Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Old subthreads
piginthecity
.
.
Posts: 1003
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:20 am
Contact:

Trigger warning : Shakespeare !!

#35521

Post by piginthecity » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:59 am

Dick Strawkins wrote:Laden reviews PZ Myers new book.
http://scienceblogs.com/gregladen/2013/ ... y-atheist/

... but rest assured this is NOT a collection of Pharyngula blog posts ... not simply a set of more advanced ... PZ wrote most of these essays in a different place ... different software .... different mix of caffeinated beverages ...different time of day ... different prompts ... you won’t be surprised .... they are not his blog
Methinks the Laden doth protest too much !!

Tribble
.
.
Posts: 5102
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#35522

Post by Tribble » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:59 am

katamari Damassi wrote:The thing that gets me about anti-porn feminists is how they go after gay porn. Porn that features no women at all is harmful to women how? A radfem will tell you that the man being penetrated is playing the role of.a woman and therefore it is exploiting women. Anti-porn feminists are simply anti-sex.

It's because they have the magic of Patriarchy... And both camps of gender feminists use Patriarchy as part of their pro/anti-porn arguments. And fashion. And being a 'homemaker.' And gaming. And education. And pretty much every issue they fight over.

Which gets us down the fundamental core of feminism -- it's all the fault of Patriarchy, unless it's good, then it's the fruits of the struggle of feminism.

Walter Ego
.
.
Posts: 536
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:51 pm
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#35523

Post by Walter Ego » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:04 am

Tribble wrote:
bovarchist wrote:
Tribble wrote:

Sigh. It's not a switch. It's not a mix. And I can't believe a gay man of today is trotting out one of the stupider gay social justice warrior tropes from the 70's and 80's. I thought that particular bit of made-up silliness went out in the early 1980s, along with Queer 10% and other such stuff. I mean, that is just fucking old and dead .

Really, Walter, you don't suddenly wake up one day after decades of banging pussy and say "Wow, that guy is cute, I'm switching sides..." or get a crush on Tom Cruise or any such shit. Your orientation, as far as we can tell, is hard wired from before you had your first rational, conscious thought as a toddler.
No, what you say is "I was in just in denial all this time I was banging pussy."
That made me laugh.
Funny but true. There are gay men who come out in their 50s, 60s and older after decades of str8 marriage and pussy banging... and no dick on the side either.

AndrewV69
.
.
Posts: 7957
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:52 pm
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#35524

Post by AndrewV69 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:05 am

I thought some of you guys may be interested in this. In this neck of the woods you regularly see Orcas and Porpoises.

Orcas:
Friends of my neighbours took this video recently near where I live. The houses you see near the water at 3:19 can only be reached by boat. Most of them are inhabited year round. My house is in the opposite direction and high up in the hills.
[youtube]vfB-VWsVdW0[/youtube]

Porpoises:
till you have seen them in action I suspect a lot of people have no idea how fast these guys can swim. I have watched them go zooming past a water taxi like it was standing still. Here they are just swimming along with the speedboat.
[youtube]0zG9R6qMdtk[/youtube]

Walter Ego
.
.
Posts: 536
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:51 pm
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#35525

Post by Walter Ego » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:08 am

AndrewV69 wrote:I thought some of you guys may be interested in this.
I, for one, am not interested but thanks for posting it for those who are interested.

AndrewV69
.
.
Posts: 7957
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:52 pm
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#35526

Post by AndrewV69 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:28 am

katamari Damassi wrote:The thing that gets me about anti-porn feminists is how they go after gay porn. Porn that features no women at all is harmful to women how? A radfem will tell you that the man being penetrated is playing the role of.a woman and therefore it is exploiting women. Anti-porn feminists are simply anti-sex.
Erm ... a common manosphere trope is that these anti-sex advocates are RadFem lesbians who hate all men period.

All male sexuality must be carefully regulated and monitored and criminalized where possible. So it does not matter to them if you are gay. You are still a man.

If you can understand that then you should not be surprised at their hatred of m-f trans either.

Mykeru
.
.
Posts: 4758
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:52 am
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#35527

Post by Mykeru » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:30 am

Walter Ego wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:I thought some of you guys may be interested in this.
I, for one, am not interested but thanks for posting it for those who are interested.
If only we could say that about your posts.

Mykeru
.
.
Posts: 4758
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:52 am
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#35528

Post by Mykeru » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:32 am

CommanderTuvok wrote:
bovarchist wrote:Mind you, Gould's books were promoted and billed as collections of his monthly essays in Natural History. Everybody understood that they were anthologies of previously published (and unrelated) short pieces. If Myers' book were subtitled 'the best of Pharyngula' it would at least be more honest.
The Best of Pharyngula?

:lol:
Yes, that's what's called a"handbill" or "flyer".

Walter Ego
.
.
Posts: 536
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:51 pm
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#35529

Post by Walter Ego » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:37 am

AndrewV69 wrote:All male sexuality must be carefully regulated and monitored and criminalized where possible. So it does not matter to them if you are gay. You are still a man.

If you can understand that then you should not be surprised at their hatred of m-f trans either.
Wachs her name said I was a gay MRA.

One of my best friends, now deceased, was a tranny. What do these femi-Nazis have against m-f trannies?

bhoytony
.
.
Posts: 3016
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:56 am
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#35530

Post by bhoytony » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:41 am

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Don't care about being grabbed. I think I actually like the feeling of recognition.

And the hands on my bollocks, of course, that goes without saying...
Yes Phil we know, you've already told us about hanging around where the transexual prostitutes will grope you.

Personally I hate people touching me. Keep your paws off of me unless you're going to fuck me or fight me.

Walter Ego
.
.
Posts: 536
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:51 pm
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#35531

Post by Walter Ego » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:43 am

Mykeru wrote:
Walter Ego wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:I thought some of you guys may be interested in this.
I, for one, am not interested but thanks for posting it for those who are interested.
If only we could say that about your posts.
Ha! 'Good one! I am totally devastated and may need some smelling salts and a mint julep to recover.

Za-zen
.
.
Posts: 2623
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:39 am
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#35532

Post by Za-zen » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:49 am

I worked as a club bouncer for over a decade, and females are far more gropey than males. Trying to get home with your uniform intact, was a job in itself. Ass grabs, crotch grabs, and the ever present, i can't talk to you without resting my hand on your pec. Why? Because they get away with it. There is a myth which pervades gender feminism which portrays males as predators, and females as prey. It is a fundamental presupposition to their whole croc of crap.

Of course in the club scenario gropey females are only gropey because they have been drugged with alcohol by the system, so they are actually non consenting gropers. And objecting to their groping is slut shaming.

The difference they argue, is potential threat. I.e shrodinger's rapist. In other words a female groping is non threatening, a male groping, is you guessed it, potential rapist! Non sequitur of course, but the predator prey construct informs everything.

