Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
Trophy

Re: IT'S INTERNATIONAL CUNT KICK DAY

Post by Trophy »

franc wrote:http://internationalcuntkickday.tk/

Calloo callay, it's cunt kick day...

Ophelia, I spit on your dried wheat sexless cunt. I ejaculate on your dried raisin ovaries. Zwan, your beached whale cunt is not even erotic to japanese. McCrate - even bestialists erections would wither. Fuck you cunts. Fuck you. Hell is too nice a place.
Someone is fucking obsessed. Hahaha, go check your mental health franc. Seriously. Of course, unless there was humor in the above in which case nevermind.

justinvacula

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by justinvacula »

Reap wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
LMU wrote:
It makes me wonder how he'd sound on Reap's podcast. Would he spend the whole time trying to get Reap to start shouting racist slurs?
Reap has extended an invitation to Oolon on his podcast. It would be nice and interesting to hear this.

Yes I have and the offer still stands. In fact I have always made it clear anyone I talk about or have a dispute with is welcome to come on my show and clear up any misconceptions or to tell me what they think of me directly. I have a certain amount of respect for anyone who will do that no matter what it is they have to say.
Too bad Ophelia won't come on...or at least she won't come on my show despite the regular complaints from her :)

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

From the CSICon website:
6:30—9:00 PM
Skeptics’ Guide to the Universe Dinner $95 Proceeds to SGU (Not included in Meal Plan Ticket)
See instead: Gravy Train tickets

Stretchycheese

Post by Stretchycheese »

Pinker wrote:Like a few others here, I used to be a fan of Pz Myers. I even met him once. But he has really gone off the deep end, and so have the regular posters
Same thoughts here exactly. I met him him once and even had him sign my copy of the "God Delusion". I no longer follow his blog and had I known he would turn into a demagogue determined to lambast anyone who doesn't toe the line on radical feminist dogma, I never would have asked for his signature.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Michael K Gray wrote:
Gumby wrote:...Well, I've taken up enough of your time, dear sister. Please take this copy of "The Way of the AtheismPlus Master" and in it find redemption. God bless you!
Now, come on.
How the fuck did you manage to get a pre-release copy of PZed's long awaited novel?
It's not from PZ's book, it's a Bible with the word "sin" crossed out and "misogyny" written in crayon! Found it in a trailer park in Minnesota.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Lsuoma wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:AND PLEASE: can we get over our fear of providing extra pennies to these folks, and remove the anonymous redirection of links, so that links to specific comments actually work?
I agree. It breaks all links that go to a specific part of a page.
OK, I'll fix later today. But be aware that it's possible to take action based on the referrer header, so the baboollies could in theory fuck with you by blocking, &c. if they choose...

Also, I'll look into proving local Amazon links...
Well, maybe we should keep it then. PZ knows that traffic from specific sites can be redirected, since they sometimes do it to him when he fucks with polls. I wouldn't put it past him to do that to us. I saw him once tell his commentors to copy and paste the url in, instead of clicking it, to get around the redirects.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Stretchycheese wrote:
Pinker wrote:Like a few others here, I used to be a fan of Pz Myers. I even met him once. But he has really gone off the deep end, and so have the regular posters
Same thoughts here exactly. I met him him once and even had him sign my copy of the "God Delusion". I no longer follow his blog and had I known he would turn into a demagogue determined to lambast anyone who doesn't toe the line on radical feminist dogma, I never would have asked for his signature.
Having PZ sign a copy of the "God Delusion" is like having Pauly Shore sign the autobiography of Sir Alec Guinness.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Gumby wrote:There is much truth to this statement, at least for me. It's amazing how much indoctrination goes on at Freethoughtblogs. Escape is not instantaneous, but one does scale that wall rather quickly.
It is not at all "amazing" to those who have been observing this phenomenon from the outside.
As Franc may attest, there are those (apparently) rare humans¹ who have never fallen for parasitic indoctrination, and who cannot identify with your specific plight.
(To be BRUTALLY honest, we wonder why the fuck you fell for this/these transparently obvious scam/s in the first place.)

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Trophy wrote:

Ophelia, I spit on your dried wheat sexless cunt. I ejaculate on your dried raisin ovaries. Zwan, your beached whale cunt is not even erotic to japanese. McCrate - even bestialists erections would wither. Fuck you cunts. Fuck you. Hell is too nice a place.
Someone is fucking obsessed. Hahaha, go check your mental health franc. Seriously. Of course, unless there was humor in the above in which case nevermind.
I know it may sound baboolish (go read Hoggleism 101!), but you have to know Franc and his MO. Very distasteful, and all the more appropriate in some cases.

I will not answer to those other comments that make me blush with (prabably false) modesty about my music. A general "thank you" will do, I hope.

codelette

Post by codelette »

BarnOwl wrote:From the CSICon website:
Skeptics’ Guide to the Universe Dinner $95 Proceeds to SGU (Not included in Meal Plan Ticket)
Saw that Harriet Hall and Sara Mayhew are going to speak, should we expect more rage tears from Roth?

:popcorn:

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

justinvacula wrote:Too bad Ophelia won't come on...or at least she won't come on my show despite the regular complaints from her :)
Have you ever considered that she may have an embarrassing speech defect?

