Bleeding from the Bunghole

Old subthreads
cunt

Re: Bleeding from the Bunghole

Post by cunt »

What a lovely kid. WE MUST SECURE THE EXISTENCE OF OUR PEOPLE AND A FUTURE FOR WHITE CHILDREN. Sorry, don't know where that come from...

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

another lurker wrote:Anyone else having problems refreshing the 'pit, or is it just me? My ISP did an upgrade today, however, the only site that I am having issues with is the 'pit.
Yes, I'm having problems with the pit today. It's being dominated by cunt's trolling.

cunt

Post by cunt »

Mykeru wrote:
cunt wrote:I didn't even have to click "show-post" either.
I do with your posts. It's like tugging an incoherent little fortune cookie note from an ass crack.
I mean, you could stop doing that. Like you keep telling Hensley to stay off twitter.

Liesmith

Post by Liesmith »

I haven't been able to reply all day because I've been at work, but I just wanted to say that I agree with everything Cünt has said.

Apples

Post by Apples »

cunt wrote:
welch wrote: Neither one really works that well. Not enough people know that he's a fed, (well, NOW they do), and the reservation thing only makes sense if he's an indian.

Really, there's a wealth of good tropes about government employees out there, you should be doing better than this.
It'd be easier if he did something instantly recognisable, or useful. I think he makes powerpoints for some agency when he's not getting divorced and/or hit by cars. But whatever I agree it was lazy.

Don't you guys call the bit between the lanes the central reservation?
median strip

welch

Post by welch »

cunt wrote:
welch wrote: Neither one really works that well. Not enough people know that he's a fed, (well, NOW they do), and the reservation thing only makes sense if he's an indian.

Really, there's a wealth of good tropes about government employees out there, you should be doing better than this.
It'd be easier if he did something instantly recognisable, or useful. I think he makes powerpoints for some agency when he's not getting divorced and/or hit by cars. But whatever I agree it was lazy.

Don't you guys call the bit between the lanes the central reservation?
nope. the common term over here is the median, occasionally the island. I've honestly never heard reservation used as the term for that.

cunt

Post by cunt »

Ah, well that joke would brutally hospitalised a british audience.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

1001318_592476110792148_1949124654_n.jpg
(83.95 KiB) Downloaded 216 times

yomomma

Post by yomomma »

So, basically, evo-psych and its nay nays are in a fight.

I don't know a lot about evo-psych -- not even sure if I understand it. Isn't it the theory that human behavior is evolving and the more our primary needs are met, the more we can hyperfocus and over-analyze ourselves? Yes? No?

Joseph Porter, KCB

Post by Joseph Porter, KCB »

Just an observation, and I hope it is taken as such, but as the tension grows with (some) guys slinging insults, (some) ladies on the forum post cute baby animal pics. Totes a cultural construct, of course.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Joseph Porter, KCB wrote:Just an observation, and I hope it is taken as such, but as the tension grows with (some) guys slinging insults, (some) ladies on the forum post cute baby animal pics. Totes a cultural construct, of course.
http://metrouk2.files.wordpress.com/200 ... 50x363.jpg

CaptainFluffyBunny

Joseph Porter, KCB wrote:Just an observation, and I hope it is taken as such, but as the tension grows with (some) guys slinging insults, (some) ladies on the forum post cute baby animal pics. Totes a cultural construct, of course.
Indeed, for I have posted a baby animal and I am a dreaded cis....WHITE MALE! So tremble in your hetronormative boots, vile one!

CaptainFluffyBunny

Gumby wrote:
Dafuq, did you just dox cunt?!?

cunt

Post by cunt »

yomomma wrote:So, basically, evo-psych and its nay nays are in a fight.

I don't know a lot about evo-psych -- not even sure if I understand it. Isn't it the theory that human behavior is evolving and the more our primary needs are met, the more we can hyperfocus and over-analyze ourselves? Yes? No?
Mostly its the theory that we can make some easy money by doing some survey for a shopping mall and get reported in the right wing media.

unicorn fucker

Post by unicorn fucker »

Well done Gumbers, well done

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

cunt wrote:
Mykeru wrote:
I do with your posts. It's like tugging an incoherent little fortune cookie note from an ass crack.
I mean, you could stop doing that. Like you keep telling Hensley to stay off twitter.
That's the perfect analogy. You're like two peas in a pod.

