Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads

Cunning Punt

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by Cunning Punt »

Mykeru wrote:
jjbinx007 wrote:
4) Actual confirmed photo of Mykeru: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-IOnO9BcQazI/U ... 00/0a0.jpg

Don't forget this one
Oh you fucking bastard.

JackRayner
Location: In the basement of the University of Minnesota Morris

Post by JackRayner »

somedumbguy wrote: Still, I would love to see AVfM have some form of forum or google hangout or RL meetup where AFvM could strategize amongst its authors and among other MRAs or MRM sympathizers (Barbary Kay for instance) in terms of what messages they want to push and concentrate on, and how to frame those messages.
NOPE. Not going to happen. And even if it does, anyone with a pinch of MGTOW in them will say FUCK YOU to all of it.
1) Use of mangina. Paul does not use that anymore and stated why. But any use of "mangina" was never ever going to fly as a way to support or move mens rights forward. And it certainly was never anything I wanted to be associated with. It was about the easiest way to get someone unfamiliar with mens rights to shut down and immediately agree with feminist criticisms that mens rights was all about misogyny.
You will not be getting many people to agree with that one. There are plenty of PC folk, if that's what you're looking for. Personally, if someone wants to shut down over word use, they were probably going to shut down at some point anyhow. [Had it happen plenty of times with debates/arguments with people defending something irrational, and when I didn't even use "profane" language. Just using direct and to the point language, and I get people flouncing left and right after becoming "offended".] Is it kind of counter productive? Maybe. But I personally don't give two shits. Why? Because at the end of the day, when I look at examples like that of Warren Farrell, who is the most soft-spoken guy speaking about men's rights that I know of, and see what he got [a whole crew of vile feminists and manginas [C wut I did dur?] to block the entrance to one of his talks, spewing all kinds of hate and verbally abusing anyone looking to walk inside], it's pretty clear that speaking up about unpleasant realities that go against the social narrative will get people to "shut down". So, just like to the centralizing, I vote for a FUCK YOU on the PC language. I really doubt fragile minds are the demographic for this type of stuff anyhow...

And "misogyny"? PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT! Do you remember where it is you are posting right now? This is the international headquarters of misogynist and gender traitors. Please tell us all about how if we were just good little boys and girls, and watched our words, no one would accuse us of misogyny. :roll:
2) YouTube video responses that are over ... 2 minutes in length or with bad sound. I may just be old, but I still know I can read a 20 minute YouTube presentation in 5 minutes, and understand it a lot better. And I bet that on paper or web page that 20 minute rant is edited and a lot more coherent. I don't have time in my day for any 20 minute presentation, and my ADD won't let me sit through it. But I do have times when I can read and skim a 5 minute paper. This is not unique to AVfM, I am totally befuddled as to why there are any of these YT rants that last more than 3 minutes and why they have anything more than 7 views to them. As much as I love and appreciate GWW et. al., I have never ever been able to sit through one of those videos. But I am sure it's just me. People apparently like them.
Meh.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

@simonknowz has created a timeline:

http://newsecular.wordpress.com/
Starting in 2010, the topic of participation of women in the new secular movement has received an extraordinary amount of attention. There is a range of views on the subject that has resulted in sharp public disagreements.

Complicating matters, much of the commentary is often made based on incomplete information and lack of context. For example, often times video of a speaker’s talk will be released long after the discussion of the remarks has largely ceased. In addition, most articles and blog posts tend to only discuss specific episodes, making it difficult for new participants and observers to enter the conversation.

As a result someone some new to the topic will probably miss out on many of the key events through no fault of their own, with the subject appearing more unwieldy than it has to be.

This has necessitated a chronological examination of the topic in it’s entirety, that provides an accessible and meaningful summary. The format I have chosen for this is a timeline, and I will be updating periodically.

My hope is that the timeline proves useful and informative.

sacha

Post by sacha »

Mykeru wrote:
sacha wrote:
sacha wrote:
The thing is, the Baboons have always known I'm proud to be a gender traitor
at least once they were no longer convinced I was franc pretending to be a woman. I think some still believe that.
If I'm responsible for everything bad that's happened to Greg Laden (rather than Greg Laden himself, the very thought being outrageous) and yet I'm your sock puppet, and you are Francs sock puppet and...
incestuous

or the slime pit (I happen to like the original spelling) is one giant organism - just call us Pando
Pando (Latin for "I spread"), also known as The Trembling Giant, is a clonal colony of a single male Quaking Aspen (Populus tremuloides) determined to be a single living organism by identical genetic markers and one massive underground root system. The plant is estimated to weigh collectively 6,000,000 kg (6,600 short tons), making it the heaviest known organism. The root system of Pando, at an estimated 80,000 years old, is among the oldest known living organisms.
well there you go,

perhaps the resident masters of wit and satire will enjoy defining the Pango points of interest for the Baboons:

clonal colony of single males

(the reason PZ decided I had to be a sock of franc's is that a woman would never think the way I do.)

