Periodic Table of Swearing

Continuation of the post at Abbie Smith's ERV blog (http://scienceblogs.com/erv/)

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Jonathan » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:21 am  •  [Post 21711]

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Jonathan wrote:
Jan Steen wrote:In her Slate article Rebecca Watson writes:

Meanwhile, other skeptical women are being bullied out of the spotlight and even out of their homes. My fellow writer on Skepchick, Amy Davis Roth, moved after her home address was posted on a forum dedicated to hating feminist skeptics.


I'm skeptical about this claim. Is Amy Roth really that stupid? Did she actually move because her home address, which anyone could have found easily with Google, was posted on a forum? If so, why? Did she make surlyramics of the prophet Mohammed?

This dubious example of a woman bullied out of her home is then turned into "skeptical women are being bullied out (...) of their homes." That looks like an application of propaganda 101: how to turn an unverifiable anecdote into a definite case with multiple instances. Call me hyperskepchickal.


I wouldn't be surprised if this is later amended. "Well, yes, it's true that she was already looking for a new place when the horrific incident with Vacula took place. But that's irrelevant, because since she moved out after that occurred, what I said is technically correct."

Seems like the kind of thing she would do.


Could also be that her Ramics sells plummeted after her "crying over a shirt" fiasco, and she can't afford the rent anymore. Doesn't look like a cheap place to live...


Credit where it's due, I'm impressed she made enough from home-made jewellery to be able to afford a home like that in the first place. Her work can be charitably described as average at best, yet she must have been selling a fair quantity of it.
User avatar
Jonathan
.
.
 
Posts: 422
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:59 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Phil_Giordana_FCD » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:32 am  •  [Post 21712]

Jonathan wrote:
*snip*

Credit where it's due, I'm impressed she made enough from home-made jewellery to be able to afford a home like that in the first place. Her work can be charitably described as average at best, yet she must have been selling a fair quantity of it.


Could also be that she's privileged in the "daddy's money" department. Nothing wrong with that, but please don't scream "oppressed" when you live in such a place.
"It is science we are talking about here. It doesn't matter if you like the person making the argument. Sometimes the evidence supports the nice people and sometimes complete bastards are on the correct side of a scientific argument." -Strawkins
User avatar
Phil_Giordana_FCD
.
.
 
Posts: 4951
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:56 am
Location: Nice, France

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby CommanderTuvok » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:36 am  •  [Post 21713]

Pinker wrote:Image

That is going to give me nightmares.
User avatar
CommanderTuvok
.
.
 
Posts: 1484
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:18 pm

Re: Angels's Glossary

Postby Michael K Gray » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:38 am  •  [Post 21714]

AnonymousCowherd wrote:So in Victoria, OZ, you can (in theory) be charged for shining a light on someone's clothes

Quite understandable, if one is directing synchrotron radiation in the gamma-ray spectrum at their Skepchick T-Shirt!
Well spotted.
AnonymousCowherd wrote:(even when they aren't wearing them, if you believe Justicar's argument about this back at ERV).

I do not believe his propositions.
Not for one moment.
He was so full of excreta that a Saint Hitchens' quote is applicable:
If you gave him an enema, you could bury him in a matchbox

Justicar is full of it, even when he is between meth binges.
AnonymousCowherd wrote:Even better, you can assault someone's clothes by farting at them. Your victim's pants probably make a poor witness though (even if your own are confessing the sin to anyone with a nose), so maybe difficult to get plod to wheel you before the beak on that one.

But that is the long-standing existing tort of "noisome trade".
That is like, well prosecutable, bro!
User avatar
Michael K Gray
.
.
 
Posts: 2480
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:04 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Jan Steen » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:48 am  •  [Post 21715]

Jonathan wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if this is later amended. "Well, yes, it's true that she was already looking for a new place when the horrific incident with Vacula took place. But that's irrelevant, because since she moved out after that occurred, what I said is technically correct."

Seems like the kind of thing she would do.


But that won't fly, because RW was clearly using Surly Amy as an example of a woman who was bullied out of her home. And then extrapolated from there that multiple women were being bullied out of their homes, which would indeed be shocking if true.
Fighting hypocrisy since Sun Oct 14, 2012.
User avatar
Jan Steen
.
.
 
Posts: 1913
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:18 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Jan Steen » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:54 am  •  [Post 21716]

...multiple skeptical women, I should have written. 'Normal' people, without internet personalities, are being bullied out of their homes by neighbours and stalkers all the time, of course.
Fighting hypocrisy since Sun Oct 14, 2012.
User avatar
Jan Steen
.
.
 
Posts: 1913
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:18 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Jonathan » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:08 am  •  [Post 21717]

Jan Steen wrote:
Jonathan wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if this is later amended. "Well, yes, it's true that she was already looking for a new place when the horrific incident with Vacula took place. But that's irrelevant, because since she moved out after that occurred, what I said is technically correct."

Seems like the kind of thing she would do.


But that won't fly, because RW was clearly using Surly Amy as an example of a woman who was bullied out of her home. And then extrapolated from there that multiple women were being bullied out of their homes, which would indeed be shocking if true.


Has consistency ever been her strong point?

/cynicism
User avatar
Jonathan
.
.
 
Posts: 422
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:59 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby d4m10n » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:13 am  •  [Post 21718]

Jan Steen wrote:In her Slate article Rebecca Watson writes:

Meanwhile, other skeptical women are being bullied out of the spotlight and even out of their homes. My fellow writer on Skepchick, Amy Davis Roth, moved after her home address was posted on a forum dedicated to hating feminist skeptics.


Shit, I didn't know you guys are so dedicated to hate. Now I feel guilty just for being here. I'll go back to posting at A+ forums, where no one ever expresses hate for those with whom they disagree.
"Exemplum de simia, quae, quando plus ascendit, plus apparent posteriora eius." - Bonaventure

Blog, Twitter, Facebook, Google Plus
User avatar
d4m10n
.
.
 
Posts: 515
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:17 am
Location: OKC

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby d4m10n » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:15 am  •  [Post 21719]

Jan Steen wrote:In her Slate article Rebecca Watson writes:

Meanwhile, other skeptical women are being bullied out of the spotlight and even out of their homes. My fellow writer on Skepchick, Amy Davis Roth, moved after her home address was posted on a forum dedicated to hating feminist skeptics.


I'm skeptical about this claim.


Correcting quote fail above.
"Exemplum de simia, quae, quando plus ascendit, plus apparent posteriora eius." - Bonaventure

Blog, Twitter, Facebook, Google Plus
User avatar
d4m10n
.
.
 
Posts: 515
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:17 am
Location: OKC

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby d4m10n » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:18 am  •  [Post 21720]

Fucking hell, the RW quote won't show up. Maybe the forum server has become self-aware and somewhat editorial to boot.
"Exemplum de simia, quae, quando plus ascendit, plus apparent posteriora eius." - Bonaventure

Blog, Twitter, Facebook, Google Plus
User avatar
d4m10n
.
.
 
Posts: 515
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:17 am
Location: OKC

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Lsuoma » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:22 am  •  [Post 21721]

d4m10n wrote:Shit, I didn't know you guys are so dedicated to hate. Now I feel guilty just for being here. I'll go back to posting at A+ forums, where no one ever expresses hate for those with whom they disagree.

Not hate, laughter. It's not easy to hate when their ridiculous baheviour makes the tears pour down one's cheeks...
Call me old-fashioned, but I like a dump to be as memorable as it is devastating.
User avatar
Lsuoma
Fascist Tit
 
Posts: 4723
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:58 pm
Location: Pacific NW

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Notung » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:22 am  •  [Post 21722]

d4m10n wrote:Shit, I didn't know you guys are so dedicated to hate. Now I feel guilty just for being here. I'll go back to posting at A+ forums, where no one ever expresses hate for those with whom they disagree.


That was one of the big falsehoods in the article. It claims that the hate is one-way, when in fact it has been going both ways.

Actually, I'd say that the worst hate has come from her 'side'. I've seen far more death threats, abuse, etc. from them. Most of the 'abuse' that she manages to quote largely just seems like people joking around, such as that tweet about 'copping a feel'. Their side seems genuinely hateful.
User avatar
Notung
.
.
 
Posts: 604
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:49 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Jonathan » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:23 am  •  [Post 21723]

d4m10n wrote:
Jan Steen wrote:In her Slate article Rebecca Watson writes:

Meanwhile, other skeptical women are being bullied out of the spotlight and even out of their homes. My fellow writer on Skepchick, Amy Davis Roth, moved after her home address was posted on a forum dedicated to hating feminist skeptics.


