Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
sacha

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by sacha »

JAB wrote:
EveryMan wrote:
sacha wrote: Holy fuck, you have Nectar and I DEFENDING women with your idiocy! "A lifetime of dealing with women"?? Clearly not women with a brain.
"Men like taking things apart" "Women like experiencing/knowing" FUCK! If you had just clearly stated MANY men like to do that, MANY women like that. YOU ARE A BLOODY IMBECILE.

You should just go back to making "dumb blond sacha" jokes, stick with the easy stuff, cowboy.

I can't be bothered to respond to the rest of your comment...
I have no idea what you are talking about.

Are you aware that women are considered more "emotionally intelligent" than men? Did you miss that part of my post?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dan-golem ... 11591.html

I was under the impression that this was common knowledge.

My observation was that poorly-educated women might have a hard time differentiating their feelings from reality; hence the behavior of the skepchicks. Are you denying this?

Also, you need to hit "Preview" and check your post for errors first.
I guess if you're linking to huffpo we know why you like alt med. Was that you earlier who also linked to the daily fail ? You may need to improve your reading list.
HAHA, and if one reads the article, it doesn't even back his "women are more emotionally intelligent" claim!

EveryMan

Post by EveryMan »

sacha wrote:
HAHA, and if one reads the article, it doesn't even back his "women are more emotionally intelligent" claim!
I personally consider "empathy" and "emotional intelligence" as synonymous.
Actually, that depends on what you mean by "emotional intelligence." If you equate the term with empathy alone, then women have a decided advantage. But the details are more interesting -- and important in their implications for grooming outstanding leaders -- than that simplistic equation reveals.
If you broaden that to include self-confidence, its a bit of a closer race as men tend to outperform in that regard.

This is for franc:

http://www.familyfriendjokes.com/wp-con ... gif?c812f0

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

What??? What th - what the fuck is this??? (a response to the Time magazine mockup): http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... ent-249576
EllenBeth Wachs says:
August 10, 2012 at 6:41 pm

Are you kidding me? I have never felt so sad and demoralized in my life. This hurtful mock-up is simply one of the more glaring symptons of a known but previously ignored cancer spreading through the movement. It has tainted so many and become malignant in many, many more. There are those that are incurable. We know who some of these are. It is simply time to say goodbye to them. I have been the victim of someone’s constant harassment mockery. I would never have thing to do with a person that would have the ability to do this to another person. Shame on him!! Shame!!
I mean, just what the fuck are these people, exactly?

Satire = 'harassment mockery' now?

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

windy wrote:
Badger3k wrote: She;s not agreeing with it? You could be right. I just tried to read her post on that (holy cow, way too long) and couldn't figure out where she stood on that point. I reread that paragraph several times and still can't make heads or tails on it.
It seems pretty clear that she lists comments from current and former FtB:ers that she considers insensitive against trans people (like the one from Laden, John Loftus calling her a "diversity hire", Daniel Fincke on the word 'stupid' being as bad as 'tranny') Then she says, this makes her understand the perspective of people who consider atheism to be associated with racism. Bit of a logical leap there, but otherwise understandable.
As for her own sexist remarks...meh. She even admitted that perhaps her initial feelings on the whole thing were the result of her own wishful thinking, and I think she came into the whole "movement" thing with some strange ideas, but then I consider the whole "Movement" issue to be nonsensical anyway.

I wasn't criticizing sexism, but the recent trend to dismiss "scientific, objective issues" as secondary to "social justice". That's dumb and short-sighted whether there is one Movement or several.
Thanks for the first - trying to read her bit was an effort, and I did skim a bunch, mainly because I still don't know who she is or really care about her at all.

As for the second, I wasn't saying you called it sexist, that was my own color commentary on it. I agree that trying to remove scientific/rational reasoning within any context ("social justice" in the limited sense they mean, or any other) is idiotic.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote:Everyman wrote:
sacha wrote:

John, he thinks integrated "medicine" is legitimate, don't waste your breath.