The Trembling Giant of Quaking Aspen
(is that Mykeru's vibrating voice of rage?)
...quaking aspen regularly reproduces via a process called suckering.
Is that what we do when we have the evidence to prove what was actually stated, instead of the "new improved version of events"?
that sentence alone, makes it all worthwhile
An individual stem can send out lateral roots that, under the right conditions, send up other erect stems; from all above-ground appearances the new stems look just like individual trees. The process is repeated until a whole stand, of what appear to be individual trees, forms. This collection of multiple stems, called ramets, all form one, single, genetic individual, usually termed a clone.
identical genetic markers = one massive colony of franc clones

the most massive single living organism known
6,000,000 kg (heaviest known organism)
one colossal underground root system
80,000 years old

Pitters, Pit Crew, Pit Bulls... Pandoans?

franc

Post by franc »

somedumbguy

Post by somedumbguy »

JackRayner wrote:
somedumbguy wrote: Still, I would love to see AVfM have some form of forum or google hangout or RL meetup where AFvM could strategize amongst its authors and among other MRAs or MRM sympathizers (Barbary Kay for instance) in terms of what messages they want to push and concentrate on, and how to frame those messages.
NOPE. Not going to happen. And even if it does, anyone with a pinch of MGTOW in them will say FUCK YOU to all of it.
1) Use of mangina. Paul does not use that anymore and stated why. But any use of "mangina" was never ever going to fly as a way to support or move mens rights forward. And it certainly was never anything I wanted to be associated with. It was about the easiest way to get someone unfamiliar with mens rights to shut down and immediately agree with feminist criticisms that mens rights was all about misogyny.
You will not be getting many people to agree with that one. There are plenty of PC folk, if that's what you're looking for. Personally, if someone wants to shut down over word use, they were probably going to shut down at some point anyhow. [Had it happen plenty of times with debates/arguments with people defending something irrational, and when I didn't even use "profane" language. Just using direct and to the point language, and I get people flouncing left and right after becoming "offended".] Is it kind of counter productive? Maybe. But I personally don't give two shits. Why? Because at the end of the day, when I look at examples like that of Warren Farrell, who is the most soft-spoken guy speaking about men's rights that I know of, and see what he got [a whole crew of vile feminists and manginas [C wut I did dur?] to block the entrance to one of his talks, spewing all kinds of hate and verbally abusing anyone looking to walk inside], it's pretty clear that speaking up about unpleasant realities that go against the social narrative will get people to "shut down". So, just like to the centralizing, I vote for a FUCK YOU on the PC language. I really doubt fragile minds are the demographic for this type of stuff anyhow...

And "misogyny"? PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT! Do you remember where it is you are posting right now? This is the international headquarters of misogynist and gender traitors. Please tell us all about how if we were just good little boys and girls, and watched our words, no one would accuse us of misogyny. :roll:
2) YouTube video responses that are over ... 2 minutes in length or with bad sound. I may just be old, but I still know I can read a 20 minute YouTube presentation in 5 minutes, and understand it a lot better. And I bet that on paper or web page that 20 minute rant is edited and a lot more coherent. I don't have time in my day for any 20 minute presentation, and my ADD won't let me sit through it. But I do have times when I can read and skim a 5 minute paper. This is not unique to AVfM, I am totally befuddled as to why there are any of these YT rants that last more than 3 minutes and why they have anything more than 7 views to them. As much as I love and appreciate GWW et. al., I have never ever been able to sit through one of those videos. But I am sure it's just me. People apparently like them.
Meh.
I haven't accused anyone of misogyny.

I have told you of my ongoing journey from father's rights to possibly men's rights.

Though I think the cries we hear today of misogyny are vastly overblown, (and though you can read my contributions here and get a good idea of how I feel and how I reason) nevertheless, that doesn't mean misogyny doesn't exist. Just as I think misandry certainly exists. The rapes in India that have made the news recently, especially where the victim of rape is raped again by a policeman and again by her supervisor, amongst the class reasons, I think misogyny is another fitting reason.

And along that way, whether misogyny in the US exists to the extent the feminists say it does or not, yes, I do take issue with associating what I consider to be the worst behavior of a person with a vagina. Hey, dude, I love vaginas. And I like my dick. And I would be offended, and am offended when feminists say, "You're a rapist", "Stop letting your dick think for you", or when they laugh at crimes of male genital mutilation.

Using words like mangina, regardless of how valid *you* may think it is, will always be a losing strategy towards gaining supporters or fighting off claims we are misogynistic.

You want to stop VAWA? Lobbying in public against the "manginas" that support VAWA ain't going to get you very far. Using the word in private will work up until you are infiltrated, and then you're going to look like a misogynist dumbass.

This isn't PC language. PC would be denying it even exists. "We can't mention it". This is stupid language that is counterproductive. There are far better ways to describe "mangina" behavior. Self-loathing, ignorant, White Knight, lapdog, lickspittle, toady, groupie, brown-noser, sexist, condescending and patriarchal.

