Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
Git

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by Git »

Mykeru wrote:Reap gets credit for the sex tape GIF, Al gets Witch of the Week.What do I get?

Right: Attacked by a giant chicken.

Fucking internet.
[youtube]KYB7ciCvBy8[/youtube]

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

another lurker wrote:Gumby: like me, you are a cat lover

Fuck PZ Myers and his 'anti-caturday' posts.

Yeah, its a bummer that kitties kill birds, but they also kill a lot of rodents. My neighbourhood has no kitties, and this year we have been overrun with squirrels and mice!
I'm not so sure PZ actually hates the kittehs. It's just his attempt at a running joke with Jerry Coyne over at WEIT, who is a confirmed cat addict. Hey, it's not like there's anything wrong with liking cats, right?

[youtube]k2-15mYWpmA[/youtube]

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Post numbers now available, and they are hot links, so you can cut and paste to your heart's content.

Git

Post by Git »

Lsuoma wrote:Post numbers now available, and they are hot links, so you can cut and paste to your heart's content.
Bloody good show, Lsuoma.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Re: Restart Periodic Table of Swearing?

Post by Gumby »

Tigzy wrote:
Eucliwood wrote: I don't see what's strange about me. If it helps, I read book reviews and some of the characters people complain are "too unrealistic" are a dimension of me. Sort of pisses me off. People should start justifying their "unrealistic characters" with my existence.
Would these be books with aliens in them?
LOL *snort*

I see I haven't been missing much.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Oh, you need JS for them to work, but you need JS for pretty much everything around here, so no biggie. If JS worries you, BTW, get NoScript (Firefox) or ScriptNo/ScriptNot for Chrome.

And Ghostery, RequestPolicy and AdBlock.

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
Rystefn wrote:Are you new? There's no disguise. Welch is openly an asshole pretty much all the time.
But, he's a lovable asshole, much like you :D
Love's an awfully strong word... you don't need to play games like that to get me in the sack, let's just call it what it is: I'm a fuckable asshole.

SkepticalCat

Post by SkepticalCat »

HoneyWagon wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:Wondering about locking this thread and starting another, just for the hell of it. Thoughts?
Would it be possible to number posts? Makes it easier to refer back to them.
I agree with HoneyWagon's suggestion.

We should have a contest to come up with a good name for the next thread. I suggest "Stephanie Svan's Vibrator is Broken" just because it will really piss off the baboons. :dance:

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

So, I am reading this forum while playing LOTRO and listening to the podcast "Cognitive Dissonance" and they post this:

http://meds4nyc.org/
she suffers from a medical condition and needs medications – some to stay alive, some to stay functional, and some to maintain her level of transition. Because she still receives Unemployment Insurance, which doesn’t quite cover her share of the rent after food and sundries, she doesn’t qualify for free medical care under our current system. As friends, and just people with empathy quite frankly, we’re trying to raise a bit of money to help get her through the next few months alive and with a roof over her head, and more importantly, to see if we can find her the resources that can help her achieve her longer term goals, the first of which is to find gainful employment. Without help, she has no way of obtaining her medicine until she is very ill, and then only those medications that will sustain her life, and only for as long as she is dangerously ill.
So this person is dangerously ill and on the verge of being homeless. Kinda puts Greta Christina's shoe problems into proper perspective, doesn't it?

Tkmlac

Post by Tkmlac »

Oh fuck, Eucliwood, I JUST took you off ignore. Like three hours ago. Why are you starting again?
:angry-banghead:

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

SkepticalCat wrote:
HoneyWagon wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:Wondering about locking this thread and starting another, just for the hell of it. Thoughts?
Would it be possible to number posts? Makes it easier to refer back to them.
I agree with HoneyWagon's suggestion.

We should have a contest to come up with a good name for the next thread. I suggest "Stephanie Svan's Vibrator is Broken" just because it will really piss off the baboons. :dance:
Get with the times, Cat: look at post 44103.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Rystefn wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:
Rystefn wrote:Are you new? There's no disguise. Welch is openly an asshole pretty much all the time.
Love's an awfully strong word... you don't need to play games like that to get me in the sack, let's just call it what it is: I'm a fuckable asshole.
Ok, ok. You're a fuckable asshole. Better?

