Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
Mykeru

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by Mykeru »

franc wrote:
Mykeru wrote:As a well-meaning white person I did thoroughly enjoy Ikonographer's video. His forays into referencing things like logic and reason were adorable and reminiscent of wholesome entertainment like Max Link, Secret Chimp where they dressed monkeys up in suits and had them act like people.
That's Lance Link. I have the box set.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lance_Link

No, they did not factor in pot-head appeal when they made that. Nosireebob.
It's even more surreal in Portuguese:

[youtube]bRJFs48T3Vw[/youtube]

Ikonographer can enjoy this, can't he? I mean all those vowel-endy languages like Spanish, Portugeuse and Italian are the same, right?

AchronTimeless

Post by AchronTimeless »

*facepalm*

shine with surprising intensity

Ugh yeah, long night, time for sleep if I'm leaving entire words out.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

I'm just going to leave this here:

[youtube]Lsndj_ewxvI[/youtube]

When we start The Slyme Pit podcast (which is, of course, inevitable) we should totally rip-this off as the intro music.

sacha

Post by sacha »

MarcusMorley wrote:Presumably, now that Ed Brayton has generalised the Slymepit to mean anyone anti-FtB, anti-Ophelia, etc., then people like NonStampCollector—FtB's new, eager pup—will quit whining on Al Stefanelli's YouTube channel about generalising FtB as a groupthink-propagating cult.

I was anti-FtB, Skepchick, A+, etc., and not a Slymepit member; however, since I'm being tarred with that brush regardless, I figured I may as well register.

Hello.
anyone anti-FtB = slymepitter is the delusion they need to perpetuate. They need to believe the only people against them are slymepitters because of the delusion that the pit is comprised of less than a handful of people (the rest are sockpuppets). Such a small number of people cannot possibly be a threat to their "empire". Delusions of grandeur are what fuels them.

Thanks to 2cow, all of those people who are anti-Baboon, but were not willing to be associated with, or connected to the pit, suddenly have no reason to distance themselves. As soon as I read that statement from Brayton, I knew that we would see a significant increase in the amount of first time commenters, and a significant increase in the amount of registered members.

Brayton shattered the narrow lens they were using, and what appeared to be no more than five people is proven to be distorted perspective now that the the panorama is visible.

yes, welcome to the pit.

jjbinx007

Post by jjbinx007 »

justinvacula wrote:@simonknowz has created a timeline:

http://newsecular.wordpress.com/
I notice in the timeline there's an article in Bitch Magazine.

So we have Bitch magazine, Godless Bitches podcasts but somehow the word "bitch" is evil and should not be used under any circumstances?

sacha

Post by sacha »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Eucliwood wrote:Um, if you mean the MGTOW forums, they aren't any better. They're just the inverse...and more vocal about it. No small dose of that could do any good. Really, I was brought to tears reading it. Those *are* misogynists, I swear. They directly call women pieces of shit scum. They also want a "Final Project" to rid the earth of its need for women for reproduction - artificial fetus shit or something. It's really scary.
I have repeatedly tried to make the point that the gender feminists have had a role in shaping the misogynists via the misandry inculcated in the women in authority over them.

Every year there is a fresh crop graduating from the various educational institutions. This is going to get real ugly people. My estimate is another 40 years.
less

Spence

Post by Spence »

I see the thread that keeps giving on A+theism is continuing, with realisation dawning on a number of people there the flaws in the premise of A+. Now Xanthe quits (my emphasis):
Xanthe on A+ wrote:Seeing as there's an inordinate rush to blame inattention or inabilities of a volunteer staff to protect everyone here as part of their duty of care, and reinterpreting that as intentional, vindictive maliciousness accompanied by second-guessing every decision that you people don't like, I'm not really seeing the point of remaining a moderator here. It's an obvious lose-lose situation and as part of my duty of care to myself I'm not willing to be a target for abuse either, even in the devolved sense of being one member of that staff. I've been willing to step in to deal with problems and do what I can, and have been open with the other moderators about my own strengths and my limitations. It seems nothing and nobody will please everyone here, which is behind the demand that every moderator be able to deal with every potential problem that arises.
Well, no shit. Who would have guessed that a forum that tries not to offend anyone, and allows everyone to define what personally offends them, would collapse in a bitchfest because everybody has inadvertantly offended everybody else? Why was it blindingly obvious to everyone at the slymepit that this was inevitable, but none of the SJW could see it?

This one amused me as well:
Amadan on A+ wrote:So what is the way forward? The mods cannot simultaneously please and earn the trust of every single person in the forum. I've seen mutually conflicting desires for a safe space. If forgiveness is off the table, then I guess the forum is going to keep imploding. I am sure all the A+ haters are loving it.
Amadan, I don't hate A+ and I doubt most people here do, and I am not "loving" watching you fail. But because I'm a rational skeptic, I could see the inevitability of your failure. Pointing that out, and even mocking it, has nothing to do with "love" or "hate", but simple reasoning and criticism. And I don't think any amount of (((hugs))) is gonna fix that.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

mutleyeng wrote:
acathode wrote:
somedumbguy wrote:http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... er-of-math

An interesting demonstration of what happens when you take a Professor of Biology, allow him to blow smoke up his own ass that he is a skeptic, or knows any physics, or understands the current state of technology outside his laboratory.

