Happy 3rd Pit Birthday!

Old subthreads
Service Dog

Re: Happy 3rd Pit Birthday!

Post by Service Dog »

Brive1987 wrote:
No snide comment could garnish. I am silenced.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Service Dog wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:
Boiled vegetables and fried meat. No gravy.

Actually, that could just as well be a description of Carrier's dancing as his cooking.

dog puke

Post by dog puke »

Brive1987 wrote:[tweet.][/tweet]

Initially I thought "good for you" before I checked my bigotry of low expectations.
Dr. Richard Carrier PhD needs to learn how to set the cutlery. :snooty:

#KnifeKnave

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Thunderf00t from 2014.

Still good reading.
http://mycatsaremygods.com/2013/06/16/i ... lar-woman/

Meh, Zvan, just so you know, I smelled the BS the second I got onto FTB.

I’m a real research academic, yknow one who actually discovers the unknown and publishes it in the peer review literature.

Myers is the nearest thing you’ve got to this, and he’s only published one research article in the last 10 years.

-I know how an open and free discussion is meant to look like, and FTB aint it. Indeed FTB struggles to make it out of the category of cult!

From the second I got onto that FTB backchannel I could smell the BS. Who was right was decided on who was saying it (member of the ‘in club’ or not), not what they were saying. The environment was academically toxic before I even set foot in the room.

Remember, you were all happily in a circle jerk talking shit about me, without even realizing that what you were saying was:
1) Factually UTTERLY wrong…. see later apology from richard ‘intellectual artillery’ carrier.
2) That you had already put my name on this mailing list. (yes add stupidity to groupthink)

This greeting from FTB of having everyone spitting at me (with false accusations) was later universally portrayed by FTB as me being aggressive from the start. Kudos, thats Fox News level dishonesty!

On FTB, ‘proving’ someone was wrong’ simply involved labelling them as ‘misogynists’ or ‘slymepitter’ or ‘CHUDs’ and so on. TBH, it was pathetic right from the start.

Yup, it was incredibly naive of me to even join FTB in the first place, but then again, at the time, I was labouring under the misconception that Myers (who asked me to join) was actually a real scientist who understood how an academic environment was meant to function. I’ve since found out its little more than a jumped up highschool biology teacher at ‘cowpoke/ nowhere Minnesota’. I’d just finished a decade working at Cornell Universtiy. Yup, I know its a jerky thing to say, but its also TRUE.

However my mistakes aside, within a couple of days, I could smell the crazy at FTB. A backchannel that generated on average ~1000 emails per month, almost all of which were dedicated (as is stated here) to petty and catty bitching about ‘witch of the week’. Thats basically all FTB was, a cult that bitched about people who disagreed with them.

I was dogpilled. That for me was just utterly pathetic. Did you really think that sort of peer pressure would work on a research scientist (someone trained to ignore that sort of shit)? From the chatter on your backchannel, the answer was clearly YES. -like I say…..pathetic.

The bizarre thing was you thought you were punishing me by excommunicating me from FTB.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Milo's Shaun King stream is good. It's like the 3 Kings show up at the crucifixion, to say 'We were early to this Jesus story & he's not done causing trouble, folks."

They've moved beyond "he's not black" to "why aren't major news agencies investigating this high-profile leader's financial improprieties?"

The third person Milo talks-to addresses the sheer weirdness of Shaun King's recent public statements: King has attained poe status, but he & his employers at the Daily News refuse to clarify whether King's email & social media have been hacked-- or whether the crazytalk is really King's own.

[youtube]V-PQDJj0LuU[/youtube]

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote: Boiled vegetables and fried meat. No gravy.
There's a gravy divot waiting in the potatoes. It just hasn't fallen off Carrier's face yet.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:Boiled vegetables and fried meat. No gravy.
Tears of loneliness. Better than gravy.

Michael J

Post by Michael J »

Ape+lust wrote:
The meat looks overdone and dry

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Michael J wrote:
Ape+lust wrote:
The meat looks overdone and dry
I would normally say you could net that off with a mouthful of sloppy potato.

But based on the retained fork marks in the mash, that's probably not an option.

Really?

Post by Really? »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
Service Dog wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:
Boiled vegetables and fried meat. No gravy.

Actually, that could just as well be a description of Carrier's dancing as his cooking.
Looks like someone just got a new cookbook from Amazon:

http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss30 ... ithcum.jpg

Pick up your own copy and you can Cook Like Carrier:

http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Harvest-c ... 1481227041

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Back from Oct so undoubtedly :nin:

But jesus.

http://i.imgur.com/3a800cz.jpg

Really?

