Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
welch

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by welch »

Steersman wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:
welch wrote:Reap, just listened to the podcast with justicar. Fucking hilarious man.
Ooooo! Ok, I'm a lazy bitch - link?
Just in passing and somewhat related to Reap’s podcast, you might not yet be aware that PZ has now banned you and Reap and added both of you to his “Dungeon” [ooh ….] Also that he seems to have deleted all of your comments in that “Douche defends douching” thread of his, along with those of both Reap and Noelplum; that boy is turning out to be a real dickhead.

And, since it also seems somewhat apropos, he referred to yours truly and the reason for my own banning there in shockingly unflattering terms:
PZ wrote:(By the way, the claim that I called the vulva “odious” is typical of this guy. I did not. I was sarcastically referring to the anti-woman attitude of raving misogynist troll who was banned for his bigotry.)
And not only is he a dickhead, but his ability to reason seems to be rather compromised by his proximity to bullshit, notably of the feminist variety. Even assuming that this is the mechanism in play in those types of insults (somewhat of a serious stretch - where are the citations when you really need them), that someone is pointing out that some vulvas may be “odious” – as is the case with pricks and assholes and nostrils and fingernails – is hardly justification for anyone else concluding that the party of the first part is saying that the attribute applies to either the persons or the feature of all those who possess the feature in question. Methinks the boy needs a first course in logic and reasoning. Either that or some testosterone replacement therapy ….

I'm still not bannned, neener. But i refuse to do any work to get banned. If I can't get banned just by being an asshole over here and on my site, it's not worth trying for.

Notung

Post by Notung »

JayTeeAitch wrote:
CommanderTuvok wrote:Skepdirt seems to think he has evidence linking OOLON to ElevatorGATE's blog going down.

http://skepdirt.wordpress.com/2012/11/2 ... uspension/
What do they mean by members only forum? I'm a member but I can't access it. If they meant admin only forum then how come oolan and setar can access it?
Maybe it's a 'definitely not a troll' forum. Although they're wrong - at least one is a troll since the posts were leaked!

Al Stefanelli

Post by Al Stefanelli »

PZ has a dungeon?

Oh, new video...

[youtube]oGcudlUOY1c[/youtube]

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

ScooterKPFT wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:Good to know about PCRM & PETA. From their wiki page: PCRM's founder, Dr. Neal Barnard, "has called cheese 'dairy crack'".
Do you have a problem with crack?
Ever tried it?
It is delicious.
More like junk food than cheese, tho.
It doesn't compare to a really harsh Swiss.|

Cheese is more addicting than crack, he has a point.
The thing that put me off this drug of choice was builder's crack.

http://newsbiscuit.com/wp-content/uploa ... 50x150.jpg

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

welch wrote:
Steersman wrote: ...
And, since it also seems somewhat apropos, he referred to yours truly and the reason for my own banning there in shockingly unflattering terms:
PZ wrote:(By the way, the claim that I called the vulva “odious” is typical of this guy. I did not. I was sarcastically referring to the anti-woman attitude of raving misogynist troll who was banned for his bigotry.)
….
I'm still not bannned, neener. But i refuse to do any work to get banned. If I can't get banned just by being an asshole over here and on my site, it's not worth trying for.
:-) I wasn’t really trying either – just sort of fell into that “blessed” state. Although I notice that both PZ and Ophelia generally or frequently use just posting here as sufficient reason to qualify people as untouchables – talking of ostracism ….

Notung

Post by Notung »

What? The AntiAtheismPlus subreddit mod just deleted my anti-atheismplus post because apparently that subreddit is only for anti-atheismplus posts. Er...

Say what you want about the 'other side'. Some people on 'our side' are stupid as hell.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

I'm confused.
Depending on who’s reading me at any given time, I’m either a gender-bender, a gender-is-WTF?, a transman, a transwoman, a cisman, or a ciswoman.
So, is HaifischGeweint not a trans* but a * ? But then, how can xit possibly check xits privilege?

