Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
Patrick

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by Patrick »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Badger3k wrote:
Patrick wrote:
Tigzy wrote:Holy shit, Jason Thibizebedee is a slimy little turd! I've just been looking at the blogpost where he revealed the email & IP addys of those commentators he had in moderation - http://freethoughtblogs.com/lousycanuck ... ion-queue/ - and I saw this (emphasis mine):
I will, however, answer one question by Phil: yes, I published email and IP info. On the right, in the Contact Me form, “I reserve the right to publish any contact, especially if it’s hateful or ridiculous”. The “email will not be published” on the comment field is telling you that it will not be added to your comment on the post itself, not that it will never be published under any circumstances.
God, I hope he was bullied when he was a kid.
The only place I've had a pseudonym outed online has been the intelligent design creationism site Uncommon Descent. It's nice to know that FTB shares the same values.
So, you're the same Patrick at AtBC? I wondered about that (assuming I'm correct, that is).
I suspect he is, but I'm sure he won't say :D
Hey, why not? What's the point of having white male privilege if I don't use it to post under my real name with utter disdain for my personal safety?

real horrorshow

Post by real horrorshow »

Scented Nectar wrote:Well, Lousy Canuck has just broken all internet ethics on doxxing. He's published the private emails and IPs of many people here, as well as a certain unnamed weirdo (DB) who used to post here.
Link please.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Scented Nectar wrote:Back to the woowoo guy:
EveryWooMan wrote:Are you aware that women are considered more "emotionally intelligent" than men? Did you miss that part of my post?
Is this that thing that gets called 'benevolent sexism'? Hahahahahahahah (pardon me, my good men, my overemotions got the better of me and I had a laughter emotion, I know you men NEVER get such emotions).
My observation was that poorly-educated women might have a hard time differentiating their feelings from reality; hence the behavior of the skepchicks.
Do you also believe that poorly educated men have that same hard time?
I'll just leave this here http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=2755

Language log have done a marvelous job of debunking brain sex since some of the claims pertain to language and language use. e.g. Remember that old chestnut of women talk way more than men ? Debunked here. Keep in mind confirmation bias. Researchers often see what they want to see, not what is actually there.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Michael K Gray wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:What is, in offering general (community) help a sign of hive mind?
I offered a philosophical dichotomy by which to prompt such an enquiry as yours.
Rest assured that it was a 'barb'.
A barb by which to prick ourselves that popular support need not equate to accuracy.

A reminder that we, too, should be wary of ad populum, as well as our hypocritical foe.

For, as you ask, "What is, in offering general (community) help a sign of hive mind?", if this "help" is of the FfTB kind, then it is nary a help, but an hindrance.

His remarks should stand on their own merits.
Ok, point dully granted. But it doesn't seem to follow that asking for a common effort to help support JCW's claims is tantamount to a hive mind. And I don't even use a thesaurus (bloody browser is set to French, and I don't really want to waste time looking for the English version).

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Horrorshow, there you go (hey, it rhymes!)

http://freethoughtblogs.com/lousycanuck ... ion-queue/

franc

Post by franc »

Scented Nectar wrote:Well, Lousy Canuck has just broken all internet ethics on doxxing. He's published the private emails and IPs of many people here, as well as a certain unnamed weirdo (DB) who used to post here. I believe that may be illegal. Do they use wordpress software for their blog? Discus for their comments? What company hosts their domain? Those places all have TOS's. Maybe the tables should be turned and THEY be reported on. This one would be a legit one. Privacy is something that's taken seriously. This isn't just some namecalling. Those of you who are on the list should report it.

Only three things in this world are inevitable, taxes, death, and that every day the FfTBloggers will do a new act of dispicability.
This, contra MKG, is why you should never touch the baboon board, ever, without obfuscation. You leave your fingerprint - however, what you say can be tampered with and you won't be able to prove otherwise. Their ethical standards are proven. Plenty of proxies out there, should you still have the urge to comment over there. And proxy extensions for most browsers.