Post by Really? »

Brive1987 wrote:Back from Oct so undoubtedly :nin:

But jesus.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/N4Uetqfy8f0/hqdefault.jpg

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

another lurker wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:
Tigzy wrote: I've already given her plenty of evidence. She's being idiotically stubborn about Goldsmith.
She is being deliberately obtuse because she knows she can't win this.

Reminds me of this video that I just watched the other day.

Pseudo-intellectuals and how to spot them:

[.youtube]4yKF-Su6bhw[/youtube]

One of the most annoying things that dishonest interlocutors do, and I am glad he pointed this out, is switch between *literal* and non-literal meanings. The SJW's with whom I was discussing the right of big burly hiruste penis owning men to claim that they are 'real women for sure' and then use women's bathrooms/change rooms/shelters/locker rooms/prisons used a similar tactic on me. I kept asking if all it took is 'feelz' to overcome objective reality, if all of the above, including sports, and as an example, MMA, should be unisex. One of the answers I got was that yes, MMA is *already* unisex, so what's your problem? Of course, they were using a different meaning of unisex - as in, men can do MMA and women can do MMA. They knew goddamn well that I was talking about men beating the shit out of women in MMA, but couldn't admit it, as that would destroy their argument. ....

And that Steven Crowder guy had a good video on Stefonknee as well. He brought up a couple points that I had not considered. If Stefonknee is realy, truly, a 6 year old girl as 'she' claims, then what is 'she' doing kissing bikers? Isn't that pedophilia? .... I mean, how far do we take this, if subjective feelz, as a general rule, always trump objective reality?
Interesting observations and, apparently, an interesting case of moving the goal posts: "would you believe ...?"

But particularly interesting is the dichotomy between subjective and objective reality. While I certainly won't claim to be particularly knowledgeable about the philosophical perspectives on the issue, my impression is that the difference is more one of degree than of kind: subjective reality more or less refers to those events that only happen inside our own individual heads, whereas objective reality refers to those that happen outside of them where many people can experience them and so provide some degree of corroboration. No guarantee, apparently, that we aren't all deluded, that we aren't all living in vats in the matrix, but a better bet than relying on the perceptions of a single individual.

Which is one of the reasons why I get "exasperated" at those who think they can arbitrarily re-define concepts such as "woman" to mean anything they want it to. No doubt we could, as a society, redefine the word - pay it extra - to mean something else. But the deal is that we can't - rationally and scientifically - change horses in midstream. Reminds me of something I ran across in a paper on the nature of science from Warren Weaver, one of the progenitors of the science of communications:
There are even broader claims which can be made for science and the scientific method. As an essential part of his characteristic procedure, the scientist insists on precise definition of terms and clear characterization of his problem. It is easier, of course, to define terms accurately in scientific fields than in many other areas. It remains true, however, that science is an almost overwhelming illustration of the effectiveness of a well-defined and accepted language, a common set of ideas, a common tradition. The way in which this universality has succeeded in cutting across barriers of time and space, across political and cultural boundaries, is highly significant. Perhaps better than in any other intellectual enterprise of man, science has solved the problem of communicating ideas, and has demonstrated the world-wide cooperation and community of interest which then inevitably results.
And that "precise definition of terms" [my emphasis there] is what the doofuses who pander to the likes of Bruce Jenner and Zinnia Jones want to abrogate and repudiate. No wonder that "Professing Feminism" (and/or its reviewers) objected to the "virulent anti-science, anti-intellectual sentiment driving many of the professors, staff and students" in the "Women's Studies" courses in various universities of America – which has clearly been one of the main precursors to that whole transgender debacle.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Za-zen wrote:
Steersman wrote:
Za-zen wrote:Since when is islamaphobia a bad idea?!

Fuck islam, it's a stupid idea which anyone with any respect for reality or the progression of the human race should wish to see thrown into the bin of "stupid fucking ideas stupid fucking apes had, before they grew up". ....
Indeed. You might be interested in this recent post "Why I am a Islamophobe" which has recently been profiled & discussed on WEIT. And then there's Kenan Malik's "the islamophobia myth" from some 10 years ago. ....

But part of the "problem" is that there are, apparently, some reasonable precepts and morals in the Quran, some reasonable "wheat" along with the rather large amounts of odious and poisonous "chaff". A problem when even people like Maryam Namazie - gawd luv her for her efforts - think that various UN laws on refugees should somehow Trump individual State's rights to protect themselves from barbarians at the gates:
[.tweet][/tweet]
And this is why the pseudo intellectuals (or just plain idiots who've learned the jargon) on the left don't understand why Trump (he is an asshole no doubt) resonates with people, and under estimate him at their peril.

