In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

Old subthreads
MarcusAu

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

Post by MarcusAu »

Brive1987 wrote:
We also use "root-her", just in a different context.

The post 1995 techno-world came from American, as do the terms.
Well, you can get your kicks on Root...(or is it pronounced Ra-ow-t ?)...66.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: trump tweets admission of the nothingburger of obstruction of justice:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the ... b68a9687a9
Fake news. Trump didn't tweet that. He didn't make the grab 'em by the pussy remark either.
Can the tweet be used as evidence in an investigation? Can it be admitted in court?

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Can the tweet be used as evidence in an investigation? Can it be admitted in court?
Yes. They may have to demonstrate who wrote it though, and now one of Trump's lawyers is trying to say that Trump didn't write it.

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

They've said it was actually Trumps lawyer behind the account for that tweet. I'm not buying it, as it was written exactly like Trump sounds.

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

Yes. They may have to demonstrate who wrote it though, and now one of Trump's lawyers is trying to say that Trump didn't write it.
:nin:

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Got it. Also, even if it could be proven that Trump actually wrote the tweet, do they have to demonstrate that Trump actually knew of Flynn lying to the FBI when he told Comey that he "hoped he'd let this go" and didn't simply mix up the order of events in the tweet (Trump fired Flynn on the 13th, spoke to Comey on the 14th and Flynn's lying the FBI became public knowledge on 16th of February) , or is guilt assumed because of the tweet alone?

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Old_ones wrote:
Fox News has been banging on about this so called "war on Christmas" happening in the states since some time in the early 2000s. Their basis for this initially seemed to be the prevalence of people and companies using "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas", and increasing references to "Holidays" instead of "Christmas". It all seemed preposterous back when Bill O'Reilly and John Gibson started ranting about it.

But now here we are in 2017, and we have a Guardian writer explicitly calling for a "real War on Christmas".

If I didn't know better I might think the left was falling victim to parody writers who were deliberately trying to make it look ridiculous. I can't tell the guardian from the onion anymore.

:twatson:

Guest_d2e60302

Post by Guest_d2e60302 »

They've said it was actually Trumps lawyer behind the account for that tweet. I'm not buying it, as it was written exactly like Trump sounds
It sounds exactly like Trump.

That said,
Sometimes it seems as if we are a country of the lawyers, by the lawyers, for the lawyers, and the tweet above is an example.

Adam is bigwig at FIRE, a group I would reflexively support and so too their lawyers, but here he is saying:

+ If your lawyer tells you to do X,
+ And you do X because your lawyer said to do X
+ It is still your responsibility and not your crummy lawyer's.

In the meantime of course they always say

+ lolzers what a dummy he should have gotten a lawyer to give him advice

So they've made a system that requires you to get a lawyer, and then the lawyers take no responsibility.

Fuck Trump, fuck Hillary, fuck them all these days.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: trump tweets admission of the nothingburger of obstruction of justice:

Fake news. Trump didn't tweet that. He didn't make the grab 'em by the pussy remark either.
Aside from the fact that it's a tweet, there are limited characters even now, and that causes people to condense what they say. Meaning it's hardly evidence of anything... Trump's lawyer has already admitted to tweeting it.

If this was tweeted out in January it might mean something. Right now it's the weakest of weak sauce.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

It's not a war on Christmas, it's just a police action.

Welcome back fuckers.

free thoughtpolice

Kirbmarc wrote:

Got it. Also, even if it could be proven that Trump actually wrote the tweet, do they have to demonstrate that Trump actually knew of Flynn lying to the FBI when he told Comey that he "hoped he'd let this go" and didn't simply mix up the order of events in the tweet (Trump fired Flynn on the 13th, spoke to Comey on the 14th and Flynn's lying the FBI became public knowledge on 16th of February) , or is guilt assumed because of the tweet alone?
If Trump fired Flynn because he knew he lied to the FBI as well as Pence, it means he tried to get Comey to stop investigating someone that he knew was guilty of a felony.
I would think that would make an even stronger case for obstruction of justice than they had before which included an admission to Lester Holt of NBC during an interview that he fired Comey because of the Russia investigation and an apparent similar admission he made to Kislyak.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

deLurch wrote:
SM1957 wrote: like button
Unfortunately lsumsoma's post on the new phbBB version did not get migrated so I can't research exact version compatibility.

