In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

Old subthreads
Hunt

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

Post by Hunt »

In fact, I think the only ones who read Pharyngula comments anymore are pitters. D'oh. :doh:

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Jack Wooster wrote: She pressed one button, one button! and pretty much destroyed the TARDIS.
Matt Smith blew it up without touching a button. The longer the Doctor holds back his regeneration the more violent the transition. Which is convenient for any incoming producer who wants to completely redesign the interior of the Tardis.

I think the fact the Doctor's new companion is a 57 year old bloke is a bigger deal than a female Doctor. Do we really want to see Bradley Walsh in a miniskirt?

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Lewis Hamilton is in hot water now for "Gender Shaming" his nephew. :doh:

https://i.imgur.com/eUvNHIw.png

https://www.joe.co.uk/life/lewis-hamilt ... hew-154650

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Brive1987 wrote: Hmm. Caine has cancer.

:whistle:
Caine would do well to stay well clear of Pharyngula. It is a toxic environment, and not good your health, unless of course, you are trolling them.

Also, bullies tend to be more at risk of getting cancer. A mate down the pub told me that.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

And possibly the best kind given the picture of an ostomy flange.

https://i0.wp.com/freethoughtblogs.com/ ... 1500&ssl=1

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

I can understand people wanting internal consistency in Star Wars, but as far as I'm concerned Abrams ruined that already in The Force Awakens, and that there is no exposition that could have somehow retrieved things from the void he catapaulted it into. Even Anakin, the prophesied chosen one, didn't do anything as ridiculous for his first appearance as Rey did in TFA. Once that stage is set, saying the force created her as a counterbalance to Ben Solo's raw power (whose heritage answers all the detractor's complaints already) is perfectly satisfying. Of course, if I had my way, these problems would have been cut from the movie at the screenwriting stage.
jugheadnaut wrote:It seems destined to come in about $600 million domestically and $1.4-1.5 billion globally. Not disastrous...
I agree. One and a half billion dollars at the box office is not disastrous. Also maybe you get some sort of award for understatement of 2017. ;) Empire Strikes Back pulled 800 million in inflation adjusted gross to Star Wars' 1.2 billion (those are domestic grosses if I'm not mistaken). At the time of its release it would have been possible to say most of the same things about it destroying the Star Wars legacy. Talking to people who were actually alive back then I hear there were fans who did say exactly that. Apparently some were so pissed off about the Vader plot twist they would call in to live radio broadcasts to try to blurt out spoilers and ruin the movie for others. It's nice to see some things never change.

At this point I still say the anger will die down and the film's legacy will wind up closer to Empire than to disappointing departure from form. I predict Abrams does what he does best for the final chapter. It's going to be non-stop thrills and light on pathos. Space battles. Monster fights. Laughs. A climatic lightsaber duel where the fate of the rebellion and Kylo's soul hangs in the balance (this will be the only transcendent part of the movie). I predict it will make more money than TFA (apparently Return of the Jedi outgrossed Empire as well) as people flock to see the conclusion. As long as he drops even a little bit of his mystery box obsession and closes this down without starting up new plot threads I believe most people will be satisfied with the trilogy. Side stories might suffer, but I believe that has more to do with franchise fatigue than anything else. The main episodes are like MCU's Avenger's movies with a large chunk of the audience who watch them not being interested in seeing every installment of Ant-man.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

6 months ago, deLurch gifted me Jordan Peterson's Future Authoring program. Back then, I agreed to report-back here, now.

viewtopic.php?p=424013#p424013

Until I looked-up deLurch’s post, I couldn’t recall which specific bump in my life-- incited the gift. It was: breaking up with a girlfriend I’d been dating for half-a-year. (In addition to other, ongoing personal disarray.)

Probably the most significant change since that day-- is that I got-back together with that gf a couple weeks later, and moved-in with her. In November, DrokkIt posted, "every Service Dog story reminds me of a classic Will Eisner strip” —which has echoed in my brain ever-since, & does accurately describe our un-renovated tenement apartment, on the last half-block of Manhattan which still feels like Old New York. In my 20’s & 30’s, I lived a few blocks away. I expected it had become too expensive, to ever move back. But the lease here is rent-controlled. The decor includes ashtrays & my clutter of half-built bicycles. Nothing fancy.
https://locustmoon.files.wordpress.com/ ... _2-sk2.jpg

So I’ve ‘borrowed’ my girlfriend’s stability… a steady home, a routine of caring for her elderly parents a few blocks away/ and my aging dog. She cooks from scratch, more than one meal a day. On Sundays, she cooks in a cozy bar & I visit in the kitchen, munching bacon & meatballs. I’ve regained nearly half the 40 lbs I lost last year.