There is little point complaining. ToS's are ignored when inconvenient - especially by ISP's such as theirs -

http://www.rdc3.com/blog/2011/08/06/clo ... -spammers/

Safe haven for all sorts of vermin - "bulletproof" is marketing speak for "we ignore complaints". You may however find ways to make an example via EPIC or similar privacy groups.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Deep

[youtube]7XZQZ8KL3as[/youtube]

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Can someone please explain to me why revealing Screed's real name will result in murder? Is there something I've missed? It can't be just because she is trans. I mean according to her post about a bloke seeing her in the street and calling her disgusting, she's not a very convincing female and everyone she meets will know she was born a man without reading her name on the internet. Has she done something that could reasonably make her a target for a murderer? I just don't get it. Obviously if she doesn't want her name made public then it shouldn't be, but is there a reasonable chance it will put her in danger?

franc

Post by franc »

bhoytony wrote:Can someone please explain to me why revealing Screed's real name will result in murder? Is there something I've missed? It can't be just because she is trans. I mean according to her post about a bloke seeing her in the street and calling her disgusting, she's not a very convincing female and everyone she meets will know she was born a man without reading her name on the internet. Has she done something that could reasonably make her a target for a murderer? I just don't get it. Obviously if she doesn't want her name made public then it shouldn't be, but is there a reasonable chance it will put her in danger?
Unpaid heroin bill.

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

Za-zen wrote:Deep

[youtube]7XZQZ8KL3as[/youtube]

Why is Yankee Doodle a cowboy...in a western town?

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

franc wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:Well, Lousy Canuck has just broken all internet ethics on doxxing. He's published the private emails and IPs of many people here, as well as a certain unnamed weirdo (DB) who used to post here. I believe that may be illegal. Do they use wordpress software for their blog? Discus for their comments? What company hosts their domain? Those places all have TOS's. Maybe the tables should be turned and THEY be reported on. This one would be a legit one. Privacy is something that's taken seriously. This isn't just some namecalling. Those of you who are on the list should report it.

Only three things in this world are inevitable, taxes, death, and that every day the FfTBloggers will do a new act of dispicability.
This, contra MKG, is why you should never touch the baboon board, ever, without obfuscation. You leave your fingerprint - however, what you say can be tampered with and you won't be able to prove otherwise. Their ethical standards are proven. Plenty of proxies out there, should you still have the urge to comment over there. And proxy extensions for most browsers.
Or even a TOR exit node. Personally, I CBA to bother with the loons at fftb. I wasn't bothering to read the comments for months before I stopped reading them entirely. At least the e-mails are mostly throw away gmail or hotmail accounts. I have a throwaway gmail for backup. If I could be arsed I could use it with a proxy or TOR.
There is little point complaining. ToS's are ignored when inconvenient - especially by ISP's such as theirs -

http://www.rdc3.com/blog/2011/08/06/clo ... -spammers/

Safe haven for all sorts of vermin - "bulletproof" is marketing speak for "we ignore complaints". You may however find ways to make an example via EPIC or similar privacy groups.
If you are on DHCP you can at least get a new lease on a new IP. The best a baboon can do then is narrow it down to a POP in your city.

Post by Guest »

bhoytony wrote:Can someone please explain to me why revealing Screed's real name will result in murder? Is there something I've missed? It can't be just because she is trans. I mean according to her post about a bloke seeing her in the street and calling her disgusting, she's not a very convincing female and everyone she meets will know she was born a man without reading her name on the internet. Has she done something that could reasonably make her a target for a murderer? I just don't get it. Obviously if she doesn't want her name made public then it shouldn't be, but is there a reasonable chance it will put her in danger?
What gets me is the complaint about how this might impact employment prospects. If your employer is prejudiced against transsexuals then why the fucking hell would she want to be sitting there making them money?