Postlove
https://github.com/satanasov/postlove
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2246576

Ajax Like
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2162699
[/quote]
Sooooo...

Last time I tried to add a mod for a like button, it fucked the Pit. The reason was that it modifies the backend DB, and stupid fucking Dreamhost times out before the DB operations were complete, and the same happened when I tried to uninstall too. In the end I have to fire up the CLI and repair the DB.

I'll prolly give this one a go sometime, but I'm going to grovel around in the code first to see exactly what it does to the DB before I do anything.

Later...

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

some guy wrote: So probably not a surprise to anyone here, but The Orbit apparently never sent out backer rewards from their Kickstarter, which completed over a year and a half ago (taking in $10K, more than twice their original goal).

I guess Stephanie Zvan learned from Heina Dadabhoy's experience that delivering on your kickstarter promises was completely optional once you got the money.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/10 ... t/comments
What did they expect? A cookie? Isn't supporting The Orbit and enabling its stellar array of bloggers to do their thing not reward enough? (That is, if enabling isn't ableist speech. I need to think about that.) Is it any wonder that our Orbiters didn't have the spoons to send some fucking surleyramics to a bunch of entitled snobs? For fuck's sake, we have a President Trump. Let that sink in: President Trump, and these whining cum stains can't think of anything better to do than to harass the Orbit crew, some of whom are trans people with so many disabilities that it's a miracle they are even able to blog twice a year. No, they want their fucking T-shirts, and pronto. Well, they can have them. And this is what will be printed on them. I supported The Orbit, and all I got for being an asshole is this lousy T-shirt. The fucking wankers.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Guest_935516df wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:32 pm
I am not sure if Lsuoma would care about this, but the quote button no longer works for guests.
-Soylent
Should be fixed now.

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Fox makes it sound like “Happy Holidays” is some new thing, It’s been commonly used since at least the Seventies if not earlier.
It makes perfect sense with Christmasmas normally sandwiched between Chanukah and New Years.
Thats quite a bit of a nothingnurger right there.
Now get your god baby out of my pagan winter festival... fucker wasn’t even born in December.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

Old_ones wrote: Fox News has been banging on about this so called "war on Christmas" happening in the states since some time in the early 2000s. Their basis for this initially seemed to be the prevalence of people and companies using "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas", and increasing references to "Holidays" instead of "Christmas". It all seemed preposterous back when Bill O'Reilly and John Gibson started ranting about it.

But now here we are in 2017, and we have a Guardian writer explicitly calling for a "real War on Christmas".

If I didn't know better I might think the left was falling victim to parody writers who were deliberately trying to make it look ridiculous. I can't tell the guardian from the onion anymore.

:twatson:
To be fair, I never thought they were totally crazy for thinking there was a war on Christmas. I followed the efforts of the secularists to get nativity scenes removed from federally owned land. Or ensuring "decoration" from other faiths or non-faiths was also allowed.
I began to get mixed feelings about it, while i think it's very important to maintain the separation of church and state even at Xmas, I sometimes got the feeling people were sometimes just trying to piss off the Christians -- there was certainly plenty of gloating. And I never did understand why corporations would want to avoid saying "Merry Christmas" in favour of "Happy Holidays". I suspect that progressives might have been whispering in ears trying to convince them they were being inclusive. Oh how naive we all were back then.

free thoughtpolice

VickyCaramel wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:

Aside from the fact that it's a tweet, there are limited characters even now, and that causes people to condense what they say. Meaning it's hardly evidence of anything... Trump's lawyer has already admitted to tweeting it.