No one's saying the concept doesn't exist. We're saying there are better ways to describe it, that are more clear and more descriptive, that remove any association with misogyny, promote outreach, and encourage supporters.

This has been discussed many times at A Voice for Men. Search around.

Dan

Post by Dan »

WoolyBumblebee

Post by WoolyBumblebee »

Al Stefanelli wrote:I am truly honored...

http://wcoa.info/wow.jpg

And thanks for the publicity. That video is nearing 12,100 views, with 550 comments. You guys rock.
When I was WoTW my views sky rocketed. It's awesome! Congrats!!

WoolyBumblebee

Post by WoolyBumblebee »

My hubby lays into Jennifur

[youtube]HhQA9mLkGmI[/youtube]

WoolyBumblebee

Post by WoolyBumblebee »

welch wrote:
WoolyBumblebee wrote:You know, I am just sick to death of the constant mis-use of words by the FTB A+ morons. WTF is wrong with them? Can we all chip in and get them a dictionary and thesaurus? I think they need them.
Fuck that, can we get them a grown-up first?

Because they need adult supervision FAR more than reference materials.
Agreed!

Darren

Post by Darren »

WoolyBumblebee wrote:Agreed!
Holy crap, is that bumblebee supposed to be "wooly" or some kind of cyborg? :D

acathode

Post by acathode »

AndrewV69 wrote:The Atheist Indian on the recent rape incident in India which made the news world wide.

Arundhati Roy and Her Comment on the Indian Rape Culture
http://www.theatheistindian.com/india/a ... pe-culture

No quotes because I suggest you read the whole thing.
Interesting. I think the news here actually did a short mention on Arundhati Roy's POV during the reports I read/heard here, but that article was a lot more fleshed out. I'll def. have to try to find some more information on Roy after I get some sleep.

The whole middle class thing really doesn't surprise me though, it seems to be very common to me that media views and public opinion on various issues are very dominated by the middle class, or even the upper parts of the middle class.

I first noticed it when I realized that there were very few differences between the neo-nazi thugs and the militant anarchistic leftists, after both having spoken to several from both sides and having read descriptions on how and why they became extremists.

The main difference was that the leftists, anarchist, militant animal rights, etc seemed to come from mainly middle class homes, whole the nazis, white supremacists, etc mainly came from the poor, working class. Outside of that, their history, their actions, and their thoughts were almost identical as far as I could see. They were basically two gangs of football hooligans that would fight each other in the streets, because the other side was "wrong" and "we" needed to save the world/country/society.

Yet somehow, the media treated the militant leftists with silk gloves, while the neo-nazis is the worst scum imaginable. Somehow, it was almost sociably acceptable to be fighting in the streets, if you were a anti-democratic anarchist, but if you were a anti-democratic racist you were a threat to society.

(and no, before anyone get any funny ideas, I have very little sympathies for racists, nor was I ever part of any of the extremist sides. I just visited places where both sides were free to speak their minds, and learned that there wasn't much difference between them. Something that really surprised me due to the way media portrayed things)

I might be slightly "paranoid" about the whole thing, but I really imagine that I'm seeing the same sort of "classism" being repeated over and over, everywhere. From how acceptable it's become in Sweden to call poor people "white trash", to how feminism focuses so much on issues that primarily concern (white) upper middle-class ladies, to, as the article touches on, how issues that the poorer people face often is often completely ignored, until the moment when the same issues might befall the middle class.

(sorry for the long rambling post, as usual, but it's late, erm, early here, and I cba to try to shorten it)

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

Somedumbguy:
This isn't PC language. PC would be denying it even exists. "We can't mention it". This is stupid language that is counterproductive. There are far better ways to describe "mangina" behavior. Self-loathing, ignorant, White Knight, lapdog, lickspittle, toady, groupie, brown-noser, sexist, condescending and patriarchal.
That's the problem with words like mangina. They usually start out well-defined and seem very clever, but people get lazy and start applying them inappropriately because it's much easier than using precise language. People also tend to associate jargon like that with ideologues and extremists. It can come across as cliquey vocabulary.

Al Stefanelli

Post by Al Stefanelli »

Lost Moose

Post by Lost Moose »

Haha,

The whole gravity lamp fraud started by PZ being led astray again by Rebecca
RW-PZ-Lamp.JPG
(38.36 KiB) Downloaded 173 times

Al Stefanelli

Post by Al Stefanelli »

Yeah, and he came back for more, and rather bizarrely, too.

I swear, these people are imploding. It's like watching a psychotic horse run into a burning barn...

Post by Guest »

welch wrote:sigh.

Comrade Duchioproff has just "discovered" something cool for iOS 6, namely using Exchange ActiveSync for Gmail accounts...

1) This dates back to whenever Google implemented Exchange ActiveSync. At LEAST iOS 4, maybe earlier.
2) he has not the SLIGHTEST clue how EAS works, and so is complaining about something that is actually how the shit works.