Shit, I didn't know you guys are so dedicated to hate. Now I feel guilty just for being here. I'll go back to posting at A+ forums, where no one ever expresses hate for those with whom they disagree.


Well maybe you should have spent some time LURKING, then you would understand how things work around here, instead of vomiting your privilege all over our safe space! You are worse than men who stab kittens in the throat!
User avatar
Jonathan
.
.
 
Posts: 422
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:59 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Jan Steen » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:46 am  •  [Post 21724]

Jonathan wrote:
d4m10n wrote:
Jan Steen wrote:In her Slate article Rebecca Watson writes:

Meanwhile, other skeptical women are being bullied out of the spotlight and even out of their homes. My fellow writer on Skepchick, Amy Davis Roth, moved after her home address was posted on a forum dedicated to hating feminist skeptics.


Shit, I didn't know you guys are so dedicated to hate. Now I feel guilty just for being here. I'll go back to posting at A+ forums, where no one ever expresses hate for those with whom they disagree.


Well maybe you should have spent some time LURKING, then you would understand how things work around here, instead of vomiting your privilege all over our safe space! You are worse than men who stab kittens in the throat!


d4m10n needs to be re-educated. Suitable accommodation is being contructed as we speak.
Fighting hypocrisy since Sun Oct 14, 2012.
User avatar
Jan Steen
.
.
 
Posts: 1913
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:18 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Jonathan » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:54 am  •  [Post 21725]

Jan Steen wrote:
Jonathan wrote:
d4m10n wrote:
Jan Steen wrote:In her Slate article Rebecca Watson writes:

Meanwhile, other skeptical women are being bullied out of the spotlight and even out of their homes. My fellow writer on Skepchick, Amy Davis Roth, moved after her home address was posted on a forum dedicated to hating feminist skeptics.


Shit, I didn't know you guys are so dedicated to hate. Now I feel guilty just for being here. I'll go back to posting at A+ forums, where no one ever expresses hate for those with whom they disagree.


Well maybe you should have spent some time LURKING, then you would understand how things work around here, instead of vomiting your privilege all over our safe space! You are worse than men who stab kittens in the throat!


d4m10n needs to be re-educated. Suitable accommodation is being contructed as we speak.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYDkGJmSfy0

(The secret of embedding videos eludes me.
User avatar
Jonathan
.
.
 
Posts: 422
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:59 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Dilurk » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:01 am  •  [Post 21726]

Jonathan wrote:
Jan Steen wrote:In her Slate article Rebecca Watson writes:

Meanwhile, other skeptical women are being bullied out of the spotlight and even out of their homes. My fellow writer on Skepchick, Amy Davis Roth, moved after her home address was posted on a forum dedicated to hating feminist skeptics.


I'm skeptical about this claim. Is Amy Roth really that stupid? Did she actually move because her home address, which anyone could have found easily with Google, was posted on a forum? If so, why? Did she make surlyramics of the prophet Mohammed?

This dubious example of a woman bullied out of her home is then turned into "skeptical women are being bullied out (...) of their homes." That looks like an application of propaganda 101: how to turn an unverifiable anecdote into a definite case with multiple instances. Call me hyperskepchickal.


I wouldn't be surprised if this is later amended. "Well, yes, it's true that she was already looking for a new place when the horrific incident with Vacula took place. But that's irrelevant, because since she moved out after that occurred, what I said is technically correct."

I'd laugh and laugh if she was moving back in with mummy.

Seems like the kind of thing she would do.
User avatar
Dilurk
.
.
 
Posts: 1215
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:04 pm

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Scented Nectar » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:12 am  •  [Post 21727]

Jonathan, here is the secret handshake, I mean the secret YouTube Embedding Tutorial.

A youtube video url will come in two different types. The kind with the video code at the end, and the kind with the code in the middle. You need to strip off this extra stuff before putting the code (alone) between the youtube tags.

Here are two different urls going to the same video:
Code: Select all
code at the end:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1IxOS4VzKM

and code in the middle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1IxOS4VzKM&feature=my_favorites&list=FLGfAOgQRByLDu5xejATsjDw

Always get rid of everything up to and including, the first (or only) equal sign "=".
The stuff after it is the code, but note in the second example, there is extra stuff after the code.
The extra stuff after always begins with an "&" followed by whatever extra stuff.
Strip off the &'s and the extra stuff following at the end.

To sum it up, just keep the part between the first "=" and the first "&" (if there is one).

We are left with just the code: e1IxOS4VzKM so...
Code: Select all
Now put that inside youtube tags:
[youtube]e1IxOS4VzKM[/youtube]

The above tag and code will become this when posted:

User avatar
Scented Nectar
.
.
 
Posts: 2463
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:45 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby justinvacula » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:23 am  •  [Post 21728]

Stephanie is such a trip - apparently, since Rebecca didn't tell ftb that she was out to destroy TAM, she wasn't...

Wait a sec, I thought intent didn't matter? When I had posted Amy's address here and had said that my intentions were not malicious, I was utterly dismissed by ftb bloggers. Apparently now, because Rebecca had no intent -- as Stephanie says -- she's clear of any charges regardless of what happened as a result of what she wrote. Also, Rebecca didn't intend to boycott Dawkins as she said (regardless of what was written) so she's clear there.

More double standards/different standards for different people. That's skepticism there...

...and lol at Rebecca not complaining much. Never mind the speeches she hijacks to talk about her alleged 'rape threats' and whatever else which has nothing to do with the title of the speech. Why in the world are people still inviting her to speak?

"They told you not to yield to temptation, but offered you only hypocrisy and ruin."
Blog
Facebook
Twitter

“Oh yes please tell me your BIG IMPORTANT WHITE ABLE NEUROTYPICAL CISMAN OPINIONS about these things.” - Kassiane
User avatar
justinvacula
.
.
 
Posts: 1676
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:48 pm
Location: Northeastern Pennsylvania

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Jonathan » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:24 am  •  [Post 21729]

Thank you Scented!
User avatar
Jonathan
.
.
 
Posts: 422
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:59 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby virtual joe » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:42 am  •  [Post 21730]

Just popped in to alert y'all to a post today by Ed Brayton- http://freethoughtblogs.com/dispatches/ ... -thinking/ (apologies if this is already discussed up thread).

Here's a snippet;
I would submit that we do much the same thing when evaluating ideas, claims and arguments. If we hear those ideas expressed by someone we have already determined that we agree with, we are much more likely to agree with them without actually thinking about it. Conversely, if we hear those ideas expressed by someone we disagree with, we are much more likely to reject them out of hand, without giving them any due consideration. This is why what I often call the argumentum ad labelum is so common — it’s a means of dismissing a claim or argument rather than engaging it.


He then goes on to say
...being relatively more rational than someone who is highly irrational does not mean that we are avoiding the kinds of easy, tribalistic thinking noted above that undermine our ability to think critically, especially on issues that we are passionate about. None of us can avoid them entirely, I imagine, but as rationalists and skeptics we should try our best to cultivate habits of thinking that help us avoid them as much as possible. And when someone points them out to us, we should react reasonably rather than defensively.


So Ed is lamenting (other) people rejecting the arguments of others simply because of who the arguer is. Coming as it does from a FTB, can anyone here spot the hypocrisy?
User avatar
virtual joe
 

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Dilurk » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:50 am  •  [Post 21731]

Scented Nectar wrote:Jonathan, here is the secret handshake, I mean the secret YouTube Embedding Tutorial.
...


I remember this one well. Ray Bradbury watched the video before he died.

Image
http://www.gearfuse.com/ray-bradbury-watches-fuck-me-ray-bradbury-video-photo/
User avatar
Dilurk
.
.
 
Posts: 1215
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:04 pm

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Scented Nectar » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:00 am  •  [Post 21732]

Dilurk wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:Jonathan, here is the secret handshake, I mean the secret YouTube Embedding Tutorial.
...

I remember this one well. Ray Bradbury watched the video before he died.

Image
http://www.gearfuse.com/ray-bradbury-watches-fuck-me-ray-bradbury-video-photo/

I'm glad he got to see it before he died. Probably at least one of the best and most unique fan tribute's he's gotten. Very catchy tune, too (in a good way).
User avatar
Scented Nectar
.
.
 
Posts: 2463
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:45 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby ray cumfart » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:03 am  •  [Post 21733]


^^
Ophelia Benson writes"But after a few years of blogging, podcasting, and speaking at skeptics’ conferences, I began to get emails from strangers who detailed their sexual fantasies about me. I was occasionally grabbed and groped without consent at events"

???????? this shocks me. i thought the problem was misogyny and sexism, when its obvious that the sceptic community has a problem with a bunch of raving lunatics running around degrading themselfs by hitting on old dried up spinsters. this need to be adressed. these poor people needs psychological help if they are so batshit crazy that they are having sexual fantasys about Ophelia Benson.
User avatar
ray cumfart
.
.
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:02 pm

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby comslave » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:12 am  •  [Post 21734]

Jan Steen wrote:
Could also be that her Ramics sells plummeted after her "crying over a shirt" fiasco, and she can't afford the rent anymore. Doesn't look like a cheap place to live...


