Shall Mr Vacula Make a Misstep in the Capital of Eire?

Old subthreads
Hunt

Re: Shall Mr Vacula Make a Misstep in the Capital of Eire?

Post by Hunt »

Just listened to Reap/Fogg interview. It was good. Fogg does seem good intentioned, but I'm not sure how well he understands the nature band he's thrown in with. Also, Ally, maybe cut back a few packs per day?... We'd like to keep you around for awhile.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

AndrewV69 wrote:Here is someone who might agree with Setar, though both i suspect may view the other with mutual disgust, if not dismay:

Not What Tom Jefferson Had in Mind
http://www.fredoneverything.net/YouSSR.shtml

The Founding Fathers (original intent) and the BIble (God's Will). Two things every rambling, 'get off my lawn' nut-case believes he is the one to understand it and this is why the country is 'going to hell.'

debaser71

Post by debaser71 »

welch and others, I've found that article about how the government census considered fathers as babysitters.

http://parenting.blogs.nytimes.com/2012 ... hild-care/

(note this is from the New York Times parenting section called Motherlode...MOTHERlode...any wonder why dads are often considered second class parents? Btw, MSNBC's parenting section is called Today Moms...Parenting Magazine is full of articles about makeup and shoes...I'll stop here but this shit is the norm...mommy mommy mommy)

"It’s not baby-sitting when Daddy does it. Who wouldn't agree with that? The U.S. Census Bureau, apparently. When both parents are present in the household, the Census Bureau assumes for the purposes of its “Who’s Minding the Kids?” report, that the mother is the “designated parent.” And when the designated parent is working or at school, the bureau would like to know who’s providing child care.

If the answer is Daddy, as it was 26 percent of the time when these numbers were last released, in 2005, and 32 percent of the time in 2010, the Census Bureau calls that “care.” But if Mom is caring for a child while Dad’s at work, that’s not a “child care arrangement,” but something else. Parenting, presumably."

And yes the biggest opponents to the notion that men can be good and nurturing parents are women.

Ladies, don't do that! (hehe)

jimmy

Post by jimmy »

codelette wrote:So, yeah...I was perusing one of the Puertorican paper websites this morning and looky looky...the O.T. with the self-harm fetish is there!
Does this person not know that Lego is a tool of the patriarchy. Surely she must have missed this important information from one of the great feminist scholars of our time.

[youtube]CrmRxGLn0Bk[/youtube]

Surely she did not remove her own leg and unwittingly replace it with a rape enabling machine?.

Parody Accountant

Post by Parody Accountant »

Aneris wrote:http://www.billkassel.com/wp-content/up ... s-Logo.jpg

Menstruation. Think about it.
I am probably not the first to notice it, I always had the association.
Potentially NSFL. I'll let someone else decide if it's too gross for the pit. Lsuoma?

http://i.imgur.com/EOLEKYY.png

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Parody Accountant wrote: Potentially NSFL. I'll let someone else decide if it's too gross for the pit. Lsuoma?
I'm not even going to look.

jjbinx007

Post by jjbinx007 »

The same Mortal Kombat game where everyone actually IS treated equally. Men fight men, women and robots. Women fight men, women and robots. Robots fight men, women and robots.

Isn't misogyny supposed to mean the hatred of women? Since when did ogling attractive women become synonymous with hating them?

debaser71

Post by debaser71 »

Because there are no buff mostly naked men in video games...EVER!!!

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Guest wrote:
Mykeru wrote:Meanwhile:
Will you be having the Khitbash for two or the Moons over My Hammy?
I'll stick with the Khlau Kalash, thanks.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Parody Accountant wrote:
Aneris wrote:http://www.billkassel.com/wp-content/up ... s-Logo.jpg

Menstruation. Think about it.
I am probably not the first to notice it, I always had the association.
Potentially NSFL. I'll let someone else decide if it's too gross for the pit. Lsuoma?

I have no problem with it. But I'm not grossed out by very much...

LurkerPerson

Post by LurkerPerson »

Try this. I almost threw up seeing it. Anyone who's ever disected a corpse probably won't have any problems with it.

"South American Football - Referee beheaded by fans for killing player
There were absolutely horrific scenes at an amateur football match in Brazil when spectators lynched a referee and put his head on a stake after he had killed a player. "

WARNING, extremely graphic images of a dismembered and decapitated corpse.