Someone should introduce HG to Simpleflower, the pro-cannibalistic trans* A+ forum commenter who dreams of living in a radioactively poisoned wasteland. I have the feeling that they are made for each other. What could possibly go wrong? (Predator versus Alien comes to mind.)

http://freethoughtblogs.com/crommunist/ ... ent-103113

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Notung wrote:That's half the reason why I don't post on Pharyngula. I'd go straight in the dungeon with a comment about how I'm a racist, a sexist, a homophobe, stupid, dumb, idiotic and worst of all, a 'Slymepitter'.

The other half is that the commenters there don't value rational discussion, so it would be pointless and frustrating.
Definitely some rather trollish behaviour from some of PZ’s commentariat – even PZ himself, at least in that recent thread; some serious lack of “arguing in good faith”. For instance PZ argued, sensibly, that people shouldn’t be judged on the basis of the characteristics of the group. Which Noelplum, among others, seemed to be largely on board with – only that he, I think, was arguing that there are cases where it is appropriate. Seems to me that different car insurance rates depending on one’s demographics is a case in point. Seemingly something that PZ couldn't quite wrap his head around.

Seems to me that there’s some arguing at cross purposes over there, apparently a consequence of “my country, right or wrong” type of thinking.

BoxNDox

Post by BoxNDox »

ReneeHendricks wrote: Yeah, that was brought to my attention today. I'm trying very hard to shed a tear about being placed in the "dungeon" *after* I said I was done with posting on his blog...wait for it...it'll happen soon, I'm sure.
Sticking a finger in my eye works for me. Or chopping lots of onions.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Notung wrote:What? The AntiAtheismPlus subreddit mod just deleted my anti-atheismplus post because apparently that subreddit is only for anti-atheismplus posts. Er...

Say what you want about the 'other side'. Some people on 'our side' are stupid as hell.
Amen to that as well, although, as you suggest, “our side” is a somewhat nebulous term – sort of like “Real Christians ™ ”. For instance, you may have noticed an interesting observation by Justicar in Reap’s podcast about some of the MRA nutters over on A Voice for Men (I think that was the reference). And for further evidence of that you might want to take a look at the Man Boobz site.

Notung

Post by Notung »

Well, I don't consider someone on 'our side' just because they're an MRA. I'm not an MRA and I'm not fighting for 'men's rights'. I'm also using 'sides' talk slightly ironically (hence why I always put it in scare-quotes) - it's a lot more complex than us-vs-them, I realise.

Also, I think the person who deleted my post was the same guy that Myers criticised in the douching post.

Outwest

Post by Outwest »

Reap wrote:
welch wrote:Reap, just listened to the podcast with justicar. Fucking hilarious man.

Thanks! If anyone is interested, posted the newest ReapSowRadio this morning http://www.reapsowradio.com/?p=31265
Listened to it this afternoon. You and Al are great to listen to. I like how you have a Slymepit segment as well.

Outwest

Post by Outwest »

Notung wrote:Well, I don't consider someone on 'our side' just because they're an MRA. I'm not an MRA and I'm not fighting for 'men's rights'. I'm also using 'sides' talk slightly ironically (hence why I always put it in scare-quotes) - it's a lot more complex than us-vs-them, I realise.

Also, I think the person who deleted my post was the same guy that Myers criticised in the douching post.
Ghost of box Turtle? I think that's the one Myers was criticizing.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Gumby wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:Great PR, living on their past good works, now a greater menace in the arena than the evils they puport to fight, funded and supported by the gullible, staffed by ideologues, and a comfortable living for those at the top of the food chain.
You may as well be talking about certain FtB and Skepchick bloggers.
Aye.

I like to let people make their own conclusions instead of stating it myself. Sometimes however, people derail themselves, for example the video with Walter Williams on central planning.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Listening to the podcast. Justicar says he is not a MRA! Boo! Burn the bitch witch cunt!

(Just kidding, actually I am sorry that he stuck the flounce and I am aware some people here are not too fond of him).

