Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Assmanhausen. tee hee
That's where katamari lives.

DrokkIt

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

Post by DrokkIt »

Suet Cardigan wrote:
CommanderTuvok wrote:Hey, Pit Crew.

Have any of you heard about Cordelia Fine's "Testosterone Rex" winning the Book of the Year from the esteemed Royal Society? I don't know too much about the book, other than regressives and SJWs seem to adore it, and proper skeptics have criticised it. Is this another example of post-modernist BS creeping into not just academia, but centuries old scientific institutions?

Has anybody here read it?

Linky: [Warning, links to The Guardian]
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/ ... delia-fine
So it's a fine companion to two works of fiction? :think:

If you haven't heard of The Power:
The Power is a 2016 dystopian science fiction novel by the British writer Naomi Alderman.[1] Its central premise is women developing the ability to release electrical jolts from their fingers,[2] thus leading them to become the dominant gender.[3]
By amazing coincidence, Naomi Alderman was one of the judges.

I'm quite the scifi fan and read a lot.
There has been a massive influx of diversity-cultism into the scene, especially in the YA (young adult) market. I don't care about an author writing from their biases + interests, but I think scifi has suffered from this. The online commentariat is full of rainbow mafia types. Really tiresome, write about whatever genders you want, it's not inherently interesting (to me).

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

American feminist snowflake gets all in yer face shouty at a man wearing a MAGA hat in a bar.
The bar is in Denmark where they have 'Hate speech' laws.

Read the script at the end :dance:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl-4vT-GRks

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

shoutinghorse wrote:American feminist snowflake gets all in yer face shouty at a man wearing a MAGA hat in a bar.
Politically motivated assault sound more solid. I think they are suggesting that she actually struck him in her finger wagging while calling him a racist POS.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

shoutinghorse wrote:American feminist snowflake gets all in yer face shouty at a man wearing a MAGA hat in a bar.

But...but...vagina!

https://media.giphy.com/media/kPGi9iqInn2tW/giphy.gif

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

[quote="deLurch"
Politically motivated assault sound more solid. I think they are suggesting that she actually struck him in her finger wagging while calling him a racist POS.[/quote]

Watch it again, she throws a glass of booze at him.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

shoutinghorse wrote:Watch it again, she throws a glass of booze at him.
That's foreplay in my neck of the woods ;)

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

That was funny. Any idea how serious her charges are, what penalties, etc?

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Bhurzum wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/5kZUkVI.jpg

Guest_936d3dec

Post by Guest_936d3dec »

The Dollop
The Dollop is a podcast hosted since April 2014 by American comedians Dave Anthony and Gareth Reynolds. Each episode centers around an event or person from history selected for its humorousness or peculiarity. Typical episodes feature subjects from American history described by Anthony and commented on by Anthony and Reynolds.
I listened to one of their podcasts, about uber and it's very accurate, very funny, and wow, uber is disgusting company.
So The Dollop are these two comedians skewering people from all around history. Could be a lot of fun. Could be a recipe for success.

The problem: Dave Anthony leans SJW and SJW tendencies are counter to humor.
I simply won’t be doing anymore Irish based stories.

various tweeters responding:

i’m irish and they make me laugh like hell fwiw ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This makes me irrationally angry. It must be my Irish temper.

I'm Irish and your accents make me laugh so hard. I don't what real Irish people would complain

Awwww CMON!!! As an Irish Australian from convict past, they're bloody brilliant!!! And now we whities privileged, so fair cop.

I'm In ireland and I love your terrible Irish accents, you can't stop them

As a first generation Irish immigrant never lose the accents all your British isles accents are great

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
Bhurzum wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/5kZUkVI.jpg
Begbie went a-courtin' :lol:

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

He said he was on the toilet.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Scottish people don’t complain
Except when its their round. :angry-cussingblack:

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

shoutinghorse wrote:
Scottish people don’t complain
Except when its their round. :angry-cussingblack:
Jesus, man.

How about a trigger warning before you drop the "R" word?

:doh:

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

Brive1987 wrote:Fucked up today and it took 13 hours to get to Switzerland destination.
I can top that. Coming back from the US to China, when I made our reservations for a hotel in Guangzhou, and a train from there to Guilin, I made them for a day too early, so we arrived too late at the hotel to get the room, and we missed our train. No refunds! I bought new train tickets, and we missed the train again, because we went to the wrong station. No refunds! All the seats were sold out for the following day, so it ended up taking more than two days longer to get back home than we had planned.

