Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
franc

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by franc »

Tigzy wrote:Happy Birthday Renee. Here, have a monkey love $urlyramic in speckled brown:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/112808235/m ... n-speckled

http://img3.etsystatic.com/006/0/518569 ... 7_bcoh.jpg

For some reason, speckled brown seems so apt for this piece of art.
Here's an older one I made -

http://i.imgur.com/brMbe.jpg

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

[youtube]dcIUrA68_JU[/youtube]

You bastard, Elevatorguy.

You should apologize!

franc

Post by franc »

Mykeru wrote:That topic? Imagine it's a swastika. No, really, just for the sake of this analogy, imagine that that long, boring, swirling turd of a topic that no one actually gave a fuck about was a symbol of the Third Reich, okay?

It's like this:
And it's resurrection -

[youtube]NRweyGHJ3bc[/youtube]

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

franc wrote:
Mykeru wrote:That topic? Imagine it's a swastika. No, really, just for the sake of this analogy, imagine that that long, boring, swirling turd of a topic that no one actually gave a fuck about was a symbol of the Third Reich, okay?

It's like this:
And it's resurrection -

[youtube]NRweyGHJ3bc[/youtube]
Whaaaaat....... Weird but epic video.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

BarnOwl wrote:Another irony-meter exploded here. From Popehat, via B&W:
But they reject that inheritance, choosing instead a life of petty bureaucratism and insipid, infantilizing "civility." Offered an opportunity to treat both speakers and listeners as adults, they treat them as children instead — children whose words must be curtailed until they do not offend even the most intolerant and overly sensitive child in the class.

A nation run by the Swifts, Daveys, Silcocks,and Joneses of the world will be weak and dull-witted and crabbed and pointless. Such people exist in every place; it's up to us whether we will put up with them or call them out. I prefer calling them out. So write about things like this. Help shine a light on the Swifts and Daveys and Silcocks and Joneses and their censorious twatwafflery. Write them and express yourself — in a civil and non-harassing manner, please.

Don't let idiocy like this go without comment, until it becomes the norm. Don't let your home become a place where the petty and the wicked use "blasphemy" and "offense" as an excuse to silence dissent. Fight back.
Use "offense" to silence dissent? Who would do that? WHO??
twatwafflery? :o

So when you are on Ophelia Benson's side of the argument there is no problem using the word "twat".
We've seen that before - Ophelia has no problem with Rebecca who uses the word freely and with Rhys Morgan's use of "cunt".
Let anyone else use it, however and its exhibit A in the great misogyny trial.
Then it's sexist.

At least she's consistent with being inconsistent.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

It's just so sad that Watson and her brave colleagues have to endure repeated attempts to threaten and troll them into silence. I marvel at their ability to soldier on and travel to conventions for their speaking and partying engagements. Perhaps it's the staunch support of fellow social justice warriors, who take time off from their demanding scientific research and education jobs, which keeps the movement going strong. /sarcasm

Excerpts from the CSIcon schedule:

Thursday Oct 25
6:00 PM
Opening Reception & Remarks (cash bar) with Ronald A. Lindsay, Kendrick Frazier, and Barry Karr
7:00—9:00 PM
Skeptics’ Guide to the Universe: Live Broadcast! with Steven Novella, Bob Novella, Rebecca Watson, Evan Bernstein, and Jay Novella

Friday Oct 26
11:15—11:50 AM
PZ Myers
11:50—12:30 PM
The Science of Ghosts with Joe Nickell
5:15—6:15 PM
Discussion of CSI Roadtrip with Richard Wiseman, Jon Ronson, and Rebecca Watson
7:00—8:30 PM
Outdoor Courtyard Barbeque (cash bar)
9:00 PM
Halloween Costume Party with Live Music, Moonshine Tasting, and MC Rebecca Watson

Wow, I'm so glad that my recent grant review trip wasn't packed with demanding activities like that! I would have been completely exhausted.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Dick Strawkins wrote: twatwafflery? :o

So when you are on Ophelia Benson's side of the argument there is no problem using the word "twat".
We've seen that before - Ophelia has no problem with Rebecca who uses the word freely and with Rhys Morgan's use of "cunt".
Then it's sexist.

Twatwafflery - the "wafflery" part makes it acceptable and droll.