Trophy

Post by Trophy »

Stretchycheese wrote:
You know what, I can somehow understand them, at least partially. Let me quote what Crommunist wrote recently:
...I also encountered people who relied on a seemingly coded language. They would begin an argument on seemingly-innocuous grounds where there would be broad agreement from most reasonable people, and then through a series of ever-widening logical holes would steer the conversation towards their real position – that the victims of racism deserved what they got for one or more of a variety of reasons: laziness, cultural deficiency, an entitlement ethos, biological inferiority, lack of ‘personal responsibility’… again, a long list.

Perhaps most frustrating were the people who claimed to be, or otherwise seemed to be, allies in the struggle against racism who nevertheless made statements reminiscent of those in the first two groups. In their own frustration and difficulty accepting the realities of racism, a situation further coloured by the fact that they themselves had never needed to confront racism in a personal way, they fell into the same cognitive traps that made the race-baiting-accusers and the coded-linguists so galling. It was based on the tacit acceptance of a handful of unwarranted assumptions about members of minority groups who talk about race, or about the groups themselves.

And so, over a number of years and bruised friendships and self-recriminations over al of the racist statements I let slide because I was “picking my battles”, my skill at detecting racist sentiments grew. I knew, within a couple of sentences, where a coded or dismissive line of reasoning was going – often before the speaker hirself knew that there was any racial component to hir speech. I could rattle off refutations and dig my heels in on things that seemed innocent enough, but that I knew were the first baby-steps toward victim blaming and racial attack. I began to see the racial elements of things that even I hadn’t considered relevant before. It was like a goddamn Spidey sense.
(my bold).

The thing is, I understand how this works. It's the fucking awesome pattern matching abilities of the brain: if you encounter a certain racist pattern of arguments over and over again, then the next time someone begins an argument that matches that pattern, the alarms in your brain go off and you will get a sense, a sixth "spidey feeling", that you know where this argument is going. But of course, submitting yourself to the mercy of the pattern matching capabilities of your brain is a very unskeptical way to go. The problem becomes worse when you engage in online discussions where emotional cues get lost. And I think these are partially responsible for the meltdown of the PZ and the gang: Their pattern matching system is overloaded, they see sexism everywhere; they need it tune down the false positives.

No one is denying that there are real assholes, sexists, and misogynists out there. The question is, are you using reason and evidence to detect them or your "sixth sense"? When someone says something that you think it disagrees with your position, do you assume a certain attitude, race, gender and etc. is associated with them or do you first ask for clarifications?

decius

Post by decius »

Stretchycheese wrote:
That's like having Lady Gaga sign a copy of LaTraviata.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Michael K Gray wrote: (To be BRUTALLY honest, we wonder why the fuck you fell for this/these transparently obvious scam/s in the first place.)
I wish I could answer that question. I really do. It probably has its roots in the same reasons I used to believe that by telepathically communicating with a Jewish zombie, I could gain immortality. To be fair to myself though, I was a fan of PZ's for years before the radfem religious revival took place on FTB. I loved his dissection of creationist nonsense and loved the way the commentariat would ruthlessly skewer fundies who would swagger in armed with their latest copy-paste from AnswersInGenesis. And also to be fair to myself, the minute I saw Elevatorgate and the reaction to Dawkins' "Dear Muslima" post was the minute I started wondering "Are these people really who I want to be hanging out with? So don't be too rough on me.

TL;DR:

PZ turned me into a newt!
I got better...

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Gumby wrote:So don't be too rough on me.
Red rag to a Bullshitter!

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Dried wheat sexless cunt. Greatest insult ever. My life is complete.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Michael K Gray wrote:
justinvacula wrote:Too bad Ophelia won't come on...or at least she won't come on my show despite the regular complaints from her :)
Have you ever considered that she may have an embarrassing speech defect?
I saw her speak on a panel video somewhere, and her speech defect is the words she uses, in other words, the things she says. :lol:

papillon

Post by papillon »

Gumby wrote:..... the minute I saw Elevatorgate and the reaction to Dawkins' "Dear Muslima" post was the minute I started wondering "Are these people really who I want to be hanging out with?....
For what it's worth, I always thought 'Dear Muslima' was a perfectly valid and proportional response.
Dawkins' letter was as extreme as Bex's compaint was trivial.

JackRayner
Location: In the basement of the University of Minnesota Morris

Re: "Confronting" Becca

Post by JackRayner »

Mykeru wrote: So, is the the guy they DMCA the guy who apparently tweeted something rape-y? Hard to know what that was as Rebecca's definition of confrontational, as we see above, is creative. Any screen caps of that tweet? Is this the guy they got fired?

I'm interested in the sequence because I suspect that, based on their standard operating procedure:

The DMCAing preceded the tweet in question. That is, he was doxed for his criticism of Rebecca Watson. A later paranoid interpretation of a tweet became the post hoc rationale. Although they claim he was fired for his tweet, more likely he was fired because Rebecca and her friends (she admits to pissing off tweeters, banning them and letting her minions do the work) did a Justin Vacula on him.

