Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by Tigzy »

Guest wrote:bluharmony writes for SkB http://www.skepticblogs.com/musingsfrom ... ticalleft/
Ed Clint too: http://www.skepticblogs.com/incredulous/ - the guy that the FfTB crowd initially mooted as being responsible for freethoughtblahgs.

Another blogger there, then, who is probably less than enamoured of FfTB. :D

spectator

Post by spectator »

LMU wrote:@spectator
If you would like to talk about god belief and similar things, then it might be a good idea to start a thread in the Freethought, Atheism, etc. forum.
Nah! That would go over like a lead balloon.

Are you the type of person that engages the Jehovah's Witnesses when they come knocking? Back when my drinking days, they had to cut me off a few times. I was a chatty drunk. Plus I'd pull out my version of the Vatican-approved, scholarly Bible. It has lots of little footnotes to make sense of Scripture (something I couldn't do until I cracked this one open. I need a lot of hand-holding or forget reading the Bible). Some of them directly refuted what JW talking points, too :D
Now I don't have the patience to deal with them. The Mormons are easier to deal with since they are just going through the motions. The JW's have years of experience at doorstep debates. What I mean to say is that I don't like someone telling me what to believe, just like atheists don't. I totally get why atheists are sick of that crap.
So I'm not going to darken the door of the SlymePit with philosophical meanderings. There are plenty of other sites dedicated to that. I'm a light weight.
With politics and religion, why do we feel the need to have other people agree with are world-view? Does it make it any more true? Either there is a god or not. Regardless of our conclusions.
OH shoot! I was going to shut up about this. NOw I"ve typed a bunch of paragraphs!
No more! I promise!

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

I bet Amy also got permission from the appropriate parties to do this:
http://img2.etsystatic.com/000/0/518569 ... 496598.jpg

She is an *expert* on copyright infringement.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

spectator wrote:...The JW's have years of experience at doorstep debates...
I think I was actually spazzed* by some visiting JWs once. Opened the door, and there was the obligatory grinning old lady with the Watchtower pamphlets peeking out from her handbag, and a guy with such a fierce speech impediment, he was only capable of saying 'whaugh, whaugh, whau-whau-whaugh,' at me. Ashen faced, I stammered, 'I-I don't know what he's saying,' and closed the door on them. It was quite literally the only time I've been completely unable to refute the arguments of a doorstep JW.

*'spazzing' is a technique deployed by the even less scrupulous canvassing companies, where disabled people are employed for door-to-door sales solely on the basis that their disability should hopefully elicit some sympathy from the potential punter. Courtesy of The Idler, I'm also aware that said companies will sometimes even demand that their able-bodied employees 'spaz' for the same reason.

LMU

Post by LMU »

@spectator

"Nah! That would go over like a lead balloon."

In this thread it might (: I wasn't trying to drive you away though.

"Are you the type of person that engages the Jehovah's Witnesses when they come knocking?"

Sometimes. I don't try to debate them about religion though. One was a carpenter and he'd sit and drink for a little while. I think he was glad to meet someone who wasn't unfriendly.

"So I'm not going to darken the door of the SlymePit with philosophical meanderings. There are plenty of other sites dedicated to that."

That's fine, and this endless thread is mostly focused on FTB shenanigans, but we do have other threads! It makes me wonder if there are any longer term plans for the Slyme Pit. Do we want to try to be a place where people can talk about these things, or stay focused? We do have a sci fi and videogames thread...

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

ERV wrote:I bet Amy also got permission from the appropriate parties to do this:
http://img2.etsystatic.com/000/0/518569 ... 496598.jpg

She is an *expert* on copyright infringement.
Uh-oh, watch out, more DMCAs might come this way!

Sulaco

Post by Sulaco »

Philip wrote: I'm curious to know who doesn't actually want to help and who genuinely does but gets shot down anyway
God tells him.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

The Irishmens Rights Activists have released a message for Twatson..

She has been warned that she is persona non grata within ireland, for her failure to understand Irish cultural norms she is advised to stay out of Irish elevators, or suffer the consequences, this is her one and only warning.

