Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
ConcentratedH2O, OM

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

The internet's weird. I Googled "Images of a woman anally assaulting a man with a huge bicycle pump while a blimp floats by in the background".

No way! I thought.

Hmmm...

http://skepchick.org/2012/10/ai-a-round-of-shots/

oolon**

Post by oolon** »

BarnOwl wrote:
oolon** wrote: So if cunt, bitch and twat were less acceptable world-wide a lot here would seemingly stop saying them (I'm addressing them from here on not *all* the pitters). You do realise nigger and faggot were quite happily bandied about not so long ago? As a thought experiment can you imagine a world where Rebecca et al have won their fight against misogyny so misogynistic terms** are no longer acceptable worldwide? By your own admission you would then modify your behaviour to match that norm.

<snip>

Is it not easier to accept that some people (Not insignificant number - but usually women) will find the word cunt to be demeaning and degrading in the same way that some people (Not insignificant number - but usually POC and gays so a minority in many places world wide) will find faggot and nigger to be degrading and demeaning? If you don't want to degrade and demean group B by use of mere words then why degrade and demean group A?
I'm middle-aged and I don't recall those words ever being "quite happily bandied about" in any situation that I've encountered. Maybe it happened in those parts of the US that are weirdly homogeneous and lacking in diversity, such as much of the upper Midwest. You know, the dominant geographic paradigm of FfTB, where "POC and gays" (your wording) may indeed be tiny minorities. I try to avoid living and working in places like that.

If we stopped using the words "cunt," "bitch,"and "twat,'" your lot would simply find other words about which to be offended. You'd come over here to the Pit, oolon, and manufacture some sin-of-omission nontroversy about how one of the Slymepitters used the WERD several times and NO ONE did ANYTHING about it!!11!! It matters not one bit what the word is, or what we do or don't do ... you'll set it up as some sure sign of our racism/sexism/misogyny/gender traitordom/pure unadulterated evil over at FfTB, and since we've all been preemptively banned from posting, there's nothing we can do about it. You're a fucking disingenuous hypocrite, oolon, just like all your handlers over at FfTB.

Now run along back to Mordor, Gollum - post a nice mendacious report about the nasssty Slymepitterssess and their wordssesss, and maybe Myers will let you touch the precioussss.
That's it? Your argument is resorting to a strawman of me complaining that you using certain words means you are a misogynistic-racist bunch? So much for you actually reading anything I say and coming back with a coherent argument, let alone a cogent one. Not even one attempt to explain what is a clear disparity in the way you approach the taboo of *some* words. No mention of the absurdity of basing your taboos on the general view (Of the western world?) of that word being *too bad* to somehow utter.

This place isn't that different from Pharyngula, you pat each other on the back about how 'sceptical' you all are and 'no argument is banned'... We pitters don't porcupine people arguing with us, we respond with the force of our sceptical branes! I think you may be all too used to all the agreement on here. on here. on here. on here... [In case Dick, Andrew etc cannot spot real trolling that was an inflammatory reference to slime-blasphemy, the Pharyngula echo chamber gambit!]

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

http://i48.tinypic.com/33y5hqe.jpg

This is what JV and the SCA caved into. Blatant, outright threats of harassment and intimidation by a crazed group of radfem/atheist fundamentalists. Indeed, the terrorists have won this round.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Tigzy wrote:
Gumby wrote:Well, the baboons must be elated at this new proof that their bullying and smear campaigns work brilliantly. Now they will feel that much more empowered to go after anyone they don't like, in their quest to take over all of atheism and skepticism. Way to fucking cave in. *spit*
Personally, I'm hoping they feel empowered enough to go after that powerful, connected libel lawyer who has been rumoured to be the mystery groper at those Skeptics in the Pub events.

After all, as the not very powerful nor connected Dr Buzzo will attest, it's not as if mere rumours would prevent the the courageous horde of FfTB from naming and shaming, would it?

Given that Vacula's perceived unfitness for his role in the SCA brough out such righteous fury in the baboons, then surely someone like this powerful, connected libel lawyer who's been rumoured to grope women is surely unfit for his prominent role in a British skeptics group and magazine, right?
Yeah, I'm looking for them to start that campaign the day after Rebecca Watson stops drinking.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Gollum wrote:This place isn't that different from Pharyngula, you pat each other on the back about how 'sceptical' you all are and 'no argument is banned'... We pitters don't porcupine people arguing with us, we respond with the force of our sceptical branes! I think you may be all too used to all the agreement on here. on here. on here. on here...
If it's not that different from Pharyngula, then why do you dislike it so? Or do you dislike Pharyngula too? Or could it be...that you do actually kinda like the slymepit?