Pitchguest
.
.
Posts: 3828
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:44 pm
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#35533

Post by Pitchguest » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:50 am

KenD wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:Prostitution is made illegal (I'm not sure but I guess it's already illegal in Ireland) with all the legal penalties falling on the purchasers rather than the prostitute her or himself.
Actually, prostitution is current legal in the Republic of Ireland. A lot of the things associated with it, like street solicitation and managing a brothel, are illegal, but the actual act of exchanging sex for money isn't criminalised. An escort can legally advertise her services and work without the interference of the police, just like in the UK (although feminists are fighting to change that too). In my experience Catholics are typically more tolerant of the sex industry than feminists.

As for all the legal penalties falling on the purchaser, rather than the prostitute: that's how this law is sold to the public, but it's not really the case. For example, feminist campaigners want to make it illegal to advertise prostitution services, so an escort putting an advert online would be committing an offence. The law also criminalises women who work together and share an apartment, effectively classifying them as each other's pimps.

Quite a few sex workers in Sweden have spoken out about how the law has negatively affected them:

[youtube]7D7nOh57-I8[/youtube]
Look at this shit. Comments on the video from a self-proclaimed radical feminist.
How many of ya'll atre getting raped or abused? Fact is, men have 10% to 15% more body weight than womyn, so get the fuck outta here with that. It's a fact that the patriarchy is aimed at oppressing us. Yes, it can oppress men who express the "feminine" ie gay or want to wear dresses ie conform to gender norm female ways of dress, but how the fuck is enabling rape victim blame so that you can have access to unconsenting womyn's bodies oppression? Fact is, most tricks want SUBMISSIVE
womyn. That's why you tricks shouldn't be in the movement. Not only is it a labor issue, but the fact is with most of you all arguing that we need to decriminalize it to "avert ie stop rape", that's why it's also a womyn's rights issue and not a rapists banner's issue as you want to make it become!
Bitch, femail genital mutilation is when, okay, how would you like it if someone chopped off your dick? Or clit IS a mini dick. That is what happens in femail clitoral mutilation. In our
rape minded culture, it is supposed to be bad form for the womyn to want to cut her rapist attacker's dick off (but god forbid, she should suffer the fault and be blamed if SHE gets attacked for what she wore for her getting attacked). So you can't compare the femail clitoral mutilation to merely cutting off EXCESSIVE SKIN since cutting off my clit is the equivalent/ the same to cutting off YOUR DICK! Dumbass, pick up a biology book, stupidass!
nor should be allowed to make decisions about our own bodies - but I find that the pro sex worker side "males" tend to feel an entitlement to our bodies in that their attitudes towards us, the whore virgin complex dynamic is still there but they act as if they promote sex worker's rights while saying that they are for it because "It's a man's need to spread his seed" while not seeing it for what it is which is a womyn's rights issues because after all we are the ones who go to
jail or prison for being "unrespectable", "immoral" womyn (sounds a bit like the reformatories. I am saying this to say that i don't like or appreciate you knocking feminism, esp. radical fake feminism (I consider myself a rad feminist because it is radical to think that womyn and sex workers should have free agency over our bodies, which is what the patriarchy in all it's forms are opposed to) or religion when the real problem is the patriarchy and men who feel entitled to
disrespect womyn because we are different, whether it's expressed through trying to control our bodies (anti-sex workers) or feeling entitled to our bodies because of your so called manly desire to spread your seed (pro sex worker male "activist). After all, men were the ones who created the laws. I don't appreciate guys trying to create division between womyn, which is why I feel men esp. tricks should stay out of all womyn's issues unless they have a grasp of what is going on
and are not trying to bring their anti-matriarchal womyn agenda into it, like so many so called pro sex worker males tend to do. Just check out my video entitled, "Why Tricks Shouldn't Be Apart of the Sex Worker's Rights Movement". Or maybe you are the problem?
Her name? HappyHooker83.

headexplode.gif

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks
Posts: 2669
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:05 pm
Location: New Westminster, BC, Canada
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#35534

Post by John Greg » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:52 am

Stefunny Inzvanity still can hazzing teh big angries (http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... -civility/):
Providing a forum for more abuse to go unchallenged while simultaneously telling us how to behave.
Hmm. A bad thing apparently, when it is someone other than FfTB/Skepchick doing it.
Steve Snyder made his comment. It sat for two hours with me and one other person having down-voted it. I mentioned privately to someone that it felt like crap to watch it sit there unchallenged. That person made the comment as “Guest”. I then blogged about it. Then it got down-voted.
Yes, yes, rather like Carriers 6000+ downvotes versus -600 upvotes means it's all just haters hating with no valid points -- or in this instance, the lack of haters hating correctly meaning not enough people came to my defense by hating correctly. WAHHH!
Nor did JT fucking concur. JT’s statement was, “What? Uh, I dunno. Not worth my attention.”
So, of course, JT was just lying ... because; just because.
I don’t want a blog post. I don’t want more words. I want the comment section in which I am now being abused by several people from the slime pit because I objected to the abuse of one person being allowed to stand to be dealt with. I’m done with words. I’m done with disclaimers. I want action.
HAHAHAHAHA!

Silence the heathens! Silence them now! Blasphemers! Infidels! Burn; burn; burn!

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks
Posts: 2669
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:05 pm
Location: New Westminster, BC, Canada
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#35535

Post by John Greg » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:55 am

Stefunny, in the words of your best pal ... "get off the rag and kiss my ass".

--- courtesy of Greg Laden, world's greatest feminist and freethinker.

Walter Ego
.
.
Posts: 536
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:51 pm
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Re: Catching Up on Some Topics

#35536

Post by Walter Ego » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:58 am

Mykeru wrote: No one ever touches me.


Personally, I wouldn't touch you with a ten foot pole. You scare me shitless, so much so that I use your posts as a laxative.

Voryn
.
.
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:36 pm
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#35537

Post by Voryn » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:59 am

JT has another post up to win back the AngryZvan

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/wwjtd/2013 ... are-jerks/

This post isn't as hefty as the previous one but is structured similarly, 90% *Erhmagad! Slimeybad!* and the rest, well, the other 10% is basically that too. I feel a bit bad for JT, he's so naive to think that these people won't throw him under the bus in a heartbeat to get what they want.