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

And now for something completely different.

Glenn Beck puts Obama doll in a jar of urine.

*awkward smile and nod*

Yeeeeah.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

More on the podcast :

19 super secret undercover harassment police and Amy found this creepy. Hmmmmm, why creepy? Seems to me that if you are not a harasser you have nothing to fear? (/snark)

Unless you fear that you may be open somehow to be charged and convicted out of hand with harassement yourself?

(/snark /snark)

Outwest

Post by Outwest »

Pitchguest wrote:And now for something completely different.

*awkward smile and nod*

Yeeeeah.
I read yesterday that he put it up for bid on EBay. Had a bid of over $11k before EBay made him take it down.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Lets get something straight here pz.

I am not an MRA. Regardless of the fact that i despise labels of that type as they are tabloid shorthand intended to engender a specific bias towards the target, they betray the intellectual complexities of the issues contained within.

There are most definate issues with the cultural and legal realities of most western societies where both male and females do not find the justice that equality would demand.

Your ostracising and demonisation of anyone who focuses on the male portion of the gender equality debate, is fitting of someone who either does not comprehend the complexities, or of someone whose mind is so entrenched in their own bigotry, dogma and anti intellectualism that they are unable to enter into a genuine weighed discussion. And therefore are unable to contribute anything of worth to the debate.

In short. Fuck off.

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

Jan Steen wrote:I'm confused.
Depending on who’s reading me at any given time, I’m either a gender-bender, a gender-is-WTF?, a transman, a transwoman, a cisman, or a ciswoman.
So, is HaifischGeweint not a trans* but a * ? But then, how can xit possibly check xits privilege?

Someone should introduce HG to Simpleflower, the pro-cannibalistic trans* A+ forum commenter who dreams of living in a radioactively poisoned wasteland. I have the feeling that they are made for each other. What could possibly go wrong? (Predator versus Alien comes to mind.)

http://freethoughtblogs.com/crommunist/ ... ent-103113
I said it before. HaifischGeweint is Setar. Surely there can't be two such nutty transexual people in Vancouver?

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Notung wrote:Well, I don't consider someone on 'our side' just because they're an MRA. I'm not an MRA and I'm not fighting for 'men's rights'. I'm also using 'sides' talk slightly ironically (hence why I always put it in scare-quotes) - it's a lot more complex than us-vs-them, I realise.
And I hadn’t been thinking that you personally were considering that – which is why I also put “our side” in scare quotes. It’s just that some people when they see you shooting at a target that other people are shooting at tend to leap to the conclusion that you’re both on the same “side” – which gets a little problematic, notably because it falls afoul of the “if you’re not with us then you’re against us” crowd. And we all know where and what that leads to.

But, for instance, Justicar (how I hate putting his name in my mouth [again] – but whacha going to do when he makes such great points) has, of course, been taking all sorts of generally credible shots at FTB/Skepchick/AtheismPlus people for some time which has “bought” him some credibility over at A Voice for Men as well as, I think, some presence on several podcasts over there.

However, he also did a post or a video recently that criticized some study which had been discussed on AVfM on the “causes” of divorce [“always teh wymnn”] which wasn’t all that credible – and which was, apparently, the proximate cause of a significant amount of umbrage directed Justicar’s way by some AVfM blogger or commenter – as if the latter was saying, “Aw, come on man – I thought you were on ‘our’ side”. And Justicar’s response, at least as suggested by my recollection of his comments in Reap’s podcast, seems to be, more or less, “When you’re talking credible truth then I’ll support that and if you’re talking crap then I won’t.” Personally I would rather have him have my back than most or many of the FTB/Skepchick/AtheismPlus crowd since the latter are more likely to stab me in the back than defend it because their feelings got hurt – principles generally being the more durable anchor and not commonly found in fair-weather friends.

Which is sort of why I quoted “our side” – the question is, I think, which principles are espoused – and defended in the breach.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Za-zen wrote:Lets get something straight here pz.