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Dilurk wrote:
Or even a TOR exit node. Personally, I CBA to bother with the loons at fftb. I wasn't bothering to read the comments for months before I stopped reading them entirely. At least the e-mails are mostly throw away gmail or hotmail accounts. I have a throwaway gmail for backup. If I could be arsed I could use it with a proxy or TOR

If you are on DHCP you can at least get a new lease on a new IP. The best a baboon can do then is narrow it down to a POP in your city.
Grrr forgot the obvious one. Take my laptop down to a local coffee house ask for their free wifi access, they never log who I am anyway. I simply cannot be arsed to bother with the baboons now.

Post by Guest »

Couldn't give a shit if the baboons know who I am in real life or where I live. There's not that many of them, they're gutless and they couldn't impact my business if they tried.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

bhoytony wrote:Can someone please explain to me why revealing Screed's real name will result in murder? Is there something I've missed? It can't be just because she is trans. I mean according to her post about a bloke seeing her in the street and calling her
disgusting, she's not a very convincing female and everyone she meets will know she was born a man without reading her name on
Trust me, you have met some and you never would realise it. I can only assume she is very early in the process when yes, the most hate happens.
the internet. Has she done something that could reasonably make her a target for a murderer? I just don't get it. Obviously if she doesn't want her name made public then it shouldn't be, but is there a reasonable chance it will put her in danger?
Yes. There is. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transgende ... emembrance

Apart from the danger, I don't see that it matters at all that she is differently gendered. She is a terrible writer, anything else is irrelevant as far as her writing goes.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Guest wrote:Couldn't give a shit if the baboons know who I am in real life or where I live. There's not that many of them, they're gutless and they couldn't impact my business if they tried.
I'd love to see this guest registered. It would be lovely to see someone with some dosh and guts sue one of these idiots into the ground.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Guest wrote:
What gets me is the complaint about how this might impact employment prospects. If your employer is prejudiced against transsexuals then why the fucking hell would she want to be sitting there making them money?
It makes no sense to me. If some random stranger passing her in the street can immediately spot she's a tranny (or whatever the fuck it is I have to call her so she doesn't get to feel oppressed) I cannot imagine her boss will be casually browsing the internet, see the dropped docs and suddenly cry "Fuck me, that new brickie's not really a woman!". Everybody she deals with IRL must know already.

franc

Post by franc »

baboons and cloudflare -

http://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/listings/cloudflare.com

It is pretty obvious that the assholes want freedom from accountability. First and only consideration for hosting provider. Speaks volumes.

Myers, you are a coward and you want the freedom to hide from your idiotic idiocy.

Post by Guest »

Dilurk wrote:
Guest wrote:Couldn't give a shit if the baboons know who I am in real life or where I live. There's not that many of them, they're gutless and they couldn't impact my business if they tried.
I'd love to see this guest registered. It would be lovely to see someone with some dosh and guts sue one of these idiots into the ground.
What am I going to sue them for?

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Guest wrote:
Dilurk wrote:
What am I going to sue them for?
Be creative. Please.

franc

Post by franc »

Really? "Guest"? Oh, I so believe you.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Dilurk wrote:
bhoytony wrote:Can someone please explain to me why revealing Screed's real name will result in murder? Is there something I've missed? It can't be just because she is trans. I mean according to her post about a bloke seeing her in the street and calling her
disgusting, she's not a very convincing female and everyone she meets will know she was born a man without reading her name on
Trust me, you have met some and you never would realise it. I can only assume she is very early in the process when yes, the most hate happens.
the internet. Has she done something that could reasonably make her a target for a murderer? I just don't get it. Obviously if she doesn't want her name made public then it shouldn't be, but is there a reasonable chance it will put her in danger?
Yes. There is. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transgende ... emembrance

Apart from the danger, I don't see that it matters at all that she is differently gendered. She is a terrible writer, anything else is irrelevant as far as her writing goes.
I'm not saying there isn't any chance of danger in being trans, only that I fail to see how knowing her real name makes any impact. You don't know if she is early in the process. Maybe she just isn't very convincing after the process. I've spent a lot of time in the Far East I have seen and known loads of trans of all types pre/post op, surgical/hormonal tits etc.and some will never look feminine no matter what they do. If a guy walking past her in the street can tell at a glance, then I don't see how knowing her name will change that..

