Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
mordacious1

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by mordacious1 »

@franc

I find most women messy in the kitchen. CLEAN AS YOU GO FOR CHRIST SAKE'S!

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

fascination wrote:Hey everyone! It's been almost a week since I last posted. I had been feeling sick and I thought it was just the flu. Well, it turns out that I am pregnant. My husband is ecstatic. I'm still getting used to the idea. I have been feeling pretty shitty so I may not be on here very much for awhile. Hopefully I'll start feeling better soon. I'm going to try to catch up with all these posts I haven't read now...
Woohoo!!! Congratulations to you and your husband! I hope your sickness goes away very very soon.

Notung

Post by Notung »

Witchy McSexist wrote:it's perform or GTFO because I take the game seriously and don't want to waste my time with underperforming players.
Oh god, Justin, you're one of those! I hate people like you!

;)

fascination

Re: Congratulations

Post by fascination »

mordacious1 wrote:@fascination That's great news! Your first? Enjoy them while they're little, they become unruly teenagers awfully fast. Here's hoping you have an easy pregnancy and no more booze for you.
Thank you hon. This will be our second child. I just wasn't really ready to have another right now with my medical issues. However, our backup birth control failed. I had just went to the damn OB/GYN for a BC script and started using a new backup method until I could start the pill. That is when it happened. After this pregnancy is over, I'm having my tubes tied or an IUD put in. This is the last one for me!

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

Notung wrote:
Witchy McSexist wrote:it's perform or GTFO because I take the game seriously and don't want to waste my time with underperforming players.

;)
Meritocracy is just oppression by other means.

fascination

Post by fascination »

Mykeru wrote:
fascination wrote:Hey everyone! It's been almost a week since I last posted. I had been feeling sick and I thought it was just the flu. Well, it turns out that I am pregnant. My husband is ecstatic.
Do you know whose it is?
LOL, I knew someone would ask me this here. Yup, I know it's my husband's. Unfortunately my sex life is that boring.

Git

Post by Git »

Warcraft is sexist?

The Warcraft of Jaina Proudmoore and Sylvanus? The Warcraft where every single major playable race is a strictly non-sexist in terms of gender roles?

Myers doesn't have a fucking clue what he's talking about. Yet again, he's casting about utterly erroneous aspersions based upon no evidence whatsoever. He's mouthing off utter shite.

Incidentally, Justin, you fucking better be Horde. Just because.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

fascination wrote:Hey everyone! It's been almost a week since I last posted. I had been feeling sick and I thought it was just the flu. Well, it turns out that I am pregnant. My husband is ecstatic. I'm still getting used to the idea. I have been feeling pretty shitty so I may not be on here very much for awhile. Hopefully I'll start feeling better soon. I'm going to try to catch up with all these posts I haven't read now...
Congratulations!!

Git

Post by Git »

Myers et al. remind me of the Ikwanis of the Muslim Brotherhood (currently on the rampage in Egypt) - to them, everything that is wrong with history, or goes wrong day to day is due to those ebil Jooooooos, constantly thwarting their paradise on earth.

But for Myers et al., its the same thing but with those evil misogynists constantly thwarting their paradise on earth.

They even have analogues in privilege = original sin.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Notung wrote:

;)
Challenge modes are serious business.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/s ... #168:15115

franc

Post by franc »

Surprised the baboons haven't had a meltdown about this yet -

http://www.thegloss.com/2012/12/12/sex- ... s-jezebel/

fascination

Post by fascination »

ERV wrote:
SQUEEE YOUR BABY CAN MARRY WILLIAM AND KATES BABY!!
I hope not!
My husband has already started thinking about names for the baby. Abbie was one of the girl names that he liked. He is an Atheist but he's not aware of most of the people involved in this controversy (Elevatorgate/Atheism Plus). He put that name on the list because he liked it.

Git

Post by Git »

justinvacula wrote:
Notung wrote:

;)

Bah. Pesky Draenei.

I've got more OCD points than you anyway :p

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/a ... n/advanced

Altair

Post by Altair »

Git wrote:Warcraft is sexist?