So does UCSF, which is one of the top-ranked medical research institutions in the world.
UCSF may be highly regarded but that doesn't mean the Osher Center is. Just goes to show that $37 million bucks is more important to UCSF admin than their integrity. You can bet your life their alumni are spewing.
I know people like Steve Novella (Science Based Medicine) and Orac (also there, as well as Respectful Insolence) have blogged about this. There is a big effort getting CAM crap into medical schools, and I've heard that nursing has been infiltrated as well, with "therapeutic touch" being part of the curriculum. We as a nation have been inundated with this pseudoscience, and thanks to some morons in Congress, it's made the progress it has. Pretty sad.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

sacha wrote: HAHA, and if one reads the article, it doesn't even back his "women are more emotionally intelligent" claim!
OK before this gets out of hand, everyone knows Simon Baron-Cohen right?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/200 ... tion/print
Are there essential differences between the male and female brain? My theory is that the female brain is predominantly hard-wired for empathy, and that the male brain is predominantly hard-wired for understanding and building systems. I call it the empathising-systemising (E-S) theory.
A key feature of this theory is that your sex cannot tell you which type of brain you have. Not all men have the male brain, and not all women have the female brain. The central claim of this new theory is only that on average, more males than females have a brain of type S, and more females than males have a brain of type E.
*shrug* The above seems like a fairly good "fit" with my experience anyway.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Tigzy wrote::lol: some levity at last! Ophelia's just posted a bit of Slymepit artwork: http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... ies-is-it/

Is there a link for the Santa Ophelia pic too? :lol:
So, is EllenBeth Wachs a poe or not?
Are you kidding me? I have never felt so sad and demoralized in my life. This hurtful mock-up is simply one of the more glaring symptons of a known but previously ignored cancer spreading through the movement. It has tainted so many and become malignant in many, many more. There are those that are incurable. We know who some of these are. It is simply time to say goodbye to them. I have been the victim of someone’s constant harassment mockery. I would never have thing to do with a person that would have the ability to do this to another person. Shame on him!! Shame!!
Either that's some sarcasm, or else a very pathetic human being. :think:

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

JAB wrote:
Tigzy wrote:Holy shit, Jason Thibizebedee is a slimy little turd! I've just been looking at the blogpost where he revealed the email & IP addys of those commentators he had in moderation - http://freethoughtblogs.com/lousycanuck ... ion-queue/ - and I saw this (emphasis mine):
I will, however, answer one question by Phil: yes, I published email and IP info. On the right, in the Contact Me form, “I reserve the right to publish any contact, especially if it’s hateful or ridiculous”. The “email will not be published” on the comment field is telling you that it will not be added to your comment on the post itself, not that it will never be published under any circumstances.
God, I hope he was bullied when he was a kid.
And now you know why I will never post on fftbs.

Re: TF's tweet about conspiracy to defraud... my guess is that there was a discussion in the back channel about how they could cook the books so that TF wouldn't get the full value from the ads that were on TF's ftb posts. Ed had already told him that the funds take while to come in and he'd get them eventually. When I heard that I still thought Ed was a decent enough guy, but from his comments revealed now we see him for the vindictive asshole he is/has become.
He was completely willing to Run Paula Kirby out for the "feminazi" bit without knowing anything about her, so, yeah, he's a bit of a judgmental prick.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Patrick wrote:
Tigzy wrote:Holy shit, Jason Thibizebedee is a slimy little turd! I've just been looking at the blogpost where he revealed the email & IP addys of those commentators he had in moderation - http://freethoughtblogs.com/lousycanuck ... ion-queue/ - and I saw this (emphasis mine):
I will, however, answer one question by Phil: yes, I published email and IP info. On the right, in the Contact Me form, “I reserve the right to publish any contact, especially if it’s hateful or ridiculous”. The “email will not be published” on the comment field is telling you that it will not be added to your comment on the post itself, not that it will never be published under any circumstances.
The only place I've had a pseudonym outed online has been the intelligent design creationism site Uncommon Descent. It's nice to know that FTB shares the same values.
So, you're the same Patrick at AtBC? I wondered about that (assuming I'm correct, that is).

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Ellen is real. She got quite peeved during my podcast discussion (women in the secular community @ nepafreethought.org/podcast). She was one of the first callers who attempted to defend Ophelia concerning her non-threat emails. She then took it to Twitter, FB, and I eventually blocked her on FB. She's also been involved in legal issues in Florida as a sherriff has , as she said, given her a hard time. Go ahead and Google her.

Post by Guest »

EveryMan wrote: I'm willing to give Tf00t the benefit of the doubt for the moment. And for the record, this is a mailing list he used to have access too. Not someones personal and private correspondence.
The irony is that Rebecca was banned from JREF for taking advantage of a similar breech in security after a return from suspension.

As when Justin published Laden's letter-- I think it's valuable to do some whistle-blowing regarding the bullying/witch-hunt at FTB. It gives confirmation to what many have long suspected and it's worse and more blatant than I had realized. I also find it snigger-worthy that Brayton imagines himself among the most intelligent in the free-thought community. And his repeated calls for shunning and making people into pariahs make him seem like a power hungry mafioso.

They dish out criticism so lavishly and self-righteously and then throw tantrums and try to destroy careers when it comes back to them.