Munkhaus

Re: Becky is a racist

Post by Munkhaus »

Yo. I think this is wrong. As in, bad form.
I remember this because it happened in my home town. (Leigh-on-Sea, if anyone wants to front up for a pint). It was around the time she was hanging around with the Little Atoms Marxists. My admittedly flawed human braine remembers Becca tweeting something like " I've been in the most racist shop in the world". Something like that. I don't know exactly and am far too busy banking etc to try to look back and find out. My point is that I think that this is "what they would do", i.e. take things out of context for some sort of gotcha, and I think it lessens your position.
I've said this on twatter to Amet Speaks who is probably one of you. Still don't get why it's acceptable. It's becoming the Fftbs.
If the aim is to highlight their hypocrisy I'd rather point to the nascent Skepticblogs.com abuse policy:
"Invectives which demean individuals on the basis of ethnicity, sex, gender identification, or age, will not be tolerated. "

Miss Rebecca's absurd initial Dawkins attack is a Full House.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Franc munkhaus wants to see you in the Masters office after lessons. Make sure to be wearing your short trousers boy

lost control

Post by lost control »

DownThunder wrote:You know, before I had any interest in religious politics and social issues, I was part of the MRA - motorcycle riders association.
FYYFF. :obscene-birdiedoublegreen: :auto-biker: :obscene-drinkingcheers:

Yeah, I know, way too many smilies, but hey.
Nope, sadly never been member of any association, and sadly haven't been riding for over two years due to unemployment during that time, but in September I might finally be able again to get my thumper back into shape. *crosses fingers*

sacha

bikers

Post by sacha »

DownThunder wrote:
You know, before I had any interest in religious politics and social issues, I was part of the MRA - motorcycle riders association. Motorcyclists as a community - male dominated mind you - are the antithesis of the victim politics that are so popular. We get blamed when a car driver kills us, we have even police and government officials blaming us. Yet motorcyclists on the whole are some of the most dedicated personal responsibility conscious people I know. The average victim-fem wouldnt last 5 mins on 2 wheels...
Can you even imagine them attempting to have a conversation with the women bikers, let alone the men?

I'm sure they are frightened and intimidated by the sight of them, I've seen far stronger and confident people decide to eat elsewhere because there were a group of bikers having lunch, it happened all the time. "These men have beards and biker gear! Protect the children!!"

Of course victim-fems despise all bikers for what they perceive to be misogynistic culture across the board. I had many biker friends, I was a regular at a local biker bar. The hard-core rape jokes were made by the women. Women bikers are the very antithesis of the baboonettes. I would love to see a few chicks from FfTB walk into a biker bar, stand in front of a woman biker, and try explain how they (and all women) are victims. I'd fucking pay to see that.

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote: Oh yes, I know very well what bikers are like. I hang out with a lot of them. They usualy have a huge heart (figuratively speaking, of course).
I was always treated very well when surrounded by bikers, plus I was never safer.

bikers... fond memories... one in particular, mmmm

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

I have absolutely no respect for Rebecca Watson whatsoever. However, all the folks who are pointing to the picture of Watson thumbs-upping the black face dolls as being representative of some kind of morals/ethics slip on Watson's behalf are being ridiculous and completely missing the quite obvious point that she is being ironical/sarcastic by highlighting the ridiculousness of the dolls.

C'mon, she's an easy target to pick for all her other flaws, but there is no reason to play FfTB Baboolie and miss reality for the sake of trying to score points.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

And when it comes to bikers, I think it is kind of relevant to point out the differences between, say, general-type bikers, and serious gang folk like the Hells Angels.

I worked, so to speak, for the Angels for over ten years, as a musician at Angel parties, and as a DeeJay at Angel-owned nightclubs, and yes, if they've got your back (and they really have the back of musicians they like), they can seem to be great guys. But I've also seen some of the most violent, and I do mean extreme violence -- gouging out eyes; ripping out tongues; six-month hospital stays -- and major sexist behaviour as being as much a daily typical Angel attitude as drinking the beers. So, let's not get carried away with the rather false Bikers-as-Teddy-Bears mythos.

TFJ

Post by TFJ »

Yo. I think this is wrong. As in, bad form.
I remember this because it happened in my home town. (Leigh-on-Sea, if anyone wants to front up for a pint). It was around the time she was hanging around with the Little Atoms Marxists. My admittedly flawed human braine remembers Becca tweeting something like " I've been in the most racist shop in the world". Something like that. I don't know exactly and am far too busy banking etc to try to look back and find out. My point is that I think that this is "what they would do", i.e. take things out of context for some sort of gotcha, and I think it lessens your position.
I've said this on twatter to Amet Speaks who is probably one of you. Still don't get why it's acceptable. It's becoming the Fftbs.
If the aim is to highlight their hypocrisy I'd rather point to the nascent Skepticblogs.com abuse policy:
"Invectives which demean individuals on the basis of ethnicity, sex, gender identification, or age, will not be tolerated. "

Miss Rebecca's absurd initial Dawkins attack is a Full House.
Agreed. My initial impression was that she was giving an ironic thumbs up and it's a stretch to call racism. You never know with Hoggle though; I have a sneaking suspicion that he's just stirring with that pic.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Michael K Gray wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:37 am
Scented Nectar wrote:He sees nothing but doom and gloom if we don't heed his words and advice. It's like there's a rain cloud following over him.
Well, he has chosen his persona with accuracy, that is for sure.
A gnarled sea-dog, embittered by the viccisitudes of foul weather, and an excess of rum to ward off the agues.
An old Man of the Sea.
A Captin Ahab, with his single-minded mono-maniacal persuit that is seen as folly by all around, yet who cannot rest until his Moby Dick is harpooned.