Butters

Post by Butters »

Gumby wrote:http://i48.tinypic.com/33y5hqe.jpg

This is what JV and the SCA caved into. Blatant, outright threats of harassment and intimidation by a crazed group of radfem/atheist fundamentalists. Indeed, the terrorists have won this round.

If no one tells this poster that they are wrong for posting this, that says it all.

I am not feeling like looking for this poster to see how new they are. Could be a poe, but you can't tell with that group.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

oolon, you are now beginning to not make sense.

You have either overlooked or willfully and maliciously misrepresented every response to your gibbberish, and you're now beginning to bark at the moon.

Are you Laden in disguise? No, wait, I take that back. Your writing skills are actually far superior to Laden's. But your lack of logic and your dishonesty certainly carry the foul reek of his scat trail.

real horrorshow

Post by real horrorshow »

Reap wrote:
You merkins really need to stop with all this neo-puritan bollocks, seriously
I'm reading the comments on Justin's 'I resign my leadership position with Secular Coalition for America' post. After posting a couple replies to oolon I think it would be a better use of my time just to make a post covering everything here. oolon, shut the fuck up, even as a troll you suck.
Oolon is another Everyman (remember him?). Shows up; throws out some accusation/question; wont do his own research; when spoon fed an answer, ignores it. Then comes back later and does it all again. I went through it with Everyman, I'm bored with it, I'm not doing it again.
Gumby wrote:Well, the baboons must be elated at this new proof that their bullying and smear campaigns work brilliantly. Now they will feel that much more empowered to go after anyone they don't like, in their quest to take over all of atheism and skepticism. Way to fucking cave in. *spit*
The problem, frankly, is the ever increasing number of atheist/sceptic organisations in the US and their utter gutlessness in the face of this crap. The FCs/Baboons/Skepchicks have exactly as much influence as they allow them to have and no more. Yet what do they do? Queue up on demand to grovel to Sulky Amy on Skepchicks about 'harassment'. Piss away money on conferences, which only a fraction of their membership/supporters can afford to attend, and to which they invite the very people who are attacking them and undermining their work. Now this shit!
Xxild has it right over on Justin's blog:
I’m sorry to hear this. I’d hoped you wouldn’t step down. I’m sickened by the Freethought Bloggers and the behavior of their followers. I see you as one of the few who see what is wrong with that particular part of the community. You tried. Let it run its course now.

I’m disgusted. I say boycott any event in which any of those hate mongering fools are speaking.
Tell the leaders of these groups to show some backbone. To show some support for the real activists. Most of all, stop feeding the mouth that bites them with paid conference invitations. We'd here a hell of a lot less from the likes of Watson if she had to work for a living!

JackRayner
Location: In the basement of the University of Minnesota Morris

Post by JackRayner »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Stop the RPG-bashing now! You priviledged non-Skaven snobs!

Off to bed. G'night all!
Hahahah.

Alright, alright. So, to clarify: There are people who honestly enjoy the games. Not all who play are doing it ironically or to earn nerd-cred that they can use to bang the girl who wears the thick framed eyeglasses and funny colored hair.

I, however, am suspicious of kids that were born in the 90's [YES] and who show an uncharacteristically high interest for a type of game that was dead before they were born.

[I was going to share my analysis of these female "nerds", their motivations and such, but I think I'll skip out on that one...]

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:The internet's weird. I Googled "Images of a woman anally assaulting a man with a huge bicycle pump while a blimp floats by in the background".

No way! I thought.

Hmmm...

Skepchicks loves vaccines, andimmahappyforya. But letting non-scientists talk about vaccines is how you get posts that insinuate 'colds' (not a real term, technically adenovirus, rhinovirus, coronavirus, RSV, etc), pneumonia (again a catch-all term, could be caused by any number of viruses/bacteria or not from an infectious agent at all), and 'stomach bugs' (yet again, viruses, bacteria, allergic reactions, etc) have any connection whatsoever to annual flu shots.

Having non-scientists say stupid things about vaccines, even if theyre 'pro-vaccine', doesnt make my life easier.

THANKS.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Tigzy wrote:
If it's not that different from Pharyngula, then why do you dislike it so? Or do you dislike Pharyngula too? Or could it be...that you do actually kinda like the slymepit?
It's kinda like those fundies and politicians who rant about homosexuality: you know sooner or later they'll be caught with a wide stance, and with someone lifting their luggage...