But, he's a PROFESSOR, so he can't possibly be wrong.
also...

http://www.theverge.com/2012/12/14/3767 ... lendar-and

franc

Post by franc »

Lost Moose wrote:Haha,

The attachment RW-PZ-Lamp.JPG is no longer available
"Math isn't my strongpoint". No shit. What is your strongpoint Becky? Other than getting tanked, playing video games and posting twitter snark. That's a serious question.

And what the fuck is this?
Attachments
shunward.png
(20.83 KiB) Downloaded 134 times

ikonografer

Post by ikonografer »

thought you guys might like to see me rant against jenny mccreight's racist blog post: [youtube]HhQA9mLkGmI[/youtube]

JackRayner

Post by JackRayner »

decius wrote:
JackRayner wrote:
[Fine. I'll play your pissing game, since you want to keep beating on this. Maybe the less perceptive will see this as a self-defeating exercise, but I see no conflict between being an "MRA" who wants law applied justly and a person who accepts natural facts.]

Really? You quote one of the shakiest aphorisms ever, and if someone challenges it that's a pissing game (here of all places)? It could also be that I honestly find it dumb beyond description, couldn't it?
Yes. I put up some quote that I claim led me to look her up, and you come in with "This other lady makes Jack the Ripper's kill count look like child's play. Paglia has no idea what she's talking about!" Um...'kay? http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x17/ ... /shrug.gif It's perfectly fine if you find it dumb. My uncultured self got what she meant in a snap. It got the point across just fine. You have some issues with it. It happens.

Evidence would point to the contrary. There's quite a difference between male an female, and this includes serial killers.
I never said or implied that there isn't any difference between men and women.
But it's misleading and plain false to equate a music genius to an unprolific third-rate serial killer, whose claim to fame was largely the product of pop press hype, in order to drive in the severely biased point that males are higher achievers, which is really what the aphorism implies.

You can find countless SK in history, of either sex, whose body count and meticulousness are far superior. That's all I was trying to say.
I said the way I took it is that the quote was about the extreme obsessions observed in men. The "extreme" wasn't in the numbers killed, but how more men end up on the extreme ends of pathological behavior. [I think that's the term I'm looking for.] You said it had nothing to do with being male or female. Obviously, based on what I had in mind,[Like your quoted article's claim that 85% of serial killers are males] I was going to take issue with that statement. If you took "extreme" for kill count, then I guess we can chalk this up to a miscommunication someplace. :whistle:

Bolded: And that's why I called it a pissing contest. A statement gets a point across using a popular example and you jump in to tell me about the about flaws that, personally, I find irrelevant because they transmitted the message just fine. It would be like someone mentioning the lyrics to some song that includes the term "Glock 40", and me interjecting to tell them that there is no Glock 40. They would just look at me like I'm retarded. The artist's use of "Glock 40" doesn't change the meaning that they took away from it, however fast it maybe have caused me to stop listening.

Like I said from the start, I really didn't care to have the discussion taken in your direction, [I don't know or care all that much about serial killers, the statement it made about sex differences was about all I was interested in] but here we are anyhow. Talking about who's the more extreme serial killer when the point was about which sex is most likely to fall on an extremity like that of a serial killer....[or a genius.]
Particularly in both the ways that they kill, and in the number of men who are serial killers in comparison to the number women. Your example is what is called an exception to the rule. [And hopefuly I don't need to spell out what that means] That is, if we grant the unproven number that was attributed to her and her four conspirators. According to your link, one witness claimed over 650 were victims, but the five of them were only tried for 80 victims. [I'm not even close to being familiar with the subject...but don't most SK work alone?] There are plenty of serial killers, some even women, with confirmed victim counts well above Bathory & Co.'s tried-for 80, but you're free to believe that their combined count was closer to the alleged 650 than to the tried-for 80. I find much entertainment value in legends as well, but I don't usually bring them up when the conversation concerns reality...
She isn't much of an exception if you just stop looking at her as a woman first and a sexual predator second.
It's also very stupid to look at Mozart as a man first and as composer as an afterthought. In fact, I find it almost irrelevant.
Don't get me wrong, I agree about the more general statistical differences, but they don't rescue Paglia's aphorism in the slightest.
:think: Why do I get the feeling that this is another one of those failure to communicate moments...
More generally, there's still a lot to be understood. This article raises some important points.
Female Serial Killers
Silent But Deadly
Published on May 29, 2012 by Joni E. Johnston, Psy.D.
Until Aileeen Wuornos came along, the term "female serial killer" was generally believed to be an oxymoron, in spite of the fact that some of our fairer citizens have consistently shown us that, when it comes to murder, a woman can compete with any man. Of course, part of this lack of awareness was caused by earlier definitions of serial murder which commonly assumed the perpetrator would be a man; as late as 1998, Roy Hazelwood of the FBI was quoted at a conferences as saying "there are no female serial killers." Even when the lethality of a femme fatale is recognized, she is most often portrayed as a victim manipulated by an evil male.