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

My earliest memory of political correctness was in 1962, when Crayola changed the name of one of its colors from "flesh" to "peach."

5 Times Crayola Fired Their Crayons

The concerns about that made sense to me at the time, because I could see how people could be oppressed, demoralized, and disabled by popular stereotypes. I would still agree with changing the name of that color, but not because it was part of a system of oppression, which I agree that it was, but because of its inaccuracy in some contexts where the crayons might be used. I also see that even that far back, the political correctness might have been more for economic and political reasons, than to actually address any social issues.

Thinking about that, I see that one glaring flaw among others in political correctness is substituting repression of some symptoms of social problems, in the place of actually trying to solve the problems.

Just like most drug prescriptions these days.

John D

Post by John D »

jimhabegger wrote:My earliest memory of political correctness was in 1962, when Crayola changed the name of one of its colors from "flesh" to "peach."

The concerns about that made sense to me at the time, because I could see how people could be oppressed, demoralized, and disabled by popular stereotypes. I would still agree with changing the name of that color, but not because it was part of a system of oppression, which I agree that it was, but because of its inaccuracy in some contexts where the crayons might be used. I also see that even that far back, the political correctness might have been more for economic and political reasons, than to actually address any social issues.

Thinking about that, I see that one glaring flaw among others in political correctness is substituting repression of some symptoms of social problems, in the place of actually trying to solve the problems.

Well... the flesh thing didn't hit everywhere. Miniature models paints still use flesh as a name... and light flesh... and dark flesh... and ruddy flesh... haha. I guess it is okay if you have more than one color of flesh.

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

*giggle*

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

jimhabegger wrote:My earliest memory of political correctness was in 1962, when Crayola changed the name of one of its colors from "flesh" to "peach."

You may not know this, but I have a lot of experience with people with mental illness. It happens that one of Dr. free thoughtpolice Phd's many girlfriends for more than 30 years happens to have been a mental health professional. I have heard of and seen a lot of grief, too often lethal where people needed medication and listened to some organic woo peddler and refused treatment because it wasn't organic or pure or some other.
"Just like most drug prescriptions today" is weapon s grade stupid. I hope not too many vulnerable people listen to that dangerous advice.

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

Free thoughtpolice, I thought I made it clear that I feel the same way about organic woo for mental illness, as I do about overprescribing. It all uses the same fraudulent disease branding, for marketing purposes. Organic woo might not be as poisonous as prescription drugs, but I'm not sure of that. I thought I also made it clear that I agree with using drugs to relieve symptoms, when it's well-informed, and practiced and promoted honestly and responsibly.

Are you disagreeing that there is some overprescribing going on under the influence of fraudulent marketing campaigns, or that some drug use (and organic woo) is substituting relief of symptoms in the place of treating whatever is causing those symptoms, or that there is any harm in that? I don't see how saying that would discourage anyone from using drugs responsibly, to relieve their symptoms.

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

free thoughtpolice wrote:I have heard of and seen a lot of grief, too often lethal where people needed medication and listened to some organic woo peddler and refused treatment because it wasn't organic or pure or some other.
I'm sure that happens a lot, and that grieves me just as much as the harm that I see being done with prescription drugs. Everything I've said about fraudulent marketing, and drug abuse, applies just as much to organic woo as to prescription drugs, except that possibly organic woo might be less poisonous.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Guest_936d3dec wrote:
And he says it as though he believes it. So if you can not do the actual science just claim to be a Historian of [whatever it is you do not understand and never will barring a modern miracle not seen since the virgin birth] and advance your agenda.
I've definitely seen that, and another tact to take is to become a Science Journalist whose background is purely journalism (and gender studies). But not someone hires you to write a science blog and poof, you're a science explainer and suddenly your take on sexism in science and sexism in tech and how evo psych is bullshit and science proves there is no binary sex is authoritative and those evil gamergaters, those evil gamergaters.

Related, I see Jesse Singal, has now climbed up to the New York Times skipping across many periodicals and twitter all peddling his never taken a science class in college science journalism explainers...
The tragedy about Singal is that he is capable of good journalism. What seems to have got in his way of that is he is dishonest. I expect that this will catch up with him one day.

Dunno when, it could take years but it is inevitable.

