Old subthreads
MacGruberKnows

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

Post by MacGruberKnows »

R5 - Mayweather. McGregor is tiring

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

MacGruberKnows wrote:ESPN gives round 2 to McGregor. But it's a crappy fight.
Really? It was supposed to be a slaughter, and it is not. It's not the best match by standard boxing standards, but this is something else.

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

R6 - Mayweather

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

R7 - Mayweather. Starting to walk away with it. McGregor is gassed. Needs a takedown and submission.

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

R8 - FM 10-9

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

R( - FM. McGregor is gassing. Legs gone

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

R10 - FM wins by TKO.

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

Floyd's victory party will be held at his strip club "Girl Collection". Classy guy. Equal opportunity person. Likes to beat up guys as much as he likes to beat up women. But with women he does it for free.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

Heavy sigh. Impossible odds, but I really fucking hate Mayweather.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

MacGruberKnows wrote:R10 - FM wins by TKO.
Oh well, so much for White Supremacy.

(If the Irish count as 'White' that is).

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

And for more on 'Race Realism'...

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

Best twitter of the fight:

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

some guy wrote:
some guy wrote:
rayshul wrote:... I mean what am I going to add? I guess I can feed and clothe them.
And that's about all you can do: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nurture_Assumption
(It's a good read, too.)
Well, that, and selecting the peer group your kids hang with.
My eldest has gotten put in the nerd group by his teachers, but he wants to hang out with his non nerdy working class lil buddy.

feathers

Post by feathers »

AndrewV69 wrote:White supremacist forum site Stormfront seized by domain hosts

Anyone else see this as a pathetically stupid idea?

Now I have not been there in years myself but with one or two exceptions the overwhelming majority struck me as having a sub 80 IQ. In other words no threat at all.
Now that is a big mistake. A mass of dressed apes with shotguns and voting rights can still topple a government, especially if led by a more sapient primate. When that happens, some of the former internet warriors will come out of the woodwork to do the dirty work, given blanket powers by the authorities.

feathers

Post by feathers »

rayshul wrote:Well that race realism thing was a bit depressing to watch ... I feel like my kids are going to be stuck at one level (whatever the level) so why bother to teach the lil fuckers anything if they'll wind up exactly the same intelligence wise?
Statistics make no individual predictions.
Some children in the class realise soon enough they'll never be Einsteins- it's always been that way regardless of skin colour- so they just have to put some more effort into it and do the best they can.

feathers

Post by feathers »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:I'm fairly convinced that some of the thought leaders on the regressive left are well aware that they are fuelling tensions and making violence more inevitable. Instead of them being well-meaning but misguided, they realize they are only thought leaders as long as there is tension and strife.
The death of Heather Heyer must have come as a blessing to them. She's their Horst Wessel now. I suspect she won't be the last casualty in the left-right confrontations.

feathers

Post by feathers »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:In a related question, why is Watson needing a U-Haul? Have there been developments in the boyfriend front that I missed? Is she just going full Jihadi? Inquiring minds want to know.
Oh wait, it's a truck rental. I thought there for a second it was a plastic surgery clinic.

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

MacGruberKnows wrote:R10 - FM wins by TKO.
I don't watch boxing much, but that call seemed like total bullshit to me. McGregor seemed a little shaky, but he never even fell down. He might have still lost, but I think that ref had a solid financial interest in seeing that Mayweather didn't lose. I don't believe Mayweather was a danger to that McGregor's health for a second.

feathers

Post by feathers »

screwtape wrote:
rayshul wrote:It's not the difference bit, my kids are smart af. But the points about environment not making much difference - e.g. a black family making over 150k had kids with lower IQs than a white family making under $20k. Genetics kind of wins out over nurture.
And that's the point - does it or not? Many studies so far say it wins out, but one must not quote any of them. Look at what happened to Murray and Herrnstein - who said they didn't know how much was genetics and how much environment - they are racist devils. Surely, we can say without a doubt that there is a genetic effect on IQ given the vast number of studies that confirm it?
No no no, you racist scallywag you! In a moment, you're going to claim that it has been demonstrated that blacks reflect less sunlight than whites, and that this is genetically predisposed rather than imposed by the white supremacy inherent in our school system. I'm on to you!

feathers

Post by feathers »

Shatterface wrote:Humans have lived in Africa longer than anywhere else. Since those living elsewhere will be descendants of smaller groups of migrants genetic variation should be less among Europeans, Asians, etc. than Africans.