People in the US fundamentally understand that islam is not compatible with western society, in any form that is recognizable as islam. A large part of the reason Islamic societies are so under developed is Islam, they are five hundred years behind us in societal advancement. They never had an enlightenment moment, it hasn't come yet. It is anti western precisely because it is anti individual liberty, THE very value at the core of the enlightenment, that set free science/art/literature, PEOPLE!
Indeed. And, relative to the point about being underdeveloped, something on the reading habits in that benighted neck of the woods: Manji also said something to the effect of the minds of Saudi students being "poached" in religious studies - a rather apt phrase I thought.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

An astute commentator at Carrier's asked him, on his coincidences post, about the improbability of having three false rape accusations leveled at FtB bloggers.

Carrier's response below. it is amazing that they still don't understand that few believe these three raped anyone - the meta issue is the hypocrisy of their facilitation of similarly unproved rape and harrassment narratives.

http://i.imgur.com/plUhWmA.jpg

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Brive1987 wrote:Back from Oct so undoubtedly :nin:

But jesus.

I half agree with the Dick Carrier. That is an awesome shirt.

For a skinny twenty year old.

Without the t-shirt.

In Florida.

On the beach.

In summer.

Macking on hot chicks.

Who are also twenty years old.

And...no. Dick Carrier looks silly.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Brive1987 wrote:An astute commentator at Carrier's asked him, on his coincidences post, about the improbability of having three false rape accusations leveled at FtB bloggers.

Carrier's response below. it is amazing that they still don't understand that few believe these three raped anyone - the meta issue is the hypocrisy of their facilitation of similarly unproved rape and harrassment narratives.

Carrier is fucking lying. PZ has characterized it as a "rape accusation." Unless Carrier is saying that PZ was lying.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Brive1987 wrote:An astute commentator at Carrier's asked him, on his coincidences post, about the improbability of having three false rape accusations leveled at FtB bloggers.

And what the fuck is he talking about? Both PZ and Lousy Canuck broke the news of the rape accusations against them themselves.

What a fucking cumguzzling retard who doesn't know how to research or is lying.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

[youtube]ExLqMBLyWd8[/youtube]I like her dress.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

OMG - Carrier demolishes Avicenna's claim via a hyperlink going to ........... The Yeti's Roar.

Bwhahahahahahahah!

ConcentratedH2O, OM

[quote="Brive1987"]An astute commentator at Carrier's asked him, on his coincidences post, about the improbability of having three false rape accusations leveled at FtB bloggers.

[img]

Exactly. Meyers in particular has gone over his own experience of sexual assault/rape accusation time and time again (usually in response to an upsurge in outrage from the Pit). Every time his story has changed, except for one unchanging fact: he definitely did not assault the girl, she made it all up, and he was lucky to get his story in before she had a chance to tell hers.

Meyers is living in a fucked up world these days. He has long relied upon The Internet to provide his blog LOLs, originally from christian morons posting christian moron shit. Some science in there too. But now that he has - and I really don't understand where this came from - thrown in his lot with the lunatic fringe of SJWism, he is suffering terribly from The Internet's relentless memory. Michelle Bachmann deep-throating a hotdog, gelatto guy, hatred of 'shoops except when they are targeted against his current enemies, fifth horseman bitterness, it is all there to see and be seen again.

The bitter little cunt just can't see that he is reaping only what he sowed, and sows. Meyers, we get it: your book was a personal humiliation, the atheist community or whatever didn't take you up on your new horseman offer after Hitchens's death (and neither did the media), and you are really resentful about all of this. Fine. But man, have some fucking balls in defeat. Either leave the stage or try to command it. Just standing in the wings shouting at the actors makes you look like such a pathetic asshole, it's really sad.

I'm just so sick of this little man. Are we keeping him alive? Should we close down the Pit in order to speed FfTB's seemingly inevitable dissolution? I just feel like we might be the life support system for FfTB, and I wonder what the Alexa ratings would be a month after the Pit closes.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Really?