The Warcraft of Jaina Proudmoore and Sylvanus? The Warcraft where every single major playable race is a strictly non-sexist in terms of gender roles?
The last Warcraft game I played was Warcraft 3 so I went searching to refresh my memory, and found this: http://www.wowwiki.com/Jaina_Proudmoore

When a sane person like you and me read that page, this is what we see:
Jaina Proudmoore is the founder and former leader of Theramore Isle, the Alliance's major port in southern Kalimdor. After the destruction of Theramore, she took leadership of the Kirin Tor.[citation needed] She is the daughter of Grand Admiral Daelin Proudmoore, sister of Tandred Proudmoore and Derek Proudmoore, and the alleged half-sister of Finnall Goldensword. She is also the most powerful human sorceress on Azeroth.
And we think : "That's a strong female character, she's a leader and a powerful wizard, and she helped defeat the Archimonde. She is teh cool"

But PZ and his lackeys see this:

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2 ... _Jaina.png

And they think : "Wow, her midriff is showing, that's objectifying! That's teh sexist!"

And then they have the guts to say it's us who have a problem with women :doh:

Git

Post by Git »

franc wrote:Surprised the baboons haven't had a meltdown about this yet -

Guess who the first comment is by, and yes, it is predictably missing the point in between all the neck-snapping...

Git

Post by Git »

Last comment, bah. Last comment.

fascination

Post by fascination »

BarnOwl wrote:
Woohoo!!! Congratulations to you and your husband! I hope your sickness goes away very very soon.
Thank you sweetie! I hope so too. The first trimester was the worst for me last time so it's not that surprising I'm feeling crappy now.

Notung

Post by Notung »

justinvacula wrote:Challenge modes are serious business.
I used to play Guild Wars (the first one) a lot and hated it when good groups could spot that I had no idea what the hell I was doing and kicked me out! I remember it was "how do you get a high rank? Win games. How do you win games? Join a good group. How do you get in a good group? Be a high rank. Da Capo al Coda."

Coda: Ragequit

Git

Post by Git »

Most of the (FOR THE!) Horde races in the Warcraft setting show pronounced sexual dimorphism - that's why armour size is different, ffs.

fascination

Post by fascination »

KiwiInOz wrote:
Congratulations!!
Thank you Kiwi!

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

justinvacula wrote:
Notung wrote:

;)

Somebody has to:

[youtube]LkCNJRfSZBU[/youtube]

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

[youtube]lWLFCEDJFg4[/youtube]

On better days...

You're a paladin! Heal yourself!

TheMan

Post by TheMan »

ERV wrote:Hehehe.

My family didnt force any kind of gender stereotypes on Bro and I. I loved construction sets and hated dolls, bro loved to bake (he would make the treats I brought to class for my birthdays in school), we did gender-neutral sports like golf and bowling. Mom taught us both how to knit (and we both sucked at it). One of my grandmothers taught us both how to sew. She also taught me needlepoint, specifically, crewel, and I loved it (teaching partners girls how to do it now!). Bro wasnt interested.

OH MAH GAWD MY PARENTS WERE SEXIST!!!!!

Geeze...don't get me started on this topic. My parents were HUGE on gender roles. My dad is a sexist old dog...aka men don't do stuff in the kitchen yadda yadda. But I played soccer, played chase and kiss, knitted, french knitting and crochet ( I was 13 and crocheted my baby brother a blanket). Mum never seemed concerned about pressing a stereotype. Dad.... *sigh*

But get this..at the time I didn't know they were hardocre lesbian feminist but I was 16 years old and involved with a Youth Theatre and I used to like repairing the costumes. I'm sewing away and two women walk in and started making comments like I was a painting in an art gallery...ohh look how his lips curl...do you think he might be jewish?...look how he gracefully threads the needle....THEN they proceed to rate my masculinity and femininity...they gave me a 9 out of 10 for each.... at least that was something hehe. I was disturbed by it hence why I still remember it so clearly...and to top it all off my dad reckons I was gay for doing theatre. I wasn't offended by any of this..just confused because it just didn't make sense.