If that's the case and intelligence has a genetic component then IQ should vary more too. Even if the average black IQ was lower shouldn't there still be more black geniuses that there appears to be?
For geniuses to become visible certainly requires the right environment. It could be that our African geniuses can't read and are selling fake elephant tusks to tourists.

SM1957

Post by SM1957 »

What is genetic variability?

Heights are generally increasing.

Take 3 sets of parents 180, 182 , 185 cm . They have children who grow up to have heights 181,183,186 cm. The tallest parents have the tallest children.

Take 3 sets of parents 179, 181 , 184 . They have children who grow up to have heights 182,184,187. The tallest parents have the tallest children.

The tallest parents have the tallest children, so height variability is 100% genetic.

But the average tallest height is now the second group.

Having 100% genetic inheritance of intelligence tells us nothing about what the mean IQ will be in the next generation.

IQ has been increasing every decade for the past 100 years, although that is now slowing down.

SM1957

Post by SM1957 »

As women have exactly the same skill set as men, the only answer a woman can give to the standard interview question 'What can you bring to this company?' is 'I can bring more of what you've already got'.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Mark Lilla criticizes the identity politics of the Democratic Party in a conversation with David Remnik in the New Yorker:
Lilla, who has expanded that article into his new, brief book, “The Once and Future Liberal: After Identity Politics,” insists that his is the pragmatic view: that in order to secure progress for overlooked and oppressed peoples—in order to advance a liberal economic, environmental, and social agenda—political power must be won, which means that elections must be won. At the moment, the Democratic Party—from elections for the White House to state legislatures—is failing. The Democrats, he says, were once the party of the working class; now the Democrats are largely a loose coalition of educated coastal élites and minorities. Why is it now possible to drive across the country for thousands of miles without hitting a blue state or county? How did the Democrats lose a decisive number of Obama voters to someone like Donald Trump? Lilla believes that identity politics is a central part of the answer.
Now, that is not to say that we don’t talk about identity. To understand any social problem in this country, you have to understand identity. And we’re more aware of that than ever, and that’s been a very good thing. But, to address those problems with politics, we have to abandon the rhetoric of difference, in order to appeal to what we share, so that people who don’t share this identity somehow can have a stake, and feel something that other people are experiencing.
Movement politics, I think, encourages people to radicalize their positions and to impose purity tests on each other. And so we’re always checking each other on our privilege or our positions. And that does nothing to seize power out there. That’s all about what you do within the group. Now the Women’s March was an extraordinary thing, and was worldwide. My wife and daughter were there. I was out of the country, or I would have been there. But it almost didn’t happen. Why is that? Because this woman in Hawaii had a very good idea and posted on Facebook: why don’t we show up in Washington and protest the fact that this President has spoken about women this way. What could be easier? And you know what happened afterward? She was attacked by black groups because she didn’t have a committee, she didn’t have other people represented
Lilla has understood the divisive, litigious, inefficient and spiteful parts of SocJus/"Intersectionalism". Sadly Remnik doesn't seem to get it.

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

rayshul wrote:
Steersman wrote:
rayshul wrote:Well that race realism thing was a bit depressing to watch ... I feel like my kids are going to be stuck at one level (whatever the level) so why bother to teach the lil fuckers anything if they'll wind up exactly the same intelligence wise?
Really sorry to hear you say that - think you're labouring under a misapprehension of sorts. Haven't watched the video yet myself - natch - but expect that Taylor is, or should be, referring only to averages: that women are - on AVERAGE - shorter than men in absolutely no way asserts that ALL women are shorter than ALL men; some women (about 40% if I'm reading this graph right) are taller than many men.

Likewise, I expect, with race and intelligence. Even if there is a difference in the average - and I expect it's relatively small even if it exists - that really says diddly-squat about individuals.
It's not the difference bit, my kids are smart af. But the points about environment not making much difference - e.g. a black family making over 150k had kids with lower IQs than a white family making under $20k. Genetics kind of wins out over nurture.
Yeah, that's the bit that's more dubious.

