Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
fascination

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by fascination »

Steersman wrote:
fascination wrote:
CommanderTuvok wrote:Melody has just found out just how much the wider community detests her and her sisterhood of the oppressed nonsense.

Melody Hensley is not fit to have a position at CFI.
CFI is not getting a dime from my family while she is employed there. We used to be generous donors to CFI too. I wonder if they realize how this crap is hurting them?
Not to give you a hard time or anything like that, but weren't you thinking about writing them to express your displeasure? As they say, "money talks". You might also ask them, if Justicar is correct in his podcast with Reap, about Lindsay getting $100,000 for 52 hours of work a year - nice work if you can get it ....
I also expressed my reservations about doing so Steersman. This would "out" me. I am going into academia and I don't want my name smeared. When a future employer googles my name I don't want the words "misogynist", "harasser" and "traitor" to come up. I haven't finished grad school; I haven't established myself. I have a lot to lose. They fight dirty. Call me a coward if you must but at this point in time I do not feel comfortable outing myself as a critic of the FTB dogma. I already posted about this.
BTW, I understand that you're not trying to give me a hard time. I know that it writing a letter would help. Maybe I could do so anonymously.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

rayshul wrote:...I seem to have a friend in common with Melody on facebook. Now I kinda wanna remove them.
Can't be too careful; you might get serious contamination if you don't ….

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

fascination wrote:
Steersman wrote:
fascination wrote:...
CFI is not getting a dime from my family while she is employed there. We used to be generous donors to CFI too. I wonder if they realize how this crap is hurting them?
Not to give you a hard time or anything like that, but weren't you thinking about writing them to express your displeasure? As they say, "money talks". You might also ask them, if Justicar is correct in his podcast with Reap, about Lindsay getting $100,000 for 52 hours of work a year - nice work if you can get it ....
I also expressed my reservations about doing so Steersman. This would "out" me. I am going into academia and I don't want my name smeared. When a future employer googles my name I don't want the words "misogynist", "harasser" and "traitor" to come up. I haven't finished grad school; I haven't established myself. I have a lot to lose. They fight dirty. Call me a coward if you must but at this point in time I do not feel comfortable outing myself as a critic of the FTB dogma. I already posted about this.
BTW, I understand that you're not trying to give me a hard time. I know that it writing a letter would help. Maybe I could do so anonymously.
I remember you expressing your apprehensions and I can sympathize; I’ve stuck my neck out a couple of times on related issues – prostitution for one and assisted dying for another – but I was somewhat circumspect and cautious about it. Rather unfortunate state of affairs though – more than a few similarities with the McCarthy era.

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

Barael wrote:
welch wrote: The entire performance is amazing, but Prince just kills it.
Actually that just really LOOKS good. It looks like Prince is the fucking boss of everything, but he's not doing anything special. My personal favorite is the solo on Metallica's Disposable Heroes but I'm sure people can come up with a lot of other examples that leave that in the dust.
I was going to say the same thing, but I didn't want to kill the vibe. He's a great performer and as a guitarist he has all the right Hendrix type licks down, but he's not all that inventive.

Outwest

Post by Outwest »

What's the current count on Melody s attempt to take down Wooly's video?

Here's what I think about Melody: :hankey:

JAB

Post by JAB »

rayshul wrote:...I seem to have a friend in common with Melody on facebook. Now I kinda wanna remove them.
It shouldn't be a problem for long. As soon as Melody finds out that she has a mutual friend with a slymepitter, that friend will be unfriended. If she can't figure out who it is, she'll have to unfriend everybody to be safe. Can't let a Shroedingers friend-of-a-pitter continue to inhabit her friends list and read her timeline.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

OK, if we're posting guitarists I better get mine in before the boss man comes back and complains about all the embedded videos. Here's one of the best live performances I've seen, SRV at El Mocombo in '83. Awesome.