Twatwatsonery would be totes misogynistic, however.

mikelf

Post by mikelf »

franc wrote:Social contracts are what bind us together in what we call communities. To piss on these social contracts and then claim to want to help your fellow man whenever possible is just... It leaves me speechless. I do not see any difference between that and the sociopathy of SulkyAmy easing her soul by making trivial donations from her retard jewellery to whatever pop cause of the day. "Cognitive dissonance" doesn't even scratch the surface.
Whenever I see someone making a point of how they don't subscribe to societal norms, I can't help but think they see themselves as some latter day James Dean. Unfortunately, this is how I see them>

[youtube]mKLizztikRk[/youtube]

I suppose that makes me hopelessly square and lowbrow all at the same time.

mikelf

Post by mikelf »

BarnOwl wrote:It's just so sad that Watson and her brave colleagues have to endure repeated attempts to threaten and troll them into silence. I marvel at their ability to soldier on and travel to conventions for their speaking and partying engagements. Perhaps it's the staunch support of fellow social justice warriors, who take time off from their demanding scientific research and education jobs, which keeps the movement going strong. /sarcasm

Thursday Oct 25
Opening Reception & Remarks (cash bar) with Ronald A. Lindsay, Kendrick Frazier, and Barry Karr
Skeptics’ Guide to the Universe: Live Broadcast! with Steven Novella, Bob Novella, Rebecca Watson, Evan Bernstein, and Jay Novella

Friday Oct 26
PZ Myers
Halloween Costume Party with Live Music, Moonshine Tasting, and MC Rebecca Watson

Wow, I'm so glad that my recent grant review trip wasn't packed with demanding activities like that! I would have been completely exhausted.
ZOMG! Cash bar?!?!??? The horrible flaunting of economic privilege! How will they ever survive?

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

BarnOwl wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote: twatwafflery? :o

Then it's sexist.

Twatwafflery - the "wafflery" part makes it acceptable and droll.

Twatwatsonery would be totes misogynistic, however.
That sounds like a scientific hypothesis that could possibly be falsified.

Who volunteers to venture onto the latest 'Butterflies and Wheels' thread to ask:

"What sort of twatwafflery is this"? :whistle:

franc

Post by franc »

Tigzy wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote: ROFLMAO!!!! I love NoelPlum99, I swear!
I like the fact that it's the Prune calling Mr Plum a shit.
Mr. Plum has arrived at the conclusion most here did a year ago - ridicule is the only remaining response.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

mikelf wrote:
Whenever I see someone making a point of how they don't subscribe to societal norms, I can't help but think they see themselves as some latter day James Dean. Unfortunately, this is how I see them>

[youtube]mKLizztikRk[/youtube]

I suppose that makes me hopelessly square and lowbrow all at the same time.
An expansion on the PeeWee/rebel theme.
Seems like it could be a meme.
[youtube]z1Sh9tyhO8M[/youtube]

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

mikelf wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:It's just so sad that Watson and her brave colleagues have to endure repeated attempts to threaten and troll them into silence. I marvel at their ability to soldier on and travel to conventions for their speaking and partying engagements. Perhaps it's the staunch support of fellow social justice warriors, who take time off from their demanding scientific research and education jobs, which keeps the movement going strong. /sarcasm

Thursday Oct 25

Friday Oct 26
PZ Myers

ZOMG! Cash bar?!?!??? The horrible flaunting of economic privilege! How will they ever survive?

Well, it is a CSI conference.
They know Rebecca, they're not going to have an open bar - haven't you seen that episode of 'The Simpsons' where Homer was allowed into the All-You-Can-Eat seafood buffet? :shock:

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Rebecca Watson wrote:After all, it seemed rather obvious to me that if your goal is to get sex or even just companionship, the very worst way to go about attaining that goal is to attend a conference, listen to a woman speak for 12 hours about how uncomfortable she is being sexualized at conferences, wait for her to express a desire to go to sleep, follow her into an isolated space, and then suggest she go back to your hotel room for “coffee,” which, by the way, is available at the hotel bar you just left.
She's still using "sexualized" and "objectified" interchangably. If I were charitable, I'd say she was dumb, but I'm not.
Then women started telling me stories about sexism at skeptic events, experiences that made them uncomfortable enough to never return.
Like this woman?
I made the mistake of voicing my opinion regarding the theme of the Skepchick party at this year’s TAM. I found the idea of a Wild West Bordello hosted by a women’s skepticism group a bit distasteful. I tried to make it clear that I am sex positive, that I think women should have a right to be sexy, but just that I thought it was not an appropriate theme for a party at an event where women are already in the minority.

...(snip)

At any rate, by voicing my concern with this one issue, I stepped over the party line into the “against us” territory. I was labeled a hypocrite, a femi-nazi, a hater, anti-sex, anti-feminist. I was accused of being a troll, a drama queen and worse. Sure, I had a few people who were on my side, or who at least could understand my point of view, but the loudest, most obnoxious voices threw words at me that stung...

http://skeptopia.wordpress.com/2010/06/ ... g-meeting/
That's her legacy -- no one was more responsible for the sexually charged atmosphere at events than Rebecca. And that Edna Mode makeover and blowing po-mo radfem jargon like chaff can't won't that fact.