My impression is that even among scientists who are (either self-consciously or _de facto_ ) race realists, there's lively debate about the degree to which environment affects the outcomes, and I think most would say that around 50% of the variability is nurture (e.g. most obviously, a brain nutritionally starved from infancy through to adulthood won't fulfill its IQ potential).

And at any rate, whatever the precise/fuzzy figures, since environment is the only aspect over which we have control, then if we want to maximize IQ, that means we still have to do as much as possible (within reason, and within the bounds of cost/benefit analysis) to get the environment right.

So actually, race realism doesn't make much difference as to "what should be done," except that it sets limits as to what's possible, and argues against hyper-egalitarianism (i.e. it shows that lack of equal or proportionate-to-population representation doesn't necessarily imply racism).

The key, I think, is that the ideal society helps people be the best they can possibly be in terms of their own capabilities and potential, whatever that may be. (And as a libertarian, I would add: this doesn't necessarily mean that government must always be the agency tasked with the job, though it can be sometimes.)

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Jerry's sad that there was pushback to his "music was better when I was a kid" post, so he's now gone digging for "scientific proof" that music sucks today.

I think he may have finally struck on a topic even more irritating than determinism.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

IQ is one thing.

But what a lot of the groups are really arguing for is white (or black, or jewish, or lesbian) separatism.

Which has to be viewed as a good thing as it will enforce the natural divisions between various ethic groups - and help them to avoid the cardinal sin of cultural appropriation.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Shatterface wrote:Humans have lived in Africa longer than anywhere else. Since those living elsewhere will be descendants of smaller groups of migrants genetic variation should be less among Europeans, Asians, etc. than Africans.

If that's the case and intelligence has a genetic component then IQ should vary more too. Even if the average black IQ was lower shouldn't there still be more black geniuses that there appears to be?
I don't think it's fair to think that people who live in Africa now have the same genetic variation of those who lived there 50,000 years ago. Especially since there are many different kinds of people who live in SubSaharan Africa.

piginthecity

Post by piginthecity »

Kirbmarc wrote:The Atheist Movement is useless, it's far better to have a Secularist Movement, which promotes Enlightenment-based values like separation of church and state, freedom of criticism of religion, freedom of satire, etc. Also have a Pro-Science Movement concerned with teaching accurate science in schools instead of theological or ideological bullshit. Allow everyone who believes in those values to join in.
Yeah - although I think there certainly was a point of the Dawkins/Dennett/Hitch/Harris 'movement' or 'wave of interest' back in the noughties.

It was that it broke the consensus that criticising religion was off the table. It needed a bit of hullaballoo and 'identity' style fuss to get people's attention and give people the confidence to be able to say anything at all, however mild, about religion without appending "... but I have the highest respect for your beliefs" on to the end of it.

That job was achieved and there's no going back, so, yes, now, there's no point in the "Atheist Movement".

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

The Horsemen made a big deal of atheists being "out and proud," so to speak. The goal was never to unite all nonbelievers everywhere, but just to get enough people to publicly declare their nonbelief that it no longer became a big deal.

And like the gays, a part of it was to promote the idea that "they're just like you." Not amoral or immoral monsters, but your neighbors you've known your whole life.

Of course modern freakshow identity politics has spectacularly missed the point on that.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Sunder wrote:Jerry's sad that there was pushback to his "music was better when I was a kid" post, so he's now gone digging for "scientific proof" that music sucks today.

I think he may have finally struck on a topic even more irritating than determinism.
I'm sure that people will be very helpful with suggestions

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

MarcusAu wrote:IQ is one thing.

But what a lot of the groups are really arguing for is white (or black, or jewish, or lesbian) separatism.

Which has to be viewed as a good thing as it will enforce the natural divisions between various ethic groups - and help them to avoid the cardinal sin of cultural appropriation.
The problem is one of identitarianism, which is a political choice, not a scientific fact. Average genetic differences between different ethnic groups don't mean that groups should be separated and forced to practice endogamy.

Dogs are selected into various breeds which are selected for some specific characteristics, but this doesn't mean that science requires that mutts shouldn't exist.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Proper humanism says we are more alike than we are different.

