Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
cunt

Re: Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Post by cunt »

Must protect mediocre game franchises from criticism. Hitman is actually well though out. Lara Crofts titties...

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

cunt wrote:So... what page does Myks meltdown start on?
Right around where Phil scoffed at a $44 t-shirt, maybe a tad before.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

cunt wrote:
Spike13 wrote:Follow the trail of blood back about ten or twelve pages.
Thanks. I hoped for lols but was just reminded me that the Slymepit is unhealthy as fuck.
Have you tried it with a spoon full of sugar?

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

cunt wrote:Must protect mediocre game franchises from criticism. Hitman is actually well though out. Lara Crofts titties...
"The real Lara Croft" is currently featured in the cheap post apocalypse sf tv series, The Last Ship.

It's a dumb show, but fun. To paraphrase from the Star Trek Origin Story, it is a post apocalyptic mashup of Horatio Hornblower and Wagon Train. Starring Ms. Croft.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

cunt wrote:Say "i'm a skeptic and this shit is important" into an internet echo chamber 20 times a day and you'll become a total fucking twat.
[youtube]-DIETlxquzY[/youtube]

Pagancat

Post by Pagancat »

another lurker wrote:Postal 2 is one of my favourite games, and reviewers shat all over it because the game isn't PC. Eagerly awaiting Postal 3.
Postal 3 has been out for a while. Unfortunately its a pile of crap. Which is a shame because Postal 2 is a classic.

[youtube]WLdVzYLjwW0[/youtube]

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Two of my favourite things about Postal 2

1) NPC's walk like retards

2) one of Mr. Dude's 'chores' is to go piss on his dad's grave

There was a postal 2 addon that nearly kicked my ass however - you're stuck in a basement with a pistol, 10 bullets and there are like 20 baddies outside with automatic weapons. Took me a while to get through that!

Some Lurker

Post by Some Lurker »

It occurs to me that you could undress male characters in Hitman, leaving them in their underwear, but not female ones. Who is being sexualised again?
If I recall Anita's argument relies on men not being sextualized. In that particular game men are sextualized more than women.

Some Lurker

Post by Some Lurker »

cunt wrote:Must protect mediocre game franchises from criticism. Hitman is actually well though out. Lara Crofts titties...
I realize that you are just trolling but I do agree that the Tomb Raider series is extremely overrated.

cunt

Post by cunt »

Some Lurker wrote:
I realize that you are just trolling but I do agree that the Tomb Raider series is extremely overrated.
Welcome... to 1998.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Some Lurker wrote:It occurs to me that you could undress male characters in Hitman, leaving them in their underwear, but not female ones. Who is being sexualised again?
If I recall Anita's argument relies on men not being sextualized. In that particular game men are sextualized more than women.
Snarkys arguments rely on credulity and presupposition on the part of her audience. Much like any preacher

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Pitchguest wrote:
Spike13 wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:
Fidalgo isn't the only one. Apparently all these people who should know better, like Anthony Burch (writer of Borderlands 2), don't seem to understand it either. Or perhaps because they don't want to. And really, I really don't give a shit about Anita Sarkeesian the person. What I care about are the things that flow carelessly and deliberately out of her mouth.
The writer who's game cover features a mask wearing psyco aping a dual wielding suicide pose is upset about violence?

Although playing both borderlands I can say that the writers may not understand an immersive gaming experience.

(The games were fun though, had exellent intro music, ams well, claptrap.)
The first Borderlands was written by someone else, not Burch. But if the kind of presentation of women that Sarkeesian criticises/cherrypicks in her video is any indication, she might (and if she's consistent, should) aim her eye of Sauron onto Borderlands 2 as well, considering the portrayal of Moxxi had arguably even more innuendo than the previous one.

Also, the thing in her most recent one that bugs me is how she shows scenes of women getting beat up or killed as a demonstration of her Women as Background Characters in games. Most of them being open world as well where choice is everything. She shows a scene from the first Bioshock where a ghostly figure talks to you in an alluring fashion, the spiritual remnant of a woman long dead, leading you into a room where the woman lies dead on a bed. She says the problem with this is the way the woman is dressed. Mind you, she doesn't show why this particular woman is significant or why it's shown. She just says, look at how she's dressed, isn't that sexist? And how you're apparently supposed to experience stimulation at the sight of the mildly dressed carcass.

(Except if you played it all the way through, you'll find out she wasn't just some nobody. And the room you find her in is a bedroom so applying logic she may have been wearing a nightgown or a negligé or something along those lines, and this was a husband killing her wife in cold blood because of reasons you find out if you actually play the game. You can't just show it out context and frankly, to say it exists just to titillate the gamer [in a sexual way] is insulting.)