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

another lurker wrote:So, I am reading this forum while playing LOTRO and listening to the podcast "Cognitive Dissonance" and they post this:

http://meds4nyc.org/
she suffers from a medical condition and needs medications – some to stay alive, some to stay functional, and some to maintain her level of transition. Because she still receives Unemployment Insurance, which doesn’t quite cover her share of the rent after food and sundries, she doesn’t qualify for free medical care under our current system. As friends, and just people with empathy quite frankly, we’re trying to raise a bit of money to help get her through the next few months alive and with a roof over her head, and more importantly, to see if we can find her the resources that can help her achieve her longer term goals, the first of which is to find gainful employment. Without help, she has no way of obtaining her medicine until she is very ill, and then only those medications that will sustain her life, and only for as long as she is dangerously ill.
So this person is dangerously ill and on the verge of being homeless. Kinda puts Greta Christina's shoe problems into proper perspective, doesn't it?
Indeed it does.

Turglemeister

Post by Turglemeister »

Al Stefanelli wrote:
Turglemeister wrote:Just watched Al Stefanelli on YT, thought I'd come over to the dark side for a kick about. How those femtards smelling on the spit roast ?
Well, hey, Turg. Welcome to The Pit! We're making S'mores later. Grab your stick and pull up a log. :)
Ahhh this is the stuff :D

BoxNDox

Post by BoxNDox »

Rystefn wrote:
Yeah, there's some interesting ideas there, but those books drag the fuck on, don't they? I managed to read the first one, and that was more than enough for me. Also, fuck any series of five books right in the ass. If you can't trim that shit down to at most a trilogy, then you need to just shut the fuck up.
Since it's set on Earth it's more dated than Dune, but try Hellstrom's Hive instead. (Assuming you can find a copy.) Humans organized as social insects.

Come to think of it, the start of it, where if memory serves some female workers embark on an unauthorized sperm collection run, fits in rather well with some of the discussion here.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Matt Dillahunty's stab at being a bus driver didn't turn out too well...

[youtube]0W6vtPakFt8[/youtube]

skepCHUD

Post by skepCHUD »

Misandryst Stephanie Svan is back to stalking and cyber harassing Justin Vacula with her "What Melody Hensley has to Teach You About Professionalism" post. The hatred just oozes out of her as she incites her brainless fans to slander and attack JV.
Stephanie, if your reading this, everyone knows how much you hate men and Vacula in particular but you have to stop spewing this toxic bile before you or one of your minions acts out and tragedy ensues.
Stop the stalking and harrassment. Just stop it! And get some professional help with that problem of yours.

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
Rystefn wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:
Awesome. How's Thursday?

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

I hate cats nearly as much as I hate children.

welch

Post by welch »

Turglemeister wrote:
Al Stefanelli wrote:
Turglemeister wrote:Just watched Al Stefanelli on YT, thought I'd come over to the dark side for a kick about. How those femtards smelling on the spit roast ?
Well, hey, Turg. Welcome to The Pit! We're making S'mores later. Grab your stick and pull up a log. :)
Ahhh this is the stuff :D
not there. that's my log.

Tkmlac

Post by Tkmlac »

BoxNDox wrote:
Rystefn wrote:
Yeah, there's some interesting ideas there, but those books drag the fuck on, don't they? I managed to read the first one, and that was more than enough for me. Also, fuck any series of five books right in the ass. If you can't trim that shit down to at most a trilogy, then you need to just shut the fuck up.
Since it's set on Earth it's more dated than Dune, but try Hellstrom's Hive instead. (Assuming you can find a copy.) Humans organized as social insects.

Come to think of it, the start of it, where if memory serves some female workers embark on an unauthorized sperm collection run, fits in rather well with some of the discussion here.
I assume these statements don't apply to five-part trilogies, right?