Identity politics says no, if you're not a member of X group you can never, ever, EVER understand what it's like. Don't even try. We're all too different to ever relate to one another. Stick to your own kind.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Sunder wrote:Proper humanism says we are more alike than we are different.

Identity politics says no, if you're not a member of X group you can never, ever, EVER understand what it's like. Don't even try. We're all too different to ever relate to one another. Stick to your own kind.
Doesn't Standpoint Theory take a little further than that? ie someone from a minority group will understand the ideas of the cultural hegemony (ie the white male patriarchy) because they are exposed to them everyday. But the reverse is not true - which is why in any group the white males should sit down and shut up.

The only point of inclusivity is declaring that it's possible for anyone to have 'internalised whiteness' if their ideas stray too far from what has been deemed acceptable.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Kirbmarc wrote:

I don't think it's fair to think that people who live in Africa now have the same genetic variation of those who lived there 50,000 years ago. Especially since there are many different kinds of people who live in SubSaharan Africa.
I didn't mean there would be the same variation as 50,000 years ago. The variation should have increased. The variation in migrants should have also increased but they were starting from a smaller group so the variation wouldn't have been as wide.
This is kind of my point. If the tallest and the shortest people live in Aftrica, why not the smartest and the dumbest? If Olympic success simply reflects the fact that both the fastest and the slowest come from Africa, though nobody gives a shit about slow runners, why not the best and the worst chess players?

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Sunder wrote:Proper humanism says we are more alike than we are different.

I think that groups ARE different. However I also think that people from different groups can understand each other, not perfectly of course, but to a rather large degree, especially if people explain to each other what issues they have and work on a reasonable institutional compromise, by a process of trial and error and slow, careful experimenting (piecemeal social engineering). I also think that contact between groups can create cultural hybrids, which aren't a bad thing.

The problem isn't that we should all be the same, but that we should accept a system where issues between groups are minimized, even if it means losing some of the "purity" of different groups, instead of clamoring for a system where groups are separated and kept "pure". Cultural appropriation is actually a good thing, especially for progressives, and defending cultural purity is probably the most regressive dogma of the regressive left. If people are adopting something from a culture they're becoming more, not less accepting of people who belong to that culture.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Kirbmarc wrote:
The problem is one of identitarianism, which is a political choice, not a scientific fact. Average genetic differences between different ethnic groups don't mean that groups should be separated and forced to practice endogamy.

Dogs are selected into various breeds which are selected for some specific characteristics, but this doesn't mean that science requires that mutts shouldn't exist.
Point taken.

Subgroups of people can be compared to dogs. Or perhaps pigs or apes.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Kirbmarc wrote:

Dogs are proof of why you shouldn't practice endogamy. My brother has two dachshunds. They can't even walk downstairs. Ashkenazi Jews may have a higher IQ but they are at higher risk of Tay-Tachs.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

I note also Silicon Valley for a while had a whole dealio about having their kids get the autism because they started breeding semi autistics with semi autistics

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

rayshul wrote:I note also Silicon Valley for a while had a whole dealio about having their kids get the autism because they started breeding semi autistics with semi autistics
The problem will be solved once science develops a vaccination for autism.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

How many generations with Silicon Valley exist for? Does it make sense for an industry to centre in one geographical area, especially IT? It's notoriously expensive to live there anyway.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

MarcusAu wrote:
rayshul wrote:I note also Silicon Valley for a while had a whole dealio about having their kids get the autism because they started breeding semi autistics with semi autistics
Wouldn't that also vaccinate against IT skills?

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:In a related question, why is Watson needing a U-Haul? Have there been developments in the boyfriend front that I missed? Is she just going full Jihadi? Inquiring minds want to know.
She's finally worn him down I reckon, there's been enough hints, ie, her public announcement of "starting to fall in love" the house hunting for properties way beyond her means, endless road trips, introductions to her friends and family, the "poor me I'm being oppressed" fued with her nieghbour, the ostracising of former friends who have the nerve to still talk to her ex (Surly Amy) the shared puppy and sudden interest in his favourite sport Baseball.