Very, very appropriate.
What a dickhead. You go with that interpretation and that narrative if that is what turns your crank – remarkably similar to some comments over at Man Boobz, although certainly more literate, but it still looks like prejudice – literally, pre judging – to me.

But if you actually wanted to attenuate your ignorance somewhat – although that seems doubtful given your apparent sympathy for the Three Monkeys philosophy – you could take a look at this article, the salient feature of which is this:
Wikipedia wrote:The term cybernetics stems from the Greek κυβερνήτης (kybernētēs, steersman, governor, pilot, or rudder — the same root as government). Cybernetics is a broad field of study, but the essential goal of cybernetics is to understand and define the functions and processes of systems that have goals and that participate in circular, causal chains that move from action to sensing to comparison with desired goal, and again to action.
So, no “gnarled sea-dog, embittered by the vicissitudes of foul weather”, no messiah complex; just someone who thinks, along with more than a few others, that that “philosophy” or perspective is the neatest thing since sliced-bread ....

Parge

Post by Parge »

It's a shame Gurdur hasn't popped in to contribute to Pit Part Deux yet. His latest post has shed a bit of light on some of the events of the last year. Apparently, coffee can have a chilling effect on one's codpiece to the point of insufferable Frenchification (sorry Phil!). And here I thought it was all about the elevator. Listen to the women, guys!

http://heathen-hub.com/blog.php?b=1626

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

John Greg wrote:I have absolutely no respect for Rebecca Watson whatsoever. However, all the folks who are pointing to the picture of Watson thumbs-upping the black face dolls as being representative of some kind of morals/ethics slip on Watson's behalf are being ridiculous and completely missing the quite obvious point that she is being ironical/sarcastic by highlighting the ridiculousness of the dolls.

C'mon, she's an easy target to pick for all her other flaws, but there is no reason to play FfTB Baboolie and miss reality for the sake of trying to score points.
I see it as a case of doing to them exactly what they do to others. In their eyes, especially to Watson and the upper level cronies, there is no acceptable humor for some topics - sexism mainly, but I've seen race and others mentioned. So for her to do a "joke" is, in their own words, insensitive and rude, and probably racist as well. Those who want to take a different road can ignore such things, those who want to poke them with sticks can treat that little clubhouse exactly like they treat everybody else. Different methods, different goals, different people. Whatever.

To put it a slightly different way, I've seen the baboons point out, numerous times, that "you think it's funny because it's a woman in the joke. Try putting in black person instead and see if it's funny.It isn't - you're screaming racism. Well, it's the same thing" (admittedly a paraphrase of the argument, but I'd wager we've all seen variations of it). So, if racist jokes are bad, a picture of the Queen Bee herself, smiling like an idjit and giving the thumbs up to little racist dolls - how are we to know she's being ironic, or joking? If we saw someone else doing that, and posted in on Stromfront, what do you think we'd hear? A lot of "she doesn't mean it" or "fuck yeah!"?

The only reason we believe it to be a joke is that, for all her other faults, I can't recall her ever spouting any racist shit. So we assume. Many people might even assume the same since to most, the idea of anyone giving an unironic thumbs up to that is hard to swallow, but in certain parts of the country, I know many people who would be saying things like "she should have added a noose".

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Apologies for interrupting the party, but i for one, was not seriously suggesting that dollgate was in fact evidence of latent racism, i was as usual taking the piss.

And just to be crystal clear, the warning from the Irishmens rights activists, was not serious either, since we're having to spell everything out for the kiddies. Did someone get the acronym?

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Za-zen wrote:Its one of their tactics, they've been using it for a while, they will do anything to silence opposition, they ban dissent on their blogs, they attempt to contact employers, they contact con organisers to try and blacklist people, they blackmail con organisers by declaring they wont appear if other people are on panels, they file false dmca, and twitter complaints. They threaten physical violence, They lie, decieve and destroy, but they have god on their side so it's all righteous.