I've always done what ever took my interest and do it passionately.... never really conformed to gender sterotypes.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

I think Vacula has seriously damaged himself with this latest bullshit. I'm going to start with his "excuse" (yes, let's call it that. If he was fully behind his own words, why would he have written this?):
Ophelia and PZ are reacting to a quick comment I made on a blog earlier whilst on my mobile phone
Trying to gently disown something which one has placed into the internet's inescapable electrons is stupid, pointless and reeks of both a lack of conviction and a sense of guilt.

The original comment was this:
Atheism is a ‘guy thing,’ I would say, like needlepoint is a ‘girl thing.’
Now come on, that is fucking ridiculous. It's not witty, it's not snarky, it's not an incisive viewpoint. It's the words of a cunt, and a cunt who is now trying to wriggle out from under the weight of that cuntishness with some Watson-like sleight of hand ("But I was on my cellphone, and it was a quick comment, and - oh, look at that pretty bird - AHA! The coin has gone! Oooooh....").

Cunt.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Git wrote: Incidentally, Justin, you fucking better be Horde. Just because.

Ahahahahaha!

Most of my toons were Alliance but I also had some Horde because some Alliance really just needed to be killed and their body camped.

For fun I would sometimes kill all the auctioneers in Stormwind on my Belf Pally. Then get on my Alliance Pally and do the same to the bankers in Orgrimmar. Good times!

Playing EQ2 now because I got tired to having to L2P every two years among other things (have to admit that I sometimes miss the PVP though).

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Altair wrote:But PZ and his lackeys see this:

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2 ... _Jaina.png

And they think : "Wow, her midriff is showing, that's objectifying! That's teh sexist!"

And then they have the guts to say it's us who have a problem with women :doh:
I do not raid but here is my evil Inquisitor named "Iadore Lucy" without her midriff showing because she is wearing a full set of armour:

http://u.eq2wire.com/soe/appearance_items/2168961129317

(can not be arsed to take a screen shot and upload it right now)

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Git wrote: Incidentally, Justin, you fucking better be Horde. Just because.

Ahahahahaha!

Most of my toons were Alliance but I also had some Horde because some Alliance really just needed to be killed and their body camped.

For fun I would sometimes kill all the auctioneers in Stormwind on my Belf Pally. Then get on my Alliance Pally and do the same to the bankers in Orgrimmar. Good times!

Playing EQ2 now because I got tired to having to L2P every two years among other things (have to admit that I sometimes miss the PVP though).
Fuck knows what you wierdos are talking about.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Thanks, all, for the continued Amazon.com purchases through the search box in the footer. I'll be posting a list of purchases plus commissions at the end of this quarter, and sending Abbie a (smallish) check for (total commission - ISP costs)/2.

Thanks again to everyone who has donated via PayPal, but to people who took the time to add extra snark about me making the effort to add currency-specific donation buttons, kiss my arse.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Thanks, all, for the continued Amazon.com purchases through the search box in the footer. I'll be posting a list of purchases plus commissions at the end of this quarter, and sending Abbie a (smallish) check for (total commission - ISP costs)/2.

Thanks again to everyone who has donated via PayPal, but to people who took the time to add extra snark about me making the effort to add currency-specific donation buttons, kiss my arse.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

You're welcome.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

You're welcome.

HoneyWagon

Post by HoneyWagon »

franc wrote:Surprised the baboons haven't had a meltdown about this yet -

Thanks for the link. That was good post.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Lsuoma wrote:.... kiss my arse.
Stick it up close to your web cam and I'm sure there are some that will oblige.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Congratulations!!! What a shocker, hunh; another one of those "life is what happens when you're making other plans" kind of things. Hope you feel better soon.

fascination wrote:I am pregnant
I'm going to go waayyyyyy out on a limb here and declare that particular state to be "a girl thing".

cunt

Post by cunt »

Bit of early morning Pharyngula. Page 2 in the comment section seems to have gotten a bit interesting. As it generally tends to when noelplum99 posts.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... /#comments

Particularly funny Nerd Of Redhead meltdown. Little guy just keeps squawking "citation needed", "OPINION IS NOT EVIDENCE". *sob* "fuckwitted loser" *sob*

http://i.imgur.com/vo62h.jpg

Oh yeah and that idiotic Tony guy turns up at the end to try and guilt-by-association Jim.

cunt

Post by cunt »

franc if you need pics for "things baboons say" this thing is a goldmine.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Skep tickle wrote:
fascination wrote:I am pregnant
I'm going to go waayyyyyy out on a limb here and declare that particular state to be "a girl thing".
MISOGYNIST.