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

[quote="From the original "Dawkins coup de grace in Vegas" SlimePit thread, here is the comment where PZ "]125
No-one is raging about Watson's "guy's, don't do that" line.
Demonstrably false. The whole affair of Dawkins' comment and Watson's anger over it emerged in what, the second or third post I had on the subject, after thousands of comments.
In other words you think you have a right to offer a combination of backpedaling and a spanking to an outspoken atheist woman in science because you are old, male and have a bigger hit count.
Say what? I have neither backpedaled, nor have I spanked anyone, nor have I cited age, sex, or blog traffic as evidence of authority. I don't think any of that is important.
I also stated quite plainly, to you, that I had not voiced all of my personal issues or reasoning on this particular incident to *anyone*.
This is not a personal issue. I'm engaging in your public discussion of the subject. If it's confidential and not to be made public, it's irrelevant to this whole debate.

I also have some personal, private information about some of the participants in the argument, facts about some of the people on the anti-Watson side, that make their comments look self-serving and prejudicial to me. They're personal and private, though, so they are irrelevant, and I'm not going to take the cheap shot of revealing them.

Posted by: PZ Myers | July 19, 2011 11:22 AM[/quote]I've bolded and ital'd the part where PZ makes the passive-aggressive threat. His form of "mighty nice personal info you have here, shame if anyone ever went public with it"

As for the entire conversation in that thread that PZ had with ERV, that would take me forever to go through and copy and paste it all.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Dilurk wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:Well, Lousy Canuck has just broken all internet ethics on doxxing. He's published the private emails and IPs
Well I am sorry to know he is a Canadian. You suppose we could export him?
We could probably stash him in a crate of maple syrup headed somewhere far, far away, I suppose. :lol: Maybe France, and if LC speaks Quebec style French, they can laugh at him for his funny accent there.

Obviously joking above, but for real, he's an ethical retard. Morally fucking corrupt. Where could we send him that wouldn't cause us to feel sorry for his new countryfolk?

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

real horrorshow wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:Well, Lousy Canuck has just broken all internet ethics on doxxing. He's published the private emails and IPs of many people here, as well as a certain unnamed weirdo (DB) who used to post here.
Link please.
Looks like someone posted it before I could. :)

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Franc, I think even vermin have better ethics than that bunch. They're fucking deplorable. Lousy Cunt and the rest are below the lowest.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Scented Nectar wrote:
Dilurk wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:Well, Lousy Canuck has just broken all internet ethics on doxxing. He's published the private emails and IPs
Well I am sorry to know he is a Canadian. You suppose we could export him?
We could probably stash him in a crate of maple syrup headed somewhere far, far away, I suppose. :lol: Maybe France, and if LC speaks Quebec style French, they can laugh at him for his funny accent there.
Norway again! They have deep fjords I hear.
Obviously joking above, but for real, he's an ethical retard. Morally fucking corrupt. Where could we send him that wouldn't cause us to feel sorry for his new countryfolk?
He is indeed. Antarctica. He could live with the penguins.

real horrorshow

Post by real horrorshow »

Scented Nectar wrote:Obviously joking above, but for real, he's an ethical retard. Morally fucking corrupt. Where could we send him that wouldn't cause us to feel sorry for his new countryfolk?
Monaco, Bermuda, Dubai... Any of those places where the population consists of tax-dodging, robber-baron scumbags and their servants?
Dilurk wrote:Antarctica. He could live with the penguins.
What have you got against penguins? Anyway, there are International treaties to keep Antarctica pure. They even shipped out the dog turds from earlier expeditions. No way they'd let Tibo* in there.

