Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
Rystefn

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by Rystefn »

Steersman wrote:While I’m certainly not vegetarian myself, I’m at least sympathetic to the arguments that eating meat is highly problematic for society in a number of areas. For one thing, with some 10 billion animals slaughtered every year in North America that represents some serious environmental stresses – not just from the waste but from the fact that raising animals tends to be less efficient than consuming directly the grains on which they are raised.
That overlooks the obvious fact that a great deal of land that can't be used for farming can be used for ranching. Maybe my worldview is just warped from growing up in Texas, but the idea of using perfectly good farmland to grow crops to feed to cows that would have been happier grazing on otherwise useless scrubland boggles my fucking mind. More than that, though, the fact that most people don't seem to be aware that this is a thing confuses the shit out of me.

Where I'm from, you rent cows and use them as lawnmowers. Telling me that I should convert to vegetarianism because I'm better off eating the food they feed to cows is like telling me I should convert to walking because I'm better off drinking the gasoline than putting it in the car.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

ERV wrote:(bragging on OKC Atheists again)

So we have our elections coming up in December.

I wont be voting.

Because all of the candidates for all of the positions are extremely qualified, enthusiastic, fantastic people. I want them all to win. I dont want anyone to lose.

We have a glut of awesomeness. A glut. And Im too busy not writing my dissertation to fully appreciate them and participate in everything. *sigh*
Jenny McBoobwobble, hacking ERV's account is hilarious, but please give it back.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Steersman wrote:While I’m certainly not vegetarian myself, I’m at least sympathetic to the arguments that eating meat is highly problematic for society in a number of areas. For one thing, with some 10 billion animals slaughtered every year in North America that represents some serious environmental stresses – not just from the waste but from the fact that raising animals tends to be less efficient than consuming directly the grains on which they are raised. And I’ve had discussions with several animal rights activists who have argued, I think – from recollection, that animal proteins tend to cause more problems in digestion – not the most healthy way to get one’s proteins.
Color me skeptical about the part in bold.

Does anyone here know of any evidence that animal proteins "cause more problems in digestion"?

Are animal proteins substantially different from plant proteins in a way that adversely affects human digestion?

Or is it just that meat is lower in fiber & water than plant-based foods tend to be, so a diet high in meat can be more constipating?

Is a plant-based diet actually less likely to cause adverse effects on digestion? (Gluten intolerance? Flatulence?)

Animal proteins are more "complete", in terms of most animal sources containing the amino acids essential for us; gelatin is an exception. Association with fat, and lack of fiber, are probably the main reasons one might consider animal sources of protein "not the most healthy" source - speaking here simply about the direct effects on health, ignoring for this purpose the broader environmental, etc, effects. Animal sources offer other benefits that plants are weak on, for example iron is much better absorbed from animal sources, and vitamin B12 is absent in most plant-based foods.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Ah, so I meant to close with: So a rounded diet (lots of plants, but also some judicious amount of animal-based foods) is probably the healthiest for people, other than those who are aware of what a vegan diet lacks (balance in amino acids unless one pays attention, iron, and B12) and who pay attention to ingesting those components (presumably from vegan sources). Vegan diet isn't appropriate IMO for the general population.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Anyone interested in vegetarianism should read The Vegetarian Myth by Lierre Keith.

She's an ex-vegan who systematically rebuts the arguments against consuming animals, under the premises of Environmental VEgetarianism, Moral Vegetarianism, and Healthful Vegetarianism.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

katamari Damassi wrote:Anyone interested in vegetarianism should read The Vegetarian Myth by Lierre Keith.

She's an ex-vegan who systematically rebuts the arguments against consuming animals, under the premises of Environmental VEgetarianism, Moral Vegetarianism, and Healthful Vegetarianism.
Ah so! I see! Very enlightening!

http://www.dysir.com/dysir/d/file/weird ... 491990.jpg

sacha

Post by sacha »

Animal rights, vegetarianism/veganism, what PETA has accomplished or not, whether "animal rights" = whackjobs, but "animal welfare" does not, how meat is the best source of protein, how veganism is unhealthy no matter what, and books that are full of fallacies about vegetarianism... someone let me know when the fucking subject has changed.

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

BarnOwl wrote:Nonsense. In the US, federal government agencies have done far more to reduce cruelty to animals in each of the circumstances you mention. The Animal Welfare Actdates to 1966, over a decade before PETA was founded. The use of animals in research is regulated and monitored by several agencies, with control over housing, feeding, social interactions, surgical procedures, and use of pharmacological agents for all vertebrate species used in research. The FDA supervises initiatives to develop alternatives to whole-animal testing of cosmetics, and the EPA and the Clean Water Act regulate CAFOs, which are not only cruel to the animals housed therein, but also have negative effects on human health, through overuse of antibiotics and contamination of groundwater.
Damn you noelplum99! My immediate thought when reading this post:
I have just emailed wikipedia where i dredged the PETA info up and they say they will amend the table to include your 'IACUC'.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

CommanderTuvok wrote:Did anybody catch David Silverman's "interview" with Bill O'Reilly?

O'Reilly was acting even more of a wankstain than usual, and ended up calling Silverman a "fascist" as his frustration grew and grew.
The one on here? - http://www.fireandreamitchell.com/2012/ ... man-video/.