What happens?

Well he screws the pooch of course and gets everything wrong.
Ehm... WTF? Myers is actually accusing (by very strongly implying) the people behind gravity-light of being scammers, based on that he took a look at the math and though "Numbers doesn't make sense! IT'S A SCAM!".
{snip}
I thought much the same as you ... I'm a little surprised it didnt get a little more 'pit reaction than it did, but I guess one gets used to the madness and it just washes over you after a while
Hahahahaha. That idiot Nerd of Redhead has his head so deep up PZ’s arse that it can only be removed by surgery. He claims that PZ wrote a deliberately nonsensical post to generate an argument. Hahahahaha. And he then doubles down on the stupidity by calling someone who questioned PZ’s engineering insights a misogynist, of all things. Bwahahahaha. Nerd, you’re always good for a laugh. Thanks.

People do make mistake.
Or PZ will on occasion put up a post just to generate an argument against the post. In this case, a text-book example of the horde showing that the idea isn’t so far fetched, and supplying actual evidence (note OC, you never did provide evidence, ergo you’re still a fuckwitted misogynist idjit) to show concept has minimal validity.
The rest of the thread also has some typical Pharyngula histrionics. A few commenters get into a fight with a newbee over misspelling their ‘nyms. PZ’s clone Chris Clarke then steps in, pointing out that the newbee being dogpiled on is in fact someone he knows and appreciates. Suddenly they all make up, shake hands and all is well. It is really like observing the monkey island in your local zoo.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-522481

jjbinx007

Post by jjbinx007 »

Natalie Reed ‏@nataliereed84
I like my men like I like my coffee.... ground up and kept in the fridge.

Ryan Grant Long ‏@Eshto
@nataliereed84 Joking about sexism and murder is only wrong when people outside the FTB/Skepchick/atheismplus crowd do it.

Anna ‏@annathebot
.@Eshto @nataliereed84 shut up male nobody gives a shit

Natalie Reed ‏@nataliereed84
@annathebot @Eshto That's Ryan Long, just block him and move on with your life.

mikelf

Post by mikelf »

jjbinx007

Post by jjbinx007 »

Is anyone else experiencing FTB sometimes sending the mobile version of the site to their browser instead of the desktop one? It's happening to me randomly in Chrome and Firefox.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Jan Steen wrote:
Hahahahaha. That idiot Nerd of Redhead has his head so deep up PZ’s arse that it can only be removed by surgery. He claims that PZ wrote a deliberately nonsensical post to generate an argument. Hahahahaha. And he then doubles down on the stupidity by calling someone who questioned PZ’s engineering insights a misogynist, of all things. Bwahahahaha. Nerd, you’re always good for a laugh. Thanks.

People do make mistake.
Or PZ will on occasion put up a post just to generate an argument against the post. In this case, a text-book example of the horde showing that the idea isn’t so far fetched, and supplying actual evidence (note OC, you never did provide evidence, ergo you’re still a fuckwitted misogynist idjit) to show concept has minimal validity.
The rest of the thread also has some typical Pharyngula histrionics. A few commenters get into a fight with a newbee over misspelling their ‘nyms. PZ’s clone Chris Clarke then steps in, pointing out that the newbee being dogpiled on is in fact someone he knows and appreciates. Suddenly they all make up, shake hands and all is well. It is really like observing the monkey island in your local zoo.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-522481
I was just going to post that idiotic Nerd of Redhead quote.
So now, at least, we know what 'misogynist' means: anyone who questions the words of the lord god Peezus.

codelette

Post by codelette »

rayshul wrote:
codelette wrote:Watch the whole thing. Pretty much my opinion regarding that matter, my friend. ;)

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=73&hilit=minoritie ... 050#p38038
I don't know, codelette... I once went on a school excursion to the historical Melbourne jail in Australia, and I had a wee puff of pot while on a tour of Europe (it made me cough!). So I feel like, yanno, she's really on to something.
Say that you don't believe in gods so I can scream "Trifecta!" and send your info to McBoobs. :lol:

sacha

Post by sacha »

Eucliwood wrote:Oh what's your ethnicity?
people of transparency

codelette

Post by codelette »

Eucliwood wrote:"I can read BITCH. I went to college BITCH. You don't like me using the word BITCH? Fuck YOU, BITCH. I fuckin hate me some racist bullshit. I'm a peaceful man but I'mma tell you I hate me some racists. They're the lowest of the low. The lowest fuckin' despicable - people like you and fuckin PZ Myers and fuckin -oh-.. you people are god damn disgusting. (some spanish stuff that I cannot translate) You make a nigga wanna swear in 50 different languages. Take your fucking low expectationass fuckin' home, bitch. Get the fuck out of the atheism business. Go into the feminism business. Try and sell your snake oil to them. (...) Bitch, I felt welcome before. You know where I didn't feel welcome? AtheismPlus forums. Why? Cuz any idea that ain't on the book, that's grounds to get kicked out."