Then she shows scenes from the unofficial sequel, Bioshock 2, where dead men and women are strewn across a place called The Pink Pearl Bordello where she complains about "eroticised female bodies" where we are supposed to notice the discrepancy between the "distinct lack of sexual presentation" between the men versus the women. To which I would say, yeah. Because it's a fucking bordello. It's a ridiculous criticism to expect a similar presentation, if any, of the women wearing quote unquote "sexy" clothing to appeal to the johns coming there and the johns themselves. And frankly, in the scenes she showcases I find nothing sexual about the women seemingly being impaled with stakes and their faces rearranged with needle and a string. Now granted it's been a while since I played Bioshock 2 (wasn't one of the better ones in the series I can tell you that, felt more like filler), however I seem to recall there's a few male prostitutes in there as well. But I think my point still stands: it's a fucking brothel. Does she expect them to dress conservatively? Or better yet, does she expect the game developers to dress them conservatively (in a game based in the 60's, in an underwater "paradise" helmed by the offspring of Ayn Rand)?

--

Then she presents another game, Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (a sequel to Assassin's Creed 2), where the objective is to kill a guy offing nameless courtesans in the street. Well, there certainly is that aspect. But then there's the other aspect where the courtesans later help you and they don't just become "background decoration" for which to look pretty, and much later there's a scene where instead of the courtesans taking shit, they fend for themselves. Which is not, by the way, due to the intervention of the named character, Ezio Auditore, but his sister, Claudia.

Ah, feminism in action! Except, no. Because they're still dressed in revealing clothing, they're still prostitutes and they still (sometimes) exist as a way just to lure the guards away from places (so you can loot stuff or finish missions). There's also the caveat that Brotherhood was the game that introduced female assassins for the first time, something that the previous games did not have. Did that at least get a mention? Of course it didn't. Not important. Sexualisation of female characters as background decoration. Priorities.

Some of the games I still haven't played, like Watch Dogs, GTA 5 and Red Dead Redemption, however some people have already mentioned how she misrepresented the trafficking portion of Watch Dogs as simply sexual arousal when the objective in fact is to shut it down. The purpose of the auction was to show the sleaziness of the perpetrators, but it seems even sleaze should not exist in games - at least with female actors at the forefront - according to Anita Sarkeesian. Now I have hopes that game developers won't give her any mind or if they do they will at least get wise to her bullshit. But if not, we may be experiencing a time where developers won't realise their vision if their vision includes to some extent the suffering of virtual women or women in revealing clothing, not as the only trait but as a subset, out of fear they might suffer backlash that could potentially ruin their career. Which might sound hyperbolic, but this whole thing with Zoë Quinn, how that played out and how vulnerable people not wise to their tactics are (Fine Young Capitalists)? Makes you think twice.
Yes, the Bioshock scene was a particularly bad choice for her to make, given what you find out later.

It just serves to prove she has no idea what was going on in the game.( more than likely she or someone else just cherry picked the scene w/o knowing the context.

Hopefully those days will be over soon given the recent mild rebellion against the lords of gaming.

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

cunt wrote:
Some Lurker wrote:
Welcome... to 1998.
I just got this awesome new game for PC called "Quake"
I'm
Nice I finish that I'm going to play Duke Nukem!

Søren Lilholt

Post by Søren Lilholt »

Badger3k wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:My main gripes with Ehrman are two . He:
1) recycles entire chapters;

2) accepts as given that Jesus was real and was active during the admin of Pilate. Cuz it sez so in the gospels, which Ehrman more than anybody (esp. in Forged) has shown to be mid- late 2nd century pastiches.

It's like saying, well in GLADIATOR, Maximus fights the emperor Commodus. And we know Commodus was real and when he reigned, so Maximus was real, too.

Any hoo, Ehrman is a good speaker, so check out his youtubes.
He has been decent in some of the debates I've heard. Been a while, though. He also has a bunch of teaching company lectures on the subject too. Worth it if you like his books, but a lot of the same material is covered, as his usual pattern.

In other news, PZ commiserates on the shooting of an instructor by a 9-year old. Well, not quite...

He does say this, so he might have learned something from the Williams debacle:
This is terrible on all levels.

My sympathies go out to the family of the dead instructor.
Note - he said nothing about using this tragedy to take attention off Ferguson, but then again, PZ is something of an anti-gun nut, just not to the extent that Laden is. He has this to say:
But I mostly feel awful for the girl. She was asked to operate heavy industrial machinery — make no mistake, that’s what these modern weapons are — with minimal instruction, at a venue called “Bullets and Burgers” that caters to a casual tourist crowd and that minimizes the dangers of these weapons. An automatic machine gun is NOT a toy, it is not a fun plaything, it is not something to entertain tourists during lunch.

And now, because her family were caught up in a gun culture that thinks deadly weapons are fun and sporting, she gets to live with a lot of guilt for the rest of her life.
Heavy machinery? WTF? I agree that a nine-year old should not have an Uzi in her hands. I know kids her age use them in various parts of the world, but I think she should have used something smaller with less recoil, especially if the girl was untrained (which is the implication I get here, need to check the article). The instructor should have been holding it to help her steady it, at the least. In my opinion, of course. My nieces go the the range with my brother, and they enjoy responsible shooting. They learned from an early age to respect them as the deadly things they are. So I agree that it's not fit for entertainment of non-shooters unless there are safeguards (weapons locked in place so they can't move too far, etc).