Incidentally, I'm not even going to bother with the Fry meme to say that I'm not sure whether the blogger is nuts or just an elaborate Poe.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

This little comic was just too good not to repost here:

http://poorlydrawnlines.com/wp-content/ ... Hippo1.jpg

Hahaha (also, relevant, bitch ass)

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

sacha wrote:Animal rights, vegetarianism/veganism, what PETA has accomplished or not, whether "animal rights" = whackjobs, but "animal welfare" does not, how meat is the best source of protein, how veganism is unhealthy no matter what, and books that are full of fallacies about vegetarianism... someone let me know when the fucking subject has changed.
I freely admit I lose my shit re: PETA/HSUS/etc.

I fully support local shelters and the city shelters, but PETA/HSUSs position on pits has virtually cemented my stance against them, no matter what. I understand that some do not have that emotional reaction to pits, and can overlook it for, what they view to be, as important common goals. I prefer to support those common goals through alternative means.

I also completely respect others decisions to be vegans or vegetarians. I was a vegetarian for +10 years. Unfortunately, I developed severe anemia some time ago, that even with supplements and eating red meat once a week-to-every-other week I am still battling. I genuinely do not like meat, even outside of the ethical implications, and would prefer to never eat it, so I view it more as a medicine than a food prouct. I have my personal reasons for my diet, others do too. Thats fine. But when groups like HSUS use the suffering of house pets to attempt to raise money for political agendas that are a blatant attempt to force others to partake in their personal dietary choices, while helping *no* house pets, that is a different kettle of fish.

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:

So we have our elections coming up in December.

I wont be voting.

Because all of the candidates for all of the positions are extremely qualified, enthusiastic, fantastic people. I want them all to win. I dont want anyone to lose.

We have a glut of awesomeness. A glut. And Im too busy not writing my dissertation to fully appreciate them and participate in everything. *sigh*
Jenny McBoobwobble, hacking ERV's account is hilarious, but please give it back.
My excuse for not writing today is I had a terrible migraine :( Four pills of meds + advil + Benadryl, +10 hours and I feel better.

Anyone here with migraine pro-tips, Id welcome them. Since they switched my BC a while back, they have increased in intensity + some 'bonus' migraines (no headache, all the side-effects like nausea, vertigo, sensitivity, except EXTREME, wtf?) My current pills (fiorinal) arent cutting it anymore. Thinking about asking for the serotonin ones-- anyone here have experience with them? Can I take an Imitrex and still work (Im too afraid to take a barbiturate at work, which means I wait till I get home, which means the pain increases until I can get home)?

sacha

Post by sacha »

ERV wrote: I fully support local shelters and the city shelters, but PETA/HSUSs position on pits has virtually cemented my stance against them, no matter what. I understand that some do not have that emotional reaction to pits, and can overlook it for, what they view to be, as important common goals. I prefer to support those common goals through alternative means.
I agree. My time and support do not go near either of those organisations. Yes, PETA can be fucking insane, and the lunatic fringe, that does not mean they have not accomplished anything.
ERV wrote:I also completely respect others decisions to be vegans or vegetarians. I was a vegetarian for +10 years. Unfortunately, I developed severe anemia some time ago, that even with supplements and eating red meat once a week-to-every-other week I am still battling. I genuinely do not like meat, even outside of the ethical implications, and would prefer to never eat it, so I view it more as a medicine than a food prouct. I have my personal reasons for my diet, others do too. Thats fine. But when groups like HSUS use the suffering of house pets to attempt to raise money for political agendas that are a blatant attempt to force others to partake in their personal dietary choices, while helping *no* house pets, that is a different kettle of fish.
again, I agree.

petal

Post by petal »

Outwest wrote:
I used to smoke a pipe. Been thinking about it recently. Much better than cigars/ cigarettes. Smoother tobacco experience.
Only smoke the occasional cigar nowadays. Used to smoke a pack a day of ciggies. Would smoke a pipe if the substance I wish to smoke were legal. Not worth risking my job for it, though.

sacha

Post by sacha »

no explanation necessary:
whining.jpg
(55.16 KiB) Downloaded 198 times

sacha

Post by sacha »

petal wrote:
Outwest wrote:
I used to smoke a pipe. Been thinking about it recently. Much better than cigars/ cigarettes. Smoother tobacco experience.
Only smoke the occasional cigar nowadays. Used to smoke a pack a day of ciggies. Would smoke a pipe if the substance I wish to smoke were legal. Not worth risking my job for it, though.
crack?

welch

Post by welch »

ERV wrote:
Called it.

Assuming JREF wanted nothing to do with PETA, gave her an ultimatum, she chose PETA.

Again, what a shame. Think of all the repulsive totally useless (if not counter-productive) tactics JREF could have learned from PETA! Oh well, their loss, CFIs gain.