LAST PART IS SO SPICY!!!
Spanish swearing part:
Hijalagramputa, malparida, cabrona

Rough translation: son of a bitch/whore, ill-birthed, cuckold. :lol:

ikonographer: Are you Rican or Dominican?

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
I was just going to post that idiotic Nerd of Redhead quote.
So now, at least, we know what 'misogynist' means: anyone who questions the words of the lord god Peezus.
Yup, that's the level of discourse now.

"Erm, PZ, I think your calculations are a bit off."
"Shut up, misogynist scumbag!"

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

sacha wrote:anyone anti-FtB = slymepitter is the delusion they need to perpetuate. They need to believe the only people against them are slymepitters because of the delusion that the pit is comprised of less than a handful of people (the rest are sockpuppets). Such a small number of people cannot possibly be a threat to their "empire". Delusions of grandeur are what fuels them.

Thanks to 2cow, all of those people who are anti-Baboon, but were not willing to be associated with, or connected to the pit, suddenly have no reason to distance themselves. As soon as I read that statement from Brayton, I knew that we would see a significant increase in the amount of first time commenters, and a significant increase in the amount of registered members.

Brayton shattered the narrow lens they were using, and what appeared to be no more than five people is proven to be distorted perspective now that the the panorama is visible.

yes, welcome to the pit.
It seems like getting his sternum cracked gave Ed a case of the YOLOs. Trouble is, most places have a designated adult in the home office; sites like fark and somethingawful, where the proprietors are as derpy as their communities, are unusual. If Ed gets name recognition as a player in nickel and dime dramas, he might find his One Life includes ramen dinners and arrears on the mortgage. It'd be a shame (*snerk*) if ads for Zicam and Miracle Spring Water became too good for FTB to pass up.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Mykeru wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:Mykeru, can you PLEASE not put aphids on my Hoya vines again this spring? I know it's you, you know, and not those ants who farm them.
Will do. However, to balance out the ledger, I will be sending some Africanized Bees. Don't spray them. Racist.
Aaarrrghh, Mykeruuuuuuuuuuuuu!

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

jjbinx007 wrote:A few points...

1) I thought Fat Eddie was recovering from heart surgery or something?
They keep using that word, 'heart'.

They only cathetized his heart to make sure there were no blockages. There were none. His heart was fine, a little thickening of the walls was all.

However, he did have open CHEST surgery. That's bad, but not nearly as bad as open HEART surgery.

They drained some liquid that had built up in his chest area (the cause of his chest pain) and they looked at some of his lymph nodes.

So, to sum up, everyone is calling it open heart surgery, and Ed is not correcting them, since open heart surgery gets a LOT more 'poor me' cred than 'your heart's fine but you need open chest surgery just to drain liquid buildup' does.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Barael wrote:
Za-zen wrote:From my seat witch of the year was thunderfoot. They gave him a tent in their backyard, he shit on the lawn, told them they were talking bollocks, when most bloggers were trying to placate them. Then roundly buttfucked the silverback when he ventured out of his compound, so much so that he's locked himself in and refuses to acknowledge that anyone outside of his compound are the "atheist movement".
Thunderfoor publishing the going-ons of the mailing list was a pretty shitty thing to do, though. I'm not saying it's Gren bin Laden-level shit but it's not far, and seeing all that crap unfold made me wince a number of times. Definitely no high road taken, there.
He did that to expose two things. One was that a friend of his was being plotted against, and two, they admitted there that they weren't going to pay TF any remaining $ from his posts, blatantly stealing from him just because they didn't like him anymore. Those two things totally justified revealing the proof of it, in my view.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Miss O Gynist wrote:I see PZ is caught objectifying women like a misogynistic dirty bird.When questioned about it, he replied... "Idiot, it doesn't count when you're in another country, speak their language, or have Letters with no vowels representing your name. Example.. P.Z, PSI, P.U, and F.U.P.Z.
http://www.jibjab.com/view/DydDy-4YSUW4 ... pid=jj_url :naughty:
Hahahahahahahahahhhhaahahahahahhahaahhahahah !!!!!!!!!!

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

I stole Xmas too? Is there no end to my depravity?

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8217/8322 ... 8ae3_o.jpg

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

I always thought a mangina was a slang term for a gay man's bottom. Anyways...