It's true that there are far less female serial murderers than there are males (although percentage-wise, there are more female serial murderers (15 percent in comparison to 85 percent males) than there are one-time killers (90 percent men; 10 percent women). It's also true that you aren't as likely to see a woman torturing her victim or having sex with a dead corpse, the kinds of gory details that make headlines and sell movies. In fact, sex and pleasure are likely to be much farther down on the motivation list for female serial killers than men; we females tend to take a more pragmatic approach to killing people off. Female serial killers kill for profit and power.

Most female serial killers work alone. And, they're good at it. In fact, if you accept the now-common definition of a serial murderer as someone who kills three or more persons, with time elapsing between homicidal events, females outperform their male counterparts. A 2011 study found that these lethal ladies operate under the radar; they are less likely to have a criminal history, tend to kill those closest to them (emotionally and physically) and use quieter methods of elimination (poison, drugs, smothering). As a result, their killing careers last much longer than men (between eight and 11 years, in comparison to two years for male serial murderers), with an average of nine victims.
To your other points, very briefly.

Her co-conspirators were servants who followed her orders.

The exact toll is largely irrelevant. However, like it is done today, she was tried for the crimes for which there was indisputable evidence available (i.e. the remains found inside the castle). Consider that she was a powerful aristocrat, who back then were notoriously difficult to be put on trial, so they went for the most airtight case they could make. Personally, I think 650 may well be an exaggeration, but there's further strong evidence that 80 isn't even close to the actual figures.
Moreover, this is well documented history by renaissance standards and it has nothing to do with legends.
Elizabeth beats Jack and I'm ignorant when it comes to individual serial killers, I repent, I repent! http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x17/ ... w_down.gif

AchronTimeless

Post by AchronTimeless »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote: Hey everyone, Franc is really a sockpuppet
How come I never get accused of being a sockpuppet? I feel left out.. and if my ex girlfriend happened to leak that "home movie" on the internet, there's even video evidence out there.

WoolyBumblebee

Post by WoolyBumblebee »

somedumbguy wrote:
JackRayner wrote:

Meh.

I have told you of my ongoing journey from father's rights to possibly men's rights.

Though I think the cries we hear today of misogyny are vastly overblown, (and though you can read my contributions here and get a good idea of how I feel and how I reason) nevertheless, that doesn't mean misogyny doesn't exist. Just as I think misandry certainly exists. The rapes in India that have made the news recently, especially where the victim of rape is raped again by a policeman and again by her supervisor, amongst the class reasons, I think misogyny is another fitting reason.

And along that way, whether misogyny in the US exists to the extent the feminists say it does or not, yes, I do take issue with associating what I consider to be the worst behavior of a person with a vagina. Hey, dude, I love vaginas. And I like my dick. And I would be offended, and am offended when feminists say, "You're a rapist", "Stop letting your dick think for you", or when they laugh at crimes of male genital mutilation.

Using words like mangina, regardless of how valid *you* may think it is, will always be a losing strategy towards gaining supporters or fighting off claims we are misogynistic.

You want to stop VAWA? Lobbying in public against the "manginas" that support VAWA ain't going to get you very far. Using the word in private will work up until you are infiltrated, and then you're going to look like a misogynist dumbass.

No one's saying the concept doesn't exist. We're saying there are better ways to describe it, that are more clear and more descriptive, that remove any association with misogyny, promote outreach, and encourage supporters.

Really? The word mangina is an issue now? :doh: I think there are much better things to spend time and energy on than the use of the word mangina. Good grief!

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Seriously, concerned about the homogenuity of the atheist community, wishes more for black people to join up; in conjunction, wants more scepticism applied to drug laws and incarceration rates! :lol:

Pffttthahahahahahaha!

[youtube]NIgfiSzCy1o[/youtube]

WoolyBumblebee

Post by WoolyBumblebee »

Darren wrote:
WoolyBumblebee wrote:Agreed!
Holy crap, is that bumblebee supposed to be "wooly" or some kind of cyborg? :D
my bee has gone badass! ;)

somedumbguy

Post by somedumbguy »

franc wrote:
Lost Moose wrote:Haha,

RW-PZ-Lamp.JPG
"Math isn't my strongpoint". No shit. What is your strongpoint Becky? Other than getting tanked, playing video games and posting twitter snark. That's a serious question.

And what the fuck is this?
The math at the page she links to http://sustainabilityworkshop.autodesk. ... lculations is TRIVIAL. Slightly less trivial is the physics involved, ie, having had enough physics to understand what a watt, lumen or joule is. But the wiki should be able to help her on that.

It's shameful that her math and physics isn't even up to this level.

Since I don't want to be XKCDsexist, I'll just say wow, that bitch sucks at math.

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/how_it_works.png

Dan

Post by Dan »

Al Stefanelli wrote:
Yeah, and he came back for more, and rather bizarrely, too.

I swear, these people are imploding. It's like watching a psychotic horse run into a burning barn...

They're convinced that they are sceptics and everything they say is right automatically.

