Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
Dilurk

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by Dilurk »

I've been fascinated with how similar some of the comments on PZ's blog reminded me of someone else, the infamous v99 of XMRV fame and had mentioned this sometime back months ago to franc.

Researching the history I came across this link http://www.maartensz.org/log/2011/NL111008a.html#1.
My correspondent says Erv - Abbie Smith in real life - is considered to be personally insulting. I replied:
Well, it clearly is personal between Mikovits and Smith, for some reason I don't know. It would be nice to know why, but it's clear Smith doesn't mind mudslinging.
My correspondent details that Erv has called dr. Mikovits "a gigantic cunt", and I replied:
If you detest someone, for whatever reason, and it is a she, that is not so very abnormal. It's unwise to do it in public, but has the merit of being forthright.
(Hi Abbie!)

http://www.maartensz.org/log/2011/NL111008a.html#Oct4-4
My correspondent mentions V99, who is one of the leading lights of the MECFS-forums and I replied:
I tend to mind the nastiness less than the stupidity, which is one of the exasperating things about V99 and many others, all covered by anonymity. I got rid of the dole-problems, three years ago, by naming and shaming bureaucrats who - I found - have that now referred to in their profiles on line, which won't help them, but I can't do the same with these anonymous stupid trolls.
Also fascinating stuff.

I'm still looking for the rabid responses V99 and their followers managed to garner attacking ERV, anyone have a good link or screencap? They reminded me so much of the crowd following the FC5(6). All repeating the same mantra over and over again, in order to magically make it true. I find it fascinating.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

PZ Myers - "We've been around for a year?"
Digital Cuttlefish had to remind me that FtB has been running for about a year. And in that brief span we have drawn out so much venom and hatred...I'm rather proud. Success!
So...pathetic. That's a reason to celebrate? So, either he is admitting that FftB is just a trolling site - going for blog hits - or he's clueless and really prefers venom over anything of substance. Of course, the "venom" and "hatred" directed at him is pretty much in response to his (and his sycophants) words and deeds, and not all of it is "venom". Try to talk rationally with them =/= venom.

Still, this does sound a lot like the creationists who cry "Look at how much they persecute us. That means we are correct and they are afraid of us. Remember - mockery and anger means we are having a positive effect."

Think anybody there will get the irony?

Ok, stupid question....

franc

Post by franc »

Same cunt that blamed Keyser Söze for freethoughtblahgs -

http://i.imgur.com/xunnt.jpg

Bonus laffs - imgur calls this xunnt.jpg

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Dilurk wrote: The UK and the USA were not immune to Nazis either during the 1930s and WWII.
http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/03/20/hit ... pathizers/
http://www.usfsm.edu/academics/cas/caps ... 01930s.pdf
The UK certainly wasn't immune, that's for sure. Mosley and his mob were certainly on the move during the 1930s, and at least gained the support of Lord Rothermere and his Daily Mail newspaper ('Lets hear it for the Blackshirts!') I don't think Mosley's British Union of Fascists (and it must be borne in mind that the BUF was certainly pro-Hitler; Mosley married Diana Mitford at Goebbel's residence, with Hitler in attendance) gained much popular support in purely political terms, but if my various readings of history - Orwell in particular - are correct, there was at least a kind of emotional accord with what Mosley stood for: 'I don't like that Mister 'itler, but I think 'e was right about them Jews,' tended to be the view of the averge Briton during those times.

Oswald Mosley's downfall inevitably came because of his buffoonery: after the decidedly 'un-English' battle of Cable Street*, and too many photographs of Mosley sitting astride his horse in full military regalia, the general British public went against him not so much because of anti-semitism** but because, ironically, his support of, and similarities to Hitler - now pretty much universally hated by the majority of the populace -just became too much to stomach.

---
*Trivia time: one of the Jews who fought against the fascists in Cable Street happened to be Vidal Sassoon. It was often the case that he'd been seen in those early days as an apprentice hairstylist working on a shampoo and set with his face covered in cuts and bruises.

**There has been some debate as to whether or not Mosley really was a heartfelt anti-semite at all, and was simply appropriating national antipathy against the Jews for polictal gain. Either way, it makes him no better than a snivelling, hatemongering little shit.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Here's 9 minutes you'll never get back. I suspect a lot of braincells can die in 9 minutes. If you last long enough, you'll see Rebecca try to learn while drunk, how to do a log out followed by a log in. Let's hope her friend walks her through it live as well, so that she doesn't have to remember how to do it. My apologies in advance to anyone viewing this for long enough to know what I'm talking about.