If you're going to leave, leave. If not, stop shitting all over the carpet.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

[youtube]DlS3w1GGE8g[/youtube]

What image search unearths.
http://metalinjection.s3.amazonaws.com/ ... r-Fan.jpeg

CaptainFluffyBunny

It is heretical, as it believes there are actual differences between evil menz and benovolent womyn that may have evolved that way, instead of being a cultural construct of the sinister patriarchy. Among many other sins with race and shopping and time machines (courtesy of our resident expert, cunt.)

Joseph Porter, KCB

Well, you're making a joke I think.

But the essence of EvoPysch is just that, like all other animals, we should assume that humans are well-adapted to their environment, and that adaptations extend not just to bodies, but to brains (because brains are just a part of the body) and to the behaviors caused by those brains.

When a bird leks (that is, the male birds put on a dance show for the female birds, who then choose mates based on the dance), we call that an adaptation. EvoPysch just says that human behavior is also an adaptation.

Less central is the idea of the "Era of Evolutionary Adaptation", which is the idea that the environment that humans adapted to is the one we lived in prior to the discovery of agricultural. This explains, e..g, why our bodies like to accumulate fat, even though doing that in the modern West is unhealthy. The basic idea is that evolution hasn't "caught up to" changes we ourselves made to our environments.

While this is controversial (especially among SJWs, Marxists, Rousseauns, and the adherents of what Pinker terms the Standard Social Science Model, who see human behavior as infinitely malleable), the alternative (that evolutionary changes have continued since farming began) is far more controversial, as it allows the possibility of non-trivial genetic differences between groups of modern humans, which some might use to argue against racial equality.

(But in truth, we do know of some real and substantial changes since agriculture, in particular the ability of adults to digest lactose, which has a real effect on fitness.

But the central point is or should be non-controversial: your eye is adapted to the kind of light the Sun provides, your feet and legs to walking upright, and similarly, your brain and your behaviors to doing human acts.

welch

Post by welch »

cunt wrote:What a lovely kid. WE MUST SECURE THE EXISTENCE OF OUR PEOPLE AND A FUTURE FOR WHITE CHILDREN. Sorry, don't know where that come from...

That's okay puddin', no one else does either.

unicorn fucker

Post by unicorn fucker »

Just saw aneris' snoring dormouse video. Omfg. If anything will destroy the pit it will be from excessive cutiepieness.

welch

Post by welch »

cunt wrote:
Mykeru wrote:
Someone mark the date. Cunt accidentally made a cogent point.

welch

Post by welch »

cunt wrote:Ah, well that joke would brutally hospitalised a british audience.
The bar on that is kind of low.

welch

Post by welch »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:
Gumby wrote:
Dafuq, did you just dox cunt?!?
BAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHA....that's almost as funny as Lsuoma's dead horse gif. Which makes me giggle far more than it should.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Indeed. “More of a gal thing.” Git apparently being the exception that proves the rule; not sure about Gumby’s contribution though .... ;-)

welch

Post by welch »

cunt wrote:

Mostly its the theory that we can make some easy money by doing some survey for a shopping mall and get reported in the right wing media.
So did you get that one from Pinker then?

(it's okay. We both know you don't actually know shit about EP, and are just trolling people, because it's what you do. But you might want to find a new string to pull, people are figuring this one out.)

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

welch wrote:
cunt wrote:What a lovely kid. WE MUST SECURE THE EXISTENCE OF OUR PEOPLE AND A FUTURE FOR WHITE CHILDREN. Sorry, don't know where that come from...

I expect it's not far removed from an election slogan of the BNP that he was sort of throwing stones at - directly or indirectly.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Steersman wrote:
Indeed. “More of a gal thing.” Git apparently being the exception that proves the rule; not sure about Gumby’s contribution though .... ;-)
to be fair, Katamari is perpetually gifting us with the cute animal in his avatar:P

and perpetually punishing us with the Anthony K that is behind it...

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Everything I learnt about EP happened while listening to last weeks SGU children and toys segment. Something about brain plasticity.

Just saying ........

welch

Post by welch »

Joseph Porter, KCB wrote:

Well, you're making a joke I think.

But the essence of EvoPysch is just that, like all other animals, we should assume that humans are well-adapted to their environment, and that adaptations extend not just to bodies, but to brains (because brains are just a part of the body) and to the behaviors caused by those brains.