*puke*

Also, LOL @ the Women in Secularism icon being a pink circle. I cant figure out whether they are obsessed with penises/vaginii in a, like, childish manner, or like in a repressed Christian Republican homosexual manner.

huh.
Hey, Watson will be there a along with an evolutionary psychologist. This has potential

petal

Post by petal »

sacha wrote:
petal wrote:
Outwest wrote:
crack?
marijuana. random piss tests at work. loose my job even if I smoke once a month. Never tried crack. Hate "uppers." Cigarettes make my throat sore anymore.

sacha

Post by sacha »

is Jenny reading the pit?

sacha

Post by sacha »

petal wrote:
marijuana. random piss tests at work. loose my job even if I smoke once a month. Never tried crack. Hate "uppers." Cigarettes make my throat sore anymore.
sarcasm, luv

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

sacha wrote:no explanation necessary:
whining.jpg
lol his brain is damaged

hahahahaha

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Tigzy wrote:I like EG's blog. Seems a little mental at times, but I usually get a laff from it. And it pisses the blue haired glob and the blue veined cheese off no end, which makes it worthwhile in my book.
I've never found him offensive either - he's silly but doesn't seem to take any of it too seriously, and likes cataloguing a lot of conversations which is really useful. The fact they're so upset by him is kind of funny. I agree with people who think he's a kid, the more I read his blog and the things he's not aware of... feels like he's just bored at home and watching a bunch of silly people throw their shit at each other and scream.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

sacha wrote:Indeed the double standard is what infuriates me as well. Sexism against men is ubiquitous in the US media, and no one bats an eye, reverse the exact same scenario and they would be coming with their pitchforks. The MRAs are politely whispering in comparison, that is why when someone like Wooly Bumblebee uploads a video and shows the sexism and hypocrisy of the feminists, there is absolutely no need to "show the other side" the point is that all one has to do is reverse the sexism in their minds and it's clear, and it is also more powerful that way.
Last comment as I read what I missed during the day...

The double standard fucks me off too. I don't actually have a problem with rude t-shirts and offensive shit because, whatever, everyone's got a right to wear what they wanna wear, I'm not going to complain. But if you're shitting on stuff for being anti women you need to recognise (girlfriend!) that there's a shit ton of anti male shit out there.

I find I have much more patience for people who are at least consistent in their views, which is why I have people of all religions and political backgrounds on my twitter friendslist, but I seriously fucking haemmorrage social justice fucks.

Also, Lost control, wishing you the best and your girl.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Rystefn wrote:
Steersman wrote:While I’m certainly not vegetarian myself, I’m at least sympathetic to the arguments that eating meat is highly problematic for society in a number of areas. For one thing, with some 10 billion animals slaughtered every year in North America that represents some serious environmental stresses – not just from the waste but from the fact that raising animals tends to be less efficient than consuming directly the grains on which they are raised.
That overlooks the obvious fact that a great deal of land that can't be used for farming can be used for ranching.
Yes, I quite agree with you that at least cattle seem to use land and vegetation on it that is generally unsuitable for other uses. However that apparently only represents about 60% of the final weight of at least cattle; they obtain the balance at feedlots which are heavily dependent on grains:
Prior to entering a feedlot, cattle spend most of their life grazing on rangeland or on immature fields of grain such as green wheat pasture. Once cattle obtain an entry-level weight, about 650 pounds (300 kg), they are transferred to a feedlot to be fed a specialized diet which consists of corn byproducts (derived from ethanol production), barley, and other grains as well as alfalfa, cottonseed meal, and minerals. ….

In a typical feedlot, a cow's diet is roughly 95% grain. High-grain diets lower the pH in the animals' rumen. Due to the stressors of these conditions, antibiotics become necessary to be given to the animal. ….

Feedlot diets are usually very dense in food energy, to encourage the deposition of fat (known as marbling in butchered meat) in the animal's muscles. This fat is desirable to consumers, as it contributes to flavor and tenderness. The animal may gain an additional 400 pounds (180 kg) during its 3–4 months in the feedlot. ….
In addition, as mentioned, livestock seems to contribute very significantly to the generation of green-house gases that, of course, contribute to the global warming that BarnOwl referred to and suggested PETA weren’t much interested in [which may be true]. But from a WorldWatch paper on Livestock and Climate Change:
Whenever the causes of climate change are discussed, fossil fuels top the list.Oil, natural gas, and especially coal are indeed major sources of human-caused emissions of carbon dioxide (CO2) and other greenhouse gases (GHGs). But we believe that the life cycle and supply chain of domesticated animals raised for food have been vastly underestimated as a source of GHGs, and in fact account for at least half of all human-caused GHGs. If this argument is right, it implies that replacing livestock
products with better alternatives would be the best strategy for reversing climate change. In fact, this approach would have far more rapid effects on GHG emissions and their atmospheric concentrations—and thus on the rate the climate is warming—than actions to replace fossil fuels with renewable energy.

Livestock are already well-known to contribute to GHG emissions. Livestock’s Long Shadow, the widely-cited 2006 report by the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), estimates that 7,516 million metric tons per year of CO2 equivalents (CO2e), or 18 percent of annual
worldwide GHG emissions, are attributable to cattle, buffalo, sheep, goats, camels, horses, pigs, and poultry.
But a complex question and issue. As someone said, with only a small amount of hyperbole, when you go to change something you find it connected to everything else in the universe.