And while she's endlessly nattering about unwanted sexual come-ons... why the radio silence about Skeptoid's Brian Dunning? Are his experiences not valid?
Brian Dunning wrote:After my wife and I attended our first two TAM conferences, we almost considered never coming back. The reason is that we both received an unusual number of unwanted sexual advances — interestingly, they were all from women (some of whom have personally been quite vocal in criticizing me for what they perceive as sexism pervading skepticism, but we’ll save hypocrisy for a different discussion for a different day).

http://skeptoid.com/blog/2011/07/05/sex ... kepticism/

Notung

Post by Notung »

"Hello, this is Slate calling"
"Hi!"
"We loved your article the other day. The comments section EXPLODED - the punters loved it!"
"Yes, that always happens when I post"
"Right, that's good to hear - we'd like you to write another article for us"
"Wonderful! A sequel! I shall make it a compendium of comments from haters"
"Well, you said you were a skeptic - perhaps you could write one on skepticism? We'd like to hear more about that. Perhaps discuss the philosophical implications of the skeptical epistemology"
"Er..."
"Or talk about epistemic probabilities of supernatural events, given a prima facie natural order?"
"Er..."
"Talk about skepticism?"
"Er..."
"Ok, talk about whatever you want".
"Great! I already have the title: 'Let's Marginalize the Evil Sexists From Our Community'"
"Well, don't write it yet. We'll be in touch... [hangs up]"
"Misogynists."

Mykeru

Lulz with a purpose

Post by Mykeru »

[youtube]PRdxNgXPuzI[/youtube]

And more heads explode...

franc

Post by franc »

mikelf wrote:Whenever I see someone making a point of how they don't subscribe to societal norms, I can't help but think they see themselves as some latter day James Dean. Unfortunately, this is how I see them>
I guess the breakdown is like this -

* social libertarian perspective: I won't screw you while your back is turned and I expect you to not screw me while my back is turned.

* neo-Sadean libertine perspective: I won't screw you while you're back is turned (when there's a fair chance I'll get caught) and I expect you won't screw me while while my back is turned (when there's a fair chance you'll get caught).

For the life of me I cannot see how you can exist in the second world and still claim you are interested in the common good, humanism and helping where help's needed. My head would explode.

welch

Post by welch »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote: Thank you! I'm physically 46, look about 36, and feel about 26 :D
I'll be joining the 46 Club next month. I look 36 in a dim light, through a misty lens. I feel 106 this morning (deadlines, late nights, and early mornings don't help).
Well, my avatar pic is me just a few days ago (with bronchitis and no makeup). My daughters are all excited as they know genes in our family are freaking awesome :D THANK YOU, MOM!
Sorry I'm late on this, (worked 20 hrs on Monday, then 36 across tues/wed, 12-hour nap after, so not real sure what day it is)

HAPPY FUCKING BIRTHDAY. 8-)

welch

Post by welch »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:
mikelf wrote:
Rystefn wrote: Well, suck on this, then: You can trust me when I tell you that if it comes up, I will fuck your girlfriend. Honestly, at this point, I'd do it if she wanted to even if I didn't find her attractive if I knew she was with you. That's a promise.
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/imag ... xNSNYi9geg
Sigh. See you never see a stupid "Wonka" graphic with "Please tell me again how your pussy is tighter than mine". That's just so fucking telling.
I will put myself forward to judge that contest. Purely for scientific purposes mind.
Ugh. Sorry. Just more than a bit tired of the "Wonka please tell me..." stuff. Chalk it up to a few shots of vodka and feeling more than a bit spry ;)
It'd help if the writing in those didn't suck as much as it does

welch

Post by welch »

rayshul wrote:OH FOR GOODNESS SAKE SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT RYSTEFN. HE CAN FUCK WHO HE WANTS WHEN THEY WANT HIM TO AND THAT'S ALL HIS OWN BUSINESS!!!! OH GOSH WHY HAS THIS CONVERSATION NOT GROWN STALE YET AND WHY DOES EVERYONE CARE SO MUCH ABOUT HIS PENIS HOLY FUCKING SHITBALLS.

Also happy birthday Renee, hope you have a wonderful day. Donated to SmileTrain, yey. More smiling babies!!!
AndrewV69 wrote:
rayshul wrote:That is an incredibly odd house now you point it out.
*taps foot*

Still waiting for your creepy jokes, or were you just teasing?
What's the difference between a Cadillac and a pile of dead bodies?

I don't have a Cadillac in my garage.

;)
Why are their dead whores nailed to the walls?

They kept correcting my grammar.

franc

Confessional

Post by franc »

I just opened an old box of books in the basement. On top was...

Carlos Castaneda, The Teachings of Don Juan

Go on, be more embarrassed than thou...

franc

Re: Confessional

Post by franc »

franc wrote:Go on, be more embarrassed than thou...
edit: moi

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

franc wrote:I just opened an old box of books in the basement. On top was...

My brother used to be into Castadena to a point where it was becoming really unhealthy.

What a load of bollocks!

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

franc wrote:Social contracts are what bind us together in what we call communities
Quite.
And promises to others constitute an example of these contracts.
Express, and yes: even implied!
It boils down to:
Do what you say you are going to do.
Should you fail to perform as per promise, don't lie about the reasons for your failure.
Don't try to weasel out.

See: (Be an) Adult 101.
(Irony intended)

Distilled into one word?
Scrupulous HONESTY

franc

Post by franc »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:My brother used to be into Castadena to a point where it was becoming really unhealthy.