Pinker

Post by Pinker »

I'd already screencapped a few of Tony's brilliant moments. I'm glad i checked that far into the comments:

The Slymepit is Lex Luthor to FreeThoughtBlogs Superman! 8-)
You treat people inhumanly, you dirtbag piece of shit!

http://i.imgur.com/EhjM0.jpg

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

I want my money back. I haven't been treated like shit here, even though FtB promised.

Pinker

Post by Pinker »

cunt wrote:franc if you need pics for "things baboons say" this thing is a goldmine.
#649 is a good one too, although that's not so funny. Tony really goes off the rails.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

cunt wrote:Bit of early morning Pharyngula. Page 2 in the comment section seems to have gotten a bit interesting. As it generally tends to when noelplum99 posts.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... /#comments

Particularly funny Nerd Of Redhead meltdown. Little guy just keeps squawking "citation needed", "OPINION IS NOT EVIDENCE". *sob* "fuckwitted loser" *sob*

http://i.imgur.com/vo62h.jpg

Oh yeah and that idiotic Tony guy turns up at the end to try and guilt-by-association Jim.
Fuck me sideways with a slow boiled porcupine. There is some serious je ne sais quoit there. For example:

Tony ∞The Queer Shoop∞
13 December 2012 at 11:37 pm (UTC -6) Link to this comment
ezekiel:

From the outside, this pointless bickering is ridiculous and doesn’t serve any purpose other than to give well-established members a free rein to shout down anyone with a difference of opinion.

I don’t care if you’re on the inside, outside, or some combo of both:
the Slymepitters are in the wrong.
These are people that treat women like shit.
They don’t care about advancing feminism.
They treat so many people inhumanly.
They are the antithesis of what Phayrngula–and FtB at large–stands for.

The Slymepit is Lex Luthor to FreetThoughtBlogs’ Superman.

The bickering between the two is because the ‘Pit actively seeks to silence women and treat their concerns as insignificant. There is no equivalence to be drawn. There is no “both sides are just as bad” argument. If you think that, you seriously have a critical thinking malfunction.
To all of the women on this site, please accept my apologies for the way that we treat you and all other members of your gender.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Pinker wrote:I'd already screencapped a few of Tony's brilliant moments. I'm glad i checked that far into the comments:

The Slymepit is Lex Luthor to FreeThoughtBlogs Superman! 8-)
You treat people inhumanly, you dirtbag piece of shit!

http://i.imgur.com/EhjM0.jpg
Damn you are quick. And yours looks far nicer than mine.

cunt

Post by cunt »

Pinker wrote:
cunt wrote:franc if you need pics for "things baboons say" this thing is a goldmine.
#649 is a good one too, although that's not so funny. Tony really goes off the rails.
I only just started noticing that guy in the last few weeks. Dunno if he's was a regular before then. He strikes me as a n00b who just thinks this is what the baboons do. Like he has to that extreme to fit in with them.

Hilarious if that's it.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

AnonymousCowherd wrote:
Steersman wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:Well, it's like beating a dead horse, but here's one from Setar at A+ forum:
The victim-blamers are the harassers

Opening post, with link to http://www.livescience.com/13654-victim ... sment.html

One has to wonder, particularly as I didn’t see any link to the specific study, how statistically significant the results were – the averages of 6 versus 5. In addition one has to wonder how carefully the researchers compensated for any differences in the capabilities of the individuals in the first place.