It seems our old friend Tis Himself has re-emerged:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/kagin/2012/ ... mment-1470
You, madam, win one internets.
Cliches - the Diet Coke of plagiarism, eh Tis. ;)

Spence

Post by Spence »

PeeZus continues his deranged fuckwittery:
PeeZus wrote:You guys are mangling people’s names as a stupid joke? Stop that. That’s a slymepit move.
So, by PeeZus' own moral standards:

1. Falsely accusing someone of fraud because of your own incompetence - fine and dandy
2. Mangling someone's name as a stupid joke - mortal sin

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I like the idea of "slymepit moves" though. Has a good ring to it. Making PeeZus look like the idiot he is on a daily basis? That's a slymepit move.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

This is a response, by FeministWhore, to the pretense of sex-positivity that the FTBers play at:

http://feministwhore.wordpress.com/2012 ... g-defense/

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Spence wrote: Amadan, I don't hate A+ and I doubt most people here do, and I am not "loving" watching you fail.
I am. I think it's fuckin hilarious. When A+ finally shits itself out of its own arse, I wanna know what Simpleflower's gonna do. I'm betting that s/h/it will be in such dire need of hugs, s/h/it'll create a slanket out of someone's skin.

EdgePenguin

Post by EdgePenguin »

Spence wrote:On the topic of lamps for Africa, I see other skeptics were alerted to it and discussing it at the same time as Becky:
how_many_skeptics.jpg
To be fair, most note that they are questioning the numbers, and use words that recognise they might be wrong (even including Becky) unlike PeeWee who leaps in with both feet claiming fraud. The other irony is that the maths is just fine. What they get wrong is the utility of the light, which they assess through their first world, privileged viewpoint of the light they expect to have in their own home.

Which brings me on to the obvious question: how many skeptics does it take to change a light?
This is simply perfect. FtB failing at skepticism, because they have have lumen privilege!

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Lost Moose wrote:Haha,

The whole gravity lamp fraud started by PZ being led astray again by Rebecca
RW-PZ-Lamp.JPG
This is back of the envelope of course but going with a quick COTS LED.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo ... /256/1183/

That's roughly the 0.1 watt right there (30ma * 3.5V) = 0.105 watts or 105mW and more typically 20ma * 3.4V or 68mW and it is rated for a max 120mW.
It's 18000mcd at that 20mA 30 degree viewing angle or a paltry 0.385 Lumens. (See http://led.linear1.org/lumen.wiz. So my guess is http://sustainabilityworkshop.autodesk. ... lculations were basing their calculations on the 2008 idea not the modern idea. In fact, the photo used here is from the 2008 concept not the modern 2012 version. Think of a keychain light brightness with a single LED not the 10 LED 40w equivalent brightness monster from 2008.
So J = W / s s = J/W 120/1200 = .1 W (60 * 20 = 1200)

The fact that LED keychain flashlights are so prevalent shows the feasibility of a gravity lamp, if only powering one super bright LED.

EucliwoodH

Post by EucliwoodH »

Spence wrote:PeeZus continues his deranged fuckwittery:
PeeZus wrote:You guys are mangling people’s names as a stupid joke? Stop that. That’s a slymepit move.
So, by PeeZus' own moral standards:

1. Falsely accusing someone of fraud because of your own incompetence - fine and dandy
2. Mangling someone's name as a stupid joke - mortal sin

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I like the idea of "slymepit moves" though. Has a good ring to it. Making PeeZus look like the idiot he is on a daily basis? That's a slymepit move.

Oh yeah, I love how he just tells people to "stop" because it's a "slymepit move" when he catches them. Um no, if FtBers over there do it, clearly it's not just a slymepit move. And they most certainly do.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Dilurk wrote: That's roughly the 0.1 watt right there (30ma * 3.5V) = 0.105 watts or 105mW and more typically 20ma * 3.4V or 68mW and it is rated for a max 120mW.
It's 18000mcd at that 20mA 30 degree viewing angle or a paltry 0.385 Lumens. (See http://led.linear1.org/lumen.wiz. So my guess is http://sustainabilityworkshop.autodesk. ... lculations were basing their calculations on the 2008 idea not the modern idea. In fact, the photo used here is from the 2008 concept not the modern 2012 version. Think of a keychain light brightness with a single LED not the 10 LED 40w equivalent brightness monster from 2008.
http://www.heyreverb.com/files/2010/05/insane2.jpg

AnonymousCowherd

Post by AnonymousCowherd »

Yentl ! There you are. Still no luck with the peyos, I see.

Post by Guest »

John Greg wrote:No.
no is an acceptable answer

Spence

Post by Spence »

Tigzy wrote:
Spence wrote: Amadan, I don't hate A+ and I doubt most people here do, and I am not "loving" watching you fail.
I am. I think it's fuckin hilarious. When A+ finally shits itself out of its own arse, I wanna know what Simpleflower's gonna do. I'm betting that s/h/it will be in such dire need of hugs, s/h/it'll create a slanket out of someone's skin.
:lol:

Yeah, good point, perhaps I am loving it just a tiny bit :dance:

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Mykeru

Dayton Allen

Post by Mykeru »

I was looking up some information on Lance Link and noticed that one of the voices was done by Dayton Allen, best known for doing the voice for Deputy Dawg cartoons.