Post by Really? »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:

Exactly. Meyers in particular has gone over his own experience of sexual assault/rape accusation time and time again (usually in response to an upsurge in outrage from the Pit). Every time his story has changed, except for one unchanging fact: he definitely did not assault the girl, she made it all up, and he was lucky to get his story in before she had a chance to tell hers.
PZ and Lousy Canuck when they're accused of rape:

http://www.troll.me/images/pissed-off-o ... -lying.jpg

PZ and Lousy Canuck whenever someone in the out group is accused of rape:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/media.ids/4928 ... 46821f.jpg

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Where the fuck am I going to point and laugh while FtB hilariously crumbles if not for the pit?

There's also a strange beauty in the idea that once FtB sustained us, and now we sustain them.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Ape+lust wrote:
Excellent, but is that a CHOAD rather than a CHUD?

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Just a reminder that Watson has missed 6 weekly vlogs in a row.

I think we can call it.

http://i.imgur.com/QqdsE3O.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/TmUnRAw.jpg

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Online Harassment Insurance Is Useful, But It’s Another Tax On Women For Being Women
- by Soraya Chemaly
This week, Chubb, a global insurance company, announced “trolling insurance,” for its U.K. customers. A person can now buy insurance protection against online harassment. Policyholders will be able to claim up to £50,000 to pay for, among other things, therapeutic counseling, time spent not being able to work, or having to move. This idea, sound on the surface, is in the end, another lady tax.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

NPR's story, Should American women have to register for the draft seemed pretty weak when I heard it on the radio. Glad to see the commenters at the link seem to be better able to call a spade a spade, for example as one put it: "Very simply, equal rights must include equal responsibilities."

The transcript opens with:
NPR wrote:All right, this next story begins a simple question. Should women have to register for the draft? Turns out the answer is anything but simple. The Supreme Court seemed to settle things decades ago, but the basis for that ruling is gone after the Pentagon opened all military positions to women.
I particularly liked this exchange in the comments:
First dude wrote:By far our deadliest recent conflict was Viet Nam, a war fueled in large extent by drafting young males into combat. Had we faced the grim reality of our daughters also being in those body bags coming back, I doubt we would have become involved at all. Minimally, our Victorian values would never have allowed that obscene war to drag on for ten years.

A volunteer army invites military adventurism, as does an all-male draft as well as a system that drafts women but for non-combat roles only. Drafting women into combat is our best safeguard against such recklessness.
Second dude wrote:Are you suggesting we somehow value women's lives differently than men's lives?
First dude wrote:Yes
Second dude wrote:Okay. I agree that that's reality. I guess what I was really wondering was if people think it's right and that we should use it to the end you suggest, though.
First dude wrote:Hi, {Second dude}. Good points.

As to whether people think it (i.e., that putting a different value on human life is predicated upon gender) is right, I’d have to say that most people probably just don’t give it much thought. Things have always been a certain way so—in the line of thinking that I’m projecting here—it “must be right.”

As to whether we should use that erroneous notion (That there’s a sliding scale for the value of human life), I’d have to say this: If our reluctance to see our daughters in particular put into harm’s way gives us pause when considering rushing into fruitless conflicts, then—yes—I think we should use that bias. It might not be the best reason for avoiding unnecessary war, but if it works..............
Third dude wrote:We certainly value their work less.
First dude wrote:Whether you're right or wrong re: work, {Third dude}, the issue here is draft registration.
Second dude wrote:But according to {First dude's} post, we value their lives MORE.

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

Michael J

Post by Michael J »

Skep tickle wrote:Online Harassment Insurance Is Useful, But It’s Another Tax On Women For Being Women
- by Soraya Chemaly
This week, Chubb, a global insurance company, announced “trolling insurance,” for its U.K. customers. A person can now buy insurance protection against online harassment. Policyholders will be able to claim up to £50,000 to pay for, among other things, therapeutic counseling, time spent not being able to work, or having to move. This idea, sound on the surface, is in the end, another lady tax.
I'm sure that any SJW that takes it up will assume that Chubb will take their word for their harrassment. It will be a money spinner until they realise that insurance companies don't operate on "believe the victim"

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Abolishing the draft effectively cut the ruling elite in Washington off completely from the primarily working class Americans who actually sign up for military service.

I recall back in the mid-Bush years a story by a journalist who was a Vietnam vet ruminating on how few members of Congress had any family in the military compared to 30 years prior. And also how few of the up and coming generation of journalists had ever served.