[youtube]SwG3phGP8UI[/youtube]

Watson now has 2 public youtube channels. There is the old rkwatson, and now SkepchickVideo.

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

Dilurk wrote:My correspondent details that Erv has called dr. Mikovits "a gigantic cunt"
I didnt call her a gigantic cunt. I said if she was accusing other researchers of accepting bribes/falsifying data/manipulating images/etc, without any proof, she was a gigantic cunt. Turns out Mikovits *IS* a gigantic cunt (its been years since I said that, and Mikovits has provided no evidence against other researchers. Only herself. lol). Not my fault. :)
I'm still looking for the rabid responses V99 and their followers managed to garner attacking ERV, anyone have a good link or screencap? They reminded me so much of the crowd following the FC5(6). All repeating the same mantra over and over again, in order to magically make it true. I find it fascinating.
The vast majority of it was on the "ME/CFS forums" (google it, dont want to link and them to trackback to here). Site search them:
site:http://www.mecfsforums.com erv
site:http://www.mecfsforums.com abbie

This ones good:
ERV'' is an Oklahoma University student. Does the University care?
ERV may be quitting virology after this latest blog sham -2 false claims in blog

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

Scented Nectar wrote:Here's 9 minutes you'll never get back. I suspect a lot of braincells can die in 9 minutes. If you last long enough, you'll see Rebecca try to learn while drunk, how to do a log out followed by a log in. Let's hope her friend walks her through it live as well, so that she doesn't have to remember how to do it. My apologies in advance to anyone viewing this for long enough to know what I'm talking about.

[youtube]SwG3phGP8UI[/youtube]

Watson now has 2 public youtube channels. There is the old rkwatson, and now SkepchickVideo.
Ah, Steven Olsen. He saw me at at like FreeOK or Skeptics of OZ or something, gushed over how wonderful I was, I HAD to come to Skepticon, etc etc. Apparently Steve was (is?) one of the Skepticon organizers.

I was like "loooooooooool thats not happening. Not that I wouldnt love to, but thats not happening." (could you imagine the bitch-fit the FtTBers would throw???) He was confused, didnt inquire further, was friends with me on facebook for ages...

I ended up blocking him because I am about 85% sure he was The Mole leaking my private Facebook stuff to Jen/Greta/PZ. Seeing him with Watson and noting that the leaks have stopped: Im about 95%. Still 5% paranoid about further stupidity (Laden making a fake account, knowing I friend anyone who says they are a fan of the blog).

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Abbie, I wouldn't call that paranoid. It's wise considering how the FfTBers have acted in the past.

Bob of QF

Post by Bob of QF »

Patrick wrote:
Bob of QF wrote:
ERV wrote:
John Greg wrote:It's fucking basket weaving, and way, way, way overpriced. Her gewgaws do not deserve the honour of being called art.

Let's get a grip here.
Have you ever weaved a basket?? Thats fucking HARD! *FOUR-H MOTHER FUCKAHS!!!*

And I love Amys art! Very colorful, but needs more glitter! I would totally put it up on the fridge*!

*Ive been hanging out with a 6 and 8 year old a lot lately, so my ruler might be a bit skewed...
Well, it's a law of physics that anything you put glitter on, automagically becomes art...

... !!

The power of glitter cannot be overstressed here.
Strippers are art?

Wait, bad punctuation. Strippers are art!
Indeed. Some more artsy than others, naturally.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

I like Steve Olsen's backlit hair tufts in that video. Reminds me of Keith Flint of 'Firestarter' fame.

http://www.georgeunderwood.com/resource ... hflint.jpg

'I'm a flamewar starter. Twisted flamewar starter.'

Bob of QF

Post by Bob of QF »

Scented Nectar wrote:Here's an old video of Zomgitscriss's. She recently took it down, saying she can't really back up what she said in it. Funny, since that's the only side of the argument that always cites good, up to date research on why there still remains a pay gap in some fields. The person who mirrored her video thinks maybe her new FfTB friends influenced this deleting. She disappeared it for sure.

"Before She was a Feminist, She was Afeminist. The video PzMyers forced Zomgitscriss to delete?"
[youtube]SaLYczenRGE[/youtube]
from the YouTube channel: AmetDebatesDeCrazies

Here's another YouTuber's video interpretation of Criss becoming an FfTBlogger:

"ZOMGITSCRISS CHANNEL CRASH AND BURN"
[youtube]DUM2RYsGTC4[/youtube]
from the YouTube channel: MoreElenkhos4U

It's a damn shame she has felt the pressure from the femtheists to conform to their unsubstantiated beliefs like that ....

