In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

Old subthreads
feathers

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

Post by feathers »

Ape+lust wrote:And after she was evicted, she always knew the Slymepit was right about her evictors.

https://imgur.com/rx2cWl3.png
And then, in the same breath, comes to the conclusion that you should despise people who say something unpopular and we're full circle.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Hey kids? Please don't say things with Photoshop, OK? Ok, alright. And stay off the drugs.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

The new generation is way less fucked up than mine (I'm on the cusp of the Millenials, a little younger than RW). We were drugs and fucking yourself up and being just a general pot of filth. The new generation are the ones I see whimpering online (I am in touch with lots of them) about using black memes is the same as blackface and wailing about STEM.

I don't know if it's just because I'm posh but my generation I didn't really know there was an option for me to take that wasn't studying STEM. It wasn't really on the cards unless you were like one of the dumb girls.

SM1957

Post by SM1957 »

rayshul wrote:The new generation is way less fucked up than mine (I'm on the cusp of the Millenials, a little younger than RW). We were drugs and fucking yourself up and being just a general pot of filth. The new generation are the ones I see whimpering online (I am in touch with lots of them) about using black memes is the same as blackface and wailing about STEM.

I don't know if it's just because I'm posh but my generation I didn't really know there was an option for me to take that wasn't studying STEM. It wasn't really on the cards unless you were like one of the dumb girls.
Margaret Thatcher was one of the early pioneers of women studying STEM subjects and getting STEM jobs.

I guess she is a feminist icon and a role-model.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Just outside in our street: an absolutely massive amount of riot police, on foot and in paddy wagons, surrounding some 25-30 very silent demonstrators with Danish flags (no swastikas as far as I could see), 500 m of mostly nothing, and then some 80 people chanting antiracist credos, again flanked by police.

Nobody knows why.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

In case the British decide to hold a full-blown china anniversary re-enactment of their mass hysteria over Diana Spencer, Hilary Mantel has written an extraordinarily good article in the Grauniad. Read it.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

FIRE HIM, he deadnamed a tranny!

https://imgur.com/L2uCztA.png

A wrongly-opinioned journalist appears.

https://imgur.com/GOgQNRy.png

He's unaware of the protocols she made up. Must be a Gamergater.

https://imgur.com/oYwoRV8.png

Candidate Wu didn't tell him HE WAS KILLING TRANS WOMEN. She must've ground her corn niblet teeth to gravel holding that in.

https://imgur.com/0i8MDub.png

Today's shit-stirring was brought to you by your future congresswoman. All your votes are belong to us!

https://imgur.com/GIaqV4e.png

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Ape+lust wrote:FIRE HIM, he deadnamed a tranny!

A wrongly-opinioned journalist appears.

https://imgur.com/GOgQNRy.png

He's unaware of the protocols she made up. Must be a Gamergater.

https://imgur.com/oYwoRV8.png

Candidate Wu didn't tell him HE WAS KILLING TRANS WOMEN. She must've ground her corn niblet teeth to gravel holding that in.

https://imgur.com/0i8MDub.png

Today's shit-stirring was brought to you by your future congresswoman. All your votes are belong to us!

https://imgur.com/GIaqV4e.png
Wikipedia, a cesspool of transphobic hatred:
Chelsea Elizabeth Manning[3] (born Bradley Edward Manning, December 17, 1987) is a former United States Army soldier who was convicted by court-martial in July 2013, of violations of the Espionage Act and other offenses, after disclosing to WikiLeaks nearly 750,000 classified, or unclassified but sensitive, military and diplomatic documents
The Guardian still hasn't taken down this transphobic 2013 article!
Bradley Manning given 35-year prison term for passing files to WikiLeaks
BBC News, you horrid transphobes!
During his final days in office, US President Barack Obama commuted the sentence of Chelsea Manning, who was found guilty of leaking US army documents. She will be freed on Wednesday.

The US soldier then known as Pte First Class Bradley Manning lip-synced to Lady Gaga while downloading thousands of classified documents from military servers, according to a computer hacker she befriended.
You can't do this in 2017! Ethics in journalism, people! If we don't quash this now, the next thing we'll see is someone bringing up the fact that Brianna Wu used to be John Walker Flynt...