My work life still consists of sporadic gigs— but the gf’s fashion-industry connections have beefed-up the frequency. I’ve managed to save a couple-thousand bucks. Which will soon be enough to renew my passport, to FINALLY have a valid ID. And pay off that bogus $1500 fine from 20+ years ago, so I’m not at risk of being arrested.

On Christmas, my current status was underlined by receiving gifts of Lips & Tongue logo merch from someone who works directly for the Rolling Stones, and an exotic sample of weed from a crony of the Grateful Dead. Plus home-fermented miso & salt-paste, from a satellite of the japanese crime underworld. (Apparently The Dead prefer feeble weed, compared to today’s mind-blasting strains. I can’t handle pot anymore, and dislike the company of stoned-people. But this stuff didn’t bother me.)

So, basically, my girlfriend’s influence has eclipsed the Future Authoring program. I’ve got a daily veneer of comfort. But the underlying cracks haven’t been mended: my diet & exercise regime is shelved, I’m still not clear of all govt bureaucratic baggage.

I intend this as part 1 of 2 posts. This is written prior to logging-in to Future Authoring, & seeing what I actually wrote there. That’s part 2. I do know this: I spent much-longer than the advertised 5 hours on Future Authoring, mostly over 2 or 3 months. I don’t think I fully completed it. My first written exercises were long lists— dumps of fragmented, disjointed half-thoughts, frantic. Reflecting the state I was in. In contrast, this post is far more coherent.

When I revisit Future Authoring, I think I’ll have ‘distance’ from who I was, when I wrote that stuff. One reason I faded-from fully-completing Future Authoring— was a positive reason: I downloaded Evernote, & focussed on adopting the GTD (Getting Things Done) system of personal & business organization. Which is quite compatible with Jordan Peterson’s philosophy.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Shem the Penman, an insufferable Regressive Leftist cunt, now has its own Patheos blog. Referring to an exchange on another Patheos blog with another commenter (but no ID or links), goes off on how scientism is real and is bad, and how there are indeed 'other ways of knowing.'

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/driventoab ... e-science/
The whole "scientism" thing is a pile of crap. The post-modernist, religious, and the new age types want to discredit science because they hold beliefs that don't stand up to rigorous inspection standards such as those used by science. Shem the Penisman is resorting to unsophisticated sophistry, fudging on the meanings of words, and a certain amount of goal post shifting there.
His contention is that scientism is the idea that science is the only way of getting knowledge.
I'm not sure what that is supposed to mean. For instance, pretty much everyone has a way of knowing that they need to take a shit, is there anyone that they think they need to apply the scientific method?
You sometimes someone phrases things a certain way and it just opens up a whole new corner of the universe for exploration? Dawkins with evolution as a blind idiot god. Peter Singer and ambivalence as a moral monstrosity. And now Free thoughtpolice with my urge to take a shit as "men's other ways of knowing."

Really?

Post by Really? »

I am sorry to hear about Caine. I wish her all the best in spite of our many differences.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Same. Cancer sucks.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Hunt wrote:

Wishing her the best of luck. Kind of alarming how just one localized commenter seems to notice, which confirms what I suspected. Not even pharyngulites read the comments anymore!!!

Stick a fork in it already, PZ. It's dead.
Well one person noticing the cancer announcement beats the zero who offered any support to this suicide threat on the same thread:

https://i.imgur.com/jPGfgSI.png

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

jet_lagg wrote: I can understand people wanting internal consistency in Star Wars, but as far as I'm concerned Abrams ruined that already in The Force Awakens, and that there is no exposition that could have somehow retrieved things from the void he catapaulted it into. Even Anakin, the prophesied chosen one, didn't do anything as ridiculous for his first appearance as Rey did in TFA. Once that stage is set, saying the force created her as a counterbalance to Ben Solo's raw power (whose heritage answers all the detractor's complaints already) is perfectly satisfying. Of course, if I had my way, these problems would have been cut from the movie at the screenwriting stage.
Abrams did get things off on a bad foot, but other than the over-powering of Rey, it was very much OK. The one thing he did well was set up some interesting prospects for future episodes. There was a fair bit of interest in learning more about Snoke, the First Order and the Knights of Ren, salvaging the Rey situation with some back story, and a worthy followup to the heraldic re-introduction of Luke. But this was all thrown out. I'm not going to get into a nerdly back and forth over whether 'da Force did it' is a worthy explanation for Rey, but if you found it satisfying, great for you. I think you would concede, though, that this does not seem to be the case with the majority of the fanbase.
jet_lagg wrote:
jugheadnaut wrote:It seems destined to come in about $600 million domestically and $1.4-1.5 billion globally. Not disastrous...
I agree. One and a half billion dollars at the box office is not disastrous. Also maybe you get some sort of award for understatement of 2017. ;) Empire Strikes Back pulled 800 million in inflation adjusted gross to Star Wars' 1.2 billion (those are domestic grosses if I'm not mistaken). At the time of its release it would have been possible to say most of the same things about it destroying the Star Wars legacy. Talking to people who were actually alive back then I hear there were fans who did say exactly that. Apparently some were so pissed off about the Vader plot twist they would call in to live radio broadcasts to try to blurt out spoilers and ruin the movie for others. It's nice to see some things never change.
My original estimate of $1.4-1.5 billion was likely too high, seems like $1.3 billion is actually the top end now. Saying "it's not a disaster, but..." is not understatement. It will make a shit load of money for Disney, but also a shit load less than TFA, which pulled in over $2 billion globally. Disney's expectations were probably that revenues would come in closer to TFA than Rogue One, so it's probably very disappointing for them. Studios now never use decades old movies to provide baselines for expectations now. The underlying situations are too radically different. Even back in the '80s, there were far fewer entertainment options. Now you have a huge array of programming you can watch at any time, on a large high def display, with audio that can rival what you get in the theater, and super high quality video games. On the other hand, today studios have far more sophisticated marketing machines and higher revenue channels available (I saw it in a VIP theater, where I paid $25 per seat). The points of comparison for Disney were Rogue One, which likely provided the floor of box office possibilities, and other 'blockbuster' type movies like Avengers and Jurassic World. Before this, Disney likely saw a main series Star Wars release as a super-elite blockbuster, but it looks like it will perform about on the level of other franchise marquee releases, so this will likely alter their future forecasts. But I think they're more concerned about the fan reaction than the fact they won't make as much money as expected.

I was not only alive for ESB, but right in the ideal age group for that movie. There was a smattering of negative reviews at the time, entirely from family oriented critics who thought it was too dark, and I don't doubt there were a few super-fans sperging out on the Vader reveal because it screwed up with their own interpretation of the character. But I can assure you that the response to the movie among adolescents at the time was nothing short of rapturous.
jet_lagg wrote: At this point I still say the anger will die down and the film's legacy will wind up closer to Empire than to disappointing departure from form. I predict Abrams does what he does best for the final chapter. It's going to be non-stop thrills and light on pathos. Space battles. Monster fights. Laughs. A climatic lightsaber duel where the fate of the rebellion and Kylo's soul hangs in the balance (this will be the only transcendent part of the movie). I predict it will make more money than TFA (apparently Return of the Jedi outgrossed Empire as well) as people flock to see the conclusion. As long as he drops even a little bit of his mystery box obsession and closes this down without starting up new plot threads I believe most people will be satisfied with the trilogy. Side stories might suffer, but I believe that has more to do with franchise fatigue than anything else. The main episodes are like MCU's Avenger's movies with a large chunk of the audience who watch them not being interested in seeing every installment of Ant-man.
The anger will die down, but will leave something worse as far as Disney is concerned. Apathy. I am very confident TLJ will never be regarded as a decent, never mind good, movie by fans, and think it's likely critics as a group will downgrade their opinion over time, like they did for TPM and AOTC , which originally received mixed to positive reviews. It's certainly possible Disney can pull a rabbit out of the hat and the final installment will be great and redeem the trilogy to some extent, but given who's at the helm and how the table has been set, this is extremely unlikely. Using ROTJ as a point of comparison is just plain silly. It was a capstone to a trilogy with expectations in the stratosphere because the original was such a cultural milestone and the sequel an improvement in quality in every way. It was also going to be the last Star Wars movie as far as the eye could see. But this time, there will be another Star Wars movie the very next year, and a new trilogy starting the year after that (unless Disney decides to pull things for re-tooling, which is a distinct possibility). If will not outgross TFA, which at least had pent up demand going for it. I would take bets at 50:1 that this will not happen.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

JJ Abrams is good at setting things up but terrible at delivering, especially because he doesn't seem to plan ahead and gets easily bored with a project, leaving it to someone else to complete. Evidence: Alias, Lost, the new Star Trek movies.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Abrams didn't leave Star Trek because he was bored. He left because he was offered Star Wars. Who the hell turns down Star Wars?

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

There seems to be a fuck of a lot of projection about the new Star Wars. I haven't heard negative opinions on the movie from anyone I give a shit about, still less 'anger'.

Anyone 'angry' about a movie needs to sort their fucking priorities out.