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn »

Yup, so you cut the feedlot nonsense, and eat proper, lean meats. If you look, you can find it, even here, thousands of miles from all that ideal Texas ranch land. You cut more GHG emissions by eating local free-range meat than by going veggie and importing exotics to replace what you're missing from cutting out meat.

petal

Post by petal »

sacha wrote:
petal wrote:
sarcasm, luv
makes me quiver when you call me that <<quiver>> or maby that's the shakes from all the crank i've smoked. Or mebbe the glue. Too many brain cells gone to an early grave to tell. Still....."luv" Now I have som'fin to wank about before bedtime. Thanks, Sacha.

mordacious1

Migraines

Post by mordacious1 »

Erv...I use Propranolol for the occasional migraine, works great. It's a Beta blocker so it interacts with almost all drugs, but it doesn't seem to affect me and I take a lot of stuff. It also has the side effect of "vivid dreams" which are not only cool, but you remember them.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Skep tickle wrote:
Steersman wrote:While I’m certainly not vegetarian myself, I’m at least sympathetic to the arguments that eating meat is highly problematic for society in a number of areas. For one thing, with some 10 billion animals slaughtered every year in North America that represents some serious environmental stresses – not just from the waste but from the fact that raising animals tends to be less efficient than consuming directly the grains on which they are raised. And I’ve had discussions with several animal rights activists who have argued, I think – from recollection, that animal proteins tend to cause more problems in digestion – not the most healthy way to get one’s proteins.
Color me skeptical about the part in bold.

Does anyone here know of any evidence that animal proteins "cause more problems in digestion"?

Are animal proteins substantially different from plant proteins in a way that adversely affects human digestion?
Good questions to which I don’t know that I have many answers. And I probably can stand corrected as far as the “animal proteins” comment is concerned – proteins are protein regardless of where they come from, but the question is what else comes along with them. Which is sort of what I had in mind and on which point you might take a look at this document. Maybe a little bit biased but seems like some credible information. For instance there’s a table at the bottom that lists the protein contents for various meats and grains with soybeans being at the top followed by pork. But what is particularly interesting are the relative amounts of cholesterol, various minerals, fats, fibrer and energy.

There are also some additional links in the document, some of which are dead (new ones below), but several of them are from various medical organizations touting the benefits of vegetarian diets:

The Protein Myth; Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine:
The average American diet contains meat and dairy products. As a result, it is often too high in protein. This can lead to a number of serious health problems:

â– Kidney Disease: When people eat too much protein, they take in more nitrogen than they need. This places a strain on the kidneys, which must expel the extra nitrogen through urine. People with kidney disease are encouraged to eat low-protein diets. Such a diet reduces the excess levels of nitrogen and can also help prevent kidney disease.

â– Cancer: Although fat is the dietary substance most often singled out for increasing cancer risk, protein also plays a role. Populations who eat meat regularly are at increased risk for colon cancer, and researchers believe that the fat, protein, natural carcinogens, and absence of fiber in meat all play roles. The 1997 report of the World Cancer Research Fund and American Institute for Cancer Research, Food, Nutrition, and the Prevention of Cancer, noted that meaty, high-protein diets were linked with some types of cancer.

â– Osteoporosis and Kidney Stones: Diets that are rich in animal protein cause people to excrete more calcium than normal through their kidneys and increase the risk of osteoporosis. Countries with lower-protein diets have lower rates of osteoporosis and hip fractures.
And the American Heart Association has this to say on vegetarian diets in general:
Most vegetarian diets are low in or devoid of animal products. They’re also usually lower than nonvegetarian diets in total fat, saturated fat and cholesterol. Many studies have shown that vegetarians seem to have a lower risk of obesity, coronary heart disease (which causes heart attack), high blood pressure, diabetes mellitus and some forms of cancer.
But you’re probably right about the vitamin B12 – I didn’t see that listed in the Wikipedia articles for soybeans and peanuts, foods that seem to have most of the other essential vitamins. I gather that a vegetarian diet does need to be a little more circumspect about eating various types to ensure the full complement is obtained.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

ERV wrote:My excuse for not writing today is I had a terrible migraine :( Four pills of meds + advil + Benadryl, +10 hours and I feel better.

Anyone here with migraine pro-tips, Id welcome them. Since they switched my BC a while back, they have increased in intensity + some 'bonus' migraines (no headache, all the side-effects like nausea, vertigo, sensitivity, except EXTREME, wtf?) My current pills (fiorinal) arent cutting it anymore. Thinking about asking for the serotonin ones-- anyone here have experience with them? Can I take an Imitrex and still work (Im too afraid to take a barbiturate at work, which means I wait till I get home, which means the pain increases until I can get home)?
So sorry to hear you were flattened by a migraine. I get 'em too, had a bad one a couple days ago.

I see a big red flag in your observation that your migraines are worse & you're getting more "aura" (= neurologic sensations of any type, associated w/ migraine) since your BC was changed. Migraine worsening on an estrogen-containing contraceptive is a very definite indication to stop the pill. The concern being the low but non-zero risk of stroke, which is higher in migraineurs than non-migraineurs, and higher on oral contraceptives than off of them. (Also higher in smokers and at older ages, said to be age >35 for migraineurs on BCs, but I'm guessing those 2 don't apply to you.)

Re possible changes, you might possibly to switch back to the prior pill, though that's not what the textbooks would say to do. Or, if the migraines are only occurring during the placebo week, then to switch to continuous dosing, but AFAIK it's unusual to have menstrual migraines that are worse on one cyclic pill than on a different cyclic pill.)