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Hunt wrote:Hey kids? Please don't say things with Photoshop, OK? Ok, alright. And stay off the drugs.

NB: You have just watched the only scene worth watching from that film. Trust me on this.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Sinister:

A few years ago, A Voice For Men & other MRA sites reported a list of supposed forms of domestic abuse (used in Australia, if I recall correctly) which included "using logic" in arguments-- as abusive. (logic is a patriarchal social construct which prioritizes toxic male ways of thinking over superior/oppressed ways, such as Feelz and screeching.)

Yesterday, I tried to google the logic=abuse thing... to know the accurate details.... but was presented with a page of results denouncing the legitimacy of the men's rights movement.

Google is cancer.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

The result is a generation whose members are often afraid to talk to one another, especially about anything that might be upsetting or offensive. If everyone must be emotionally safe at all times, a free discussion of ideas is inherently dangerous. Opposing viewpoints can’t just be argued against; they have to be shut down, because merely hearing them can cause harm.
Avoiding emotions because they are too painful is also a BP trait.

Back to the black & white valuation of people, I'd say that has a lot to do with how socio-political issues have become dogmatic. You must unquestioningly accept the entire list of positions of your 'side', else you are a heretic. Someone like Hitchens completely fries the circuitry of Plussers.

TheMudbrooker

Post by TheMudbrooker »

Nothing to do with chemistry or physics, it's the institutional racism of the photographic industry.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

rayshul wrote:The new generation is way less fucked up than mine (I'm on the cusp of the Millenials, a little younger than RW). We were drugs and fucking yourself up and being just a general pot of filth. The new generation are the ones I see whimpering online (I am in touch with lots of them) about using black memes is the same as blackface and wailing about STEM.

It's seems a weight almost impossible to bear for someone to become the living representation of the demographic of their generation. How typical are your attitudes for your cohort - and more importantly how many of them made as much of a success of it as you? Because you seem somewhat atypical in at least some respects.

And on another note - it's a double 'n' in Millennium (and the derivative) as anyone who lived though that damn Y2K bollocks should know.

Perhaps a song would help to cement it:

...then again, perhaps not

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

TheMudbrooker wrote:Nothing to do with chemistry or physics, it's the institutional racism of the photographic industry.
Not a very impressive argument, when the failing films are exemplified by dreadfully underexposed pictures of black people. You need accurate exposure to get accurate colours from film. In my film freezer I still have all sorts of discontinued films, and they'll keep forever as long as they are frozen. I'm not running into issues with inaccurate colour when I develop them.

But for a more topical comment, I'll introduce you to two things:

Cross-processing, which is the darkroom version of cross-dressing. Take a colour slide film, usually processed in the E-6 regimen, and develop it instead in the C-41 regimen usually used for colour negative film. Enjoy seeing all your colours go wrong. Or take a C-41 negative film and develop it in E-6 chemistry and see all the colours go wrong. Fashionable again in the dying days of the hipster resurgence in film use - lomography etc.
image_slide_film.jpg
(44.14 KiB) Downloaded 230 times
image_negativ_film.jpg
(29.64 KiB) Downloaded 228 times
Reverse rolling. Colour film emulsions are applied in layers, with red at the bottom. So, in the dark, take the film out of the cassette and rewind it back in the wrong way, so the emulsion is now on the side of the film away from the camera's lens. The red -sensitive layer will see far more light now that it isn't masked by the blue and green sensitive layers. You get a sort of redscale monochrome result. Truly pretentious hipsters will do double exposures, once from the correct side of the film and once again after reverse rolling it:
Hipster_hell.jpg
(748.69 KiB) Downloaded 234 times
It is known that the triple conjunction of cross-processing, reverse rolling and double exposure will bring on the singularity, and somewhere deep in the pacific northwest a couple of hipsters in a Starbucks will decide one day that they will do it. If only they knew that farting around with bizarrely incorrect processes is not and never has been a substitute for taking a proper photograph.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

screwtape wrote:
TheMudbrooker wrote:Nothing to do with chemistry or physics, it's the institutional racism of the photographic industry.
Not a very impressive argument, when the failing films are exemplified by dreadfully underexposed pictures of black people. You need accurate exposure to get accurate colours from film. In my film freezer I still have all sorts of discontinued films, and they'll keep forever as long as they are frozen. I'm not running into issues with inaccurate colour when I develop them.