Al Stefanelli

Post by Al Stefanelli »

WoolyBumblebee wrote:

And thanks for the publicity. That video is nearing 12,100 views, with 550 comments. You guys rock.
Your vids are are great! I need to listen to your AVfM podcast.

franc

Post by franc »

AchronTimeless wrote:
How come I never get accused of being a sockpuppet? I feel left out.. and if my ex girlfriend happened to leak that "home movie" on the internet, there's even video evidence out there.
Sorry, I forgot to logout and back in.

WoolyBumblebee

Post by WoolyBumblebee »

Al Stefanelli wrote:
WoolyBumblebee wrote:

Your vids are are great! I need to listen to your AVfM podcast.
Aw, thanks. That means a lot coming from the great Al - pit recruiter ;)

AchronTimeless

Post by AchronTimeless »

JackRayner wrote: Elizabeth beats Jack and I'm ignorant when it comes to individual serial killers, I repent, I repent! http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x17/ ... w_down.gif
Liz and Jack went to the back,
to slay their clumsy waitress.
Liz lost her grip, her knife did slip,
how silly sometimes fate is.

Jack not impressed, I must confess,
tried fast to catch their prey.
Slips, soapy floor, into the door,
knocked out now both doth lay.

Lost Moose

Post by Lost Moose »

franc wrote:And what the fuck is this?
Not a clue. I only follow a few Twits through Googles RSS Reader.

comslave

Post by comslave »

WoolyBumblebee wrote:My hubby lays into Jennifur
It's been well known for a long time that A+ people see all people only by their demographic and not as individuals. They're more racist than the Klan and more sexist than my local country club.

WoolyBumblebee

Post by WoolyBumblebee »

comslave wrote:
It's been well known for a long time that A+ people see all people only by their demographic and not as individuals. They're more racist than the Klan and more sexist than my local country club.
Ramen to that!

JackRayner

Post by JackRayner »

somedumbguy wrote:
JackRayner wrote:

Meh.
I didn't say you did. I said I don't care about someone thinking "MISOGYNISTS!!!!1" because of the use of "mangina".

Though I think the cries we hear today of misogyny are vastly overblown, (and though you can read my contributions here and get a good idea of how I feel and how I reason) nevertheless, that doesn't mean misogyny doesn't exist.
Never said it didn't.
Just as I think misandry certainly exists. The rapes in India that have made the news recently, especially where the victim of rape is raped again by a policeman and again by her supervisor, amongst the class reasons, I think misogyny is another fitting reason.
Don't know anything about it.
Equivocation. It happens. Here's my weak attempt at trying to give you some positive guidance: "Mangina", when used to insult men, is a word in the same vein as "pussy" or "bitch". If you want to assert that a term used to insult a man is the same as insulting all women, or the same as saying that body part is bad or gross or whatever, then go right ahead. Just know I won't take you seriously, and might even consider you a cunt.

You want to stop VAWA? Lobbying in public against the "manginas" that support VAWA ain't going to get you very far.
You're...totally trolling me right now, aren't you? You do understand how insults work....right?
Using the word in private will work up until you are infiltrated, and then you're going to look like a misogynist dumbass.
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x17/ ... y/Durp.gif
Yo! You got a problem with brown nosing? My girl loves when I brown nose her. Why you gotta be all sex negative and shit?! And why are you hatin' on the ignorant? Everyone can't know everything! And I'll have you know that a lapdog's loyalty should be, like, a totally treasured thing, man! And what's wrong with toads?! They are an important part of the ecosystem! That's totally, like, speciesism! You're contributing to the extinction of animals!....

The above is an exaggeration, of course, but I seriously know people that take issue with words like "stupid" and "lame". Context and subjectivity. Context and fucking subjectivity, man.
No one's saying the concept doesn't exist.
Never claimed anyone said any such thing.
We're saying there are better ways to describe it, that are more clear and more descriptive, that remove any association with misogyny, promote outreach, and encourage supporters.
I reject your premise.
I don't take marching orders from AVfM.

Mr Danksworth

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Look out Al. Someone is going to have a talk with you. Zir will be cheekily wearing an A+ scurvyramic.

JackRayner

Post by JackRayner »

WoolyBumblebee wrote: Really? The word mangina is an issue now? :doh: I think there are much better things to spend time and energy on than the use of the word mangina. Good grief!
If I were to take the argument seriously, I would interject to state that mangina, in what I understand is the original usage, [anyone else, feel free to give me a history lesson if I'm wrong] is more of a homophobic/transphobic term. :dance:

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

That's a very racist-looking hat, I would say...

WoolyBumblebee

Post by WoolyBumblebee »

The latest post from dear old Ed...

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa3 ... 995585.png

Am I the only one seeing the blatant irony here? :lol:

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

No.