Reap

Post by Reap »

Tigzy wrote:How bizarre. Peezee has apparently banned a commentator from Pharyngula for comments 'xe' didn't actually make at Pharyngula:
Lofty on January 6, 2013 at 11:33 pm

And PZ has banned olivervcrankle at Pharyngula over the comments xe left here [Greta's blog], just so xe can wallow in more self pity. So sad. Did xe donate to Greta’s cause?
http://freethoughtblogs.com/greta/2013/ ... ent-100024

And sure enough, Ollie is right at the bottom of Peezee's dungeon list: http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/dungeon/

I say this is bizarre, because I recall Pezeee saying a little while ago that his commentariat shouldn't give someone shit for what they said in another thread (can't find the link, alas). To me, this logically extends to another blog...but fuck, this is Peezee we're talking here, so maybe not so bizarre.
PZ might be taking out the anger at me for what I posted on his blog last night on Oliver, if so....sorry. And if its the same one who was posting at adam lee's place. I'm really sorry cause that shit was awesome. Poor Adam...poor poor fucking dickhead adam

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

This idea isn't going to fly. Fucking rape enabler.

[youtube]sYYdh84pFng[youtube][/youtube]

Reap

Post by Reap »

Mykeru wrote:
somedumbguy wrote:[spoiler]
Tigzy wrote:How bizarre. Peezee has apparently banned a commentator from Pharyngula for comments 'xe' didn't actually make at Pharyngula:
Lofty on January 6, 2013 at 11:33 pm

And PZ has banned olivervcrankle at Pharyngula over the comments xe left here [Greta's blog], just so xe can wallow in more self pity. So sad. Did xe donate to Greta’s cause?
http://freethoughtblogs.com/greta/2013/ ... ent-100024

And sure enough, Ollie is right at the bottom of Peezee's dungeon list: http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/dungeon/

I say this is bizarre, because I recall Pezeee saying a little while ago that his commentariat shouldn't give someone shit for what they said in another thread (can't find the link, alas). To me, this logically extends to another blog...but fuck, this is Peezee we're talking here, so maybe not so bizarre.
FWIW, Greta banned Oliver because Stephanie asked Greta to ban Oliver because of Oliver's calling Stephanie names over at Adam Lee's, Daylight Atheism. Stephanie says this is name calling (hint: and she's right), but Oliver is also correct too, that Ophelia Benson misinterpreted what was said. Reap called one person a bitch, not all women.

So Oliver was banned from all those blogs for these comments at Adam Lee's blog, not for anything he said at FtB, because what he said at FreeThoughtBlogs is almost always basically standard dissenting opinions, nothing inflammatory, libelous, bullying, or anything. Mainly Oliver was banned because they didn't know how to refute him, and they could ban him.

The story behind Oliver Crangle's nym is pretty ironic. Google it if you have the time. I would think A+ers would love an Oliver Crangle in their groups.

http://bigthink.com/daylight-atheism/th ... -751749030
http://i.imgur.com/NNNo9.jpg[/spoiler]

http://bigthink.com/daylight-atheism/th ... -751751297
http://i.imgur.com/fheuy.jpg
Reap gets credit for the sex tape GIF, Al gets Witch of the Week.What do I get?

Right: Attacked by a giant chicken.

Fucking internet.
Hey all I did was suggest better lighting, what they were using added at least 10lbs to Zvan...

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Tkmlac wrote:Oh fuck, Eucliwood, I JUST took you off ignore. Like three hours ago.
That'll learn ya.

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn »

Tkmlac wrote:
BoxNDox wrote:
Rystefn wrote:

Absolutely does. The last two are waste of ink, and I'm pretty sure Doug agreed with that assessment.

Darren

Post by Darren »

This is a few days old, but I haven't seen it posted yet. noelplum99 responds to the first TF video, and PZ's and Matts response. Only just started watching, so I can't comment yet:

[youtube]I2mbsGxEWV8[/youtube]

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Duh
[youtube]sYYdh84pFng[/youtube]

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Rystefn wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:
Rystefn wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:
Awesome. How's Thursday?
That's my "Learn How To Piss Off Online Feminists For Fun and Profit" day.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Lsuoma said:
So, I think I'll lock this at or around 50K posts, and probably start another one monthly thereafter.
How does that sound?