But for a more topical comment, I'll introduce you to two things:

Cross-processing, which is the darkroom version of cross-dressing. Take a colour slide film, usually processed in the E-6 regimen, and develop it instead in the C-41 regimen usually used for colour negative film. Enjoy seeing all your colours go wrong. Or take a C-41 negative film and develop it in E-6 chemistry and see all the colours go wrong. Fashionable again in the dying days of the hipster resurgence in film use - lomography etc.
image_slide_film.jpg
image_negativ_film.jpg
Reverse rolling. Colour film emulsions are applied in layers, with red at the bottom. So, in the dark, take the film out of the cassette and rewind it back in the wrong way, so the emulsion is now on the side of the film away from the camera's lens. The red -sensitive layer will see far more light now that it isn't masked by the blue and green sensitive layers. You get a sort of redscale monochrome result. Truly pretentious hipsters will do double exposures, once from the correct side of the film and once again after reverse rolling it:
Hipster_hell.jpg
It is known that the triple conjunction of cross-processing, reverse rolling and double exposure will bring on the singularity, and somewhere deep in the pacific northwest a couple of hipsters in a Starbucks will decide one day that they will do it. If only they knew that farting around with bizarrely incorrect processes is not and never has been a substitute for taking a proper photograph.
http://www.tripbase.com/c/trainspotting ... potter.jpg

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:WEIT features the Pit's mascot:

https://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.co ... afe-train/
How dare you, sir.

I see no Michelle Jenneke!

Oglebart

Post by Oglebart »

The L'Oreal troon is on Channel 4 news, doubling down on the "all white people are racist" statement. She broke down at the end, but the upset is only due to her losing her lucrative modelling contract, I'm sure. Is that too cynical? I'm so tired of this bullshit.

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

Ape+lust wrote:
feathers wrote:
Sunder wrote:I think saying they were "half-right" about Hitch is being generous. It's more that eventually he managed to flip the binary switch which is all that really divides Good People from Bad People in the mind of regressives. Hitch went from hero to villain virtually overnight.
And when his eviction became inevitable, they'd all known all along that Avicenna was a rotten apple.
And after she was evicted, she always knew the Slymepit was right about her evictors.

https://imgur.com/rx2cWl3.png
What a bunch of horseshit. If you wanted people to see people "making a full time hobby of being nasty" back in the day, you could find them commenting at Pharyngula or Butterflies and Wheels. But that was OK because they were on the side of Truth(TM) and all the people who disagreed with them were "rape apologists" and "dudebros" who needed "Feminism 101".

If she could see our points back in the day, why didn't she ever bring them up politely? Either she is a liar now or she was a coward back then.

She changed her mind because "the horde" put their crosshairs on her instead of the bad people. But fuck the slymepit anyway, because she can't stand the thought of being mocked on a forum that she doesn't have to visit.

What a joke.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Oglebart wrote:The L'Oreal troon is on Channel 4 news, doubling down on the "all white people are racist" statement. She broke down at the end, but the upset is only due to her losing her lucrative modelling contract, I'm sure. Is that too cynical? I'm so tired of this bullshit.
Even without the anti-white racism, 'You too can look like a tranny' was never a brilliant marketing strategy.

Who came up with the market research that said women ticked 'yes' to 'I want to look like someone who wants to look like a woman'?

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Old_ones wrote: What a bunch of horseshit. If you wanted people to see people "making a full time hobby of being nasty" back in the day, you could find them commenting at Pharyngula or Butterflies and Wheels. But that was OK because they were on the side of Truth(TM) and all the people who disagreed with them were "rape apologists" and "dudebros" who needed "Feminism 101".
One of her besties, Josh Spokesgay, was among of the nastiest of the bunch. Loathed that fucker. Glad we don't see him around much anymore.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Why, thank you! Someone has to do it.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Bhurzum wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:WEIT features the Pit's mascot:

https://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.co ... afe-train/
How dare you, sir.