He has a facebook status update saying:
JT wrote:I just don't get it. I'm using English words with English speakers, and yet somehow some people are still hearing the exact opposite of what I'm saying. Is it opposite week?
Not at all JT, you're just a pawn in their game. Your words don't matter, if they don't control you, you're the enemy and their dramapawn.

acathode
.
.
Posts: 888
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:46 am
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#35538

Post by acathode » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:01 am

katamari Damassi wrote:The thing that gets me about anti-porn feminists is how they go after gay porn. Porn that features no women at all is harmful to women how? A radfem will tell you that the man being penetrated is playing the role of.a woman and therefore it is exploiting women. Anti-porn feminists are simply anti-sex.
I don't think it's so much "anti-sex" as "anti male sexuality", female sexuality is generally something that is encouraged and viewed as something good, as long as it occurs in a situation that 100% controlled by the women.

When it comes to male sexuality though... much of feminism have some REALLY REALLY big issues. Their views on male sexuality seems to vary from it being something dark and terrible that scares them shitless, to something that needs to be very strictly controlled and leashed. Porn and sex-workers very much breaks that control, and therefore must be 1) bad. 2) must be something that the men force the women to do.

Current mainstream feminism problems when it comes to dealing with male sexuality is IMO really one of their top problems, it's what creates much of the "anti-male" undercurrent that makes feminism so off putting to so many people.

I have to say I haven't seen any feminist bash on gay porn though? Calling it degrading to women sounds just fucked up, esp. if someone tried to do it by implying that "the bottom" is somehow being a woman. That's almost saying that the gay men who watch gay porn really isn't gay but actually straight... that sounds potentially "offensive" to the HBT community?

One interesting dilemma regarding feminism and porn/gay porn however: If normal heterosexual porn degrades women, then why doesn't gay porn degrade men? The usual "it objectifies the woman" completely breaks down, since men in gay porn is just as objectified as any woman in straight porn.

AndrewV69
.
.
Posts: 7957
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:52 pm
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#35539

Post by AndrewV69 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:04 am

KenD wrote: The law also criminalises women who work together and share an apartment, effectively classifying them as each other's pimps.

Quite a few sex workers in Sweden have spoken out about how the law has negatively affected them:

7D7nOh57-I8
If you accept the premise that the motivation is hatred of men then perhaps things begin to make more sense. It also explains the disparity between the stated reasons and the actual effects. The sex workers are just so much collateral damage.

If memory serves I once tried to point out that FadFems like Catharine MacKinnon were dangerous because of her work in attempting to change the laws and her overall influence towards that end.

(do not be surprised if welsh goes off into full baboon mode again now that I have mentioned MacKinnon)

Anyway, if you look at Sweden and other places where the RadFems like Mackinnon have been successful, you have some idea of how they actually work out. I doubt that this is unintentional or that they were unaware of the likely results either.

bovarchist
.
.
Posts: 1925
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:07 am
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#35540

Post by bovarchist » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:06 am

Voryn wrote: Not at all JT, you're just a pawn in their game. Your words don't matter, if they don't control you, you're the enemy and their dramapawn.
[youtube]DtrC3rMP1lQ[/youtube]

KenD
.
.
Posts: 279
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:04 am
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#35541

Post by KenD » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:13 am

Walter Ego wrote:One of my best friends, now deceased, was a tranny. What do these femi-Nazis have against m-f trannies?
The Transsexual Empire: The Making of the She-Male by Janice Raymond is the origin of a lot of radfem arguments against transpeople.

"All transsexuals rape women's bodies by reducing the real female form to an artifact, appropriating this body for themselves .... Transsexuals merely cut off the most obvious means of invading women, so that they seem non-invasive."

A lot of modern radfems go further than that, genuinely believing that m-f transexuals only become women so that they can infiltrate women's spaces, subvert feminism from the inside, and gain access to vulnerable women to rape them more easily. It's completely deranged stuff even by conspiracy theory standards.

Zenspace
.
.
Posts: 923
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:13 am
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#35542

Post by Zenspace » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:16 am

good article on the subject of 'privilege':

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2013/ ... _253069845

Paging Ron Lindsay, paging Ron Lindsay...

Dick Strawkins
.
.
Posts: 5859
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#35543

Post by Dick Strawkins » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:19 am

AndrewV69 wrote:
KenD wrote: The law also criminalises women who work together and share an apartment, effectively classifying them as each other's pimps.

Quite a few sex workers in Sweden have spoken out about how the law has negatively affected them:

7D7nOh57-I8
If you accept the premise that the motivation is hatred of men then perhaps things begin to make more sense. It also explains the disparity between the stated reasons and the actual effects. The sex workers are just so much collateral damage.

If memory serves I once tried to point out that FadFems like Catharine MacKinnon were dangerous because of her work in attempting to change the laws and her overall influence towards that end.

(do not be surprised if welsh goes off into full baboon mode again now that I have mentioned MacKinnon)

Anyway, if you look at Sweden and other places where the RadFems like Mackinnon have been successful, you have some idea of how they actually work out. I doubt that this is unintentional or that they were unaware of the likely results either.
Very recently there was a move by politicians in Iceland to ban online pornography (offline porn is already illegal)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/ma ... ernet-porn

The left-wing government, headed by the worlds first openly lesbian prime minister, lost a general election before they could push through the ban (they had already banned strip clubs and introduced the swedish model of anti-prostitution laws to the country.)

Dave
.
.
Posts: 1975
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:03 am
Contact:

Re: Catching Up on Some Topics

#35544

Post by Dave » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:21 am

Walter Ego wrote:
Mykeru wrote: No one ever touches me.


Personally, I wouldn't touch you with a ten foot pole. You scare me shitless, so much so that I use your posts as a laxative.
Awwww.... Pooor Mykeru, cant get any wuv. Dont you all realize that behind that gruff scary exterior is just a soft cuddly little cow's heat with googly eyes that wants to be held?


Zenspace
.
.
Posts: 923
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:13 am
Contact:

Re: Catching Up on Some Topics

#35546

Post by Zenspace » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:29 am

Walter Ego wrote:
Mykeru wrote: No one ever touches me.


Personally, I wouldn't touch you with a ten foot pole. You scare me shitless, so much so that I use your posts as a laxative.
Now, that right there is funny. :lol:

Walter Ego
.
.
Posts: 536
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:51 pm
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#35547

Post by Walter Ego » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:29 am

KenD wrote: A lot of modern radfems go further than that, genuinely believing that m-f transexuals only become women so that they can infiltrate women's spaces, subvert feminism from the inside, and gain access to vulnerable women to rape them more...
Not to mention being able to use the ladies room. My mom took me with her into the inner sanctum of the ladies toilets until I was about five years old. It was nice as I remember. No pee on the floor. The ladies loo at the cinema we went to even had a lounge.

Dave
.
.
Posts: 1975
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:03 am
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#35548

Post by Dave » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:29 am

AndrewV69 wrote:
KenD wrote: The law also criminalises women who work together and share an apartment, effectively classifying them as each other's pimps.