Let's see... if 80% of skeptic conference attendees are male, and you spend all your free time whining about how sexist and misogynist all these men are, yeah, I could see how that could hurt sales.

Go find a real job, Amy.
Sometimes a cup of coffee is just a cup of coffee.
User avatar
comslave
.
.
 
Posts: 376
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:30 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Scented Nectar » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:19 am  •  [Post 21735]

ray cumfart wrote:???????? this shocks me. i thought the problem was misogyny and sexism, when its obvious that the sceptic community has a problem with a bunch of raving lunatics running around degrading themselfs by hitting on old dried up spinsters. this need to be adressed. these poor people needs psychological help if they are so batshit crazy that they are having sexual fantasys about Ophelia Benson.

As a woman who is getting long in the tooth (turning 50 next month), what you say alarms me. I no longer feel safe at conferences. Uncontrolled grannyphiles everywhere. Stop looking at my grey hair, damn you raving lunatics!!!!! I need to go blog or vlog now, and tell guys not to do that, to stop sexualificobjectializationing me. Now for a pretend flounce cuz I'm. just. that. upset.

*sniff, and peek to see I've gotten any sympathy yet*
User avatar
Scented Nectar
.
.
 
Posts: 2463
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:45 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby comslave » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:26 am  •  [Post 21736]

Tigzy wrote:^^
Ophelia Benson writes"But after a few years of blogging, podcasting, and speaking at skeptics’ conferences, I began to get emails from strangers who detailed their sexual fantasies about me. I was occasionally grabbed and groped without consent at events"

???????? this shocks me. i thought the problem was misogyny and sexism, when its obvious that the sceptic community has a problem with a bunch of raving lunatics running around degrading themselfs by hitting on old dried up spinsters. this need to be adressed. these poor people needs psychological help if they are so batshit crazy that they are having sexual fantasys about Ophelia Benson.



I think Ophi is having problems telling her twisted sex fantasies from reality.

Come to think of it, when Rebecca tells us she gets thousands of rape threats, isn't she really saying that if she does get raped, there will be a huge list of suspects? And so the real rapist might be all that much harder to find? So THAT's her game. She's trying to throw herself on the rape-cross and become a martyr for the movement. She's trying to arrange for her own rape fantasies to come true. Sorry Rebecca, but it's not going to happen. No one really wants to rape you. Although a ball gag for your mouth might be in order.
Sometimes a cup of coffee is just a cup of coffee.
User avatar
comslave
.
.
 
Posts: 376
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:30 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby ReneeHendricks » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:41 am  •  [Post 21737]

justinvacula wrote:...and lol at Rebecca not complaining much. Never mind the speeches she hijacks to talk about her alleged 'rape threats' and whatever else which has nothing to do with the title of the speech. Why in the world are people still inviting her to speak?


That's what I'm wondering as well. It's the same schtick over and again. Personally, I think they simply need the token pissed off victim chick and she's their "man", so to speak.
Renee Kelly
----
Wine - when you're over 40 and tequila shots have kicked your ass.
User avatar
ReneeHendricks
.
.
 
Posts: 2184
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:48 am
Location: Kent, WA

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Mykeru » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:41 am  •  [Post 21738]

Steersman wrote:
Mykeru wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:
Mykeru wrote:Well, maybe now they will start giving me some love. I know I am hindered by my refusal to engage them on their own turf, but Jesus Fucking Christ, I felt like they were ignoring me.

I actually thrive on turning their kind of humorless, mean-spirited horseshit into life-affirming Lulz.

C'mon baboolies, think of the lulz. And the baby otters.


Hell, I'm actually quite surprised when I get mentioned in passing - you know, when they start talking about MRA lovers and chill girls :D I think one person even said that I'm "despicable" (https://twitter.com/aratina/status/259360017893953536 only found out due to Ophie being "confused" about a video I did not make).

Well, of course they don't get that I'm "MRA" only to the extent that I'm a skeptic. If some truly bullshit claim came out of some MRA source, I would criticize that too.

You might check out the debate with Paul Elam – of A Voice for Men – where he argues or strongly suggests, I think, that some jurists should vote for acquital in rape cases regardless of the evidence – jury nullification. That looks a little off the wall to me – and to a number of others here.

I'm not distancing myself from the "MRA" label, just the presumption that they have that the opposition must be the ideological mirror image of them, knee-jerk group-think and all.


Groups of all kinds – from the McCarthyists to the Stalinists; from the Elks to the Boy Scouts – are prone to that. I don’t think it takes much effort to find evidence of that on either side of just about any line creating two subgroups out of one.

But my experience so far with MRAs is that they would be far more receptive to criticism than these clowns because the MRM is essentially a skeptical reaction to a pernicious form of woo.


While you didn’t actually argue that all MRAs are like the ones you’ve seen so far, my experience is that there seems to be a not insignificant percentage of those who self-identify as MRAs who are just as off the wall and into woo just as deep as the most radical radfem. Woo – as evidenced by all of the different religions, secular and otherwise – seems to come in a great many varieties.

Not to mention they are ugly as shit. I took a gnarled crap this morning that would be more likely to be hit on than The Beaver.


Apart from the questions of whether that is true and whether you’re any better in that department, I wonder what either has to do with the credibility of all of their arguments, whether they hold any water or not.


Yeah, Paul Elam's argument seemed off the wall too. And that's the one thing everyone points to, that Paul Elam likes his rapety-rape. But the point he was making wouldn't really raise an eyebrow if the crime discussed didn't have the emotional weight that rape does.

The Innocence project found that of the almost 300 exonerations for men ( who were 99% of exonerations) who had spent decades in prison for crimes they certainly didn't commit, a significant percentage were for rape, or rape and murder. I can't find the exact number. Normally the rate of "unfounded" in rape investigations is conservatively 8 to 15%.

Many things account for the false convictions. Eyewitness testimony is unreliable, yet is treated as "best evidence". However, aside from error without malice, other disturbing trends emerge. Many rape convictions occurred through false confessions, the victim being led to identify a certain suspect and then her false identification becoming concrete over time. Forensic analysis is flawed and, in some cases involving bogus lab reports. Radly Balko did a series on now discredited forensic odontologist Michael West, who send many men to Death Row based on entirely spurious bite mark analysis.

Then there's outright prosecutorial misconduct, where the prosecutor actually suppresses exculpatory evidence. And, really, often that isn't necessary, As the West Memphis Three case showed, when you the authority of the state behind a charge, you can get people convicted on the basis of pure wind.

Thing is, we'd be more open to looking at the broken system applied to murder. Many states are already reviewing their death penalty laws based on the Innocence Project, the lab scandals and the like. Not that they now have a moral objection to the death penalty, but because you can't apply it in a broken system.

However, in the case of rape we have laws, social norms and just plain shaming that coerces into "believing the victim" and really continuing flawed prosecutions as a kind of security theater. Also, the prosecutor's office in the U.S. is a highly political position where the sacrifice of innocents is seen as a small price to pay for looking good. That many of these innocents are often minorities makes it that much easier.

In the Ronald Cotton case, the victim Jennifer Thompson who was, of course, vulnerable to coercion herself, was manipulated into identifying Cotton and believed he was the assailant for years. She was able eventually able to make peace with her coerced identification and later with Cotton himself. You could say she was victimized twice. And the man who actually raped her was running around all that time.

If you look at it that way, with the errors and misconduct where "the evidence" presented to the jury can't be considered the truth, and with a strong stigma against reviewing the process by which we can send a man to prison forever based on a "said so", then Elam's idea of nullification isn't "out there". You have to fix the system.

In fact, there's a place for skeptics there. So many researchers, notably Dr. Elizabeth Loftus has shown that eyewitness testimony is inaccurate, biased, often reconstructions and can be manipulated, we should seriously be questioning the prominent place we give it in our legal system and culture.

As far as MRAs steeped in woo, some are, I guess. Depends on who you are talking about, or if "MRAs" are being conflated with Pick Up Artists, Male Separatists, Iron John drum bangers and the like. I take it case by case. I don't anticipate, I just deal with people as they come up because, after all, groups are just made of people. I have yet to find that being a recalcitrant ideological douche is a requirement to join that club like it is for The Baboon Happy Fun Troop.