I am not an MRA. Regardless of the fact that i despise labels of that type as they are tabloid shorthand intended to engender a specific bias towards the target, they betray the intellectual complexities of the issues contained within.

There are most definate issues with the cultural and legal realities of most western societies where both male and females do not find the justice that equality would demand.

Your ostracising and demonisation of anyone who focuses on the male portion of the gender equality debate, is fitting of someone who either does not comprehend the complexities, or of someone whose mind is so entrenched in their own bigotry, dogma and anti intellectualism that they are unable to enter into a genuine weighed discussion. And therefore are unable to contribute anything of worth to the debate.

In short. Fuck off.
Yes.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Za-zen wrote:Lets get something straight here pz.

<snip snip>

In short. Fuck off.
LMAO.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

*awkward smile and nod*

Yeeeeah.
Heh! Am I the only one who thought of the "piss christ" business immediately?

Notung

Post by Notung »

I just had another look at the AntiAtheismPlus subreddit. They're seriously deleting all posts and comments that aren't 100% opposed to atheism+. Do these guys even know what it is they're objecting to?!

sacha

Post by sacha »

Za-zen wrote:I want lecter's cookbook.

Music to die to, and therefore by definition, live to. If you fail to appreciate this, i have no qualms about stating that you are most definately a lower form of life.
I'll raise you - my favourite piece of music. Must be played loud. Ocean Music, otherwise known as Saint John's Passion by the master J.S. Bach. If you simply can't listen to the entire thing, the first five minutes are breathtaking. This with quality headphones while watching the ocean is orgasmic.

[youtube]oBJ3cQ5uyE4[/youtube]

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

AndrewV69 wrote:

*awkward smile and nod*

Yeeeeah.
Heh! Am I the only one who thought of the "piss christ" business immediately?
No – rang the same bell for me too. Somewhat apropos, something from Michael Shermer’s The Believing Brain:
Even the belief that the government can impose top-down measures to rescue the economy is a form of agenticity, with President Obama being hailed with almost messianic powers as “the one” who will save us. [pg 88]
Or, as JFK said, “Ask not what your country can do for you ….”

Notung

Post by Notung »

Steersman wrote:...as if the latter was saying, “Aw, come on man – I thought you were on ‘our’ side”...
Yep and that's pretty much been my problem with the whole thing since the start. I don't like the way a discussion on any issue always seems to be brought round to a discussion or comment about the individuals making the argument. I didn't like "The Privilege Delusion" because it talked about Richard Dawkins as a person, while he was trying to discuss the actual issue (i.e. elevator ethics)... and so on.

sacha

Post by sacha »

Dilurk wrote:
sacha wrote: hahaha!

Some of us don't proselytize. Don't try to shove meat in my face, and I won't try to convince you of vegetarianism. I have no problem sitting across from someone eating meat at a restaurant. I've never had a problem with my carnivore friends
I suppose I should mention that it is often the newly-herbivore with the most annoying dialogue. Just like the newly sober and the newly non-smoker.
Dilurk wrote:Tell me about it. And then there are the 'vegetarians' who eat fish. You eat fish, that's meat, you are no vegetarian. But then I hear people telling me "Yes, but people that call themselves vegetarians eat fish!". I tell you, Identity politics is everywhere!
hahahaaaaa! Fish are not vegetables.

growing children are perfectly fine on a vegetarian diet, as long as one knows what to eat. Cats, on the other hand will die a miserable death. Cats are truly carnivores, Dogs can be vegetarians, but mine isn't. Dogs are omnivores like humans.

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

Have any of you guys seen this meme? I'm sure you have - I am behind the times.

http://fuckyeahsocialjusticesally.tumblr.com/

It's giving me PTSD flashbacks. And her name is Sally!