Classic manipulation, she's approaching 40, no kids, no career to speak of, an increasingly falling public persona and loss of access to influential people she got through being with A.

She's desperate to hook this meal ticket, it could be her last chance for financial security.

(P.S. check out her latest vid about orgasms, she gives way too much info about her masturbatory habits) :?

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Shatterface wrote:
Dogs are proof of why you shouldn't practice endogamy. My brother has two dachshunds. They can't even walk downstairs. Ashkenazi Jews may have a higher IQ but they are at higher risk of Tay-Tachs.
If all animals can be separated into 'kinds' and humans are in their own separate group. Then can we just accept Ray Comfort's condemnation of atheism as it rejects god's truth and promotes racism by allowing 'scientific' racial theories to be discussed - thereby setting one group against another?

Religion must be necessary otherwise people wouldn't have invented it.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Shatterface wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Shatterface wrote:
MarcusAu wrote:
Wouldn't that also vaccinate against IT skills?
No - it would enhance them.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

shoutinghorse wrote: check out her latest vid about orgasms, she gives way too much info about her masturbatory habits) :?
That challenge sounds interesting, let me give it a go. Oh. Oh. Oh, my god. It's coming :twatson:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/proxy ... 20-h240-nc

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

MarcusAu wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:

Point taken.

Subgroups of people can be compared to dogs. Or perhaps pigs or apes.
All subgroups of people can be compared to subgroups of dogs. That was the point. We're animals. (Yes, I know what you're trying to say).

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

The thing about averages is that they are averages. Individuals are usually above or below average. When you take in several metrics nobody will be average on all of them. That's something SJWs just don't get. They hear average and they think all men, say, are paid more. Women score, on average, lower on systematising and higher on neuroticism; SJWs hear you say women are neurotic and can't programme for shit.

Averages are just about the most basic statistical procedure there is. It's the numerical equivalent of 'This is Peter. This is Jane. This is Pat the dog.'

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Shatterface wrote:The thing about averages is that they are averages. Individuals are usually above or below average. When you take in several metrics nobody will be average on all of them. That's something SJWs just don't get. They hear average and they think all men, say, are paid more. Women score, on average, lower on systematising and higher on neuroticism; SJWs hear you say women are neurotic and can't programme for shit.

Averages are just about the most basic statistical procedure there is. It's the numerical equivalent of 'This is Peter. This is Jane. This is Pat the dog.'
I think that people in general have problems with basic maths and statistics. The SJWs, on the other hand, are convinced that you can change averages simply by telling people that they are a social construct. This is a post-modern idea, straight out of Judith Butler and her nonsense about differences between men and woman all being "performative".

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

On average more New Zealanders have been credited with being the first to reach the top of Mt Everest.

Sometimes I feel I don't get the recognition I deserve.

mike150160

Post by mike150160 »

Nepalese shurley?

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

The Nepalese were probably up and down Everest all the time, they just didn't think it was a big deal. They probably still tell stories of the first Nepalese explorer to sea a tree.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

If we're all descended from Africans, why are there still Africans?

Check mate!!!

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

After watching the Smalley talk, considering Peez response, Swan response, etc. I conclude that there will always be a portion of any group who are the "Chicken Littles". For some people, the sky is always falling, and yes, Smalley is correct that they use this as a form of control. It's not just atheists; it's not just the religious; it's in every group, every walk of life. The only effective way to deal with them is to disengage, ignore them. It's probably as deep seated in these guys as any other behavior pattern. If we were to look back, say in PZ's history, we would probably find him exercising similar tendencies all through his life. You don't change something that ingrained. You put up a firewall.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Tigzy wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Achievement and read intelligence are not the same. Intelligence is predominantly genetic and environment cannot change that.
Aye, but I did specify academic achievement. Sure, you don't necessarily have to be intelligent in this regard, but it really does friggin help.
I wasn't talking to you, stupid.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

shoutinghorse wrote:
She's finally worn him down I reckon, there's been enough hints, ie, her public announcement of "starting to fall in love" the house hunting for properties way beyond her means, endless road trips, introductions to her friends and family, the "poor me I'm being oppressed" fued with her nieghbour, the ostracising of former friends who have the nerve to still talk to her ex (Surly Amy) the shared puppy and sudden interest in his favourite sport Baseball.