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

oolon** wrote:This place isn't that different from Pharyngula, you pat each other on the back about how 'sceptical' you all are and 'no argument is banned'... We pitters don't porcupine people arguing with us, we respond with the force of our sceptical branes! I think you may be all too used to all the agreement on here. on here. on here. on here... [In case Dick, Andrew etc cannot spot real trolling that was an inflammatory reference to slime-blasphemy, the Pharyngula echo chamber gambit!]
Sorry oolon but I am an Aspie and generally incapable of telling when someone is trolling or not. Like I said before, I take you as you appear to be.

Your only hope in my case is to specifically point out that you are trolling. I view your posts here with :popcorn:

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Lsuoma wrote:
Tigzy wrote:
It's kinda like those fundies and politicians who rant about homosexuality: you know sooner or later they'll be caught with a wide stance, and with someone lifting their luggage...
I'd say it was more akin to a Victorian missionary going to one of those places in Africa where the female natives are bare chested, and handing out bibles along with thunderous admonishments against such sinful nakedness. And he keeps going back, and back, and back, because the loin's Lord's calling is not to be resisted...

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

I think Oolon is trolling, but I love it, because I know PZ Myers is getting well pissed off about it.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Tigzy wrote:
I'd say it was more akin to a Victorian missionary going to one of those places in Africa where the female natives are bare chested, and handing out bibles along with thunderous admonishments against such sinful nakedness. And he keeps going back, and back, and back, because the loin's Lord's calling is not to be resisted...
That too...

disumbrationist

Post by disumbrationist »

oolon wrote: This place isn't that different from Pharyngula, you pat each other on the back about how 'sceptical' you all are and 'no argument is banned'... We pitters don't porcupine people arguing with us, we respond with the force of our sceptical branes! I think you may be all too used to all the agreement on here. on here. on here. on here...
No argument is banned. Go ahead, make any argument you like. Say any word you like. A single example of a banned argument or word would suffice to prove your point.
My Jimmies remain unrustled.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

uoth Gollumoolon:
That's it? Your argument is resorting to a strawman of me complaining that you using certain words means you are a misogynistic-racist bunch? So much for you actually reading anything I say and coming back with a coherent argument, let alone a cogent one. Not even one attempt to explain what is a clear disparity in the way you approach the taboo of *some* words. No mention of the absurdity of basing your taboos on the general view (Of the western world?) of that word being *too bad* to somehow utter.
How is it a strawman? That's exactly your tactic: make a false dichotomy between words that have a long and ugly association with violence, hatred, and oppression of African-Americans or gay individuals in the US, and words that have no such history or cultural baggage, and then use it to whinge about how we don't object to the words that offend you, and therefore we must be *fill in the blank with your favorite accusation*. I'm not going to speak for any of the other Slymepitters (and we do disagree on various matters frequently), but my taboos are based on my knowledge and experience of the history and cultural environment in which I live. Cunt, bitch, and twat do not have the vile histories of oppression that n*gger and f*ggot do. Segregation, lynchings and intimidation by the KKK, people kept from jobs and housing and healthcare because of the color of their skin, or because of their sexual orientation. FWIW I have similar taboos against using the words w*tback and sp*ck and other ethnic slurs that I need not list even in asterisked form. The cultural/historical explanation is the only one you'll get from me and I don't think it's absurd at all. I could worry all my working life about whether the words fuck and shit and goddamn are going to offend my evangelical Christian co-workers, but that would be stupid, because those words don't have the history that the ethnic and homosexual slurs do.
This place isn't that different from Pharyngula, you pat each other on the back about how 'sceptical' you all are and 'no argument is banned'
Well yes, there is at least one thing I share with Pharyngula, and I have a funny little bet going with a couple of old pals who share the same thing with Pharyngula. But that would be derailing. :animals-duckie:

What arguments have been banned from the Slymepit? Which commenters have been banned? You're still here, commenting away. None of us can comment on Pharyngula, because we've posted at a "hate site." WhatthefuckEVAH.

You know, Gollumoolon, I don't really care about not being able to comment at Pharyngula, or at any of the other FTB blogs. I can't travel to any of the atheists/skeptics meetings anyway, and so it doesn't really matter whether I'd be ostracized at such events or not. My job wears me out physically (and sometimes intellectually) and I'd be too tired to travel to meetings if I could get the time off anyway.