And then I read this:

http://offbeatempire.com/2012/10/liberal-bullying

And it appears to me that the FTB thing is not unique, and this kind of shit is going on in lots of places. Well fuck me sideways in church. In all honesty I had no idea.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Notung wrote:
Steersman wrote:...as if the latter was saying, “Aw, come on man – I thought you were on ‘our’ side”...
Yep and that's pretty much been my problem with the whole thing since the start. I don't like the way a discussion on any issue always seems to be brought round to a discussion or comment about the individuals making the argument. I didn't like "The Privilege Delusion" because it talked about Richard Dawkins as a person, while he was trying to discuss the actual issue (i.e. elevator ethics)... and so on.
Agreed.

Reminds me of something I read quite some time ago, something to the effect that small people talk about other people, mediocre people talk about things, and great people talk about ideas. While that is somewhat pretentious and rather simplistic, I think there’s a grain or two of truth in the concept. Seems to me it is the ideas and principles that we share that provides some necessary unification through some common ground – as opposed to the personal and petty and picayune details that frequently divide us. Or, as a character in Robert Louis Stevenson’s Kidnapped put it, “We hang together or we hang alone.”

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Notung wrote:I just had another look at the AntiAtheismPlus subreddit. They're seriously deleting all posts and comments that aren't 100% opposed to atheism+. Do these guys even know what it is they're objecting to?!
I don't do Reddit, but it sounds like they have become what they are opposed to. Pity.

fascination

Post by fascination »

ERV wrote:
Anyone here with migraine pro-tips, Id welcome them. Since they switched my BC a while back, they have increased in intensity + some 'bonus' migraines (no headache, all the side-effects like nausea, vertigo, sensitivity, except EXTREME, wtf?) My current pills (fiorinal) arent cutting it anymore. Thinking about asking for the serotonin ones-- anyone here have experience with them? Can I take an Imitrex and still work (Im too afraid to take a barbiturate at work, which means I wait till I get home, which means the pain increases until I can get home)?
Hey Abbie! I am a fellow migraine sufferer also. I see that you've already received some great tips but I will go ahead and add mine. Imitrex usually worked for me but I preferred Maxalt. If that didn't work then I would take Excedrin or Fioricet with codeine. I know that there is a risk of rebound headaches if you overuse Fioricet but I would only take it a few times a month so it was never an issue. I found it to be very effective but with the barbiturate and narcotic in it you can't drive on it. However, I no longer have migraines. I went from 2 to 3 a week down to zero for the past several months. The reason? When I was recently diagnosed with epilepsy, my neurologist prescribed me Topamax. Topamax is an anti seizure medication but it is also prescribed as a preventative drug for migraines. The catch is that the side effects are terrible. I don't want to make this a really long post but I have never been on such a horrid medicine. The upside is that you do adjust to it and if you are being prescribed Topamax solely for migraines then you will be on a much lower dose than I am. The higher the dose, the worse the side effects are for most people. Of course everyone is different and you may not have the same experience with the drug as me. Suffice to say though, I would try propranolol first if you are looking for a preventative medication. I did try propranolol a long time ago but I have very low blood pressure so I couldn't stay on it as it dropped my BP too low.
Of course I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice. I'm just relaying my personal experience. I hope it helps.

fascination

Post by fascination »

lost control wrote:
Well, my gal's still in the hospital, they're doing a lot of tests, which is good, but it sucks not to be informed of:
- possibility, but has been ruled out
- possibility, still checking
yeah, I'm somewhat out of my mind, doesn't usually happen, that I'm completely fucked up and crying in front of my mother.
My gal seems to be on the mend, but who knows what else will come up. And the meds she gotta take aren't exactly great, but it could be way worse, so, for now "all good".
Going back to catching up and lurking.
And, I'm so grateful that I may cut the week short, and go to the place I live, so I can actually visit her on Friday and get a chance to speaking to her doctors.
I'm sorry about your SO. I hope she gets better soon. Hang in there hon.

tachikoma

Post by tachikoma »

Cunning Punt wrote:Have any of you guys seen this meme? I'm sure you have - I am behind the times.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_md1ov ... o1_500.jpg
"If you refuse to call a creationist an idiot because ZOMG ABLEIST! but don’t even hesitate to tell a teenager to kill themselves because they wanted to have a calm discusion about appropriation or whatever with you, your prioritites are seriously fucked up."