Lies, damned lies and statistics …. Methinks there’s some possibility that some people have their thumbs on the scales ….
Anywho, there just isn't enough information on those reports to tell if the study (studies?) was legit or not. From the commentary given, it looks like a pile of shite but, who knows, maybe there are hidden depths in the published works. <Fails to hold breath.>

Seriously, how did that get past any competent supervisor/grant approval etc etc? I don't even know where to begin with that stuff. Oh, yes I do. How the hell do you know that (a) there is an effect (b) it has anything to do with your supposed independent variable and (c) it bears any veridical relationship to the real world? Must be the "my leanings as fixed effect fallacy".
Reminds of an interesting observation or claim from PZ recently to the effect that there is an awful lot of crap that is published these days, even in supposed “reputable journals”. More than a few have criticized that state of affairs – for example, Lee Smolin in his The Trouble with Physics – but it seems that there is somewhat of a consensus that a large portion of the blame can be laid at the doorstep of the “publish or perish” “principle”. Reminds me of the case of “the African long-tailed widow bird” – discussed in some detail by Dawkins in his The Blind Watchmaker [pg 201] – the males of which are, supposedly, just barely able to get airborne before becoming lunch for predators because the females have selected for those decidedly unaerodynamic, but oh so fetching, long tails.
AnonymousCowherd wrote:Also:
Gervais and her colleagues trained research assistants to do a quick up-and-down look at a person's body and to train their gaze at the other person's chest for a consistent period of a few seconds during conversations. It was harder than it sounds, Gervais said.
After the assistants had undergone close to 30 hours of gaze-training apiece, the researchers asked 67 women and 83 men, all college students, to come to the lab.
You had to train people men to ogle and it took thirty hours!?
Job security if not actually fraud by the look of it. “It’s in my genes / jeans, man!”

Although the recent kerfuffle initiated by Watson’s specious criticisms of evolutionary psychology leads one to think that there are some quite problematic and questionable biases and assumptions in play in the discussion which leads to some rather bizarre arguments. For example, I find it quite curious and more than a little amusing to note that many seem to be quite happy to argue that “rape” is a “guy thing”, but get “their knickers in a twist” at the thought that it might be true that “needlepoint is a girl thing”.

Although the problem seems to be compounded by the fact that many seem to be unable to comprehend that those stereotypes are predicated on statistical distributions – that they are “descriptive”, not “prescriptive” even if some have a regrettable tendency to the latter while others – Ophelia Benson, for instance – seem not to know whereof they speak. I mean for her to assert, in effect, that “it’s a guy thing” is a sexist stereotype and to point out with some peevishness that Michael Shermer said just that, and then finally to argue that she didn’t call him a sexist is almost too rich for words.

However, for what I think is a rather cogent synopsis of that general problem you might be interested in this newspaper article which profiles Steve Pinker’s The Blank Slate and which makes this salient observation:
That’s why people don’t touch taboos; yet as Pinker argued in the book, the great taboo of today is that of human nature and the blank slate is a sacred doctrine. Despite the book's impact, 10 years later the blank-slate model of human nature is still routinely discussed as fact, rather than fantasy, and continues to have serious implications for society ….

cunt

Post by cunt »

http://i.imgur.com/d8ZHm.jpg

Oh okay, if you say so Peez.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Noelplum has a bunch of good comments in that thread, and there are other reasonable people weighing in (or trying to).

#571 caught my eye. NP gives stats on his Youtube viewers, including gender distribution, from google analytics. But how reliable is google analytics for this purpose? Anyone know if it uses the same info, or makes the same assumptions, as Google Ads Preferences? Because in that arena I have long been assumed to be male (wrong) and 25-34 (wrong), and those assumptions haven't changed since I first checked a year ago. And I'm not the only woman assumed to be male: Google thinks I'm a middle-aged man. What about you?

(I've figured that the default might be male, perhaps in part to avoid assuming men are women. Presumably "assumed-male-but-actually-female" is considered a generally more acceptable error than "assumed-female-but-actually-male".)

My preferences at Google Ad Preferences Manager include Science, Business, News, and Politics. I suspect that visiting so many atheist & skeptic sites probably also plays into its assumptions, but Atheism isn't listed as a separate category. It may be folded into on of the others.

So it seems possible (without my having looked to actually find out anything about how google analytics works, ha) that google analytics could be making a very basic error in both assuming that users who visit atheist/skeptic sites or watch atheist/skeptic videos can be reliably labeled as male, and then concluding that so-labeled users visiting atheist/skeptic sites or watching atheist/skeptic videos are indeed male. That seems like so basic and stupid an error...could it be happening?