Dayton Allen was a regular on the Steve Allen show. I would have had no idea who he was, except my dad owned one of his albums, "Why Not" and it warped my mind at an early age. The guy was just freaking surreal.

"Why Not?" was Allen's catch-phrase, and since people began to wait for him to stick it in there, he often started with it because, well, why the fuck not?

I still have the album:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8216/8322 ... 2e3e2c.jpg

If you have a half hour and can tolerate wildly uneven nonsense, let Dayton Allen lead you along on several monologues that go absolutely nowhere, on purpose:

[youtube]pG-fGZEsqvk[/youtube]

franc

Post by franc »

Just clicked a link to A+, pretty sure guest is me -
Attachments
aplus.png
(2.76 KiB) Downloaded 192 times

jjbinx007

Post by jjbinx007 »

Oh what a difference a few years makes:

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2006 ... -comments/

"I’m not at all keen on this. It makes the comments a very hostile place to new people (I like seeing new people here, don’t you?) and if it keeps up all we’re going to have left are the twitchiest, most psychopathic contributors. To encourage a little more restraint, I’m going to ask everyone to voluntarily impose a 3 comment rule on themselves. What that means is that if someone comes along and says something, no matter how outrageous, engage them in polite conversation first, give them a chance to clarify and expand on the idea, and then if it’s still utterly insane, you can cut loose."

WoolyBumblebee

Post by WoolyBumblebee »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
WoolyBumblebee wrote:
JackRayner wrote:
WoolyBumblebee wrote: Really? The word mangina is an issue now? :doh: I think there are much better things to spend time and energy on than the use of the word mangina. Good grief!
If I were to take the argument seriously, I would interject to state that mangina, in what I understand is the original usage, [anyone else, feel free to give me a history lesson if I'm wrong] is more of a homophobic/transphobic term. :dance:
In the MRM a mangina is:

noun

A male feminist, or a male supporter of feminists

"Sometimes referred to as pro-feminist, sell-out or traitor, this pathetic excuse would rather ruin his fellow man's lives with falsehoods and misinformation." DumpYourWifeNow.com

"A male lackey of the feminist hate movement (Usually called a 'male feminist'), who views women as superior to men and always bows down to and agrees with women in an attempt to curry favour, especially his..." UrbanDictionary.com

"Any feminist-leaning thing I've written is predictably met with some men labelling me a "mangina," which one commenter helpfully defined as a man with an "extreme need to seek approval from females to the point of eradicating his own self and becoming a servant eunuch." TheGlobeAndMail.com
I didn't follow that "mangina" discussion, but what you quoted sounds as stupid as "gender traitor", "chill girl" or "sister punisher".

No offense intended.

Much...
I don't personally care who uses what word(s) as long as shit gets done. And this year the MRM has achieved a lot, so if some of them want to use the word, so be it. I was just pointing out how some use the word. Personally I don't use it, but I don't judge those who do.

Eucliwood

Post by Eucliwood »

jjbinx007 wrote:Oh what a difference a few years makes:

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2006 ... -comments/

"I’m not at all keen on this. It makes the comments a very hostile place to new people (I like seeing new people here, don’t you?) and if it keeps up all we’re going to have left are the twitchiest, most psychopathic contributors. To encourage a little more restraint, I’m going to ask everyone to voluntarily impose a 3 comment rule on themselves. What that means is that if someone comes along and says something, no matter how outrageous, engage them in polite conversation first, give them a chance to clarify and expand on the idea, and then if it’s still utterly insane, you can cut loose."
Riiiight...

Al Stefanelli

Post by Al Stefanelli »

Mr Danksworth wrote:Look out Al. Someone is going to have a talk with you. Zir will be cheekily wearing an A+ scurvyramic.
That could be any one of many people in the Atlanta area. I am browsing the forum on my phone, so I am not up to trying to find out who that is. I am very recognizable, and lots of people in town know me for various reasons. I am always open to conversation with my local freethinker friends.

decius

Post by decius »

JackRayner wrote:
I said the way I took it is that the quote was about the extreme obsessions observed in men. The "extreme" wasn't in the numbers killed, but how more men end up on the extreme ends of pathological behavior.
Jack, I would genuinely like to understand what she's saying as well as you do. So, thanks for all your efforts to clarify it for me.
With this goal in mind, I will grant you these premises 100%.

More men end up on the extreme ends of pathological behaviour and can be extremely obsessive.

Therefore there is no female Mozart, says Paglia.

Does that mean that Mozart could not have been a woman or that Mozart's genius is the result of male extreme obsessive behaviour (or both)?

You see, I've never come across such pronouncements before. I like Mozart and I would genuinely like to learn more about Mozart.