If someone can give me a sense of what was said when by whom, and explain it to me like I'm an idiot, it would be appreciated.
No such thing happened. @ElevatorGate is, at worst, the kind of troll that shares absolutely every stupid thing that the skepchics and their ilk post onto twitter, blogs, or say in videos/podcasts. For example, he likes to retweet people that thank Sulky Amy after they buy her grade school arts & crafts projects. I know a lot of people aren't fond of him, but he's absolutely harmless....unless you're the kind of person that hates having your stupidity mocked.

Git

Post by Git »

Hello again new peeps.

And I think I can't be the only one to notice all the wimmin joining? ( :p )

Maybe because here they are treated as y'know people and not as perceptual victims?

Oh and new people (of all genders and none), please can we have more cat avatars?

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

papillon wrote:
Gumby wrote:..... the minute I saw Elevatorgate and the reaction to Dawkins' "Dear Muslima" post was the minute I started wondering "Are these people really who I want to be hanging out with?....
For what it's worth, I always thought 'Dear Muslima' was a perfectly valid and proportional response.
Yeah, I was pretty well shocked at the foaming-at-the-mouth fury that erupted after that comment, which to me was a mild rebuke delivered in Dawkins' inimitable style, reminding everyone that there are far worse atrocities aimed at women than being harmlessly and clumsily hit upon in an elevator.

An incident which, by the way, didn't even happen as far as I'm concerned. ElevatorGuy is a false construct made up to support Beccy's agenda. All this time, and ElevatorGuy has never been doxed by the doxing-crazy FTB/Skepchick crowd? Nope, it never happened.

JackRayner

Post by JackRayner »

JackRayner wrote:
Mykeru wrote: So, is the the guy they DMCA the guy who apparently tweeted something rape-y? Hard to know what that was as Rebecca's definition of confrontational, as we see above, is creative. Any screen caps of that tweet? Is this the guy they got fired?

I'm interested in the sequence because I suspect that, based on their standard operating procedure:

The DMCAing preceded the tweet in question. That is, he was doxed for his criticism of Rebecca Watson. A later paranoid interpretation of a tweet became the post hoc rationale. Although they claim he was fired for his tweet, more likely he was fired because Rebecca and her friends (she admits to pissing off tweeters, banning them and letting her minions do the work) did a Justin Vacula on him.

If someone can give me a sense of what was said when by whom, and explain it to me like I'm an idiot, it would be appreciated.
No such thing happened. @ElevatorGate is, at worst, the kind of troll that shares absolutely every stupid thing that the skepchics and their ilk post onto twitter, blogs, or say in videos/podcasts. For example, he likes to retweet people that thank Sulky Amy after they buy her grade school arts & crafts projects. I know a lot of people aren't fond of him, but he's absolutely harmless....unless you're the kind of person that hates having your stupidity mocked.
Posting to specify that, in addition to not having posted something rapey, they also haven't attempted to get him fired from any job...that I'm aware.

I think the reason they started revealing his real name was as a sort of warning to get him to back off. Hasn't worked. And when Sulky Amy's proxy went and start dropping his name everywhere, he carried on posting as if it never happened as a way of getting under their skin...

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

JackRayner wrote: No such thing happened. @ElevatorGate is, at worst, the kind of troll that shares absolutely every stupid thing that the skepchics and their ilk post onto twitter, blogs, or say in videos/podcasts. For example, he likes to retweet people that thank Sulky Amy after they buy her grade school arts & crafts projects. I know a lot of people aren't fond of him, but he's absolutely harmless....unless you're the kind of person that hates having your stupidity mocked.
To be honest, I follow @ElevatorGate on twatter for the occasional useful tidbit, but those tidbits are rare. I'm getting kind of sick of him and will likely unfollow his account. He's got the stink of obsession on him, plus my eyes start rolling every time I read his "valiant hero" nonsense.

codelette

Post by codelette »

Git wrote:Hello again new peeps.

Maybe because here they are treated as y'know people and not as perceptual victims?

Oh and new people (of all genders and none), please can we have more cat avatars?
The thing is that all the wimmin here are suffering from Stockholm Syndrome. I learn that from the Lousy C. during MalloryGate (cause, a man telling a woman about her own experiences is offensive; unless you are one of the FC5 wise men).

real horrorshow

Post by real horrorshow »

Al Stefanelli wrote:It's obviously the hat. I wasn't aware I was wearing my racist hat. I thought it was my homophobic hat, which I intended to wear, as it matches well with my anti-woman plastic glasses.
Are you referring to this baboonism?:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8333/8082 ... 7c09a9.jpg
Here we have a self-confessed fat sack of crap; enslaved to the half-wit's uniform of jeans-n-t-shirt; who can't tell a fedora from a panama and has the damned effrontery to attack Al's style!

Because that's what it is karpad. "[R]efusing to play the fashion game,..insisting that your individual judgment of what looks good and cool somehow supersedes the judgment of the rest of society." That is exactly why style trumps mere fashion. Al has it, you - by your own feeble admission - do not.

In the meantime, karpad, if you have anything else in your head that "isn’t really a fully formed thought" or otherwise find you "cannot put [your] finger on precisely what [something] says", exercise your democratic right to shut the fuck up.