I have seen guys come into the A Voice for Men chat and other social media all pissed off as hell and bitter, but you have to keep in mind that some of these guys have been totally screwed over in a way that an amicably divorced guy who still has nothing bad to say about his ex wife wouldn't understand. Although, for months after my divorce I dreamed about her, usually in the context of her being lost and looking for her, and spent an inordinate amount of time on a bar stoll trying to get my liver to hate me. Maybe it's the first time anyone has listened to them. You let people like that vent and then try to steer them to something less personally destructive than being bitter.

No doubt I will come across some "men's rights" total woo and I will treat it like I do other woo.

One good thing about aligning with the MRM is that It give me the perspective to be as constructively a jerk as any woman. I mean in the sense of being a jerk out of a sense of self preservation.

Example. A few months ago saw the fizzle-out end of a relationship. At first, seemed good. She promised me she wasn't high maintenance and I believed her for a while. She was an army sergeant for years, was on board for my biking and hiking and camping liked baseball and was a fan of the Richmond Flying Squirrels (no, really).

However, as the relationship got serious she started asking for me to change this and that and whatever about me. You know, for any future children. I thought that was forward thinking, but you know, with a ticking clock I guess she should think about those things. After a point, I just told her that I appreciate the concern she has for future generations, but if I have to change this and that and the other thing, maybe she should be seeing someone else.

So, she decided to "friend-zone" me until she figured it out. I let her know that if were were going to be friends, we'd be friends. And I stuck to it. Of course, there were things that gave me pause about her previously, such as her need to have relationship critical conversations via text messaging (damn, that's frustrating) and, the real killer here, going through my phone and asking who was this and that person I was texting. Which I explained that this contact was my sister, another a lawyer, and I work with this person...and duly noted that she was the sort who would go through one's phone. I kept it on the up and up, but then she'd text me about what she wished she was doing with me...Uh, yeah. Just show me the hoop to jump through, why don't you?

Remember: It's not that men don't want to commit to women, ladies. We may just not want to commit to you.

And, mercifully, I think the last communication we had was two months ago. Which is great, really because out of nowhere pops up another woman who I had seen briefly and let her platonically crash with me for a few days while she was on a bender. I was buying her wine at 6:00 am so she didn't go through withdrawal and she drank my mouthwash. Then she scampered off only to reappear via text saying she was now really, really straight and hadn't gotten laid in 5.5 months (her exactness). I messaged back "1. Good for you, keep it up and 2. Can't help you there".

Now, I don't think that's too dickish. I can't see a woman being blamed for having that level of self-preservation. There was a time when I would have gone around the Maypole a couple of times over this horseshit.

The baboons would call that "woman hating", I guess. The PUAs would chide me for passing up an opportunity to get some. The Buddha would say the cause of pain is desire and I would say there aren't enough hours in the day to do what I want to do and put up with that.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -- H.L. Mencken
User avatar
Mykeru
.
.
 
Posts: 4019
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:52 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby LouFCD » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:46 am  •  [Post 21739]

comslave wrote:
Jan Steen wrote:
Could also be that her Ramics sells plummeted after her "crying over a shirt" fiasco, and she can't afford the rent anymore. Doesn't look like a cheap place to live...


Let's see... if 80% of skeptic conference attendees are male, and you spend all your free time whining about how sexist and misogynist all these men are, yeah, I could see how that could hurt sales.

Go find a real job, Amy.


I'm sure there's an If You Seek Amy joke in there somewhere, but I imagine that's been overdone at this point in this long, long thread, yes?
Do it 'til you bleed.
User avatar
LouFCD
.
.
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:23 pm

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Jonathan » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:47 am  •  [Post 21740]

virtual joe wrote:Just popped in to alert y'all to a post today by Ed Brayton- http://freethoughtblogs.com/dispatches/ ... -thinking/ (apologies if this is already discussed up thread).

Here's a snippet;
I would submit that we do much the same thing when evaluating ideas, claims and arguments. If we hear those ideas expressed by someone we have already determined that we agree with, we are much more likely to agree with them without actually thinking about it. Conversely, if we hear those ideas expressed by someone we disagree with, we are much more likely to reject them out of hand, without giving them any due consideration. This is why what I often call the argumentum ad labelum is so common — it’s a means of dismissing a claim or argument rather than engaging it.


He then goes on to say
...being relatively more rational than someone who is highly irrational does not mean that we are avoiding the kinds of easy, tribalistic thinking noted above that undermine our ability to think critically, especially on issues that we are passionate about. None of us can avoid them entirely, I imagine, but as rationalists and skeptics we should try our best to cultivate habits of thinking that help us avoid them as much as possible. And when someone points them out to us, we should react reasonably rather than defensively.


So Ed is lamenting (other) people rejecting the arguments of others simply because of who the arguer is. Coming as it does from a FTB, can anyone here spot the hypocrisy?


I tend to view this as a positive. Perhaps he is realising just how counterproductive the argumentum ad labelum engaged in by FTB and A+ commenters, not to mention a few Slyme Pitters now and again, is when it comes to trying to have a rational discussion. Of course he can't come right out and say "check your prejudices and listen, not everyone who disagrees is a misogynist", or the rabid beast that is the FTB comment-collective will turn on him and things could get ugly. If people listen, it could be a step forward. And a few of those are certainly needed.

Of course, I'm applying my own filters to it. He could simply be talking in general and still believe that anyone who posts here is a cunt-kicking breast-chewing misogynist. :lol:
User avatar
Jonathan
.
.
 
Posts: 422
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:59 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Mokoma » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:48 am  •  [Post 21741]

Notung wrote:I must say, noelplum99 is one of my favourite commentators on all of this. He has a kind of 'from the outside looking in' feel to his expressions and opinions and it's quite refreshing. It's like picking an intelligent person in a British street and saying 'what do you think of all this?'. I say British because I get the feeling that a lot of this 'privilege', SJW, etc. stuff comes from other continents. I've literally never come across it in real life over here.


As an european outsider who has been following this ongoing petty (but often hilarious and entertaining) drama for some time, I have always felt that this Elevatorgate kerfuffle might be "only in America" kind of thing. I don't know why but maybe it spawned from the same mentality that made Janet Jackson's Nipplegate such a calamity. :)
Mokoma
.
.
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:26 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Mykeru » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:50 am  •  [Post 21742]

ray cumfart wrote:

^^
Ophelia Benson writes"But after a few years of blogging, podcasting, and speaking at skeptics’ conferences, I began to get emails from strangers who detailed their sexual fantasies about me. I was occasionally grabbed and groped without consent at events"


Translation: OH, LOOK AT ME. I'M HIGH-VALUE TOO!

Horseshit.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -- H.L. Mencken
User avatar
Mykeru
.
.
 
Posts: 4019
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:52 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Mykeru » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:54 am  •  [Post 21743]

Mokoma wrote:
Notung wrote:I must say, noelplum99 is one of my favourite commentators on all of this. He has a kind of 'from the outside looking in' feel to his expressions and opinions and it's quite refreshing. It's like picking an intelligent person in a British street and saying 'what do you think of all this?'. I say British because I get the feeling that a lot of this 'privilege', SJW, etc. stuff comes from other continents. I've literally never come across it in real life over here.


As an european outsider who has been following this ongoing petty (but often hilarious and entertaining) drama for some time, I have always felt that this Elevatorgate kerfuffle might be "only in America" kind of thing. I don't know why but maybe it spawned from the same mentality that made Janet Jackson's Nipplegate such a calamity. :)


A handy drawing which I'm posting not because it actually illuminates the issue in a meaningful way, but just to piss off some baboon.

Image
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -- H.L. Mencken
User avatar
Mykeru
.
.
 
Posts: 4019
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:52 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby JackRayner » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:07 pm  •  [Post 21744]

franc wrote:
SPACKlick wrote:
Rystefn wrote:I will go out of my way to help people who are trying but having a hard time letting go of their hangups. I will not fucking tiptoe around worrying about everybody's goddamned feelings.


So you consider being hurt by having trust violated a hangup rather than a useful and productive social emotion, interesting. Remind me which school of sociopathy that comes from?


Precisely it. Inability to empathise with the other, therefore the other is irrelevant. Must be hanging around Skepchick too long. Like Becky Watson sending her well meaning handler out into the night for vegetarian cashew chicken just for lulz. Not Becky's fault they were that stupid haha.

Social contracts are what bind us together in what we call communities. To piss on these social contracts and then claim to want to help your fellow man whenever possible is just... It leaves me speechless. I do not see any difference between that and the sociopathy of SulkyAmy easing her soul by making trivial donations from her retard jewellery to whatever pop cause of the day. "Cognitive dissonance" doesn't even scratch the surface.