*Tibo is how is name is pronounced. Why have all those extra letters if you're not going to use them? It's like calling your dog Phighdeux!

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Matt Dillahunty in his car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQEKXlSrziM&feature=plcp

He talks about Thunderf00t and how is such a dishonest prick, and then criticises FreeThoughtBlogs for their recent behaviour, and their attempts to meddle with people's employment.*

*actually, the second half of that last sentence isn't true - he only talks about how evil Thunderf00t is, and how he, Matt "facts don't matter" Dillahunty is soooo right, and logical, and sexy, and brilliant, and stuff.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

CommanderTuvok wrote:Matt Dillahunty in his car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQEKXlSrziM&feature=plcp

He talks about Thunderf00t and how is such a dishonest prick, and then criticises FreeThoughtBlogs for their recent behaviour, and their attempts to meddle with people's employment.*

*actually, the second half of that last sentence isn't true - he only talks about how evil Thunderf00t is, and how he, Matt "facts don't matter" Dillahunty is soooo right, and logical, and sexy, and brilliant, and stuff.
Matt Dillpicklehunty has lost me as a viewer. I think the fame got to his head tbh.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

real horrorshow wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:Obviously joking above, but for real, he's an ethical retard. Morally fucking corrupt. Where could we send him that wouldn't cause us to feel sorry for his new countryfolk?
Monaco, Bermuda, Dubai... Any of those places where the population consists of tax-dodging, robber-baron scumbags and their servants?
Hum, some of my best friends live in Monaco. As a mater of fact, I'm going to perform "Hometown Glory" by Adele for a friend's wedding on September 1st at the Monaco Cathedral.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Why has no one patetnted Dillacunty yet? Come on pitters!

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

bhoytony:
'm not saying there isn't any chance of danger in being trans, only that I fail to see how knowing her real name makes any impact. You don't know if she is early in the process. Maybe she just isn't very convincing after the process.
Exactly - I've no doubt either that transgendered individuals can be and are victims of abuse, harassment, prejudice, and violence. None of us has any idea where Reed is in the transitioning process, nor how far she intends to transition. She might be genderqueer, though her own description of "kicking the Y chromosome's ass" makes that seem unlikely. If a transgendered individual wishes to undergo sex reassignment surgery in the US, he or she must first have 12 months of continuous real life experience (RLE) in hir chosen gender identity, in the context of job, school, etc. RLE doesn't mean that ze has pass convincingly during that period, and ze can start hormone therapy during that period as well. It can be an issue (should not be a problem, except for prudish puritanical narrow-minded Merkins) at a workplace, because the transitioning individual will use restrooms according to hir chosen gender identity. This occurred at a university where I worked over a decade ago, when an individual who worked in a technology support department transitioned, and remained in that position throughout and after transitioning. IIRC, few if any women had a problem with this individual using the women's restrooms at work during the RLE period.

tl;dr - I don't understand how knowing Reed's real name affects the process either, particularly if she is recognizably transgendered to random passersby who don't know her. Of course many of the FTBers seem to be living in some mysterious counterculture economy well outside the usual Merkin definitions of job, workplace, self-employment, taxable income, and even undocumented immigrant worker.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Matt Pillockhunty?

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Doormat Dillahunty?

Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Why has no one patetnted Dillacunty yet? Come on pitters!
That idea I mentioned earlier that the Slyme Pitters struck me as more mature and having more life experience than the FTBers? Yeah, I'm rethinking that....