Thanks in advance.

WoolyBumblebee

Post by WoolyBumblebee »

somedumbguy wrote:
rayshul wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I think the word itself is funny, no more, no less. The concept behind it, though, as described by Wooly's quotes, is to me very similar to what the PitGirls are accused of.
defined as a man with an "extreme need to seek approval from females to the point of eradicating his own self and becoming a servant eunuch."
Sorry, but that sounds way too familiar to me now.
I'd agree with Phil - it seems to be the same idea. I'd be interested if that truly was what was behind these guys and their adoption of feminism. I'm not sure it's what is behind PZ's feminist mania, and I don't honestly feel that many of the FtB men are doing it to seek approval from women. It seems more that they've bought into an ideology and the women themselves don't actually matter at all.

That said... part of the reason (perhaps the main reason, apart from the whole infantilisation of women schtick) is that I'm for the freedom of language. There's words and phrases I fucking hate (people of colour and mansplaining, for example) but I respect people's right to say 'em. I'm fine with chill girls and gender traitors - they're fucking stupid words said by fucking stupid people, but hey, free speech!, and I've got the right to call them cunts back. :) I don't think banning words is a great idea - people always find new words to describe things. If you kill mangina you'll just get something else that's less offensive but carries the same thought behind it... People are going to find bad words to describe their enemies and obstacles.
It's not a question of banning words, it is a question of stupid words said by stupid people.

So if you use mangina, or group x uses mangina, I will suspect they are stupid ignorant hyper partisan haters just as I think feminists that throw around mansplaining, patriarchy, rape apologist, etc. etc.

I think there are plenty of other ways to describe those behaviors that are less offputting to people I think can be persuaded to support me, that mark us an intelligent and not dimwits.
So, you don't want to ban a word, but everyone who uses that certain word is a dimwit? :doh:

codelette

Post by codelette »

Mykeru wrote:
WoolyBumblebee wrote:My hubby lays into Jennifur

[youtube]HhQA9mLkGmI[/youtube]
I must say that I too am distrustful of white people who seem to go out of their way to prove how not racist they are as they invariably turn out to be far more racist, soft or otherwise, than they present.

I myself don't particularly go out of my way to present my non-racist credentials. For example, I realize I am not racist because I would have no problem allowing your husband to detail my car. That afterwards I would check to make sure the loose change in my console was still there and my hubcaps were all in place is not racist, it's merely being prudent.

As a well-meaning white person I did thoroughly enjoy Ikonographer's video. His forays into referencing things like logic and reason were adorable and reminiscent of wholesome entertainment like Max Link, Secret Chimp where they dressed monkeys up in suits and had them act like people.

My one constructive criticism is that Ikonographer often launched into some sort of savage babble using made-up words like "puta". I think he would be much better served sticking to actual languages like English and thereby make whatever point he was trying to make to get a pat on the head far more accessible to well-meaning white folks.
How did I miss this? :lol:

decius

Post by decius »

franc wrote:
This is where I disagree with many folks, like Astro, even James. I do not think feminism is the primary rot here. It is merely the way the rot expresses itself. You will find many parallels in behaviour with Louis Farrakhan and nation of islam; islamists that are duping well meaning humanists and hijacking liberal the debate in Europe; the various international socialist worker factions, etc. etc. The real problem is just losers with an axe to grind - and playing victim is the best way to grind it. They are all the same - they just find different ways to go about it.
I couldn't agree more, Franc. Besides, we've seen this happening in the movement before, fortunately on a smaller scale and by groups which didn't gain much traction, such as "climate skeptics" and libertarians. The formers were ridiculed and driven out, the latter gracefully took a good step back after some rational introspection.

Eucliwood

Post by Eucliwood »

The fenetic you heard, "puta", is an actual word in a different language

ikonografer

Post by ikonografer »

Mykeru wrote:
WoolyBumblebee wrote:My hubby lays into Jennifur

[youtube]HhQA9mLkGmI[/youtube]
I must say that I too am distrustful of white people who seem to go out of their way to prove how not racist they are as they invariably turn out to be far more racist, soft or otherwise, than they present.

I myself don't particularly go out of my way to present my non-racist credentials. For example, I realize I am not racist because I would have no problem allowing your husband to detail my car. That afterwards I would check to make sure the loose change in my console was still there and my hubcaps were all in place is not racist, it's merely being prudent.

As a well-meaning white person I did thoroughly enjoy Ikonographer's video. His forays into referencing things like logic and reason were adorable and reminiscent of wholesome entertainment like Max Link, Secret Chimp where they dressed monkeys up in suits and had them act like people.