SkepticalCat

Post by SkepticalCat »

Tigzy wrote::lol: some levity at last! Ophelia's just posted a bit of Slymepit artwork: http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... ies-is-it/

HAHAHAHAHA!! :lol:

Ophelia, there are lots more funny graphics in the "Baboonapalooza" thread:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=10

Please feel free to use/post/distribute them widely. :lol:

windy

Post by windy »

CommanderTuvok wrote:From WWJTD
You can’t disagree with freethoughtblogs, because freethoughtblogs doesn’t have a position. It’s not an entity under a banner of agreement, it’s a group of people who write on the same network. Atheism aside, you’ll be hard-pressed to find a subject on which we all align.
They are just a group of people who happen to be on the same network and don't agree on much, but they share extremely sensitive personal information on the backchannel. Seems legit
I've seen this argument before, and it is one that many religions use (particulary Christians and Muslims) in an attempt to stave off criticism and ridicule. When people attack FreeThoughtBlogs (usually named here as FfTB, FC5, the Baboons, etc. to make the distinction clear) it is obvious to most observers that the attack is against the core bloggers of PZ, Greta, Ophelia, JT, Black Svan, and formerly Greg Laden.
You just haven't read enough sophisticated theologians FtBers.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

What gets me is the delusion that Brayton and Myers seem to think they have the power the "expel" people from the community!!!

I've always said that FfTB has eyes bigger than its belly. The majority of the a/s movement DOES NOT subscribe to the same POV as FfTB, and as a result, it is people like Myers and Queen Bee who are in danger of being "shunned" by the community. There were hints of this at TAM2012 - the a/s community is not impressed with Myers, Watson, Surly Amy, and co.

But, just as Opheliar Benson can't quite grasp the reason she is losing so may friends and former associates, the Baboons in general can't quite grasp just how out of step they are with the actual community. Perhaps they should splinter away, but they will never represent the actual a/s movements. They will never be looked up to as leaders, and will only be seen as troublemakers.

sacha

rape joke

Post by sacha »

now back to your regular programming...

tachikoma

Post by tachikoma »

Badger3k wrote:
ThreeFlangedJavis wrote:
Everyman wrote:So does UCSF, which is one of the top-ranked medical research institutions in the world.
UCSF may be highly regarded but that doesn't mean the Osher Center is. Just goes to show that $37 million bucks is more important to UCSF admin than their integrity. You can bet your life their alumni are spewing.
I know people like Steve Novella (Science Based Medicine) and Orac (also there, as well as Respectful Insolence) have blogged about this.
http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2011/ ... er-center/

tachikoma

Post by tachikoma »

About Tf00t:

On the one hand, two wrongs don't make a right. On the other...I regard this as bad form by Tf00t, about on par as, say, leaking friends-only Facebook conversations. (Also happened to Abbie, but that incident has no convenient wiki article to link to)

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

The Pelagic Argosy wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:29 pm
Jesus unicycling fuck, what a barstard. Can this people stoop any lower? The “email will not be published” on the comment field is telling you that it will not be published, you cunt.
Jason is apparently referring to two entirely different parts of the blog, his and all the other FT ones. There’s one for a direct e-mail to him and a different one to comment on the current topic. Different forms; different rules.
Contact Jason

I have opinions. So do you. You want to share them with me. I would like to do likewise. Please don't expect a platform for proselytizing that will go unchecked and unchallenged, though. ... I reserve the right to publish any contact, especially if it's hateful or ridiculous.
Name (required)

Mail (will not be published) (required)

Website

Post by Guest »

Thunderfoot tweets: "@pzmyers 'illegally HACKS' phone system!" Links this: http://skepchick.org/2008/03/audio-of-p ... onference/
which links this: http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2008 ... misbehave/

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

justinvacula wrote:Ellen is real. She got quite peeved during my podcast discussion (women in the secular community @ nepafreethought.org/podcast). She was one of the first callers who attempted to defend Ophelia concerning her non-threat emails. She then took it to Twitter, FB, and I eventually blocked her on FB. She's also been involved in legal issues in Florida as a sherriff has , as she said, given her a hard time. Go ahead and Google her.
Yeah - I did. I remember hearing about that stuff, vaguely. It's still weird, but from what I've seen of her, it makes me wonder if there is more to the story. She doesn't sound as bad as that crazy birther lady - Taitz - not by half, but....reading her gives me the same feeling that she doesn't have all her oars in the water.