If this was tweeted out in January it might mean something. Right now it's the weakest of weak sauce.
Well the tweet said this:
I had to fire General Flynn because he lied to the Vice President and the FBI. He has pled guilty to those lies. It is a shame because his actions during the transition were lawful. There was nothing to hide!
So I guess he didn't have the characters to say "and not to the FBI" instead "and the FBI". Pretty sloppy wording for a high priced attorney to make if he meant something else. Also odd that an experienced attorney would use pled instead the usual pleaded. Either way if Dowd wrote this he appears to be conceding the guilt of his client it makes him look amateurish and incompetent, or if he is lying to cover up for Trump he has put himself in a heap of trouble if and when it is proven.

free thoughtpolice

Spike13 wrote: Fox makes it sound like “Happy Holidays” is some new thing, It’s been commonly used since at least the Seventies if not earlier.
It makes perfect sense with Christmasmas normally sandwiched between Chanukah and New Years.
Now get your god baby out of my pagan winter festival... fucker wasn’t even born in December.
That's why when the Jehovahs Witnesses come by this time of year I wish them a Happy Saturnalia. :drool:

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

OK, fuckheads - to avoid the borkage when quoting already thrice-quoted content I have removed the limit of three quotes.

[FT]DON'T ABUSE THIS!![/FT]

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Lsuoma wrote: OK, fuckheads - to avoid the borkage when quoting already thrice-quoted content I have removed the limit of three quotes.

Got ya.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Hunt wrote:
Lsuoma wrote: OK, fuckheads - to avoid the borkage when quoting already thrice-quoted content I have removed the limit of three quotes.

Got ya.
Me too. How about the rest of you?

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

While you're fixing nits, this thread is missing deLurch's favicon. Most others have it, but there are occasional one-offs that don't, like Vicky's "alt-right doesn't need fixing" thread.

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

Shatterface wrote:
Hunt wrote:

Got ya.
Do not break the chain...

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

MarcusAu wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:50 pm
Steersman wrote: <snip>

Interesting that both you and the article refer to Izzard as a he ... Which is actually the most sensible way of dealing with the issue. Likewise with Bruce Jenner who should be forced to return his "Woman of the Year" award - what fucken joke.
There have been times when an Oscar was awarded to someone that (I think) was not really the best choice. But even, so I don't think anyone needs to be 'forced' to do anything.
Wasn't planning on getting a pitch-forks-and-torches mob together and camping out on Jenner's lawn to force him into doing that. Just expressing an opinion on what I think Jenner's "obligation, duty, or correctness" is, signaling my "virtue", such as it is.
MarcusAu wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:50 pm
Awarding Caitlin (!) Jenner the 'Women of the Year' - did exactly what they wanted it go - it demonstrated their progressive politics, and helped to sell a lot of magazines. It did not turn our understanding of science on it's head any more than the forced return of the award would do.
"Selling a lot of magazines", particularly those filled with schlock, isn't necessarily all that commendable. And while it didn't "turn our understanding of science on its head", one might reasonably argue that it seriously devalues & degrades some quite useful terms and points of reference. Kind of like the NY Times "normalizing" belief in astrology ...

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

MacGruberKnows wrote:
Shatterface wrote:
Hunt wrote:

Got ya.
Cunts, you're all a bunch o' cunts!

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

MacGruberKnows wrote:
Shatterface wrote:
Hunt wrote:

Got ya.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Lsuoma wrote:
MacGruberKnows wrote:
Shatterface wrote:
Hunt wrote:

Got ya.
Fuck, I've caught Cavanitis!

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Lsuoma wrote:
deLurch wrote:
Unfortunately lsumsoma's post on the new phbBB version did not get migrated so I can't research exact version compatibility.

Postlove

Ajax Like
Sooooo...

Last time I tried to add a mod for a like button, it fucked the Pit. The reason was that it modifies the backend DB, and stupid fucking Dreamhost times out before the DB operations were complete, and the same happened when I tried to uninstall too. In the end I have to fire up the CLI and repair the DB.

I'll prolly give this one a go sometime, but I'm going to grovel around in the code first to see exactly what it does to the DB before I do anything.

Later...
[/quote]

You talk like you don't have a test environment supported by a UAT working party.