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

ERV wrote:
Dilurk wrote:My correspondent details that Erv has called dr. Mikovits "a gigantic cunt"
I didnt call her a gigantic cunt. I said if she was accusing other researchers of accepting bribes/falsifying data/manipulating images/etc, without any proof, she was a gigantic cunt. Turns out Mikovits *IS* a gigantic cunt (its been years since I said that, and Mikovits has provided no evidence against other researchers. Only herself. lol). Not my fault. :)
It always struck me as hypocritical reading the attacks on "tone trolling" at PZs blogs they would stoop to being upset about your tone instead of facts. Moreover the derision tactics taken are very similar to those taken on the ME/CFS forums.
The vast majority of it was on the "ME/CFS forums" (google it, dont want to link and them to trackback to here). Site search them:
site:http://www.mecfsforums.com erv
site:http://www.mecfsforums.com abbie

This ones good:
ERV'' is an Oklahoma University student. Does the University care?
ERV may be quitting virology after this latest blog sham -2 false claims in blog
Yes, that's the forum V99 was on.
Lots of giggles and indistinct talk.

Sounds about right! What no F or C words? I'm sure she could barely contain her foul mouth. Oh and she's doesn't approve of the FDA decision for partners of HIV patients using Truvada. Here's her recommendation: JUST WEAR GODDAMN CONDOMS, PEOPLE.
Sounds similar to the nonsense going on the FC5(6) blogs to me.

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

Somehow, this seemed to cry out to be posted here.

http://www.flashasylum.com/db/files/Com ... s/nuts.png

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Bob of QF wrote:It's a damn shame she has felt the pressure from the femtheists to conform to their unsubstantiated beliefs like that ....
Maybe she's even convinced herself they're right. The baboons might even be an uplifting, good for her change from the anti-natalist crowd I've seen her hang out with on youtube. They all wish there were no humans (or any life?) as the only solution to end all suffering. Surely the porcupine wielding clowns at Fftb are an improvement and must lift her spirits, so to speak?

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Bob of QF wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:Here's an old video of Zomgitscriss's. She recently took it down, saying she can't really back up what she said in it. Funny, since that's the only side of the argument that always cites good, up to date research on why there still remains a pay gap in some fields. The person who mirrored her video thinks maybe her new FfTB friends influenced this deleting. She disappeared it for sure.

"Before She was a Feminist, She was Afeminist. The video PzMyers forced Zomgitscriss to delete?"
[youtube]SaLYczenRGE[/youtube]
from the YouTube channel: AmetDebatesDeCrazies
I wouldn't call her an aFeminist at all, she says herself at the beginning of the video
I am a feminist in my own way
18 seconds in. She simply isn't the variety of radfem that the FC5(6) has been cultivating.

Feminism that does not seek to allow men the same parental rights as women is not a style of feminism I support.

http://goodmenproject.com/families/men- ... versation/

Things are changing for the better. There are men who are choosing to work shorter hours in order to get more family time. My son-in-law happens to be one of them. (He's a great father)

If you listened to the brand of rad/ femtheism from the FC5(6) they'd be still whining about how men get paid more than women
without taking family time into account. A fact Abbie! showed when ERV did the Dawkins coup de grace in vegas post.
(Nice, very nice job Abbie!)
It's a damn shame she has felt the pressure from the femtheists to conform to their unsubstantiated beliefs like that ....
Agreed.

Bob of QF

Post by Bob of QF »

Scented Nectar wrote:
Bob of QF wrote:It's a damn shame she has felt the pressure from the femtheists to conform to their unsubstantiated beliefs like that ....
Maybe she's even convinced herself they're right. The baboons might even be an uplifting, good for her change from the anti-natalist crowd I've seen her hang out with on youtube. They all wish there were no humans (or any life?) as the only solution to end all suffering. Surely the porcupine wielding clowns at Fftb are an improvement and must lift her spirits, so to speak?
To be fair, I've only watched 5 or 6 of Zomgitscriss's vids-- mostly, as reference-links from other vids I was watching.

YouTube is a great time-waster, and I tend to fast-forward alot...

... but to be fair, I really don't know that much about criss apart from those. But I did see the ones where she stated she was childless by choice, and saw nothing substantially wrong with her arguments (in that one vid). I thought she had some good points-- and people should not be judged by how many (or few) kids they produced, I think. As Heinlein said, we don't own our own genes-- at best, we rent them for a few decades...