[youtube]h5tS5V9DIG0[/youtube]

fascination

Post by fascination »

Steersman wrote: I remember you expressing your apprehensions and I can sympathize; I’ve stuck my neck out a couple of times on related issues – prostitution for one and assisted dying for another – but I was somewhat circumspect and cautious about it. Rather unfortunate state of affairs though – more than a few similarities with the McCarthy era.
Thank you, I'm appreciate your understanding. Your comparison with the McCarthy era is very apt. BTW, is it true about Hensley making $100,000 for 52 hours of work?!! Did Justicar say where he got his information? I must have missed that video of his.

fascination

Post by fascination »

Oh shit, we were supposed to be posting videos of guitarists? I screwed up. I thought we were doing classical music stuff. Oh well.

Walter Ego

Post by Walter Ego »

fascination wrote: Thank you, I'm appreciate your understanding. Your comparison with the McCarthy era is very apt. BTW, is it true about Hensley making $100,000 for 52 hours of work?!! Did Justicar say where he got his information? I must have missed that video of his.
That was a lawyer for CFI who got the $100K. The info was from the 501c filing.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

fascination wrote:Oh shit, we were supposed to be posting videos of guitarists? I screwed up. I thought we were doing classical music stuff. Oh well.
It has evolved.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Scented Nectar wrote:
masakari2012 wrote:Here's the facebook link of Melody calling for TruthAndOblivion's video to be flagged...

http://i.imgur.com/Eqdjo.png
False flagging (disagreeing and criticizing is not bullying) is a huge youtube no-no. I've downloaded my copy of Wooly's vid. If hers gets taken down, I'll mirror it on my channel and help the Streisand Effect by asking others to mirror it too.
I've downloaded a copy to mirror as well.

If it gets taken down we can go after Hensley for false flagging.
Outwest wrote:What's the current count on Melody s attempt to take down Wooly's video?
241/114

We win again.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

JAB wrote:
It shouldn't be a problem for long. As soon as Melody finds out that she has a mutual friend with a slymepitter, that friend will be unfriended. If she can't figure out who it is, she'll have to unfriend everybody to be safe. Can't let a Shroedingers friend-of-a-pitter continue to inhabit her friends list and read her timeline.
I'm not "outed" yet publically (for similar reasons to fascination, although more relating to the job-I-can't-talk-about) so I guess she can just hang out being paranoid. The fuck if I would want to go anywhere near her, it'd hurt me a lot more than her. Like her I do block/delete/ban obsessively. :)

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Re: Being John Malcovich and Atheism+

Post by John Greg »

Has anyone here seen the movie Being John Malcovich? A large portion of the movie is very remeniscent of the doolally-insane people at Atheism+.

The woman played by Cameron Diaz decides she is a man inside a woman's body because she got to spend a few minutes "as" Malcovich while he was having a shower and towelling himself off, and she got all squidgy, and another woman thinks she is in love with Diaz, but only when Diaz is Being Malcovich, so to speak. It is very funny, and relly beings to mind some of the more ludicrous psychopathy of folks like Half-a-Fish, Setar, the NuclearCannibalCommunist, et al.

fascination

Post by fascination »

Mykeru, I'm so glad that you are back to making your great videos. You were missed

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

rayshul wrote:
JAB wrote:
I'm not "outed" yet publically (for similar reasons to fascination, although more relating to the job-I-can't-talk-about) so I guess she can just hang out being paranoid. The fuck if I would want to go anywhere near her, it'd hurt me a lot more than her. Like her I do block/delete/ban obsessively. :)
Aren't we all friends with Melody on facebook under our real names? :whistle:

Gee, Melody this is getting a shitload more complicated than just putting up with some fucking jokes and criticism, isn't it?

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

John Greg wrote:Has anyone here seen the movie Being John Malcovich? A large portion of the movie is very remeniscent of the doolally-insane people at Atheism+...
It's been a long time since I saw it. I'll have to have another look.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

welch wrote:
bhoytony wrote:
Cunning Punt wrote:
I said it before. HaifischGeweint is Setar. Surely there can't be two such nutty transexual people in Vancouver?
But Setar isn't trans, he only wishes he was in order to gain more victim points. He claimed to be a victim of transphobia because he has long hair (he hasn't).
Because of long hair?

Um...is he from the past?
Haha, that reminds me of that scene from the IT Crowd.