Sounds OK to me.

I like the fact that you have numbered the posts.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Gefan wrote:
Metalogic42 wrote:
Greta Christina wrote:However, a few people have made new donations and specifically requested that I spend it on something frivolous. I’m once again deeply touched. And I’m on it. Consider the Greta Christina Frivolous Shoe Fund open. I even know what I have my eye on…
Oh snap, she knew that her kneejerk supporters would kneejerk support her. Looks to me like this whole thing was so she can get even more money. Clever. Still fucked up, but clever.
And here I sit, working for a living.

Don't I feel stupid?
Yeah, I feel really stupid too ... I spent the day updating lectures for the two courses I'm teaching atm, meeting with students in those courses, and working on new curriculum for the med school. Not ONE pair of Fluevogs forthcoming, either!

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Reap wrote: Hey all I did was suggest better lighting, what they were using added at least 10lbs to Zvan...
[youtube]nc5s56Tv74s[/youtube]

Eucliwood

Post by Eucliwood »

Tkmlac wrote:Oh fuck, Eucliwood, I JUST took you off ignore. Like three hours ago. Why are you starting again?
:angry-banghead:
Huh? What're you talking about? What am I starting?

Darren

Post by Darren »

Oh, and if we're suggesting possible titles for a new thread (I'm very "meh" about the idea, but whatever), may I contribute:

"Tigger Warning: Misogyny and rape threats".

Darren

Post by Darren »

And, of course, that's "Trigger" warning, not "Tigger" warning...

[spoiler]http://i.imgur.com/FVUmQ.jpg[/spoiler]

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Darren wrote:And, of course, that's "Trigger" warning, not "Tigger" warning...

[spoiler]http://i.imgur.com/FVUmQ.jpg[/spoiler]
Tigger warning is cool. Some of us have tail bouncing issues.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Tigger Warning:

[youtube]dJFyz73MRcg[/youtube]

Turglemeister

Post by Turglemeister »

I'm imagining someone would find a way to make the bouncing seem oppressive.

Tkmlac

Post by Tkmlac »

Rystefn wrote:
Tkmlac wrote:
BoxNDox wrote:
Rystefn wrote:

Absolutely does. The last two are waste of ink, and I'm pretty sure Doug agreed with that assessment.
Well shit, I haven't read the last two yet. Now I'm disappoint. Life, The Universe and Everything was my favorite book when I was a yungin.

AnimalAndy

Post by AnimalAndy »

This seems to go viral as we speak...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/won ... see-today/

While I don't want to downplay the numbers... I really hate sloppy data analysis. If you look at how they came to this graphic, there is a lot to question...

http://theenlivenproject.com/the-challenge-of-data/

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Ideas for naming the new thread. This should be put on our front door.

[youtube]QVh9-84FQAw[/youtube]

Darren

Post by Darren »

ReneeHendricks wrote:Tigger warning is cool. Some of us have tail bouncing issues.
There's something about the juxtaposition of "Tigger" and "rape" that I find very amusing...

[spoiler][/spoiler]

I'm going to hell for that, aren't I?

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn »

Tkmlac wrote:
Rystefn wrote:
Tkmlac wrote:
BoxNDox wrote:
Rystefn wrote:

Well shit, I haven't read the last two yet. Now I'm disappoint. Life, The Universe and Everything was my favorite book when I was a yungin.
My understanding is that he wrote them because the publishers came to his house with burlap sacks full of money and wouldn't stop ringing the bell until her game them a manuscript. At one point in So Long, he actually literally advises the reader to skip ahead to the last chapter because you probably won't be interested in a book about Arthur Dent's sex life. Mostly Harmless is much, much worse. It's pretty clearly a desperate attempt to force an ending that would get them to leave him the Hell alone about writing more books. I didn't work, so he finally just gave up and died.

Do yourself a favor and read the Dirk Gently novels instead. They're his best work, and there's only two of them.

Darren

Post by Darren »

Damn... forgot the img tags.