But I was sorry to see her bowing to the pressure from the FtBots...

Bob of QF

Post by Bob of QF »

Dilurk wrote: I wouldn't call her an aFeminist at all, she says herself at the beginning of the video
18 seconds in. She simply isn't the variety of radfem that the FC5(6) has been cultivating.

Feminism that does not seek to allow men the same parental rights as women is not a style of feminism I support.

http://goodmenproject.com/families/men- ... versation/

Things are changing for the better. There are men who are choosing to work shorter hours in order to get more family time. My son-in-law happens to be one of them. (He's a great father)

If you listened to the brand of rad/ femtheism from the FC5(6) they'd be still whining about how men get paid more than women
without taking family time into account. A fact Abbie! showed when ERV did the Dawkins coup de grace in vegas post.
(Nice, very nice job Abbie!)
Agreed.
I've really never watched a video from Zomgitscriss that I had major issues with-- but as I said previously, I have hardly covered her range of topics-- maybe 5 or 6, and not even all of those in total.

I admit it-- I was first attracted to her style of speaking (I love listening to various dialects/accents of English-- have always been fascinated by how different cultures utilize English). I used to put her videos on in the background, while doing other internet things, just to listen. :)

(... of course, some would claim I only watched because she's attractive, and I'm male.... there may be some truth to that with the first video I watched of Zomgitscriss, but once I heard her speak, everything else went by the wayside.... believe it or not, I really don't give a shit ... :lol: )

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Abbie:
Still 5% paranoid about further stupidity (Laden making a fake account, knowing I friend anyone who says they are a fan of the blog).
Example of the type of Facebook request Abbie would get from Osama Greg Laden...

...Hi Abbie! I'm a huge fan of the work you have done on ERV's and combatting various nutcases and deniers who attack the science that you excel in. Please friend me on Facebook. If you don't I will kill you. In fact, I would be so angry that I would have to hurt you before I killed you.

Kindest regards, Greg Laden...

;)

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Bob of QF wrote:
Dilurk wrote: I wouldn't call her an aFeminist at all, she says herself at the beginning of the video
I admit it-- I was first attracted to her style of speaking (I love listening to various dialects/accents of English-- have always been fascinated by how different cultures utilize English). I used to put her videos on in the background, while doing other internet things, just to listen. :)
[ size = 50 ]
You do know how hard that is for an old lady to read? BUT I SAW THAT!
(... of course, some would claim I only watched because she's attractive, and I'm male.... there may be some truth to that with the first video I watched of Zomgitscriss, but once I heard her speak, everything else went by the wayside.... believe it or not, I really don't give a shit ... :lol: )
No matter your feelings, I think we do agree it is a shame she is being indoctrinated to think like the rest of the horde.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

CommanderTuvok wrote:Please friend me on Facebook. If you don't I will kill you. In fact, I would be so angry that I would have to hurt you before I killed you.

Kindest regards, Greg Laden...[/i]

;)
OK, who does everybody think would win a cage fight between Laden and Julian?

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/216/4924 ... 3f3399.jpg

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Dilurk wrote:I think we do agree it is a shame she is being indoctrinated to think like the rest of the horde.
To be honest I think a lot of people are being a bit condescending to her, assuming that she cannot change her opinion without it being the will of PeeZus.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

justinvacula wrote:http://i.imgur.com/XYx0r.jpg

???
Lulz. They should be had aplenty.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

bhoytony wrote:
Dilurk wrote:I think we do agree it is a shame she is being indoctrinated to think like the rest of the horde.
To be honest I think a lot of people are being a bit condescending to her, assuming that she cannot change her opinion without it being the will of PeeZus.
Good point. I should have added the proviso of "IF that is what happened". It is only a strong suspicion at the moment, not a granted.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Patrick

Post by Patrick »

justinvacula wrote:http://i.imgur.com/XYx0r.jpg

???
I can't find the quote on Ophelia's blog, but the Lousy Canuck still has it:
I think one of the most hurtful things I experienced while attending TAM was Harriet Hall’s Tshirt that she wore three days in a row. I told her through tears, in the speakers’ lounge, that it was dehumanizing and gender/color blind and very hurtful to me specifically as a person who does have to deal with harassment regularly.
Now, technically, she didn't say she was in tears because of the shirt, but that's certainly the impression I got reading it the first time.