What REALLY pisses me off, however, is the way that unproductive embittered bullies have used their stature and influence an bloggy-bully pulpits to vilify some of the younger members of the community, like Abbie and now Justin. That is inexcusable behavior, cowardly and hypocritical, and at the very least, mocking the culprits makes me feel a little better about my utter ineffectuality in this matter. If they're going to blog and boast and tweet about their shit publicly, then it's fair game. Don't want to be mocked? Then don't tweet about your stupid escapades.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

uoth --> Quoth

false dichotomy ---> false equivalency

Yes I need to go make a little broccoli-shrimp-cashew stir fry with brown rice for dinner. Not thinking clearly. :mrgreen:

ConcentratedH2O, OM

ERV wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:The internet's weird. I Googled "Images of a woman anally assaulting a man with a huge bicycle pump while a blimp floats by in the background".

No way! I thought.

Hmmm...

Skepchicks loves vaccines, andimmahappyforya. But letting non-scientists talk about vaccines is how you get posts that insinuate 'colds' (not a real term, technically adenovirus, rhinovirus, coronavirus, RSV, etc), pneumonia (again a catch-all term, could be caused by any number of viruses/bacteria or not from an infectious agent at all), and 'stomach bugs' (yet again, viruses, bacteria, allergic reactions, etc) have any connection whatsoever to annual flu shots.

Having non-scientists say stupid things about vaccines, even if theyre 'pro-vaccine', doesnt make my life easier.

THANKS.
You've probably got that bug that's going round.

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
ERV wrote:

No way! I thought.

Hmmm...

THANKS.
I need to go to the doctor for some antibiotics. Pick up some AirBorn and Zicam on the way home.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

ERV wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
ERV wrote:

No way! I thought.

Hmmm...

THANKS.
I need to go to the doctor for some antibiotics. Pick up some AirBorn and Zicam on the way home.

You don't want to take too many drugs, they'll damage your pancreas and give you cow AIDS.

Please, Abbie, promise me you'll stop taking the antibiotics as soon as your symptoms stop.

Lost Moose

Post by Lost Moose »

ERV wrote: I need to go to the doctor for some antibiotics. Pick up some AirBorn and Zicam on the way home.
Dont forget some

[youtube]f_SwD7RveNE[/youtube]

Saint N.

Post by Saint N. »

oolon** wrote:Not even one attempt to explain what is a clear disparity in the way you approach the taboo of *some* words.
Let me give you two sentences:

1.) "I choose not to use certain words because I don't feel comfortable saying them."

2.) "You are not allowed to say certain words because I don't feel comfortable hearing them."

Can you spot the difference between these two statements? Because if you can't I don't see us having much of a fruitful conversation. Somebody setting themselves as the arbiter of their own diction (drawing the limits and boundaries to what they personally see as appropriate and inappropriate), is quite difference than somebody stipulating to another person a set list of acceptable and unacceptable words on the basis that if this list is not followed by the person one wishes to impose it on, this person is by definition of an indecent character.

Personally, I care more about context in which words are used than words themselves. No word is inherently evil to me, I judge their benignity or maliciousness within the context that they're stated. If I can't derive any context I reserve judgement as a one should when insufficient data is available. You're more than welcome to abstain from using any words you choose to take issue with (for whatever reason you want), likewise no one else is obligated to agree with your reasons, or even consider your reasons as valid.

You keep insisting that there is a level of hypocrisy in that some people here are willing to say 'cunt' more readily than 'nigger'. Again I'll refer you to my two statements above, the first is a personal choice whose restricts bar on no one else but the person who has self-selected to uphold it. The second is an imposition on people that disregards any opposing perspective or nuance that might exists in the given situation. You have been repeatedly told that 'cunt' is not a gendered epithet in the majority of the English speaking world (not anymore than dick or prick are; acceptable words used by both pharyngulites and skepchick in the past), in a way that can't be said for 'nigger' or 'faggot'. You dismiss this as irrelevant, for a reason you have not clearly expressed (if I'm wrong and you have explained it, I'd appreciate being pointed to it). In your attempt to point out a double-standard here (how we selectively censor against certain words just like FtB) you've missed a key feature happening right in front of you. Unlike at FtB, there is still no rule here forbidding any of these words either explicitly or implicitly, evident by the fact that we've said them now several times with no repercussions whatsoever. If you bring them up for shock value, you won't be banned or told you can't say this or that for the sake of not offending sensitive observers. You can probably expect to be ridiculed for it by the other commenters, some people might even stop interacting with you, but there is no imposition on your person to adopt any 'approved' mode of behavior (going back to the difference between the two statements I listed above).