"Are you from the PAST?!" :lol:

fascination

Post by fascination »

John Greg wrote:Has anyone here seen the movie Being John Malcovich? A large portion of the movie is very remeniscent of the doolally-insane people at Atheism+.

The woman played by Cameron Diaz decides she is a man inside a woman's body because she got to spend a few minutes "as" Malcovich while he was having a shower and towelling himself off, and she got all squidgy, and another woman thinks she is in love with Diaz, but only when Diaz is Being Malcovich, so to speak. It is very funny, and relly beings to mind some of the more ludicrous psychopathy of folks like Half-a-Fish, Setar, the NuclearCannibalCommunist, et al.
I thought Setar was a cis woman. I guess I don't spend enough time at the A+ forums :snicker:

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

fascination wrote:Mykeru, I'm so glad that you are back to making your great videos. You were missed
Thanks. :oops: Hope to get something out this weekend.

Basically, I have a new computer and three years more advanced versions of programs I used to use, so there's a learning curve. I'm still searching my mail for the registration on downloaded programs like YT Video Downloader Pro, which I just got up and running to copy Wooley's video.

The only good thing to come out of the crash is it really upped my social media game. Lot's of new networking that allows me to take part and help out in things like the Melody Hensley Incident, soon to be celebrated in song and story on why you don't posture like you're going to censor someone on the intent out of pique.

It's bad, it never works and the person who tries it just ends up looking like a shithead.

fascination

Post by fascination »

Mykeru wrote:
Thanks. :oops: Hope to get something out this weekend.

Basically, I have a new computer and three years more advanced versions of programs I used to use, so there's a learning curve. I'm still searching my mail for the registration on downloaded programs like YT Video Downloader Pro, which I just got up and running to copy Wooley's video.

The only good thing to come out of the crash is it really upped my social media game. Lot's of new networking that allows me to take part and help out in things like the Melody Hensley Incident, soon to be celebrated in song and story on why you don't posture like you're going to censor someone on the intent out of pique.

It's bad, it never works and the person who tries it just ends up looking like a shithead.
Yes, she endorsed censorship and yet there's still a bunch of idiots defending her. I am truly at a loss here. Remember Hitchens' stance on censorship?

murtzuphlus

Post by murtzuphlus »

This is my first comment here. I am one of those who liked the front page of RDnet, and when that went down the drain, went to Pharyngula for the daily dose of godless propaganda.

That was fun for a while. Coyne’s place also helped balance things. The “Wally Smith”-affair helped even more. Ophelia Benson was a hero by standing up to the Colgate Twins, and Kazez/Stangroom looked bad for supporting Mooney.

What the hell happened? I am here because – basically – I agree with you, but what the fuck is this all about? Elevatorgate? The word cunt? Watson? PZ the emperor?

Many of the current commentators of Pharyngula (and Atheism+) have opinions differing from ours, and some people will always be idiots, but I maintain we are on the same side, no?

And if you disagree, you can fuck off.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

fascination wrote:
Steersman wrote: I remember you expressing your apprehensions and I can sympathize; I’ve stuck my neck out a couple of times on related issues – prostitution for one and assisted dying for another – but I was somewhat circumspect and cautious about it. Rather unfortunate state of affairs though – more than a few similarities with the McCarthy era.
Thank you, I'm appreciate your understanding. Your comparison with the McCarthy era is very apt. BTW, is it true about Hensley making $100,000 for 52 hours of work?!! Did Justicar say where he got his information? I must have missed that video of his.
It was, I think, Ronald Lindsay of the CFI that Justicar was referring to, although Walter Ego argues it was a lawyer who received that amount. However Justicar also argued that Lindsay is a lawyer so maybe they’re one and the same. But it was in this podcast and not a YouTube video:
http://angryatheist.info/?p=962

But it’s at about the one-quarter mark in the postcast.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

bhoytony wrote:
fascination wrote:Oh shit, we were supposed to be posting videos of guitarists? I screwed up. I thought we were doing classical music stuff. Oh well.
It has evolved.
And there is also the music thread, created specifically for this...

cunt

Post by cunt »

murtzuphlus wrote:This is my first comment here. I am one of those who liked the front page of RDnet, and when that went down the drain, went to Pharyngula for the daily dose of godless propaganda.