I think it's time we saw how all this is aligned to overall strategy and the mechanism by which end user requirements are identified and addressed. In fact I'm thinking we have no option but for an independent audit with which we expect your full cooperation. I will prepare a confidential scope forthwith.

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

Kirbmarc wrote:

If Trump fired Flynn because he knew he lied to the FBI as well as Pence, it means he tried to get Comey to stop investigating someone that he knew was guilty of a felony.
I would think that would make an even stronger case for obstruction of justice than they had before which included an admission to Lester Holt of NBC during an interview that he fired Comey because of the Russia investigation and an apparent similar admission he made to Kislyak.
One of the writers at FiveThirtyEight.com wrote about the meaning of the Flynn indictment and came to a similar conclusion regarding obstruction of justice.
Perry Bacon Jr. wrote: Obstruction of justice –– Remember that former FBI Director James Comey, in the statement he released the day before he testified on Capitol Hill in the spring about the circumstances of his dismissal, described a one-on-one Oval Office conversation with Trump. The president, according to Comey, said, “I hope you can see your way clear to letting this go, to letting Flynn go. He is a good guy.” Comey interpreted this statement as asking him to end the FBI’s investigation of Flynn, which Comey refused to do.

If you believe Comey’s account, the man whom the president was concerned enough about to personally ask for him not to be investigated has now plead guilty. And if Mueller is investigating Trump for obstruction of justice, as has been reported, that case is reinforced by this plea. Trump fired Comey after the FBI director would not stop investigating someone (Flynn) who was in enough legal jeopardy to later plead guilty.

Also, the obstruction case against Trump got stronger in the hours just before the Flynn announcement. The New York Times reported on Thursday night that the president has called several GOP senators and asked them to do what they can to wind down the various Russia investigations on Capitol Hill. One of the senators that Trump reached out to is North Carolina’s Richard Burr, who is leading the Senate Intelligence Committee probe. It is not necessarily illegal for Trump to call Burr and other senators and make that request, but his behavior fits with a broader pattern of moves, like Trump’s alleged conversations with Comey, that suggest Trump is trying to stall or slow down the various investigations into his campaign’s connections with Russian officials.
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/mi ... s-of-ways/

There were a few other ways he felt the indictment was bad for Trump. The other important one in my view is the fact that Flynn entered a guilty plea, which means he is likely providing info to Mueller. The fact that Flynn was indicted doesn't itself prove anything about the involvement of Trump or his family, but Flynn a member of Trump's cabinet, and is more likely to know about any involvement with the Russians than Papadopoulos.

free thoughtpolice

Old Ones wrote:
There were a few other ways he felt the indictment was bad for Trump. The other important one in my view is the fact that Flynn entered a guilty plea, which means he is likely providing info to Mueller. The fact that Flynn was indicted doesn't itself prove anything about the involvement of Trump or his family, but Flynn a member of Trump's cabinet, and is more likely to know about any involvement with the Russians than Papadopoulos.
They had the goods on Flynn and his son. To give them the pass that they just ignore the other charges makes me think that Flynn gave them something big on Trump or family.

TheMudbrooker

Post by TheMudbrooker »

Lsuoma wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
MacGruberKnows wrote:
Shatterface wrote:
Hunt wrote:

Got ya.
You were expecting some other result?

Guest_935516df

Post by Guest_935516df »

Lsuoma wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:16 pm
Guest_935516df wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:32 pm
I am not sure if Lsuoma would care about this, but the quote button no longer works for guests.
-Soylent
Should be fixed now.
Fix confirmed.
-Soylent

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Slipterid wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:28 am
Steersman wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:58 am
<snip>

:-) But yea - kind of think it's akin to or based on people being more focused on just the sounds of the words rather than on whether they make sense or hang together in any rational way:
Wikipedia_HumptyDumptyAliceWords_Sctn.jpg
:-D One can't help but wonder if Lewis Carroll had a problem with SJWs even in his day.
Yea. :-) As one Jean-Baptiste Alphonse Karr put it some 200 years ago, "plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose". Kind of looks like humanity is evolving, more or less, though it's moot whether it will be fast enough to forestall disaster. Even if that may be of little more than academic interest to me - "apres moi, le deluge" and all that.