sacha

Post by sacha »

tachikoma wrote:
Badger3k wrote:
ThreeFlangedJavis wrote:
Everyman wrote:So does UCSF, which is one of the top-ranked medical research institutions in the world.
I know people like Steve Novella (Science Based Medicine) and Orac (also there, as well as Respectful Insolence) have blogged about this.
http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2011/ ... er-center/
more: http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/ind ... ne-dupery/

http://www.skepdic.com/integratmed.html

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

JAB wrote:Re: TF's tweet about conspiracy to defraud... my guess is that there was a discussion in the back channel about how they could cook the books so that TF wouldn't get the full value from the ads that were on TF's ftb posts. Ed had already told him that the funds take while to come in and he'd get them eventually. When I heard that I still thought Ed was a decent enough guy, but from his comments revealed now we see him for the vindictive asshole he is/has become.
Im assuming its that, plus lots of other FTBers saying he shouldnt get paid at all (they split the pie, right? and Thunder got a big hunk of the pie in a short amount of time) with Brayton/Myers contemplating it.

*smart* move listening in. *bad* move to ever act openly on your secret. Never reveal your sources, especially if its you, for fucks sake.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Can't be bothered to look - can someone provide a link to the Sancta Ophelia posting?

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Does anyone remember, from one of the old ERV threads, good ol' PZ posting something about "having personal information" and threatening to release it? I'm sure Abbie does, since I think it referred to her.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Badger3k wrote:Does anyone remember, from one of the old ERV threads, good ol' PZ posting something about "having personal information" and threatening to release it? I'm sure Abbie does, since I think it referred to her.
I remember something like that but I don't think he was referring to Abbie, it was more along the lines that he had some information about nefarious activities of those who were opposing the skepchicks story (this was before FTB had been set up)
I get the feeling that he was warning any big name who might had a conference fling, that they should keep quiet or they would get outed. In other words it was an old fashioned threat of slut shaming.
He was immediately asked to name names ( remember his "always name names" thread?)
Naturally enough he cowardly refused and slunk off back to his horde.

astrokid.nj

Post by astrokid.nj »

Lsuoma wrote:Can't be bothered to look - can someone provide a link to the Sancta Ophelia posting?
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=73&start=1100#p2102

AndrewV69

I wish my mother had aborted me

Post by AndrewV69 »

I could not help thinking about the antics of people like Surly Amy and Sally Strange while I was reading this:
http://www.rolereboot.org/culture-and-p ... aborted-me
It is true that in the past 12 years, I have been able to rise above the circumstances of my birth and build a life that I truly love. But no one should have to make such a Herculean struggle for simple normalcy. Even given the happiness and success I now enjoy, if I could go back in time and make the choice for my mother, it would be abortion.

StueNever

Post by StueNever »

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but TF is friends with DPRjones, a lawyer and YouTuber, who TF has used probono in several past instances like in DMCA issues.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Hey, now you all have my mail and IP*! Well, you've probably had them for quite some time, since we discussed Jason's ass move all the way back at ERV. It does suck for those who wanted to stay anonymous, though, which is exactly what FTBers are complaining about WRT Thunderf00t. As far as I'm concerned, his move may have been ungraceful, but what I read from the mail exchanges he revealed is a lot worse.

I think it must have been quite a dilemna for him if he started seeing threats towards a friend's job. Tough decision. Although keeping the matter private may have been the best solution, instead of going all public about it. Well, his choice...

*Like a gazillion people I work with.

EveryMan

Post by EveryMan »

sacha wrote:
it's all about the money. Harvard is beginning to embrace CAM too.
This irritated me so much that I made it a point to go out and get EXTRA liquored up and pissed off tonight.

ERMAH FERGIN GERD

It's all about the money? Really?

Let me call up the CEO of Goldman-Sachs; given that I'm sure he hasn't figured that out yet. And all the CEO's of Big Pharma. And Mitt Romney. And all the Billionaires. And Millionaires. And Blonde Bartenders that stuff their Bewbs into push-up Bras EVERY SINGLE SHIFT for a decade to get just a lil' more tips. I guess they haven't figured that out either.

FUCK THAT, lets build a time machine and have Joseph Ducreux paint a self-portrait just so I can have an appropriate internet meme to reference:

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/new ... osephd.jpg

Or shit, lets just get down to brass tacks and point out we all know this already.

So, what's been going on for awhile is...

1. A customer driven market for high value, low cost health care.
2. A business driven market for high cost, low value health care.

The reason alt-med is so popular is simply because there is a market for it. People want simple solutions.

So there are all sorts of products on the market. A few of them work to some extent. Most don't.

Big Pharma doesn't like alt-med as its difficult to monetize, as simple products and plants can't be patented. So they go Big Oil/Big Tobacco and do the "Merchants of Doubt" thing. Which of course, the idiot sycophantic skeptics lap up and regurgitate like an army of retarded birds.