EveryMan

Post by EveryMan »

Dilurk wrote:
I wouldn't call her an aFeminist at all, she says herself at the beginning of the video
She sounds like an equity feminist that is pointing out that men get paid more because they work more. i didn't watch the whole video, but I didn't see the point made that due to sexual dimorphism human males can produce about 50% more physical "work" than human females. The downside being this means men have to do all the 'heavy lifting' jobs; which is why men also die earlier.

Hence human females making up the majority of the population and having most of the "wealth". There is no 'free lunch' in nature.

Which leads me ask, do the femmies really want "equal pay for equal work"? Would they prefer working on a fishing boat or oil rig vs. their desk jobs? I don't get it.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

There's something in philosophy known as abduction - the inference to the best explanation given the available information. While abduction won't necessarily work in all cases, it would seem to be most reasonable for us to believe -- I would wager -- that Amy's tears were mainly a reaction to Dr. Hall's t-shirt and Dr. Hall's 'refusal' to take it off given
I think one of the most hurtful things I experienced while attending TAM was Harriet Hall’s Tshirt that she wore three days in a row. I told her through tears, in the speakers’ lounge, that it was dehumanizing and gender/color blind and very hurtful to me specifically as a person who does have to deal with harassment regularly.
I felt that it was a personal attack (whether or not intended as such) since I was the main public representative of Skepchick at the event and it said ‘skepchick’ on her shirt and I told her that. I know she had a right to wear that shirt even though it was hurtful. But one day would have been enough when she was at the podium to send her message. To continue wearing it every single day, especially after I had expressed how upset I was with it, was cruel and shortsighted to say the least. That was very, very disappointing since I used to have a lot of respect for her. But there were so many detractors there that I’m sure she was getting a lot of love for slamming “skepchicks” everyday, and so my feelings were the minority and so became irrelevant.
I was told there were 19 people secretly monitoring the event for harassment but no public policy or message on how to report incidents other than some info hidden on the JREF website under FAQs that I never saw. I only found out about this after I was in tears in the speakers’ lounge with a few people and suddenly a super-secret harassment specialist team was brought in to talk with me.
In a follow-up, though, Amy said,
This was not the only incident that happened to me at TAM where people were targeting me with personalized items meant to mock or diminish my presence. I only bring up the Harriet Hall instance because she is already in the spotlight as a leader in our community and because she was someone I looked up to. The other people who targeted me don’t deserve our attention at this point. So know that just a ‘silly tshirt’ did not reduce me to tears. Sadly, there was a lot more going on.
I hope that Harriet will realize why it was so hurtful and why I was offended by both the front and the back. Some of us have been harassed at events and do not feel safe. The shirt was also hurtful to those in that context as well.
Ok, not 'just the shirt,' fine. Obviously there are emotions associated with the shirt and other factors, but in the initial comment, Amy talks about crying before she was aware of the 'super secret teams.' She also focuses very much on the t-shirt.

The shirt, though, as reasonable observers -- I would think -- had at least something to do with the tears! Come on, Amy...

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

I'd be tempted to ask Amy what particular item of clothing did actually leave her in tears, then.

Jesus, she sounds like an annoying, whiny, drama-vampire, over-emotional git. Imagine having to work with it - you'd never get a minutes peace.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

CommanderTuvok wrote:Abbie:
Still 5% paranoid about further stupidity (Laden making a fake account, knowing I friend anyone who says they are a fan of the blog).
Our good ol' CBC talked about this on an episode of Spark.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story ... ilton.html
Example of the type of Facebook request Abbie would get from Osama Greg Laden...

...Hi Abbie! I'm a huge fan of the work you have done on ERV's and combatting various nutcases and deniers who attack the science that you excel in. Please friend me on Facebook. If you don't I will kill you. In fact, I would be so angry that I would have to hurt you before I killed you.

Kindest regards, Greg Laden...

;)
I remember Nora Young talking to a scientist who had chosen to remain anonymous as a blogger. I can imagine any scientist doing animal experimentation would want to remain anonymous if they blog. The nutcases do like to harass working scientists making it difficult for them to work.

real horrorshow

Post by real horrorshow »

So, safely back home in the nest with Momma-bird and Surly feels ready for combat again. None of that nasty face to face business, she uses keyboard julian-jitsu.

Is Ophelia now going to apologise? Is Ophelia going to "fuck off", or "piss off" or what? Even by Opheliar standards disappearing several hundred comments is pushing it.

Does anyone else savour the fact that the 'hijacking' of the #FTBullies tag has lead to it being used for this series of irony free TwittleTwatage?

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

I call bullshit and backtracking. Had she been in the lounge crying over something else, she would have included it in the first narrative.