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn »

Cunning Punt wrote:Have any of you guys seen this meme? I'm sure you have - I am behind the times.

And then I read this:

And it appears to me that the FTB thing is not unique, and this kind of shit is going on in lots of places. Well fuck me sideways in church. In all honesty I had no idea.
Yeah, they aren't special, and they didn't invent it. It's an invasion of a particularly fucked-up and virulent cult into the atheist/skeptic world. real skepticism is an inoculation against this kind of shit, but once you open the door, it comes flooding in faster than you can close it again, and it's almost impossible to be rid of. Just ask... well, everyone who's ever had to deal with it.

Reap

Post by Reap »

Just cause it makes me smile

http://www.reapsowradio.com/graphics/banned.png

Officially I would like to publicly state that whether PZ Myers likes it or not I will at some point be telling him to "get fucked" straight to his face (unless he drops dead, in that case I will be doing a simple and clumsy but enthusiastic dance) this is not a threat of violence it will be an attempt to engage in a dialog that may bring closure to our disagreement. It should also be noted that PZ Myers will continue to do interviews on my podcast because he just can not stop himself, it's that simple. I'll close by saying ha ha ha ha fuckin ha!
Thank you

sidenote: Renee I added your blog to the blogroll lets schedule a time for a podcast

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Reap - that would be great! Oh, and an honor to be "on top" of you on the infamous dun-dun-DUN! dungeon :D PM me here or via my email (which I think is, like, everywhere - I should be getting a lot more penis enlargement spam, I'm tellin' ya).

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

In other news:

Nanny jailed over false rape claim after one-night stand with boss
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -boss.html

(and BTW I consider this to be fallout from the feminist promotion of "rape culture" an increase in the reporting of false rape convictions)

I am surprised at the length of the sentance though. I am accustomed to seeing the women who do this get off with no more than a slap on the wrist. Perhaps the authoritys are getting tired of it?

In any event, (and in my case) I noticed that somewhere during the last ten years I stopped automatically believing women who claimed they were raped.

It took a lot less longer to believe claims of harassment/threats/mysogny and so on by the usual suspects. Something about crying wolf one too often I suppose, tends to use up social capital.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

And then I read this:

Interesting; I too had been unaware this kind of stuff was more widespread (within SJ-focused groups, at least).

Someone posted a link to this article in the Privilege Discussion thread at A+ forum. He/she links to ceepolk's reply, & I haven't yet looked ahead to see how much of the subsequent 6 pages are about this article.

ceepolk's comment on the offbeatempire post:
http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic ... 027#p34027

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Skep tickle wrote:

And then I read this:

Interesting; I too had been unaware this kind of stuff was more widespread (within SJ-focused groups, at least).

Someone posted a link to this article in the Privilege Discussion thread at A+ forum. He/she links to ceepolk's reply, & I haven't yet looked ahead to see how much of the subsequent 6 pages are about this article.

ceepolk's comment on the offbeatempire post:
Looks like it touched a nerve judging from the ceepolk response. Hit a bulls eye did it?

tachikoma

Post by tachikoma »

Skep tickle wrote:ceepolk's comment on the offbeatempire post:
Before reading that I had guessed it would contain some of this. I was a little surprised (I know, I shouldn't be) that the whole post was nothing but that meme in forum post form.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Reap wrote:Just cause it makes me smile

http://www.reapsowradio.com/graphics/banned.png

Officially I would like to publicly state that whether PZ Myers likes it or not I will at some point be telling him to "get fucked" straight to his face (unless he drops dead, in that case I will be doing a simple and clumsy but enthusiastic dance) this is not a threat of violence it will be an attempt to engage in a dialog that may bring closure to our disagreement. It should also be noted that PZ Myers will continue to do interviews on my podcast because he just can not stop himself, it's that simple. I'll close by saying ha ha ha ha fuckin ha!
Thank you

sidenote: Renee I added your blog to the blogroll lets schedule a time for a podcast
I'm surprised he hasn't added noelplum to the list yet, with the caption "the patriarchy personified."