Fast forward a few years. The alt-med market is becoming too big to ignore.

So Big Healthcare decides to monetize it. With the caveat that its always complementary and never at the expense of established treatment. And if it gets a sick person into a managed healthcare environment I'm all for it. The placebo effect can be a potent marketing tool.

Big Pharma is even getting into the action and figuring out how to monetize/patent products/processes that were considered "alt-med" just a few years ago:

Now Roche is paving the way for a test for Vitamin D deficiency

Nestlé Buys U.S. Maker of 'Brain Health' Shake

Lovasa: FDA approved Big Pharma Fish Oil

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

When Natalie speaks of "confidential information", does she mean real names, emails and stuff, or just the body of the mails themeselves?

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Badger3k wrote:
Patrick wrote:
The only place I've had a pseudonym outed online has been the intelligent design creationism site Uncommon Descent. It's nice to know that FTB shares the same values.
So, you're the same Patrick at AtBC? I wondered about that (assuming I'm correct, that is).
I suspect he is, but I'm sure he won't say :D

EveryMan

Post by EveryMan »

ERV wrote: *smart* move listening in. *bad* move to ever act openly on your secret. Never reveal your sources, especially if its you, for fucks sake.
Bzzt. Tf00t never liked Meyers; that much is obvious from watching their interaction on YouTube. His plan from the beginning was to blow up FfTb. He just didn't have the exact methodology till he was inside it.

He wants the marching morons to hate him first, so when he exposes their mendacity it stings just that much more.

StueNever

Post by StueNever »

Badger3k wrote:Does anyone remember, from one of the old ERV threads, good ol' PZ posting something about "having personal information" and threatening to release it? I'm sure Abbie does, since I think it referred to her.
I remember it, but I don't think that it was real threat to out someone. It was of more a hypothetical argument that one should reveal all your personal experiences on a subject, so the audience can fully understand what you're talking about. In this case, it was about PZ wanting to know about Abbie's stalker history and how it influenced her feminism. It was never a threat IIRC. Wish it was still up for people to see that.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

StueNever wrote:
I remember it, but I don't think that it was real threat to out someone. It was of more a hypothetical argument that one should reveal all your personal experiences on a subject, so the audience can fully understand what you're talking about. In this case, it was about PZ wanting to know about Abbie's stalker history and how it influenced her feminism. It was never a threat IIRC. Wish it was still up for people to see that.
I remember the comment, and the way it read (at least for me and a few other posters, Abbie included) was on the line of mafia-style threat. "I have secret information about some people involved in this discussion, but I won't reveal them just now" (highly paraphrasing, my memory might be faulty).

Scented, if you still have the archive?

disumbrationist

Post by disumbrationist »

EveryMan wrote: Big Pharma is even getting into the action and figuring out how to monetize/patent products/processes that were considered "alt-med" just a few years ago:
Now Roche is paving the way for a test for Vitamin D deficiency
Nestlé Buys U.S. Maker of 'Brain Health' Shake
Lovasa: FDA approved Big Pharma Fish Oil
1. Vitamin D deficiency has been studied for years. Rickets is a problem in the developing world. This is mainstream medicine.
2. Nestle is Big Pharma? If so, where can I get a scrip for some Toll House cookies?
3. Fish oil is not 'alternative' any more than aspirin is. It has taken some time for its benefits to be accepted - because, outside of alternative medicine, you do need evidence.

Note too that supplements are not the kinds of things people who oppose alternative medicine generally care too much about, unless they're toxic and complicate normal treatment. The more troubling practices include things like homeopathy and vitamin megadoses, as well as anything that is supposed to replace a proven treatment for a serious illness (e.g. cancer quackery).

Though you do have a point, in a way: companies will, in the end, sell people anything they are foolish enough to buy. One can imagine that if using reiki or homeopathy, like other forms of irrational behavior, manages to gain a foothold in a large segment of the population, unscrupulous doctors will increase their support of it; however, this will be due to market forces, not intellectual ones. The 'appeal to marketability' is just the 'appeal to popularity' fallacy in another guise.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Sometimes, I so wish this thread would be only about FTB shenanigans. But we have to do with what we have. It's not like there are other sections on the foru...oh, wait!

:evil:

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

JCW, if you read this (I hope you are), re: the latest TF thread at his blog, provide links and evidence when asked. This "you wouldn't bother reading" stuff is grating. Ask here if needed, you have a workforce to fish it out for you.

Damn! Crancky again today!

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Ask here if needed, you have a workforce to fish it out for you.
Mind your hive?
or
Hive your mind?