But ran across an interesting illustration of Karr's summary in a book, a series of essays, by the late P.B. Medawar, British scientist and Nobel laureate, on science titled The Art of the Soluble - fascinating book, highly recommended. In one essay he's talking of the "central ideas of the hypothetico-deductive scheme of scientific reasoning" - a not unreasonable perspective as it seems there's a more or less exhaustive partitioning of thought into inductive and deductive reasoning - and is referring here to some "philosophers" who seem unclear on that dichotomy:
Medawar wrote:Even the more sophisticated authors of “Philosophick Romances” did not seem to realize that any one set of phenomena could be explained by many hypotheses other than the one they fancied. It seems a strange blindness, but I think that Dugald Stewart in a finely reasoned passage got to the bottom of it. It was a favorite conceit in eighteenth-century philosophizing – Stewart found it in Boscovich, Le Sage, D’Alembert, Gravesande and Hartley – that natural philosophy is, in David Hartley’s words, “… the art of deciphering the Mysteries of Nature … so that … every Theory which can explain all the Phaenomena, has all the same Evidence in its favour, that it is possible the Key of a Cypher can have from its explaining that Cypher.” [pg 147]
Lovely phrase - "philosophick romances" - that I think neatly summarizes the problem. While the passage includes a bit of ye olde English that I find a bit difficult to parse, I think it shows that much of "eighteenth-century philosophizing" was vitiated by a belief that any hypothesis one could come up with was, ipso facto, gospel truth. Rather much like what passes for scholarship in Academia these days, and as sadly illustrated in many Real Peer Review tweets. And a nice illustration of that dichotomy, courtesy of one of FTP's go-to sources ... ;-)

Guest_935516df

Post by Guest_935516df »

Lsuoma wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:31 pm
Thankfully we are not limited to only 3 cunts now.
-Soylent

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

TheMudbrooker wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
Lsuoma wrote: <snip>
What's the intent here? To see how many recursions it takes to break the Pit?

TheMudbrooker

Post by TheMudbrooker »

Steersman wrote:
TheMudbrooker wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
Lsuoma wrote: <snip>
It's like giving a monkey a machine gun, it's entertaining as hell but you know it's not gonna end well. :D

Really?

Post by Really? »

Old_ones wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:

One of the writers at FiveThirtyEight.com wrote about the meaning of the Flynn indictment and came to a similar conclusion regarding obstruction of justice.
Perry Bacon Jr. wrote: Obstruction of justice –– Remember that former FBI Director James Comey, in the statement he released the day before he testified on Capitol Hill in the spring about the circumstances of his dismissal, described a one-on-one Oval Office conversation with Trump. The president, according to Comey, said, “I hope you can see your way clear to letting this go, to letting Flynn go. He is a good guy.” Comey interpreted this statement as asking him to end the FBI’s investigation of Flynn, which Comey refused to do.

If you believe Comey’s account, the man whom the president was concerned enough about to personally ask for him not to be investigated has now plead guilty. And if Mueller is investigating Trump for obstruction of justice, as has been reported, that case is reinforced by this plea. Trump fired Comey after the FBI director would not stop investigating someone (Flynn) who was in enough legal jeopardy to later plead guilty.

Also, the obstruction case against Trump got stronger in the hours just before the Flynn announcement. The New York Times reported on Thursday night that the president has called several GOP senators and asked them to do what they can to wind down the various Russia investigations on Capitol Hill. One of the senators that Trump reached out to is North Carolina’s Richard Burr, who is leading the Senate Intelligence Committee probe. It is not necessarily illegal for Trump to call Burr and other senators and make that request, but his behavior fits with a broader pattern of moves, like Trump’s alleged conversations with Comey, that suggest Trump is trying to stall or slow down the various investigations into his campaign’s connections with Russian officials.
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/mi ... s-of-ways/

Didn't 538 also give Hillary a 97% chance of being elected?