By mentioning the tears while speaking with HH, without indicating why, she is intentionally telling everyone HH is the reason she's crying.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

TedDahlberg wrote:Somehow, this seemed to cry out to be posted here.

http://www.flashasylum.com/db/files/Com ... s/nuts.png
http://gumbercules.com/lovethispost.jpg

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

The tshirt Left amy in tears when she thought that would be enough to cause a problem. When she realised that infact the mjority of the skeptic movement weren't conditioned enough yet to dance to a crazy whine, it suddenly became about more than the tshirt. When that didn't work, it's not the t-shirt, i'm sure she'll dream up something hyper offensive that took place.

The problem actually is that people such as this are given airtime in the skeptic movement. The response should be: grow up, and please keep your breakdowns for your shrink.

Steve Schuler

Post by Steve Schuler »

Hey Good People!

I think that some of you are being a tad presumptuous in thinking that it was definitely the T-shirt that made the Surly One cry.

My own hunch is that she is afflicted with Brazilian Butt Worms. And believe me, they will make a strong man cry! But what right-minded person would want to publicly disclose that they are host to those pesky and ravenous brutes? Just give the poor girl the benefit of a doubt, whydoncha?

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

So it was about a T-shirt until everybody laughed at her, then it was about OTHER THINGS. The only problem is that she won't tell anybody what those things are. Is she really an adult? Her excuses seem to be at about the same age level as her "art" .

StueNever

Post by StueNever »

This was not the only incident that happened to me at TAM where people were targeting me with personalized items meant to mock or diminish my presence.
Amy wrote about another incident about a personalized item that was meant to mock or diminish her presence at TAM:
Ophelia Benson says: I'm about to relate another very tragic story for you all. But before I do, I want everyone to stay strong for me, because that's the only way anyone can possibly read it the whole way through without succumbing to rage tears. This happened during the second last day of the rape-enabling, misogynistic, MRA-lovin' "skeptic's" con called TAM.

I'll now pass it over to Surly Amy to tell the rest of the harrowing tale:

I was at my booth selling "Girl Power" and "Never Give Up" artwork when a (white) man started browsing my wares. He was holding a cup of coffee (that was the first straw) with one hand and fingering my artwork with the other. He seemed to really like my art and offered to buy a "My Body, My Decision" necklace for $99.99, but when he reached for his wallet in his back pocket, he fumbled his coffee and spilled it all over the front of his white T-shirt. He told me not to worry (yes, he told me how to feel!) because the coffee was cold and that he was fine.

He handed me the $100 bill (a penny in tips cuz I'm a floozy like that) and walked off with his T-shirt still stained brown with the coffee. I couldn't just let him walk around like that! My sisterblogger, Skepchick, was attacked in an elevator last summer with an offer for coffee in a strange foreign land and now this dude was strutting around with that sign of oppression all over his shirt. I couldn't let that stand. I chased the man down and told him to take his T-shirt off. He looked at me weirdly and eventually said no. So I told him how coffee made me feel and how it made me uncomfortable and oppressed. Not only that, but the coffee stain attacked me as a representative of Skepchick, because it was us, the Skepchicks, who suffered the most from what Rebecca Watson had to endure in that elevator a year ago. I begged him to take it off, but he said no again. He said he couldn't change at the moment, because he was going to see Miranda Celeste Hale (of course, the gender traitor) speak.

So I did what any strong feminist would do at that moment and burst into tears for not getting things my way. This alerted the invisible TAM Gestapo, who suddenly sprang to my table without a second's warning. They asked questions that violated by personhood, like "How are you feeling?", "Why are you crying?" and "Is there anything we can do to help?" Security people, DON'T DO THAT! I didn't want to answer questions at that time, my obvious body language should have told you that. I have to say this though: the security guards and the security camera made me feel really insecure. How about next time a little less of both so I can, personally, feel more secure?

I had to leave TAM early because of this horrible man. I didn't feel safe anymore. This wasn't a safe space, knowing that his coffee-stained shirt could appear before my eyes at any moment.

That's my story and just another case of harassment of the already countless ones that happened and will continue to happen (hopefully) during TAM. All of which will be swept under the carpet by the women-hating TAM organizers.

Oh, and there were a bunch of other people harassing me too. I'll totally come back to you on that and name names and such.

Bye.
Wow, these harassment cases are coming out of the woodwork!

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Gumby wrote:"Take your stilted, pretentious diction and perform an autoerotic activity away from the place at which all other commenters on this blog are presently situated."

"I hope Corylus wiped off the thesaurus after she was done hoggling with it."