The first quote is also a bit facepalm-worthy:
hexidecima
27 August 2014 at 11:03 am
it is a horrible thing. I do not see such things as “accidents”, something that no one thinks will happen and no one is at fault. This was intentionally playing with deadly things and we all know what deadly things do.
Accident:
noun
an undesirable or unfortunate happening that occurs unintentionally and usually results in harm, injury, damage, or loss; casualty; mishap:
automobile accidents.
Law. such a happening resulting in injury that is in no way the fault of the injured person for which compensation or indemnity is legally sought.
any event that happens unexpectedly, without a deliberate plan or cause.
chance; fortune; luck:
I was there by accident.
a fortuitous circumstance, quality, or characteristic:
an accident of birth.
Philosophy. any entity or event contingent upon the existence of something else.
Geology. a surface irregularity, usually on a small scale, the reason for which is not apparent.
Derp. But dictionaries are bad. :doh:
Yeah, but there's accidents and there's accidents waiting to happen. There's nothing you can do for a kid who gets mown down on the pavement by a drunk-driver. Whereas the death of a kid who runs out into oncoming traffic, because her cunt parents never told her to look both ways, is verging on inevitable.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Spike13 wrote:
Yes, the Bioshock scene was a particularly bad choice for her to make, given what you find out later.

It just serves to prove she has no idea what was going on in the game.( more than likely she or someone else just cherry picked the scene w/o knowing the context.

Hopefully those days will be over soon given the recent mild rebellion against the lords of gaming.
The one example of her recent video that did look sexist/misogynistic/tacky was the scene where there was the body of a murdered woman in her underwear lying on a table (pooltable?) and you have to move around the table, hiding from flying bullets, all the while being right up close to the semi-naked female body.
The trouble for me is that I don't trust Sarkheesian after the Hitman example she used in her last episode. I don't know if the current dead body on the table example is central to the story, or if it's something she arranged herself - and something that the vast majority of the players of that game will never see.
The hitman thing wasn't cherry picking, it was collecting a pile of dung, painting it red, and telling us that she'd located the cherry motherload.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

I think what makes Anita's motives crystal clear in that she's already made up her mind regarding the games she plays is her tweet where she says she played for hours just to capture that one scene only it ended up not being used.
What scene? Hard to say. But a likely guess it had something to do with her cherrypicking women as background decoration in games.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Pitchguest wrote:I think what makes Anita's motives crystal clear in that she's already made up her mind regarding the games she plays is her tweet where she says she played for hours just to capture that one scene only it ended up not being used.
What scene? Hard to say. But a likely guess it had something to do with her cherrypicking women as background decoration in games.
Wasn't it easier to copy that scene from a Let's Play, like she usually does?

acathode

Post by acathode »

JacquesCuze wrote:Now, MRAs have an argument that I've considered mostly wrong and mostly lame, that is that men's right to vote is linked to the draft. <snip>
Nothing wrong with your post, but I'd just like to point out that this (and the rest of your post) obviously applies only to US (and US MRAs).

In many other countries, the mandatory conscription and the right to vote was very deeply linked, like for example here in Sweden. The conscription was the main argument for the Swedish Rösträttsrörelsen ("The right to vote movement") in the late 1800s/early 1900s, and resulted in all Swedish conscripted men getting the right to vote in 1909. All women got the right to vote in 1919, due to conservatives in the 1st chamber fearing the Russian revolution spreading.

In 1922, 2 years after women got their right to vote, the requirement of conscription was removed and men got the same right to vote as women had. :)

Now, conscription might seem like a non-issue today in most western countries (and the MRAs that harp on about it are rather tiresome), but it should be pointed out that at the time, conscription was some serious shit, with all the social unrest, new strange -isms being invented almost daily, World War 1, and the Communist revolution in the very, very near east. War and revolutions could, and did break out, and conscription was a thing of life and death, not only for the individual men, but also for the nation.

Opyt

Post by Opyt »

JacquesCuze wrote:Counter-points to Watson
In other words, another Instant Classic Watson-grade stupidity post. I think there ought to be 3 constants to the universe as we know it:
1. Death
2. Taxes
3. Poorly thought out, poorly researched, and generally dumb Watson (and Watson imitator) videos, posts, tweets, tumblrs, etc.

windy

Post by windy »

Game over dudebros. Whedon puts his foot down.
Good thing we wouldn't find any bias toward sexual presentation of women if we were to cherry-pick his own work!

http://karlismyunkle.files.wordpress.co ... pr-011.jpg

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Brive1987 wrote:Well, if it can score a 300 reference then I should give it another go. I'll give it 30 mins to win me. :)

And Wreaking Ball, kinda sums up the whole stupid race to the bottom. In my day we had Joan Jett and Debbie Harry.
Debbie Harry YES!