Our modern volunteer military is effectively an underclass, fit to be sent off to die for the benefit of people who will never know them personally.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Brive1987 wrote: Initially I thought "good for you" before I checked my bigotry of low expectations.
I would know the sight and texture of Instant Buds Potatoes anywhere.

http://i.imgur.com/oUNuxqW.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/9az1M8b.jpg

Damn I loved the taste and texture when I was a kid. Perfect for backpacking since all you have to do is add hot water. The taste & texture is nothing like real mashed potatoes. The instant buds are to real mash potatoes as, Pringle's are to Potato Chips.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Really? wrote:

And what the fuck is he talking about? Both PZ and Lousy Canuck broke the news of the rape accusations against them themselves.

What a fucking cumguzzling retard who doesn't know how to research or is lying.
There is one more.
John Loftus, who blogged at FTB for a while, also faced a false rape accusation in the past. As far as I know it came from an ex wife or partner during a bitter separation.

It's funny how they now admit Avicenna was lying. At the time his outlandish fabrications were no less believable and yet they were taken as unquestionable truth. Even raising obvious questions about blatant discrepancies was seen as proof of our evil.
Now it's all.
"What? Avicenna? Why bring him up? He was a known liar! This just shows your desperation!"

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

cnut the great wrote:
Steersman wrote:And, pray tell, what would that "bullshit ideology" consist of? Inquiring minds and all that.
Think about it. What do the accusations against anonymous mooks like ElevatorGuy and DrBuzzo have in common with the accusations against well-known figures Radford, Shermer, and Krauss? They all serve to raise the profile of the one (re)broadcasting them, who can signal their virtue by righteously damning these men, thereby showing their concern for keeping (privileged, white, conference-hopping) women safe and comfortable.

If the goal were to actually keep women safe, we would see vigorous pursuit of fact-finding, rather than the social construction of a cacophonous clown-horn threat narrative, spun out from nothing less than the Emperor’s finest invisible raiment. ....
No doubt the examples you've given are more or less plausible characterizations of some people which might be a reasonable description of this prototypical - and stereotypical - entity known as "the social justice warrior!!". And which might reasonably be construed as being worthy of condemnation.

However, I think that what you and many others seem to have some difficulty addressing or comprehending is that, apparently, many people are all too quick to accuse people of that without any justification whatsoever. Rather like the way many "feminists" are too quick to condemn people as misogynists; rather like the way many "feminists" and transgender activists are too quick to condemn people as transphobic; rather like the way many leftists and Muslims and Islamists are too quick to condemn people as islamophobes. All of which tends to get people's backs up - not surprisingly - and which tends to cause them to "push-back", to attempt to "reclaim" the words or insist on a more rational definition. Consider this from the RationalWiki on the term:
"Social Justice Warrior" (abbreviated "SJW") is a snarl word used primarily by right-wingers on the internet (although even some hardline Maoists use the term[1]) to describe liberals, progressives, feminists, and supporters of political correctness. ....

It is now most often used by modern conservatives on the internet - especially Gamergaters, MRAs and reactionary and neoreactionary bloggers - to refer to anyone who expresses a point of view that is to the left of [4-chan].
While I expect there are any number or cases where the use of that term - and the other ones - is justified, using them inappropriately tends to be counterproductive at best - like the little boy crying "wolf" once too often. "We" might also keep in mind something from Emerson I ran across yesterday evening:

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Brive1987 wrote: Initially I thought "good for you" before I checked my bigotry of low expectations.
Never understood why somebody would take pictures of their food to show everyone. "Look everyone, I'm having sustenance!".
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CWlDLEjWsAAeVLi.jpg

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Maybe the Hobbit is not usually a good cook and he was pleased with what he achieved? Of all the things I will criticize people for, food is not one of them. It's not a moral stance, it's a quirk from childhood whereas for reasons unknown I find myself unable to bother, insult, anger or otherwise bugger someone while they're enjoying their food.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

This is also the reason why the Sad Keanu meme showing him with a sandwich alone on a bench actually made me sad (more so when you know the shit he's been through).

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Service Dog wrote:
Ape+lust wrote:
Excellent, but is that a CHOAD rather than a CHUD?
Yes sir, it is. Angry and average sized. Be afraid.

:D

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

fuzzy wrote:
You cheapened it!

Bless you. I wish I'd done that :lol: :lol:

BTW, it's because of you I had pics of the back of Carrier's head, plus that ludicrous popped collar. Thank you!

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Never understood the allure of brussels sprouts. Some people gobble them down like candy. To me they're sour little green testicles.

They're okay, I guess. Testicles I mean.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

If 2% of rape accusations are false, and there have been 3 false rape accusations against the FTB bloggers, then there should have been roughly 150 - 3 = 147 truthful rape accusations against them. Why haven't we heard about those? What are they hiding from us? It must be a haven of rapists over there, far worse than anything Michael Nugent could dream of.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Brive1987 wrote:Just a reminder that Watson has missed 6 weekly vlogs in a row.