This happened in Maranhao, the state right next to Tocantins, where I have family. Along with all the riots and now this it's looking like having the World Cup take place in Brazil is the not the boon everyone thought it was gonna be.

Kareem

Post by Kareem »

LurkerPerson wrote:Try this. I almost threw up seeing it. Anyone who's ever disected a corpse probably won't have any problems with it.

There were absolutely horrific scenes at an amateur football match in Brazil when spectators lynched a referee and put his head on a stake after he had killed a player. "

This happened in Maranhao, the state right next to Tocantins, where I have family. Along with all the riots and now this it's looking like having the World Cup take place in Brazil is the not the boon everyone thought it was gonna be.
That explains this:
[youtube]_yiQXPOO1Yo[/youtube]

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

jjbinx007 wrote: The same Mortal Kombat game where everyone actually IS treated equally. Men fight men, women and robots. Women fight men, women and robots. Robots fight men, women and robots.

Isn't misogyny supposed to mean the hatred of women? Since when did ogling attractive women become synonymous with hating them?
Yup.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/misogyny?s=t

It's just a word that many of them overuse to ascribe to any behavior they don't like in a given context. Honestly it waters down the word so much that it no longer has any meaning besides "I don't like that." But it also means that they can find men hating women almost everywhere.

Humorously enough that is from Tobias, which is a common male Swedish name. A quick check of his twitter profile confirms that. I am not sure that feminism has been all good for Sweden if this is part of the end result. Ogle vs. appreciate-the-apperance-of... I don't know how you can really ascribe bad intention towards a video game character. And I would hate to be his partner if appreciating the appearance of his partner, which could easily be misconstrued as ogling, was a bad thing.

Honestly, you can find this shit all over the net along with all sorts of other stupidity on other subjects. Why bother with it?

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

EllenBeth Wachs – church/state separation activist and immediate past president of the Humanists of Florida Association – joins Karla Porter and Justin Vacula Saturday, July 6 at 8PM Eastern for discussion about current events, feminism, controversy in the atheist/skeptic community, and much more. As always, callers, no matter their viewpoints, are welcome to join the discussion. Call the number on your screen, 718-766-4598, or click the Skype-to-call button on the show’s page when the show goes live to join the caller queue.

http://justinvacula.com/2013/07/06/brav ... eth-wachs/

Southern

Post by Southern »

Za-zen wrote:When the US do it it isn't espionage. Only the bad guys do espionage, the US monitors bad people to protect good people, freedom, liberty, and equality, and to see what the bad people are saying about them
Amen. Suggesting something different is nazi communist terrorist talk.

Garlic

Post by Garlic »

Tribble wrote:
Paul Z. Myers -- ZFIN -- the complete list of his Zebrafish papers. http://tinyurl.com/nyl8qwy He's second author of a calcium imaging paper on xenopus in 1996. The first author continued on, Myers didn't. I'm guessing this was more of a consulting/training role to do with calcium imaging, which is very difficult when you're first learning it.
Well, it's not like that middle-author paper is the top of his career. In his younger years he got at least three first-author papers in J Neuroscience (back when it was the top neuroscience journal) with 30, 90 and 300 citations respectively. I also see a last-author paper with 400 citations, plus a bunch of middle-author papers (including one in Nature).

Unless you're a BSD prof at an elite institution, that's not exactly ho-hum.

Southern

Post by Southern »

JackRayner wrote:
Mykeru wrote:Meanwhile:
And as told here:

Jaythenerdkid = Boobs

Sometimes I don't want to live on planet Twitter anymore
This one's fun;
Why are supposed Feminists always trying to virgin shame men? Isn't communicating to men that their worth is based on whether they can get pussy or not antithetical to the whole reducing rape/sexual assault thing? :think:
Why the hell she thinks that her tits are something special? Look, sweetie, if I want to ogle over a pair of tits, the internet has plenty of good boobs that are offered without fuzz.