If you wish to continue moralizing and/or trying your hand at armchair psychoanalysis around this subject, there's a designated place for that now. :whistle:
User avatar
JackRayner
.
.
 
Posts: 1166
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:27 am
Location: In the basement of the University of Minnesota Morris

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Rystefn » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:14 pm  •  [Post 21745]

franc wrote:
SPACKlick wrote:
Rystefn wrote:I will go out of my way to help people who are trying but having a hard time letting go of their hangups. I will not fucking tiptoe around worrying about everybody's goddamned feelings.


So you consider being hurt by having trust violated a hangup rather than a useful and productive social emotion, interesting. Remind me which school of sociopathy that comes from?


Precisely it. Inability to empathise with the other, therefore the other is irrelevant. Must be hanging around Skepchick too long. Like Becky Watson sending her well meaning handler out into the night for vegetarian cashew chicken just for lulz. Not Becky's fault they were that stupid haha.

Social contracts are what bind us together in what we call communities. To piss on these social contracts and then claim to want to help your fellow man whenever possible is just... It leaves me speechless. I do not see any difference between that and the sociopathy of SulkyAmy easing her soul by making trivial donations from her retard jewellery to whatever pop cause of the day. "Cognitive dissonance" doesn't even scratch the surface.


You guys love tossing around talk of sociopathy. I'm trying to figure out if you're using a mental illness as a broad-spectrum insult or if you actually think you're in any way qualified to discuss the mental illness in question. If it's the first, rock on, it's fertile ground. If it's the second... Maybe you should look it up in the DSM- no, wait, that won't work. You can't do that, because it isn't there. Huh. Funny, that.
User avatar
Rystefn
TheMudbrooker's Bitch
 
Posts: 635
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:03 pm

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Joe » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:20 pm  •  [Post 21746]

The line-up for the QED conference (UK's largest skeptic conference, qedcon.org) next year wouldn't go down well with the FfTB lot. This year it had Ophelia Benson. No-one from FfTB in 2013, but there's Dawkins, Krauss and Brooke Magnanti.
Joe
.
.
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:38 pm

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby JackRayner » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:23 pm  •  [Post 21747]

ray cumfart wrote:Ophelia Benson writes"But after a few years of blogging, podcasting, and speaking at skeptics’ conferences, I began to get emails from strangers who detailed their sexual fantasies about me. I was occasionally grabbed and groped without consent at events"

???????? this shocks me. i thought the problem was misogyny and sexism, when its obvious that the sceptic community has a problem with a bunch of raving lunatics running around degrading themselfs by hitting on old dried up spinsters. this need to be adressed. these poor people needs psychological help if they are so batshit crazy that they are having sexual fantasys about Ophelia Benson.


Gross.

If Benson [ever] looked any like Nina Hartley, maybe... :?

*shudder*
User avatar
JackRayner
.
.
 
Posts: 1166
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:27 am
Location: In the basement of the University of Minnesota Morris

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Rystefn » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:28 pm  •  [Post 21748]

franc wrote:I guess the breakdown is like this -

* social libertarian perspective: I won't screw you while your back is turned and I expect you to not screw me while my back is turned.

* neo-Sadean libertine perspective: I won't screw you while you're back is turned (when there's a fair chance I'll get caught) and I expect you won't screw me while while my back is turned (when there's a fair chance you'll get caught).

For the life of me I cannot see how you can exist in the second world and still claim you are interested in the common good, humanism and helping where help's needed. My head would explode.


You left out quite a lot of perspectives, notably, the perspective of the person you're talking about:

I won't screw you* whether your back is turned or not, so long as you don't try to screw me**, whether my back is turned or not. I expect that rather a lot of people will try to screw me whether my back is turned or not, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, and I'd prefer do the same for me (but I don't expect it).

*I do not include hurting your feelings under the category of screwing you.
** I do not include hurting my feelings under the category of screwing me.
Personally, I am of the opinion that moderation is mediocrity. We neither remember, nor are remembered for, the things we do only a little.

My half-assed blog
User avatar
Rystefn
TheMudbrooker's Bitch
 
Posts: 635
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:03 pm

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby AndrewV69 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:47 pm  •  [Post 21749]

Scented Nectar wrote:As a woman who is getting long in the tooth (turning 50 next month), what you say alarms me. I no longer feel safe at conferences. Uncontrolled grannyphiles everywhere. Stop looking at my grey hair, damn you raving lunatics!!!!! I need to go blog or vlog now, and tell guys not to do that, to stop sexualificobjectializationing me. Now for a pretend flounce cuz I'm. just. that. upset.

*sniff, and peek to see I've gotten any sympathy yet*


I am going to point out the obvious. You are far more likely to get objectified and sexualized by the likes of me than the walking prune or Watson.

I will expand this a bit further. If I drop a pen in front of the three of you and while picking it up I get goosed, depending on who did it, it is either flirting or sexual harassment and criminal assault.

Same act by different people has different outcomes.

*shrug* Hypocrisy I know, but life can be so unfair.

I am willing to bet that if Twatson had been groped by Dawkins, Elevatorgate would never have happened. Instead, she made up a story about being still being sexually attractive, and her hero mocked her.

Well, hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. etc. etc. and the rest is history.
Disce aut discede
http://noseenohearnospeak.blogspot.ca/

Ick. AndrewV69, proud slimepitter and MRA, with in.malafide in his email address? No. Just no. Fuck off.
- PZ Myers 26 July 2012 at 3:17 pm
User avatar
AndrewV69
.
.
 
Posts: 4406
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:52 pm

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby ReneeHendricks » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:58 pm  •  [Post 21750]

Ok, I can't stand it. I was just going to leave this alone because I have the feeling that not many will agree with me. But Asshat-Szvan's latest bit has a line in it (actually, twice but stated differently) that is bothering the shit out of me:

An unwanted pregnancy is not rape, but it is like a rape in many ways.


No. No, it's not. It is not a violent sexual assault upon your body and mental well-being. It's simply unwanted. To me, it's like night and day. Or perhaps I'm just letting my extreme distaste of Szvan color my perception. Either way, that line just bothers the shit out of me.
Renee Kelly
----
Wine - when you're over 40 and tequila shots have kicked your ass.
User avatar
ReneeHendricks
.
.
 
Posts: 2184
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:48 am
Location: Kent, WA

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Scented Nectar » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:06 pm  •  [Post 21751]

AndrewV69 wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:As a woman who is getting long in the tooth (turning 50 next month), what you say alarms me. I no longer feel safe at conferences. Uncontrolled grannyphiles everywhere. Stop looking at my grey hair, damn you raving lunatics!!!!! I need to go blog or vlog now, and tell guys not to do that, to stop sexualificobjectializationing me. Now for a pretend flounce cuz I'm. just. that. upset.

*sniff, and peek to see I've gotten any sympathy yet*


I am going to point out the obvious. You are far more likely to get objectified and sexualized by the likes of me than the walking prune or Watson.

I will expand this a bit further. If I drop a pen in front of the three of you and while picking it up I get goosed, depending on who did it, it is either flirting or sexual harassment and criminal assault.

Same act by different people has different outcomes.

*shrug* Hypocrisy I know, but life can be so unfair.

What if it's an awkward case of the Orient Express where we ALL did the deed? Image

Just kidding. I need to be pretty sure that it won't be minded before I do any goosing or anything else'ing of anyone. I will sneak a look at your ass though, I mean, I'm only human. I'll stop there, or we'll have to go to the sex thread.
Image

I am willing to bet that if Twatson had been groped by Dawkins, Elevatorgate would never have happened. Instead, she made up a story about being still being sexually attractive, and her hero mocked her.

Well, hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. etc. etc. and the rest is history.

Imagine even further, if poor Dawkins got a "yes" from Watson. Talk about next day regret. I think he'd have it! Image
User avatar
Scented Nectar
.
.
 
Posts: 2463
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:45 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Outwest » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:07 pm  •  [Post 21752]

ReneeHendricks wrote:Ok, I can't stand it. I was just going to leave this alone because I have the feeling that not many will agree with me. But Asshat-Szvan's latest bit has a line in it (actually, twice but stated differently) that is bothering the shit out of me:

An unwanted pregnancy is not rape, but it is like a rape in many ways.


No. No, it's not. It is not a violent sexual assault upon your body and mental well-being. It's simply unwanted. To me, it's like night and day. Or perhaps I'm just letting my extreme distaste of Szvan color my perception. Either way, that line just bothers the shit out of me.


Okay, I'm confused (not out of the ordinary for me :) ) But how is an unwanted pregnancy in any way like rape? Is this another redefinition that the FfTB'ers do all the time? This is just plain stupid. She should be embarrassed for making such an idiotic statement.
To show resentment at a reproach is to acknowledge one may have deserved it.
User avatar
Outwest
.
.
 