[spoiler]http://i.imgur.com/gXgeU.jpg[/spoiler]

windy

Post by windy »

welch wrote:
Eucliwood wrote: You didn't strike me as such a jerk. You're acting like you have an Attack Eucliwood switch. First, you insult me, pretending like my diss is a literal question. Then you twist my last post into "accusing you of being a woman to be insulting," so that you can call me stupid again. You're a guy. Got it.
"diss"? wait, did you just really use that term? Holy fuck could you be any whiter? Do you like Bryan Adams? I bet you do.
No matter how eccentric someone is, do we really need to be using something out of ceepolk's playbook against her... :doh:

codelette

Post by codelette »

AnimalAndy wrote:This seems to go viral as we speak...

While I don't want to downplay the numbers... I really hate sloppy data analysis. If you look at how they came to this graphic, there is a lot to question...

I don't understand how they figured out the are so many rapists on the loose if only a few rapes where reported. Am I missing something?

Darren

Post by Darren »

"Sloppy" is being generous. From you're second link:
For those of you who have asked, here is the background on the stats we used:

* Some reports suggest that only 5-25% of rapes are reported to authorities. Other suggest that close to half are reported. We assumed 10%, which is dramatic, but possible.
* Of the rapes that are reported, approximately 9 are prosecuted.
* Of the prosecuted, 5 result in felony convictions. This is across the board for all felony prosecutions, not just rape.
* Assuming that 2% of reported rapes are false and a 10% reporting rate, the graphic assumes that 2 of 1000 rapes are falsely reported (assuming a rape can’t be falsely reported unless it’s reported in the first place)
Synopsis: We pulled most of the numbers out of our arse.

decius

Post by decius »

The falsely-accused data is consistent with my finds. Wrongful convictions are way lower still, not only in the US but in most Western democracies. In direct contradiction with the MRM propaganda we're seeing here, incidentally.

I don't know about the rest, I never looked into that part.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Darren wrote:[spoiler]

"Sloppy" is being generous. From you're second link:
For those of you who have asked, here is the background on the stats we used:

* Some reports suggest that only 5-25% of rapes are reported to authorities. Other suggest that close to half are reported. We assumed 10%, which is dramatic, but possible.
* Of the rapes that are reported, approximately 9 are prosecuted.
* Of the prosecuted, 5 result in felony convictions. This is across the board for all felony prosecutions, not just rape.
* Assuming that 2% of reported rapes are false and a 10% reporting rate, the graphic assumes that 2 of 1000 rapes are falsely reported (assuming a rape can’t be falsely reported unless it’s reported in the first place)
[/spoiler]

Stephen Harper, Canada's Prime Minister, desperately wants to get a Patriot Act style internet spybill passed. Crime rates in Canada are at an all time low. His reasoning? unreported crime is up. So then you have to ask, if these crimes are unreported, how the fuck do you know its going up???

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Twitter sucks, especially when you're dealing with a brain-dead A+ apologist:

I decided to shoot this off for shits and giggles (and because I am seriously sick of all the false "rape threats")
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd24 ... c11fd4.jpg

So along comes this guy, so I start the old back-and-forth with him.
[spoiler]http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd24 ... 029a18.jpg

John-Henry is not off to a good start. However, it gets better as he credulously the Skepchick claim of all these alleged police reports, and says I'm a hyperskeptic asshole for not blindly accepting them at their word:
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd24 ... db88ba.jpg

I tell him I'm done, but he's not done with teh stoopid:
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd24 ... 729be4.jpg

And then the funniest and strangest tweet I've seen in a long time.
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd24 ... eb8468.jpg

So, to this idiot, a request for evidence to support Skepchick/FTB claims of all these "rape threats" is like, erm, dating a fossil or something. :lol:

I try one more time, to no avail:
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd24 ... 9ad190.jpg

Something tells me this guy has no idea what skepticism is... as evidenced by his parting shot:
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd24 ... 797f25.jpg

Yeah, dumbass, that's exactly what Rebecca et al are trying to do. Nothing more, nothing less. So innocent. LOL[/spoiler]
File John-Henry under:
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd24 ... 91a749.jpg

decius

Post by decius »

Darren wrote:
Ignore Enliven, the Bureau of Justice is a sound source.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

codelette wrote: My favorite A+ thread is the one about the guy complaining about being poor, yet you visit his blog and he's talking about having a personal trainer and cottage vacations and flying to weddings...
*shrug*

Being "poor" can be relative. As a teen I was poor in the sense that I had to work menial jobs if I wanted some money to spend over the ₤8 monthly allowance I was given (which was the whole idea I suppose, to ensure I had some idea of the value of a ₤1).