I see no Michelle Jenneke!
A lynx not a fox.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Oglebart wrote:The L'Oreal troon is on Channel 4 news, doubling down on the "all white people are racist" statement. She broke down at the end, but the upset is only due to her losing her lucrative modelling contract, I'm sure. Is that too cynical? I'm so tired of this bullshit.
L'Oreal is gonna lose its market share of the 0.15% of the population that is MtF over this.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Which one of you empty-headed dipshits is derailing Zinnia's work? If he packs enough stuff into his butt we'll achieve Justice Singularity, so get the fuck out of his way!

Zinnia is exhibit A for the potential dangers of trying to hormone your way out of your gender. He was once a sober, decent sort. 6 years of juicing has turned him into a mean-ass lunatic pinball, getting worse by the day.

https://imgur.com/IJuNfHn.png

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Shatterface wrote:
Even without the anti-white racism, 'You too can look like a tranny' was never a brilliant marketing strategy.

Who came up with the market research that said women ticked 'yes' to 'I want to look like someone who wants to look like a woman'?
One alternative would be to go for the more traditional feminine style:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-mmuNckM_guk/U ... g+trio.jpg

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
L'Oreal is gonna lose its market share of the 0.15% of the population that is MtF over this.
0.15% of the consumers but 15% of their sales.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1467/235 ... 0c7f56.jpg

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

Tigzy wrote:
Old_ones wrote: What a bunch of horseshit. If you wanted people to see people "making a full time hobby of being nasty" back in the day, you could find them commenting at Pharyngula or Butterflies and Wheels. But that was OK because they were on the side of Truth(TM) and all the people who disagreed with them were "rape apologists" and "dudebros" who needed "Feminism 101".
One of her besties, Josh Spokesgay, was among of the nastiest of the bunch. Loathed that fucker. Glad we don't see him around much anymore.
There were a bunch of people over there who seemed like they had something wrong with them. Josh was super bitchy and always getting in cat fights with other commenters. 'Tis Himself was pretending to be a Harvard educated economist but was actually plagiarizing well known economists with google-able articles. HJ Hornbeck is a total imbecile who can somehow still maintain a superiority complex. Not only can that guy not argue his way out of a wet paper sack, but he can confuse himself so profoundly that he honestly seems to believe he's escaped it. Caine and Crip Dyke missed their true callings. Instead of demeaning people and playing power games on the internet, they could hire in at the local S&M dungeon and do it to sexually frustrated men for fun and profit.

And then there is Nerd. My personal least favorite of the bunch. Gormless idiot Nerd who tells people that he is a chemist and thinks he's refuted peoples' arguments by writing OPINION in all caps. Honestly, he's so pathetic it's almost endearing.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Between Ena Sharples and Shatterface's fancy woman, I don't know how to respond. I'll let Divine do it for me.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-AA7tQ37mCLg/U ... %25233.jpg

(Is that a P38? Not the 38DD's, dummy, the gun!)

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Old_ones wrote:'Tis Himself was pretending to be a Harvard educated economist but was actually plagiarizing well known economists with google-able articles.
Ah, that was some funny old shite. Proto-Avicenna. When the shit hit the fan, I recall Spokegay tweeting at him like a schoolmarm, ordering him to attend Pharyngula and explain himself 'this instant'! :lol:

Remember SGBM? Always had that weird little 'om' (geddit??!!) symbol next to his nym. SJW word police extraordinaire, and would never, ever, let a grudge go. I recall this dude actually following one hordelet to the Atheism Plus forum for the sole purpose of grassing him up to the other Aplussers about his language crimes. Freakin loon. Last I saw of him he had a crybully breakdown over some Pharyngulites getting tired of his nitpicking bullshit and giving him some shit in return.