I think we can call it.

http://i.imgur.com/QqdsE3O.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/TmUnRAw.jpg
Her contempt for the people who give her money is amazing. As is their indulgence.

I'm glad to see Jonathan McIntosh wasting his cash. Broke-ass Ashley Miller deserves better for her support, though.

And now I know why I knew this guy on sight:

http://imgur.com/fY89FCe.jpg

CFI's new appointee is a Rebecca-supporting fool. Pity.

piginthecity

Post by piginthecity »

Michael J wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:Online Harassment Insurance Is Useful, But It’s Another Tax On Women For Being Women
- by Soraya Chemaly
I'm sure that any SJW that takes it up will assume that Chubb will take their word for their harrassment. It will be a money spinner until they realise that insurance companies don't operate on "believe the victim"
Exactly right, Michael. I hope they bring this on, because, when there's a claim it'll be in the commercial interest of the company to investigate, and bogus victimhood claims will now be insurance fraud.

Also, it'll be interesting how much they'll charge for the premiums and what the small print is (can it be invalidated by the claimant's own online behaviour for example).

This could well turn out to be sunlight as a disinfectant.

piginthecity

Post by piginthecity »

Can we all just stop these snide and unwarranted attacks against Dr. Richard Carrier (PhD and Michelin Star).

His meal was cooked from SCRATCH.

By his OWN HANDS.

And it was DELICIOUS (the internet says so three times so it must be true)

piginthecity

Post by piginthecity »

Behold the new dawn of fashion and chic for the 21st Century !

Dinner plate and shirt matching floral motifs !

Carrier revolutionises yet another field of human achievement.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

I make a meal for my friends, try to make it delicious
Try to keep it nutritious, create wonderful dishes
Not one of them thinks about the way I feel
Nobody compliments the meal

I got hurt feelings, I got hurt feelings
I feel like a prized asshole, no one even mentions my casserole
I got hurt feelings, I got hurt feelings
You could've said something nice about my profiteroles
[youtube]EuJzSTNDUGI[/youtube]

piginthecity

Post by piginthecity »

Brian Engler - Don't know the fellow, but for a bit of speculation he's a "let it be knowner".

One of those who never actually put their name to any actual SJW fucknuttery, or specifically go on record as actually supporting any particular part of it, but just "let it be known" that they support the SJ league and they accept the victimhood narrative and make the right noises about "diversity" and "misogyny" and so forth when required, but always avoid these topics if they can.

The aim of this strategy is that you don't alienate sensible people by repeating the SJ dogmas too aggressively, while also cultivating an immunity from SJL attack by being seen as one of the in-group or at least a useful ally. If you have high enough status, then, if the SJL can merely point at you and say "He's on our side" even though you don't actually repeat their memes, then you've probably gained an immunity.

Being a "let it be knowner" may very well be an excellent piece of careerist positioning in an organisation like CFI at the moment. If a particular branch of the organisation is crawling with SJW's, then the reasoning might be that, rather than confront them, put someone in charge who they can accept as nominally an ally, who can then try to ride out the attack by steering the focus away from SJ dogma and towards the original aims of the organisation.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

piginthecity wrote:Can we all just stop these snide and unwarranted attacks against Dr. Richard Carrier (PhD and Michelin Star).

His meal was cooked from SCRATCH.

By his OWN HANDS.

And it was DELICIOUS (the internet says so three times so it must be true)
[youtube]MtntTvuv8Aw[/youtube]

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Hermann Steinpilz wrote:While I agree that Connie St Louis is to blame for starting the controversy, it is also worth examining the cultural climate in which the lies and smears by such a disreputable "science journalist" could be taken as scripture and amplified a thousand-fold -- without any proper investigation -- against the word of an eminent scientist with a stellar reputation. Isn't this extraordinary? I believe it is a symptom of the cancer in our society, and especially in academia, that is identity politics.

Identity politics is practiced and propagated by people who are commonly labelled Social Justice Warriors. Of course, the term 'warrior' is sarcasm. They are the opposite of warriors. What they do is little else but language policing, witch-hunting on Twitter, and smearing their opponents. They do almost nothing to actually promote social justice, because they are mainly interested in signalling their own righteousness, not in changing the economic status quo. Like any cult-like or quasi-religious group, they also cherish a good number of dogmas. And these, I think, hold the key to understanding the Tim Hunt debacle.