This has all happened before. All Trump needs is for the head of the FBI to say that all Flynn talked about was his grandkids and say that no one else in the administration knew anything because it was all approved and it had been done before.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Spike13 wrote: Fox makes it sound like “Happy Holidays” is some new thing, It’s been commonly used since at least the Seventies if not earlier.
That's why when the Jehovahs Witnesses come by this time of year I wish them a Happy Saturnalia. :drool:
I invite them in for tea and a chat. Most accept.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Shatterface wrote:
Hunt wrote:

Got ya.
Seriously, tell a Pitizen not to do something?

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

TheMudbrooker wrote:
Steersman wrote: <snip>
It's like giving a monkey a machine gun, it's entertaining as hell but you know it's not gonna end well. :D
:lol:

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Lsuoma wrote:
deLurch wrote:

Postlove

Ajax Like
Sooooo...

Later...
[/quote]

As it is now the Slymepit is conflating sex with gender.

Just saying.

Also ... am I being aspie if I say that there are only two sexes, male & female but that shows up as gender in ye olde Slymepit. If you are going with gender remember that there are three options only. Male, Female, Soyboy and not the sex binary.

Asking for a friend?
(This is someone I know very well)

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

I just tried to edit my post and noticed that my edit button has erased. Is this a subtle clue about something?

(In my lived experience, subtle clues are wasted on me. Just saying)

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

TheMudbrooker wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
MacGruberKnows wrote:
Shatterface wrote:
Hunt wrote:

Got ya.
Cunts gonna cunt.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

PZ has a post up on "the king" Sanderson and how PZ a male should handle an incorrect accusation of rape.

http://archive.is/gekcR
Step back and wait. You’re done. Any further interaction will involve other people looking deeper into the matter (and you’re innocent, remember? So they’re not going to find anything inappropriate, right?) In my case, another faculty member, a woman, was delegated to hear the student’s side of the story. It fell apart immediately, she was contrite, and the situation was over.

It is possible that a determinedly vindictive woman could push it further. But again, you’re innocent — there isn’t any evidence of misbehavior, right? She doesn’t have dick pics on her phone, there aren’t witnesses to you slapping her butt, you didn’t get drunk and proposition her at a party, you aren’t on record with unwarranted punishments or promises? Right? If there are, fuck you, go away, you’re going to get what you deserved. Otherwise, if your behavior has been spotless, back off, be impersonal, get a lawyer, let it be handled by professionals.
Bwhahahahah. Two words.

1. Ben

2. Radford.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Really? wrote: Didn't 538 also give Hillary a 97% chance of being elected?
No. Their model never came close to that degree of certainty and have heavily criticized the people who did. It was roughly 70/30 at the end.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Fascist Tit,

I request that the Best Post Evah badges be scaled-down to emoji-size... they display as kinda-huge on my phone, which often requires an extra scroll-down flick, just to get from the poster's name, to the body of their post:

https://i.imgur.com/PgE08vl.png

Thanks for everything.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Brive1987 wrote: PZ has a post up on "the king" Sanderson and how PZ a male should handle an incorrect accusation of rape.

Step back and wait. You’re done. Any further interaction will involve other people looking deeper into the matter (and you’re innocent, remember? So they’re not going to find anything inappropriate, right?) In my case, another faculty member, a woman, was delegated to hear the student’s side of the story. It fell apart immediately, she was contrite, and the situation was over.

It is possible that a determinedly vindictive woman could push it further. But again, you’re innocent — there isn’t any evidence of misbehavior, right? She doesn’t have dick pics on her phone, there aren’t witnesses to you slapping her butt, you didn’t get drunk and proposition her at a party, you aren’t on record with unwarranted punishments or promises? Right? If there are, fuck you, go away, you’re going to get what you deserved. Otherwise, if your behavior has been spotless, back off, be impersonal, get a lawyer, let it be handled by professionals.
Bwhahahahah. Two words.