Because, do you know what's really going on karpad? Al, doesn't look like your tribe, he doesn't think like your tribe. So, in your primitive baboon way, you have placed him in an out-group. Your irrational, primitive instinct is to attack. “[E]veryone who wears a fedora is a complete douchebag.” This is the foundation of all bigotry and you're too stupid to look in the mirror and see it.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

codelette wrote:
Git wrote:Hello again new peeps.

The thing is that all the wimmin here are suffering from Stockholm Syndrome. I learn that from the Lousy C. during MalloryGate (cause, a man telling a woman about her own experiences is offensive; unless you are one of the FC5 wise men).
Actually all the women here are Chill Girls, who post here because they desperately seek attention and approval from men. Get it right! :)

acathode

Post by acathode »

Pitchguest wrote:
somedumbguy wrote:Anyway, I am also somewhat astonished that Al leaves pretty quietly, no great big scene, and PZ sends him off by calling him a racist.
He did what?

The fuck, he actually did.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... 12/for-al/
The comment section is hilarious, in a few posts it descends down the rabbit hole when they discuss how everyone who wears a fedora-hat are misogynistic douche-bags.
I also like this part:
DPB wrote:Khantron: From my understanding Al whined that people kept telling him to apologize for his sex and his race (without providing any examples of this actually happening) so he’s leaving FTB so he will no longer be victimized by feminists.
karpad wrote:[...] I hesitate to say “everyone who wears a fedora is a complete douchebag.” I’m sure someone could find a counter example, if they looked hard enough. [...]
karpad wrote:Just saying. I know in person 5 people who regularly wear fedoras. Like all the time. All are white males. They are all varying degrees of misogynist. 3 of them are Ron Paul supporters. [...]
Awfully nice of him to provide an example in the same very thread... also try replacing "fedora" with "big skirts", "white males" with "gypsie women", and "misogynist" with "thieves", karpad TOTALY wouldn't sound like a racist
AndrewV69 wrote:And not just in Sweden either my man.
Hey! I thought we had that discussion already! :p
Butters wrote:This is a small conference that happens in Orange County, California every year. The person who started it and works hard to put it together was very excited to get PZ Myers and Greta Christina as speakers in 2013. (I don't think he follows all the drama)
http://freethoughtalliance.org/fta/annu ... /speakers/

He just added Matt Dillahunty today.
I wonder how this will work out? This is a small conference, so not as easy to avoid people.
Nothing will happen, Matt is still bffs with Myers and Greta, his beef is with the A+ mods, he still completely support A+ and what it stands for, etc. He's just not into the A+ forum.

codelette

Post by codelette »

My favorite descriptor is "sister punisher". I believe the first time I read it was from Melody Hensley and I really wish she'll tell that to a black woman from the hood. face to face.

Popcorn worthy situation. :lol:

JackRayner

Post by JackRayner »

codelette wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:Stephie Zvan just puts fingers to keyboard and vomit flies out: http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... -activism/

*Everything* put out on their forum and what they spout on Twitter regarding A+theism is nothing but feminism. Does Zvan even use that raisin-excuse for a brain?
I read the title and was like "naw, motherfucker didn't go there...". Then I read this:
It took me a while, but I finally figured out what was so familiar about it. It’s the one-drop rule rewritten for our situation.
This white bitch is really conflating her middle class, white little club non-issues with the motherfucking one-drop rule? Why don't you go ahead and say next time that woman is the nigger of the world?
I had no idea what "one-drop rule" was, so I looked it up. Interesting.

It reminds me of a funny story: When I enlisted they had a section for race and a section for ethnicity. Since my father would have been considered a "White Hispanic", [got my browness from my mother's side of the family] it was applied to me as well. I'm a little lighter toned than my little South Park avatar, but I can't imagine that a single person would look at me and think "White Hispanic". :think:

real horrorshow

AnonymousCowherd wrote:
real horrorshow wrote:
Quoth the Zeffalin:

*I'm glad to have been reminded of this term. Henceforth FTB shall be The Chyme Pit to me!
We're going to need our own dictionary pretty soon, and with entries like that I think it would outsell PZ's red-shifted opuscule.
I'm rather more pleased with "Tough buns Zeffalump!" myself.

We do have a glossary on the wiki, which is in need of some attention. I'm not sure I'd clutter it up with stuff like mine above though. Not unless and until they gain some general currency.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

BarnOwl wrote:From the CSICon website:
In years past they've done a raffle to appear on the podcast once, and they have made thousands of dollars off it. When I heard that some guy paid a couple grand for the privilege of doing a podcast with them I almost ran off the road. Despite Watson, I do like the podcast, but no way in hell would I pay to be on any podcast, and while I like some and support them...that's way too much.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

real horrorshow wrote:
Al Stefanelli wrote:It's obviously the hat. I wasn't aware I was wearing my racist hat. I thought it was my homophobic hat, which I intended to wear, as it matches well with my anti-woman plastic glasses.
Here we have a self-confessed fat sack of crap; enslaved to the half-wit's uniform of jeans-n-t-shirt; who can't tell a fedora from a panama and has the damned effrontery to attack Al's style!

Because that's what it is karpad. "[R]efusing to play the fashion game,..insisting that your individual judgment of what looks good and cool somehow supersedes the judgment of the rest of society." That is exactly why style trumps mere fashion. Al has it, you - by your own feeble admission - do not.