My one constructive criticism is that Ikonographer often launched into some sort of savage babble using made-up words like "puta". I think he would be much better served sticking to actual languages like English and thereby make whatever point he was trying to make to get a pat on the head far more accessible to well-meaning white folks.

i agree prudence is key. but after detailing, i'd check the wives, daughters, and small animals first. sometimes us coloreds don't steal shit. sometimes we hide shit inside special places. we get the benefit of not being caught stealing, while still driving our owners crazy. sometimes we do take whatever's in the couch though. that's just fair game. and btw: 'puta' is not a made up word. OK, it is.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

That should be a good one for Decius and Jack:

http://listverse.com/2012/12/29/10-amer ... l-killers/

Al Stefanelli

Post by Al Stefanelli »

Mr Danksworth wrote:Look out Al. Someone is going to have a talk with you. Zir will be cheekily wearing an A+ scurvyramic.
OK, that's Laura Ross. She's a local graphic designer and a member of the Atlanta Freethought Society. Yes, I know who she is. She runs the Flyswatter podcast and writes some for the Atlanta Freethought Society's newsletter. I've given a few lectures in their Freethought Hall and from what I remember, she's a decent gal. I've not seen her in about a year, though.

When I was the Georgia State Director of American Atheists, I joined about a dozen local Freethought groups and visited them in my travels. The President of the AFS is a friend of mine, and I just saw him at a Winter Solstice Party. He doesn't seem to give a fuck about the goings on withing social networking.

Whatever, if I see her in town, I'll be glad to chat with her and explain the truth about things...

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

rayshul wrote:
JackRayner wrote:
DownThunder wrote:Soon breakfast cereal will be misogyny.
I'll go back to eating cereal when that happens. :D
Well now we bring it up... how come Cap'n Crunch is a man? Is it because women can't be Captains? IS THAT IT, PATRIARCHY!?!?!?!??!
Capn Crunch. Tony the Tiger. Toucan Sam. Trix Rabbit. Lucky the Leprechaun. Sonny the Cocoa Puffs bird. Count Chocula. Frankenberry. Snap, Crackle, and Pop. Dig’Em the Frog. Buzz...

Breakfast cereal is a guy thing!!!

Al Stefanelli

Post by Al Stefanelli »

ERV wrote:
rayshul wrote:
JackRayner wrote:
Well now we bring it up... how come Cap'n Crunch is a man? Is it because women can't be Captains? IS THAT IT, PATRIARCHY!?!?!?!??!
Capn Crunch. Tony the Tiger. Toucan Sam. Trix Rabbit. Lucky the Leprechaun. Sonny the Cocoa Puffs bird. Count Chocula. Frankenberry. Snap, Crackle, and Pop. Dig’Em the Frog. Buzz...

Does this count?

http://wcoa.info/bwb.jpg

welch

Post by welch »

sacha wrote:
welch wrote:
d4m10n wrote:
sacha wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote: You won't make the list either. Damion only wants real sounding names on the list.
I know that's what he says, but everyone knows my real name is sacha
(and most know my last name - shhhh - silence! - one must not speak it, for it is evil incarnate, and vocalisation of its name, could unlock the gate)
I only want actual names on the list, but cannot bring myself to delete Franc Hoggle.
Do I have to actually take a picture of myself eating a female baby here?

My feeling, you has hurted it.
hahaha!

"I only want actual names on the list"

I think Damon is trying to tell us something.
I think so. I do believe we have been shunned.

Tkmlac

Post by Tkmlac »

Karmakin wrote:Yeah my beef with some of the various MRA movements as well is that they are really born out of Gender Feminism concepts, and as such tend to be flawed as well. That said, I do think that as a whole MRA-ism (weird word but whatever) is getting better, while Feminism is getting worse, unfortunately. But this is my memory of things going a way back, and things have changed a lot over the last year or two.

Predictions for the next year: It's the same prediction I make everywhere. There's going to be a bit of a spotlight...not a hugely bright one but it'll get people's attention...on these issues, and it's not going to be pretty. I think people are going to get increasingly fed up with the antics of all the various Social Justice Warrior groups (A+ is one of them, even if many of them don't even realize it), and there's going to be a bit of a shock as they realize that it's not just a small bunch of miscontented trolls, but it's that people who think that their brand of "social justice" is fail.

I personally don't like feminism because it blames the entire other gender for all its ills and refuses to admit that the same ills of a patriarchal society also negatively affect that other gender, but I look at MRA sites and they do the very same thing, refusing to acknowledge women's struggles and putting all the blame on the other gender. It's like looking at a mirror.

welch

Post by welch »

Scented Nectar wrote:
Barael wrote:
Za-zen wrote:From my seat witch of the year was thunderfoot. They gave him a tent in their backyard, he shit on the lawn, told them they were talking bollocks, when most bloggers were trying to placate them. Then roundly buttfucked the silverback when he ventured out of his compound, so much so that he's locked himself in and refuses to acknowledge that anyone outside of his compound are the "atheist movement".
Thunderfoor publishing the going-ons of the mailing list was a pretty shitty thing to do, though. I'm not saying it's Gren bin Laden-level shit but it's not far, and seeing all that crap unfold made me wince a number of times. Definitely no high road taken, there.
He did that to expose two things. One was that a friend of his was being plotted against, and two, they admitted there that they weren't going to pay TF any remaining $ from his posts, blatantly stealing from him just because they didn't like him anymore. Those two things totally justified revealing the proof of it, in my view.
wait, where did this happen?