But thunderfoot plays superspy on them, and they go into outraged moral indignation mode. They are a fucking church which surpasses the vatican in epic hypocracy.
The Cliff's Notes of the Reader's Digest version of the FTB cult. Nicely said.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Badger said:
To put it a slightly different way, I've seen the baboons point out, numerous times, that "you think it's funny because it's a woman in the joke. Try putting in black person instead and see if it's funny.It isn't - you're screaming racism. Well, it's the same thing" (admittedly a paraphrase of the argument, but I'd wager we've all seen variations of it). So, if racist jokes are bad, a picture of the Queen Bee herself, smiling like an idjit and giving the thumbs up to little racist dolls - how are we to know she's being ironic, or joking? If we saw someone else doing that, and posted in on Stromfront, what do you think we'd hear? A lot of "she doesn't mean it" or "fuck yeah!"?

Yes, I see your point, but I feel that some folks may be stepping over the line and rather than just pointing out the hypocrisy of FfTB's ludicrous and ever-chaning stance about humour, have decided to adopt the FfTB tactic. And that's just all sorts of fail.

Mind you, I could be wrong about Slyme People's reactions to the pic and their reasons for pointing it out.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

... since we're having to spell everything out for the kiddies.
Tut, tut. You ovelook potential experience, knowledge, and/or cultural differences and insights.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:Dick Strawkins, I retract what I said about the cover now. So, it's got a title and cover graphic. All thats missing now is the book itself.
You can call me Dick!
Ok, shall do. :)

Munkhaus

Post by Munkhaus »

Za-zen wrote:Apologies for interrupting the party, but i for one, was not seriously suggesting that dollgate was in fact evidence of latent racism, i was as usual taking the piss.

And just to be crystal clear, the warning from the Irishmens rights activists, was not serious either, since we're having to spell everything out for the kiddies. Did someone get the acronym?
Sure, and it's obvious in here. On twitter it looks like it looks like. If that's what you're after, fine. But unless I'm less drunk than usual (unlikely) it looks like hypocrisy. [what do you think MKG? Btw, I read "Why a Duck" as a much younger man]

Badger3k says: "I see it as a case of doing to them exactly what they do to others"

That's exactly what is wrong with it. Using their methods. As I say, in locations where it is obviously satirical it works, but in public it just looks like you're doing what "they" do i.e. deliberately bullshitting.
Maybe I'm over-reacting, but if that was my reaction as a card-carrying shit-slimer, then perhaps a fence-sitter might be turned off. Shit, sounds like I'm an accommodationist!

tl:dr - being a cunt because they're being cunts... is that wise?

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

John Greg wrote:I have absolutely no respect for Rebecca Watson whatsoever. However, all the folks who are pointing to the picture of Watson thumbs-upping the black face dolls as being representative of some kind of morals/ethics slip on Watson's behalf are being ridiculous and completely missing the quite obvious point that she is being ironical/sarcastic by highlighting the ridiculousness of the dolls.

I agree. I posted a link to the wikipedia article on the dolls. Turns out the original doll was made with dark cloth, nothing to do with racism at all. I was shocked anyone would think 'chinese whispers', was racist let's not be hypocrites. Can we all just move on? *ahem*

cunt

Post by cunt »

@munkhouse

One guy posted the pic with no comment on it. Nobodies taken it seriously as "Rebecca Watson is a racist" so far. So yeah, just go get some coffee.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Za-zen wrote:Apologies for interrupting the party, but i for one, was not seriously suggesting that dollgate was in fact evidence of latent racism, i was as usual taking the piss.
It is what I would expect from the fftb types. They take umbrage at 'Chinese whispers' they'd have pounced on a slimepitter with these dolls as racist. I can see this photo as mocking the fftbers with that in mind.. The problem is, the fftber's will use it against us.
No, the Irish Rights activists was crystal clear humour to me. Ya 'spelling everything out for the kiddies'. Let's try, did someone not get the acronym?

Munkhaus

Post by Munkhaus »

cunt wrote:@munkhouse

One guy posted the pic with no comment on it. Nobodies taken it seriously as "Rebecca Watson is a racist" so far. So yeah, just go get some coffee.
Thanks for missing the point, cunt.

Dilurk

Re: Surly Amy

Post by Dilurk »

It's hard keeping up here at times. I finally listed to the surly amy audio. I followed the http://elevatorgate.wordpress.com/2012/ ... ke-person/ link. I know it has probably been asked before, but what the hell universe is she in? She does not seem to be talking about any reality I know of.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

On a serious note though, i think dollgate demonstrates that watson understands absurdity as a tool, many people would in fact be offended by her posing with the dolls, even with the knowledge that it was absurdist. And that's where we meet sacred cows, and dogma.