[youtube]WGU_4-5RaxU[/youtube]

Søren Lilholt

Post by Søren Lilholt »

Old ones wrote:[Sarkeesian] is a lying sack of shit, and because a misrepresentation of the game was more helpful to her narrative than a fair representation would have been.
That Sarkeesian is a systematic liar has been proven beyond any rational doubt. This really is a line in the sand as far as I'm concerned - there is simply no defending someone with this level of mendacity.

If feminism as an intellectual movement is to maintain any credibility whatsoever, it MUST reject this nonsense. No self-respecting field would ever take Sarkeesian's dismal work seriously. It is so peppered with lies as to be the Feminist equivalent of a creationist tract.

For example, is PZ "Myers" Meyers really going to align himself with the output of a woman who rejects the science of biology? HE'S A FUCKING PROFESSIONAL BIOLOGIST!! Or does feminism trump science now?

This is all shades of fucked up.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Søren Lilholt wrote:
Old ones wrote:[Sarkeesian] is a lying sack of shit, and because a misrepresentation of the game was more helpful to her narrative than a fair representation would have been.
That Sarkeesian is a systematic liar has been proven beyond any rational doubt. This really is a line in the sand as far as I'm concerned - there is simply no defending someone with this level of mendacity.

If feminism as an intellectual movement is to maintain any credibility whatsoever, it MUST reject this nonsense. No self-respecting field would ever take Sarkeesian's dismal work seriously. It is so peppered with lies as to be the Feminist equivalent of a creationist tract.

For example, is PZ "Myers" Meyers really going to align himself with the output of a woman who rejects the science of biology? HE'S A FUCKING PROFESSIONAL BIOLOGIST!! Or does feminism trump science now?

I may be incorrect, but has he slammed theist scientists who choose to compartmentalise their ideology from their study?

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Za-zen wrote:
Søren Lilholt wrote: That Sarkeesian is a systematic liar has been proven beyond any rational doubt. This really is a line in the sand as far as I'm concerned - there is simply no defending someone with this level of mendacity.

I may be incorrect, but has he slammed theist scientists who choose to compartmentalise their ideology from their study?
Yes, Francis Collins and Ken Miller, to name two.

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

Wow. The inability to connect the dots. Eight hours to get ONE scene. Did you [Snarky] think about that before tweeting or was getting out the lie about working the eight hours (to justify the $$$) too important?

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Spike13 wrote:

The one example of her recent video that did look sexist/misogynistic/tacky was the scene where there was the body of a murdered woman in her underwear lying on a table (pooltable?) and you have to move around the table, hiding from flying bullets, all the while being right up close to the semi-naked female body.
The trouble for me is that I don't trust Sarkheesian after the Hitman example she used in her last episode. I don't know if the current dead body on the table example is central to the story, or if it's something she arranged herself - and something that the vast majority of the players of that game will never see.
The hitman thing wasn't cherry picking, it was collecting a pile of dung, painting it red, and telling us that she'd located the cherry motherload.
Yeah, that Mafia 2 example? Tacky. Context? It's a stripper in a brothel.

Anyway. Whatever. The point is, game developers should not have to cower from portraying this in games (in particular games like Mafia 2) and they should especially not cower away from it from someone cherrypicking examples that are definitely meant exclusively to be played like that. She can fake footage and claim absolutely this is how it is (like she did with Hitman: Absolution), but that just makes her even more of a fraud than she already is.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Ophelia copypastes an article about a squabble over reclining seats and Knee Defenders on a flight (truly a first world problem if there ever was one), and much hilarity ensues in the comments. Everyone, it seems, has a major disability that somehow requires that they travel by air, and that they either a. absolutely must sit bolt upright with room for their legs OR b. absolutely must recline the seat to accommodate their warped anatomy.

:popcorn:

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

BarnOwl wrote:Ophelia copypastes an article about a squabble over reclining seats and Knee Defenders on a flight (truly a first world problem if there ever was one), and much hilarity ensues in the comments. Everyone, it seems, has a major disability that somehow requires that they travel by air, and that they either a. absolutely must sit bolt upright with room for their legs OR b. absolutely must recline the seat to accommodate their warped anatomy.

I'm 6ft tall, like you, and if I can't stretch my legs out, I suffer from really bad sciatic pain. But I guess that doesn't matter, eh? <3 aisle seats.

dogen

Post by dogen »

windy wrote:Game over dudebros. Whedon puts his foot down.
Good thing we wouldn't find any bias toward sexual presentation of women if we were to cherry-pick his own work!

Reading the comments about this tweet on Pharyngula, it looks like the flensing knives are coming out over Joss' transphobia.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
He has a special hate-on for Collins (who, in my experience, is one of the more approachable and pleasant "big shots" in genome/genetic research).