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Off topic: I've been looking at Everyday Sexism (twitter)'s feed of all these apparently sexist things that happen to women. The problem is that until these incidents I'd only heard of them directed at men.

Also: Congrats fascination!

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

There's a link to Jeremy's post here somehwere right? http://www.jeremystyron.com/2012/12/the-neofeminists/

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

I don't understand the kerfuffle over describing needlepoint as a "girl thing". You're talking about a stereotype, it appears to be in quotation marks, and needlepoint is seen as a "girl thing". Am I missing something? (I often am LOL.)

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

cunt wrote:http://i.imgur.com/d8ZHm.jpg

Oh okay, if you say so Peez.
It might be true that one or two posting there are “passionate, focused and ferocious”, although the percentage drops precipitously when noelplum vacates the premises. The rest? Largely a bunch of fucking ignorant dickheads.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

rayshul wrote:Off topic: I've been looking at Everyday Sexism (twitter)'s feed of all these apparently sexist things that happen to women. The problem is that until these incidents I'd only heard of them directed at men.
"Women Under Siege"? (twitter account, big fan of EverydaySexism)

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Skep tickle wrote:Noelplum has a bunch of good comments in that thread, and there are other reasonable people weighing in (or trying to).
Indeed, he does, notably this one:
398. noelplum99
13 December 2012 at 12:48 pm (UTC -6)

@389
When we observe other mammals we see differences between the sexes in terms of behaviour that are not clouded by culture in the same way they are with humans. I am thinking off the top of my head and other than cetaceans I can’t think of another group of mammals that doesn’t observe some innate behavioural difference (and that, i presume, just shows my ignorance of cetaceans)

So your ‘null hypothesis’ is that homo sapiens are unlike other mammals? Have I got that right?
Why would this be your expectation?

Jim.
That seems to be the basic assumption over there, that we are, in effect, “God’s chosen species” and so have extra swag and none of our behaviours are anything other than culturally determined or intrinsic rationality bestowed by Jehovah Hisself. You might be interested in Stephanie Zvan’s latest and typically egregious sally into those regions, but which looks more like an exercise in intellectual dishonesty – being charitable.

But interesting observations about Google’s demographic statistics – bias and assumptions and their effects aren’t always easy to discern or compensate for.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Skep tickle wrote:
rayshul wrote:Off topic: I've been looking at Everyday Sexism (twitter)'s feed of all these apparently sexist things that happen to women. The problem is that until these incidents I'd only heard of them directed at men.
"Women Under Siege"? (twitter account, big fan of EverydaySexism)
I haven't seen that - ElevatorGate has just been on a retweeting binge (bless his heart).

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

rayshul wrote:I don't understand the kerfuffle over describing needlepoint as a "girl thing". You're talking about a stereotype, it appears to be in quotation marks, and needlepoint is seen as a "girl thing". Am I missing something? (I often am LOL.)
Needlepointers seem to be camera-shy; hard to find a photo of a group of them (as a start at assessing diversity).

But here's a list of Officers in The National NeedleArts Association: http://www.tnna.org/members/group.asp?id=82876

Assuming gender from first names (which could be an invalid assumption), it looks like there are 7 men and 7 women in the list, with the Board President, Vice-President, and Immediate Past President likely male (Joel, Dale, and Matt), and with the Secretary likely female (Sharon). I guess I'm also assuming cis-gender because we haven't specified whether needlepoint being "a girl thing" might also include it being "a trans-girl thing".

So, there you go! Proof that needlepointers are 50:50 male:female and that needlepoint is not "a girl thing". :mrgreen:

real horrorshow

Post by real horrorshow »

Mykeru wrote:I will donate a dollar to their future utopia in the exclusion zone.
http://i.imgur.com/paDWJ.jpg

Trophy

Post by Trophy »

John Brown wrote: Just as a thought experiment, imagine this.

I decide to critique the beauty pageant world. I'm nearly a complete outsider to it, though I do have some cursory knowledge from popular culture and some hands on knowledge because my daughter participated briefly in a circuit when she was younger. ....