That is where the meme has value, watson has cows that she would balk at if someone produced an absurdist scene.

cunt

Post by cunt »

Munkhaus wrote:
cunt wrote:@munkhouse

Thanks for missing the point, cunt.
You're welcome.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Dilurk wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:36 pm
Steersman wrote:
Dilurk wrote:BTW. You are right about your assessment of the last YT video Cris did, up to a point.
Well, I’m glad you concede that much – you might point that out to Scented Nectar.
I have been known to be wrong on occasion. I still believe the video would have been better had it been done when emotions about the DMCA nonsense were not so high. SN can make up her own mind.
Likewise about being wrong – sometimes I marvel that I haven’t wound up – yet – as a “Darwin Awards” statistic. But sometimes you have to roll the dice, call them as you see them, let the chips fall where they may, etc. Trick is not to double down on a bad hand afterwards – not always easy to do, of course, as we tend to wind up investing too much of ourselves in an idea or position and fail to see when it is no longer tenable – debacle at Stalingrad sort of thing.

As for the SN reference that was more a to-whom-it-may-concern message [much like your “embroider” reference, I might add ... ;-) ], rather than a request that you actually do anything about it yourself. A way of pointing out that if a regular here, someone with some “street-creds”, can see some justification in the argument then maybe it is worth a second look.
I think reading an article by Jean Kazez would help you see where I come from. She is a much better writer than I will ever be.
Interesting article and good points, although it seems her credibility here is suffering somewhat – ah, the vicissitudes of fashion .... But I know what you mean about the “better writer” thing; frustrating at times that fashioning a post can be so tedious and time consuming. Practice and perfection and all that ....
I will give you the benefit of the doubt, despite how angry your words appear to me.

Sorry if they came across that way, particularly as Sacha seemed to see some of them the same way, so maybe I was letting my anger, exasperation at least, get the better of me. But I think that is a good point, one I’ve tried to emphasize in other posts even if MKG is less than impressed by my formulation, about the problematic nature of anger – as someone said a while back, rage seems to be all the rage these days. Although one might argue that many of the people here express some serious anger, with not a little justification, at the antics of some of the FTB crowd. Anger has its uses, but it tends to be a bit of the proverbial two-edged sword. You might be interested in this recent post over at Skeptic Blogs referring to a Scientific American article on “Why Is Everyone on the Internet So Angry?”
However, considering that Laden has threatened people's livelihood and I have been personally harassed and real life stalked by people from the Internet, I'd rather not here in public. I'd rather not have Laden or one of the crazier denizens of the FTB harass me.
Really a rather deplorable state of affairs that so many seem to be so ready to go off the deep end in defence of their dogma, so ready to use the end to justify the means. Maybe some justification at some point – whistle-blowing for a possible example – but when the means are frequently the antithesis of the ends the prognosis tends not to be particularly favourable. Reminds me of some “political action” against E.O. Wilson and something similar that may have been discussed here ....
I took the time to watch Cris' YT video. I would argue that any other time it would have been a reasonable video to have been made. I am seeing anger from both sides instead of logic.
I have not deprecated either Scented Nectar or CommanderTuvok's arguments at all. We are not joined at the hip.
Again, the problematic nature of anger in general. But “deprecated” was probably a poor choice of words – maybe even a “blond moment”; mea culpa and all that. What I meant was that, as indicated previously, your support for the argument tended, in effect, to discount or discredit to some extent the counter-arguments.

spectator

Post by spectator »

Dilurk wrote:

I agree. I posted a link to the wikipedia article on the dolls. Turns out the original doll was made with dark cloth, nothing to do with racism at all. I was shocked anyone would think 'chinese whispers', was racist let's not be hypocrites. Can we all just move on? *ahem*
Dollgate? hmmmmmm..........

Remember when Ben Radford was misogynist of the month for mistakenly saying dolls are pink. She put a lot of effort into making him look retarded for daring to mansplain a 4yr old's rant in a toy store. Because any idiot should know that dolls are pink!

Alright, I'll reluctantly give credit where credit is due. Let the record show that RW actually presented evidence to support an argument. However stupid and trivial that argument was in the first place.

Is it ok to lighten up now? Rebecca is known to deliberately post self-contradicting stuff on the web just to generate attention and controversy. Don't let her antics split the Pit!

spectator

Post by spectator »

I meant "dolls AREN'T pink."
Damn Justicar for not letting me edit my typos!

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Munkhaus wrote:

Sure, and it's obvious in here. On twitter it looks like it looks like. If that's what you're after, fine. But unless I'm less drunk than usual (unlikely) it looks like hypocrisy. [what do you think MKG? Btw, I read "Why a Duck" as a much younger man]

Badger3k says: "I see it as a case of doing to them exactly what they do to others"

That's exactly what is wrong with it. Using their methods. As I say, in locations where it is obviously satirical it works, but in public it just looks like you're doing what "they" do i.e. deliberately bullshitting.
Maybe I'm over-reacting, but if that was my reaction as a card-carrying shit-slimer, then perhaps a fence-sitter might be turned off. Shit, sounds like I'm an accommodationist!