What a load of bollocks!
I fucking remember buying that shit too. Prolly 17, first pay check. Sends a chill down my spine the atmosphere virgin minds face. I was in a world that told me buying that was a good idea.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

cunt wrote:Anyone else notice that new little meme they've cooked up in that B&W thread? Apparently putting forward a reasoned argument based on logic, facts and really basic common sense is now "soft trolling".
Soft Trolling (vt)
Comes between "Sockpuppet" and "Sorry"

Soft Trolling (vt) - Innocent questions from atheist Furries.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Michael K Gray wrote:For, (as it comes with the Asperger's territory), I am sarcasm impaired.

Yet, others are able to convey intent to me (with clarity) sans the requirement for smilies:- franc, Sacha, SN etc amongst them.
Is it because they are reflexively familiar with, and at ease with, Aspies?
Well, my doctor will only go so far as to say I have "traits", and an online test gave me a "most likely", and 3 of the surveys I've taken at 23andme (while I'm waiting to get my genes looked at) said that a score like mine is commonly seen in aspergers. As for sarcasm, I like sarcasm but often others don't realize that I'm being sarcastic. I sometimes have to make an effort to enhance those parts more so that they're visible enough that more people get it.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

JackRayner wrote:I think staying relevant as a "youtube atheist" means you've got to display a high degree of reason as well as a thick skin. [Things the FC5 clearly lack.] Christina Rad going RadFem [play on words, I don't quite think she's at the level of wanting to wipe out 90-99% of the male population] pretty much meant the end of that. Might as well quit...
She used to (maybe still does) hang out with the antinatalists on youtube, like Inmendham. So maybe she'd go for 100% reduction of the entire population? They are a really morose bunch who believe the only way to stop suffering is to self exterminate as a species, and other crazy shit. Nihilistic whiners. Inmendham's kind of like their cult leader on youtube. His latest sums up the mindset. Do not watch this if prone to depression. Some good points, but what a downer!:

[youtube]aQGTaim_tRk[/youtube]

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Following in the first world problems footstep of those other videos:

[youtube]nl6R2QFOifU[/youtube]

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

franc wrote:I just opened an old box of books in the basement. On top was...

Sucked in, big time.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Scented Nectar wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:For, (as it comes with the Asperger's territory), I am sarcasm impaired.

Yet, others are able to convey intent to me (with clarity) sans the requirement for smilies:- franc, Sacha, SN etc amongst them.
Well, my doctor will only go so far as to say I have "traits", and an online test gave me a "most likely", and 3 of the surveys I've taken at 23andme (while I'm waiting to get my genes looked at) said that a score like mine is commonly seen in aspergers. As for sarcasm, I like sarcasm but often others don't realize that I'm being sarcastic. I sometimes have to make an effort to enhance those parts more so that they're visible enough that more people get it.
As someone above expressed, I tend to assume that others will "get" the bizarre connections that I make to link the concepts whilst jumping between disparate topics.
My family now know to look for 'hidden' connections, as do my smarter friends, but as for your average Josephine? Forget it!

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

It's interesting to test assertions against the available evidence.

From RW's Slate article:
In June of 2011, I was on a panel at an atheist conference in Dublin. The topic was “Communicating Atheism,” and I was excited to join Richard Dawkins, one of the most famous atheists in the world, with several documentaries and bestselling books to his name. Dawkins used his time to criticize Phil Plait, an astronomer who the year prior had given a talk in which he argued for skeptics to be kinder.
[youtube]ae-12hCwJYM[/youtube]
I used my time to talk about what it’s like for me to communicate atheism online, and how being a woman might affect the response I receive, as in rape threats and other sexual comments.
[youtube]cOVN-rjQ3sg[/youtube]

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Oooops!

Apoligies everyone.

TRIGGER WARNING! :oops:

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

and sorry for the bad spelign

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Michael K Gray wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:

As someone above expressed, I tend to assume that others will "get" the bizarre connections that I make to link the concepts whilst jumping between disparate topics.
My family now know to look for 'hidden' connections, as do my smarter friends, but as for your average Josephine? Forget it!
It helps seeing your stuff written out rather than spoken. I can stop and take a moment to get it if needed, unlike spoken words which are long gone and replaced by others.

AnonymousCowherd

Post by AnonymousCowherd »

Rystefn wrote:
If it makes you feel better, I 100% agree that Poms do not count as dogs. Frankly, anything smaller than a Labrador is suspect.
I'm sure the good folk of England will be pleased to hear that. Not that there's anything wrong with dogs you understand, some of my best friends...etc etc.

Mind you Otto von Bismark disagreed. Didn't think the whole of the Balkans were worth the bones of a single Pomeranian Genadier. Though what a Pomeranian would be doing with a grenade, I have no idea. Protecting his bones (and the rest of his dinner) I suppose.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

AnonymousCowherd wrote:Mind you Otto von Bismark disagreed. Didn't think the whole of the Balkans were worth the bones of a single Pomeranian Genadier.
Perhaps he meant to say "Genderqueer"?
You know, those who have no Balkans, and hence no boners.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

comslave wrote: I've put this out there before, but bears repeating:
Rebecca Watson: College student. Receives rape threats, too scared to go to TAM (a 3 day event).