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

I've just spotted a mistake in Thunderf00t's response to the "hacking" scandal. He repeats part of the false narrative established by FTB after Laden was booted:
For instance they were quite happy to openly talk about Greg Ladens 'threats of violence'
No they were not. Justin Griffith revealed what happened, and it was ONLY THEN, that Laden got the boot. All we heard was that a lot of chatter was going on in the infamous backchannel before Justin spilled the beans. There was no indication they were going to get rid of Laden, and seeing the reaction of Laden, and the support of Black Svan, I got the distinct impression it was going to be covered up before Justin's 'The Pits' piece. They actually "victim blamed" Justin for making it public. But hey, I'm sure the Baboons would have made an announcement soon enough. :lol:

AFTER this was revealed, we got a lot of "well, Laden was a bit naughty, but TF was far worse, so we got rid of both of them at the same time". Then, instead of condemning Laden, a lot of the FfTB bloggers offered justifications for Laden's behaviour, especially Black Svan with that insane "Jeff" analogy. Oh, and she held a toast to him on the night Laden was booted.

JAB

Post by JAB »

Michael K Gray wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:I'm writing you off as an asshole
Late to the party?

Yeah, me too. He/she seems of the right mental age to be of the horde. Seems to be here not to discuss but score points of some kind, in a condescending way. I was going to figure out that way so I don't see everyman's posts, but I'd still see the responses, so I just ignore in the old fashioned way.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

JAB wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:I'm writing you off as an asshole
Late to the party?

Yeah, me too. He/she seems of the right mental age to be of the horde. Seems to be here not to discuss but score points of some kind, in a condescending way. I was going to figure out that way so I don't see everyman's posts, but I'd still see the responses, so I just ignore in the old fashioned way.
You can make him a foe, then his posts will be collapsed, and you would get the option to expand them

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Patrick wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Why has no one patetnted Dillacunty yet? Come on pitters!
That idea I mentioned earlier that the Slyme Pitters struck me as more mature and having more life experience than the FTBers? Yeah, I'm rethinking that....
Awww, come on! It was a joke! (and a rather smart, by schoolyard standards, pun). :D

Azathoth

Post by Azathoth »

They aren't even very good at it if the best they can get is email and IP

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

BarnOwl wrote: tl;dr - I don't understand how knowing Reed's real name affects the process either, particularly if she is recognizably transgendered to random passersby who don't know her. Of course many of the FTBers seem to be living in some mysterious counterculture economy well outside the usual Merkin definitions of job, workplace, self-employment, taxable income, and even undocumented immigrant worker.
I've been trying to work through this myself. The only thing I can come up with is "Natelie Reed" has been portraying "herself" as a woman in some areas of "her" life, and it might screw up social or professional contacts "she" has established. More of a lie exposed kind of thing. I don't see physical threats as being viable, for the same reasons stated upthread.

Yes, I know my quotation marks aren't very empathetic, but it's not from lack of caring about transgendered persons needing an identity they feel comfortable with. There are two sexes. The he's and the she's. If you have a penis, you're a he. If you have a vagina, you're a she. I'm not really concerned about chromosomes. If "Natelie Reed" has a vagina, as I'm not sure of this fact, then I'll be happy to refer to "her" without quotation marks.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

I own up to dickcunty, dont know if i varied it to dillacunty, might have done, you usually know when its me if im doing some stupid play on words to reflect the stupidity of their message.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Za-zen wrote:I own up to dickcunty, dont know if i varied it to dillacunty, might have done, you usually know when its me if im doing some stupid play on words to reflect the stupidity of their message.
Dildocunty?

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Ha no dildocunty is from somebody a notch ahead of me

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Lsuoma wrote:
Za-zen wrote:I own up to dickcunty, dont know if i varied it to dillacunty, might have done, you usually know when its me if im doing some stupid play on words to reflect the stupidity of their message.
Dildocunty?
Yeah, I think 'dildo' should be in there somewhere, as I'm pretty sure Matt sometimes uses Martin Wagner as a strap-on.

EveryMan

Post by EveryMan »

disumbrationist wrote: Note too that supplements are not the kinds of things people who oppose alternative medicine generally care too much about, unless they're toxic and complicate normal treatment. The more troubling practices include things like homeopathy and vitamin megadoses, as well as anything that is supposed to replace a proven treatment for a serious illness (e.g. cancer quackery).
You (and others) are completely missing the point of integrative medicine. It is never, ever replacement therapy.