Southern

Post by Southern »

justinvacula wrote:EllenBeth Wachs – church/state separation activist and immediate past president of the Humanists of Florida Association – joins Karla Porter and Justin Vacula Saturday, July 6 at 8PM Eastern for discussion about current events, feminism, controversy in the atheist/skeptic community, and much more. As always, callers, no matter their viewpoints, are welcome to join the discussion. Call the number on your screen, 718-766-4598, or click the Skype-to-call button on the show’s page when the show goes live to join the caller queue.

http://justinvacula.com/2013/07/06/brav ... eth-wachs/
I hope she had put her daughter in a safe place, so she's not raped by The Vacula while Karla distracts her during the show.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

jimmy wrote:
codelette wrote:So, yeah...I was perusing one of the Puertorican paper websites this morning and looky looky...the O.T. with the self-harm fetish is there!
Does this person not know that Lego is a tool of the patriarchy. Surely she must have missed this important information from one of the great feminist scholars of our time.

Surely she did not remove her own leg and unwittingly replace it with a rape enabling machine?.

That woman is a radfem grifter. She's doing this series on video games... She has to go out of her way to find the tropes she rants about... And, like most radfems, always spins the narrative that women are being put down even if you looked at the entire game and the all characters and their relative power and importance, she's usually off 180 degrees.

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

JackRayner wrote:
Cunning Punt wrote: That ain't ever coming out, I don't care how hard you pull on it. Ouch.
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x17/ ... 0faba5.jpg
That's some kind of rock climbing gadget, isn't it?

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

jimmy wrote:

She makes money out of a pre determined conclusion. Therefore her analyses is useless. The fact she completely fails to grasp the culture of games just adds icing to the cake.

He 'work' is for those already sold on the concept of a women hating society so I'm sure her intended audience will get a great feeling of smug self satisfaction. I'll just laugh as arguing with these people is like arguing with Creationists.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Apparently misogynist trolls are doing the doxxing:

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Waaaahhhhh!!!11!!!

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

Tribble wrote:
jimmy wrote:

That woman is a radfem grifter. She's doing this series on video games... She has to go out of her way to find the tropes she rants about... And, like most radfems, always spins the narrative that women are being put down even if you looked at the entire game and the all characters and their relative power and importance, she's usually off 180 degrees.
Raise hand if you have spent more than five minutes trying to make Kratos rape Pandora.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

The Freedom From Religion Foundation has sent a letter to Wilkes-Barre City Council urging for a stop to government-led prayer at public meetings.

http://justinvacula.com/2013/07/06/ffrf ... of-prayer/

Yay, more activism :)

JackRayner
Location: In the basement of the University of Minnesota Morris

Post by JackRayner »

debaser71 wrote:Because there are no buff mostly naked men in video games...EVER!!!
And a survey of the male characters in the latest Mortal Kombat shows.......

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x17/ ... 64ffb5.png

The number of men and boys crying over the depiction of males in MK9: Zero.

P.S: No, the second-to-last and last characters are not the same.
P.P.S: Yes, I'm aware Kratos isn't originally from the MK universe.
P.P.P.S: There used to be another male that showed more skin, the guy with the hat that has a bladed brim. They covered him up for this game though. No man-cleavage or nipple action.

JackRayner
Location: In the basement of the University of Minnesota Morris

Post by JackRayner »

Cunning Punt wrote:
JackRayner wrote:
Cunning Punt wrote: That ain't ever coming out, I don't care how hard you pull on it. Ouch.
That's some kind of rock climbing gadget, isn't it?
Yes.

If birth canals and wombs were rocky. [I'll have to ask my gynecologist buddy. I've never peered inside with a flashlight or nuthin'. The walls could be a mesh of lubricated smooth rocks for all I know....]

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

BarnOwl wrote:Waaaahhhhh!!!11!!!
First off, there will always be trolls on the internet.
Second off, if you happen to count disagreement, or people noticing what you have stated and commenting it as bad treatment, there is no hope for you.

Through out the past couple of decades, the most sage advice on how to deal with trolls is not to feed them. Why on earth the radfems somehow think that somehow making a bigger deal out of and placing out a buffet for the trolls is a good idea is beyond me. The only time this works out well is if you are asking for money.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

We need to teach trolls not to troll, otherwise it's victim blaming.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Garlic wrote:
Tribble wrote:
Paul Z. Myers -- ZFIN -- the complete list of his Zebrafish papers. http://tinyurl.com/nyl8qwy He's second author of a calcium imaging paper on xenopus in 1996. The first author continued on, Myers didn't. I'm guessing this was more of a consulting/training role to do with calcium imaging, which is very difficult when you're first learning it.
Well, it's not like that middle-author paper is the top of his career. In his younger years he got at least three first-author papers in J Neuroscience (back when it was the top neuroscience journal) with 30, 90 and 300 citations respectively. I also see a last-author paper with 400 citations, plus a bunch of middle-author papers (including one in Nature).