Quite a few sex workers in Sweden have spoken out about how the law has negatively affected them:

7D7nOh57-I8
If you accept the premise that the motivation is hatred of men then perhaps things begin to make more sense. It also explains the disparity between the stated reasons and the actual effects. The sex workers are just so much collateral damage.

If memory serves I once tried to point out that FadFems like Catharine MacKinnon were dangerous because of her work in attempting to change the laws and her overall influence towards that end.

(do not be surprised if welsh goes off into full baboon mode again now that I have mentioned MacKinnon)

Anyway, if you look at Sweden and other places where the RadFems like Mackinnon have been successful, you have some idea of how they actually work out. I doubt that this is unintentional or that they were unaware of the likely results either.
If memory serves, you tried to point out that Dworkin is also dangerous. Welch pointed out that being dead strongly limits Dworkin's danger factor. Many people try to change the laws, you seemed to have an overinflated opinion of MAckinnon's overall influence, which today is non-existent and even in her heyday was far less than her fanbase (or her detractors) claimed.

ThreeFlangedJavis
.
.
Posts: 1332
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:13 am
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#35549

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:40 am

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Southern wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:I noticed an interesting tweet by one of the speakers at the upcoming EWTS2013 conference, Ivana Bacik.
is an Irish politician, and a member of one of the political parties currently in the coalition government there, and so should have some insight into upcoming legislation.
Her tweet also has some implications regarding the name of the conference, at least the 'Empowering Women' part.
What her tweet means, I think, is that there is a move to bring into place in Ireland, the Swedish model of sex-worker regulation.
This model is essentially the radfem position writ law. Prostitution is made illegal (I'm not sure but I guess it's already illegal in Ireland) with all the legal penalties falling on the purchasers rather than the prostitute her or himself.
Is it really empowering for the prostitute if her (or his) work is now made more restrictive?
I still don't know how it works on a logical level: "selling it is fine, but buying it? Crime!". The opposite (buying = ok, selling = crime) I can kinda understand - the classic example is drug legislation, where the buyer may be addicted, and the seller is seen as facilitator.

I know what they want to do with these legislations (criminalize the men, but not the women), but... why should prostitution be a crime in first place? If it is safe and consensual, and involving adults, why should society care about who pays who for sex?
I think it makes sense if you think all prostitution is forced.
If no prostitute does it out of choice, if they are all trafficked or otherwise under some kind of compulsion, then it would be unfair to penalize the prostitutes themselves when the government steps in to prevent prostitution.
That is, I think, the sex-work negative feminist viewpoint - which extends to include pornography in its list of forced activities.
If you think prostitution is forced then the obvious answer is to penalise the pimp. Even a cursory investigation would show that a lot of prostitution is not forced, so you have the wonderful situation of prostitutes advertising services with relative impunity that will get their clients prosecuted with the proposed legislation.

Walter Ego
.
.
Posts: 536
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:51 pm
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Re: Catching Up on Some Topics

#35550

Post by Walter Ego » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:44 am

Zenspace wrote:
Walter Ego wrote:
Mykeru wrote: No one ever touches me.


Personally, I wouldn't touch you with a ten foot pole. You scare me shitless, so much so that I use your posts as a laxative.
Now, that right there is funny. :lol:
Thanks. I'm starting a new career in standup. I be opening at the Laff Barn this weekend, no cover, no minimum. Stop by and I'll buy you a drink.

KenD
.
.
Posts: 279
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:04 am
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#35551

Post by KenD » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:44 am

acathode wrote:I don't think it's so much "anti-sex" as "anti male sexuality", female sexuality is generally something that is encouraged and viewed as something good, as long as it occurs in a situation that 100% controlled by the women.
I don't think it's true that female sexuality in general is viewed as a good thing, not among the anti-porn radfem community. Many radfems reject the whole idea that women in The Patriarchy are even able to consent to sex with men. Women who think they're in control and freely choosing heterosexual sex are suffering from false consciousness due to Stockholm syndrome and are really being raped. For some radfems the only kind of female sexuality that's acceptable is a particular form of feminist lesbianism, and even bisexuals and lesbians who take on butch/fem roles are condemned and shamed as traitors.
acathode wrote:I have to say I haven't seen any feminist bash on gay porn though? Calling it degrading to women sounds just fucked up, esp. if someone tried to do it by implying that "the bottom" is somehow being a woman. That's almost saying that the gay men who watch gay porn really isn't gay but actually straight... that sounds potentially "offensive" to the HBT community?
I've seen this argument quite often in feminist porn debates, especially when a radfem describes porn as "violence against women" and gay porn is brought up as a counterpoint.

"There is also homosexual pornography in which a man plays the "feminine" role of victim... There is lesbian pornography, with a woman assuming the "masculine" role of victimizing another woman... But whatever the gender of the participants, all pornography is an imitation of the male-female, conqueror-victim paradigm, and almost all of it actually portrays or implies enslaved woman and masterful male." - Gloria Steinem

debaser71
.
.
Posts: 841
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:03 am
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#35552

Post by debaser71 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:46 am

Walter Ego wrote:
KenD wrote: A lot of modern radfems go further than that, genuinely believing that m-f transexuals only become women so that they can infiltrate women's spaces, subvert feminism from the inside, and gain access to vulnerable women to rape them more...
Not to mention being able to use the ladies room. My mom took me with her into the inner sanctum of the ladies toilets until I was about five years old. It was nice as I remember. No pee on the floor. The ladies loo at the cinema we went to even had a lounge.
As someone who worked in maintenance I can tell you one thing most people don't know. Women's rooms are far far far more disgusting than men's rooms. Some ladies don't like to sit on the toilet seat so they sort of squat and pee all over the place. Then there's the issue of bloody tampons and pads smeared and stuck on walls. Then there's make up stains and what not all over the sink area. And before anyone thinks this is a public restroom at the bus depot...no, this is in office buildings; just like the one's most of you probably work at. I can't personally comment on women's rooms at the cinema.

Ladies, don't do that! (so fun to say)

Walter Ego
.
.
Posts: 536
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:51 pm
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#35553

Post by Walter Ego » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:03 pm

Walter Ego wrote:Another video. Cinema Vérité this time. Fourteen minutes of me irritating my "little" brother at the house we're being evicted from. Trigger Warning: longueurs.