In the meantime, karpad, if you have anything else in your head that "isn’t really a fully formed thought" or otherwise find you "cannot put [your] finger on precisely what [something] says", exercise your democratic right to shut the fuck up.

Because, do you know what's really going on karpad? Al, doesn't look like your tribe, he doesn't think like your tribe. So, in your primitive baboon way, you have placed him in an out-group. Your irrational, primitive instinct is to attack. “[E]veryone who wears a fedora is a complete douchebag.” This is the foundation of all bigotry and you're too stupid to look in the mirror and see it.
The FTBers once attacked Gurdur's penchant for hat-wearing as well, and mocked him by saying something along the lines of "Does he really think that shitty hat makes him look like a snappy dresser?" These people have nothing. Nothing.

Steve Schuler

Post by Steve Schuler »

Trophy wrote:No one is denying that there are real assholes, sexists, and misogynists out there. The question is, are you using reason and evidence to detect them or your "sixth sense"? When someone says something that you think it disagrees with your position, do you assume a certain attitude, race, gender and etc. is associated with them or do you first ask for clarifications?

Hey There, Trophy!

I'm coming out of lurk mode for the first time to pitch in here.

Having participated a bit in the comments thread of the article by Crommunist that you cited in your comment. My initial comment which was a criticism of a comment made by Improbable Joe (brown-nosing syncophant extraordinaire) and a really pleasant, but all to brief (joke), exchange with Stephanie Zvan led to a couple of comments exchanged between Crommunist and myself. It did not go all that well, but my tiff with Joe and Steph had pretty much laid the groundwork that made that inevitable. I actually like Ian (The Crommunist) and think that he is a pretty smart guy who means well, but is a bit too attached to 'Identity Political Theory' paradigms and confined within a pretty narrow base of personal experience for his own good, like I would know what would be better for 'his own good'. :-) I probably will comment on his blog in the future, see how it goes, and take it from there.

Anyhow, having lived in Hawaii as a white-boy for a couple of years I can attest to a couple of things: Yes, anti-white racism can be a significant problem (if you're white) in parts of America, and sometimes all it takes is a look to communicate utter racial contempt. "Stink-Eye" is the colloquial expression used in Hawaii for this form of non-verbal communication, which is a pretty potent hateful glare that requires no verbal conversation to be understood. So, in a sense I think that Ian is not entirely wrong about 'spidey sense', although I think that in the way he was using it allowed for folks to rationalize a rush to judgement when that might not be warranted.

Complex thing, this life that is...

codelette

Post by codelette »

JackRayner wrote:
codelette wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:Stephie Zvan just puts fingers to keyboard and vomit flies out: http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... -activism/

*Everything* put out on their forum and what they spout on Twitter regarding A+theism is nothing but feminism. Does Zvan even use that raisin-excuse for a brain?
I read the title and was like "naw, motherfucker didn't go there...". Then I read this:
It took me a while, but I finally figured out what was so familiar about it. It’s the one-drop rule rewritten for our situation.
This white bitch is really conflating her middle class, white little club non-issues with the motherfucking one-drop rule? Why don't you go ahead and say next time that woman is the nigger of the world?
I had no idea what "one-drop rule" was, so I looked it up. Interesting.

It reminds me of a funny story: When I enlisted they had a section for race and a section for ethnicity. Since my father would have been considered a "White Hispanic", [got my browness from my mother's side of the family] it was applied to me as well. I'm a little lighter toned than my little South Park avatar, but I can't imagine that a single person would look at me and think "White Hispanic". :think:
Same here, in my case my dad's side is black and my mom's brown/olive skin. My brother looks like Tupac Shakur (skin color and all), he is jail now. I saw his arrest papers. He was identified as "white Hispanic". :lol:

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Gumby wrote:
Actually all the women here are Chill Girls, who post here because they desperately seek attention and approval from men. Get it right! :)
Yeah, and if any of the CGs want to be cool (nay, ultra cool) by fucking the supermod (me!) just shout it out right here in the forum: no need to be coy and use a PM...

Steve Schuler

Post by Steve Schuler »

For anyone who needs to fuel their paranoia or just would like a good laugh watching Improbale Joe and Stephanie in action (including Steph flexing her political muscle threatening to turn me into my ISP for God only knows what) go to:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/crommunist/ ... the-doubt/

I enter the conversation at comment 11.

(Now I'm doing THIS. Maybe I have a bit of True Pitter potential in me after all...)

welch

Post by welch »

AnonymousCowherd wrote:
real horrorshow wrote: Poor agapornis is taking a right slapping over there, with our old pal LeftSidePositive going for some kind of Chyme Pit* record post length. It's a re-run of a familiar theme: "Boo-hoo, people are being big meanies by insisting the word atheism means what it actually means, instead of all the other shit we want to hang off it."

Tough buns Zeffalump!"Disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings." That's it. You want to go wibbling on about feminism? Well there's already a word for that. It's 'feminism'. Aren't dictionaries great?