That was fun for a while. Coyne’s place also helped balance things. The “Wally Smith”-affair helped even more. Ophelia Benson was a hero by standing up to the Colgate Twins, and Kazez/Stangroom looked bad for supporting Mooney.

What the hell happened? I am here because – basically – I agree with you, but what the fuck is this all about? Elevatorgate? The word cunt? Watson? PZ the emperor?

Many of the current commentators of Pharyngula (and Atheism+) have opinions differing from ours, and some people will always be idiots, but I maintain we are on the same side, no?

It's really about where you draw the line. When does it stop being discussion and criticism and moves towards bullying and harassment.

It's not an easy line to draw from anyone's perspective. When some teenager is being bullied over the internet I don't bitch and moan that xir bullies have every right to express their opinions, even if they don't contain threats of physical harm. I realise that bullying is a mostly psychological game that can be played out just as easily over the net as through text messages, phone calls or playground gossip.

However, if that same teenager is getting things wrong I think people have a right to address with reasoned discussion.

If i'm honest, I think that woolybumblebee vid leaned further to the former. Even if there is an assumption that adults should be able to take it.

Walter Ego

Post by Walter Ego »

Steersman wrote:
fascination wrote:
It was, I think, Ronald Lindsay of the CFI that Justicar was referring to, although Walter Ego argues it was a lawyer who received that amount. However Justicar also argued that Lindsay is a lawyer so maybe they’re one and the same. But it was in this podcast and not a YouTube video:

It was originally on You Tube. Here's Justicar's video about CFI reimbursements (cued up to the relevant segment).

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

murtzuphlus wrote:What the hell happened? I am here because – basically – I agree with you, but what the fuck is this all about? Elevatorgate? The word cunt? Watson? PZ the emperor?

No, I'm not on the same side. I'm against fucked up ideologies and dogma and crazy fuckery.

This whole thing has meant I have discovered I am a lot more happy to work with the religious than I am with atheists who hold fucked up ideas.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

So we've moved into December. The newest timetable for Anita Sarkeesian's project is "late fall/early winter", so by US standards, that should be about now. Let's see how that goes. For reference, here's the comment section for backers only and the tension is high and many people have voiced their disappointment;

Interestingly, an FTB regular reared his ugly head on there (or is that she?) and to no surprise to anyone who's paid attention, he's (or she's) being a condescending douchecanoe, as usual.

murtzuphlus

Post by murtzuphlus »

Cunt,

I fully accept there is a line somewhere. Do I understand you correctly if I say that that the line has been been crossed for woolybumblebee but not in respect of e.g. Watson or Surly Amy?

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Can someone journalisty write an article on this? Even if you don't want to do it under your name, etc. I can probably organise somewhere for it to be published but yeah, I don't know enough and I'm no longer a journalist so I can't do that myself.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

fascination wrote: I also expressed my reservations about doing so Steersman. This would "out" me. I am going into academia and I don't want my name smeared. When a future employer googles my name I don't want the words "misogynist", "harasser" and "traitor" to come up. I haven't finished grad school; I haven't established myself. I have a lot to lose. They fight dirty. Call me a coward if you must but at this point in time I do not feel comfortable outing myself as a critic of the FTB dogma. I already posted about this.
Oh, but don't you know? It's us trying to silence and scare them!

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

murtzuphlus wrote:This is my first comment here. I am one of those who liked the front page of RDnet, and when that went down the drain, went to Pharyngula for the daily dose of godless propaganda.
Welcome aboard.
…. What the hell happened? I am here because – basically – I agree with you, but what the fuck is this all about? Elevatorgate? The word cunt? Watson? PZ the emperor?
You might want to take a look at the Phawrongula Wiki which should fill in some of the blanks.
Technically yes; practically much the same way that Muslims are on the “same side” as Christians in believing in an Abrahamic deity.
Nice chip on your shoulder there – off-the-shelf or custom made?

murtzuphlus

Post by murtzuphlus »

Rayshul,

I can appreciate that. But then you assume "fucked up ideologies and dogma and crazy fuckery". Do you really think that is true?