Here are some SJW articles of faith:

1. Listen and believe (also known as Shut up and Listen). The words spoken by a member of an oppressed minority should not be questioned. As a black woman (or a WoC -- a Woman of Colour -- as an SJW would put it), Connie St Louis should not be challenged. You do not ask for evidence when a WoC asserts something. You listen and believe.

2. Punching up. A member of an oppressed minority (which in SJW world includes women) is entitled to behave in a nasty way, by virtue of being oppressed. Such behaviour is called 'punching up'. Connie St Louis can lie and smear to her heart's content; she is just punching up.

3. Check your privilege. Privileged people have an undeserved advantage in our society. So it is only reasonable to take them a notch down. Tim Hunt's status as a celebrated scientist has given him enormous privilege; this made him fair game.

4. White males are inherently privileged. In a just world they should not have this privilege. Therefore, white men must be vilified at every opportunity. Even other white males (especially 'feminist allies') will engage in this pastime. This explains why some of the loudest critics of Tim Hunt were men as white and privileged as he. They were signalling their ally status to the other SJWs. They were saying "Yes, we are white men, unfortunately, but we are fighting on the right side."

5. The Patriarchy is real. People like Tim Hunt represent the Patriarchy. The Patriarchy must be destroyed. You can't create an omelette without breaking eggs. Even if Sir Tim proved to be a decent fellow, the destruction of his reputation was in the interest of a good cause, and therefore defensible.

6. Members of an oppressed minority cannot be sexist or racist. SJWs have invented the convenient notion that sexism or racism are to be defined as "prejudice + power". Oppressed minorities lack power, therefore they cannot be sexist or racist. QED. On the other hand, almost anything even slightly critical uttered by a white man about a member of an oppressed minority is labelled sexism or racism. At the very least, he is punching down (the opposite of punching up, therefore bad).

7. Criticism is victim blaming. Criticizing members of an oppressed minority for not doing enough to improve their own situation is victim blaming.

8. Criticizing SJWs is harassment. When SJWs are attacked for their lies and smear tactics they will immediately curl up and play the victim. They will label the attacks as harassment.

9. Doubling down. If you do not immediately accept criticism from the SJWs, if you dare to object, you are 'doubling down'. If you do that, you are wrong, because SJWs are always right.

Etc.

It is my contention that the behaviour of the more rabid critics of Tim Hunt is perfectly explained by the assumption that they are SJWs who adhere to these dogmas.
http://pangrammaticon.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... again.html

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

- by Soraya Chemaly
See, I heard people talking about this, and the focus was on protecting the Sarkesians of the world, but I really think this is much more targetted at the Hunt's and the Taylor's and the Sacco's.

I.E. protecting people from the harassment of the regressive left.

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

I need to vent a bit.

Just received a second noise complaint from the City Council on behalf of one of my neighbours. Got the first one about a month ago, alleging that I was playing the same song on repeat all day, and banging doors and walls. This is mostly bullshit. I practice my guitar in the evenings. Sometimes I'll play the same song two or three times in a row, against a backing track or the original recording, to get it right. The banging doors and walls thing is just made up, but I figure the music thing probably has some justice to it, so I spend a substantial amount of money on a digital interface so I can play through my computer speakers - much quieter than my practice amp (my proper amp lives at the band's practice space out of town), no louder than listening to mp3s or watching Youtube - or through headphones. I've always had a rule of not playing before 10am or after 9pm, and I very rarely play that early or that late.

The new complaint claims I play from 6 to 11pm most nights. It's addressed to "the occupier" even though I wrote to the council after the first complaint, so they know my name.

The council are now going to investigate the complaint by giving my neighbour noise logs to fill in. If they document it accurately I'm pretty confident the council will say it's perfectly reasonable to practice a musical instrument at a reasonable volume in the evenings after work, or late morning/early afternoon at the weekends. But if they're prepared to make shit up like playing the same song all day, banging doors and walls, and playing to 11pm, who's to say they'll document it accurately?

I live in a terraced house. I remember when I first moved in, having grown up in a detached house, it took me while to get used to being able to hear the people next door, and not think there was someone in my house when the neighbours went up and down the stairs. My neighbours on both sides seem to be new, I don't know either of them and I don't know which of them made the complaint. I hope I haven't got one of those crazy neighbours who objects to any noise at all. Still. I've inherited a third of the proceeds of selling my mum's house, and am looking to upgrade my accommodation. Somewhere a bit further away from other people might be nice.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

- by Soraya Chemaly
I find her concern for high taxes to be selective, disingenuous.