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Michael K Gray wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Ask here if needed, you have a workforce to fish it out for you.
Mind your hive?
or
Hive your mind?
Ok, I may not have been clear here.

JCW, you may or may not have people able and wanting to do the research for you. Or rmaybe we don't give a fuck. Whatever...

Better?

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

MKG, despite your privilege in years, intelligence and (maybe) wisdom, I'm going to take you to task here, actually:

What is, in offering general (community) help a sign of hive mind? Or is it really a shitty saturday and I've decided to read everything the wrong way?

(The latter might be the correct answer. Been waiting for delivery guy over 9000 hours and can't stay put).

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:What is, in offering general (community) help a sign of hive mind?
I offered a philosophical dichotomy by which to prompt such an enquiry as yours.
Rest assured that it was a 'barb'.
A barb by which to prick ourselves that popular support need not equate to accuracy.

A reminder that we, too, should be wary of ad populum, as well as our hypocritical foe.

For, as you ask, "What is, in offering general (community) help a sign of hive mind?", if this "help" is of the FfTB kind, then it is nary a help, but an hindrance.

His remarks should stand on their own merits.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Amusing self-parody courtesy of 'hyperdeath' on Ophelia's thread about the picture of PZ sucking at Beccy's teat (pus cheese, anyone?): http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... ent-249896
hyperdeath says:
August 11, 2012 at 4:38 am
Moderatating voice says:

Seriously, you guys need to have an iota of self-examination. You need to get over your collective narcissistic personality disorder and actually admit that you’ve wronged people, that you’ve overreacted, and that you’ve made mistakes.
That’s a bit like Hitler accusing Anne Frank of antisemitism.
And then, quickly realising what a dick he's made of himself, 'hyperdeath' subsequently posts:
hyperdeath says:
August 11, 2012 at 4:41 am

…oh and a note to the quotemining distorting idiots: That was hyperbole, meant to illustrate an abstract point. I wasn’t accusing anyone of being like Hitler, or portraying anyone as being like Anne Frank.
You could have just said it's a matter of 'parallel logic', hyperdeath - Ophelia wouldn't have minded, honestly. :lol:

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Oh, and should thee complaineth vexatiously, let it be know that such tribal fact-seeking hath wrought (amongst other orthodox travesties) that Jesus is real, Man did not Land on the Moon, Xenu lives under a Mountain in Antarctica.
Be wary.

real horrorshow

Post by real horrorshow »

Tigzy wrote:Amusing self-parody courtesy of 'hyperdeath' on Ophelia's thread about the picture of PZ sucking at Beccy's teat (pus cheese, anyone?): http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... ent-249896
You could have just said it's a matter of 'parallel logic', hyperdeath - Ophelia wouldn't have minded, honestly. :lol:
Curses, you beat me to it. We have a new Baboon term though.
"That's a bit like Hitler" ≠ "accusing anyone of being like Hitler"
Because: "hyperbole meant to illustrate an abstract point"
Meh. It's not a neat as 'parallel logic'. (It's not an 'abstract point' either, but you knew that.)

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

real horrorshow wrote:
Tigzy wrote:Amusing self-parody courtesy of 'hyperdeath' on Ophelia's thread about the picture of PZ sucking at Beccy's teat (pus cheese, anyone?): http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... ent-249896
Curses, you beat me to it. We have a new Baboon term though.
"That's a bit like Hitler" ≠ "accusing anyone of being like Hitler"
Because: "hyperbole meant to illustrate an abstract point"
Meh. It's not a neat as 'parallel logic'. (It's not an 'abstract point' either, but you knew that.)
:lol: I love the smell of self-roasting baboon in the morning.
Michael K Gray wrote:Oh, and should thee complaineth vexatiously, let it be know that such tribal fact-seeking hath wrought (amongst other orthodox travesties) that Jesus is real, Man did not Land on the Moon, Xenu lives under a Mountain in Antarctica...
...and that Rebecca Watson is an intelligent and respected voice in the atheist community.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Tigzy wrote:I love the smell of self-roasting baboon in the morning.
I love the smell of Facepalm in the morning.© 2012 MKG

Dilurk

Re: "Hacking"

Post by Dilurk »

sacha wrote:
Angry_Drunk wrote:Hey kids, long time lurker here.

I'd take any claims of "hacking" with a massive dose of sodium chloride given that these fucktards also think that pasting a fuck-ton of text into a comments box is a "Denial of Service" attack:

http://www.bynkii.com/archives/2011/07/holy_shit_1.html

That's JCW's blog! For fuck's sake, they are accusing Welch??! Bloody 'ell!
Reminds me for some reason of the old Internet joke pulled years ago when someone had the domain name warez.org. They then set the A record of ftp.warez.org to 127.0.0.1 . There was one idiot who went so far as to threaten legal action, called the FBI (who laughed at him) because obviously ftp.warez.org was his own machine. He thought he had been cracked. True story.