Jessica Ahlquist: High school student. Receives CONFIRMED rape threats, attends school every fucking day.

How soon can we have Jessica replace Rebecca at all the meetings?
Important to point that out.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

franc wrote:
I guess Oolon still thinks he's one step ahead...
I guess Oolon still thinks anyone gives a shit about his crap...

AnonymousCowherd

Michael K Gray wrote:
AnonymousCowherd wrote:Mind you Otto von Bismark disagreed. Didn't think the whole of the Balkans were worth the bones of a single Pomeranian Genadier.
Perhaps he meant to say "Genderqueer"?
You know, those who have no Balkans, and hence no boners.
You may be right. I believe that in German the words are identical.

(At least it's not bad French, Phil! The Boche are fair game, noch).

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

Meanwhile on Atheism+ the furore over someone daring to set up an A+ FB group continues. Now the scope has shifted to how that poster was treated. It continues to bemuse me, but the poster I have linked to acknowledges the OP's treatment was out of order; unusual by A+ standards.

Michael K Gray

Angels's Glossary

Post by Michael K Gray »

A partial taster of the entries so far, an entrée, should you prefer:
(Constructive comments welcome, of coarse!)
Bare in mind that speeling eros have yet to be proofred.

1984 - A+Theism's Operations Manual
A+Scribe - A covert group of Intellectual Property Rights vandals & theives.
Aardvaark - Rape
Abuse - I didn't report my criminal abuse, but instead made a public blog post about it because...??
Academic - Anyone who has completed more than one colouring book. Excludes those who have Academic Qualifications in the hard sciences.
Activism - Typing whiny mis-spelt grammar-free incoherent faith-based infantile truculent rants that only your equally socially-damaged fellow inmates partly agree with because they experienced a mass-delusion that you MUST have typed something of great intellgence, but assume that they must have been too dumb to garner your 8yr old internet brilliance.
Not "Doing" anything in the real world, at all, (of course)
Amerocentrism - You mean there are places other than the mighty USA??
I must learn to read one day. But not now. I just got another AWESOME Tweet from someone who is slightly famous! Swoon!
Anything and Everything - A few dogma-limited things & a lot of nothing at all. We Lied again.
Atheism - Lack of a belief in Equity Feminism
Atheism Plus - No one knows what the fuck it is. Nor what it isn't. But we are working on it. At least we have the logo. Which we stupidly stole, but won't admit to that crime. Or *any* crime for that matter. And as for the first logo that clearly stated that we were A+Theism well, even as the only thing that we had at the start of our cult was a complete ovaries-up, not bad for a bunch of retards in their step-mother's basements, eh?
Assault - Attacking someone with photons
B - A buzzing thing.
Bad Words - See Curse Words
Backchannel - A no-holds-barred ragged Grade-4 playground gossip-club.
BDSM - Something that my uncle wants me to try. Erm: Bacon, Dill, Salad & Mayonnaise perhaps? His mouth *was* watering when he discussed it.
Bigotry - A convenient all-purpose cudgel.
Book-Burning - What we do to the utterly Inhuman Richard Dawkins after his "Dear Muslima" heart-breaking crime against humanity. But would never burn the amazing non-sexist nudie-calendars sold by Skepchick for profit.
Buzzphrases (meaningless) - social justice discourse; check your privilege; Your concern is noted, okay?; the money shot; Protip; 'splainy; Lie; we need to figure out exactly what we're going to do;
C - Big blue wobbly thing that mermaids live in.
Cats - Official Gods of Social Justice Warriors
Cats+ - Official Gods of Social Justice Warriors + Smelly Basements
Ceepolk - Speshul Skilz: Self-Pity Power, with Whiny machine-gun formulaic posting abilities. Avatar: Eggshells, walking on. Bullshit Catchphrase so beloved of faceless cowardly anonymous internet warriors: "I have to put myself in danger!!". Favourite Number: Elebenty!!11+IV! Favourite Colour: Brown, with tongue spots.
Censorship - What other people do. We call it "free speech", by banning unspeak.
Check your Privilege - I do not have an answer to your reasonable enquiry.
Chill-girl - Adult Female
Citation Needed - The A+Theism Squawk
Clue - WTF is one of those?
Coherent - When a flat-mate listens to your private Skype calls
Consistency - Returned Error 101: Not in A+Theism vocabulary. Check your speeling, then check your privilege
Debate - We tell you what to think. But in deliberately confused terms so that we can always say that you just don't get it, even when you repeat verbatim what we have told you.
Dictionary - An evil rape manual written by the Elders of the Patriarchy. All of its entries are wrong, except where we agree with them, but we won't tell you what they are because they change like a whore's knickers, depending on what lie we are trying push at any time.
Diversity - people from all walks of life agreeing about exactly the same things
Double Down - Doubling down means "you didn't back down to my bullying you. Please back down soon as I have no substantive arguments"
Dungeon - The "Naughty Step" for adults.
E - An ejaculation.
Edited - [Edited to remove swears so it doesn't look like I'm yelling at people in the Education forum. Sorry, I naturally swear a lot.]
Education - Soviet Gulag. Room 101 with 1000V testicle electrodes and Celine Dion on an endless loop until you agree to konform with the A+Theism dogma.
Ego - Is a dirty word. All of us have had our Egos surgically resected by male Alien anal probes.
F - Off
Fatwa - A+Theism Fatwas are like, totally DIFFERNET from Islam Fatwas because, erm because... Well! They just ARE, so there! (See rhetoric)
Fault - An attribute that belongs to everyone else but us
Females - Helpless neotonous human beings who need to be told what to do, how to think, how to dress, how to behave, and how to speak by the Feminarchy of A+Theism immoderators.