In all seriousness, after having some fun posting today, I'm worried about my little bro. He has fluid on his chest and is running a fever. Thankfully, the motel we're staying at is right across the street from a hospital emergency room.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master
Posts: 3061
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:18 am
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#35554

Post by Jan Steen » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:07 pm

John Greg wrote:Stefunny Inzvanity still can hazzing teh big angries (http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... -civility/):
Providing a forum for more abuse to go unchallenged while simultaneously telling us how to behave.
Hmm. A bad thing apparently, when it is someone other than FfTB/Skepchick doing it.
Steve Snyder made his comment. It sat for two hours with me and one other person having down-voted it. I mentioned privately to someone that it felt like crap to watch it sit there unchallenged. That person made the comment as “Guest”. I then blogged about it. Then it got down-voted.
Yes, yes, rather like Carriers 6000+ downvotes versus -600 upvotes means it's all just haters hating with no valid points -- or in this instance, the lack of haters hating correctly meaning not enough people came to my defense by hating correctly. WAHHH!
Nor did JT fucking concur. JT’s statement was, “What? Uh, I dunno. Not worth my attention.”
So, of course, JT was just lying ... because; just because.
I don’t want a blog post. I don’t want more words. I want the comment section in which I am now being abused by several people from the slime pit because I objected to the abuse of one person being allowed to stand to be dealt with. I’m done with words. I’m done with disclaimers. I want action.
HAHAHAHAHA!

Silence the heathens! Silence them now! Blasphemers! Infidels! Burn; burn; burn!
Steffy Zvan is a pathological control freak. Look at the spineless clown JT grovelling at her feet, licking her boots, flagellating himself. It’s not enough for Madame Z. What a nauseating person she is. She is the most abhorrent of the baboon brigade.

KenD
.
.
Posts: 279
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:04 am
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#35555

Post by KenD » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:12 pm

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote:If you think prostitution is forced then the obvious answer is to penalise the pimp. Even a cursory investigation would show that a lot of prostitution is not forced, so you have the wonderful situation of prostitutes advertising services with relative impunity that will get their clients prosecuted with the proposed legislation.
Here's a press release detailing the proposed legislation in Ireland.

If this proposal is implemented, it wouldn't even be necessary to actually hire an escort to be prosecuted. One of the recommendations is "that the accessing of web sites – whether located in the State or abroad – that advertise prostitution in the State should be treated in the same way as accessing sites that advertise or distribute child pornography."

Just looking at an escort advert out of curiosity would be a breach of the law, and of course this criminalises the escorts placing the adverts too. In fact, escorts would be much easier to prosecute, as they'd need to provide contact details for potential clients, and the adverts themselves would constitute evidence of the crime.

This proposal actually goes further than the legislation in Sweden, recommending "power for An Garda Síochána to have disabled or vested in them any telephone number in use in the State that is suspected on reasonable grounds of being used for the purposes of prostitution"

So prostitution would technically still be legal for the sex worker, but any phone used to contact customers could be disabled by the police. But of course it's all about protecting "prostituted women"....

cunt
.
.
Posts: 2768
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:06 am
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#35556

Post by cunt » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:38 pm

Gumby wrote: Told you it was crappy!

Now if you would only admit the same thing about your meaningless throwaway faux-edgy one-liners here that make up the vast majority of your posts.
lol, what? You think i'd have a problem admitting that most, if not all of my posts, are meaningless throwaway garbage? I don't have a problem admitting that at all. I fully admit it, and they're only one liners because i'm too fucking lazy and useless to even bother writing faux edgy paragraphs. Also I don't preview them.

Oh, and don't get me wrong about the photoshops. Some of them are great, and if you look back you'll see that I wasn't specifically criticising yours as especially bad. The ones that are great though are usually the ones that are satirising some aspect either FTB culture or highlighting the hypocrisy of some of the bloggers. The shit that really just hinges on how ridiculous you can make people look in photoshop should be called out for what it is. Lame. Guess what, I usually don't do that because I know how long it takes for people to make them.

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote: Cunt seems to have been going through a pissy/ranting phase lately. Quite alien to his early days here. I don't mind. Still funny with good outlooks.
Pissy? Moi? I know I have and that's because i'm just not enjoying posting here so much lately. When things get serious, and non-drama, I often find myself agreeing more with the feminist side than a lot of the counter-arguments that people post on the slymepit. The people at FTB can be massive hypocrites and self-righteous dickheads without always being wrong about everything.

Actually, I was thinking of doing myself a favour and IP blocking the site for a couple of weeks. Just to see if I really give a shit about any of this anymore or (way more likely) am just addicted to it. Really though, that can wait until after Justin in Ireland.

Kareem
.
.
Posts: 437
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:37 pm
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#35557

Post by Kareem » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:51 pm

Jan Steen wrote:
John Greg wrote:Stefunny Inzvanity still can hazzing teh big angries (http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... -civility/):
Providing a forum for more abuse to go unchallenged while simultaneously telling us how to behave.
Hmm. A bad thing apparently, when it is someone other than FfTB/Skepchick doing it.
Steve Snyder made his comment. It sat for two hours with me and one other person having down-voted it. I mentioned privately to someone that it felt like crap to watch it sit there unchallenged. That person made the comment as “Guest”. I then blogged about it. Then it got down-voted.
Yes, yes, rather like Carriers 6000+ downvotes versus -600 upvotes means it's all just haters hating with no valid points -- or in this instance, the lack of haters hating correctly meaning not enough people came to my defense by hating correctly. WAHHH!
Nor did JT fucking concur. JT’s statement was, “What? Uh, I dunno. Not worth my attention.”
So, of course, JT was just lying ... because; just because.
I don’t want a blog post. I don’t want more words. I want the comment section in which I am now being abused by several people from the slime pit because I objected to the abuse of one person being allowed to stand to be dealt with. I’m done with words. I’m done with disclaimers. I want action.
HAHAHAHAHA!

Silence the heathens! Silence them now! Blasphemers! Infidels! Burn; burn; burn!
Steffy Zvan is a pathological control freak. Look at the spineless clown JT grovelling at her feet, licking her boots, flagellating himself. It’s not enough for Madame Z. What a nauseating person she is. She is the most abhorrent of the baboon brigade.
I almost feel sorry for him. He went out of his way to call us non-humans but is still getting shitted on (although some seems to be standing up for him). Past friends or not, there's a time when you have to tell people to fuck off, even if it's just until they get their head clear.

AndrewV69
.
.
Posts: 7957
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:52 pm
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#35558

Post by AndrewV69 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:51 pm

Dick Strawkins wrote: Very recently there was a move by politicians in Iceland to ban online pornography (offline porn is already illegal)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/ma ... ernet-porn

The left-wing government, headed by the worlds first openly lesbian prime minister, lost a general election before they could push through the ban (they had already banned strip clubs and introduced the swedish model of anti-prostitution laws to the country.)
From what I have observed there are consequences when society sets up constraints around biologically ordered expressions. When they are derived from ideological/religious inspired social constructs they appear to have some pretty negative effects.

All kinds of examples abound about the relative costs. From Catholic Priests to the Mutaween in Saudi Arabia.

*shrug*

In any event do not be surprised at the increase of sex related crimes such as rape if they are successful. There are apparently enough precedents for that to be predictable. See South Korea and Bulgaria for examples on both sides of the coin.