When a bird leks (that is, the male birds put on a dance show for the female birds, who then choose mates based on the dance), we call that an adaptation. EvoPysch just says that human behavior is also an adaptation.

Less central is the idea of the "Era of Evolutionary Adaptation", which is the idea that the environment that humans adapted to is the one we lived in prior to the discovery of agricultural. This explains, e..g, why our bodies like to accumulate fat, even though doing that in the modern West is unhealthy. The basic idea is that evolution hasn't "caught up to" changes we ourselves made to our environments.

While this is controversial (especially among SJWs, Marxists, Rousseauns, and the adherents of what Pinker terms the Standard Social Science Model, who see human behavior as infinitely malleable), the alternative (that evolutionary changes have continued since farming began) is far more controversial, as it allows the possibility of non-trivial genetic differences between groups of modern humans, which some might use to argue against racial equality.

(But in truth, we do know of some real and substantial changes since agriculture, in particular the ability of adults to digest lactose, which has a real effect on fitness.

But the central point is or should be non-controversial: your eye is adapted to the kind of light the Sun provides, your feet and legs to walking upright, and similarly, your brain and your behaviors to doing human acts.
That's been my read on the actual science of it, at least the parts i've read. Now, there's a lot of people using EP to justify some really stupid shit, but then again, people did that with evolution as well. And physics, chemistry, etc.

If you're going to go Cunt's route and dismiss an area of science solely because it's new and people use it to justify stupid/hurtful behavior, well, then you should at least grab some intellectual consistency and bin the rest of science as well, because there's nothing new there. EP is hardly breaking new ground in that area.

However, i am amused at how many people took his opinion as some kind of reasoned, specific criticism of EP. It wasn't, and in a sense, by trying to make it into that, you've been strawmanning him quite a bit. Which gave him a marvelous opening to troll the fuck out of a lot of people.

cunt

Post by cunt »

welch wrote:
cunt wrote:

(it's okay. We both know you don't actually know shit about EP, and are just trolling people, because it's what you do. But you might want to find a new string to pull, people are figuring this one out.)
Or, i'm just obviously kidding about the easy money thing....

welch

Post by welch »

Steersman wrote:
welch wrote:

I expect it's not far removed from an election slogan of the BNP that he was sort of throwing stones at - directly or indirectly.
Yeah, he's really trying too hard for the inside jokes now.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

I'll just drop the Wikipedia introduction. It's not quite right because it over-states a certain EP position, but arguing with idiots who politicize wikipedia is fruitless:
Evolutionary psychology (EP) is an approach in the social and natural sciences that examines psychological traits such as memory, perception, and language from a modern evolutionary perspective. It seeks to identify which human psychological traits are evolved adaptations – that is, the functional products of natural selection or sexual selection. Adaptationist thinking about physiological mechanisms, such as the heart, lungs, and immune system, is common in evolutionary biology. Some evolutionary psychologists apply the same thinking to psychology, arguing that the mind has a modular structure similar to that of the body, with different modular adaptations serving different functions. Evolutionary psychologists argue that much of human behavior is the output of psychological adaptations that evolved to solve recurrent problems in human ancestral environments.[1]

The adaptationist approach is steadily increasing as an influence in the general field of psychology.[2][3]

Evolutionary psychologists suggest that EP is not simply a subdiscipline of psychology but that evolutionary theory can provide a foundational, metatheoretical framework that integrates the entire field of psychology, in the same way it has for biology.[4][5][6]

Evolutionary psychologists hold that behaviors or traits that occur universally in all cultures are good candidates for evolutionary adaptations[3] including the abilities to infer others' emotions, discern kin from non-kin, identify and prefer healthier mates, and cooperate with others. They report successful tests of theoretical predictions related to such topics as infanticide, intelligence, marriage patterns, promiscuity, perception of beauty, bride price, and parental investment.[7]
Like all fledgling disciplines/challenge to orthodoxy, there are those that are frightened by it as it directly or indirectly attacks their world view. Examples include the Theory of Evolution, the Heliocentric Solar System (Copernican model) another and, oddly enough, plate tectonics.

In the end, EP will prove itself or it wont. But what it's 'critics' like PZ Myers, Cunt and Watson say is just horseshit of the finest stench. They don't get it. They can't get it. They are, simply put, rigid ideologues who can't accept paradigm shifts that challenge their world views.