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

Shatterface wrote: There seems to be a fuck of a lot of projection about the new Star Wars. I haven't heard negative opinions on the movie from anyone I give a shit about, still less 'anger'.

The projection is entirely on your side. You haven't personally heard anything so you assume others who are angry about it are projecting their anger as a mass movement. You want to see anger? Check out the YouTube channel reviews of this movie. You'll find it without effort.

Personally, I'm not angry, mostly disappointed. This is already dissolving into apathy. But I can definitely understand how disappointment becomes anger for an actual Star Wars fan, which I am not.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

screwtape wrote:

And possibly the best kind given the picture of an ostomy flange.

https://i0.wp.com/freethoughtblogs.com/ ... 1500&ssl=1
To be fair, Caine announced on Dec 22 using her blog. Didn’t get a PZ shout-out and so had to slink onto his Xmas post to fire pity flares at him. And these seemingly fizzled in the sea: Peez is too busy chasing Mary in the darkened house trying to get his slippers back. Or maybe he just doesn’t give a shit.

http://archive.is/XL3cD
There’s a lot of stigma attached to having an ostomy of any type, people find them disgusting for a number of reasons (open wound, shit in a bag, etc.) which can make it difficult for a person who has one to come out of the ostomy closet.
Hopefully, mine will be a temporary one, but even if it is, putting it all back together will be the very last step in my treatment, which is: 1) radiation therapy 2) surgery to remove tumour 3) chemo 4) surgery to put me back together. I don’t start radiation until the third week of January. That should be enough time for all the swelling to go down. Right now, my stoma (colon end) is still sticking out about 2 inches.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

I guess I’m going to have to see the new Star Wars.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

jugheadnaut wrote:
Shatterface wrote: There seems to be a fuck of a lot of projection about the new Star Wars. I haven't heard negative opinions on the movie from anyone I give a shit about, still less 'anger'.

The projection is entirely on your side. You haven't personally heard anything so you assume others who are angry about it are projecting their anger as a mass movement. You want to see anger? Check out the YouTube channel reviews of this movie. You'll find it without effort.

Personally, I'm not angry, mostly disappointed. This is already dissolving into apathy. But I can definitely understand how disappointment becomes anger for an actual Star Wars fan, which I am not.
jugheadnaut wrote:

Your evidence of anger is from YouTube.

Think about that.

Now go looking for something that doesn't provoke an apoplectic fit from someone on YouTube.
You can understand this non-existent anger coming from fans of something that you are not a fan of.

It's not hard to find a negative review of something on YouTube. It's not evidence of anything other than the massive sense of entitlement social media gives voice to.

Even professional critics can be wrong: I remember John Brosnan giving The Emoire Strikes Back a very shitty review in Starburst.

But I'm not seeing any sense that there's a consensus developing against this movie anymore than there was against Empire. What I am seeing is 'I don't like it and therefore nobody else does either'.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Following Gab’s post comments is confusing me. Was it so hard to just copy the Twitter approach and apply KISS to improve it further?