There is a huge gulf between the technical and the non-technical of us.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Natalie's full of shit pretending to be offended by Laden's ridiculous testosterone statements. Her own bio says "She was born with a Y chromosome but totally kicked its ass." So, Natalie, fuck off. You don't get to complain on this one. You are doing it too. Idiot.

Thunderf00t was outed a while back by an islamicist on youtube, and then made a video admitting his name so that people would stop making "TF is really...." vids. PZ and Ashley Miller actually helped out a bit in TFs name revealing vid. PZ knows that his name and location are dangerous for him. He gets real death threats, not Benson style bull. Real stuff, Hirsi Ali style, especially since he led the major amount of Draw Mohammed Day activities. Entire islamic countries closed down parts of their internet because of TF's actions.

So, after that video, the search for his name died down. PZ knows it's a jab at TF by using it again. Actually, now that I think of it, he's just trying to goad TF into dropping Natalie's email name, which he will not do.

PZ, you're quite the fucking bitch. What's wrong with you? Does Natalie know that you're using her fear of being doxxed to try and goad TF into dropping her name? Luckily TF has more moral fibre than the entire femtheist sections of fftb combined, and won't do that. But, your attempt at fucking people up, PZ, has certainly (and once again) been noted.

Michael K Gray

Re: "Hacking"

Post by Michael K Gray »

Dilurk wrote:There is a huge gulf between the technical and the non-technical of us.
And vice-versa.
I am able to grasp said technicalities with the gay abandon that results from having built the machine.
But.
And here is a BIG but.
(Settle down in the back row there.)
I quite simply do NOT understand those who are "non-technical"

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

EveryMan wrote:I have seen evidence that male/female physiology is different due to the variations among levels of the sex hormones, though. And its known that estrogen levels affect the mental health of females, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estrogen#Mental_health

I've also noticed marked changes in behavior amongst transgender individuals I've known that have undergone hormone replacement therapy. The effect isn't subtle at all. It's also accepted that women are more "emotionally intelligent" than men:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the ... ligent-men
Aaaah, I seee. I shouldn't talk with you no more. Have to go cry for no reason and then get mad at the mailman for no reason. I not reasonable, just weepy/laughy/overemotional. No understand. Not enough testosterone. I, I, I, .... waaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!! Sorry, but this guy says I should get too emotional and act on it before thinking.
That's too bad that you give fake med less judgement. I hope it's not due to fake med fooling mostly women, since it sounds like that's what you're pointing out to me. Fake med has killed a lot of people (of both sexes too), and it's wasted a lot of people's money. And 'integrative' just tries to give credibility to mixing placeboes in with real medicine, taking away funds that could and should go towards real, evidence-based medicine.
Medical malpractice is way more dangerous than placebos. I support integrative medicine as it provides a path for individuals that are intimidated by western medicine and hospitals. And placebos are the best medicine for imaginary illnesses, like CFS.
As you are an apologist for lying to patients, and using fake med, I'm writing you off as an asshole. I mean, what the fuck? Are you a doctor who routinely lies to your patients? If you were my doctor, lying to avoid telling me something unpleasant (that an illness is psychological rather than physical), I'd probably get mad enough to kick you in the cunt. I have no tolerance for woo pushers. Even woo pushers in my own family get called out by me.
No, we have an anti-rape culture, as evidenced by how universally appalled we all are that the Penn State rapes were ignored/covered up, and as evidenced by how college attendees are a NOT a pro-roofie culture. When incidences of that turn up, we as a culture, are appalled. We warn women to watch their drinks (and men should too, for both rape and robbery concerns). Rape is a crime in our culture. Rape is the exception, not the rule.
I think if you knew how well tolerated date-rape drugs were within "Bro" culture you would be appalled. And I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest you probably haven't been to too many frat parties recently.
Your alleged claims of frat parties accepted for the sake of argument, do you think society and these kids' mothers all say "oh, but rape is ok if it's at a frat party"? No, because we are not in a rape culture. Our culture has the ocassional rapist in it, but that's not the norm. It's overwhelmingly thought of as a bad thing. That's the difference.

As for your links, I don't want other people's opinions and guesses. Could you link to the actual peer reviewed research? Mind you, Sacha took a look at your links and found it didn't even have anything to do with your claim. I just went to that wiki link, and not finding anything on a quick readover, I did a search for the word 'emotion'. There were zero results. The Psych Today article you linked to, had no citations at all. It was all the author's guesses. Everything was a maybe. He used phrases like: "some measures suggest", etc, with no sources of course.