The point is to get patients into a treatment program that complements their own internal belief system in a safe and managed way. I guess you could think of it at as similar to harm reduction programs for heroin addicts.

What disturbs me about the dogmatic approach to skepticism displayed here is that I'm getting the impression that you (collectively) would prefer a patient be denied care vs. providing an integrative approach that includes non-traditional therapies.
Though you do have a point, in a way: companies will, in the end, sell people anything they are foolish enough to buy. One can imagine that if using reiki or homeopathy, like other forms of irrational behavior, manages to gain a foothold in a large segment of the population, unscrupulous doctors will increase their support of it; however, this will be due to market forces, not intellectual ones. The 'appeal to marketability' is just the 'appeal to popularity' fallacy in another guise.
Not all Doctors are scumbags. We (meaning the University of California) are trying to build bridges between the alt-med and conventional med communities. I think this something to be applauded.

EveryMan

Re: "Hacking"

Post by EveryMan »

Dilurk wrote:
Reminds me for some reason of the old Internet joke pulled years ago when someone had the domain name warez.org. They then set the A record of ftp.warez.org to 127.0.0.1 . There was one idiot who went so far as to threaten legal action, called the FBI (who laughed at him) because obviously ftp.warez.org was his own machine. He thought he had been cracked. True story.

There is a huge gulf between the technical and the non-technical of us.
http://www.bash.org/?search=127.0.0.1&sort=0&show=25

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

EveryMan wrote:
We (meaning the University of California) are trying to build bridges between the witch-doctors and conventional med communities. I think this something to be applauded.
Don't all applaud at once..

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Oh Lousy... your plane's ready. No, no, don't take off the blindfold. We haven't figured out where we're sending you yet. :)

Patrick, you seem to think we all promised you something. I'm like, huh? Who are you, and why are you expecting only G rated talk/humour?

EveryMan

Post by EveryMan »

Scented Nectar wrote:Well, Lousy Canuck has just broken all internet ethics on doxxing. He's published the private emails and IPs of many people here, as well as a certain unnamed weirdo (DB) who used to post here. I believe that may be illegal.
Well, you would believe wrong. At least here in America, as we have very little in the way of privacy rights.

Europe is way ahead of us in that regard, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Directive_ ... unications

Doxxing is considered the height of skeeze, though. I will point out that the one (1) contact I got from getting doxxed by Laden was from a fellow victim of his that was sympathetic and offered support.

Now all I have to worry about is angry SlymePitters! :shock:

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Guest wrote:
If the comment above was correct - that she is is obvious that a man on the street can tell, then why does she think her employers wouldn't know?

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

EveryMan wrote: Now all I have to worry about is angry SlymePitters! :shock:
Though it's not really apt here to speak of the Slymepit in groupthink terms, I think it's fair to say that most of us might adhere to the principle of 'if it seems like something that Greg Laden would happily do, then it's very probably a shitty thing to do.'

Just as Aquinas held god to be the absolute moral standard of what is good, then so can Laden be held as the comparative standard of what is utterly snivelling, finky and shit.

EveryMan

Post by EveryMan »

AndrewV69 wrote:
sacha wrote: HAHA, and if one reads the article, it doesn't even back his "women are more emotionally intelligent" claim!
OK before this gets out of hand, everyone knows Simon Baron-Cohen right?
I do, as an aside he is Sascha Baron-Cohen's (Ali-G/Borat) cousin.

His work, while interesting, is still completely theoretical.

It's also probably wrong given some very recent research on the brains of autistic children that has come out of our University. There does appear to be some fundamental differences in the development of the autistic brain vs. a neurotypical one. So this looks more like a hardware than a software problem.