I don't know if I can make this clearer than that, but if you're sincere about wanting clarification on what I just said please do so by actually responding to what I have written and not talking past the points I've made.
oolon** wrote:This place isn't that different from Pharyngula, you pat each other on the back about how 'sceptical' you all are and 'no argument is banned'... We pitters don't porcupine people arguing with us, we respond with the force of our sceptical branes! I think you may be all too used to all the agreement on here.
No argument is banned, since you're comments are still appearing. Whether or not people choose to engage you in an argument is solely up to them. As far this being like pharyngula, when your comments stop coming out of moderation, despite the fact that you have never commented anywhere else on any other atheist site before (and thereby can't be said to have a 'bad' track record), we'll talk. Until then I'll take your comment as nothing more than an attempt to stir up shit for the sake of lulz (which I have no problems with as long as the person doing it isn't pretending to have nobler intentions).

TheMan

Post by TheMan »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
real horrorshow wrote:
ERV wrote:Actually, what Justin did DID cut off Laden/Svan/Watson et ass before they creamed in their panties.

They were having a marvelous time jerking off, and Justin cut off their porn. He removed himself and SCA from being a target.
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I'm of two minds about Justin's resignation. On the one hand, it sucks because he could have done some good with the SCA. On the other hand, it's like he pulled the carpet right under his detractors' feet.
Please, let's not try to spin this. On current evidence Justin's handed them a victory. This will make things worse.
*Sigh*

I'm not trying to spin anything, I'm just voicing my opinion. As I've said, I'll have to think about it a bit more. If a "victory" is for a fringe group to force someone to resign from a post where said someone could do some good work for the "cause", it's a poor victory indeed. If Justin resigned to avoid SCA getting harrassed by those loonies, I think he took the high road.

But these are just my opinions. I'm not spinning anything.

But that's working on the premise he wasn't asked to resign...save face and all that jizz

JAB

Post by JAB »

Saint N. wrote: 8< snip >8
You (oolong) can probably expect to be ridiculed for it by the other commenters, some people might even stop interacting with you, but there is no imposition on your person to adopt any 'approved' mode of behavior (going back to the difference between the two statements I listed above).

8< snip >8

Many of us never saw much point in interacting with him in the first place.

JAB

Post by JAB »

Just wanted to say that I'm disappointed that JV resigned.

The FC bunch relies on a lack of stamina to wear out the opposition by just being repetitive in their lies etc. Eventually others have given up. The pit's value has been that it kept up calling them on their bullshit long enough that others noticed. That's what frustrates PZ and all his FC socks about this place.

I wish that JV and/or the SCA had more stamina.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Git wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:That's a lot of Daves.
Whats up with people not calling their kids Dave anymore? it's a proper, salt-of-the-Earth name. I wanted to call my last kid Dave but my girlfriend wouldn't have any of it. We settled on calling her Scarlett.
At the risk of being cyberstalked, its also the name I answer to in meatspace.
Your name is Scarlett?

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Tigzy wrote:Shit! 'Bollocks!' How could any British person forget the 'bollocks'??

Bollocks - testicles. Synonymous with bravery ("You've got bollocks", "Show some fuckin bollocks") but also for when someone is talking a load of old toot ("PZ/The Prune/Black Zvan etc. etc. is talking bollocks again."), and used as an exclamation for when you wish to refrain from doing something you dislike ("Fly economy class?? Bollocks to that!" - as said in an alternative universe where Rebecca Watson is British). Can also be deployed as a dismissive insult ("Bollocks to yer!") or as a general exclamation to aid catharsis ("Aw BOLLOCKS!")
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Never_Mind ... ex_Pistols

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

oolon** wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:13 am
Is it not easier to accept that some people (Not insignificant number - but usually women) will find the word cunt to be demeaning and degrading in the same way that some people (Not insignificant number - but usually POC and gays so a minority in many places world wide) will find faggot and nigger to be degrading and demeaning? If you don't want to degrade and demean group B by use of mere words then why degrade and demean group A?
You seem to be having an uphill battle trying to defend or advance that position, but I think they are fair questions. As Ophelia put it on RDNet:
Ophelia Benson wrote:Racial pejoratives are taboo, but sexist ones are just fine. Why is that? What does that say about routine contempt for women? Volumes, if you ask me.
But I think that your “demean group A/B” and Ophelia’s “contempt for women” are of a piece and highlight a crucial and quite problematic difference, i.e., between insulting an individual and, supposedly, insulting an entire group. While I think that there’s been far too much insulting going on in general – and one certainly can’t say that Pharyngula has taken the high road in that regard, I think it is not at all justified to say, as Myers and Benson have in effect said in many ways and for many cases, that an insult of one individual is an insult to every member of the group to which that individual happens to belong. And as a succinct expression of that view consider this quote from Benson’s site:
It is my assertion (and that of others) that this usage [of "cunt"] is not only insulting to the direct target, but also is a collateral insult to people in possession of female genitalia.
Which I think is outright horseshit. But I wonder whether anyone has actually managed to prove that that is the case – and I’ve asked for that proof many times which, of course, has not been forthcoming – or given any thought to how that process might work, whether it is valid or not and whether it should or should not apply to all insults.