Everyman, you have a lot of assumptions that you believe in. You even believe in things you know are not true, just placeboes. That's very unethical. I suspect that you also know full well that hormones barely make any difference. Little enough that your mega assumptions based on it are crap.

Oh dear, now I see you are using the phrase 'big pharma', so as someone who is trying to hide my real reptilian self, I better not discuss conspiracies with you any more!
[youtube]m5W6APS7D1o[/youtube]

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Sacha wrote:Holy fuck, you have Nectar and I DEFENDING women with your idiocy! "A lifetime of dealing with women"?? Clearly not women with a brain.
"Men like taking things apart" "Women like experiencing/knowing" FUCK! If you had just clearly stated MANY men like to do that, MANY women like that. YOU ARE A BLOODY IMBECILE.

You should just go back to making "dumb blond sacha" jokes, stick with the easy stuff, cowboy.

I can't be bothered to respond to the rest of your comment...
I know, eh? As an egalitarian, I find that his comments are either ignorantly or knowingly sexist. Since I'm against ALL sexism, whether to men or women, I don't like that he really does believe some ridiculous generalizations about both sexes, and it doesn't help that he's a woo apologist. That alone would get him in my really bad books.

That Storm vid was perfect for this. I'm holding back from the smilie I want to give you right now.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Back to the woowoo guy:
EveryWooMan wrote:Are you aware that women are considered more "emotionally intelligent" than men? Did you miss that part of my post?
Is this that thing that gets called 'benevolent sexism'? Hahahahahahahah (pardon me, my good men, my overemotions got the better of me and I had a laughter emotion, I know you men NEVER get such emotions).
My observation was that poorly-educated women might have a hard time differentiating their feelings from reality; hence the behavior of the skepchicks.
Do you also believe that poorly educated men have that same hard time?

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Well, Lousy Canuck has just broken all internet ethics on doxxing. He's published the private emails and IPs of many people here, as well as a certain unnamed weirdo (DB) who used to post here. I believe that may be illegal. Do they use wordpress software for their blog? Discus for their comments? What company hosts their domain? Those places all have TOS's. Maybe the tables should be turned and THEY be reported on. This one would be a legit one. Privacy is something that's taken seriously. This isn't just some namecalling. Those of you who are on the list should report it.

Only three things in this world are inevitable, taxes, death, and that every day the FfTBloggers will do a new act of dispicability.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Scented Nectar wrote:I'm writing you off as an asshole
Late to the party?

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

The Pelagic Argosy wrote:

A satirical cartoon is now bullying, is it? Cthulhu's bollock hairs, do words no longer have any meaning at all? And what does this post even mean? It's devoid of content—unless, perhaps, one has been hanging on to the Ophelian Mother's every word and nuance. Oh yes, and speaking of hanging off Ophelia, the winnet-like Ace of Sevens' concern in regard to the aesthetic standards of graphic design in Photoshopped piss-takes is duly noted.
Parody draws blood more when it has an element of truth about it.

P.S., Apparently I have embroidery needles around here. What is embroidery anyway? Someone care to enlighten me? I have a soldering station, would that do? This witless granny would love to know!

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Scented, if you still have the archive?
Yep, I'll check sometime today and do a copy/paste of PZs threat, and any connected comments.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

MKG, yeah, I guess I'm late to that party. Sometimes it takes a while to dawn on me, what the fuck kind of asshole IS this person?!?!?

Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Badger3k wrote:
Patrick wrote:
Now I've been outed again!

Yeah, that's me, I stopped using pseudonyms after the untimely demise of MathGrrl. I care too much.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Scented Nectar wrote:Well, Lousy Canuck has just broken all internet ethics on doxxing. He's published the private emails and IPs
Well I am sorry to know he is a Canadian. You suppose we could export him?
of many people here, as well as a certain unnamed weirdo (DB) who used to post here. I believe that may be illegal. Do they use wordpress software for their blog? Discus for their comments? What company hosts their domain? Those places all have TOS's. Maybe the tables should be turned and THEY be reported on. This one would be a legit one. Privacy is something that's taken seriously. This isn't just some namecalling. Those of you who are on the list should report it.
This is exactly what I feared would happen if I dared post on the old ERV threads and why I lurked so long. I'm was not a big forum/blog poster and was not sure how much to trust services such as Disqus. I trust the admin of this site of course and Abbie of course.

Only three things in this world are inevitable, taxes, death, and that every day the FfTBloggers will do a new act of dispicability.
Sooner or later, the FfTBloggers will libel someone with the resources to sue them.