Ah, the good old days. I think NoR is the last of that old guard - that old guard being the more batshit end of Myers' 'Horde'. There used to be some real characters there - nowadays they're every bit as wanky but kinda 'meh', IMO. Identikit retards.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

PZ got an email, and no way this is a poe folks, that proves that atheism is full of racists.
http://archive.is/wFhef
He puts it in comic sans to show the writer's lack of self awareness. :lol:
You missed the point here. The point is not to worship people like Dawkins and Harris. And to put civility above principle. It’s more pragmatic. White unity is important because whether you admit it or not, it’s white people that have power in America. Congress is mainly filled with older white men.
So that means the most important people in the Atheist community should also be white people. If you want to fight for social justice, it’s white people that will make the difference, not black people or minorities. White atheists leaders will need to convince other white people to put pressure on white politicians. White politicians don’t listen to black people. They’re irrelevant.

Barbie's Boyfriend

Post by Barbie's Boyfriend »

Shatterface wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:

Is that a real woman, or an inflatable Tranny sex doll ???

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

free thoughtpolice wrote:PZ got an email, and no way this is a poe folks, that proves that atheism is full of racists.
http://archive.is/wFhef
He puts it in comic sans to show the writer's lack of self awareness. :lol:
You missed the point here. The point is not to worship people like Dawkins and Harris. And to put civility above principle. It’s more pragmatic. White unity is important because whether you admit it or not, it’s white people that have power in America. Congress is mainly filled with older white men.
So that means the most important people in the Atheist community should also be white people. If you want to fight for social justice, it’s white people that will make the difference, not black people or minorities. White atheists leaders will need to convince other white people to put pressure on white politicians. White politicians don’t listen to black people. They’re irrelevant.
Glub help us all, is Peezus saying he won't take the shortest, most direct and best all round route to social justice if that means using white people rather than non-white people? I can't see another way of understanding what he wrote there.

As a small child I was introduced to the concept embodied in the saying "to cut off your nose to spite your face." It was part of my culture and I soaked it up, just as I did with "Sticks and stones may hurt my bones, but words will never hurt me." Peezus cannot understand these concepts so one must disregard him. Another axiom I was brought up with was that in a situation where you could save either yourself or one other, one should save the other at the price of your own life. Simply good manners. Put me in a flooding river with PZ and I'll tell you how sad I am afterwards that he didn't survive. Consequences.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

It's many a mickle makes a muckle

Oglebart

Post by Oglebart »

I've found "The Red Pill" by Cassie Jaye on Amazon Prime, is it worth 2 hours of my time?

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

Oglebart wrote:I've found "The Red Pill" by Cassie Jaye on Amazon Prime, is it worth 2 hours of my time?
Thanks for the tip (that's what she said). Gonna give it a chance. It also shows Amazon that people are interested in the subject, which probably can't hurt.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Ape+lust wrote:FIRE HIM, he deadnamed a tranny!

Deadnaming is bad and also lol Donald Drumpf.

Amidoinitrite?

free thoughtpolice

Deadnaming is murder. Antifa riots are not violence. :ugeek:

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

"I'm just taking the boys out to watch some animals getting their throats slit love, we'll be back for tea"
"Okay dear have a lovely time"

http://i.imgur.com/hPjbCs0.jpg

Oglebart

Post by Oglebart »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:
Oglebart wrote:I've found "The Red Pill" by Cassie Jaye on Amazon Prime, is it worth 2 hours of my time?
Thanks for the tip (that's what she said). Gonna give it a chance. It also shows Amazon that people are interested in the subject, which probably can't hurt.
I watched 20 minutes, but I'm not really in the mood for a documentary tonight, I will check it out later though. Gonna try Tarantino's "Hateful Eight" now.

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

Tigzy wrote:
Old_ones wrote:'Tis Himself was pretending to be a Harvard educated economist but was actually plagiarizing well known economists with google-able articles.
Ah, that was some funny old shite. Proto-Avicenna. When the shit hit the fan, I recall Spokegay tweeting at him like a schoolmarm, ordering him to attend Pharyngula and explain himself 'this instant'! :lol:

Remember SGBM? Always had that weird little 'om' (geddit??!!) symbol next to his nym. SJW word police extraordinaire, and would never, ever, let a grudge go. I recall this dude actually following one hordelet to the Atheism Plus forum for the sole purpose of grassing him up to the other Aplussers about his language crimes. Freakin loon. Last I saw of him he had a crybully breakdown over some Pharyngulites getting tired of his nitpicking bullshit and giving him some shit in return.