Quoth the Zeffalin:

*I'm glad to have been reminded of this term. Henceforth FTB shall be The Chyme Pit to me!
We're going to need our own dictionary pretty soon, and with entries like that I think it would outsell PZ's red-shifted opuscule.
OMG LEFTSIDEPOSITIVE IS DDOSING THEM!!!!

real horrorshow

Gumby wrote:The FTBers once attacked Gurdur's penchant for hat-wearing as well, and mocked him by saying something along the lines of "Does he really think that shitty hat makes him look like a snappy dresser?" These people have nothing. Nothing.
I own three Fedoras and a Panama (a real one, from Equador*), so obviously I'm some kind of uber-fascist! I imagine the Baboon chapeau shop to be stocked with this sort of thing:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8334/8083 ... 42ca_q.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8330/8083 ... 8354_q.jpg

*That'll fox the 'boons

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Gumby wrote:Having PZ sign a copy of the "God Delusion" is like having Pauly Shore sign the autobiography of Sir Alec Guinness.
I just spit out coffee everywhere laughing over this :D

welch

Post by welch »

Michael K Gray wrote:
mutleyeng wrote:So to drag it slightly back on topic, why the fuck does every skeptic convention have to feature George Hrab or Marian Call, or tatty student art of Amy whateverthefuckhernameis, to fly the flag of Skeptics in the Arts when there is real flippin talent out there.
The answer is: it does not have to be that way.
Hrab? A lucky dumb-fuck cretin know-nothing suit-wearing-idiot who happens to have briefly taken the fancy of Beccy.
Nothing more than that.
But: good luck to him having been able to spin the golden thread for as long as he has been able. Hope you got a good pension plan, Georgy-boy.
Youse gunna sink with FfTB, Skepchunk, A+Thesism, SGU, and the rest of the willing passengers on the good ship SS Titanic.
Strike up the bland.
Abide with anyone but me.
I saw hrab in a session at dragoncon. He gave some good tips on podcasting that helped me out, so if nothing else, he's a helpful sort. Humorous too.

welch

Post by welch »

Al Stefanelli wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:
somedumbguy wrote:Anyway, I am also somewhat astonished that Al leaves pretty quietly, no great big scene, and PZ sends him off by calling him a racist.
He did what?

The fuck, he actually did.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... 12/for-al/
5 minutes later, PZ posted his next topic: White and delightsome (a Brian Keith Dalton video about racism inherent in Mormonism), saying it should be watched before the debate.

I'm now going to waste 10 seconds considering why he put those 2 in juxtaposition: Shame/repentance/coverup for the thread about Al, felt a need to get back in with racism-sensitive A+'ers? Had some grand plan all along to post them back-to-back? The pair of topics actually is intended to take a poke at Al's Mormon friends, or at Al for having Mormon friends? (If applicable.) Was clueless about any possible connection?

'Kay, that's it. I'm done wondering about that.
It's obviously the hat. I wasn't aware I was wearing my racist hat. I thought it was my homophobic hat, which I intended to wear, as it matches well with my anti-woman plastic glasses. Apparently I got the colors of the band confused. Such is how it goes with getting older.

Thank heavens I didn't accidentally don my rapist hat, but after checking, I am happy to report it's stored safely in a box where it may or may not exist.

Here's a picture of me wearing my "civil rights activist" headgear, which obviously means that I love everybody:
Hopefully, this will remove all suspicions that I hate all redneck cowboys:
Oh, I forgot, I'm a cripple, so I figured I'd throw this in:
Cheers...
OMG, I have to ask, since you appear to own one: have you ever hit anyone over the head with a banjo? Because el kabonnging someone with a banjo just seems to be awesome.

welch

Post by welch »

Trophy wrote:
Stretchycheese wrote:
You know what, I can somehow understand them, at least partially. Let me quote what Crommunist wrote recently:
...I also encountered people who relied on a seemingly coded language. They would begin an argument on seemingly-innocuous grounds where there would be broad agreement from most reasonable people, and then through a series of ever-widening logical holes would steer the conversation towards their real position – that the victims of racism deserved what they got for one or more of a variety of reasons: laziness, cultural deficiency, an entitlement ethos, biological inferiority, lack of ‘personal responsibility’… again, a long list.

Perhaps most frustrating were the people who claimed to be, or otherwise seemed to be, allies in the struggle against racism who nevertheless made statements reminiscent of those in the first two groups. In their own frustration and difficulty accepting the realities of racism, a situation further coloured by the fact that they themselves had never needed to confront racism in a personal way, they fell into the same cognitive traps that made the race-baiting-accusers and the coded-linguists so galling. It was based on the tacit acceptance of a handful of unwarranted assumptions about members of minority groups who talk about race, or about the groups themselves.

And so, over a number of years and bruised friendships and self-recriminations over al of the racist statements I let slide because I was “picking my battles”, my skill at detecting racist sentiments grew. I knew, within a couple of sentences, where a coded or dismissive line of reasoning was going – often before the speaker hirself knew that there was any racial component to hir speech. I could rattle off refutations and dig my heels in on things that seemed innocent enough, but that I knew were the first baby-steps toward victim blaming and racial attack. I began to see the racial elements of things that even I hadn’t considered relevant before. It was like a goddamn Spidey sense.
(my bold).