By the way, that's Myers logic for you: say there's not a blacklist, own a seperate place on his blog with three sections, "Officers", "Purgatory" (peezus christ), and lastly, "The Dungeon", where all offenders gets a *ahem* "black mark" on their permanent record (even someone who's dead) with a pitch black font in the background. :confusion-shrug:

Also, an "Officers" section? What is he, running a fucking guild or something?

And commenters who's annoyed him but not enough to get banned gets sent to "Purgatory", because when you get out of someone else's religion, you need to create your own, and what better way than the creed of Peezus himself:
There is only one guy in charge. I, PZ Myers, am the absolute despot in charge of the comments section. I can shut you out, I can delete your comments, I can disemvowel them if I please. Get it out of your head that I am a benevolent dictator; the only thing saving your ass is that I’m an incredibly lazy dictator. Your best strategy for continuing your posting privileges is to avoid rousing my attention.
Or he shall smite you down, with righteous vengeance!
Do not cross me on matters of site management. Do not argue with me. Do not tell me who to ban or who not to ban. I am cruel and pitiless. I will laugh at your feeble protestations. If you have a concern that I have abused my power, send me a personal email for consideration of your complaint. I will think about it.
Fucking idiot.

Endorsed by Ed Brayton. I kept a screenshot from that discussion on NSC's video, where he justified his defense of Greg Laden after he'd threatened Justin Griffiths (and most likely he will use a similar excuse for PZ's antics), which I shall repost here for posterity:

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/5254/braytonidiot.jpg

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

justinvacula wrote:http://i.imgur.com/ejNcF.jpg
Yeah. Remind me, Justin, just who has Ophelia Benson, Stephanie Zvan, et al. been on about these past few months?

Hmmmmmmmmmm. :think:

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

No, really. It's on the tip of my tongue. I can almost mouth it out.

Like it starts with a J or something? Help me out here!

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Gumby wrote:
Notung wrote:I just had another look at the AntiAtheismPlus subreddit. They're seriously deleting all posts and comments that aren't 100% opposed to atheism+. Do these guys even know what it is they're objecting to?!
I don't do Reddit, but it sounds like they have become what they are opposed to. Pity.
Well they are anti-atheismplus, so at least they're committed to staying on message.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

AndrewV69 wrote:In other news:

(and BTW I consider this to be fallout from the feminist promotion of "rape culture" an increase in the reporting of false rape convictions)

I am surprised at the length of the sentance though. I am accustomed to seeing the women who do this get off with no more than a slap on the wrist. Perhaps the authoritys are getting tired of it?

In any event, (and in my case) I noticed that somewhere during the last ten years I stopped automatically believing women who claimed they were raped.

It took a lot less longer to believe claims of harassment/threats/mysogny and so on by the usual suspects. Something about crying wolf one too often I suppose, tends to use up social capital.
From the article:
'But this is serious because people who make false allegations make it harder for real victims to be believed.'
Do we have a term for the ethical position that it's wrong to cause harm to an actual innocent male only because it may cause harm, eventually, to hypothetical females?

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Mykeru wrote: Do we have a term for the ethical position that it's wrong to cause harm to an actual innocent male only because it may cause harm, eventually, to hypothetical females?
Wrong is wrong no matter what sex you are talking about. Sounds like a "tribal" position to take if you are concerned about the outcome only because it would affect "your" side. Does not sound very ethical to me actually.

With that said, what term were you thinking of?