I am kind of hoping they go ahead with it. They would serve as a good control/contrast with S. Korea for example which also has a largely homogenous society (accounting for the variances in between their relative socioeconomic strata should not be too difficult) ... I am sorry for the needless suffering of the victims just to satisfy my curiosity though.

Anyway, to be clear I would expect some outcomes to be dampened because of the interconnected social relations of a generally homogenous society with many overlapping genetic relationships. Otherwise they should match the S. Korea experience.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master
Posts: 5439
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:40 am
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#35559

Post by Gumby » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:16 pm

cunt wrote:
Gumby wrote: Told you it was crappy!

Now if you would only admit the same thing about your meaningless throwaway faux-edgy one-liners here that make up the vast majority of your posts.
lol, what? You think i'd have a problem admitting that most, if not all of my posts, are meaningless throwaway garbage? I don't have a problem admitting that at all. I fully admit it, and they're only one liners because i'm too fucking lazy and useless to even bother writing faux edgy paragraphs. Also I don't preview them.

Oh, and don't get me wrong about the photoshops. Some of them are great, and if you look back you'll see that I wasn't specifically criticising yours as especially bad. The ones that are great though are usually the ones that are satirising some aspect either FTB culture or highlighting the hypocrisy of some of the bloggers. The shit that really just hinges on how ridiculous you can make people look in photoshop should be called out for what it is. Lame. Guess what, I usually don't do that because I know how long it takes for people to make them.

You know what? I agree with everything you said here.

Wonderist
.
.
Posts: 868
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:19 pm
Location: The Pale Blue Dot
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#35560

Post by Wonderist » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:16 pm

Karmakin wrote:
Aneris wrote:Some additional commentary, I haven't yet read yet.
Team Twitter Feminism is not happy

And summing up again, for guests and newcomers.

The name Team Feminism and Anti-Feminists are terms used conjured out of thin air by Marcotte and allies. For the onlookers: no, there is no Team Feminism and there is also no Team Anti-Feminsim (at least not here). That's Marcottes critical thinking impaired religious mindset showing through.

In reality, there are conflicts between gender feminism and equity feminism. PZ Myers and Co. endorses radical/gender feminism, and sites like I Blame the Patriarchy (just check his blog entry). When you google the site directly, it also shows a direct link to the S.C.U.M Manifesto (Society for Cutting Up Men). In the most charitable interpretation, they find that acceptable satire (but our photoshops or "we love vacula" into their image is ‒ as we all know ‒ reprehensible and outrageous). The reading list of I Blame the Patriarchy has Andrea Dworkin on top, also a radical feminist. There is some controversy these views, and they aren't between Anti-feminsts and Team Feminism as noted in this piece of psychology today.
Just to add on to that, there are a couple of other differences between the two sides.

One side believes that equality will occur when we as a society are able to treat individuals as individuals, the other side believes that the inherent bias can never be overcome and we need to enact laws and social customs to counteract said bias. (For what it's worth, I sit somewhere in the middle of this particular topic)

One side believes that gender differences are a combination of biological and cultural/social forces, the other side believes that they're strictly cultural/social.

One side believes that these forces should not be prescriptive on individuals, the other side increasingly believes that they are.

That last point is the irony of the situation, and the crux of much of the conflict. There are many of us who are involved in these "anti-feminism" groups and communities, not because we're opposed to the idea of equality, but because we believe that gender feminists are either A. opposed to the idea of equality, or B. really really fucking BAD at equality. My experience is that it hasn't always gone this way, however over the last few years the notion of this all-powerful "toxic male culture" has spread throughout much of 3rd wave feminism, and that's where the problem stems from.

And yes, the inherent sexism of the gender feminists gets loud and angry responses. How couldn't it? It pisses people off when you tell them that they think and feel things that they don't think and feel.
This ^^^ is a bit of an older comment, but I really want to comment on it or I'll forget.

Karmakin, I could quibble with a couple of your points near the beginning, but instead I think it would be better to say that overall I think you made some excellent distinctions, especially in the way you put them as tips for an outsider to come to some understanding about the conflict as an ongoing phenomenon. Your last brief paragraph hits it out of the park in my eyes.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master
Posts: 5439
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:40 am
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#35561

Post by Gumby » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:17 pm

Um, block quote fail. oh well.

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!
Posts: 1556
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:57 pm
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#35562

Post by ERV » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:23 pm

Dick Strawkins wrote:http://i.imgur.com/F6EPDPK.jpg
Glad I wasnt drinking anything because I did an immediate 'PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!LOLOLOLOLOLOL!'

Wonderist
.
.
Posts: 868
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:19 pm
Location: The Pale Blue Dot
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#35563

Post by Wonderist » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:24 pm

Tribble wrote:
cunt wrote:Serious question. Why do MRAs give a fuck if men throw better than women or not? What relevance is it?
Because radfem postulates that differences are a matter of patriarchal society/training and discrimination against girls and women. They are naturally and vocally opposed to any scientific line of inquiry or fact that casts doubts on their claims.

Take math, which is far more important than throwing. Boys (population) are, at a young age, better at math. Neuroscience has shown this through MRI analysis (which now so common and accepted that it's even in WebMD...). The part of the brain that gets to more abstract math functions starts to mature four years earlier in boys (about 8) than girls (about 12). Girls (population) catch up by college. But in late grade school and HS they're behind.

This has consequences beyond poor grades. For example, here in America, we start hitting girls (population) with algebra and pre-algebra about two-years too early. Which, sadly, causes the girls (population) problems and turns many off from math for the rest of their lives. Which, in turn, trickles down to college majors and career opportunities.
Another older but good comment I don't want to forget.

I hadn't heard that hypothesis before, Tribble. It at least has some degree of plausibility to it. Do you have any links or references to the studies (or even a science magazine article or something) which support it? I'd be quite interested.

justinvacula
.
.
Posts: 1748
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:48 pm
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#35564

Post by justinvacula » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:26 pm

I leave Philadelphia at 9:00PM local time and will arrive in Dublin around 9AM Dublin time. My flight leaving to Philadelphia was cancelled, so I am now in a rental car with two strangers en route to Philadelphia in order to catch the flight to Dublin that hopefully will not be delayed!

Comment here if you would like:
http://www.skepticink.com/justinvacula/ ... e-smiling/

bovarchist
.
.
Posts: 1925
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:07 am
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#35565

Post by bovarchist » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:36 pm

I don't really like Stephen Colbert anymore.

welch
.
.
Posts: 9208
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:05 am
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#35566

Post by welch » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:41 pm

Gumby wrote:
rayshul wrote: It seriously takes about five minutes before someone unearths some shit they're doing which completely contradicts wtf they've been saying.
Which to me isn't a big deal in most cases. People are never 100% consistent. The big deal to me is the fact they won't own up to what they would call stupid gaffes or hypocrisy in other people. They don't get to angrily lecture me about my shortcomings when they display the exact same shortcomings... but pretend their shortcomings don't exist.