'Course, the advice to stop the pill doesn't take into account the flip side, what benefits it might offer, why you are on it in the first place.

Happy to discuss more by PM if you like.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Well fuck ERV don't stroke out, we need you to fix AIDS first.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

rayshul wrote:Well fuck ERV don't stroke out, we need you to fix AIDS first.
I did PM ERV with some info. Recent review for those who'd like to read more: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2938905/

petal

Post by petal »

ERV wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:

In the emergency department we would give a fluid bolus of normal saline 1-2 litres (can't do that at home, I know, so the equivilant would be to take an electrolyte solution like Pedilyte.) to which we would add the antiemetic, an antiinflamitory and sometimes a steroid. the cocktail was doctor preference Some liked compazine, others liked reglan as the antiemetic. I've also seen phenergan used for the nausea. Some I've also seen decadron, caffiene, and sometimes narcotics used, with limited efficacy. The iv fluids are always part of the treatment as are the antiemetics. (stopyee-pukeee drugs.) I know none of these remedies are useful to you at home; so I might suggest you try: Increase you fluid intake, take an anti-inflammitory (ibuprofen, Aleve, etc) and an antihistamine like Benadryl. If you feel nausea your doctor may be able to prescribe reglan or phenergan, the latter of which can be used rectally in a pinch. Wish I could help more. Caffiene helps some migraine sufferers. If you can't gag down a cup of coffee you can try caffiene pill; the kind sold to dumbasses who think they're diet pills.

I've never seen anecdotal eveidence in my practice to suggest barbituates or narcotics do fuck all for a migraine. Patient falls asleep, wakes up with migraine. No, sir, no more demerol for you.

Imitrex is not a controlled substance, and IMHO I've seen many a nurse working with it onboard. It's more likely to make you dizzy than high. YOu wouldn't want to take the first dose just before reporting to work,though. Drugs affect everyone slightly differently. Common side effects are: bad taste in mouth (13.5-24.5%) nausea (11-13.5%) vomiting ( 11-13.5% ugh) dizziness (1-1.7%) and the rest are respiratory (ENT 3.8%) nasal irritation 5%, sore throat -2.4%. Serious adverse affects: hypertension and hypertension crisis (both rare), stroke, seizures, and serotonin sydrome.

The above list of adverse effects are par for the course of ANY drug listed in Micromedex. It's what hospitals and doctors offices refer to in weighing the risks of putting you on a drug.

Any way, I hope you feel better. I dont' think there are any adverse effects from drinking more fluids (so long as it's not exclusively alchohol.)

ciao,
-Petal

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

sacha, you'll want to skip this one.
Steersman wrote:Good questions to which I don’t know that I have many answers. And I probably can stand corrected as far as the “animal proteins” comment is concerned – proteins are protein regardless of where they come from, but the question is what else comes along with them. Which is sort of what I had in mind and on which point you might take a look at this document. Maybe a little bit biased but seems like some credible information. For instance there’s a table at the bottom that lists the protein contents for various meats and grains with soybeans being at the top followed by pork. But what is particularly interesting are the relative amounts of cholesterol, various minerals, fats, fibrer and energy.
Soystache.com?! :D

Take a look at their list - it may be because each listing is a 100 gm serving, & some of those foods maybe you wouldn't typically eat that much at once, but the meats are not the highest in saturated fat. The 3 foods highest in saturated fat (per 100 gm serving) according to that list are peanuts, pumpkin & squash seeds, and soy!

(Again, it's probably only because they're comparing # of grams, not 1 serving of each food. But it's pretty funny!)
Steersman wrote:There are also some additional links in the document, some of which are dead (new ones below), but several of them are from various medical organizations touting the benefits of vegetarian diets:

The Protein Myth; Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine:
The average American diet contains meat and dairy products. As a result, it is often too high in protein. This can lead to a number of serious health problems:

â– Kidney Disease: When people eat too much protein, they take in more nitrogen than they need. This places a strain on the kidneys, which must expel the extra nitrogen through urine. People with kidney disease are encouraged to eat low-protein diets. Such a diet reduces the excess levels of nitrogen and can also help prevent kidney disease.

â– Cancer: Although fat is the dietary substance most often singled out for increasing cancer risk, protein also plays a role. Populations who eat meat regularly are at increased risk for colon cancer, and researchers believe that the fat, protein, natural carcinogens, and absence of fiber in meat all play roles. The 1997 report of the World Cancer Research Fund and American Institute for Cancer Research, Food, Nutrition, and the Prevention of Cancer, noted that meaty, high-protein diets were linked with some types of cancer.

â– Osteoporosis and Kidney Stones: Diets that are rich in animal protein cause people to excrete more calcium than normal through their kidneys and increase the risk of osteoporosis. Countries with lower-protein diets have lower rates of osteoporosis and hip fractures.
Certainly, it's far easier to consume lots of protein from animal sources than from plant sources, and most people in developed countries suffer no shortage of protein intake, in fact may get more than is ideal.