1. Ben

2. Radford.
And the little rat himself said his innocence was immaterial if he couldn't ZOOM faster than his accuser.

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

Brive1987 wrote: PZ has a post up on "the king" Sanderson and how PZ a male should handle an incorrect accusation of rape.

Bwhahahahah. Two words.

1. Ben

2. Radford.

- I believe the victim.

- PZ is mansplaining rape.

- PZ the privileged rapist needs to park his rapist privilege at the door, quit talking over the rape victims voice that his post has completely silenced
and listen to the rape victim. And then apologize for raping her. And leave the internet forever.

I learned all of this from PZ Myers

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

Sorry, Brive, I think I may have pushed my luck on Twitter. I'm getting strange errors when I try to reply ("account/user no longer exists" "log in and try again" and "internally invalid condition" to name a few) and suspect that my time on twitter is coming to an end. No biggie, it was mildly amusing for triggering the odd snowflake and looking at mouth-watering pics of scantily clad asian chicks (AceAsianBot, you're a god amongst men!) but other than that, twitter is dogshit.

Anyway, my reply (poorly worded as it was) simply pointed out how Myers & Co. are like Nu Puritans (making a drunken pass at a party is evidence of misbehavior) and are incredibly cringe-worthy.

It also had an awesome gif.

But fuck it.

:bjarte:

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Vid.me is closing inside of 2 weeks. YouTube to become a smidge more unassailable.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

AndrewV69 wrote: <snip>
As it is now the Slymepit is conflating sex with gender.
Yes, quite agree. Male and female are sexes - period. If they're used - ambiguously - as genders as well then they're entirely different kettles of fish. Criminal to conflate the two.
AndrewV69 wrote: Just saying.

Also ... am I being aspie if I say that there are only two sexes, male & female but that shows up as gender in ye olde Slymepit. If you are going with gender remember that there are three options only. Male, Female, Soyboy and not the sex binary.

Asking for a friend?
(This is someone I know very well)
Agree that there are only two sexes, though Facebook gives some 58 possibilities according to Slate. And if there are 56 then why not 56 trillion? I've argued for replacing the Pit drop-down-list for gender with one for sex only - had at least one vote in favour - :handgestures-thumbupright: :flags-canada: :flags-wavegreatbritain:
Slipterid wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:19 am
Steersman wrote:
<snip>

And:
Steersman wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:50 am
Bit of a "meta" comment about the new features which generally look pretty classy, although I'm a bit disappointed there isn't yet a button for the spinning dancer GIF ... But, more specifically, the ability to indicate one's "gender" in our User Profiles. Given that the term is largely incoherent twaddle, I'd suggest deprecating the use of the term, and use the more rational and traditional term, "sex". One might suggest these (limited) possibilities or variations thereof:
  • female (ladies first);
  • male;
  • none; and, the ever redoubtable,
  • No thanks (we're British)
To which one might add "intersex", and the possible inclusion of variations that utilize the adjective "nominally".
As I say, rank insanity to be multiplying pronouns and genders, literally without end: if we provide a pronoun for the "femifluids" or the "genderqueers" (gawd save us all), then why wouldn't we have to do the same for the other 56 (trillion) "genders"?

But sorry to hear about your "difficult year" - taking one day at a time helps, but sometimes they gang up on a person all at once. :-)
Yes, "rank insanity" covers it neatly. If we have 56 trillion sets of pronouns, it completely negates the whole point of having pronouns at all and definitely turns the English language into "incoherent twaddle" (thanks for that one, I treasure it). The whole point of language is to communicate clearly; SJWs use it to obfuscate as much as possible, Like a cat trying to cover poop.

I agree about the new features, we need the spinning dancer and I would definitely use "No thanks, we're British", oh yeah.

Thanks for the kind words; as you say, one day at a time. Currently feels a bit like being tied to a toboggan that's on a massive collision course, but hey.
Whoever came up with the "concept" of gender - more like a dog's breakfast than not - should be shot; hung, drawn, and quartered. Absent that possibility, its use should be deprecated and curtailed wherever and whenever possible.

free thoughtpolice

Bwhahahahah. Two words.