The thing is, I understand how this works. It's the fucking awesome pattern matching abilities of the brain: if you encounter a certain racist pattern of arguments over and over again, then the next time someone begins an argument that matches that pattern, the alarms in your brain go off and you will get a sense, a sixth "spidey feeling", that you know where this argument is going. But of course, submitting yourself to the mercy of the pattern matching capabilities of your brain is a very unskeptical way to go. The problem becomes worse when you engage in online discussions where emotional cues get lost. And I think these are partially responsible for the meltdown of the PZ and the gang: Their pattern matching system is overloaded, they see sexism everywhere; they need it tune down the false positives.

No one is denying that there are real assholes, sexists, and misogynists out there. The question is, are you using reason and evidence to detect them or your "sixth sense"? When someone says something that you think it disagrees with your position, do you assume a certain attitude, race, gender and etc. is associated with them or do you first ask for clarifications?

When your only tool is a hammer, all problems become nails.

welch

Post by welch »

real horrorshow wrote:

My response to the "everyone who wears a fedora is a douchebag" idiocy: Indiana Jones

disumbrationist

Leadership

Post by disumbrationist »

I got a chance to hear Richard Dawkins speak last tuesday, and during the talk something crystallized in my mind: there is probably no one in the atheist movement who could replace him. The talk was held in a smaller room, but the room was completely full: people standing, sitting on the aisles. His talk was called 'Darwin's 5 Bridges,' in which he listed the steps along the path of evolutionary biology as a series of bridges that some thinkers crossed while others didn't. It's a talk he has apparently given before elsewhere.
The interesting thing is the response he gets. I recognized at least 5 members of the National Academy of Sciences there, one of whom was sitting on the floor during the whole talk. Jared Diamond was among them.
Dawkins was, of course, asked the inevitable questions:

why do people reject evolutionary biology? His answer: religion.
Aren't you a little too mean? His answer: I'm not any meaner than your average restaurant critic, and probably nicer.

The respect he commands - respect he has earned - is a valuable asset to the atheist movement. Anyone who says they "aren't going to buy his books, or recommend them to others" is depriving herself of valuable tools. There is certainly no one in Atheism+ or Freethought Blogs who could get a response like he did, who lectures as well, and has the intellectual chops he does.

An interesting aside: during the Q&A, he answered questions from 4 people - who happened to be all men. Then he said "They've all been men so far, so lets have a woman this time..." and chose a woman for the last question.
He's the most insidious kind of misogynist: the kind who doesn't behave like a misogynist...

real horrorshow

Tigzy wrote:
sacha wrote: speaking of images, this is the best photo I've ever seen of [BeckyBoos]:
Nope. Sorry. Still makes my skin crawl. There's something about her stare: cold; unflinching; antiseptic; unfeeling; callously efficient. Something very 'camp commandant'. Something Rosa Klebb-ish. Something very Himmler about her.

http://i.imgur.com/Pc5BM.jpg
More appropriate still when you consider that the Reichsführer-SS came to be known as the Reichs Heinie, by his own troops.

mutleyeng

Re: Leadership

Post by mutleyeng »

disumbrationist wrote: The respect he commands - respect he has earned - is a valuable asset to the atheist movement. Anyone who says they "aren't going to buy his books, or recommend them to others" is depriving herself of valuable tools. There is certainly no one in Atheism+ or Freethought Blogs who could get a response like he did, who lectures as well, and has the intellectual chops he does. ...
It needs everything, intellect, achievement, linguistic skill, but most of all, passion. I dont think one even needs to be an academic - who could forget the way Stephen Fry demolished the opposition in the Great Debate a few yrs back...made even Hitch look ordinary

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

Haha! Hrab talk reminded me I met him at the TX Freethought convention in 2009. I sent him a friend request along with a note 'Hey I spoke at TX Freethought we met there blah blah...' and he never friended me back. Now it says I need to send him another request (its not 'pending'), so he actually declined my request. LOL! He likes women with 'both brains and body', but not like, actual smart attractive women, LOL!!!

This is one of the reasons PUA approaches work, they go after the '9s and 10s'-- Men are often intimidated by a womans looks and intelligence, so a guy who actually has the guts to confidently approach an attractive woman and a guy who isnt intimidated by genuine intelligence are successful. Why? Cause the chick is shocked hes actually interested in her and attracted to his confidence. I cant tell you how many times my guy friends (thinking they were flattering me) would tattle on their guy friends commenting on how 'hot' I was while they were hiding in their locker room at the gym. I was always like 'Great. So they think Im 'hot'. And Im going to be sitting with Arnie watching Netflix on Saturday because they wont ask me out for coffee." I cant tell you how many times I dated someone who initially LOVED that I was an HIV researcher, and LOVED parading their 'HIV researcher girlfriend' in front of their friends. But when reality hit the fan (I spend a ton of time in the lab, I get frustrated at work and the partner has no helpful insight/advice, I am not easy to impress intellectually, they might have to make personal sacrifices to support me) suddenly an HIV researcher for a girlfriend was not so attractive.

One of the many reasons this fiasco has pissed me off is that Watson lynching the guy who asked her for coffee, Myers weird creepy 'advice' to guys wanting to date atheist women, it makes dating even *harder* for guys AND women.