Posts: 448
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:01 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Scented Nectar » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:11 pm  •  [Post 21753]

ReneeHendricks wrote:Ok, I can't stand it. I was just going to leave this alone because I have the feeling that not many will agree with me. But Asshat-Szvan's latest bit has a line in it (actually, twice but stated differently) that is bothering the shit out of me:

An unwanted pregnancy is not rape, but it is like a rape in many ways.


No. No, it's not. It is not a violent sexual assault upon your body and mental well-being. It's simply unwanted. To me, it's like night and day. Or perhaps I'm just letting my extreme distaste of Szvan color my perception. Either way, that line just bothers the shit out of me.

They end up away taking the attention away from REAL rapes, by acting as though all kinds of non-rapes are rapes or at least all rapey. They want rape cred for everything, since that's the most effective emotional appeal: anything to do with rape gets them sympathy and care.
User avatar
Scented Nectar
.
.
 
Posts: 2463
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:45 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby JackRayner » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:16 pm  •  [Post 21754]

Outwest wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:Ok, I can't stand it. I was just going to leave this alone because I have the feeling that not many will agree with me. But Asshat-Szvan's latest bit has a line in it (actually, twice but stated differently) that is bothering the shit out of me:

An unwanted pregnancy is not rape, but it is like a rape in many ways.


No. No, it's not. It is not a violent sexual assault upon your body and mental well-being. It's simply unwanted. To me, it's like night and day. Or perhaps I'm just letting my extreme distaste of Szvan color my perception. Either way, that line just bothers the shit out of me.


Okay, I'm confused (not out of the ordinary for me :) ) But how is an unwanted pregnancy in any way like rape? Is this another redefinition that the FfTB'ers do all the time? This is just plain stupid. She should be embarrassed for making such an idiotic statement.


Because each is unwanted? :think: But if that doesn't work, shouting Patriarchy® works too! :)


[I wonder what she would say to someone stating that having to pay child support for unwanted progeny is similar to rape in a lot of ways. :whistle: ]
User avatar
JackRayner
.
.
 
Posts: 1166
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:27 am
Location: In the basement of the University of Minnesota Morris

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Rystefn » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:24 pm  •  [Post 21755]

JackRayner wrote:[I wonder what she would say to someone stating that having to pay child support for unwanted progeny is similar to rape in a lot of ways. :whistle: ]


Considering how they respond to someone saying that there's no argument in favor of legal abortions that can't be used against child support, I can only imagine the hysteria that would follow comparing it to rape. How dare you compare something that happens to men to something that happens to women! It's not about you!

But yeah, the fucking rape-flation some people like to indulge in makes me want to beat my head against the wall. Anything bad that happens to a woman (a woman on our side, I mean) is basically rape... but don't you dare use a rape metaphor when you're talking about sports or video games, because those are things that men do to have fun (like rape) and only women can possibly understand what rape is... or something.
Personally, I am of the opinion that moderation is mediocrity. We neither remember, nor are remembered for, the things we do only a little.

My half-assed blog
User avatar
Rystefn
TheMudbrooker's Bitch
 
Posts: 635
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:03 pm

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby sacha » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:41 pm  •  [Post 21756]

DownThunder wrote:Sex or companionship? How could anyone listen to someone like RW for 12 hours and want anything other than the release of death?


Perhaps the military should use her for torture.

clockwork.jpg


where is Real Horrorshow?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"If you want to shame me about something, you've got to pick something I'm ashamed of" -franc
"humans as a whole are simply maladjusted animals with delusions of grandeur." -AndrewV69
It's s-a-C-h-a - with a C - as in cunt
User avatar
sacha
.
.
 
Posts: 2450
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:31 am
Location: Gender Traitors International

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Dilurk » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:00 pm  •  [Post 21757]

Mokoma wrote:
Notung wrote:I must say, noelplum99 is one of my favourite commentators on all of this. He has a kind of 'from the outside looking in' feel to his expressions and opinions and it's quite refreshing. It's like picking an intelligent person in a British street and saying 'what do you think of all this?'. I say British because I get the feeling that a lot of this 'privilege', SJW, etc. stuff comes from other continents. I've literally never come across it in real life over here.


As an european outsider who has been following this ongoing petty (but often hilarious and entertaining) drama for some time, I have always felt that this Elevatorgate kerfuffle might be "only in America" kind of thing. I don't know why but maybe it spawned from the same mentality that made Janet Jackson's Nipplegate such a calamity. :)


I think I can speak for the other Canadians here when I say I was quite amused at Nipplegate as well. It's just a breast nothing more than you'd see when a mother breast feeds. You USAians are silly.
User avatar
Dilurk
.
.
 
Posts: 1215
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:04 pm

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Phil_Giordana_FCD » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:09 pm  •  [Post 21758]

Dilurk wrote:
Mokoma wrote:
Notung wrote:I must say, noelplum99 is one of my favourite commentators on all of this. He has a kind of 'from the outside looking in' feel to his expressions and opinions and it's quite refreshing. It's like picking an intelligent person in a British street and saying 'what do you think of all this?'. I say British because I get the feeling that a lot of this 'privilege', SJW, etc. stuff comes from other continents. I've literally never come across it in real life over here.


As an european outsider who has been following this ongoing petty (but often hilarious and entertaining) drama for some time, I have always felt that this Elevatorgate kerfuffle might be "only in America" kind of thing. I don't know why but maybe it spawned from the same mentality that made Janet Jackson's Nipplegate such a calamity. :)


I think I can speak for the other Canadians here when I say I was quite amused at Nipplegate as well. It's just a breast nothing more than you'd see when a mother breast feeds. You USAians are silly.


Don't even get me started on the French Riviera beaches...
"It is science we are talking about here. It doesn't matter if you like the person making the argument. Sometimes the evidence supports the nice people and sometimes complete bastards are on the correct side of a scientific argument." -Strawkins
User avatar
Phil_Giordana_FCD
.
.
 
Posts: 4951
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:56 am
Location: Nice, France

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby franc » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:13 pm  •  [Post 21759]

Tristan wrote:DNA unravelling into raw amino acids? Is this some new form of DNA I haven't heard of before?


Oh look. Tristan posts flame bait. Forgets to be logged in as "guest".
smilies are for reetards | reason is overrated | "Home is where the floor is." -- X | “The citizen's job is to be rude - to pierce the comfort of professional intercourse by boorish expressions of doubt” -- John Ralston Saul
User avatar
franc
.
.
 
Posts: 1731
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:03 pm
Location: Kosmopolites

Re: Angels's Glossary

Postby franc » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:27 pm  •  [Post 21760]

Michael K Gray wrote:Yay!!! - See "THIS^^!!, So MUCH!!" childish AOLer pantywetting tree-house mindless groupthink. That the commenter was not able to come up with the previous load of vacuous tripe is nothing to be proud of, in the brain-box department.[/i]


Nice. A graphic for this entry -

Image
smilies are for reetards | reason is overrated | "Home is where the floor is." -- X | “The citizen's job is to be rude - to pierce the comfort of professional intercourse by boorish expressions of doubt” -- John Ralston Saul
User avatar
franc
.
.
 
Posts: 1731
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:03 pm
Location: Kosmopolites

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby MichaelJ » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:50 pm  •  [Post 21761]

Jonathan wrote:
virtual joe wrote:Just popped in to alert y'all to a post today by Ed Brayton- http://freethoughtblogs.com/dispatches/ ... -thinking/ (apologies if this is already discussed up thread).

Here's a snippet;
I would submit that we do much the same thing when evaluating ideas, claims and arguments. If we hear those ideas expressed by someone we have already determined that we agree with, we are much more likely to agree with them without actually thinking about it. Conversely, if we hear those ideas expressed by someone we disagree with, we are much more likely to reject them out of hand, without giving them any due consideration. This is why what I often call the argumentum ad labelum is so common — it’s a means of dismissing a claim or argument rather than engaging it.


He then goes on to say
...being relatively more rational than someone who is highly irrational does not mean that we are avoiding the kinds of easy, tribalistic thinking noted above that undermine our ability to think critically, especially on issues that we are passionate about. None of us can avoid them entirely, I imagine, but as rationalists and skeptics we should try our best to cultivate habits of thinking that help us avoid them as much as possible. And when someone points them out to us, we should react reasonably rather than defensively.


So Ed is lamenting (other) people rejecting the arguments of others simply because of who the arguer is. Coming as it does from a FTB, can anyone here spot the hypocrisy?