Ah, the good old days. I think NoR is the last of that old guard - that old guard being the more batshit end of Myers' 'Horde'. There used to be some real characters there - nowadays they're every bit as wanky but kinda 'meh', IMO. Identikit retards.
Yeah, I remember SGBM. He was the one who outed 'Tis Himself. Peez eventually got pissed off at him for his language policing and going after other horde members and started derisively calling him "inspector Javert". I found that pretty telling and pretty amusing.

I remember following some of SGBM's posts in TZT where people were discussing philosophy, and the guy has a really bizarre worldview. He describes himself as a hard determinist who doesn't believe that people can be held morally accountable for their actions and doesn't believe in "dessert based ethics" (his coinage I think, for the idea that you can deserve punishment or reward). He also said on several occasions that he believes that violence is a justifiable means for attaining social change. So I'm imagining that he is one of those nutjobs running around with black bandanas over their faces clubbing people for being "nazis", but he apparently also doesn't believe that the "nazis" deserve to be punched or have any choice about being nazis. It gets weirder and weirder the more you think about it. Apparently in SGBM's view everyone is a mindless automaton doing stupid things because they have to.

:twatson:

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Old_ones wrote:Apparently in SGBM's view everyone is a mindless automaton doing stupid things because they have to.

At least he practised what he preached.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Old_ones wrote:Yeah, I remember SGBM. He was the one who outed 'Tis Himself. Peez eventually got pissed off at him for his language policing and going after other horde members and started derisively calling him "inspector Javert". I found that pretty telling and pretty amusing.

I remember following some of SGBM's posts in TZT where people were discussing philosophy, and the guy has a really bizarre worldview. He describes himself as a hard determinist who doesn't believe that people can be held morally accountable for their actions and doesn't believe in "dessert based ethics" (his coinage I think, for the idea that you can deserve punishment or reward). He also said on several occasions that he believes that violence is a justifiable means for attaining social change. So I'm imagining that he is one of those nutjobs running around with black bandanas over their faces clubbing people for being "nazis", but he apparently also doesn't believe that the "nazis" deserve to be punched or have any choice about being nazis. It gets weirder and weirder the more you think about it. Apparently in SGBM's view everyone is a mindless automaton doing stupid things because they have to.

The funny thing is that even most hard determinists recognize that punishments and rewards have major effects on behavior. Saying that people don't "deserve" punishment or reward as a hard determinist is like saying that planes don't "deserve" to fly because they need fuel, and without fuel they can't fly...

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

I remember Spokesgay getting the blunt end of it from ex-friends calling him a TERF for siding with Benson. I also recall his twitter avatar was transsexual Bender from Futurama, so that can't have helped.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Also how did SGBM reconcile hard determinism and arguing that violence that violence is a "justifiable" mean to social change? In hard determinism there's no "moral justification", only causes and effects!

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Kirbmarc wrote: The funny thing is that even most hard determinists recognize that punishments and rewards have major effects on behavior. Saying that people don't "deserve" punishment or reward as a hard determinist is like saying that planes don't "deserve" to fly because they need fuel, and without fuel they can't fly...
In fairness there would or should be a difference between punishment intended to program someone behaviorally and simple retributive punishment.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Sunder wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote: The funny thing is that even most hard determinists recognize that punishments and rewards have major effects on behavior. Saying that people don't "deserve" punishment or reward as a hard determinist is like saying that planes don't "deserve" to fly because they need fuel, and without fuel they can't fly...
In fairness there would or should be a difference between punishment intended to program someone behaviorally and simple retributive punishment.
I was playing the Devil's Advocate. I'm not a hard determinist, I was just pointing out how SGBM's position is nonsensical even according to hard determinism.

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Old_ones wrote:Yeah, I remember SGBM. He was the one who outed 'Tis Himself. Peez eventually got pissed off at him for his language policing and going after other horde members and started derisively calling him "inspector Javert". I found that pretty telling and pretty amusing.