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

Or even as I said it originally: Most drug prescriptions are substituting relief of symptoms in the place of treating whatever is causing them. Are you disagreeing with that? Are you doubting it? And even if I'm wrong, I don't see how saying that would discourage anyone from using drugs responsibly, to relieve their symptoms.

Actually, what I've been thinking of has been drugs prescribed for perpetual daily use, but what I'm saying might apply to drugs in general. What makes perpetual daily use more of an issue for me is that it has more tragic consequences.

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

Some random early memories about political correctness, where I can see some possible roots of identity politics:

1. Learning that some African-American people were offended by being called "black," and some black people were offended by being called "African-American."

2. Learning, and then unlearning, to call American Indians "Native Americans," without ever learning really what else to call them.

3. My first memory of people saying "politically correct" was about political candidates being careful not to say anything that might alienate any supporters or potential supporters.

----

My most traumatic personal experience with identity politics was when I said something on my Facebook timeline about the hostility of the social environment for gays in my community possibly depriving us of some artistic talent. One of my LGBTQQIAAP friends tore into me for stereotyping gays. I tried to reason with her about it, until she said that it was the first time in a long time that she felt like killing herself. That's when I realized that I wasn't as gay-safe, or any kind of identity-safe, as I thought I was. I advised her not to have any more to do with me, because whatever interest she might have in me wasn't worth putting herself in that much danger.

----

Some possible roots of identity politics that I've seen:

I remember people learning to discover and value their cultural heritages, as a way of counteracting the oppressive effects of the economic and social environment for them. When I first saw that, it wasn't a political thing. It was a source of moral support, in the face of an oppressive environment. That's what people meant by "who I really am." Part of a culture to be proud of, and to draw from for personal development. Then gradually the common cultural heritage was used more and more to rally people for economic political purposes, to get a bigger share of the booty from massive murderous global campaigns of plundering and pillaging. Since anyone can plausibly claim to have common ancestors with anyone from any culture, it became more a matter of what culture a person identified with, than of ancestry. That's where I see political identity peeping up out of the ground. Then that political strategy was adopted and transformed by gay lobbies, inventing a new kind of identity, not based on a common cultural heritage, but on common life experiences. It was in the context of gay lobbying that I saw the idea growing and spreading, not to question anyone's claim to an identity, and that idea was carried over into all the other new identities.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

jimhabegger wrote: One of my LGBTQQIAAP friends tore into me for stereotyping gays. I tried to reason with her about it, until she said that it was the first time in a long time that she felt like killing herself. That's when I realized that I wasn't as gay-safe, or any kind of identity-safe, as I thought I was. I advised her not to have any more to do with me, because whatever interest she might have in me wasn't worth putting herself in that much danger.
Why not just buy her a "LOOK AT ME - I'M UNIQUE AND SPECIAL" t-shirt? Perhaps with a nice pair of matching clown shoes...

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:BTW Kirb, Switzerland is the most ridiculous country I have ever visited. Beautiful, but so ridiculous.
I agree. Zermatt is especially ridiculous :bjarte:
I don't know. I'm lying here on couch staring at the Matterhorn framed against blue sky after having a super massive breakfast laid out by a lovely young thing in our huge chalet dual-corner apartment perched high on the slopes.

How bad can it get?

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Two of my earliest experiences of PC come from TV & film and both from the 1970's .. I can remember watching the movie Dambusters in the late 70's and hearing Guy Gibsons dog Nigger being dubbed as "Blackie" Interestingly, I've also seen the film where the name has just been left out (silent pause) but more recently with the 'Offensive word' being left in.

My second memory is the British sitcom 'It ain't half hot mum' where the lead Indian character was played by the white English actor Michael Bates which caused a bit of a kerfuffle at the time for the role not going to an 'Asian' actor. No one seemed to be bothered about the very effeminate and very gay/trans character Gloria though.
How times have changed.

SM1957

Post by SM1957 »

shoutinghorse wrote:Two of my earliest experiences of PC come from TV & film and both from the 1970's .. I can remember watching the movie Dambusters in the late 70's and hearing Guy Gibsons dog Nigger being dubbed as "Blackie" Interestingly, I've also seen the film where the name has just been left out (silent pause) but more recently with the 'Offensive word' being left in.