</ramble>

Johann the Cabbie

Post by Johann the Cabbie »

Okay you overly prolific cunts, I've finally caught up. It's been an insane week offline, and I see, an equally insane week online.

But, the coolest news over the past week - my sister walked the other day, a whole fifty feet, without her walker, for the first time in about four years.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

rE: that PZ thread about "your racist friend".

I've noticed a lot of commentators don't seem to know what PZ is talking about, and when other commentators are asked, they don't seem rather vague on what it is all about.

Anyway, PZ needs to concern himself with his "homophobic friend".

mutleyeng

Post by mutleyeng »

Too funny,
You know how you lot were talking about how Ophelia would be having a hissy fit because she couldnt moderate replies to her comments on Als blog?
shes got it covered - she just replies with pingbacks to her blog now.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Given the nature of PZ's missive of Al, we can take it that PZ is seriously butthurt.

All together now...aaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhhh, what a shame!!!

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

mutleyeng wrote:Too funny,
You know how you lot were talking about how Ophelia would be having a hissy fit because she couldnt moderate replies to her comments on Als blog?
Yep, the Baboons hate it when they can't control the narrative.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Poll: keep or ditch the anonymizer?

Post by Lsuoma »

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

CommanderTuvok wrote:
mutleyeng wrote:Too funny,
Yep, the Baboons hate it when they can't control the narrative.
What a silly bunt!

real horrorshow

AnonymousCowherd wrote:
rayshul wrote:Currently in A+ forum land, where they're talking about the haters. It seems as if they've decided that A+ is only for the marginalised and people-without-privilege, which is confusing because by their definition a bunch of us here would be considered marginalised or people-without-privilege (PWP, eh! HAH). Via Setar:
Atheism+ is not a big tent. It's not intended to be a big tent.

Big tents are for and by the privileged. Marginalized people may exist inside a big tent, but the will of the big tent will always be skewed towards its most privileged members -- see the Democratic and Republican parties in the United States.

This is a small tent. This is a tent of the marginalized. This is where we go when we're sick of people in the big tent trying to push us around.
Hng. It's not for the marginalised. It's for people who enjoy the idea of being victims. Big difference.
So, no longer the "third wave", no longer "purging" the misogynist minority from the atheist ranks, no longer pushing aside the privileged, old, white, males to make way for the New World Order etc. Now even they can't see themselves as the "big tent", the moral majority and, if that quote sums them up, what a sad little collective they have become.
Skimmed past this far too hastily in my millinerial outrage! This could be a key turning point. If the A+theists are circling the wagons and abandoning the pretence that they're the Inquisitors of Atheism, with the power to purify the faith and cast out the heretics, we're going to see a lot of weaseling and turning of coats as former 'celebrity atheist' supporters hasten to secure their seats on the conference gravy-train. I'm sure someone will show me where this is already happening.

Al Stefanelli

Post by Al Stefanelli »

real horrorshow wrote:

Yes, that is precisely what I was referring to. I just had to laugh at the entire hat portion of the comment thread. Funny (and not ha-ha funny) thing is, I've never said anything negative about PZ. Ever. So, I was kinda surprised at the post. But the comments didn't surprise me, at all. In fact, none of the comments on the couple/few posts that have tied me up to the post of perpetual flames have surprised me.
welch wrote:OMG, I have to ask, since you appear to own one: have you ever hit anyone over the head with a banjo? Because el kabonnging someone with a banjo just seems to be awesome.
That's an $800.00 banjo. No fucking way was I hitting anyone with that. I do have an old guitar I bought at a pawn shop that has a picture of Farrah Fawcett pasted on the back (the one with the nipples), and a sticker from a strip club glued to the front. That, I would hit someone with. But in a totally non-bigoted way. I would try to anticipate if the stickers would offend anyone, and would cover them up with carefully cut-out pieces of paper bags (with no writing on them, just in case the store they came from sells veal) before taking even that first swing.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Al Stefanelli wrote:
That's an $800.00 banjo. No fucking way was I hitting anyone with that. I do have an old guitar I bought at a pawn shop that has a picture of Farrah Fawcett pasted on the back (the one with the nipples), and a sticker from a strip club glued to the front. That, I would hit someone with. But in a totally non-bigoted way. I would try to anticipate if the stickers would offend anyone, and would cover them up with carefully cut-out pieces of paper bags (with no writing on them, just in case the store they came from sells veal) before taking even that first swing.
Ever have problems with your banjo string?

<snigger>

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Butters wrote:This is a small conference that happens in Orange County, California every year. The person who started it and works hard to put it together was very excited to get PZ Myers and Greta Christina as speakers in 2013. (I don't think he follows all the drama)
http://freethoughtalliance.org/fta/annu ... /speakers/
So much for A+ environmental activism and reducing one's carbon footprint.

$95 per head for the SGU dinner at CSICon isn't an outrageous amount, but not too many years ago it would have been financially out of the question for me. Certainly in my grad student or postdoctoral fellowship years, I could not have justified such an expense. Just as a comparison, the current per diem for dinner in the DC metro area, allotted for US federal gummint-related peer review work, is $36. Much less for breakfast and lunch, of course.