The funny thing is that even most hard determinists recognize that punishments and rewards have major effects on behavior. Saying that people don't "deserve" punishment or reward as a hard determinist is like saying that planes don't "deserve" to fly because they need fuel, and without fuel they can't fly...
Beyond that even, there are relatively successful therapies like cognitive behavioral therapy and dialectical behavioral therapy that seem to contradict hard determinism. These focus on changing the way that people think about things by helping them debunk cognitive distortions and contextualize problems in ways that facilitate resilience. If we were determined to think and behave in a set way, how could that possibly work? It seems to me to indicate that people have some control over how their mind works, and by extension, how they behave.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Sunder wrote:I remember Spokesgay getting the blunt end of it from ex-friends calling him a TERF for siding with Benson. I also recall his twitter avatar was transsexual Bender from Futurama, so that can't have helped.
I was reminded to check out his Facebook today. He's actually gone full TERF - no two ways about it. He actually wants to drop the 'T' from 'LBQT'; he was also expounding typical TERF fare such as autogynephilia and how trans men can't be proper women because they can't claim the oppression faced by biological women. That sort of stuff.

Given that Benson was - and presumably remains - his fave faghag, I tried having a read of her FB, to see if she has become similarly less reticent about her TERFiness, but it was just post after post bitching about Trump, so in the end I really couldn't be arsed.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

I bought it from iTunes. I'd say yes, if you want all your existing biases confirmed. If they don't need it, you don't need to buy, unless you want to support her simply because she deserves to be rewarded for work done and encouraged to go on to new projects. ;)

BoxNDox

Post by BoxNDox »

Shatterface wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:

By volume, at least.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

shoutinghorse wrote:"I'm just taking the boys out to watch some animals getting their throats slit love, we'll be back for tea"
"Okay dear have a lovely time"

[.img]http://i.imgur.com/hPjbCs0.jpg[/img]
Bunch of psychotics to think letting animals be conscious while bleeding to death is "kosher" or even humane. If Muslims don't want to follow the laws of the land as far as "proper" slaughtering procedures are concerned then they can go vegetarian. Or piss off to the shit-holes where they came from.

Although there is maybe some merit in having people realize where their meat comes from, and how it's converted from on-the-hoof to on-the-table. But the entire halal process, and the people who promote or condone it, leaves a lot to be desired: https://twitter.com/AmyMek/status/903628447397933056

Dhaka apparently:
(CNN)In a bizarre consequence of Eid al-Adha celebrations in Bangladesh, animal sacrifices have combined with heavy rains to leave the streets awash with blood.

Shocking photos emerged from the capital Dhaka Wednesday that showed residents wading through streets flooded with a mix of animal blood and rainwater. ....

windy

Post by windy »

Here's another example of the industry trying to erase a person of color:
http://www.startrek.com/article/trouble ... -her-green
The “green girl” was the creation of Fred Phillips who also made Spock’s Vulcan look for the original Star Trek television series. Stephen E. Whitfield and Gene Roddenberry recalled in The Making of Star Trek (1968) how Phillips grew increasingly frustrated as three consecutive makeup screen tests, in which Roddenberry’s future wife Majel Barrett had been painted green, came back negative.

"Now, Fred Phillips is an exceptionally fine makeup artist and recognized as a top pro in the business. He did a thorough job with the makeup and was quite satisfied with the results.

Imagine everyone’s surprise, upon viewing the developed film the next day, to find the actress’ face just as normally pink skinned as ever! There was no trace of green."

Gene’s orders to Fred Phillips: “Paint her greener!” The following day the test film again showed her as pink skinned as ever. Even Fred was dumbfounded. Recalling the incident, he says, “We did this three days in a row. We had her so green you couldn’t believe it and she kept coming back pink! Finally we figured out what was happening. The technician over at the film lab would receive the film every day and run it through the development solution. As the image formed on the film, he kept saying to himself, ‘My God, this woman is green!’ And so he kept correcting the film developing process in order to turn her back to normal skin color again!”

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

windy wrote:
Here's another example of the industry trying to erase a person of color:
http://www.startrek.com/article/trouble ... -her-green
The “green girl” was the creation of Fred Phillips who also made Spock’s Vulcan look for the original Star Trek television series. Stephen E. Whitfield and Gene Roddenberry recalled in The Making of Star Trek (1968) how Phillips grew increasingly frustrated as three consecutive makeup screen tests, in which Roddenberry’s future wife Majel Barrett had been painted green, came back negative.