Unless you're a BSD prof at an elite institution, that's not exactly ho-hum.
A number of things:

First, if you're not first or second, it doesn't count. Not in biology. Maybe in physics or some such where it's big teams. But ZFIN biology is pretty much just one or two experimenters supervised by the PI. Paul's papers clearly confirm that's how he was working.

Second, except for the one, those are pretty low citation numbers. My wife is a very good, but (honestly) not an elite-top-tier scientist in the field. According to PUBMED, the lowest citation count my wife has received is 94 on a 'throw-away' paper for an annual review of cell and developmental biology she was invited to write. Her real papers (where she's done actual science) are in the high 175-to-225 range. She has three that, as first/second author are in the 300+ range -- highest is 378, followed by 357 & 352.

I checked up a bunch of active scientists I know at PUBMED. Most of their papers are in the 150-250 range. I also looked up a bunch of also-ran guys and gals that washed out of science. They ran in they ran in 90's to low 100'S.

Color me quite unimpressed with Paul's citation-count. It screams 'one-hit-wonder.'

But you can be impressed if you want. Me... I see yet another guy who couldn't make it past his first post-doc so he had to go the academic route.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

bovarchist wrote: Raise hand if you have spent more than five minutes trying to make Kratos rape Pandora.

Who are they? (If it's a fighting game, I haven't done those since the quarter-arcade games of the 1980s.)

LurkerPerson

Post by LurkerPerson »

I haven't played the game in a long time, but isn't Pandora the girl who takes the role of surrogate daughter throughout the course of the game, reminding Kratos of his lost family? If so, that's pretty fucked up bro.

Parody Accountant

http://i.imgur.com/cFqa4Se.png

Kareem

Post by Kareem »

Since Ally was concerned with "one way" obsession on Reap's radio show, maybe he can explain these names on the Skeptic Women statement:

Luna C.
Plenty O'Toole
Amanda Hugandkiss
Holden McGroin
Seymour Butts
Tara Dikoff

While I usually just roll my eyes, I kind of got mad at the Seymour Butts thing just for the lack of originality.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

While I was still unable to get the SkepticInk site to load up, I did get the feed from Loftus original site - debunking Christianity. He has a post up about Hallquist (who claims that Craig is dishonest, a statement I agree with 100%), and Loftus is taking him to task for arguing "like a believer". Not sure of the accuracy of that, but I found this comment to be just...WTF?

From: http://debunkingchristianity.blogspot.c ... -stop.html

specifically: http://debunkingchristianity.blogspot.c ... .html#more (maybe, not sure if it gets to the comment - it doesn't do much when I try it)
Rosa, in Craig's case he admits that he's trying to come up with reasons to believe. But if those reasons are not good ones then the real reason he believes is because of his inner witness of the Spirit. Shoot his evidence down all you want. Show that he reasons illogically all you want. He has insulated his faith from refutation with a supposed witness of the Spirit that trumps all evidence and all reasons to the contrary. In fact, this witness trumps all arguments against his inner witness too. He is deluded. That's all there is to it. It's the mind of the believer. We don't like it, but that's how it works.

Hallquist is trying to judge Craig from the standards of logic and evidence because he is a reasonable person, like me, like Lowder, like any skeptic or informed atheist. But we cannot judge Craig's honesty by those standards simply because faith is an irrational leap over the evidence. Faith a cognitive bias that causes believers to overestimate any confirming evidence and underestimate any disconfirming evidence.
So, if we run into someone who is blinded by faith, and therefore ignores the hundreds of times he has been corrected on even simple mistakes, as Craig has been, we can't hold them to the same standards as reasonable people? WTF? They aren't dishonest, they are deluded? I'm not sure if he's arguing for that, or some postmodern bs.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Confirmation bias time:

Is Wine Bullshit?
http://priceonomics.com/is-wine-bullshit/
Just as smell and memory are closely linked, so too are smell and taste. And just as the information provided by senses other than our taste buds can make a surprisingly significant impact on how we perceive the taste of wine, the same is true for other foods and beverages.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

AndrewV69 wrote:Confirmation bias time:

Is Wine Bullshit?
Just as smell and memory are closely linked, so too are smell and taste. And just as the information provided by senses other than our taste buds can make a surprisingly significant impact on how we perceive the taste of wine, the same is true for other foods and beverages.
That is an accurate statement - our perceptions are based on all our senses, as well as memory, etc. I hope that isn't the part showing confirmation bias.

Skimming the article, I saw nothing new in it. I assume you are talking about how confirmation bias can make us perceive that expensive wines are perceived to taste better when you know the difference, but when judged double blinded, that perception is no longer valid?

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Tribble wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:Here is someone who might agree with Setar, though both i suspect may view the other with mutual disgust, if not dismay:

Not What Tom Jefferson Had in Mind
http://www.fredoneverything.net/YouSSR.shtml

The Founding Fathers (original intent) and the BIble (God's Will). Two things every rambling, 'get off my lawn' nut-case believes he is the one to understand it and this is why the country is 'going to hell.'
Fred may have some premises I disagree with, but that does not make him a nutcase. Just as while I may agree with Setar on some of his premises, that does not make him sane.

YMMV

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

LurkerPerson wrote:Try this. I almost threw up seeing it. Anyone who's ever disected a corpse probably won't have any problems with it.

I have never seen the point of quartering someone after they are dead unless it is to facilitate disposal of the body. If you are going to do it, why not start dismembering them while they are still alive?

In this case is there some sort of underlying expression of contempt at work? This question prompted me to do a search with the terms "psychology dismemberment". I came across this:

http://ericahutton.blogspot.ca/2011/03/ ... ns-of.html
Dismembering a victim illustrates an extreme notion of abhorrence towards the victim, psychologically dismissing their existence and disregarding them as being of any value whatsoever (Holmes & Holmes, 2002). The perpetrator that elects to dismember their victim desires to eliminate their existence, refusing to acknowledge them on a conscious level; furthermore, taking their body apart is perceived to be gratifying sexually and psychologically necessary (Holmes & Holmes, 2002).
I suppose that makes some sort of sense, but I really do not "get" it.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Badger3k wrote:

Is Wine Bullshit?
That is an accurate statement - our perceptions are based on all our senses, as well as memory, etc. I hope that isn't the part showing confirmation bias.

Skimming the article, I saw nothing new in it. I assume you are talking about how confirmation bias can make us perceive that expensive wines are perceived to taste better when you know the difference, but when judged double blinded, that perception is no longer valid?
Aye. Something like that. For example every time I have attended a fine dining joint, the wine alone usually costs more than the meal and I was curious if it was the price that affected my perception.

I do not order the wine specifically, I just ask the sommelier to use his discretion but I would like something semi sweet like a Merlot or a Pinot Noir if a red, and not very dry and semi-sweet if a white like a Sauvignon Blanc.

But they could just as easily have given me a bulk wine for all I really know about the subject. If fact if they did not make such a production out of it, presenting the bottle, cutting the foil, presenting the cork, they would probably get away with serving boxed wine.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Badger3k wrote:

Is Wine Bullshit?

It's not true that our perceptions are based entirely on our senses. Perception is a construct of the brain in which sense data is interpreted and expectations (often hard-wired and unconscious) come into play.

The mistake is made when you equate the fallibility of the senses with rejection of our senses entirely, what "sense-perception theorists" called the "argument from illusion".

The canonical example of this is seeing a stick in the water that, due to refraction, appears bent. My favorite Ordinary Language philosopher J.L. Austin in Sense and Sensibilia argued that the antidote to thinking your senses are deceiving you isn't the rejection of your senses, but more sense data: You pull the fucking stick out of the water.

Or drink a lot of wine.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3702/9223 ... e875e5.jpg

/didactic

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Ha!

Am I am now up there with Phil?

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Nooooooooo! Mykeru!!! I nearly a Phil! Fuck you!