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

another lurker wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:Ophelia copypastes an article about a squabble over reclining seats and Knee Defenders on a flight (truly a first world problem if there ever was one), and much hilarity ensues in the comments. Everyone, it seems, has a major disability that somehow requires that they travel by air, and that they either a. absolutely must sit bolt upright with room for their legs OR b. absolutely must recline the seat to accommodate their warped anatomy.

I'm 6ft tall, like you, and if I can't stretch my legs out, I suffer from really bad sciatic pain. But I guess that doesn't matter, eh? <3 aisle seats.
Aisle seats are great if you're claustrophobic, in addition to having long legs.

Fortunately I fly only once or twice a year, if that much.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

BarnOwl wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:
He has a special hate-on for Collins (who, in my experience, is one of the more approachable and pleasant "big shots" in genome/genetic research).
I've never had a problem with Collins as a scientist/administrator.
That's not to say he should be free from criticism for his loopy religious beliefs and his promotion of BioLogos, but his day to day science stands up to scrutiny.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

BarnOwl wrote:
another lurker wrote:
Aisle seats are great if you're claustrophobic, in addition to having long legs.

Fortunately I fly only once or twice a year, if that much.
I haven't flown in a while, and don't really want to, what with carriers putting seats closer together. My problems are mainly at the theatre:((

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
That's not to say he should be free from criticism for his loopy religious beliefs and his promotion of BioLogos, but his day to day science stands up to scrutiny.
At least 90% of the people I work with have loopy religious beliefs. I'd alienate myself from most scientific collaboration if I let it bother me much ... well, OK, I'd have a couple of my Brazilian and Chinese colleagues to work with, at least. :mrgreen:

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

windy wrote:Game over dudebros. Whedon puts his foot down.

You don't even have to cherry pick. Pick a Joss Whedon project at random and you can find something legitimately sexist in it.

I don't really care though, because I'm not a SJW and would rather he have that creative freedom.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:I think what makes Anita's motives crystal clear in that she's already made up her mind regarding the games she plays is her tweet where she says she played for hours just to capture that one scene only it ended up not being used.
Wasn't it easier to copy that scene from a Let's Play, like she usually does?
Ah, but it wouldn't be the way she thinks it's MEANT to be played. Once again the case in point being how she played Hitman: Absolution herself (or she says she did anyway, maybe her boyfriend did) just to kill a stripper (that you're not supposed to, it's a civilian, you get a penalty) and drag her lifeless corpse around a bit for the camera before putting her in a box (to hide it). Something that no other Let's Play player had done. Really speaks volumes to her intellectual honesty.

And if her point is that the mechanics exist, they're there and you can do it, then it's a self-fulfilling prophecy because you can do all kinds of other shit, too, like commit mass murder. On every stage. You will obviously procure a massive amount of penalty points for doing this - I'm talking tens of thousands - but you can do it. Not to mention other open world games, like Skyrim, where you can kill pretty much every NPC in the game that isn't essential (which is a lot). Of course doing so you will fail (both pre-emptively and perhaps concurrently) quests that aren't of the main questline and you will make the world more boring, but you can. That's the promise open world games grant you: choice. Which, yes, includes undressing women NPC after you kill them (or while alive, if your pickpocketing is good enough) and dragging them around - if that's what you really want. Whoop-dee-fucking-doo. Just because you *can* do it doesn't mean you *have to* do it.

Also, Josh Whedon endorsing Sarkeesian is just hilarious. It screams of pandering. Especially when you consider how Sarkeesian previously spoke scathingly of the portrayal of women in Buffy and the Dollhouse, precisely of the kind of "background decoration" she deplores game developers of abusing, but I guess now Whedon has her back it's all fine? How convenient.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Badger3k wrote:
Tribble wrote: That summed up the piece of shit that was TW: Rome 2 Everything was a disaster. Nothing worked. It crashed all the time and it had to be patched eight or nine times before it became stable and most of the bugs were fixed.

And they're STILL patching the shitty AI. The last one being sent into beta July 31st of this year (Patch 14):
After lots of constructive and well-appreciated feedback from you guys, we’ve just officially released a huge patch for ROME II, bringing with it numerous optimisations and gameplay improvements, and a big focus on siege AI.

Along with a host of significant battle and campaign improvements, this patch enables the battle AI to use its siege equipment more effectively, and employ its combined forces with a much greater level of co-ordination. This provides the player with a sharpened level of challenge, and a considerably more satisfying siege-battle experience.

The patch has been in open beta since Tuesday, and you’ve already been talking about the great improvements it brings.

But don’t just take our word for it, check out the Patch 14 feedback thread on Reddit:
How does a game that requires two more years of work to get playable and challenging get 95s? Simple, C.A. has a big name and they tend to get a free pass like so many 'big name' developers.
I wonder what Battlefield 4 - betafield, battlefail, etc - scored. The game is still being patched and is horrible almost a year after release. They still haven't fixed the campaign save issue (it's been off-and-on corruption since day 1) and hit detection is terrible. It's part of the whole "release now and patch later" mentality that infests a lot of developers. Now that is an issue that is important to gamers, not whether the game has an untouchable uberfem who says "rape is bad, mmkay".
On Metacritic BF4 gets an 8.1 (good game -- 42 positive and 10 mixed with no 'bad' reviews) vs 5.9 (mediocre) from the fans.