Jeebus.
Pretty funny. Nonetheless I doubt they appreciate just how much Corylus wiped the floor with them.

Hilarious. Perhaps there is an instinct of self preservation at work, a feeling that some things are best left unexamined, hence the refusal to examine, much less answer.

Steve Schuler

Post by Steve Schuler »

Well StueNever, your disclosure of what Really Happened at TAM just blows my Brazillian Buttworm Hypothesis completely out of the water.

Nice Work!

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Gumby wrote:"Take your stilted, pretentious diction and perform an autoerotic activity away from the place at which all other commenters on this blog are presently situated."

"I hope Corylus wiped off the thesaurus after she was done hoggling with it."

Jeebus.
Pretty funny. Nonetheless I doubt they appreciate just how much Corylus wiped the floor with them.

Hilarious. Perhaps there is an instinct of self preservation at work, a feeling that some things are best left unexamined, hence the refusal to examine, much less answer.
Corylus is definitely a polished blade wrapped in silk. Certainly made Ophelia and the baboons look more stupid than usual. Her last word about it on Phillip's blog (http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID ... 0224913889) is pristinely cutting:
Oh well, she [Ophelia] knows that the comments she did not allow to be shown were (all bar the last one) very, very polite and simply directed to people talking to me.

She knows and I know how we have respectively behaved - and with that, I can live :)

Corylus
Ouch! :lol:

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

So, is Surly Amy in fact Vicky Pollard?

There's a "yeah but no but yeah but no" feel to her arrassement stuff...

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:So, is Surly Amy in fact Vicky Pollard?

There's a "yeah but no but yeah but no" feel to her arrassement stuff...
Oops, I accidently an H...

StueNever

Post by StueNever »

Steve Schuler wrote:Well StueNever, your disclosure of what Really Happened at TAM just blows my Brazillian Buttworm Hypothesis completely out of the water.

Nice Work!
That's not a mental image I want to have. :shock:

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Dilurk, English isn't Amet's first language, so he may have titled the video with an incorrect usage of "a-". The gist of what he means is there though.

mordacious1

AHAB (again)

Post by mordacious1 »

While reading through that thread over at Buttflies and Whirls, the one where Corylus, Phillip and Quine (all who I've respected for years, based on their style of argumentation), I couldn't stop picturing OB as Ahab (yet again), stalking around, threatening everyone with her harpoon. "I've got the white whale to kill, fuck off, you're done here, go away and don't come back...the white whale, that's what's important. Get off my ship unless you've got knowledge about the white whale. Take your logical arguments elsewhere. Have you seen the white whale? He's out there somewhere. Dawkins, Blackford, Hale, Abbie, Corylus, Phillip, Quine, and all others are friends of the whale and aren't welcome aboard. Killing the whale is what is important. And calling him Moby Dick is fine, because he IS a dick and I hate him.

Sometimes, obsession is not a good thing.

Steve Schuler

Post by Steve Schuler »

@StueNever

Too late now, sorry Bro!

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Interesting paper by a Chris Willett being tweeted One year after Elevatorgate

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Well I have been waiting for someone else to speak up about Taslima Nasreen so at this point I guess it is up to me.

Sorry people if you admire her, but she is quite simply, an intellectual parrot, another PZ Myers but without his sense of responsibility.

It is pretty clear that she has been elevated in the West due to her parroting while in possession of a sacred Yonni. She has as much credibility as Mona Eltahawy, and certainly less that that pwecious, pwecious hothouse flower Salman Rushdie.

You would be better off listening to people like Irshad Manji and Ayaan Hirsi Ali (neither of whom have a snowballs chance in hell of reform BTW), rather than the pretentious opportunistic attention whores who make a living off regurgitating catch phrases.

But do not take my word for it about Nasreen. Go read her blog on FftB and see the superficial shallow, vain, self indulgent puffery for yourself.

This is no hero. Worship her at your own risk.

StueNever

Post by StueNever »

Taslima told me I hate all women's feet because I want to bind them in the traditional Chinese method, despite not being Chinese or traditional. I never knew I hated women's feet for that reason, but I feel enlightened about women's feet after having read her post.

EveryMan

Post by EveryMan »

bhoytony wrote:So it was about a T-shirt until everybody laughed at her, then it was about OTHER THINGS. The only problem is that she won't tell anybody what those things are. Is she really an adult? Her excuses seem to be at about the same age level as her "art" .
While I don't know the details, I do know JREF'ers and I'm sure there were all sorts of snarky comments/pranks directed at her.