Rigid fossils doomed to a life of 'hey you kids, get off my lawn!' They remind me of those wackaloons who come up with their own 'new brand of physics.' And then go on to self publish books containing their crackpot ideas.

Like Dara O'Briain said:

“Science knows it doesn't know everything; otherwise, it'd stop. But just because science doesn't know everything doesn't mean you can fill in the gaps with whatever fairy tale most appeals to you.”

And I would add, reject it out of your partisan hackery. It'll succeed in pushing the boundaries of knowledge, or it won't. Regardless of people like Cunt, PZ Myers and Rebecca Watson imagine it to be and how many idiotic objections they raise out of ignorance.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Related?

http://suite101.com/a/using-the-brain-t ... cd-a247596

In The Brain That Changes Itself, Norman Doidge M.D. overthrows years of dogma about the fixity of the brain by examining the ways in which neuroplasticity — a fundamental property of the brain — can bring about successful physical healing and personal transformation. Neuroplasticity is the ability of the brain to rewire its circuits for change.

One example he explores is Dr. Jeffrey M. Schwartz's use of "plasticity-based treatment" to help patients locked in repetitive cycles of obsessive compulsions. These patients often "get stuck" in behaviors like hair pulling, buttoning and unbuttoning shirts, hand and body washing – rituals they utilize as an attempt to staunch their sense of impending disaster. Compulsive hand and nail biting often leads to injured fingers and hands known as dermatophagia.

cunt

Post by cunt »

Those are the 14 words of white power nationalists. I'm really glad you didn't get it. I think Bhurzums probably did.

ROBOKiTTY

Post by ROBOKiTTY »

As Matt said a while ago, evo-psych is just ethology applied to the genus Homo.

welch

Post by welch »

cunt wrote:
welch wrote:
cunt wrote:

At this point, it's hard to tell. You need to at least try to make the joke understandable by someone who isn't you. I mean, you don't have to make it steersman-obvious, but something that indicates it's humor and not just more spinning up of the scientists is helpful.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

BarnOwl wrote:
Apples wrote:PZ just squeezed out a 900+ word post (including copypasta) telling us to be skeptical about the PNAS men and women's brains study because you have to be cautious about fMRI experiments -- even though, as commenter Enkidum observes, it wasn't an fMRI study, it was a Diffusion Tensor Imaging study. Both techniques require MRI machines, but AFAICT almost nothing PZ says applies to the data in the paper.
<snip>
Nope - it's an MRI technique but significantly different from fMRI and isn't about "interpretation of function" - it's about tracing diffusion of water molecules to discern axonal alignment. PZ is just one of those remarkable pigheaded types whose fragile egos prevent them from admitting even relatively small mistakes.
Gotta love how PZ doubles down when he's wrong. Not. Yeah, all MRI techniques are the same and subject to the same problems with technique, modeling, interpretation, etc. ....
Anyway, here's a link to the PNAS paper in question:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24297904

And here's a link to a decent review article on DTI and diffusion-weighted MRI that provides an analysis of what can and can't be determined using these methods:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22846632

Happy to send anyone the pdfs if you don't have access to the papers.
Yes, please do send both. I’m particularly interested in the specifics, the actual distribution of the various attributes. The abstract for the PNAS paper argues:
Males have better motor and spatial abilities, whereas females have superior memory and social cognition skills.
It is maybe just laziness, or maybe something understood by all, or almost all – everyone but me, but I find that type of language to be rather problematic as it sort of suggests that all “males have better motor and spatial abilities” than, presumably, all females, and likewise with females and “memory and social cognition skills”. Causes no end of problems, derailing conversations left, right and center.

Apropos of which you might be interested in the Guardian article that apparently started this conversation and, in particular, this Guardian article in response by a woman titled So my mushy head is 'hardwired' for girly things, is it? If this is science, I am Richard Dawkins. While it is maybe a bit of hyperbole as the article seems more on an even keel, it still seems to be relying on some highly questionable stereotypes of the author’s, and of society in general.