I tend to view this as a positive. Perhaps he is realising just how counterproductive the argumentum ad labelum engaged in by FTB and A+ commenters, not to mention a few Slyme Pitters now and again, is when it comes to trying to have a rational discussion. Of course he can't come right out and say "check your prejudices and listen, not everyone who disagrees is a misogynist", or the rabid beast that is the FTB comment-collective will turn on him and things could get ugly. If people listen, it could be a step forward. And a few of those are certainly needed.

Of course, I'm applying my own filters to it. He could simply be talking in general and still believe that anyone who posts here is a cunt-kicking breast-chewing misogynist. :lol:

Except when defending FTB against people who have left, he has been pretty silent on the whole argument. I'd say that this is more a dig at the A+ers.
User avatar
MichaelJ
 

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby windy » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:50 pm  •  [Post 21762]

ray cumfart wrote:Ophelia Benson writes"But after a few years of blogging, podcasting, and speaking at skeptics’ conferences, I began to get emails from strangers who detailed their sexual fantasies about me. I was occasionally grabbed and groped without consent at events"

???????? this shocks me. i thought the problem was misogyny and sexism, when its obvious that the sceptic community has a problem with a bunch of raving lunatics running around degrading themselfs by hitting on old dried up spinsters. this need to be adressed. these poor people needs psychological help if they are so batshit crazy that they are having sexual fantasys about Ophelia Benson.


Bad form ray, that's her quoting Watson! Now you got the resident grannies and spinsters all excited for nothing.
“Ideological purity is for ideologues.” - J. Morales
User avatar
windy
.
.
 
Posts: 1456
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:41 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Scented Nectar » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:03 pm  •  [Post 21763]

windy wrote:
ray cumfart wrote:Ophelia Benson writes"But after a few years of blogging, podcasting, and speaking at skeptics’ conferences, I began to get emails from strangers who detailed their sexual fantasies about me. I was occasionally grabbed and groped without consent at events"

???????? this shocks me. i thought the problem was misogyny and sexism, when its obvious that the sceptic community has a problem with a bunch of raving lunatics running around degrading themselfs by hitting on old dried up spinsters. this need to be adressed. these poor people needs psychological help if they are so batshit crazy that they are having sexual fantasys about Ophelia Benson.


Bad form ray, that's her quoting Watson! Now you got the resident grannies and spinsters all excited for nothing.

Damn! So they're not after granny-aged types like me after all, but instead, the middle-aged crazies with pink or blue hair and who hallucinate elevator people. :D
User avatar
Scented Nectar
.
.
 
Posts: 2463
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:45 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby DW Adams » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:06 pm  •  [Post 21764]

I had to post this before catching up on today's posts.


TRIGGER WARNING: VERY LARGE MCCREIGHT FACE
http://www.vice.com/read/atheism-sexismatheism-00003000-v19n10

Atheism - Sexism = Atheism +

Being an atheist is a hassle, but being a lady atheist can be the pits. Not only do you have to deal with Christians saying you’re going to hell all the time, your beliefs will undoubtedly put you in close proximity with “enlightened” male unbelievers who will unabashedly hit on you and maybe even make rape jokes because, well, there’s no God to punish them. Atheist blogger Jennifer McCreight became well versed in godless misogyny when in 2010 she devised a stunt called “Boobquake” via her blog that called on women to dress immodestly for a designated day (April 26) in response to Iranian cleric Hojatoleslam Kazem Seddiqi’s claim that things like female cleavage and bare legs cause earthquakes. Of course, Boobquake went viral. The unfortunate by-product was that Jennifer’s instant internet fame resulted in a deluge of hateful, misogynistic emails from fellow nonbelievers.


This is followed by four questions answered by JenJen.
User avatar
DW Adams
.
.
 
Posts: 580
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:21 pm

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby franc » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:08 pm  •  [Post 21765]

Scented Nectar wrote:
ray cumfart wrote:???????? this shocks me. i thought the problem was misogyny and sexism, when its obvious that the sceptic community has a problem with a bunch of raving lunatics running around degrading themselfs by hitting on old dried up spinsters. this need to be adressed. these poor people needs psychological help if they are so batshit crazy that they are having sexual fantasys about Ophelia Benson.

As a woman who is getting long in the tooth (turning 50 next month), what you say alarms me. I no longer feel safe at conferences. Uncontrolled grannyphiles everywhere. Stop looking at my grey hair, damn you raving lunatics!!!!! I need to go blog or vlog now, and tell guys not to do that, to stop sexualificobjectializationing me. Now for a pretend flounce cuz I'm. just. that. upset.

*sniff, and peek to see I've gotten any sympathy yet*


Granita

Granita. Flower of my adolescence, torment of my nights. Will I ever see you again? Granita. Granita. Gran-i-ta. Three syllables, the second and third forming a diminutive, as if contradicting the first. Granita, may I remember you until your image has become a shadow and your abode the grave.


Only really funny to groupies of Nabokov's masterwork.
smilies are for reetards | reason is overrated | "Home is where the floor is." -- X | “The citizen's job is to be rude - to pierce the comfort of professional intercourse by boorish expressions of doubt” -- John Ralston Saul
User avatar
franc
.
.
 
Posts: 1731
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:03 pm
Location: Kosmopolites

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby ReneeHendricks » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:16 pm  •  [Post 21766]

sacha wrote:
DownThunder wrote:Sex or companionship? How could anyone listen to someone like RW for 12 hours and want anything other than the release of death?


Perhaps the military should use her for torture.

clockwork.jpg


where is Real Horrorshow?


Oh. You.are.my.hero. My most favorite movie of all time...and you show a graphic from it...I need to watch it again!!!!
Renee Kelly
----
Wine - when you're over 40 and tequila shots have kicked your ass.
User avatar
ReneeHendricks
.
.
 
Posts: 2184
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:48 am
Location: Kent, WA

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Outwest » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:18 pm  •  [Post 21767]

Skeeve wrote:I had to post this before catching up on today's posts.


TRIGGER WARNING: VERY LARGE MCCREIGHT FACE
http://www.vice.com/read/atheism-sexismatheism-00003000-v19n10

Atheism - Sexism = Atheism +

Being an atheist is a hassle, but being a lady atheist can be the pits. Not only do you have to deal with Christians saying you’re going to hell all the time, your beliefs will undoubtedly put you in close proximity with “enlightened” male unbelievers who will unabashedly hit on you and maybe even make rape jokes because, well, there’s no God to punish them. Atheist blogger Jennifer McCreight became well versed in godless misogyny when in 2010 she devised a stunt called “Boobquake” via her blog that called on women to dress immodestly for a designated day (April 26) in response to Iranian cleric Hojatoleslam Kazem Seddiqi’s claim that things like female cleavage and bare legs cause earthquakes. Of course, Boobquake went viral. The unfortunate by-product was that Jennifer’s instant internet fame resulted in a deluge of hateful, misogynistic emails from fellow nonbelievers.


This is followed by four questions answered by JenJen.



It's the last question that is really eye-catching:

Is it fair to say that, on the whole, atheists aren’t that crazy about feminism?
I think, for some people, atheism is the one minority identity they have. They’re not gay, they’re not black, they live in the United States, and a lot of them are middle-class or higher. Being an “atheist” is the one thing that they take on as their cause, and they think it’s the most important because it’s the only one that affects them. It puts their priorities out of order a little bit. Once you’ve figured out God doesn’t exist, that’s great! But there are other irrational things you might believe in, like sexism.


The bolding in the middle of the answer is mine. So, if all you are is an atheist, your priorities are out of order? Note also how we're all apparently white, midlle-class or above. Is this woman that dimwitted?
To show resentment at a reproach is to acknowledge one may have deserved it.
User avatar
Outwest
.
.
 
Posts: 448
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:01 am

Re: Angels's Glossary

Postby Lsuoma » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:19 pm  •  [Post 21768]

franc wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:Yay!!! - See "THIS^^!!, So MUCH!!" childish AOLer pantywetting tree-house mindless groupthink. That the commenter was not able to come up with the previous load of vacuous tripe is nothing to be proud of, in the brain-box department.[/i]


Nice. A graphic for this entry -

Image

I posted a copy in the Images and Archives thread. Shame to lose this, yes this, a thousand times this.
Call me old-fashioned, but I like a dump to be as memorable as it is devastating.
User avatar
Lsuoma
Fascist Tit
 
Posts: 4723
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:58 pm
Location: Pacific NW

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Gumby » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:21 pm  •  [Post 21769]

Jan Steen wrote:In her Slate article Rebecca Watson writes:

Meanwhile, other skeptical women are being bullied out of the spotlight and even out of their homes. My fellow writer on Skepchick, Amy Davis Roth, moved after her home address was posted on a forum dedicated to hating feminist skeptics.