This is their way of telling her to either grow up or fuck off. Looks like she chose the latter. As mentioned, this is an organization for enlightened adults, not self-entitled children.

I'm not justifying this sort of behavior, but the simple reality is that if you constantly over-react to something, some people will do it deliberately to get a rise out of you.

Munkhaus

Penis-bearing woman Munkhaus.

Post by Munkhaus »

If I might be permitted to quote G Love at this point: Yo Philly Wassup?!

As well as banking and laundry, I have been engaged in getting my laptop up and running again: yes, I forced the glibc update and bricked my box.
But hey, thanks for harassing and bullying me about my piss-poor Linux skillsz! (does Laden use "Lie-nux"? Aha... aha ha ha :(

I've been following on the old ipod and saw lots of stuff I was going to comment insightfully on but I can't remember what they were now. The only thing I'm sure of is that some of you are bullying and harassing me in some way. So, don't do that.
Plus I'm 2/3rds into a cheeky Shiraz; good times.

Carry on.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Taslima had a hatfull of bullshit, that she believes in passionately, and feels every needs to see the world in the wy she does. She an ftb ate a perfect match. The standard of intellect on fftb isn't very high.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Mallorie Nasrallah. That's all...

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Jesus, I swear if Greta Christina was a marshmallow, she'd happily eat herself. Just how smugly self-satisfied is she? Aside from wittering on about her bad knee and the wonderful time she and all LGBT skepticism had at the hospital - and subsequently basking in the sympathy and adoration of a commentariat which frequently claimed to be shedding literal tears of joy for her (I kid you not! Start here: http://freethoughtblogs.com/greta/2012/ ... ment-82894 has to be said, the last comment from that clearly insane troll 'Shittler' was worth a lol, at least) - she offers a gushing puff for her book, and claims, with a disingenguity one can barely believe, that there are some 'wonderfully flattering blurbs'.

She then proceeds to offer nine effusive puffs for her tome, four of which come from her fellow FTBers, with another from Watson.

Ironically, the title of her book is 'Why Are You Atheists So Angry? 99 Things That Piss Off the Godless'.

Well, quite.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Noticing something about the twitter nonsense on #FTBullies still going on, Sally Strange reminds me a lot of V99 for some reason. The same obsessive compulsion to repeat things over and over again, the same denigration techniques. Fascinating.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

@Astro,

You may like this blogger. Some hilarious stuff. One small sample:
http://kafila.org/2012/01/18/satanic-ve ... -election/
Once again, the wonderful, and quintessentially Indian art of consensual dithering while idiots clamor is working its magic. If Rushdie is prevailed upon, or persuaded not to come, the real villain of this piece will have revealed itself to have been the Government of Rajasthan, which, by acting to transfer the benefits of its patently un-democratic and illiberal action to the Congress party’s electoral prospects in a state that is not even Rajasthan, will have shown how cynical the imagination of our political class can be. The Congress will make the Congress gain by saying nothing. And then, when it is asked to take a stand. it will piously say it did no wrong, because it said nothing. It will have dealt the silent-hand of un-doing by doing nothing that outsmarts even the cleverest nay-sayers of Gup and Chup.
I am in stiches!

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Sally Strange, for all her strident activism (by means of...er, twitter and FTB) against sexism, racism, ableism, priviledgism, orgism (mens), homophobia, transphobia, and so on and so forth, clearly has a soft spot for a little xenophobic barb every now and then: https://twitter.com/#!/SallyStrange/med ... 2FkSXXKz1v

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Tigzy wrote:Sally Strange, for all her strident activism (by means of...er, twitter and FTB) against sexism, racism, ableism, priviledgism, orgism (mens), homophobia, transphobia, and so on and so forth, clearly has a soft spot for a little xenophobic barb every now and then: https://twitter.com/#!/SallyStrange/med ... 2FkSXXKz1v
Well, it's only against Germans. It's not like she mentioned Nazis. Or asked if Prune Juice was made with real Ophelia. :twisted:

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Tigzy wrote:Sally Strange, for all her strident activism (by means of...er, twitter and FTB) against sexism, racism, ableism, priviledgism, orgism (mens), homophobia, transphobia, and so on and so forth, clearly has a soft spot for a little xenophobic barb every now and then: https://twitter.com/#!/SallyStrange/med ... 2FkSXXKz1v
I loled a bit. Yet again, they've had a tendency to invade us this past century. Now, before I get destroyed with rightful indignation, my label is Austrian. It's like these guys also speak German.

Gurdur, we miss you.