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Hey All

Thanks for clicking through on the link to buy stuff on Amazon.com. Since I put the link up I've been making about enough in commission to pay for the ISP hosting (about $7 per month). Anything that comes in above that, I will split 50/50 with Abbie.

Keep up the good work!

Regarding the UK, France, and Canada links, I need to go through a signup process for them before I can get the associates tag set up. I hope to find time for that this weekend, but there's been a backlog of stuff for me to do that built up while I was in Las Vegas for the last three days.

Lsuoma

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Steersman wrote:
murtzuphlus wrote:And if you disagree, you can fuck off.
Nice chip on your shoulder there – off-the-shelf or custom made?
I think it's a reference to Dawkins.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Lsuoma: Rock on! If I ever need to buy anything off Amazon, I'll make sure to peruse that link.

cunt

Post by cunt »

murtzuphlus wrote:Cunt,

I fully accept there is a line somewhere. Do I understand you correctly if I say that that the line has been been crossed for woolybumblebee but not in respect of e.g. Watson or Surly Amy?
I don't think people should be defending that video as if it's a righteous stand against points that Hensley may or may not have made. I don't think that by trying to flag it she's necessarily just afraid of "criticism" as a noble concept.

It's not that the video contained some bomb-shell revelations she wants covered up. She just doesn't like people calling her names on the internet.

murtzuphlus

Post by murtzuphlus »

Steersman,

I never thought I would have the honour of responding to you...

1. Thanks
2. I know far more than I would like to...
3. Nice one. Practically we are enemies?
4. Just a rude ending. Sorry.

mikelf

Post by mikelf »

bhoytony wrote:OK, if we're posting guitarists I better get mine in before the boss man comes back and complains about all the embedded videos. Here's one of the best live performances I've seen, SRV at El Mocombo in '83. Awesome.
I never had the chance to seem him live, but I do remember wearing out a cassette of "Texas Flood" the summer of 1983. It was one of probably two albums that completely blew me away. The other being "Reckoning" by R.E.M.

murtzuphlus

Post by murtzuphlus »

Cunt,

I apologise. I have not paid enough attention to comment on the video issue.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

In other news (I can only take this in small doses BTW) since the topic of the unprivileged keeps coming up.

Anyway, for those of us not busy waving their white cock pussy privileged authority around and generally coming in last in the oppression Olympics I hereby present to you why I suspect that Setar is so desperate.

Can there be any doubt that Setar is not opressed because he is male and white? As a matter of fact he is this >.< close to being tossed into the Slymepit for his inherent whiteness and maleness and he knows it. Hence his desperate claims to be fag/tranny bashed and Dog knows what else he is going to come up with next.

http://www.womanist-musings.com/2011/04 ... ining.html
So White woman's privilege is oppression Olympics and it is semantics to order the term this way. The wording of this phrase only matters to White women because they have a history of failing to take ownership of their privilege, and it benefits them to be seen as being outside of the forces of oppression.
I would love to be able to sing kumbaya, as I roast marshmallows in front of a campfire, but the fact remains, not all women are constructed the same - divisions already exist. I wish that White women would catch on to the fact that the whole "this is divisive meme" that they like to toss out whenever WOC talk about racism only serves to prove our point.
As much as we have all been indoctrinated to believe that men and women are the same, the truth of the matter is that we live in a gender binary that is enforced daily. This also means that as women, we have the power and the tendency to react in specific ways towards oppression. This is not to say that there are those outside of these narrowly defined roles, but because of how difficult it is to decolonize one's mind, more people choose to play the game rather than abstain. Let's be clear, I don't see White men clutching pearls and purses, cramming themselves into elevators out of fear of the dangerous violent Black folk, etc and etc. These are strictly racist behaviours performed by, say it with me folks, WHITE WOMEN.
I think I would like this opression game a bit more if it was accessable enough so that everyone could play. But is sure is entertaining. I was barking and howling with laughter while I read the whole thing. Could be the full moon though.

cunt

Post by cunt »

Its just something i've been thinking about, but that video and the responses from both sides are a good example. It it weren't 2 in the morning here I might be able to explain it better.