Ah, but mocking them by turning the same criticisms they have made of SlymePitters – and fellow travellers – back against them? Seems to be a case of highlighting their hypocrisy, a case of “hoist by your own petard” ....

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

John Greg wrote:Badger said:

Yes, I see your point, but I feel that some folks may be stepping over the line and rather than just pointing out the hypocrisy of FfTB's ludicrous and ever-chaning stance about humour, have decided to adopt the FfTB tactic. And that's just all sorts of fail.

Mind you, I could be wrong about Slyme People's reactions to the pic and their reasons for pointing it out.
I see where you're coming from. I tend to take things posted here as more humorous, like a private joke. If it was posted elsewhere, I'd be more concerned.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Yeah crommunist didn't appreciate me rewording a tweet for him on twitter earlier. Seriously, i just fixed it for him, ya know his buddies are big on that..... But he didn't get it, no didn't get it at all. Humour i guess sometimes you have to buy it.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

That picture of Queen Bee is kind of funny. No one of any serious intelligence would think that it is actually calling Twitson a racist. Remember folks, as well as attacking Baboon lies and hypocrisy, we also like to have a laugh, mock and satirise.

I am wondering what the Baboons would make of a similar picture with someone they didn't like instead of Queen Bee. Now, they WOULD be racist.

:D

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Badger3k wrote:
I see where you're coming from. I tend to take things posted here as more humorous, like a private joke. If it was posted elsewhere, I'd be more concerned.
Yep, agreed. Sometimes it gets serious, but mostly I think (and correct me if I'm wrong), we are all here for the Lulz. RW's pic was most probably her being sarcastic, but try imagining what the reaction would have been from FTBers if it was one of us in this pic.

Franc did what he does best: mirror.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

TL;DR: What Tuvok just said.

Munkhaus

Post by Munkhaus »

Steersman wrote:
Munkhaus wrote:

Ah, but mocking them by turning the same criticisms they have made of SlymePitters – and fellow travellers – back against them? Seems to be a case of highlighting their hypocrisy, a case of “hoist by your own petard” ....

Bah. "They did so I did..." Where do you draw the line with that justification?
Hoist by your own Picard. (Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra)

cunt

Post by cunt »

Yes well anyway the most important thing at this point is that the thread gets to page 69, which is a sex number.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Munkhaus wrote:

Thing is, we are not being serious. They seem to be, though...

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

I get what you're saying about fencesitters Munk.

My problem is i don't give a shit what they think, i'm not on a crusade to save the atheist movement from the fuckwits, i'm not actually interested in trying to convince the sheeple that they are being duped and fed false gods and dogma (i'm refering to the pz cult not xtianity here). Hypocracy, lies, deceit, and stupiditiy do genuinely piss me off, but i'm laughing at it, i find the a/s movement absolutely absurd in its idiocy, and how it is infested with fuckwits who have absolutely no sense of reality whatsoever, nevermind the overly dominant american centric crap. if someone gets awakened from their blind stupor because of the lulz then great. But it isnt my job to save them.

I'm a horrible horrible person, and the movement doesn't need me :D

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Steersman wrote:
Dilurk wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:36 pm
Steersman wrote:
Dilurk wrote:BTW. You are right about your assessment of the last YT video Cris did, up to a point.
Well, I’m glad you concede that much – you might point that out to Scented Nectar.
I have been known to be wrong on occasion. I still believe the video would have been better had it been done when emotions about the DMCA nonsense were not so high. SN can make up her own mind.
Likewise about being wrong – sometimes I marvel that I haven’t wound up – yet – as a “Darwin Awards” statistic. But sometimes you have to roll the dice, call them as you see them, let the chips fall where they may, etc. Trick is not to double down on a bad hand afterwards – not always easy to do, of course, as we tend to wind up investing too much of ourselves in an idea or position and fail to see when it is no longer tenable – debacle at Stalingrad sort of thing.