SteveW68

Post by SteveW68 »

http://whois.domaintools.com/freethoughtblogs.com

"Ed" neglected to register with privacy enabled - Lists his address, real name and phone number - hosted by bluehost.com

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Amphiox shows (his and FTB's) completely oblivious tunnel vision:
There is no skeptic community. Prior to elevatorgate there may have been an illusion that there was one, but that illusion was thoroughly dispelled right then and there.

There is no skeptic community.

There is a community of people who believe that women are human beings and should be treated with respect and consideration when they say things like “guys don’t do that”, and there is another community of people who apparently do not.
http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-428350

These people are so cloistered and so insulated from reality. Uh, hello, there's an entire skeptic community out there that's saying "lolwut" at that one.

Azathoth

Post by Azathoth »

EveryMan wrote:
disumbrationist wrote: Note too that supplements are not the kinds of things people who oppose alternative medicine generally care too much about, unless they're toxic and complicate normal treatment. The more troubling practices include things like homeopathy and vitamin megadoses, as well as anything that is supposed to replace a proven treatment for a serious illness (e.g. cancer quackery).
You (and others) are completely missing the point of integrative medicine. It is never, ever replacement therapy.

The point is to get patients into a treatment program that complements their own internal belief system in a safe and managed way. I guess you could think of it at as similar to harm reduction programs for heroin addicts.

What disturbs me about the dogmatic approach to skepticism displayed here is that I'm getting the impression that you (collectively) would prefer a patient be denied care vs. providing an integrative approach that includes non-traditional therapies.
Though you do have a point, in a way: companies will, in the end, sell people anything they are foolish enough to buy. One can imagine that if using reiki or homeopathy, like other forms of irrational behavior, manages to gain a foothold in a large segment of the population, unscrupulous doctors will increase their support of it; however, this will be due to market forces, not intellectual ones. The 'appeal to marketability' is just the 'appeal to popularity' fallacy in another guise.
Not all Doctors are scumbags. We (meaning the University of California) are trying to build bridges between the alt-med and conventional med communities. I think this something to be applauded.
The problem is that is has been proven many times to do fuck all. If it is unethical and sometimes illegal to prescribe a placebo why does woo get a free pass? If it gets prescribed by conventional doctors it gives it an unearned legitimacy in the eyes of the general public.

EveryMan

Post by EveryMan »

Tigzy wrote: Though it's not really apt here to speak of the Slymepit in groupthink terms, I think it's fair to say that most of us might adhere to the principle of 'if it seems like something that Greg Laden would happily do, then it's very probably a shitty thing to do.'

Just as Aquinas held god to be the absolute moral standard of what is good, then so can Laden be held as the comparative standard of what is utterly snivelling, finky and shit.
Nothing I've posted here is considered even remotely controversial in the business world here in America. Woman are considered superior to men for management/executive roles due to a perceived superiority in emotional intelligence. This observation is based on my personal experience working at Fortune 500 companies and large Universities.

Now, if this is all a bunch of bullshit, please let me know. I'm absolutely willing to hear the counter-argument.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Badger3k wrote:
Guest wrote:
If the comment above was correct - that she is is obvious that a man on the street can tell, then why does she think her employers wouldn't know?
Perhaps the main problem is not with employers, since there's no indication that Reed is occupotypical (not that she's different from most of the FTBers in that respect). I'm skeptical and cynical about most things I read on the interwebz. Indie yarn dyers have been known to fake their own deaths or feign catastrophic illness on Ravelry in attempts to get out of financial entanglements over fiber clubs and knitting workshops, FFS. Who knows what the truth is with Reed's situation ... probably most of her fellow FTBers don't even know.

Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Scented Nectar wrote:Oh Lousy... your plane's ready. No, no, don't take off the blindfold. We haven't figured out where we're sending you yet. :)

Patrick, you seem to think we all promised you something. I'm like, huh? Who are you, and why are you expecting only G rated talk/humour?
Clearly I need to work on my delivery.

I heard some scary guy around here doesn't like emoticons, so I didn't include the winking smiley in my comment.