I knew about the others listed above but hadn't heard the suggestion before that protein intake might be associated with cancer risk. High fat intake, low fiber intake, and certain additives or ways of preparing food have been associated and there are mechanisms suggested. Not sure why protein would be; I may look into that a bit, see what the mechanism is thought to be.
Steersman wrote:And the American Heart Association has this to say on vegetarian diets in general:
Most vegetarian diets are low in or devoid of animal products. They’re also usually lower than nonvegetarian diets in total fat, saturated fat and cholesterol. Many studies have shown that vegetarians seem to have a lower risk of obesity, coronary heart disease (which causes heart attack), high blood pressure, diabetes mellitus and some forms of cancer.
But you’re probably right about the vitamin B12 – I didn’t see that listed in the Wikipedia articles for soybeans and peanuts, foods that seem to have most of the other essential vitamins. I gather that a vegetarian diet does need to be a little more circumspect about eating various types to ensure the full complement is obtained.
Problem with determining health benefit of vegetarianism is that people who choose to be vegetarian or vegan may also have, or have already had, healthier lifestyles. I poked around briefly, found a couple studies that found or didn't find differences. FWIW, here's the abstract for a 2006 review from the UK that comments on a number of the factors we've mentioned: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16441942. You can probably find other reviews that conclude there is a difference in health outcomes. Anyway, this one also points out that calcium is also harder to get from a plant-based diet; I'd forgotten to include that one.

...Cross-sectional studies of vegetarians and vegans have shown that on average they have a relatively low BMI and a low plasma cholesterol concentration; recent studies have also shown higher plasma homocysteine concentrations than in non-vegetarians. Cohort studies of vegetarians have shown a moderate reduction in mortality from IHD but little difference in other major causes of death or all-cause mortality in comparison with health-conscious non-vegetarians from the same population. Studies of cancer have not shown clear differences in cancer rates between vegetarians and non-vegetarians. More data are needed, particularly on the health of vegans and on the possible impacts on health of low intakes of long-chain n-3 fatty acids and vitamin B(12). Overall, the data suggest that the health of Western vegetarians is good and similar to that of comparable non-vegetarians.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

(oh, sorry - "IHD" in the last quote is short for "ischemic heart disease")

disumbrationist

Post by disumbrationist »

Steersman wrote: The Protein Myth; Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine:
PCRM is essentially PETA. The lack of citations for their claims should also be a red flag.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Lost Control: Let me extend all my wishes to your girl for a good and speedy recovery. Don't hesitate to post your thoughts and moods here, you know we all do at times.

One week off the booze, allowing myself one 12cl glass of red wine at diner per my father's instructions, and no withdrawal so far. The smoking is a bit more difficult to manage, but I have to. No incomes will do that for you.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

ERV wrote:
Also, LOL @ the Women in Secularism icon being a pink circle. I cant figure out whether they are obsessed with penises/vaginii in a, like, childish manner, or like in a repressed Christian Republican homosexual manner.

huh.
I think the first time they heard "secularism", they thought it was "circlelarism" and went for it. Circular logic and all. So the pink circle fits pretty well.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Skep tickle wrote:sacha, you'll want to skip this one.
Steersman wrote:Good questions to which I don’t know that I have many answers. And I probably can stand corrected as far as the “animal proteins” comment is concerned – proteins are protein regardless of where they come from, but the question is what else comes along with them. Which is sort of what I had in mind and on which point you might take a look at this document. Maybe a little bit biased but seems like some credible information. For instance there’s a table at the bottom that lists the protein contents for various meats and grains with soybeans being at the top followed by pork. But what is particularly interesting are the relative amounts of cholesterol, various minerals, fats, fibrer and energy.
Soystache.com?! :D

Take a look at their list - it may be because each listing is a 100 gm serving, & some of those foods maybe you wouldn't typically eat that much at once, but the meats are not the highest in saturated fat. The 3 foods highest in saturated fat (per 100 gm serving) according to that list are peanuts, pumpkin & squash seeds, and soy!
I did say that they might be “a little biased”. :-)

And the two top items – soy and pork about the same quantity of saturated fats [2.8 gm], but the soy comes out ahead, I think, in other areas – notably the energy, although that is probably due to the unsaturated fats. And of course the cholesterol per 100 grams of the meats are substantially higher than the grains and seeds.
Anyway, this one also points out that calcium is also harder to get from a plant-based diet; I'd forgotten to include that one.
Surprised at that one as the soy and winged beans seem rather high in calcium.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

*Le sigh*

A metal band just asked me to make symphonic arrangements for their upcoming album and sent me a first song to test some stuff.

The song's name? Ophelia's Garden!

I'm feeling stalked...