My second memory is the British sitcom 'It ain't half hot mum' where the lead Indian character was played by the white English actor Michael Bates which caused a bit of a kerfuffle at the time for the role not going to an 'Asian' actor. No one seemed to be bothered about the very effeminate and very gay/trans character Gloria though.
How times have changed.
Michael Bates was Asian. he was born in Jhansi in India.

How Asian is India?

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Not ethnically though, he was still disgustingly white.

SM1957

Post by SM1957 »

shoutinghorse wrote:Not ethnically though, he was still disgustingly white.
Apparently, it washes off.

If not, a clever trick is to hide your shameful whiteness by covering it in black make up.

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

I've set a goal for myself of finding something that I like in one of Rebecca Watson's videos.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Erm .. Like never :suimouth:

feathers

Post by feathers »

Which makes her diminishedly responsible, because what idiot would throw alcohol bought in a Danish bar at someone?

The case will probably go nowhere, though.

feathers

Post by feathers »

John D wrote:Well... the flesh thing didn't hit everywhere. Miniature models paints still use flesh as a name... and light flesh... and dark flesh... and ruddy flesh... haha. I guess it is okay if you have more than one color of flesh.
And flesh light.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

shoutinghorse wrote:Erm .. Like never :suimouth:
When your broadcasts reach a planet where they are turned on by potatoes?

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

jimhabegger wrote:I've set a goal for myself of finding something that I like in one of Rebecca Watson's videos.
Once you are done there would you be able to provide a critical analysis of the work of GG Allen?

thanks

feathers

Post by feathers »

Check your regional privilege, you video-linking shitlord!

Fortunately there's the Swedish Netflix.

feathers

Post by feathers »

shoutinghorse wrote:My second memory is the British sitcom 'It ain't half hot mum' where the lead Indian character was played by the white English actor Michael Bates which caused a bit of a kerfuffle at the time for the role not going to an 'Asian' actor. No one seemed to be bothered about the very effeminate and very gay/trans character Gloria though.
They're all a bunch of poofs anyway.

feathers

Post by feathers »

jimhabegger wrote:I've set a goal for myself of finding something that I like in one of Rebecca Watson's videos.
The last, dark, frame?

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

jimhabegger wrote:Or even as I said it originally: Most drug prescriptions are substituting relief of symptoms in the place of treating whatever is causing them. Are you disagreeing with that? Are you doubting it? And even if I'm wrong, I don't see how saying that would discourage anyone from using drugs responsibly, to relieve their symptoms.

Actually, what I've been thinking of has been drugs prescribed for perpetual daily use, but what I'm saying might apply to drugs in general. What makes perpetual daily use more of an issue for me is that it has more tragic consequences.
As we have patiently explained to you, treating the symptoms is treating the condition because those symptoms are the condition. If you think you know what the underlying cause is please let the medical profession know what the fuck it is.

The generalised sniping at medication and then retreating behind 'over-medication' when challenged on it is classic Motte and Bailey.

What the fuck tragic consequences are you blathering on about? Are you balancing them against the utter ducking misery of not being treated?

Get a fucking clue.

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

Suet Cardigan wrote:
CommanderTuvok wrote:Hey, Pit Crew.

Have any of you heard about Cordelia Fine's "Testosterone Rex" winning the Book of the Year from the esteemed Royal Society? I don't know too much about the book, other than regressives and SJWs seem to adore it, and proper skeptics have criticised it. Is this another example of post-modernist BS creeping into not just academia, but centuries old scientific institutions?

Has anybody here read it?

Linky: [Warning, links to The Guardian]
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/ ... delia-fine
So it's a fine companion to two works of fiction? :think:

The Power is a 2016 dystopian science fiction novel by the British writer Naomi Alderman.[1] Its central premise is women developing the ability to release electrical jolts from their fingers,[2] thus leading them to become the dominant gender.[3]
"Every man and women should read this book on Gender bias"
Man and Woman?
How very sexual diamorphic of them! Check your gender bias yourselves, dudebros!

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

I dunno, I quite like a challenge...

Suet Cardigan

Post by Suet Cardigan »

I think that's what's known as a "challenge wank":

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... nge%20wank

Suet Cardigan

Post by Suet Cardigan »

DrokkIt wrote:
I dunno, I quite like a challenge...
Bollocks.

images/smilies/ninja.png

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Suet Cardigan wrote:
I think that's what's known as a "challenge wank":

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... nge%20wank
https://i.imgur.com/VTd2rbk.gif

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Suet Cardigan wrote: So it's a fine companion to two works of fiction? :think:

I've mentioned before that my first encounter with SJW entryism was through Doctor Who fandom in the Nineties. Alderman has written a Doctor Who spin-off novel.