Exactly. It's not that they make mistakes or what have you. It's that when they have those mistakes/slip-ups pointed out to them, they make damned sure to go to the ends of the earth to explain why their mistakes are okay, it's only YOURS that are eeeeeeevil.

welch
.
.
Posts: 9208
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:05 am
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#35567

Post by welch » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:44 pm

deLurch wrote:
cunt wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:http://i.imgur.com/BQc31zG.jpg
:think:
What? I assume you posted that because you think she's wrong.
1. There would still mental illness.
2. There is also the expanding social & iffy legal definition of rape (at least in the US). On the latter, if you and your wife opt to go to the bar and get hammered, and then have sex, legally you have raped her. On the former, as an example there is this prank in Japan, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kancho that has nothing to do with the hatred of anyone... well I'm just going to let you read it.

OMG, Kancho! I haven't read that since Azrael stopped posting "I am a japanese school teacher" http://gaijinchronicles.com/category/ar ... l-teacher/

welch
.
.
Posts: 9208
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:05 am
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#35568

Post by welch » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:46 pm

Tribble wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:
IF what Loftus says is true - that many (most) of the chapters are just tweaked old blog posts, this is shocking, to say the least. Remember, we are dealing with a book that took six years to get published. It is, however, rather reminiscent of his (and his fellow conference circuit gravy-train riders) attitude towards conference attendees - 'to hell with writing a new talk, I'll just use my old one!')

That's one of the reasons I support all conferences having a speaker rotation period of at least three years. Further, no speaker would be allowed to use the same talk they'd given, at the conference, in the past, not even updated, unless the talk was specifically requested. I might even stretch that rule to any conference.
I've actually worked on rules like that. It creates some squawking from some speakers, but most get it, and you get more interesting sessions.

But if all the speaking options are invite-only, fuck, who cares, you're only going to get the same shit anyway.

Dick Strawkins
.
.
Posts: 5859
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#35569

Post by Dick Strawkins » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:48 pm

justinvacula wrote:I leave Philadelphia at 9:00PM local time and will arrive in Dublin around 9AM Dublin time. My flight leaving to Philadelphia was cancelled, so I am now in a rental car with two strangers en route to Philadelphia in order to catch the flight to Dublin that hopefully will not be delayed!

Comment here if you would like:
http://www.skepticink.com/justinvacula/ ... e-smiling/
You got into a rental car with two strangers?

Guys, don't do that!

http://i.imgur.com/cxqPJAz.jpg

Metalogic42
.
.
Posts: 1252
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:56 am
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#35570

Post by Metalogic42 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:49 pm

Someone mentioned earlier that CFI is taking its sweet time putting up WiS 2 videos. Well, their YouTube channel now has two up, with (I'm assuming) more on the way.

Wonderist
.
.
Posts: 868
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:19 pm
Location: The Pale Blue Dot
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#35571

Post by Wonderist » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:51 pm

Zenspace wrote:
Za-zen wrote:Have they lost their mojo? They went after Grothe with a vengeance, but realized JREF as an org didn't give a fuck for them, or their drama. They attempted to force their will onto the SCA (a lot of people forget about that episode, where they attempted to fuck a new appointee out of HER position, because she was associated with the Republican party). The SCA effectively gave them the bird, with some impressive foiling, Edwina even took time, to engage the fuckwits. CFI on the other hand, they thought had left their back door open, they were sewn through it, and were regularly sucking at it's conference teet, so much so that they assumed they had leverage necessary to execute their will.

In any other realm they would recognize they are not the power brokers, they imagined themselves to be. Their load is well and truly blown, with every ounce of wailing, gnashing of teeth, rage tears, and threats to flounce the party they could muster, the CFI, the single org they thought they had sewn up, told them to take their games elsewhere, in very diplomatic terms of course. The "CFI have betrayed us!" blags are predictable, but empty. Greta, beccy and co will be lobbying for speaking gigs within the year, and if they aren't given, their will be more wailing about how CFI are marginalizing them.

SO who have they left, FFRF?, not a chance in hell, they are far too focused to engage with drama whores. SSA? Yes, why? because it's full of young minds looking for a cause that can be indoctrinated by the politics. what was the Jesuit saying about give me the boy, and I'll show you the man. Then there is AA, who i predict are going to be burned, badly. Silverman is not half as smart as he thinks he is, he's a political grease ball, but not very adept at it. Beware of Greeks bearing twitter followers AA.
Good summary analysis. Part of their problem is the echo chamber they have constructed over the years built an environment where they would be encouraged to start believing their own bullshit. This, of course, leads them to have a very over-inflated opinion of one's place in the grand scheme of things. What they are beginning to realize is just how easily shut down they are, which is something I am pleasantly surprised to see myself. CFI may well have been their last big chance to make a real inroad into the major organizations. It will be interesting to see what they do at this point as they begin to realize just how marginalized they are becoming. I would like to think that the Pyt played some part in this result coming about by keeping a public skeptical fire under their butts, so a big thanks to all you who have put in the time and miles over the long haul here.
It definitely did. It was never perfect (though nothing is, so that's no real criticism), but it did what no one else was doing for a *long* time. The metaphor of keeping a 'fire under our butts' is decent, but perhaps more significant would be a metaphor of 'keeping the fire alive' in the first place, not letting our hope die and complacency sink in. That's how I see it, anyway.

welch
.
.
Posts: 9208
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:05 am
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#35572

Post by welch » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:53 pm

Walter Ego wrote:
debaser71 wrote: And not to be 100% heterosexual...I've been hit on many times by gay guys but only once did a gay man touch me. He put his hand on my shoulder. It wasn't a big deal but I did grab his wrist and move his hand off me. I guess it could be hard for a gay guy trying to hit on someone when you don't know if they are gay too.
At least you didn't beat the gay guy to a pulp. I'm gay and don't like being touched or fondled without my consent. When I was younger and prettier (I was a hottie if I do say so myself), I had to beat off the men and women with a stick. Now that I'm middle-age and worn out, I don't have that problem. I have to pay people to molest me nowadays which is really sad if you think about it.
I see the problem. Next time you're beating someone off, use your hand.

welch
.
.
Posts: 9208
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:05 am
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#35573

Post by welch » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:58 pm

Voryn wrote:JT has another post up to win back the AngryZvan

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/wwjtd/2013 ... are-jerks/

This post isn't as hefty as the previous one but is structured similarly, 90% *Erhmagad! Slimeybad!* and the rest, well, the other 10% is basically that too. I feel a bit bad for JT, he's so naive to think that these people won't throw him under the bus in a heartbeat to get what they want.