welch

Post by welch »

cunt wrote:Those are the 14 words of white power nationalists. I'm really glad you didn't get it. I think Bhurzums probably did.
In what country? Dude, seriously, you're playing for a rather global audience here. The entire BNP is outnumbered by just the Klan in alabama. Although to be fair, all the Klan in Alabama's combined IQ is probably outnumbered by the stupidest member of that party, so you win there.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

another lurker wrote:
Steersman wrote:
to be fair, Katamari is perpetually gifting us with the cute animal in his avatar:P

and perpetually punishing us with the Anthony K that is behind it...
Mixed blessings? "The lord giveth and the lord taketh away"? :-)

cunt

Post by cunt »

welch wrote:
cunt wrote:Those are the 14 words of white power nationalists. I'm really glad you didn't get it. I think Bhurzums probably did.
In what country? Dude, seriously, you're playing for a rather global audience here. The entire BNP is outnumbered by just the Klan in alabama. Although to be fair, all the Klan in Alabama's combined IQ is probably outnumbered by the stupidest member of that party, so you win there.
Worldwide, its actually more of an american neo-nazi thing than british. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourteen_Words

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Liesmith

Post by Liesmith »

Guys guise gize.

Enjoy some delicious strife. Take this, and eat of it.

welch

Post by welch »

cunt wrote:
welch wrote:
Worldwide, its actually more of an american neo-nazi thing than british. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourteen_Words
Ohhh...okay. See, there's so many weirdo white supremacist/nazi groups in the US, (fuck, half of idaho is nothing but their mecca over here), you have to be more specific. On any given day, those clowns are sucking all the media dick they can get, so specifics get drowned out by the overall noise. You have to be Westboro Baptist Church-crazy to get noticed around here.

Then add that I live in FL, and good luck defeating THAT level of crazy.

Cliché Guevara

Post by Cliché Guevara »

Aneris wrote:Robert Sapolsky: Are Humans Just Another Primate?
I wish this article of his wasn't behind a paywall: http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB1 ... 0532617704

welch

Post by welch »

Liesmith wrote:Guys guise gize.

Oh that shit again. Whatever. If you're in a dark alley, you should be creeped out by ANYONE just hanging out there, no matter size or gender.

Fuck, that's like saying "Guys, you shouldn't be upset if women don't want to go walking with you in a minefield"

When they're recycling old Laden points, why even bother.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

welch wrote:
That's been my read on the actual science of it, at least the parts i've read. Now, there's a lot of people using EP to justify some really stupid shit, but then again, people did that with evolution as well. And physics, chemistry, etc.

If you're going to go Cunt's route and dismiss an area of science solely because it's new and people use it to justify stupid/hurtful behavior, well, then you should at least grab some intellectual consistency and bin the rest of science as well, because there's nothing new there. EP is hardly breaking new ground in that area.

However, i am amused at how many people took his opinion as some kind of reasoned, specific criticism of EP. It wasn't, and in a sense, by trying to make it into that, you've been strawmanning him quite a bit. Which gave him a marvelous opening to troll the fuck out of a lot of people.
Look at Deepak Chopra. The guy is a huge woo peddler and it he dresses it all up in science-like physics-bafflegarble. Here he is dragging quantuum physics into one of his execrable HuffPo colums: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/deepak-ch ... 18940.html

And look at his published book list which includes titles such as:

Quantum Healing: Exploring the Frontiers of Mind/Body Medicine
Ageless Body, Timeless Mind: The Quantum Alternative to Growing Old
New Physics of Healing
War of the Worldviews: Where Science and Spirituality Meet -- and Do Not
The Essential Ageless Body, Timeless Mind: The Essence of the Quantum Alternative to Growing Old
Healing the Heart: A Spiritual Approach to Reversing Coronary Artery Disease

And more...

And it's all science-sounding bafflegarble written by a con man.

And he's not the only one. He's just the low-hanging fruit. There are lot of them that are harder to tell. It takes real knowledge to know they are actually fakers and fraudsters.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

welch wrote:
cunt wrote: <snip>
At this point, it's hard to tell. You need to at least try to make the joke understandable by someone who isn't you. I mean, you don't have to make it steersman-obvious, but something that indicates it's humor and not just more spinning up of the scientists is helpful.
What’s this? JCW virtually admitting that his sense of humour is not omniscient? That it is still somewhat idiosyncratic? That he is demanding some hints for those unlikely to be familiar with a particular genre or dialect? Shocking, you say!

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Cliché Guevara wrote:
Aneris wrote:Robert Sapolsky: Are Humans Just Another Primate?
I wish this article of his wasn't behind a paywall: http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB1 ... 0532617704
Alas, however

welch

Post by welch »

Steersman wrote:
welch wrote:
cunt wrote: <snip>
What’s this? JCW virtually admitting that his sense of humour is not omniscient? That it is still somewhat idiosyncratic? That he is demanding some hints for those unlikely to be familiar with a particular genre or dialect? Shocking, you say!
you're STILL crying about that? Christ man, that was what, a week ago?