As for the SN reference that was more a to-whom-it-may-concern message [much like your “embroider” reference, I might add ... ;-) ], rather than a request that you actually do anything about it yourself. A way of pointing out that if a regular here, someone with some “street-creds”, can see some justification in the argument then maybe it is worth a second look.
I try to look at all sides, if credible. I once made the mistake of picking up "I don't believe in atheists" by Chris Hedges in a bookstore once. I thought perhaps I should read the enemy so to speak. I could not manage more than a few pages and as I did not want to have to pay for the book because I had thrown it across the room, I put it back down. Gently.
I think reading an article by Jean Kazez would help you see where I come from. She is a much better writer than I will ever be.
Interesting article and good points, although it seems her credibility here is suffering somewhat – ah, the vicissitudes of fashion .... But I know what you mean about the “better writer” thing; frustrating at times that fashioning a post can be so tedious and time consuming. Practice and perfection and all that ....
Learn to sit on ones hands. A lot. That's my problem with twitter. It is way too easy to dash off a note when angry.
I will give you the benefit of the doubt, despite how angry your words appear to me.

Sorry if they came across that way, particularly as Sacha seemed to see some of them the same way, so maybe I was letting my anger,
Note I goofed by not making it clear I was talking about the general case. I always ignore and elide angry sounding phrases. They speak to my pineal gland not my mind.
exasperation at least, get the better of me. But I think that is a good point, one I’ve tried to emphasize in other posts even if MKG is less than impressed by my formulation, about the problematic nature of anger – as someone said a while back, rage seems to be all the rage these days.
I would suggest that when you get really incensed write it up give your article full bore both barrels then save it as a draft. Come back to it in 24 hours and edit it. You'll be surprised. After a while, you can do it without the 24 hour wait.
Although one might argue that many of the people here express some serious anger, with not a little justification, at the antics of some of the FTB crowd. Anger has its uses, but it tends to be a bit of the proverbial two-edged sword. You might be interested in this recent post over at Skeptic Blogs referring to a Scientific American article on “Why Is Everyone on the Internet So Angry?”
I posted that article on here myself as I had already read it. I know the slimepit is being read by the skeptic blogs folk, but I think in this case I had read it from DC first. Not that it matters. I have been following ERVs blog for a long time, I followed the anger and disgust from the early days. I can understand the anger and the frustration. Myself? I despise bullies but I was a coward. Though I have written privately to support people bullied.
However, considering that Laden has threatened people's livelihood and I have been personally harassed and real life stalked by people from the Internet, I'd rather not here in public. I'd rather not have Laden or one of the crazier denizens of the FTB harass me.
Really a rather deplorable state of affairs that so many seem to be so ready to go off the deep end in defence of their dogma, so ready to use the end to justify the means. Maybe some justification at some point – whistle-blowing for a possible example – but when the means are frequently the antithesis of the ends the prognosis tends not to be particularly favourable. Reminds me of some “political action” against E.O. Wilson and something similar that may have been discussed here ....
I took the time to watch Cris' YT video. I would argue that any other time it would have been a reasonable video to have been made. I am seeing anger from both sides instead of logic.
I have not deprecated either Scented Nectar or CommanderTuvok's arguments at all. We are not joined at the hip.
Again, the problematic nature of anger in general. But “deprecated” was probably a poor choice of words – maybe even a “blond moment”; mea culpa and all that. What I meant was that, as indicated previously, your support for the argument tended, in effect, to discount or discredit to some extent the counter-arguments.[/quote]

Well Steersman it helps to understand the culture here and why people here are so upset. When errors are made here, they are acknowledged as people are adults here, it's really refreshing to see.

There is also one thing you have to learn about Internet Trolls and it is really simple, this is Internet 101. They are out for the Lulz as I said but they are also out for the attention. If you refuse to give them the attention for the lulz, they go away to troll somewhere else. It takes a lot of discipline to ignore them completely. Notice what happened here when we got spammed? This is something I thought Criss knew.

Demonstrate you think by coming up with cogent arguments and stop throwing simian feces about then you will earn respect.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Munkhaus wrote:
Steersman wrote:
Munkhaus wrote:

Well, you do have to point out that you’re only turning their own arguments back at them, that you aren’t seriously asserting it. Otherwise you only look as discreditable as they are ....

StueNever

Post by StueNever »

I think they're aware RW is being ironic in that picture, but they're also ironically suggesting that she's a racist for doing it anyway, because they're following the FTB and Skepchick "logic" that intent is magic. So if anything been done, said or shown can be interpreted as being prejudice or threatening then it automatically is.

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

A Fascinating History of the "C Word"

http://www.alternet.org/fascinating-history-word-cunt

I think it's hilarious they use "C Word" in the title, but the URL...

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Stue i invoke the prophet xxtina and the teachings of the great shrodinger, that proves that everyone would be justified in believing that twatson is a card carrying member of the KKK

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Seems to be the whole point of Franc's posting the pic. Come on, Munk, John and all, we've been through this for more than a year. Should be obvious!