First world problems! - Dear Muslima was a specific case of this. In short: "This more severe problem exists, therefore we should ignore your problems!" Which is foolish: Murder is a more severe crime than assault, but you don't see our justice system exclusively punishing murderers and letting those who assault people walk free, do you? It's the same here. We can work to solve less serious problems at the same time as we work on more serious ones.
Free Speech - Free speech means you can say what you want without facing government censorship. It means you can yell on a street corner until your vocal cords give out. It does not mean I have to give you a soapbox to stand on and a megaphone to ampliphy your voice, nor does it mean that I have to let you into my living room to yell for as long as you feel like yelling. If you want to yell about something, get your own soap box and yell about it. Or yell about it in your own living rom.
Gender - We get to decide.
Gossip - See Backchannel
Grammar - Youse parent's' mothe'rs wot is it is.
Greg Laden - Totally awesome Feminist, and top rank Scientist!
Greta Christina - Two-faced traitorous bitch.
Group-think - We are ALL individuals! (THIS!!! Sooo much!!)
Harassment - reading a blog and disagreeing with it
Hopefully - An adverb that we insist on using as a "sentence adverb". See Grammar
I - It is all about ME!!!!
Intent - Indistinguishable from Magic, unless A+ pronounce it to be otherwise. (See Fatwa, and see every other fucking entry here)
Intersectional - A meningless Feminista all-purpose put-down. Designed to frighten weak intellects into assuming that one's raving-mad vacuous interlocutor actually has a valid argument.
K - Mmm'?
KNOWSPLAINING!!! - When someone shows their privilege by actually knowing something and fails to check that privileged.
LGBT - Lettuce, Gherkin, Bacon & Tomato.
Literature - Some fucking things called books in an offensive patirachal building called a Libratary or something. I hear that most of their Libertarians are females taken as work slaves.
M - A non male name
Matt Dillahunty - From Hero to Xero
Membership Criteria
Must be a citizen of the USA (Aka the WORLD!)
Must be mentally unstable, preferably clinically insane.
Must subsrcibe to our Jacobean mishumanist and misandronist dogma without question for eternity.
Must claim to be a potential rapist (But only if a male)
(See Free Speech)
Metaphor - A big word. It has a real meaning, but that escapes those A+Theister imbeciles who employ it.
NateHevens - A+Theism's pet SOOPER-GENIUS, with a greater soaring scientific intellect than Einstein, superior oratory than Christopher Hitchens, wittier than Oscar Wilde, and with bigger tits than Dolly Parton.
operationalize - I have no idea, and neither does the author. See Poseur.
Oppression - Is everywhere. Poor poor pitiful me.
Patriarchy Hurts Men Too - See You Just Don't Get It
People of color - Weasel words that we think will excuse us from distinguishing we, (privileged & exclusively White Members of A+Theism), from dividning the globe into two categories: White & Non-White, because we have not actually said "Black" or "Yellow". Not patronsing at all.
Pharyngula - 1) The miraculous and holy birthplace of our Lord & Saviour!
2) Preferred hangout of the most awesome intellectual & knowledgable calm mass-debaters on the planet.
Philosophy - Mental Masturbation. No wonder it is our second favourite hobby!
Plagiarism - Worshipping the Black Death.
Poseur - A Night of the round table who has been court lying.
Privilege - having a penis
PZ Myers - Big Bother
Quote-mining - Repeating the fuck-ups that we say, verbatim, in full and in context. With date-stamped references, links and screen-shots. Totally unfair!
Rational Thoughts - Caused by a bizarre lack of insanity. Sanity is a clear sign of an oppressive rapist!
Real World/Real Life - An illusion caused by a lack of alcohol.
Rebecca Watson - The Goddess of Sociopathy, Princess of Psychopathy, Sultana of Slack!
Rhetoric - Any old shit that dribbles out of the corners of our mouths.
Rhys - Once not a cunt for saying cunt, but now a cunt for being a total cunt about us. (See suppressive person)
Robust - What? To the fainting couch!
Rule Zero - Do not try to cleverly interpret rules listed here for your own benefit. These rules are general guidelines and are very flexible.
Religion - What we truly are.
S&M - Sam and Max
Safe Word - "Misogyny"
Safe Space - In Safe Space, no-one can hear the mockery
Science - Like cool, and stuff. I is a REEL scientist 'cos I skimmed the first paragraph of an online article wot quoted Scientific Merkin, or Naychure, or summink. Dinnt understand the werdz, like. But hey:- is that a bird out the window?
Social Justice - Whinging, but in writing!
Sockpuppet - Any poster who does not power-genuflect to the idles of the mighty A+Theism Moderators.
Soft-trolling (vt) - Innocent questions from atheist Furries.
Sorry! - Eh?
Stalker - A casual viewer of web sites.
Stalking - reading a blog, disagreeing with it and blogging about it
Statistics - Numbers-n-stuff that support our dogma
Stuffed Toys - Happy Armies of Social Warriors for Truth, Freedom, and the Mexican Wave.
Strategy - An afterthought.
Stupid Names - A Shibboleth of those allowed into our special Tree-Fort! Must be infantile, agressive, and bizarrely self-aggrandising, in a comic-book fantasy style.
Stupid Sigs - A tediously repeated bland page-and-half worth of unoriginal quoted bollocks, the size of which ALWAYS exceeds the actual post content. See Mandatory.
Supportive - Agreeing with the current fashion of the hour.
Suppressive Person - Those evil baby-buggerers who even mention the Slymepit, let alone those depraved enough to actually post there!
Tone - An abbreviation for Anthony.
University - Google/Yahoo/Bing/Pub mates/Gossip
USA - See World, the
Violence - A T-Shirt
World, the - Continental North America, (obviously excluding Hawaii, Puerto Rico, etc. But including Israel and the State of Ceepolk's Mum's basement)
Yay!!! - See "THIS^^!!, So MUCH!!" childish AOLer pantywetting tree-house mindless groupthink. That the commenter was not able to come up with the previous load of vacuous tripe is nothing to be proud of, in the brain-box department.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