1. Ben

2. Radford.
1 word: zoom

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

Steersman wrote: Whoever came up with the "concept" of gender - more like a dog's breakfast than not - should be shot; hung, drawn, and quartered. Absent that possibility, its use should be deprecated and curtailed wherever and whenever possible.
Couldn't agree more.

As I've already stated (here & elsewhere), "gender" ranks up there with your favorite color, which sock you put on first and how many times you've seen Star Wars. Irrelevant bollocks of the highest order.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/ori ... 78/a54.jpg

Really?

Post by Really? »

Brive1987 wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:55 pm
PZ has a post up on "the king" Sanderson and how PZ a male should handle an incorrect accusation of rape.

Bwhahahahah. Two words.

1. Ben

2. Radford.
What a fucking asshole. How was his victim supposed to have his dick pics on her phone because they hadn't been invented yet?

And it sounds like he is saying that a 25-year-old accusation is bullshit because so much time had passed.

Really?

Post by Really? »

And PZ did the exact opposite of "sit back and wait.". He used his power to get another female student to detain his victim while he zoomed off to shape the narrative.

Fucking male feminist rapists. Every time.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Wtf. And the school did no fucking investigation.

I really think PZ raped that poor girl now. She has been carrying that memory for a quarter-century...

Guest_935516df

Post by Guest_935516df »

Ape+lust wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:25 pm
Vid.me is closing inside of 2 weeks. YouTube to become a smidge more unassailable.
Vide.me was created by the reddit crowd. Their track record on free speech was pretty bad. They probably saw their biggest users were those fleeing free speech persecution from youtube and hated them. But that was all they could attract.
-Soylent

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

Really? wrote: Didn't 538 also give Hillary a 97% chance of being elected?

This has all happened before. All Trump needs is for the head of the FBI to say that all Flynn talked about was his grandkids and say that no one else in the administration knew anything because it was all approved and it had been done before.
Nah, you are thinking about the Princeton Election Consortium. Fivethirtyeight gave Hillary a 71% chance (https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/20 ... -forecast/) and consistently noted that while the polling data made her the more likely victor, there were a high number of undecided voters which made the race unpredictable. They still didn't pick the winner, but that's hardly relevant anyway. Unless you tend to rule people out based on ad hominems.

But yes, this has happened before. The FBI have used similar tactics to investigate organized crime families (http://www.newsweek.com/mueller-trump-m ... ion-667791) and its clear that like Nixon, Trump has been frantically trying to cover his tracks for the past year, starting with the firing of Comey and his aggressive lobbying of congress to drop their investigations. I don't know that Trump is guilty of anything, but he is certainly being targeted by the investigation and he certainly looks guilty.

Finally, If you want to argue that Flynn was only talking about his grandkids with the Russians, then why don't you show some documentation instead of putting that nonsense in the mouth of some anonymous FBI agent? It strains credulity that Flynn would risk committing a felony to hide some inconsequential banter about his family.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Bhurzum wrote: Sorry, Brive, I think I may have pushed my luck on Twitter. I'm getting strange errors when I try to reply ("account/user no longer exists" "log in and try again" and "internally invalid condition" to name a few) and suspect that my time on twitter is coming to an end. No biggie, it was mildly amusing for triggering the odd snowflake and looking at mouth-watering pics of scantily clad asian chicks (AceAsianBot, you're a god amongst men!) but other than that, twitter is dogshit.

Anyway, my reply (poorly worded as it was) simply pointed out how Myers & Co. are like Nu Puritans (making a drunken pass at a party is evidence of misbehavior) and are incredibly cringe-worthy.

It also had an awesome gif.

But fuck it.

:bjarte:
I will be very disappointed if you have out-offended twitter before moi. Can you log in from another device?

Personally I enjoy the juxtaposition of @altpinup with missives from trad life folk. There is a crazy kinky venn diagram thing going on.

Keating

Post by Keating »

I strongly doubt there was any collusion with Russia. Far more likely is that it offends Trump’s ego that anyone thinks he got to where he is with outside help, and so he lashes out instinctively and stupidly at the suggestion.