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

I've just watched parts of two or three of Watson's videos, and actually what I like best of what I've seen is what she said about the guy in the elevator, and her infamous remark "Just a word t-- to the wise, here, guys ... don't to that."

I thought it was cute, and appealing, and if that's what all the fuss was about, I don't get it. Watching her up to that point made me feel like inviting her somewhere for a coffee. I've already found a common interest with her: we both like Starbucks. It's the part starting at 5:55 that starts to annoy me, and gives me second thoughts about ever having a coffee with her. Still, not enough to make a fuss about it.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

jimhabegger wrote:I thought it was cute, and appealing, and if that's what all the fuss was about, I don't get it.
That wasn't what all the fuss was about. Brive has an entire timeline about how the thing evolved from a storm in a teacup to a confederacy of dunces.
Watching her up to that point made me feel like inviting her somewhere for a coffee.
:lol:

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/48/489fcb74 ... 6c5d1b.jpg

I like your style, Jim.

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

Did anyone ever point out that in Watson's elevator guy video, she explicitly encouraged people to flame her?

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

DrokkIt wrote:I dunno, I quite like a challenge...
There's "run a marathon" challenge and then there's "dig to China with a spoon" challenge.

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

Kirbmarc wrote:That wasn't what all the fuss was about. Brive has an entire timeline about how the thing evolved from a storm in a teacup to a confederacy of dunces.
Yes, I remember that now. Is there an easy way to find it?

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

jimhabegger wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:That wasn't what all the fuss was about. Brive has an entire timeline about how the thing evolved from a storm in a teacup to a confederacy of dunces.
It was in Brive's signature all along, but here it is.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

https://imgoat.com/uploads/c8349cc726/44858.gif

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

There seems to be a #comicsgate-like dramalama thing brewing with Diversity & Comics and some of the SJW Marvel people. Don't really know much about it, but here's a vid with Zack rambling along in his usual way about some aspects of it:-

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

Sunder wrote:
DrokkIt wrote:I dunno, I quite like a challenge...
There's "run a marathon" challenge and then there's "dig to China with a spoon" challenge.

I'd certainly be digging very deep, only in the psychological sense and not the literal.

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

jimhabegger wrote:I've just watched parts of two or three of Watson's videos, and actually what I like best of what I've seen is what she said about the guy in the elevator, and her infamous remark "Just a word t-- to the wise, here, guys ... don't to that."

I thought it was cute, and appealing, and if that's what all the fuss was about, I don't get it. Watching her up to that point made me feel like inviting her somewhere for a coffee. I've already found a common interest with her: we both like Starbucks. It's the part starting at 5:55 that starts to annoy me, and gives me second thoughts about ever having a coffee with her. Still, not enough to make a fuss about it.
At this point she still hand a vested interest in "regular atheist bros" that listened to SGU. Shortly hereafter would come her first taste of victim-hood attention and it's associated advantages (which henceforth I shall call "VICTIMCOME"). If you listened to SGU back in the day -I did- she became increasingly vocal and shrill about this, culminating in the Dawkins fallout.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Kirbmarc wrote:
jimhabegger wrote:
It was in Brive's signature all along, but here it is.

Has anyone else noticed a distinct lack of mention toward the 'mugfriend' since he moved in? Since she insulted his boss on twitter there's been nothing .. nada .. zilch. The loved up instagram pics have dried up too.

Kathy Bates .. Misery ? :shock:

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Money is like religion in some senses. (h/t to Hitchens).

People soon determine where the cash stream is coming from...

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

Brive1987 wrote:
I am now sitting on the toilet in Zermatt in a two bedroom apartment which has views and interiors that feature in a Boutique Hotels of the World book.

I am feeling more flush than the FT himself. So whatever is happening in SJW land can, for a while, get fucked.

BTW Kirb, Switzerland is the most ridiculous country I have ever visited. Beautiful, but so ridiculous.
I love Zermatt, stayed there for 2 weeks a few years ago, when the OH had grand plans of climbing the Matterhorn. He made it to base camp...talking about going back for another try next year. Just as well there are some good pubs in the town.

Hope you have good weather, the hiking is amazing.