And while fans are often harder, Divinity: Original Sin currently holds a 9.0 from the fans and an 8.7 from the reviewers. But Divinity: Original Sin is from a small, 40-man company (Larian Studios). Battlefield 4 comes from E-fucking-A DICE but EA spent $680 MILLION in marketing and advertising last year (down from $788 million the year before) while Larian will be lucky to generate much press beyond a few non-highlighted/non-emphasized reviews.

And that's the source of the corruption. Those magazines and websites don't get shit from Larian Studios while EA pumps in millions and millions into their coffers. And while one would like to believe that it doesn't cause bias, studies have shown it creates a lot of bias which is why Consumer Reports, for example, does not take advertising money.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

cunt wrote:Say "i'm a skeptic and this shit is important" into an internet echo chamber 20 times a day and you'll become a total fucking twat.
And I thought you were dead...

Easy J

Post by Easy J »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
KenD wrote:
Not good enough. Simply having a programmed ability to attack women in games is misogyny in itself. Women in games should be specially protected, either simply made invulnerable, or an instant game over if you kill them. That's true gender equality.
The logic of the position of people like Paul Fidalgo seems to suggest that games should have some sort of programmed inability to harm female characters.

While that sounds sexist in itself (treating men and women differently), there is the added problem of transphobia.
Why do we assume that the apparently male characters are men?
Can't the also be transwomen?

And if we say "No the fucking well can't, they're all men, right?", aren't we erasing the existence of transwomen from society?

In other words, the only way we can prevent the possibility of committing virtual violence on women game characters is to eliminate the possibility of committing violence on ANY character. Remember, if you are virtually killing hundreds of 'men' in Call of duty, the chances are that you are statistically likely to have killed a virtual transwoman too!

So, ban all violent games.
Problem solved!

It will take a little getting used to but I can already just about see the brave new world of gaming in my minds eye.

Battlefield 6 - Mission to Farmville
or perhaps,
Candycrush of Duty.
This little worm is essentially saying "why can't we just go back to killing men all the time on these games? Only men are acceptible recipients of violence". The people saying this shit aren't made to defend this bullshit, either, because everyone is too busy trying to point out the dishonesty Anita used to jump-start this non-issue.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

dog puke wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:
Dworkins Unplugged. wrote:
Damn, I'm wrong again. I guess I'm also wrong in saying that both Ummagumma and More are masterpieces in comparison to The Division Bell.
The Division Bell is 'no true Floyd'. No Waters, no Floyd.

Pfffttt... no Syd Barrett, no Floyd.
images/ranks/th.jpg

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:I'm sorry that I missed the (brief) mention of Lara Croft's (version 1) triangular boobs. One thing that I noticed when forced to watch Kim Possible with my kids is that Kim's boobs are pointed while those of all other female characters are rounded. Interestingly, my daughter noticed this, too, but my son did not (but that's an N of 2 with an age confound, so let's not write the Psych Review article or make the video yet, nor send my son off for pray-the-gay-away therapy).

Anyhoo, it's interesting (to me) because I'd like to know why they did it. I doubt that it's an accident. Are they trying to stop folks from "objectifying" Kim by making her less attractive? Are they trying to make you aware that you're staring at the boobs of a cartoon teenager? Or are they training boys to prefer girls with triangular tits by having Kim be the only likeable character in the show? Seriously ... what's up with that?
Ah, I remember Kim Possible. Watched that for years... A zillion times better than My Little Pony.

Anyway, she's small breasted and pretty much thinner than all the other girls, too. And they're not actually triangular, but pointy and not filled out so much:

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2012 ... poster.jpg

heddle

Post by heddle »

BarnOwl wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:
At least 90% of the people I work with have loopy religious beliefs. I'd alienate myself from most scientific collaboration if I let it bother me much ... well, OK, I'd have a couple of my Brazilian and Chinese colleagues to work with, at least. :mrgreen:
I have a somewhat unique perspective on this having been an atheist and professional scientist and then later a Christian and a professional scientist doing research at the same national lab. At neither time did I or any of my colleagues make a big deal about religion. Sometimes we did (and do) discuss it in the cafeteria. One of the best things about science is that it is a total meritocracy. When we get down to brass tacks, all we want to know is: are you doing anything interesting and/or are you doing anything that will help the overall research program succeed? Nobody gives a rat's ass about the other stuff. You could show up to work wearing your underwear outside of your pants and bible verses tattooed on your eyelids-- as long as you have something to contribute nobody will give you grief. Dipshits like Myers do not get this. They want to, weirdly, turn science into a priesthood where it is not just the quality of one's work that matters, but also one's private dogma. They forget the simple fact that science is a method that knows or cares nothing of the practitioner's motivation or beliefs. Myers is a loser in many regards--but none more so that he wants to turn science into science+.

