most excellent, the second is good, the third is useless.

Which one are you Greta?

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I'm strongly cheering for Corylus at Benson's blog. She's doing great (as far as I've read).

Ha ha. Ophelia and Co. have managed to derail the points she's been making and make it all about her calm, eloquent method of discourse. They're evading, dissembling, calling her "rude" and a "troll", and flingin' the baboon poo, all because they're scrambling to avoid answering Corylus's arguments. How shamelessly transparent.

What passes for acceptable discourse and rational debate technique on Ophelia's blog:

"Take your stilted, pretentious diction and perform an autoerotic activity away from the place at which all other commenters on this blog are presently situated."

"I hope Corylus wiped off the thesaurus after she was done hoggling with it."

Jeebus.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

justinvacula wrote:Excellent op-ed by Gilbert Gottfried, posted on CNN - "If you don't want to hear an edgy joke, don't listen"
http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/16/opinion/g ... index.html
(Saith Gilbert) I have always felt comedy and tragedy are roommates. If you look up comedy and tragedy, you will find a very old picture of two masks. One mask is tragedy. It looks like it's crying. The other mask is comedy. It looks like it's laughing. Nowadays, we would say, "How tasteless and insensitive. A comedy mask is laughing at a tragedy mask."

That's gold. Describes the Watsonista "feminist" movement perfectly.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Now that there's an excellent post.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

I don't know if JG would agree for me posting this here, or even if some of you would be mad at me fo FTB linking, but this video was great:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/rockbeyondb ... -must-see/

Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I'm strongly cheering for Corylus at Benson's blog. She's doing great (as far as I've read).

She's a master (mistress?) of the bon mot:
Corylus, you’re rude and oblivious.
These are often mutually exclusive. True rudeness requires the paying of attention.
There's no way she's going to get Ophelia to answer her question, unfortunately.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Patrick wrote:

These are often mutually exclusive. True rudeness requires the paying of attention.
There's no way she's going to get Ophelia to answer her question, unfortunately.
"She's masterly" should be enough, me thinks...

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

MrYellovich wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:It has been brought up on ERV before, but if you don't have the time to read the book, watch the movie:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1063669/

Die Well/The Wave.

The original 1981 movie can been seen on youtube
{youtube link elided}
The UK and the USA were not immune to Nazis either during the 1930s and WWII.
http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/03/20/hit ... pathizers/
http://www.usfsm.edu/academics/cas/caps ... 01930s.pdf

Of course The Hitch knew the story in Britain
http://vindica.blogspot.ca/2011/01/nazi ... itain.html

The movie shows it can happen anywhere, the disturbing numbers of sympathisers found both in the US and UK perhaps show we were very lucky not to be victims ourselves.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Patrick wrote:

"She's masterly" should be enough, me thinks...
I note that their debating technique reminds me so much of the so-called intelligent design folks
http://sandwalk.blogspot.ca/2012/07/we- ... mment-form
Sort of makes you wonder, doesn't it? Do you think the IDiots really are interested in debating science or is it only on their own terms, on their own blog, with no comments, and moderated by their own kind?
Do the obvious substitution.

franc

Post by franc »

Comment elsewhere, sure they won't mind -
I guess I just can't keep up with the times. I remember watching the hearings against Clarence Thomas, where Anita's allegations and own descriptions of Clarence's behavior as constituting harassment against her didn't sound very much like harassment to me. Things are different now though, people've made such strides, right? So no wonder my primitive oldster brain can't comprehend these lengths such as Surly's of extrovertism and expectations of a borg mentality or it's redefined as outgrouping hostility. But perhaps it's like my husband explained to me earlier today--"How can anybody learn without histrionics?"

Decent t-shirt, Harriet has got taste and integrity to her fashion sense. Also, her elbows seem very well maintained and attractive, I can't notice hardly any middle-aged elbow flakes on them, she must be doing something right. And she is also very brave, I am impressed.