Along which line, let us consider the case of “cunt” as the paradigm – the model of an insult directed at one individual but which supposedly constitutes “a collateral insult to people in possession of female genitalia” – and let us put on our skeptical thinking caps, corral us some facts and figures and see if the thesis holds any water or not. But right out of the chute for that supposedly paradigmatic case one can see any number of women, particularly here in “The Pit”, who are not at all offended if someone else calls some woman a cunt. So, not categorically true of all “in possession of female genitalia”. Strikes one and two, I would say.

Further, let us consider the analogous case of some man being called a prick or a dickhead. To illustrate, I certainly find it curious, and more than a little amusing, that most men when they hear someone – male or female – call some other man a “prick” their response is likely going to be something along the line of, “Really? What did he do?” and not, “HOW DARE YOU CALL ME AND ALL MY BROS PRICKS??? YOU … YOU … MISANDRIST!!”.

Strike three, I think. But I’ve wondered why it is that some people think that an insult of some individual is an insult to them as well and I think it is a question of identification – maybe all of the mirror-neurons kicking in: person A has insulted person B by highlighting, and scorning, attribute X – genitalia, skin colour, religion, type of clothing, sexual predilections, etc., etc., etc. – of person B. And then person C says, “Fuck. I’ve got attribute X as well so they’re insulting me too! Call out the gendarmes! Circle the fucking wagons! Attack! Ack-Ack!, Ack-Ack!”

While one can reasonably sympathize with those who might be unfairly attacked and insulted, to automatically assume that the insult also applies to oneself and that there is no justification for the implied criticism – the insult – simply on the basis of some putative attribute in common is really not the measured response of skeptics, methinks.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Bugger me. Just catching up with Justin's shitstorm in a D cup. I can understand why Justin has stood down. It deflects attention away from SCA, meaning that they can get on with their mission (which Justin supports). Mind you, a hearty Fuck You, backed by the SCA would have been more satisfying.

Keep up the good work JV.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Found on JREF:

The other day Rebecca banned someone for disagreeing with her about bicycle safety. Her justification was:<br />
The comment was ban worthy because he obviously didn’t bother to read the post before commenting. Simple as that.
Seriously WTF moment. Give a person a little power....

Plus this rather repulsive act against a rape victim by the mods of the supposed "safe space"

Damn, can't go back without sending or cancelling this post. I'll put it in another one once I copy it.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Another one - just read it. I'll post the original URL to the thread (this post - the Watson one is further down) after this if anyone wants to see the original.
Originally Posted by ponderingturtle<br />
Does it work on a phone? I will save it when I get home but until then I really can't.
<br />
<br />
Froze: http://www.freezepage.com/1349379882QYGQTCCPHR

This is a "conversation" about Schrodinger's Rapist and something about being raped is worse than murder idea. It's pathetic.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Here's another stereotype down the drain. Onya Orland - http://www.smh.com.au/sport/boxing/worl ... 27315.html

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Here's the link to the original post, the one that was frozen - you can get a bit more of the conversation from the original post onwards if anyone is interested. These people are ill.

http://forums.randi.org/showpost.php?p=8667190

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Badger3k wrote:Found on JREF:

The other day Rebecca banned someone for disagreeing with her about bicycle safety. Her justification was:
The comment was ban worthy because he obviously didn’t bother to read the post before commenting. Simple as that.
Badger3k,
Just in passing I think the link to that quote of Benson's is out of date; RDNet made some changes recently. The following seems correct:
http://old.richarddawkins.net/articles/ ... ent_428561

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Steersman wrote:
Badger3k wrote:Found on JREF:

The other day Rebecca banned someone for disagreeing with her about bicycle safety. Her justification was:
Badger3k,
Just in passing I think the link to that quote of Benson's is out of date; RDNet made some changes recently. The following seems correct:
http://old.richarddawkins.net/articles/ ... ent_428561

Thanks - since I've been using my ipad I haven't fixed the sig, but I'll take a look this weekend.

welch

Post by welch »

Here, for the language police fuckwits like Oolon and the rest of his pwecious circle-jerk:

http://dissentionisnothate.wordpress.co ... ge-police/

That is what real misogyny and sexism looks like. all polite and civil, probably driving a nice car, in a good suit, takes you to all the nice places.