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Liesmith wrote:Guys guise gize.

And black men in elevators... Now, what else would I need for the shaming men/racism trifecta?

cunt

Post by cunt »

welch wrote: Ohhh...okay. See, there's so many weirdo white supremacist/nazi groups in the US, (fuck, half of idaho is nothing but their mecca over here), you have to be more specific. On any given day, those clowns are sucking all the media dick they can get, so specifics get drowned out by the overall noise. You have to be Westboro Baptist Church-crazy to get noticed around here.

Then add that I live in FL, and good luck defeating THAT level of crazy.
Ah, well they'll all recognise that. Its what they chant while they're jerking the next klansman off.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

welch wrote:
Steersman wrote:
welch wrote: <snip>
you're STILL crying about that? Christ man, that was what, a week ago?
And you brought it up again moments ago; you wish to make yourself a target don't be suprised if people oblige.

Joseph Porter, KCB

another lurker wrote:Related?

http://suite101.com/a/using-the-brain-t ... cd-a247596

In The Brain That Changes Itself, Norman Doidge M.D. overthrows years of dogma about the fixity of the brain by examining the ways in which neuroplasticity — a fundamental property of the brain — can bring about successful physical healing and personal transformation. Neuroplasticity is the ability of the brain to rewire its circuits for change.

One example he explores is Dr. Jeffrey M. Schwartz's use of "plasticity-based treatment" to help patients locked in repetitive cycles of obsessive compulsions. These patients often "get stuck" in behaviors like hair pulling, buttoning and unbuttoning shirts, hand and body washing – rituals they utilize as an attempt to staunch their sense of impending disaster. Compulsive hand and nail biting often leads to injured fingers and hands known as dermatophagia.
Not really related. EP says you have a suite of behaviors and traits because in the past, people with those behaviors and traits had more grandchildren than people who didn't have those behaviors and traits.

Neuroplasticity can I guess be seen as such a trait, but really it's just a consequence of numbers.

You have maybe 3 billion base pairs in your DNA, which make up about 21,000 genes that code for proteins, and an unknown number of regulatory genes.

But in your brain (let alone the rest of your nervous system) you have maybe 85 billion neurons, and maybe a quadrillion (100,000,000,000,000) connections between those neurons.

So there's just not enough DNA to specify which neurons should connect to which other neurons. But to be a human (or a cat, or a grasshopper), you have to have some connection setup.

This is where plasticity (and chemical gradients and chemotaxsis and lots of other things) comes into play: there's enough DNA to specify a sort of feedback loop, where neurons are initially more promiscuously connected, and then pruned back.

Analogously to Michelangelo finding the sculpture in the block of marble, a lot of childhood brain development involves letting most connections wither away, leaving only the "right" ones. It's surmised by some (see William H. Calvin) that this, and other brain functions, are themselves Darwinian processes in which only the fittest connections survive.

Until relatively recently (the last 20 years or so), we thought that neuroplasticity ended when after childhood development. But studies on songbirds (which in some species relearn their songs every mating season), on cabbies, and pianists, and clinical observation of brain-injured humans, have shown us that plasticity continues in adult brains.

But this has little to do with EvoPysch; EvoPysch is about in-born, human-universal behaviors.

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

AnonymousCowherd wrote:
justinvacula wrote:
What happened to Rocko who produced great musical numbers? :(
Some kind of trade off between am-dram and am-non-dram (i.e. being a lawyer). Honestly, if anyone ever sat through a trial that wasn't being "sexed up" for television, you'd have to wonder why they didn't realise "courtroom drama" is an oxymoron.

I hope he's doing well, but I do miss the dramatic readings.
I'm alive! Haven't done anything for a while, though! Had an am-dram musical I was in that took up a bit of time. That and a new girlfriend (who is a professionally trained singer ;)).

I could do more, but at the moment, I'm not at the stage in the relationship where I'm willing to say 'so here's my terrible singing recorded on the internets on a very niche issue'.

So how y'all doing?

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

Does anyone know if Shermer actually ended up suing Myers? I wanted Myers to get his ass handed to him for being ridiculous on the internet.

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

Are we all still sexist dickheads, btw? I wanted to check that.