He has a facebook status update saying:
JT wrote:I just don't get it. I'm using English words with English speakers, and yet somehow some people are still hearing the exact opposite of what I'm saying. Is it opposite week?
Not at all JT, you're just a pawn in their game. Your words don't matter, if they don't control you, you're the enemy and their dramapawn.
I for one am enjoying it. JT is constantly sucking up to all sides at once, and if it bites him in the ass occasionally good. I'm almost surprised he hasn't grown an extra mouth, just so he can suck up more.

another lurker
.
.
Posts: 4675
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:39 pm
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#35574

Post by another lurker » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:59 pm

cunt wrote:
Gumby wrote: Told you it was crappy!

Now if you would only admit the same thing about your meaningless throwaway faux-edgy one-liners here that make up the vast majority of your posts.
lol, what? You think i'd have a problem admitting that most, if not all of my posts, are meaningless throwaway garbage? I don't have a problem admitting that at all. I fully admit it, and they're only one liners because i'm too fucking lazy and useless to even bother writing faux edgy paragraphs. Also I don't preview them.

Oh, and don't get me wrong about the photoshops. Some of them are great, and if you look back you'll see that I wasn't specifically criticising yours as especially bad. The ones that are great though are usually the ones that are satirising some aspect either FTB culture or highlighting the hypocrisy of some of the bloggers. The shit that really just hinges on how ridiculous you can make people look in photoshop should be called out for what it is. Lame. Guess what, I usually don't do that because I know how long it takes for people to make them.

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote: Cunt seems to have been going through a pissy/ranting phase lately. Quite alien to his early days here. I don't mind. Still funny with good outlooks.
Pissy? Moi? I know I have and that's because i'm just not enjoying posting here so much lately. When things get serious, and non-drama, I often find myself agreeing more with the feminist side than a lot of the counter-arguments that people post on the slymepit. The people at FTB can be massive hypocrites and self-righteous dickheads without always being wrong about everything.

Actually, I was thinking of doing myself a favour and IP blocking the site for a couple of weeks. Just to see if I really give a shit about any of this anymore or (way more likely) am just addicted to it. Really though, that can wait until after Justin in Ireland.




One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit. Everyone knows this. Each of us contributes his share. But we tend to take the situation for granted. Most people are rather confident of their ability to recognize bullshit and to avoid being taken in by it. So the phenomenon has not aroused much deliberate concern. We have no clear understanding of what bullshit is, why there is so much of it, or what functions it serves. And we lack a conscientiously developed appreciation of what it means to us. In other words, as Harry Frankfurt writes, "we have no theory."

welch
.
.
Posts: 9208
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:05 am
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#35575

Post by welch » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:01 pm

Dave wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:
KenD wrote: The law also criminalises women who work together and share an apartment, effectively classifying them as each other's pimps.

Quite a few sex workers in Sweden have spoken out about how the law has negatively affected them:

7D7nOh57-I8
If you accept the premise that the motivation is hatred of men then perhaps things begin to make more sense. It also explains the disparity between the stated reasons and the actual effects. The sex workers are just so much collateral damage.

If memory serves I once tried to point out that FadFems like Catharine MacKinnon were dangerous because of her work in attempting to change the laws and her overall influence towards that end.

(do not be surprised if welsh goes off into full baboon mode again now that I have mentioned MacKinnon)

Anyway, if you look at Sweden and other places where the RadFems like Mackinnon have been successful, you have some idea of how they actually work out. I doubt that this is unintentional or that they were unaware of the likely results either.
If memory serves, you tried to point out that Dworkin is also dangerous. Welch pointed out that being dead strongly limits Dworkin's danger factor. Many people try to change the laws, you seemed to have an overinflated opinion of MAckinnon's overall influence, which today is non-existent and even in her heyday was far less than her fanbase (or her detractors) claimed.
Andrew is such a dear. If you disagree with him too much, he calls you a baboon and runs up to his room, slams the door and plays linkin' park so loud you can't hear him crying.

He's still pissed that I dared to check his sources. Whatever. Mckinnon was good at getting press, but in terms of getting anything actually done, she was not so good. Andrew however, loves the fuck out of her, because she's some of the best ammo he has. When she finally dies, he's going to be in mourning longer than he was when Dworkin kicked off. (another one with a lot of thunder, very little lightning.)

AndrewV69
.
.
Posts: 7957
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:52 pm
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#35576

Post by AndrewV69 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:05 pm

Dave wrote:If memory serves, you tried to point out that Dworkin is also dangerous. Welch pointed out that being dead strongly limits Dworkin's danger factor. Many people try to change the laws, you seemed to have an overinflated opinion of MAckinnon's overall influence, which today is non-existent and even in her heyday was far less than her fanbase (or her detractors) claimed.
You might have a point about Dworkin in particular as some young people go "who" when you mention her. However, as I recall MacKinnon allowed that she was influenced by her. And I would not discount Dworkin on the basis that she is dead. There are plenty of dead people who despite being deceased are still influential.

I will leave it up to you to supply your own examples of people who have influenced you personally, directly or otherwise who have long since shuffled off this mortal coil.

As for the rest of it, I am reasonably certain that I will not have to work too hard to come up with an example of someone who proclaims as such about MacKinnon, and is also in a position to influence other people for example a Professor with students, never mind people like Judith Butler.

However, in the end I fail to see how I could make a case that would disprove your supposition without actual numbers (which I do not have).

We will have to agree to disagree. Or at least I will.

cunt
.
.
Posts: 2768
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:06 am
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#35577

Post by cunt » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:08 pm

Kancho wouldn't qualify as rape in any western nations. That'd be sexual assault. Or maybe even just assault.

AndrewV69
.
.
Posts: 7957
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:52 pm
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#35578

Post by AndrewV69 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:10 pm

cunt wrote:Actually, I was thinking of doing myself a favour and IP blocking the site for a couple of weeks. Just to see if I really give a shit about any of this anymore or (way more likely) am just addicted to it. Really though, that can wait until after Justin in Ireland.
Ahahahaha! cunt comes out and admits he is addicted to the slymepit. So he is going to quit, right after he finishes that last case of gin.

cunt
.
.
Posts: 2768
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:06 am
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#35579

Post by cunt » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:12 pm

Yeah, that's exactly what I said Andrew... Link JudgyBitch about it.

Tribble
.
.
Posts: 5102
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#35580

Post by Tribble » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:14 pm

Dick Strawkins wrote:http://i.imgur.com/F6EPDPK.jpg

That's pretty good. I was hoping someone would do "The Happy Plagiarist" and sub-title it "How to Write a Book by Copy/Paste."

Locked