Some Lurker

Post by Some Lurker »

Pitchguest wrote: Ah, but it wouldn't be the way she thinks it's MEANT to be played. Once again the case in point being how she played Hitman: Absolution herself (or she says she did anyway, maybe her boyfriend did) just to kill a stripper (that you're not supposed to, it's a civilian, you get a penalty) and drag her lifeless corpse around a bit for the camera before putting her in a box (to hide it). Something that no other Let's Play player had done. Really speaks volumes to her intellectual honesty.
Minor Correction: The strippers were not killed in the clip in question. The were merely knocked out. Fists are non-lethal in Hitman.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

cunt wrote:
Thanks. I hoped for lols but was just reminded me that the Slymepit is unhealthy as fuck.
Sorry, your act is old and busted. I'm the new hotness. And the best thing about being an asshole? I make this look good.

Kind of.

Okay, slightly.

Fuck you.

Easy J

Post by Easy J »

Badger3k wrote:
Opyt wrote:Cabal (if that really was you lol skepticism):
It's not "irony", but it's also not "the gaming community"; it's just the SJL element of it.
Dick Strawkins:
I'd say that there are only a handful of games where you death toll isn't higher than that of a small battle. And most games that center around shooting people also have a death toll higher than the "worst years" of both OIF & OEF (Iraq & Afghanistan) within the first two or three missions. But that's just nitpicking.
Yet it's a sin to ask about all the male characters who get killed by the character. In my play through of the latest Hitman, I killed only the men (except for the woman in the first mission), including stuffing them in crates and other things. If there were female guards or targets, then they would get treated the same. It's the equality they say they want - women and men to be treated the same. But they don't want that, they want that special privilege. About the only ones without a huge death count are some platformers and some artistic games like Flow (I believe that's the name). You don't kill people in music and dancing games too (well, most, there was one or two that used that as a gimmick). But Sarky doesn't care about them - she admits she doesn't play and really doesn't like shooters and combat games, and they provide the best fodder for the gravy train. I wonder how long it will be before she is invited to blog at FtB.
I know you were half joking but Oafie almost certainly read that & this would actually make sense for FTB. And here I am underlining it for them. I really do suck as a human being sometimes.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Old_ones wrote:

Maybe I worded that badly because I don't actually believe that Sarkeesian is very knowledgeable about video games. Clearly she knows enough to find games to take offense to, but I doubt she has spent more than the bare minimum of time learning about them. On the other hand I don't believe that she doesn't understand how basic plots work (as Aneris suggests) because she doesn't come off as a drooling moron. It doesn't take a genius to understand that putting a lot of attention into into the developing minor characters that don't advance the plot is a bad idea. I think she is griping about character development because it is a convenient way to have something to gripe about to her audience.

Thunderf00t pointed out a while back that she went off on Hitman because of scene where you could beat up dancers and she erroneously claimed that you were encouraged to beat the girls. I don't believe for a second she did that because she doesn't understand how open world games work. Not only is it not that difficult a concept to understand, but there is no obvious reason why someone would mistake "you have a lot of freedom to choose how you act in this environment" for "you are encouraged to act in the most abusive way this game will allow". If she was able to find that title and figure out that it has a specific setting in it where you can beat women, then how would it be possible for her to understand nothing else about the game? I don't think she honestly believes that Hitman encourages you to attack the dancers (who are in no way related to the mission); I think she said that because she is a lying sack of shit, and because a misrepresentation of the game was more helpful to her narrative than a fair representation would have been.
We have to start with her history.

First, she's been an Internet SJW with an SJW bent since at least Obama v McCain.

Second, she's got not problem with sleeze and lying and so far her careers have been:

1. A telemarketing pyramid scheme. (Neonandchrome.com (wayback machine: http://web.archive.org/web/200707031843 ... hrome.com/ ))
2. Marketing and selling Junk Science Handwriting Analysis.
3. A "Success Secrets Of Self-Made Millionaires" course.
4. SJW activism (non-video games)

Third, she really has the SJW bonafides -- an MA in Women's Studies). She's capable of soloing events, such as college talks, in front of friendly audiences and talk the shit, at least enough to baffle the rubes, well enough on her own.

But the gaming thing is not really an Anita thing. In fact, like I said, she hated games and didn't play them. So why did she suddenly start all this SJW crap about something she knew nothing about?

Enter Stage Right: Jonathon Mcintosh.

The short truth of the matter is that Anita did nothing with this area, and was stone-cold-ignorant of it, until she met her boyfriend, Jonathan Mcintosh. OTOH, her boyfriend, Jonathan Mcintosh, has been active SJWing this field long before Anita even thought of becoming a professional SJW. But nobody really ever paid attention to him because he's a dude.