After a series of these videos, I start a Kickstarter campaign and to ask for money so I can continue my "research," which will entail traveling several beauty pageant circles, buying and watching every Miss America Pageant since its inception, etc, etc, etc...

I will then take the *ABSOLUTELY PREDICTABLE* invective I will get from the beauty pageant world and use it as proof that they all hate men. I will show every sexist comment (and believe me, there will be thousands of them) as proof as to why this "research" is needed. I will block and delete any reasonable disagreement made against my position so only the most egregious troll comments are shown.
Again, if the pegeant world begins a harrassment campaign by drawing pictures of you naked in various sexual positions and then emails them to you, yes, they are full of shit. However, if what they do is to respond back with critcism and arguments then there is no blame with them. This is a quite trivial statement and I doubt you would disagree with this. You might say that it's just too obvious doesn't need to be mentioned but when you are dealing with kids (i.e., FTB crowd) it's good to mention the obvious.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

rayshul wrote:I don't understand the kerfuffle over describing needlepoint as a "girl thing". You're talking about a stereotype, it appears to be in quotation marks, and needlepoint is seen as a "girl thing". Am I missing something? (I often am LOL.)
I think it is basically that Ophelia’s perceptions, which she shares with many, are that some stereotypes are considered more valuable than others: Unbelieving in God is thinky work, and women don’t do thinky, because “that’s a guy thing” and therefore at the top of the totem pole, whereas needlepoint is disparaged as a “girly” thing.

Yet she is apparently blind to other stereotypes where the shoe is on the other foot: rape, as I’ve mentioned, or that most of the people in jails are male, while, if I’m not mistaken, most nurses and grade-school teachers – suggestive of “our better natures” – happen to be female.

In similar situations, failing to note all of the applicable cases tends to be the mark of the fanatic or the demagogue or the willfully obtuse ….

Trophy

Post by Trophy »

Altair wrote: So here we have a MAN that claims that scantily clad women and skimpy armor and outfits are viciously sexist and objectifying for WOMEN, and on the other side we have a WOMAN who enjoys having her characters dress like that and who raises some rather mild objections that have to do mainly with practicality (she also has some objections related to body image, in which she acknowledges that the issues affect both men and women).

PZ, Y U NO LISTEN TO WOMEN?
Back in the day when I was still commenting on pharyngula, I had an argument with one of those ideologues because she was claiming that "Women don't like it when guys do X" (I don't remember what exactly it was). When I told her I'm pretty sure I can find many women who say they like it when guys do X (and I gave her a few blogs where women said why they like it when guys do X). Then I mentioned that it is better to rephrase the beginning to "Most women don't like it" or the better "Some women don't like it" or even the best "I don't like it". I think she blinked a few times and then replied back "Women don't like it when guys do X!"

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Well I'm talking about the stereotype, not the reality - the idea of something being a "girl thing" in quotation marks I kinda assumed meant it was to ridicule the idea of something being a "girl thing". Like needlepoint, or wearing an apron, or being a good little wife-type. Like, the old fashioned stuff.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

rayshul wrote:Well I'm talking about the stereotype, not the reality - the idea of something being a "girl thing" in quotation marks I kinda assumed meant it was to ridicule the idea of something being a "girl thing". Like needlepoint, or wearing an apron, or being a good little wife-type. Like, the old fashioned stuff.
But the argument seems to be that the stereotype, buying into it, tends to influence opportunities and rights. For instance, one of the definitions of sexism [not the Atheism Plus one in their Glossary which is totally fucked] is:
sexism: Attitudes, conditions, or behaviors that promote stereotyping of social roles based on gender.
Perfectly acceptable, I think, to be aware of those stereotypes which frequently have more than a little justification or truth to them - it is simply a matter of fact that there are more female grade-school teachers than males; that there are more males than females in the A/S cohort; that there are, apparently, more male than female Pharnygulites ("sexists!"). But not acceptable to be limiting civil rights or opportunities on the basis of them. Unfortunately many including Benson have a tendency to conflate those two aspects which is a problem in itself.

But the quoting of the various phrases is a little problematic - in some cases it is a literal quote of what someone said, at other times it seems to point to some questionable interpretations of them - both pro and con.