In her Slate article Rebecca Watson writes:
Meanwhile, other skeptical women are being bullied out of the spotlight and even out of their homes. My fellow writer on Skepchick, Amy Davis Roth, moved after her home address was posted on a forum dedicated to hating feminist skeptics.
I'm skeptical about this claim. Is Amy Roth really that stupid? Did she actually move because her home address, which anyone could have found easily with Google, was posted on a forum? If so, why? Did she make surlyramics of the prophet Mohammed?

This dubious example of a woman bullied out of her home is then turned into "skeptical women are being bullied out (...) of their homes." That looks like an application of propaganda 101: how to turn an unverifiable anecdote into a definite case with multiple instances. Call me hyperskepchickal.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

cunt wrote:Anyone else notice that new little meme they've cooked up in that B&W thread? Apparently putting forward a reasoned argument based on logic, facts and really basic common sense is now "soft trolling".
Kinda like soft porn?

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

ReneeHendricks wrote:Kinda like soft porn?
Yes.
Yes, I do.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Jan Steen wrote:In her Slate article Rebecca Watson writes:
Meanwhile, other skeptical women are being bullied out of the spotlight and even out of their homes. My fellow writer on Skepchick, Amy Davis Roth, moved after her home address was posted on a forum dedicated to hating feminist skeptics.
I'm skeptical about this claim. Is Amy Roth really that stupid? Did she actually move because her home address, which anyone could have found easily with Google, was posted on a forum? If so, why? Did she make surlyramics of the prophet Mohammed?

This dubious example of a woman bullied out of her home is then turned into "skeptical women are being bullied out (...) of their homes." That looks like an application of propaganda 101: how to turn an unverifiable anecdote into a definite case with multiple instances. Call me hyperskepchickal.
I imagine that Playdough Lee Roth is of such an histrionic nature that she would purposefully move her residence simply to 'make a point', as infantile as that tantrum might be.
She is not a socially mature person, from all indications.
When I expect her to behave in the manner of a spoiled 6 year-old, I have never been disappointed.

I would not put it past her.

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

I wouldn't be surprised if this is later amended. "Well, yes, it's true that she was already looking for a new place when the horrific incident with Vacula took place. But that's irrelevant, because since she moved out after that occurred, what I said is technically correct."

Seems like the kind of thing she would do.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

welch wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote: Thank you! I'm physically 46, look about 36, and feel about 26 :D
I'll be joining the 46 Club next month. I look 36 in a dim light, through a misty lens. I feel 106 this morning (deadlines, late nights, and early mornings don't help).
Well, my avatar pic is me just a few days ago (with bronchitis and no makeup). My daughters are all excited as they know genes in our family are freaking awesome :D THANK YOU, MOM!
Sorry I'm late on this, (worked 20 hrs on Monday, then 36 across tues/wed, 12-hour nap after, so not real sure what day it is)

HAPPY FUCKING BIRTHDAY. 8-)
Thank you!