I think one of the better and least polemic summaries is here: http://themalesofgames.blogspot.com/201 ... anita.html

And I'm not saying he's the puppet master. I'm saying he's part of the package and an equal contributor to the bullshit as he co-writes and produces the videos and is the one who was into the gaming SJWism long before Anita (who's been a SJW on the Internet for quite some time). And I think it's obvious, if ultimately unprovable, that he's the source of the gaming information and impetus to attack the gaming market.

And, yes, I have no doubt Anita adds to the shit. But when it comes to actual gaming, she's a berk and without the boyfriend, there'd probably be nothing.

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

BarnOwl wrote:Fortunately I fly only once or twice a year, if that much.
I had to stop flying after becoming aroused during a TSA pat-down. I'm probably still on some list. :oops:

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Lsuoma wrote:
dog puke wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:
The Division Bell is 'no true Floyd'. No Waters, no Floyd.

Pfffttt... no Syd Barrett, no Floyd.
images/ranks/th.jpg

No Syd Barrett and we get "Shine On You Crazy Diamond"

http://i.imgur.com/nThq32R.jpg

Southern

Post by Southern »

Badger3k wrote:
The GTAV "rape" encounter is another one, but when you come upon two guys with the woman, if you stay around or get too close, they will attack you. You can either save her or run away completely. Of course, even after you save her you can still turn her over to the cannibals, but you lose the talents of another person for your heists. It's not worth it to me. As for her obsessions, I'd say "projection" - she may get her jollies from posing virtual dead bodies, but not everyone is like her. Either that, or she has to project the worst possible motivations to continue her narrative.
And, of course, the only character who can deliver people to the cannibal cult is Trevor - a meth addict who is a complete piece of shit as person, so bad that even Michael is afraid of him.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

BarnOwl wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:Well, if it can score a 300 reference then I should give it another go. I'll give it 30 mins to win me. :)

And Wreaking Ball, kinda sums up the whole stupid race to the bottom. In my day we had Joan Jett and Debbie Harry.
Debbie Harry YES!

[youtube]WGU_4-5RaxU[/youtube]
YES YES YES. :dance:

Southern

Post by Southern »

Spike13 wrote:
Godamnit.....cold shower time....
JacquesCuze wrote:Watson celebrates Women's Equality Day by ranting about MRAs.

[youtube]S-0ZA4W0RRU[/youtube]
I assume you did not need to take the cold shower after all. I know I didn't need.

Southern

Post by Southern »

dog puke wrote:
Spike13 wrote: Godamnit.....cold shower time....
here you go...
[youtube]S-0ZA4W0RRU[/youtube]
Aw God damn it! Niggered!

We did change "ninja" for "nigger", didn't we?

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

I've never played Hitman, but its quality is completely beside the point, because that isn't why Sarkeesian is criticizing it. The reason I don't like Sarkeesian's criticism is that I'm pretty sure I don't want to play "single motherhood: the video game" or whatever joyless monstrosity it is that she would actually approve of.

I have no beef with well thought out criticism that attacks games for being poor quality. This for instance:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/11 ... le-player/

Southern

Post by Southern »

This fucker needs to try and do a Let's Play of Dragon's Lair for the NES.

Michael J

Post by Michael J »

Just looked at Alexa for nothoughtblogs and while the traffic is basically going nowhere there has been a switch in the demographics. There has been a switch to more females reading the blog. I suppose that this isn't to be unexpected given the continued direction of where the blog is going.
I'm curious if this is also a shift away in audience from PZ and Ed to the other blogs.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Mykeru wrote:
cunt wrote:
Sorry, your act is old and busted. I'm the new hotness. And the best thing about being an asshole? I make this look good.

Kind of.

Okay, slightly.

Fuck you.
That's right, cunt. You snost, you lost.

Welcome to the new cunt.

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

[youtube]-Njt5FsU5Xc[/youtube]

It's somewhat amusing to hear the Seattle Cop in this interview worry about virtual rape in modded games but never mention all the assault and murder. Seattle cops are apparently okay with that.

But I do wonder, what is the basic ehow of how modded games work?

How do modders mod games - why would any other user see their modded version of a game?

Michael J

Post by Michael J »

One of the online magazines (Slate or Salon or something) was discussing the sexism in gaming and quoted the statistic that more women than men play games. Were they talking about all games or just the shooters that we are discussing here?
At the end of the day it is going to be the game buyers who determine the games. I guess that you can knock a lot of the rough edges from the games and still not affect gameplay. However, if the major franchises hurt the gameplay then it will allow a lot of new entrants who will produce what the punters want.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Just because there can't be too many songs with "nihilistic" in the lyrics.

[youtube]U-VQVC7Miqo[/youtube]

Stellar*, a NZ band from the 90's (when cunt was in short shorts).

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

Wait. There are musicians from NZ other than Flight of the Concords? Who'da thought.

[youtube]ZbbxA8a_M_s[/youtube]