Yet, I was a member of two exclusive private clubs, one of which I could eat and drink as much as I wanted, and my father never once questioned the monthly account.

Another example, a school mate who was always moaning that he was the only <name> without money, and yet at 15 he owned a string of horses, and had managed to acquire a taxi and employed a cabbie to operate it.

And yet, though we both attended a relatively exclusive school, and came from relatively privileged backgrounds, no doubt we were considered poor by those who attended say Eaton or Harrow.

Context people, context.

reGreta is piss-poor relative to certain people. What she spent on a single pair of shoes which no doubt she will treasure, would not cover the cost of a manicure in other places, though it might just cover the cost of tea in the afternoon (party of four) at Claridge's.

Which is not to say that I do not sympathize with those here who donated, and now have their cookies frosted, and feel their trust betrayed or some such.

All I have to say is that at the time, I was startled to find out that some people here had actually sent money to someone I am convinced, would never care in the slightest whatever misfortune befell upon you.

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

codelette wrote:

I don't understand how they figured out the are so many rapists on the loose if only a few rapes where reported. Am I missing something?
I brought this up on Skepchick not too long ago. Apparently the "answer" is that few are reported to the police, and we know about all these unreported rapes because they were "reported" to other sources.

That's a big problem for this graphic, because they're assuming without any sort of evidence that any rape claim is legitimate. But in reality, without the "faced trial" part, the actual numbers are inscrutable.

But there's a bigger problem with the graphic though. "Reported" is a subset of "Rapists", "Faced Trial" is a subset of "Reported" and "Rapists", etc. But if we take the "Jailed" section out of "Faced Trial", what we have is another subset, one of several different types of people - people who were convicted of rape but got a lighter sentence, people who faced trial as rapists but were convicted of a lesser crime, and people who were found innocent - that is, falsely accused. Those last two types don't count as rapists, and as such don't belong in the "Rapists" group at all.

HoneyWagon

Post by HoneyWagon »

Darren wrote:Damn... forgot the img tags.

This made me laugh more than I should have.

Does that make me a bad person?

Turglemeister

Post by Turglemeister »

AndrewV69 wrote:
codelette wrote: My favorite A+ thread is the one about the guy complaining about being poor, yet you visit his blog and he's talking about having a personal trainer and cottage vacations and flying to weddings...
*shrug*

Being "poor" can be relative. As a teen I was poor in the sense that I had to work menial jobs if I wanted some money to spend over the ₤8 monthly allowance I was given (which was the whole idea I suppose, to ensure I had some idea of the value of a ₤1).

Yet, I was a member of two exclusive private clubs, one of which I could eat and drink as much as I wanted, and my father never once questioned the monthly account.

Another example, a school mate who was always moaning that he was the only <name> without money, and yet at 15 he owned a string of horses, and had managed to acquire a taxi and employed a cabbie to operate it.

And yet, though we both attended a relatively exclusive school, and came from relatively privileged backgrounds, no doubt we were considered poor by those who attended say Eaton or Harrow.

Context people, context.

reGreta is piss-poor relative to certain people. What she spent on a single pair of shoes which no doubt she will treasure, would not cover the cost of a manicure in other places, though it might just cover the cost of tea in the afternoon (party of four) at Claridge's.

Which is not to say that I do not sympathize with those here who donated, and now have their cookies frosted, and feel their trust betrayed or some such.

All I have to say is that at the time, I was startled to find out that some people here had actually sent money to someone I am convinced, would never care in the slightest whatever misfortune befell upon you.
All good points, although I don't think the WHO see poverty as relative. I imagine there is a methodology to determine whether someone is poor. Lack of adequate food, clothing, shelter etc. You were not poor my friend, not by a long shot. This is akin to the first world problems mewled about by the femtards.