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

Pitchguest wrote:So we've moved into December. The newest timetable for Anita Sarkeesian's project is "late fall/early winter", so by US standards, that should be about now. Let's see how that goes. For reference, here's the comment section for backers only and the tension is high and many people have voiced their disappointment;

Interestingly, an FTB regular reared his ugly head on there (or is that she?) and to no surprise to anyone who's paid attention, he's (or she's) being a condescending douchecanoe, as usual.

Goddamn what a fucking idiot. EVERYFUCKINGTHING is misogyny.

LeftSidePositive_idiot.jpg
http://atheiststoday.com/images/LeftSid ... _idiot.jpg

a white knight has no fucking sex you fucking retarded cunt.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!!!

That's not Bach, but look at that great rendition of "My guitar gently weeps" on a Ukulele. Old video, so I guess most of you must have seen it...
Awesome! George Harrison was one of my favorite songwriters too. In general I'm not much of a celebrity death-wailer, but the loss of several musicians did cut pretty deeply. Harrison's death hurt the most (favorite Beatle and all that), next Lennon, then Joe Strummer, then Jerry Garcia (though his death wasn't much of a surprise). Syd Barrett had been out of Pink Floyd for many years when he died, and his death was just sad in terms of human suffering/mental illness.

Another awesome alternative string instrument performance - the Yoshida Brothers jamming on the shamisen.

[youtube]x_CzD0GBD-4[/youtube]

fascination

Post by fascination »

What exactly is your complaint with this forum? I'm not quite understanding it. Remember too that we have differing opinions on here also.

fascination

Post by fascination »

What I meant by differing opinions is that we don't all think alike on these issues.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Walter Ego wrote:
Steersman wrote:
fascination wrote:
... Thank you, I appreciate your understanding. Your comparison with the McCarthy era is very apt. BTW, is it true about Hensley making $100,000 for 52 hours of work?!! Did Justicar say where he got his information? I must have missed that video of his.

It was originally on You Tube. Here's Justicar's video about CFI reimbursements (cued up to the relevant segment).

Interesting – thanks for the link and the specific time. I notice on the video that you commented there 3 or 4 weeks ago – did you ever follow up on the suggestion to look into the details? The reason I ask is that I couldn’t find any 501 stuff on the CFI site, although I did find a 990 document which provides, apparently, the same information, specifically that Lindsay was paid $107,000 for 52 hours of work per year [Section VII-A, page 7].

However, that seems to be based on filling in a 1.00 in column (B) – average hours per week worked. If that is a misprint or an error then that might let them off the hook – otherwise Justicar’s criticisms of the CFI are going to hold quite a bit of water ….

murtzuphlus

Post by murtzuphlus »

fascination,

I am not complaining about this forum. If I was, I would not be here. I am probably laughing at the same things you are.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Basically, I'm here for the internetz drama because it's fucking hilarious.

[youtube]0vT0dgIZN1o[/youtube]

fascination

Post by fascination »

murtzuphlus wrote:fascination,

I am not complaining about this forum. If I was, I would not be here. I am probably laughing at the same things you are.
Oh, apologies then. I misunderstood your post.

Throbbing Abraham

Post by Throbbing Abraham »

It is difficult to keep up on everything here, since I have been busy going to the dry cleaners and checking my email, so I apologize if this link has already been posted.

I would love to be a fly on the wall at this lunch, just to watch the body language. :popcorn:

http://freethoughtalliance.org.au/2012/ ... ca-watson/

murtzuphlus

Post by murtzuphlus »

fascination,

No need to apologise, I am still questioning the need to make fun of "Twatson" and the "Prune". Do you find it funny?

Post by Guest »

Ha ha ha!

"skeptic heavyweights DJ Grothe and Rebecca Watson"

I can picture the heavyweight bout.