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

Mykeru wrote: It's not true that our perceptions are based entirely on our senses. Perception is a construct of the brain in which sense data is interpreted and expectations (often hard-wired and unconscious) come into play.

The mistake is made when you equate the fallibility of the senses with rejection of our senses entirely, what "sense-perception theorists" called the "argument from illusion".

The canonical example of this is seeing a stick in the water that, due to refraction, appears bent. My favorite Ordinary Language philosopher J.L. Austin in Sense and Sensibilia argued that the antidote to thinking your senses are deceiving you isn't the rejection of your senses, but more sense data: You pull the fucking stick out of the water.

Or drink a lot of wine.

/didactic
Do they say anything about what should be done if one thinks one's senses are always unreliable? (If so, what?)

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

*he, not they. Dammit.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Al Stefanelli is scheduled to appear on the July 27, 2013 episode of Brave Hero Radio.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/bravehero/ ... stefanelli

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

deLurch wrote:
First off, there will always be trolls on the internet.
Second off, if you happen to count disagreement, or people noticing what you have stated and commenting it as bad treatment, there is no hope for you.

Through out the past couple of decades, the most sage advice on how to deal with trolls is not to feed them. Why on earth the radfems somehow think that somehow making a bigger deal out of and placing out a buffet for the trolls is a good idea is beyond me. The only time this works out well is if you are asking for money.
http://lanyrd.com/2013/skepchickcon/sckphm/
Skepchickcon in its blurb on Fight the Trolls session wrote:Last year we said don’t feed the trolls; this year we tell you how to fight the trolls. “Don’t feed the trolls” isn’t always an effective strategy, particularly with sexism and online harassment. Learn when, why, and how to fight the trolls instead. Modertor [sic]: Stephanie Zvan

Panelists: Amy Davis Roth, Amanda Marcotte, Rebecca Watson, Nora Last
http://events.skepchick.org/skepchickco ... panelists/
http://i.imgur.com/sX05TUl.png?1

So there you have it, an easy solution to Watson et al's troll problem: just send Zvan in to snack on the trolls for them.

(Of course, Zvan's definition of "troll" may be "anyone who disagrees with me on a site where I have control".)

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Who ate all the pies, Stephalump?

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

JackRayner wrote:
Cunning Punt wrote:

If birth canals and wombs were rocky. [I'll have to ask my gynecologist buddy. I've never peered inside with a flashlight or nuthin'. The walls could be a mesh of lubricated smooth rocks for all I know....]
They're actually usually pretty easy to remove, just firm constant traction (best done with a tool that grips the string or base of the IUD firmly). The "arms" are designed to bend or snap upwards to allow for removal.

The vaginal walls, between menarche and menopause, are "rugose" ("wrinkled; corrugated"); the inside of the uterus (as seen with a hysteroscope) is pretty smooth.

Parody Accountant

Sweet, ellenbeth wachs on Justin's podcast soon. Is the chat room open yet?

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

How does one get on the chatroom?

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Metalogic42 wrote:
Mykeru wrote: It's not true that our perceptions are based entirely on our senses. Perception is a construct of the brain in which sense data is interpreted and expectations (often hard-wired and unconscious) come into play.

Or drink a lot of wine.

/didactic
Do they say anything about what should be done if one thinks one's senses are always unreliable? (If so, what?)
I have a bit of a mis-statement there. "The mistake is made when you equate the fallibility of the senses with rejection of our senses entirely" should be "The mistake is made when you equate the fallibility of perception with rejection of our senses entirely"

A case where one's senses are always unreliable? How does that work? Do you mean we are living in The Matrix where we have sense-perception with no actual referent? Or do you mean our senses and the resulting perception are are a completely miscalibrated instrument for modeling external reality?

If the former, then it's a deliberate deception in which case you have bigger problems than just the reliability of senses, if the latter, I would note that even the most ardent adherent of the "argument from illusion" looks both ways before crossing the street.

Or are you talking about being shit-faced like a social justice warrior riding the conference circuit?

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Skep tickle wrote:
http://events.skepchick.org/skepchickco ... panelists/
http://i.imgur.com/sX05TUl.png?1

So there you have it, an easy solution to Watson et al's troll problem: just send Zvan in to snack on the trolls for them.