"Now, Fred Phillips is an exceptionally fine makeup artist and recognized as a top pro in the business. He did a thorough job with the makeup and was quite satisfied with the results.

Imagine everyone’s surprise, upon viewing the developed film the next day, to find the actress’ face just as normally pink skinned as ever! There was no trace of green."

Gene’s orders to Fred Phillips: “Paint her greener!” The following day the test film again showed her as pink skinned as ever. Even Fred was dumbfounded. Recalling the incident, he says, “We did this three days in a row. We had her so green you couldn’t believe it and she kept coming back pink! Finally we figured out what was happening. The technician over at the film lab would receive the film every day and run it through the development solution. As the image formed on the film, he kept saying to himself, ‘My God, this woman is green!’ And so he kept correcting the film developing process in order to turn her back to normal skin color again!”
A delightful tale. But when you develop colour film you don't get to see the colours until after the development is finished, and there is nothing one can do during the process to adjust something like green > pink. I'm afraid this story is bullshit. It's not even the case that a tech could look at the developed film and try to return a green skin to normality during scanning or printing: filmed Star Trek episodes were on reversal/slide/positive film for projection. There was no 'post-processing'.

Fine, colour me anorak again. I wouldn't want you rubes to be misled.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Jerry's got some scuffles occurring in a post about Hurricane Harvey.

Short version: Some people hear Texas and think "redneck conservatives, of course, serves you right." Others point out Houston is a liberal city in a blue county which thrice-elected an openly lesbian mayor. People are even pushing back against Jerry by pointing out that there's perfectly valid logistical reasons to decline certain types of aid right now, and that while prayers may not do anything, just sending money is the best option.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Tigzy wrote:
Sunder wrote:I remember Spokesgay getting the blunt end of it from ex-friends calling him a TERF for siding with Benson. I also recall his twitter avatar was transsexual Bender from Futurama, so that can't have helped.
I was reminded to check out his Facebook today. He's actually gone full TERF - no two ways about it. ....
Certainly a more tenable position than "trans women are women". Though there seems to be a large & problematic thread of gender essentialism running through the TERF position - which looks rather woo-ish at best, and closer to religious articles of faith:
Women's essence is assumed to be universal and is generally identified with those characteristics viewed as being specifically feminine.[1] These ideas of femininity are usually biologized are often preoccupied with psychological characteristics, such as nurturance, empathy, support, non-competitiveness, etc.[1] Feminist theorist Elizabeth Grosz states in her 1995 publication, Space, time and perversion: essays on the politics of bodies, that essentialism "entails the belief that those characteristics defined as women's essence are shared in common by all women at all times. ...."
Guess the ova producers who aren't particularly nurturing, empathetic, supportive, or non-competitive are summarily kicked out of the Sisterhood. The only thing that is essential to "woman" is that, by definition, they produce ova.
Tigzy wrote:Given that Benson was - and presumably remains - his fave faghag, I tried having a read of her FB, to see if she has become similarly less reticent about her TERFiness, but it was just post after post bitching about Trump, so in the end I really couldn't be arsed.
LoL. "faghag". But wonder how they both feel about the latest "contretemps" in the "intersection" of feminism and transactivism:

free thoughtpolice

Sunder wrote:Jerry's got some scuffles occurring in a post about Hurricane Harvey.

Short version: Some people hear Texas and think "redneck conservatives, of course, serves you right." Others point out Houston is a liberal city in a blue county which thrice-elected an openly lesbian mayor. People are even pushing back against Jerry by pointing out that there's perfectly valid logistical reasons to decline certain types of aid right now, and that while prayers may not do anything, just sending money is the best option.
Was that our barnowl commenting there? I thought she lived near Houston.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Oh and unsurprisingly the same story was eagerly gobbled up by Hemant's gaggle of increasingly Horde-like morons, with the handful of people pointing out the story may in fact be made from whole cloth getting shouted down.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

I thought it was interesting enough. I thought it might just rehash a bunch of stuff I already knew, but getting the different perspectives was interesting.

Dan

Post by Dan »

What a lineup
https://twitter.com/atheistcon/status/8 ... 6076090373