Classic manipulation, she's approaching 40, no kids, no career to speak of, an increasingly falling public persona and loss of access to influential people she got through being with A.

She's desperate to hook this meal ticket, it could be her last chance for financial security.

(P.S. check out her latest vid about orgasms, she gives way too much info about her masturbatory habits) :?
She persists for 45 MINUTES when she can't rub one out. Just beats it until it submits, I guess :shock:

http://imgur.com/SNNTzuV.gif

Maybe she needs better spank material. Shives just rained troughs of indignant slobber about Elevatorgate, which should make him sexy beyond measure.

Have at it, Becky.

http://imgur.com/K2KvxFb.gif

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

SM1957 wrote:What is genetic variability?

Heights are generally increasing.

Take 3 sets of parents 180, 182 , 185 cm . They have children who grow up to have heights 181,183,186 cm. The tallest parents have the tallest children.

Take 3 sets of parents 179, 181 , 184 . They have children who grow up to have heights 182,184,187. The tallest parents have the tallest children.

The tallest parents have the tallest children, so height variability is 100% genetic.

But the average tallest height is now the second group.

Having 100% genetic inheritance of intelligence tells us nothing about what the mean IQ will be in the next generation.

IQ has been increasing every decade for the past 100 years, although that is now slowing down.
Intelligence test scores have gone up. Everyone likes to cite the Flynn Effect, without knowing Flynn's own explanation for it.

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

Yeah it's a lot to do with human beings not being hardwired to understand averages and populations (similar problem with most people understanding economics). I don't pretend I do, properly, but I'm at least aware of the problem. Troglodytes of the Left and Right seem to be oblivious one way or the other.

Again, though, the real challenge from the the better part of Alt Right point of view isn't about segregation - that's relatively straightforward, people will naturally segregate to some extent, and they should be allowed to do so, but it shouldn't be forced by the State, just as desegregation shouldn't be forced. Similar for "breeding" questions. Race is relevant, but nobody is so unequal and so much more wonderful than than the rest of us that they ought to have a right to decide how we should breed, as if we were dogs.

The real challenge is as I've said a few times, this:-

1) We have this nice, liberal, democratic capitalist memetic bundle that seems to incline towards prosperity and general happiness. This is what civic nationalists are upholding, and saying is strong enough on its own - the claim is basically that the memetic bundle is standalone and transferable between ethnicities.

2) That is true to some extent - obviously you can find some people from any given ethnicity who'll gravitate towards meme bundles generated by other ethnicities. Some Blacks, Browns, Yellows and Reds can quite happily subscribe to that nice, liberal, democratic capitalist meme complex, and in absolute terms it's going to be quite a large number of people.

3) However, that's irrelevant to the matter at the level of averages and populations. If the nice, liberal, democratic capitalist meme-plex is not something that any other ethnicty (as a whole, as a population) would have generated off their own bat, then the non-negligible number of people of other ethnicities who like those memes aren't going to be enough to tip the population in that direction as a whole.

4) So basically, if whites become minorities in their own countries, then those countries will gravitate towards the majority's memeplexes, which won't necessarily be liberal, democratic and capitalist. Not even if there are many people from those ethnicities who'd like to. So long as they're not the majority and don't have a "native soil" that holds them strongly, those ideas may fade.

5) So the nice, liberal, democratic memes will end up as a curio of history, and most of the world will be run along the lines most of it has always been run - all the variations of kinship groups, clannishness, nepotism, baksheesh, emperors with absolute authority, etc., etc.

Is this a valid analysis? I'm not sure, but it's not prima facie improbable, and I think it's colorable and ought to be thought about and discussed, because the stakes are pretty high - if you like that nice, liberal, democratic capitalist memeplex.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Sunder wrote:Jerry's sad that there was pushback to his "music was better when I was a kid" post, so he's now gone digging for "scientific proof" that music sucks today.

I gather you're a big fan of ducks?

SM1957

Post by SM1957 »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Intelligence test scores have gone up. Everyone likes to cite the Flynn Effect, without knowing Flynn's own explanation for it.
I have no idea what Flynn's explanation for it is.