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

disumbrationist wrote:
Steersman wrote: The Protein Myth; Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine:
PCRM is essentially PETA. The lack of citations for their claims should also be a red flag.
Thanks for the heads-up. Although I note the following from the same source:
PCRM—along with PETA and groups such as the Centers for Disease Control, the Center for Science in the Public Interest, and Mothers Against Drunk Driving—has been the subject of public criticism for several years by the Center for Consumer Freedom (CCF), a non-profit lobby group representing the food and beverage industry. The New York Times reported CCF's and PCRM's criticism of each other in 2004. CCF called PCRM a front for PETA, arguing that when PCRM offers health advice, they "do a very slick job of obscuring their real intentions," which is simply to oppose the use of meat, dairy products and alcohol. PCRM responded that, "If you are in the business of putting veal or beef on the tables of America, and slaughtering more than a million animals per hour, and making an awful lot of money at it, you are going to try to neutralize PETA or other animal-rights groups."
And you can colour me skeptical when it comes to the ethics of big business – including agribusiness –which frequently play second-fiddle to the bottom line. And apropos of agribusiness you’ve probably seen the documentary Food Inc.:
… is a 2008 American documentary film directed by Emmy Award-winning filmmaker Robert Kenner. The film examines corporate farming in the United States, concluding that agribusiness produces food that is unhealthy, in a way that is environmentally harmful and abusive of both animals and employees.
It’s been awhile since I saw it but I recollect that it described some rather problematic aspects of the beef industry in Texas and that Oprah apparently commented on the documentary and that section in terms that the industry thought were slanderous. They sued her but were apparently shot down in flames – can’t add much of a rosy hue to the industry nor does it do much to discredit the documentary.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Steersman wrote:And the two top items – soy and pork about the same quantity of saturated fats [2.8 gm], but the soy comes out ahead, I think, in other areas – notably the energy, although that is probably due to the unsaturated fats. And of course the cholesterol per 100 grams of the meats are substantially higher than the grains and seeds.
The amount of cholesterol ingested isn't important; saturated and polyunsaturated fats are. We synthesize way more cholesterol in our livers than we take in through food.
Steersman wrote:
Anyway, this one also points out that calcium is also harder to get from a plant-based diet; I'd forgotten to include that one.
Surprised at that one as the soy and winged beans seem rather high in calcium.
Plant sources of calcium are poorly absorbed and the concentrations are low. Some forms are good sources, for example calcium is as well absorbed from calcium-fortified soy milk as from cow's milk. But not well from soybeans themselves or from unfortified soy milk (nor is there much calcium in those foods).

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Good to know about PCRM & PETA. From their wiki page: PCRM's founder, Dr. Neal Barnard, "has called cheese 'dairy crack'".

mutleyeng

Post by mutleyeng »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:*Le sigh*

A metal band just asked me to make symphonic arrangements for their upcoming album and sent me a first song to test some stuff.

I'm feeling stalked...
the mind boggles....not in a nice way

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Skep tickle wrote:
Steersman wrote:And the two top items – soy and pork about the same quantity of saturated fats [2.8 gm], but the soy comes out ahead, I think, in other areas – notably the energy, although that is probably due to the unsaturated fats. And of course the cholesterol per 100 grams of the meats are substantially higher than the grains and seeds.
The amount of cholesterol ingested isn't important; saturated and polyunsaturated fats are. We synthesize way more cholesterol in our livers than we take in through food. ....
Thanks for the further clarifications.

But relative to your comments about calcium I note in passing that the American Heart Association claims that “studies show that vegetarians absorb and retain more calcium from foods than nonvegetarians do”, although they didn’t provide and I didn’t search for any supporting citations.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

I'm feeling stalked...
Well you did the right thing by complaining about it on the internet.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

rayshul wrote:

I'm feeling stalked...
Well you did the right thing by complaining about it on the internet.
Not complaining, just finding it ironic...

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

I'm feeling stalked...
Unfortunately, I can just imagine that garden. It would be filled with poison ivy, thorny things, and those flowers that smell like corpses. Flies, maggots, and a stagnant smelling ditch filled with leeches and brain-eating amoebas, would be the only wildlife. Best of luck in trying to work with a song that has such a name.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

With regard to random piss tests and weed, from my personal observations, they are easily defeated. As someone who has spent time incarcerated, guys who were stoned all day most days, would flood their system with water before the test. (They usually would give thirty mins notification of a test). It usually worked to beat it.

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

Interesting blog post by Hayley Stevens (British sceptic, seen her mentioned here a couple of times, personally I know her as co-host of some podcast which name escapes me at the moment that I used to listen to). About realising that it can be easy to get caught up in other people's narrative. About finding out that the word misogyny gets used where it is not actually applicable, skewing the perspective on situations. And about how people you might think are your friends or at least on the same "side" as you will always put their own interests first and use others to achieve their goals.

I like her point about how she thought "mansplaining" was used as a joke. Certainly I'm still slightly surprised when I see the word patriarchy used unironically. It just seems like such a caricature of feminism that I still have a difficult time comprehending the earnest use of it.

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

And since I can't in good conscience just go and make an on-topic and serious post, here's a funny picture to balance things out.

http://dyingunderalienstars.files.wordp ... atures.jpg

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

As a person whom spent years incarcerated, flooding your system with water was not effective if the institution was serious about testing. I did time in Phoenixville, Broad Meadows and Glenn Mills which were jails that served the philadelphia area, and even with the arcane methods of testing of the day, they could bust you for marijuana.

It stores in the fat cells it's organic, not aqueous, easily detected.

ButterCup

Post by ButterCup »

ERV wrote:
Called it.

Assuming JREF wanted nothing to do with PETA, gave her an ultimatum, she chose PETA.

Again, what a shame. Think of all the repulsive totally useless (if not counter-productive) tactics JREF could have learned from PETA! Oh well, their loss, CFIs gain.

*puke*

huh.
I am biased as I know Carrie and her work for several years. But I know she made sure her job w/ PETA would be there if the JREF job did not work out. She was actually asked to take the job months before she accepted. I can only speculate that she was worried that being a friend of D.J. would be different than working for him. JREF was well aware of her work with PETA, that was never an issue.