I'm skeptical about this claim. Is Amy Roth really that stupid? Did she actually move because her home address, which anyone could have found easily with Google, was posted on a forum? If so, why? Did she make surlyramics of the prophet Mohammed?

This dubious example of a woman bullied out of her home is then turned into "skeptical women are being bullied out (...) of their homes." That looks like an application of propaganda 101: how to turn an unverifiable anecdote into a definite case with multiple instances. Call me hyperskepchickal.


It's a big fat lie on Watson's part. I don't believe for one minute that Amy moved. They're just getting mileage out of this claim to demonize critics. What better propaganda than painting a picture of poor Amy, running in terror for her very life? It's got all the makings of a Lifetime Network "Woman in Danger" movie. Soon, we'll be hearing about safe houses, an Underground Railroad to protect the valiant heroine Amy Roth from an army of misogynists desperate to locate her.

*spit*

And the best part for them is, if anyone asks them for evidence that Amy moved, they can call that person a stalker who is trying to find out Amy's supposed new address. A hyper-skeptical stalker, of course.

*spit again*
Just because you shot Jesse James, don’t make you Jesse James.
User avatar
Gumby
.
.
 
Posts: 4136
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:40 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Lsuoma » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:27 pm  •  [Post 21770]

Perhaps we should invite this guy to the Pit:

A New York City policeman has been arrested for an alleged plot to kidnap women, rape and torture them and then cook and eat their body parts.

I'm sure the FC(n) would think he'd fit right in just fine...
Call me old-fashioned, but I like a dump to be as memorable as it is devastating.
User avatar
Lsuoma
Fascist Tit
 
Posts: 4723
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:58 pm
Location: Pacific NW

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:28 pm  •  [Post 21771]

Shouldn't Vice be doing important world-changing things like playing paintball with Hamas or something? The stuff that really matters?

From the interview:

I think, for some people, atheism is the one minority identity they have. They’re not gay, they’re not black, they live in the United States, and a lot of them are middle-class or higher. Being an “atheist” is the one thing that they take on as their cause, and they think it’s the most important because it’s the only one that affects them. It puts their priorities out of order a little bit. Once you’ve figured out God doesn’t exist, that’s great! But there are other irrational things you might believe in, like sexism.


Funny, I always thought those were the reasons a person became an Internet "Social Justice" Warrior - because "[it's] the one minority identity they have. They're not gay, they're not black, they live in the United States, and a lot of them are middle-class or higher."

I thought if anything was clear from Atheism Plus's failure it was that those are the atheists hitching themselves to Fauxcial Justice "causes." Whereas the people opposing this bullshit tend to be from other countries, people with minority identities, and people from lower-class backgrounds, etc. McCreight's not particularly observant, it would seem.
User avatar
Guest
 

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby sacha » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:29 pm  •  [Post 21772]

Scented Nectar wrote:stop sexualificobjectializationing me


hahaha!
"If you want to shame me about something, you've got to pick something I'm ashamed of" -franc
"humans as a whole are simply maladjusted animals with delusions of grandeur." -AndrewV69
It's s-a-C-h-a - with a C - as in cunt
User avatar
sacha
.
.
 
Posts: 2450
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:31 am
Location: Gender Traitors International

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Phil_Giordana_FCD » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:33 pm  •  [Post 21773]

Outwest wrote:
*snip*

It's the last question that is really eye-catching:

Is it fair to say that, on the whole, atheists aren’t that crazy about feminism?
I think, for some people, atheism is the one minority identity they have. They’re not gay, they’re not black, they live in the United States, and a lot of them are middle-class or higher. Being an “atheist” is the one thing that they take on as their cause, and they think it’s the most important because it’s the only one that affects them. It puts their priorities out of order a little bit. Once you’ve figured out God doesn’t exist, that’s great! But there are other irrational things you might believe in, like sexism.


The bolding in the middle of the answer is mine. So, if all you are is an atheist, your priorities are out of order? Note also how we're all apparently white, midlle-class or above. Is this woman that dimwitted?



Underlining mine. And this is what is really starting to get on my fucking nerves. Stupid ass UScentric ignorant fuck!
"It is science we are talking about here. It doesn't matter if you like the person making the argument. Sometimes the evidence supports the nice people and sometimes complete bastards are on the correct side of a scientific argument." -Strawkins
User avatar
Phil_Giordana_FCD
.
.
 
Posts: 4951
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:56 am
Location: Nice, France

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Outwest » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:41 pm  •  [Post 21774]

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Outwest wrote:
*snip*

It's the last question that is really eye-catching:

Is it fair to say that, on the whole, atheists aren’t that crazy about feminism?
I think, for some people, atheism is the one minority identity they have. They’re not gay, they’re not black, they live in the United States, and a lot of them are middle-class or higher. Being an “atheist” is the one thing that they take on as their cause, and they think it’s the most important because it’s the only one that affects them. It puts their priorities out of order a little bit. Once you’ve figured out God doesn’t exist, that’s great! But there are other irrational things you might believe in, like sexism.


The bolding in the middle of the answer is mine. So, if all you are is an atheist, your priorities are out of order? Note also how we're all apparently white, midlle-class or above. Is this woman that dimwitted?



Underlining mine. And this is what is really starting to get on my fucking nerves. Stupid ass UScentric ignorant fuck!



For some reason, I overlooked that. Nice catch. And your comment is spot on!
To show resentment at a reproach is to acknowledge one may have deserved it.
User avatar
Outwest
.
.
 
Posts: 448
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:01 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby AndrewV69 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:56 pm  •  [Post 21775]

In other news, from AVFM, some of AndyBob's comments have been turned into an article:

http://www.avoiceformen.com/a-voice-for ... ner-vol-1/
on Lesbians and sexual politics

Lesbians barged into gay men’s spaces in droves jabbing their stubby fingers at everyone. Predictably, they proceeded to boss everyone around, making the gay rights movement about them. Note that homosexuality was a criminal offence for MEN ONLY. Lesbianism was never against the law. They had jackshit to whinge about, but they made gay rights about them anyway, and used it as a propaganda vehicle to support feminism.

Notice that GLTT became LGTT? How’s that for petty entitlement? Gay men should have fought back, but, to our everlasting shame, we didn’t. The only gay men who remained in GLTT were slimy political types seeking personal aggrandizement, zeta poodle carriers and moronic party boys who don’t give a shit about anything except the pattern on the umbrella in their drinks. Of course, the MSM focus entirely on this noisy, spangled disco version of real gay men like me: men who know exactly how greedy, relentless and downright shady those lezziefems are and don’t trust them one iota.


(In case you have not figured it out AndyBob is gay, and I recall he is also pissed off 'bout the women who invade gay bars and misbehave. Apparently a lot of women fail to recognize that gay men are still men, and not only that, they identify as men first and being gay is secondary to that).

On Sasha Wiley aka Creepy Bittergirl

Like all self-dramatizing narcissists, this woman’s life is an extended performance which has been painstakingly crafted so that she resembles a radical feminist. Ms. Wiley is a poseur – or, as we say in Australia, a wanker.

Even her epic plainness is manufactured. Look closely. That mousy hair has been very subtly tinted. The secretarial glasses may suggest Women’s Studies major, but I know Prada when I see it. Check out the lacy bra-strap. Can you say sex-positive slutwalker?

I wonder how long she’s been rehearsing the “I feel like I’ve been wronged” speech. How it must have peeved her that her ‘concrete burn’ didn’t show up on camera any more than her swollen knee or ankle.

Her slam poetry was puerile and derivative – watered-down Plath. It was exactly the kind of tediously pedestrian trash that feminists with daddy issues have been spewing ad nauseum the moment Sylvia decided to get back at poor Ted. What a load of old shit.

I despise this creature for what she did to Mr JTO. That took a disturbing amount of arrogance and contempt. No-one deserves to be immortalized as Creepy Bittergrrl more than Ms. Wiley. Outstanding work.

When will Sylvia Plath finally materialize and tell indulgent no-talents like Ms. Wiley to stop ripping off her poetry? The Vancouver art scene deserves better.


There is more, he talks about Rape Hysteria and Hypergamy, but I suggest you go over there to read the whole thing.
Disce aut discede
http://noseenohearnospeak.blogspot.ca/

Ick. AndrewV69, proud slimepitter and MRA, with in.malafide in his email address? No. Just no. Fuck off.
- PZ Myers 26 July 2012 at 3:17 pm
User avatar
AndrewV69
.
.
 
Posts: 4406
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:52 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Periodic Table of Swearing - The Undead Thread

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Hunt, Pitchguest and 7 guests