(Of course, Zvan's definition of "troll" may be "anyone who disagrees with me on a site where I have control".)
I think "snacking" must be a term of art. In which case she also "snacks" on spiders in the bathroom by screaming, running around flapping her arms and then hides under the bed while she demands someone else go in with a tissue to take care of it for her.

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

That panel isn't Fight the Trolls. It's How to Troll. Or Trolling 101.

Some key tips:

Never be intellectually or ethically consistent. Nothing riles people up like hypocrisy and double standards.

Ban/delete reasonable criticism of what you're saying, but let those who are giving you the reaction you're looking for through, to create the sense that's the "norm" among your opponents.

Imply or direction place in your writings negative motives/emotions. Makes people quite angry.

Once you piss people off, tell them what things you don't like so they can do those thins to you (because you don't like them) to prove your victim cred.

And so on.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Seth Andrews – The Thinking Atheist -- is scheduled to appear on the July 14 episode of Brave Hero Radio.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/bravehero/ ... ng-atheist

...busy day today, more guests to come in later days.

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

Mykeru wrote:
I have a bit of a mis-statement there. "The mistake is made when you equate the fallibility of the senses with rejection of our senses entirely" should be "The mistake is made when you equate the fallibility of perception with rejection of our senses entirely"

A case where one's senses are always unreliable? How does that work? Do you mean we are living in The Matrix where we have sense-perception with no actual referent? Or do you mean our senses and the resulting perception are are a completely miscalibrated instrument for modeling external reality?

If the former, then it's a deliberate deception in which case you have bigger problems than just the reliability of senses, if the latter, I would note that even the most ardent adherent of the "argument from illusion" looks both ways before crossing the street.

Or are you talking about being shit-faced like a social justice warrior riding the conference circuit?
What I meant was someone who would follow this line of reasoning:

"Either that stick is bent, or the water is distorting what I see."
*pulls stick out of the water*
"Either that stick is straight, or my glasses are distorting what I see."
*cleans glasses*
"Either that stick is still straight, or I have glaucoma".
*gets checked for glaucoma - negative*
"Either that stick is still straight, or I'm insane."
*psych eval, sane*
"Either that stick is still straight, or....

and so on, ad infinitum. Obviously, this gets ridiculous pretty quickly. I was just wondering what the book had to say about it, and whether it matched my own reasons for rejecting the infinite chain of pseudo-skepticism.

Aneris

Re: Elizabeth Cornwell / EvoPsych

Post by Aneris »

Aneris wrote:... Was checking out how many commentes Marcotte gets, and came across her latest article. I'm Pro-Choice just to be clear, but I find interesting how Gawker's version get's translated for Marcotte's audience ("Silent Mansplaining"). Also compare comments. Gawker's report indicates disapproval, but is otherwise factual. For Marcotte, the dude is an "asshole" with some assumed motivations (we don't know them). Commenters on Gawker make valid points, Marcotte's 2nd commenter (right now, Disqus etc.) already writes "... widespread illiteracy is incompatible with modernity and democracy. That is why we are now switching gears to third world style misogyny, unashamed racism and widespread militarist genocides".
Ok, self quote, but now PZ Myers also brought the same topic with a link to Marcotte. See what he did there...
PZ Myers wrote:So I am deeply impressed with this Brave Hero, who...
That's a reference to Justin Vacula's Brave Hero thing (he also spelled it upper case). I am curious, are you Anti-Abortion, Justin? Or is PZ Myers being disingenuous again?

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

justinvacula wrote:Seth Andrews – The Thinking Atheist -- is scheduled to appear on the July 14 episode of Brave Hero Radio.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/bravehero/ ... ng-atheist

...busy day today, more guests to come in later days.

You should try to get the guys from Cognitive Dissonance on:

http://dissonancepod.com/

It is my favourite podcast - they are funny as hell, and have very dirty mouths!

They came out on the side of FTB et al. a few months ago, however, I don't think they quite understand the depth to which FTB/A+ have taken their version of feminism. The CD guys love to use 'cunt' 'bitch' 'twat' etc. on a regular basis, and I think they would be shocked to learn that FTB/A+ would consider them to be raging misogynists.

Parody Accountant

Lsuoma wrote:How does one get on the chatroom?
one goes onto vacula's blogtalkradio link, and one makes an account.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/bravehero/ ... beth-wachs