Turglemeister

Post by Turglemeister »

HoneyWagon wrote:
Darren wrote:Damn... forgot the img tags.

This made me laugh more than I should have.

Does that make me a bad person?
Possibly the most confusingly funny thing I've ever seen?

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Radical feminists joining the ranks of Secular Woman (oh, how they have fallen):

http://www.secularwoman.org/node/156
We also welcome Soraya Chemaly to the Advisory Council. Chemaly is a well known writer on the intersection of gender in society, uncovering how gender roles and norms function in a patriarchal culture. She writes for a variety of publications, including Alternet, the Feminist Wire, and Huffington Post. Her thoughtful expertise on feminism, gender, and secularism are a valued addition to our advisory council.
What does Chemaly talk about/link on her Tumblr?
"why do we keep hearing about the threat of false rape accusations?"
"Women are not free to live without the constant threat of assault and violence or without being treated like objects and property."
"We HAVE to talk about Masculinity and Guns. We will never solve this problem if we don’t start having a national conversation about guns and gender."

Good thing Mary Ellen left.

Reap

Post by Reap »

#1 SEARCH THREAD ON MY BLOG TODAY ?

PZ MYERS IS AN IDIOT

ha ha ha what a great day!

http://reapsowradio.com/wp-content/uplo ... ation2.gif

SPACKlick

Post by SPACKlick »

[spoiler]
Metalogic42 wrote:
codelette wrote:

I brought this up on Skepchick not too long ago. Apparently the "answer" is that few are reported to the police, and we know about all these unreported rapes because they were "reported" to other sources.

That's a big problem for this graphic, because they're assuming without any sort of evidence that any rape claim is legitimate. But in reality, without the "faced trial" part, the actual numbers are inscrutable.
[/spoiler]

[quote="Metalogic42]But there's a bigger problem with the graphic though. "Reported" is a subset of "Rapists", "Faced Trial" is a subset of "Reported" and "Rapists", etc. But if we take the "Jailed" section out of "Faced Trial", what we have is another subset, one of several different types of people - people who were convicted of rape but got a lighter sentence, people who faced trial as rapists but were convicted of a lesser crime, and people who were found innocent - that is, falsely accused. Those last two types don't count as rapists, and as such don't belong in the "Rapists" group at all.
[/quote][/quote]

From loose digging around on the internet previously 5-15% of reported rapes are determined to be fabricated (8% as an average for false claims) Around 8-20% are convicted (10% as an average conviction rate). Assuming it's as likely to determine innocence (for a false report) as guilt (for a conviction) 44% of rapists are falsely accused.

Now that assumption is flawed for several reasons. First, it takes a lot more proof to get a rape conviction past a jury than to get a police officer or data inspector to find a claim determined false. But even so, of the 82% of reported rapes some will be false and some will be true so graphs like the above are meaningless.

One other thing to note, false rape claims, and true rape claims can often pile on fabricated rape claims as well, spurned partners looking to stick the knife in or seek some compensation come forward assuming a man convicted of rape will be convicted of another more easily.

You can't define a justice system that convicts a high percentage of rapists without also convicting a high percentage of innocent men accused of rape. The balance will never be perfect, so why don't people talk about the reality rather than emotional appeals to spurious numbers?

Eucliwood

Post by Eucliwood »

SPACKlick wrote:
Now that assumption is flawed for several reasons. First, it takes a lot more proof to get a rape conviction past a jury than to get a police officer or data inspector to find a claim determined false. But even so, of the 82% of reported rapes some will be false and some will be true so graphs like the above are meaningless.
SPACKlick, trying to use the "rules" of court - "beyond a reasonable doubt", etc is pretty unfair. If that was enough, there wouldn't be people being released from prison after it turns out - surprise - they are innocent. If it can't be proven beyond a doubt, the jury simply votes on it. With the appeals the prosecution gets to abuse, I'm not surprised... first, I watched cases, read about them, and simply thought "ugh, prosecution system can play dirty!" but now I get it... sometimes all it takes is jury vote.