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Jonathan wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if this is later amended. "Well, yes, it's true that she was already looking for a new place when the horrific incident with Vacula took place. But that's irrelevant, because since she moved out after that occurred, what I said is technically correct."

Could also be that her Ramics sells plummeted after her "crying over a shirt" fiasco, and she can't afford the rent anymore. Doesn't look like a cheap place to live...

AnonymousCowherd

Re: Angels's Glossary

Michael K Gray wrote:A partial taster of the entries so far, an entrée, should you prefer:
(Constructive comments welcome, of coarse!)
Bare in mind that speeling eros have yet to be proofred.

Assault - Attacking someone with photons
Don't laugh. Some may recall poor PZ having to face the hideous terror of the unknown that might be put in his pocket at any moment while he was in the jurisdiction that has the following definition of assault (one of several, mind you);
(2) In subsection (1), assault means the direct or indirect application of
force by a person to the body of, or to clothing or equipment worn by, another
person where the application of force is-

(a) without lawful excuse; and
(b) with intent to inflict or being reckless as to the infliction of
bodily injury, pain, discomfort, damage, insult or deprivation of
liberty-

and results in the infliction of any such consequence (whether or not the
consequence inflicted is the consequence intended or foreseen).

(3) In subsection (2)-

application of force includes-

(a) application of heat, light, electric current or any other form of
energy; and

(b) application of matter in solid, liquid or gaseous form.
So in Victoria, OZ, you can (in theory) be charged for shining a light on someone's clothes (even when they aren't wearing them, if you believe Justicar's argument about this back at ERV).

Even better, you can assault someone's clothes by farting at them. Your victim's pants probably make a poor witness though (even if your own are confessing the sin to anyone with a nose), so maybe difficult to get plod to wheel you before the beak on that one.

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Jonathan wrote:

Could also be that her Ramics sells plummeted after her "crying over a shirt" fiasco, and she can't afford the rent anymore. Doesn't look like a cheap place to live...
Credit where it's due, I'm impressed she made enough from home-made jewellery to be able to afford a home like that in the first place. Her work can be charitably described as average at best, yet she must have been selling a fair quantity of it.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Jonathan wrote:
*snip*

Credit where it's due, I'm impressed she made enough from home-made jewellery to be able to afford a home like that in the first place. Her work can be charitably described as average at best, yet she must have been selling a fair quantity of it.
Could also be that she's privileged in the "daddy's money" department. Nothing wrong with that, but please don't scream "oppressed" when you live in such a place.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

That is going to give me nightmares.

Michael K Gray

Re: Angels's Glossary

Post by Michael K Gray »

AnonymousCowherd wrote:So in Victoria, OZ, you can (in theory) be charged for shining a light on someone's clothes
Quite understandable, if one is directing synchrotron radiation in the gamma-ray spectrum at their Skepchick T-Shirt!
Well spotted.
AnonymousCowherd wrote:(even when they aren't wearing them, if you believe Justicar's argument about this back at ERV).
I do not believe his propositions.
Not for one moment.
He was so full of excreta that a Saint Hitchens' quote is applicable:
If you gave him an enema, you could bury him in a matchbox
Justicar is full of it, even when he is between meth binges.
AnonymousCowherd wrote:Even better, you can assault someone's clothes by farting at them. Your victim's pants probably make a poor witness though (even if your own are confessing the sin to anyone with a nose), so maybe difficult to get plod to wheel you before the beak on that one.
But that is the long-standing existing tort of "noisome trade".
That is like, well prosecutable, bro!

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Jonathan wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if this is later amended. "Well, yes, it's true that she was already looking for a new place when the horrific incident with Vacula took place. But that's irrelevant, because since she moved out after that occurred, what I said is technically correct."

But that won't fly, because RW was clearly using Surly Amy as an example of a woman who was bullied out of her home. And then extrapolated from there that multiple women were being bullied out of their homes, which would indeed be shocking if true.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

...multiple skeptical women, I should have written. 'Normal' people, without internet personalities, are being bullied out of their homes by neighbours and stalkers all the time, of course.

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

Jan Steen wrote:
Jonathan wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if this is later amended. "Well, yes, it's true that she was already looking for a new place when the horrific incident with Vacula took place. But that's irrelevant, because since she moved out after that occurred, what I said is technically correct."

But that won't fly, because RW was clearly using Surly Amy as an example of a woman who was bullied out of her home. And then extrapolated from there that multiple women were being bullied out of their homes, which would indeed be shocking if true.
Has consistency ever been her strong point?

/cynicism

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

Shit, I didn't know you guys are so dedicated to hate. Now I feel guilty just for being here. I'll go back to posting at A+ forums, where no one ever expresses hate for those with whom they disagree.

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

I'm skeptical about this claim.
Correcting quote fail above.

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

Fucking hell, the RW quote won't show up. Maybe the forum server has become self-aware and somewhat editorial to boot.