Too bad you were born cloven instead of crested.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Stupid cunt on Meyers's blog doesn't understand economics. Or human beings. Or life.
I’m… wow, depressed. Sold my Strat last month, the dude who bought it from me has it listed back on Craigslist. So pissed off.
Cunt.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-466711

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

welch wrote:Here, for the language police fuckwits like Oolon and the rest of his pwecious circle-jerk:

http://dissentionisnothate.wordpress.co ... ge-police/

That is what real misogyny and sexism looks like. all polite and civil, probably driving a nice car, in a good suit, takes you to all the nice places.

Too bad you were born cloven instead of crested.
Good article with some horsepower behind it.

But, to quibble as otherwise Paula Kirby will disown me as a fellow grammar-Nazi, I think you mean “dissension” ....

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

Damion has got his own blag now!!!!

http://skepticink.com/backgroundprobability/

Just a few intro posts, and a post supporting Justin, but he casually highlights a handful of things that make OKC Atheists so great.

Keep an eye on him-- Damion is one smart fuck.

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

Dr. Caleb Lack is also blogging at SIN:

SIN: GET ALL THE PEOPLE FROM OKLAHOMA TO BLAG!

Butters

Post by Butters »

ERV wrote:Dr. Caleb Lack is also blogging at SIN:

SIN: GET ALL THE PEOPLE FROM OKLAHOMA TO BLAG!

I like that they changed the name to Skeptic Ink Network from Skeptic Blog, to reduce confusion with skepticblogs.com and that the new name is shortened to SIN.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Boy I sure fucking love the language police arguments. Yep, they're so fucking useful. Glad we're rehashing all that lovely wank.

Meanwhile, in the real world...

I'm quite annoyed JV quit. I was actually close to angry while at work today, which I suppose I have no right to be. JV doesn't owe anyone anything and obviously he's doing the right thing by him. But fuck these people, really. Imagine if a group of religious people had campaigned to stop someone becoming a leader. Would anyone listen? This feels EXACTLY the same.

aweraw

Post by aweraw »

First time posting, long(ish) time lurker.

I'm soundly amused by this whole Dillahunty situation... mainly because to some degree it mirrors my own experience with FTB.

For a (ashamedly) long time I was on board with their whole schtick about misogyny in atheist/skeptic circles. I read pharyngula daily, and occasionally skepchick.

It was around the point where Ophelia decided to withdraw from TAM as a result of the "threats" she'd recieved, that I for the first time decided to comment at FTB. My comment relayed my opinion that in order to defeat the percieved misogyny at these conferences, we needed to get out to them and have a physical presence there, and to loudly denounce any observed objectionable behavior as a group... there by improving the situation... or at least that was what I thought.

The return volley from the baboons was laden (heh) with the standard mix of "cupcake", "concern noted", "porcupines" retorts, but one response in particular immediately shook me from my ignorace of their ingroup/outgroup dynamics... I believe it was maureenbrian, who essentially told me that by saying what I'd said, that either I'd chosen to support those persons who habitually grope women, or that I was one.

It was at that point I began to seriously question their motives as a collective. I was only trying to help, after all. After a short and futile attempt to have someone adderess the fact that I'd been unfairly tarred with the "habitual groper" brush, my desire to visit pharyngula daily was severely diminished, and I began to wonder if this was the very treatment other people where objecting to, and I found myself here... only to discover it is not the hive of scum and villany I had been lead to believe it was. Sometime later learned that maureenbrian's comment accusing me of support of habitual groping had won the last ever molly award.

I think you guys are on the right track... I don't agree with you all unreservedly, but I'll be damned if this isn't a much healthier group dynamic than what exists at FTB/A+.

Lastly, cunt, you're one hilarious mother fucker. For that matter, all you cunts are, IMO, pretty awesome.

/australian

aweraw

Post by aweraw »

Jesus... forgive my sloppy diction/spelling... friday afternoon beers (and accompanying slacking off) at my work place.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

aweraw: welcome to "converts' corner"!

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Australian? I had thought that most Australians were naturally impervious to radfem crazy...

aweraw

Post by aweraw »

One more point on the Dillhunty thing - they're accusing him of sock puppetry. They don't know what it mean obviously.