SM12

Post by SM12 »

piginthecity wrote:Behold the new dawn of fashion and chic for the 21st Century !

Dinner plate and shirt matching floral motifs !

Carrier revolutionises yet another field of human achievement.
I would gladly pay 200 dollars for the chance to eat such a dinner, chez Richard... partly because I know what I will be getting for dessert afterwards.

Only joking!

I would never pay that, because I have to save my money for the signed, limited hardback edition of his self-published, peer-reviewed recipe book.

piginthecity

Post by piginthecity »

SM12 wrote:
I would never pay that, because I have to save my money for the signed, limited hardback edition of his self-published, peer-reviewed recipe book.
"Richard Carrier PhD's Polyamorous Lifestyle Meals For One"

SM12

Post by SM12 »

piginthecity wrote:
SM12 wrote:
It seems as though his wife supported him financially for many years, while also doing most of the cooking.

He had a good thing going for him until she found out about his polyamorous lifestyle.

piginthecity

Post by piginthecity »

SM12 wrote:
piginthecity wrote:
SM12 wrote:
It seems as though his wife supported him financially for many years, while also doing most of the cooking.

He had a good thing going for him until she found out about his polyamorous lifestyle.
Yes, it's notable that neither his years of faithful domestic help to his breadwinner wife or his hectic multi-girlfriend oriented social life of which the rest of us can only dream have yielded any pics of Carrier cuisine, but a lonely meal of plain meat and one vegetable is up on the internet and begging for our validation.

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

paddybrown wrote:The council are now going to investigate the complaint by giving my neighbour noise logs to fill in.
Request a noise log to fill in, yourself.

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

A dozen Belgian oysters, some mashed potatoes, and a shoe-sole steak: $10

Matching plates and blouse: $20

Dinner with the only person to be your actual peer (i.e., yourself): priceless

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

- by Soraya Chemaly

Would be nice to see Sarkeesian busted for insurance fraud. Or see Chemaly told she's uninsurable, after getting rape-triggered by a college sports mascot.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/soraya-ch ... 65756.html

This is the 3rd time I've posted that link. According to Chemaly, I just graduated from 'harassment' to 'bullying'

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

paddybrown wrote:I need to vent a bit.

Just received a second noise complaint from the City Council on behalf of one of my neighbours. Got the first one about a month ago, alleging that I was playing the same song on repeat all day, and banging doors and walls. This is mostly bullshit. I practice my guitar in the evenings. Sometimes I'll play the same song two or three times in a row, against a backing track or the original recording, to get it right. The banging doors and walls thing is just made up, but I figure the music thing probably has some justice to it, so I spend a substantial amount of money on a digital interface so I can play through my computer speakers - much quieter than my practice amp (my proper amp lives at the band's practice space out of town), no louder than listening to mp3s or watching Youtube - or through headphones. I've always had a rule of not playing before 10am or after 9pm, and I very rarely play that early or that late.

The new complaint claims I play from 6 to 11pm most nights. It's addressed to "the occupier" even though I wrote to the council after the first complaint, so they know my name.

The council are now going to investigate the complaint by giving my neighbour noise logs to fill in. If they document it accurately I'm pretty confident the council will say it's perfectly reasonable to practice a musical instrument at a reasonable volume in the evenings after work, or late morning/early afternoon at the weekends. But if they're prepared to make shit up like playing the same song all day, banging doors and walls, and playing to 11pm, who's to say they'll document it accurately?

I live in a terraced house. I remember when I first moved in, having grown up in a detached house, it took me while to get used to being able to hear the people next door, and not think there was someone in my house when the neighbours went up and down the stairs. My neighbours on both sides seem to be new, I don't know either of them and I don't know which of them made the complaint. I hope I haven't got one of those crazy neighbours who objects to any noise at all. Still. I've inherited a third of the proceeds of selling my mum's house, and am looking to upgrade my accommodation. Somewhere a bit further away from other people might be nice.
If your music can be heard at all inside of other people's homes, then it's too loud and should be switched to headphones. It's not fair otherwise. Music evokes various emotions far stronger than the ordinary random household sounds (dishes, doors, etc), and it can evoke very different emotions from person to person. Being a captive audience to someone else's choice in music can make people quite miserable. The same goes for workplace music, with the only exceptions being when the music is necessary for customer ambience. People shouldn't play it loud enough that their co-workers or neighbours can hear it at all when they're at their work stations or in their homes.

Nothing personal. Being a captive audience to other people's music is a huge pet peeve of mine.