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

First sighting in the wild!
http://i.imgur.com/PWV4N.jpg

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Mykeru wrote: Do we have a term for the ethical position that it's wrong to cause harm to an actual innocent male only because it may cause harm, eventually, to hypothetical females?
Wrong is wrong no matter what sex you are talking about. Sounds like a "tribal" position to take if you are concerned about the outcome only because it would affect "your" side. Does not sound very ethical to me actually.

I was thinking along the lines of "fucking horseshit" but wanted something a little more clinical-sounding.

AnonymousCowherd

Post by AnonymousCowherd »

Mykeru wrote:
I was thinking along the lines of "fucking horseshit" but wanted something a little more clinical-sounding.
Collateral dommage?

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Pitchguest wrote: I'm surprised he hasn't added noelplum to the list yet, with the caption "the patriarchy personified."

By the way, that's Myers logic for you: say there's not a blacklist, own a seperate place on his blog with three sections, "Officers", "Purgatory" (peezus christ), and lastly, "The Dungeon", where all offenders gets a *ahem* "black mark" on their permanent record (even someone who's dead) with a pitch black font in the background. :confusion-shrug:

Also, an "Officers" section? What is he, running a fucking guild or something?
From Ophelia's latest post:
I am here. Seanna and Eamon picked me up at the airport and took me out for a lovely hamburger at Hamburgers on Main (which is not on Main but Somerset).

Whoo, it’s cold here. I’m used to Seattle winters.

What’s new with you?
Their mental and emotional ages appear to have topped out at about eight to ten years. And that's being insulting to most 10-year-olds.

"My friends picked me up at SFO and we drove across a big big bridge and then we went to the market and ate pizza." FFS.

jg64

Post by jg64 »

Pitchguest wrote:No, really. It's on the tip of my tongue. I can almost mouth it out.

Like it starts with a J or something? Help me out here!
Jesus!!! Yay, I win the interwebz.

aqi

Post by aqi »

report from #ausskepcon now started in Melbourne

James Randi
accommodating, affable, amiable, amicable, approachable, beneficent, benevolent, benign, benignant, big-hearted, bland, bonhomous, charitable, chivalrous, civil, compassionate, complaisant, congenial, considerate, cordial, courteous, courtly, easy, forthcoming, friendly, gallant, genial, good-hearted, good-natured, hospitable, pleasing, polite, sociable, stately, suave, tender, unctuous, urbane, well-mannered

DJ Grothe
affable, agreeable, amical, clubby, companionable, compatible, complaisant, congruous, consistent, consonant, conversable, convivial, cooperative, cordial, delightful, favorable, fit, genial, good-humored, gracious, happy, harmonious, jovial, kindly, kindred, like-minded, mellow, pleasant, pleasing, regular fellow, right neighborly, sociable, social, suitable, sympathetic, well-suited

Rebecca Watson
sulked drank

she's doing a twitter hashtag live show during the event this should be good.

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

Dick Strawkins wrote:First sighting in the wild!
http://i.imgur.com/PWV4N.jpg
That's a huge cock.

peterb

Post by peterb »

Mykeru wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:In other news:

From the article:
'But this is serious because people who make false allegations make it harder for real victims to be believed.'
Do we have a term for the ethical position that it's wrong to cause harm to an actual innocent male only because it may cause harm, eventually, to hypothetical females?
Misandry

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

sacha wrote:
Za-zen wrote:I want lecter's cookbook.

Music to die to, and therefore by definition, live to. If you fail to appreciate this, i have no qualms about stating that you are most definately a lower form of life.
I'll raise you - my favourite piece of music. Must be played loud. Ocean Music, otherwise known as Saint John's Passion by the master J.S. Bach. If you simply can't listen to the entire thing, the first five minutes are breathtaking. This with quality headphones while watching the ocean is orgasmic.

youtube oBJ3cQ5uyE4 /youtube
I'll counter with
[youtube]a6MMW-NJmt8[/youtube]
Must also be played loud.

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

Mykeru wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:

The Argumentum ad Equus Ferus Feces?

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Security cam footage of the original elevatorgate incident? :o

[youtube]phTFQQWaO4g[/youtube]