Sock puppeting is when you create accounts to reply to and support your own arguments. He didn't do that, so it's not sock puppetry, IMO

aweraw

Post by aweraw »

rayshul wrote:Australian? I had thought that most Australians were naturally impervious to radfem crazy...
From hippy lineage... I can't help it. *sigh*

TheMan

Post by TheMan »

aweraw wrote:Jesus... forgive my sloppy diction/spelling... friday afternoon beers (and accompanying slacking off) at my work place.

Bored at work too...Sydney... though a nice southerly is coming in.

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

rayshul wrote:Australian? I had thought that most Australians were naturally impervious to radfem crazy...
Only the sick cunts and mad cunts are impervious. Unfortunately, there are still academics with strong feminist leanings which do their fair sure of telling male DV survivors and abused boys to shut it. Even some of the radfem hub members were australian....

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

I think its time for a slymepit splinter group. Mad cunt+

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

aweraw wrote: snip

..and I began to wonder if this was the very treatment other people where objecting to, and I found myself here...
Abso-bloody-leutly
aweraw wrote:

only to discover it is not the hive of scum and villany I had been lead to believe it was.
Funny, that.
aweraw wrote:
... I don't agree with you all unreservedly ...
It'd be bloody disappointing if you did.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

TheMan wrote:
aweraw wrote:Jesus... forgive my sloppy diction/spelling... friday afternoon beers (and accompanying slacking off) at my work place.

Bored at work too...Sydney... though a nice southerly is coming in.
Busy at work in beautiful hot Brisbane, drinking a Little Creatures Pale Ale brought around by our beer fairy.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

DownThunder wrote:
Only the sick cunts and mad cunts are impervious. Unfortunately, there are still academics with strong feminist leanings which do their fair sure of telling male DV survivors and abused boys to shut it. Even some of the radfem hub members were australian....
Germaine Greer, anyone?

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Michael K Gray wrote:
DownThunder wrote:
Germaine Greer, anyone?
Did I hear you say "Beer anyone?" That'd be germane to this conversation.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

DownThunder wrote:I think its time for a slymepit splinter group. Mad cunt+
Or, for the flashers: Mad Macs+

(Glorious Coopers' Pale Ale is going down my neck-hole at this very moment)

Trophy

Post by Trophy »

Saint N. wrote:The part he is missing (either because he refuses to or can't figure it out) is that there is no reason to believe that the mod fixed the problem for any other reason than that he was talking to Matt Dillahunty. If he was just some anonymous, first time commenter voicing a legit concern, the conversation could have gone very differently.
Exactly. This is the mormom moment, when that guy Harris lost the original translation of the plates and Joseph Smith had to make up another translation that somehow mormons believe proves Joseph Smith was right. Just like that, anyone who continues to believe the A+ propaganda is a True Believer. They would like to believe that the situation with Matt proves that A+ admins are fair and that if there are any problems, the admins would fix it. They would like to believe that they are good people who do not turn away 'allies' and they would like to believe that the admins are reasonable people who listen to arguments. And we all know it is bullshit and it proves the exact opposite. We all know they tried to fix the problem because someone important (and one of their own) got caught in their web of bullshit. They do not care for ordinary people.

Saint N.

Post by Saint N. »

aweraw wrote:I think you guys are on the right track... I don't agree with you all unreservedly, but I'll be damned if this isn't a much healthier group dynamic than what exists at FTB/A+.
Welcome, its great when more lurkers start commenting. It helps keep the air fresh around here. I think the lack of moderation is the best attribute of the Pit. Yeah, people (including me) will occasionally say things that you'll disagree with, but it's hard to complain about content in a place that doesn't bother to police its content. Anyway, cheers.
aweraw wrote:Sock puppeting is when you create accounts to reply to and support your own arguments. He didn't do that, so it's not sock puppetry, IMO
Just like people quoting Steffy's own words from her public blog isn't cyberstalking. And Abbie saying she wants to debate Greta isn't threatening. And T-shirts stating "I'm not a Skepchick. I'm a Skeptic" isn't harassment. FTB/A+ operate under a very loose and flexible set of terms. I guess that's what Ophelia calls parallel logic (though I still don't have a fuck of a clue what she actually meant by that, and I doubt she does either).

disumbrationist

Post by disumbrationist »

Michael K Gray wrote: Germaine Greer, anyone?
Here's her on 'cunt.'
[youtube]GDJutaFuVD0[/youtube]
[youtube]DN0oGWNzNxo[/youtube]