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Dilurk wrote:
.... Demonstrate you think by coming up with cogent arguments and stop throwing simian feces about then you will earn respect.
Ah, so that’s what you think I’m doing? Not a credible argument if at the same time you say “You are right about your assessment of the last YT video Cris did, up to a point.” Pointing to specifics and providing explicit counter arguments is one thing, tarring the whole lot with the same “throwing simian feces” brush is something else again - maybe even, one might argue, a case of doing that exact same thing ....

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

While we are being ironic (isnt that always?)-- I just found out some awesome stats about the Olympics--
This year, for the first time ever--
-- Women outnumbered men on the US Olympic team
-- Every competing country had at least one female
-- There were the most women competing ever

Douchebag Ophelia Benson-- Complains there arent enough women in an activity. Get enough women? Your activity is stupid anyway.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

[youtube]OzVKG4b7EjU[/youtube]

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Steersman wrote:
Dilurk wrote:
.... Demonstrate you think by coming up with cogent arguments and stop throwing simian feces about then you will earn respect.
Ah, so that’s what you think I’m doing? Not a credible argument if at the same time you say “You are right about your assessment of the last YT video Cris did, up to a point.” Pointing to specifics and providing explicit counter arguments is one thing, tarring the whole lot with the same “throwing simian feces” brush is something else again - maybe even, one might argue, a case of doing that exact same thing ....
Pinch of salt, Steersman, pinch of salt...

You really need to get into the Pit's culture (yeah we're like a cult or something).

I won't ingraciate Abbie with a response to her lattest post, because I don't like olympics. Also, quite drunk and heading to bed, so my answer would be something like "Garrble baable feck drink girls).

SteveW68

"Me Too" guy

Post by SteveW68 »

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Dilurk wrote:
franc wrote:
Dilurk wrote:As I said, these people are clueless about the Internet.
No, you're missing the point - that is the address she offered as "proof" of innocence in the twitter item above.
No I had not missed that, I just thought it was obviously stupid. Sorry I did not make myself clear. Sally has no clue about the Internet, how it works, what denizens inhabit it and even about memes. goatse being a well known meme.
Surprising the degree to which everyone – well, a lot of people – say things like, “oh, that is a well-known X”. That might well be true, but frequently it seems equivalent to little more than known “inside a small circle of friends”. Which your example would seem to illustrate – you, and others here, might be surprised to learn that not everyone lives and breathes the Internet ....

But it seems that a more civilized approach is at least make some sort of oblique reference to links or definitions when there is the least possibility that a term might be misinterpreted ....

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Steersman wrote:
Dilurk wrote:
franc wrote:
Dilurk wrote:As I said, these people are clueless about the Internet.
No, you're missing the point - that is the address she offered as "proof" of innocence in the twitter item above.
No I had not missed that, I just thought it was obviously stupid. Sorry I did not make myself clear. Sally has no clue about the Internet, how it works, what denizens inhabit it and even about memes. goatse being a well known meme.
Surprising the degree to which everyone – well, a lot of people – say things like, “oh, that is a well-known X”. That might well be true, but frequently it seems equivalent to little more than known “inside a small circle of friends”. Which your example would seem to illustrate – you, and others here, might be surprised to learn that not everyone lives and breathes the Internet ....

But it seems that a more civilized approach is at least make some sort of oblique reference to links or definitions when there is the least possibility that a term might be misinterpreted ....
Come on! Google, use it!

cunt

Post by cunt »

ERV wrote:While we are being ironic (isnt that always?)-- I just found out some awesome stats about the Olympics--
This year, for the first time ever--
-- Women outnumbered men on the US Olympic team
-- Every competing country had at least one female
-- There were the most women competing ever

Douchebag Ophelia Benson-- Complains there arent enough women in an activity. Get enough women? Your activity is stupid anyway.
People are actually watching female sports. There's nothing for Ophelia to complain about? Well, of course the next phase would be that men are perverts for admiring female athletes.

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Re: "Me Too" guy

Post by ERV »

SteveW68 wrote:Floozie Canuck has a new post up:
http://freethoughtblogs.com/lousycanuck ... avis-roth/
“The Other Atheist” is one of Franc Hoggle / Victor Ivanoff‘s pseudonyms, by the way.
AAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA!

For the millionth time:
http://t.qkme.me/3olfwz.jpg

Dilurk

Re: "Me Too" guy

Post by Dilurk »

SteveW68 wrote:Floozie Canuck has a new post up:
http://freethoughtblogs.com/lousycanuck ... avis-roth/
StarStuff, a soulless cunt says:
August 16, 2012 at 7:40 pm ADT
I’ve wanted one of her necklaces for about a year, but I don’t usually have the money. But I will absolutely buy one once my financial aid is disbursed. I’ve had my eye on a few in particular :)
Damn you. Now my irony meter is broken.