A flea (Watson) crawls up an elephant's (Grothe's) leg with the intention of rape.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Lsuoma, is it at all possible to put a "Want to help support The Slyme Pit" link for Chapters, for us Canadians?

The main reason I ask is, I do not, and cannot, for various reasons, use Amazon for online purchases. However, I can and frequently do use Chapters for online book ordering, and I spend, on average about $2500.00 per year on orders from Chapters, so that might end up sending a few coins your and Abbie's way.

I imagine, seeing as there are several Canadians onboard, that that might be a good move.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

You know, apropos of more or less nothing, I really have to wonder what Watson's Imelda Marcos style obsession with eyeware is. I mean really, it is quite obscene. The amount of money she spends annually on glasses could probably feed several dozen homeless people for a year. But Oh Noes, that will never happen.

sacha

Post by sacha »

Lost Moose wrote: Dammit, the clicking of the keyboard just now triggered the cat to have a seizure. Sometimes he'll flinch with every keystroke, then go into a panic attack, and if I can't calm him quickly enough, he's foaming at the mouth, peeing himself. I did have some valium for him this time, so it was shorter and not as intense.

poor kitty.

Throbbing Abraham

Post by Throbbing Abraham »

I didn't know that I was logged out.

I take full credit for the above characterization of Watson as a rapist flea.

tachikoma

Post by tachikoma »

ERV wrote:I was bopping around looking for different info on teh blag and found this old post of mine.

http://scienceblogs.com/erv/2010/11/26/ ... entists-2/

lols.
That's why I'm a little bewildered by all the people saying "where's all this SJW shit coming from, it's totally new to me!" It's been right there in the old sciblogs by Zuska and Isis and their ilk.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

cunt wrote:

Its just something i've been thinking about, but that video and the responses from both sides are a good example. It it weren't 2 in the morning here I might be able to explain it better.
Good points. I was sort of wondering about that video of WBB’s and the responses to it as well. While I think she makes some good points – notably her shots at feminism even if I think she should have emphasized that it was only some versions of feminism that she was critical of, I’m not sure that it is wise or appropriate to go as far as suggesting or arguing that Hensley should be removed from her position with the CFI – even though I was sort of leaning that way; kind of gets into a case of “the pot calling the kettle black” in the context of the situation with Justin Vacula and the SCA.

However, I think Justicar’s recent video (posted here) that referenced that one by WBB emphasized a problematic aspect of Hensley’s activities. More specifically, Justicar referred to a paper by Paula Kirby – Sisterhood of the Oppressed – which he called “deliciously ironic” and which described pretty much the same type of fascistic behaviour – not to put too fine a point on it:
Kirby wrote:Finally, and delightfully ironically (given that later in the day we had people objecting to the "femistasi" term), Saturday saw someone on Twitter being harassed by one of the Sisterhood for having had the temerity to simply follow the decidedly unapproved @AngrySkepchick. Not even your "Follow" lists are now safe from the prying eyes of the Sisters, and be sure you will be subject to interrogation if your choices appear to deviate from the required standard! What fun Orwell could have had with that! (I see the person concerned has since posted saying she's distancing herself from @AngrySkepchick: fair enough, her Twitter feed is her choice; but it doesn't alter the fact that one of the Sisterhood felt the right to interfere in it.)
While Hensley is certainly entitled to pare down her Twitter friend list as she thinks appropriate, particularly if it is related to her personal time, categorical deletions just because some of her “friends” might happen to be “friends” with those who are critical of her or some of her other friends looks just a shade irrational and vindictive. Not particularly consistent with secularism and skepticism and freethought.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

tachikoma wrote:
ERV wrote:I was bopping around looking for different info on teh blag and found this old post of mine.

http://scienceblogs.com/erv/2010/11/26/ ... entists-2/

lols.
That's why I'm a little bewildered by all the people saying "where's all this SJW shit coming from, it's totally new to me!" It's been right there in the old sciblogs by Zuska and Isis and their ilk.
You - and others - were part of the first wave storming that particular beachhead; there have been a few other waves since then, not all of whom are likely to be familiar with prior hand-to-hand combat. So to speak ...