WoolyBumblebee

Post by WoolyBumblebee »

JackRayner wrote:
WoolyBumblebee wrote: Really? The word mangina is an issue now? :doh: I think there are much better things to spend time and energy on than the use of the word mangina. Good grief!
If I were to take the argument seriously, I would interject to state that mangina, in what I understand is the original usage, [anyone else, feel free to give me a history lesson if I'm wrong] is more of a homophobic/transphobic term. :dance:
In the MRM a mangina is:

noun

A male feminist, or a male supporter of feminists

"Sometimes referred to as pro-feminist, sell-out or traitor, this pathetic excuse would rather ruin his fellow man's lives with falsehoods and misinformation." DumpYourWifeNow.com

"A male lackey of the feminist hate movement (Usually called a 'male feminist'), who views women as superior to men and always bows down to and agrees with women in an attempt to curry favour, especially his..." UrbanDictionary.com

"Any feminist-leaning thing I've written is predictably met with some men labelling me a "mangina," which one commenter helpfully defined as a man with an "extreme need to seek approval from females to the point of eradicating his own self and becoming a servant eunuch." TheGlobeAndMail.com

Darren

Post by Darren »

AchronTimeless wrote:
Sigh... someone didn't get the memo. We are all socks of Franc around here.

In fact, every single comment you have seen anywhere on the internet since elevatorgate is franc. He gets around.

somedumbguy

Post by somedumbguy »

I think it arose tonight because I was mentioning my road and my difficulty along the journey from disgruntled divorced stolen kid father to fathers rights to mens rights.

And as part of that, yes, words like mangina are an issue.

Call me a weakling, or self-loathing or whatever, but no I don't associate with MRA groups on facebook, twitter, google+ or with friends, because MRA groups have often shown they are full of stupid, hateful statements. And people.

I stayed in the father's rights camp because Glenn Sacks would have none of that. He outlawed at his blog the use of feminazi. I am pretty sure he outlawed the use of mangina. And sadly, I think he was making real progress in getting fathers rights noticed until whatever caused his retirement/disappearance a year ago.

As I've said there are far more descriptive words to use than mangina, and no one I know, will think favorably on anyone or group that uses that word, and it's not a battle I am willing to fight for because I agree that there are many reasons to consider that word pretty fundamentally misogynistic. And just plain idiotic to use if you're trying to win hearts and minds especially with people that have already been taught to distrust you.

I believe that is somewhat the feeling of Paul Elam and John The Other these days as well.

It's not a question of political correctness. It's a question of using any of the many other words that describe the concept as well. Hugo Schwyzer? He's an ignorant white knight. PZ Myers? He's a self-loathing male-bashing feminist-licking overbearing penny ante tin plated pizza eating wine swilling professor with delusions of grandeur and cat lady groupies. Tom Matlack? He's a feminist lapdog trying to keep Ms. Magazine funding. Other people are poodles, pets, lickspittles, bootlicker, sycophant, ass kisser, brown noser, feminist submissive toys all in dread of having their sexism found out by the manhating women studies set. And their wives.

Anyway, it's counterproductive.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

WoolyBumblebee wrote:
JackRayner wrote:
In the MRM a mangina is:

noun

"Sometimes referred to as pro-feminist, sell-out or traitor, this pathetic excuse would rather ruin his fellow man's lives with falsehoods and misinformation." DumpYourWifeNow.com

"A male lackey of the feminist hate movement (Usually called a 'male feminist'), who views women as superior to men and always bows down to and agrees with women in an attempt to curry favour, especially his..." UrbanDictionary.com

"Any feminist-leaning thing I've written is predictably met with some men labelling me a "mangina," which one commenter helpfully defined as a man with an "extreme need to seek approval from females to the point of eradicating his own self and becoming a servant eunuch." TheGlobeAndMail.com
I didn't follow that "mangina" discussion, but what you quoted sounds as stupid as "gender traitor", "chill girl" or "sister punisher".

No offense intended.

Much...

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

comslave wrote:
Yes.

Very yes.
Pitchguest wrote:Seriously, concerned about the homogenuity of the atheist community, wishes more for black people to join up; in conjunction, wants more scepticism applied to drug laws and incarceration rates! :lol:
Bitch be trippin'.

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
WoolyBumblebee wrote:
In the MRM a mangina is:

noun

I didn't follow that "mangina" discussion, but what you quoted sounds as stupid as "gender traitor", "chill girl" or "sister punisher".

No offense intended.

Much...
Is it? The last quote is quite reasonable. There clearly are males who lack an independent sense of identity and purpose. A "mangina" would seem to be a distinct variety of that. As for the etymology of the word mangina, you can consider the male body as little more than the external mobile appendage of a females reproductive system.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

I'd just like to point out to our guests that the Slymepit appears to now be criticising/discussing the MRA.