I was dismayed with her initial tweet saying she left in protest, but maybe she saw various FB posts questioning it, and deleted it. So far (AFAIK), she has kept her word since to not draw this out and generate drama, without making an untrue statement as to why she left (making up something about leaving to work on a book, etc...)
I don't know the exact reason she left. But I know she values the JREF and Randi, and wants the problem fixed without dragging down the JREF.

Compare her actions with Rebecca Watson. RW, rather than talking to D.J. directly about her concerns about his statements or safety at JREF, made a big attention whoring comment and said Skepchicks were boycotting TAM. She had no concern for JREF, TAM or Randi. She just wanted to get back at D.J. and was fine with giving the impression that the JREF is A-OK with sexual harassment and that skeptic events are rife with harassment.

I may be proven wrong, but I am maintaining this view until the other shoe drops.

Cunning Punt

Re: Paranoa

Post by Cunning Punt »

BarnOwl wrote:
mordacious1 wrote:Prune posted:
Every time
November 28, 2012 at 3:15 pm Ophelia Benson
Travel anxiety. I always. I always think I’ll forget everything, and miss the bus, and miss the plane, and miss the other plane, and leave all my stuff on the plane, and get sucked into the engines.
Get sucked into the engines? Seriously? Nothing about having to sit next to homeless people on the bus, or men talking to you, or dare I say? Rape in an elevator? And how do you get sucked into more than one engine?
LOL. Ophelia and her FtB pals must be some of the most self-absorbed humans on the planet. A person who has time to obsess about such crap is a person who doesn't have enough productive work to do. Think of the social justice activism that could be achieved with all the mental energy wasted on self-involved neurotic ponderings.
She is one of a tiny minority of the world's people that gets to ride on a plane.She ought to stop her fucking whining and go spend a few months in Kolkata.

http://www.facebook.com/responsiblecharity

Woodbine

Post by Woodbine »

ERV wrote:My excuse for not writing today is I had a terrible migraine :( Four pills of meds + advil + Benadryl, +10 hours and I feel better.

I used to suffer migraine until I gave up caffeine. Try it - just go for de-caf whenever you have tea or coffee and avoid Coke and all that shit.

Very likely you'll get a few headaches as your body withdraws from caffeine use but, holy shit it's worth it!

In the interests of science I have to disclose I gave up smoking at the same time as I dumped all things caffeine so I might be barking up the wrong tree.

Good luck!

welch

Post by welch »

TedDahlberg wrote:Interesting blog post by Hayley Stevens (British sceptic, seen her mentioned here a couple of times, personally I know her as co-host of some podcast which name escapes me at the moment that I used to listen to). About realising that it can be easy to get caught up in other people's narrative. About finding out that the word misogyny gets used where it is not actually applicable, skewing the perspective on situations. And about how people you might think are your friends or at least on the same "side" as you will always put their own interests first and use others to achieve their goals.

I like her point about how she thought "mansplaining" was used as a joke. Certainly I'm still slightly surprised when I see the word patriarchy used unironically. It just seems like such a caricature of feminism that I still have a difficult time comprehending the earnest use of it.
Annnnnd guess who shows up to defend A+ and get his wank at the pit?

:hankey:

AnonymousCowherd

Post by AnonymousCowherd »

deLurch wrote:
AnonymousCowherd wrote:Mind you, the main concerns of the TOS are copyright/trademark issues, which does ring certain bells re the SurlyOne.
Let's see. Files a counter DMCA, then admits online that it wasn't his/her real name or address. I could easily see how that would be taken down based on those terms if it was pointed out to them, they cared and it crossed the nose of a human.
The point is now moot but, for what it's worth, I was commenting on the possible reasons the twitteratti might be speculating in a particular way about the take down of the Elevatorgate blog in, as I pointed out, the absence of any evidence. That said, I see you note that someone had to point out the DMCA stuff to "them" for the blog to be taken down. If, in fact, that's why it was taken down. It does seem to have come back very quickly if it involved something as serious (or at least as entangled) as the DMCA stuff is alleged to be.

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

welch wrote:
TedDahlberg wrote:Interesting blog post by Hayley Stevens…
Annnnnd guess who shows up to defend A+ and get his wank at the pit?

:hankey:

Heh, I saw that. Couldn't bring myself to spend time reading his wall-o-textâ„¢ though. He does get around, I'll give him that.

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

ButterCup wrote:I am biased as I know Carrie and her work for several years. But I know she made sure her job w/ PETA would be there if the JREF job did not work out.
I appreciate the face she is your friend. I really do. But if youve 'always got a job waiting for you at PETA', something is wrong.

Spence

Post by Spence »

Scented Nectar wrote:

I'm feeling stalked...
Unfortunately, I can just imagine that garden. It would be filled with poison ivy, thorny things, and those flowers that smell like corpses. Flies, maggots, and a stagnant smelling ditch filled with leeches and brain-eating amoebas, would be the only wildlife. Best of luck in trying to work with a song that has such a name.
With all the talk about pubes, when I first read that I assumed that Phil was referring to Ophelia's lady garden.

On second thoughts, perhaps that *is* what Scented is talking about as well?

OK OK I'll get my coat :naughty:

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

I'm feeling stalked...
Your feelings are important.