welch

Post by welch »

Dilurk wrote:
Lost Moose wrote:Haha,

The whole gravity lamp fraud started by PZ being led astray again by Rebecca
RW-PZ-Lamp.JPG
This is back of the envelope of course but going with a quick COTS LED.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo ... /256/1183/

That's roughly the 0.1 watt right there (30ma * 3.5V) = 0.105 watts or 105mW and more typically 20ma * 3.4V or 68mW and it is rated for a max 120mW.

The fact that LED keychain flashlights are so prevalent shows the feasibility of a gravity lamp, if only powering one super bright LED.
well, it doesn't take long to see that PeeZus et al were defining "usable light" as the wonderland of electric sex we inhabit, and not what people living by kerosene and candle actually use.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Jan Steen wrote: Hahahahaha. That idiot Nerd of Redhead has his head so deep up PZ’s arse that it can only be removed by surgery. He claims that PZ wrote a deliberately nonsensical post to generate an argument. Hahahahaha. And he then doubles down on the stupidity by calling someone who questioned PZ’s engineering insights a misogynist, of all things. Bwahahahaha. Nerd, you’re always good for a laugh. Thanks.
I think that Nerd of Redhead has made it to PZ's transverse colon by now. Bet he won't stop until he gets stuck at the ileocecal junction.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Al Stefanelli wrote:
ERV wrote:
rayshul wrote:
JackRayner wrote:

Does this count?

http://wcoa.info/bwb.jpg
ARGH! No fucking Barbies!!!!!

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Lucky the Leprechaun = racist!!1!!

Sonny the Cocoa Puffs cuckoo = ableist!!11!!

Snap, Crackle, Pop = sizeist!11!!

Count Chocula = racist!!1!!

Frankenberry = reanimationist!!!11!!

Etc.

acathode

Post by acathode »

welch wrote:wait, where did this happen?
https://thunderf00tdotorg.wordpress.com ... less-crap/

Apparently, on their secret backchannel one month after TF being kicked out (which TF had snuck back into at the time), someone said:
Plus, TF had more hits than ten of our bloggers today. Please tell me he is not getting paid for them. And that we are divvying up his spoils.
To this Ed responded:
I haven’t even given any thought to the point at which I would stop paying him. The blog was killed on July 1. I could call that the end or pay him for hits in July, which were not unsubstantial. Or at this point I could just tell him to go fuck himself

Tkmlac

Post by Tkmlac »

somedumbguy wrote:
WoolyBumblebee wrote: Really? The word mangina is an issue now? :doh: I think there are much better things to spend time and energy on than the use of the word mangina. Good grief!
I think it arose tonight because I was mentioning my road and my difficulty along the journey from disgruntled divorced stolen kid father to fathers rights to mens rights.

And as part of that, yes, words like mangina are an issue.

Call me a weakling, or self-loathing or whatever, but no I don't associate with MRA groups on facebook, twitter, google+ or with friends, because MRA groups have often shown they are full of stupid, hateful statements. And people.

I stayed in the father's rights camp because Glenn Sacks would have none of that. He outlawed at his blog the use of feminazi. I am pretty sure he outlawed the use of mangina. And sadly, I think he was making real progress in getting fathers rights noticed until whatever caused his retirement/disappearance a year ago.

As I've said there are far more descriptive words to use than mangina, and no one I know, will think favorably on anyone or group that uses that word, and it's not a battle I am willing to fight for because I agree that there are many reasons to consider that word pretty fundamentally misogynistic. And just plain idiotic to use if you're trying to win hearts and minds especially with people that have already been taught to distrust you.

I believe that is somewhat the feeling of Paul Elam and John The Other these days as well.

It's not a question of political correctness. It's a question of using any of the many other words that describe the concept as well. Hugo Schwyzer? He's an ignorant white knight. PZ Myers? He's a self-loathing male-bashing feminist-licking overbearing penny ante tin plated pizza eating wine swilling professor with delusions of grandeur and cat lady groupies. Tom Matlack? He's a feminist lapdog trying to keep Ms. Magazine funding. Other people are poodles, pets, lickspittles, bootlicker, sycophant, ass kisser, brown noser, feminist submissive toys all in dread of having their sexism found out by the manhating women studies set. And their wives.

Anyway, it's counterproductive.
Equal opportunity insulting. I approve. I don't understand why attacking a man's "manliness" should be an insult any more than why I understand why I should be called a traitor or chill girl. It's the same thin in the other direction, in my opinion. I'll just call myself a humanist, or, like I read earlier, egalitarian. I liked that.