In the interests of equal opportunity. :)

codelette

Post by codelette »

ikonografer wrote:thought you guys might like to see me rant against jenny mccreight's racist blog post: [youtube]HhQA9mLkGmI[/youtube]
Watch the whole thing. Pretty much my opinion regarding that matter, my friend. ;)

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=73&hilit=minoritie ... 050#p38038

codelette

Post by codelette »

Correction: watchED

AchronTimeless

Post by AchronTimeless »

DownThunder wrote:As for the etymology of the word mangina, you can consider the male body as little more than the external mobile appendage of a females reproductive system.
Yay, time for this video again:
[youtube]Z-BbpaNXbxg[/youtube]

JackRayner

Post by JackRayner »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
WoolyBumblebee wrote:
In the MRM a mangina is:

noun

No offense intended.

Much...
Maybe it is. Maybe it all depends on your view point. The fact is that it's just some insult. For me, it's not so much of a "YOU WILL NOT TAKE THIS WORD FROM US" type of thing as it is an "oh, fuck off with your whining" type of thing. It really isn't the moral issue somedumbguy is making it out to be.

[Reminds me of brain box/box brain's big moral issue with trolling...]

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

JackRayner wrote:
I don't take marching orders from AVfM.
While we are here, my take is that MRA is an umbrella term. It may have started out as a natural outgrowth of the groups formed by divorced dads seeking access to their children (or it may not have), but it is quite clear to me that there is not much that is uniform in any term you may choose to examine.

The movement comprising MRAs right now resembles a herd of cats to me. Want to try herding? Good luck with that.

somedumbguy

Post by somedumbguy »

rayshul wrote:I'd just like to point out to our guests that the Slymepit appears to now be criticising/discussing the MRA.

And no one has been accused of derailing, or gaslighting or whataboutthewomenzing, or trolling, or threatened with bans, or disemvoweled, or had the comments altered, or been banned, or accused of being a non-franc sockpuppet, or a chill guy....

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Ok, fair enough. I had never heard of "mangina" (or MRA/MRM for that matter) before the Egate shitstorm. I'm trying very hard to find some French equivalent, but I think it's a lost errand.

I think the word itself is funny, no more, no less. The concept behind it, though, as described by Wooly's quotes, is to me very similar to what the PitGirls are accused of.
defined as a man with an "extreme need to seek approval from females to the point of eradicating his own self and becoming a servant eunuch."
Sorry, but that sounds way too familiar to me now.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

JackRayner wrote:
Do not ask me. The first time I heard the term was in the UK many years ago. At the time the term meant to me some kind of "girly-man". Like Setar or Lousy Thibadoobedoo or the Ian "virgin" Brown. Has a cock but no balls etc. etc. etc. including not being too bright like PeeZuss Christ.

But here are some other views:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=mangina

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

codelette wrote:Watch the whole thing. Pretty much my opinion regarding that matter, my friend. ;)

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=73&hilit=minoritie ... 050#p38038
I don't know, codelette... I once went on a school excursion to the historical Melbourne jail in Australia, and I had a wee puff of pot while on a tour of Europe (it made me cough!). So I feel like, yanno, she's really on to something.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

rayshul wrote:I'd just like to point out to our guests that the Slymepit appears to now be criticising/discussing the MRA.

My fave joke about MRAs is that many of us are one blowjob away from ditching the whole thing.

(note to the femstazi... do your part now)

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

Since its a slang term, I can only explain myself rather than relying on someone else's definiton.

Consider a male pharyngulite or better still an A plusser. Since they seem to invest a fair amount of effort into blending in with the group, imagine the impact on them if they were to find themselves shunned, then imagine the way they will contort their behaviour to avoid such a thing.

Generally its well documented how people shape their behaviours in different groups. Im not going to say the slymepit is some miraculous exception, but since its rather relaxed, its worlds away from ftb or A+

I haven't witnessed any chill-women-traitors (can we get a damned abbreviated version of all the terms?) having to alter their behaviour. Things were a little different back in the old days with justicar blu and porno et al throwing some spice into the mix, but thats always the case when things get heated. Things dont really get heated anymore.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I think the word itself is funny, no more, no less. The concept behind it, though, as described by Wooly's quotes, is to me very similar to what the PitGirls are accused of.
defined as a man with an "extreme need to seek approval from females to the point of eradicating his own self and becoming a servant eunuch."
Sorry, but that sounds way too familiar to me now.
I'd agree with Phil - it seems to be the same idea. I'd be interested if that truly was what was behind these guys and their adoption of feminism. I'm not sure it's what is behind PZ's feminist mania, and I don't honestly feel that many of the FtB men are doing it to seek approval from women. It seems more that they've bought into an ideology and the women themselves don't actually matter at all.

That said... part of the reason (perhaps the main reason, apart from the whole infantilisation of women schtick) is that I'm for the freedom of language. There's words and phrases I fucking hate (people of colour and mansplaining, for example) but I respect people's right to say 'em. I'm fine with chill girls and gender traitors - they're fucking stupid words said by fucking stupid people, but hey, free speech!, and I've got the right to call them cunts back. :) I don't think banning words is a great idea - people always find new words to describe things. If you kill mangina you'll just get something else that's less offensive but carries the same thought behind it... People are going to find bad words to describe their enemies and obstacles.