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

jugheadnaut wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:50 am
But this was all thrown out. I'm not going to get into a nerdly back and forth over whether 'da Force did it' is a worthy explanation for Rey, but if you found it satisfying, great for you. I think you would concede, though, that this does not seem to be the case with the majority of the fanbase.
"Da force did it" is literally the explanation for how Luke destroys the death star, but yes hereditary control of power versus where this movie went is a matter of preference. Whether or not the majority of the fanbase leans one way or the other can be settled though. If we define fanbase as active reddit users I'm willing to concede it might be as high as 70/30 in your direction. That's at the far end and getting there requires I accept a sort of weird nerd hipsterdom where you have to know who Xizor is before your opinion counts though.
jugheadnaut wrote:
My original estimate of $1.4-1.5 billion was likely too high, seems like $1.3 billion is actually the top end now. Saying "it's not a disaster, but..." is not understatement.
I disagree, and I'd disagree even if you kept dialing your estimate down by a hundred million at a time. This is like a more tortured version of the argument you saw made against DCEU fans to prove BvS was a disappointment even though it pulled nearly 900 million worldwide. The case was more convincing there because you had previously unknown properties from Marvel clearing a billion in solo outings and DC's three biggest icons combined failing to hit that mark (to say nothing of the critical drubbing and lukewarm audience ratings, it only achieved a B on Cinemascore). But in this case to follow the same logic you're reduced to saying "yeah, I know it had the second highest opening weekend of all time and I know it's going to clear a billion, and I know Empire Strikes Back so a huge dip as well, but still it's only on pace to be the 8th highest grossing film of all time and The Force Awakens was the 3rd highest, so the nicest thing I can say about these results is that they aren't disastrous"
jugheadnaut wrote:But I can assure you that the response to the movie among adolescents at the time was nothing short of rapturous.
I'm not saying that wasn't your experience obviously, but I am saying I've heard different from plenty of people who also lived through the time. Also, if I didn't have the internet I'd being operating on the assumption the fan response to this movie was nothing short of rapturous as well. This really is coming from redditors and single use RT accounts.
jugheadnaut wrote: The anger will die down, but will leave something worse as far as Disney is concerned. Apathy. I am very confident TLJ will never be regarded as a decent, never mind good, movie by fans, and think it's likely critics as a group will downgrade their opinion over time, like they did for TPM and AOTC , which originally received mixed to positive reviews.
You live in a different world from me. The Phantom Menace was considered a huge disappointment by everyone from day one, critics included. The only thing RLM did was renew interest bashing the movies and provide an analysis of what went wrong that was longer than the actual films they critiqued. They were not thought leaders bringing about a change in the consensus. To repeat what I said earlier, fans (depending on the definition) already consider this a good movie. If it weren't for the internet, I'd know of only a single person who was angry about it.
It was also going to be the last Star Wars movie as far as the eye could see. But this time, there will be another Star Wars movie the very next year, and a new trilogy starting the year after that (unless Disney decides to pull things for re-tooling, which is a distinct possibility). If will not outgross TFA, which at least had pent up demand going for it. I would take bets at 50:1 that this will not happen.
Lucas has been ranting about endless films since time immemorial. I've read the interviews. This will be the end of saga and any new ones have been explicitly announced as unattached to the prequels, the OT, or these latest films. The comparison to ROTJ is apt, though I will agree with you the endless spinoffs are degrading enthusiasm. I don't need to see Caravan of Courage on the big screen. I may or may not watch the Han Solo film in theaters, and I was meh on Rogue One from the day it was announced.

I'm with you on thinking about a wager, since you mentioned apathy and that can at least in theory be quantified (sort of anyway, I can tell a just so story that TLJ's dip in box office is due to audience apathy created by TFA). 50:1 that it won't outgross TFA is crazy though. Of course it won't. I'd have made the equivalent bet for ROTJ back in the day. I'll bet the new episode hits TLJ box office or higher. I wouldn't mind making a bet on the RT score changing over time either, but we'd have to wait a lot longer to settle that one.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

I know this isn't the Trump Dump but...

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

feathers

Post by feathers »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:40 pm
I was just assuming it was. He doesn't do many vids because he isn't about drama or subscribers.
Also, Potholer has a job and probably a life.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

I hope she finds a good medicine man person.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

It is also forbidden for a christian (well Mormon) woman to support the world-wide Catholic proscription on female priests.
The regressive left is locking down all alt-thought.

katamari Damassi

Shatterface wrote:
jugheadnaut wrote:

jugheadnaut wrote:

Your evidence of anger is from YouTube.

Think about that.

Now go looking for something that doesn't provoke an apoplectic fit from someone on YouTube.
You can understand this non-existent anger coming from fans of something that you are not a fan of.

It's not hard to find a negative review of something on YouTube. It's not evidence of anything other than the massive sense of entitlement social media gives voice to.

Even professional critics can be wrong: I remember John Brosnan giving The Emoire Strikes Back a very shitty review in Starburst.

But I'm not seeing any sense that there's a consensus developing against this movie anymore than there was against Empire. What I am seeing is 'I don't like it and therefore nobody else does either'.
Even if you're not emotionally invested in Star Wars, even if you don't see this as SJWs ruining yet another thing, it's just not a good movie. It's long. It's slow. The humor doesn't work. It's riddled with plot holes and actions that make no sense, inconsistent characterizations, and(if you saw TFA)loose threads that are just left dangling. It's a bad movie, and I'm at a loss to explain why critics like it.

katamari Damassi

So did Caine request a non white male doctor? Or do you think she alternates between spitting venom at the staff, and curling up in a fetal position in terror on the floor? Given her blogging persona I'd say it has to be one of the two choices above.

free thoughtpolice

Matt Cavanaugh! You need to rescue Indy before it is too late!Becky is going to put him on a vegan diet.
http://skepchick.org/2017/12/can-dogs-go-vegan/
And personally I’m glad it came up because I did so much research that now I’m considering a vegan or vegetarian diet for my own dog. Unless it causes bad farts. I’m all about helping the environment but not at the expense of smelling dog farts all day.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

There is something that I feel I need to confess, something that may shame me on this platform, something that could possibly turn me into a pit pariah but it is something I cannot suppress any longer and just have to get off my chest. This revelation may trigger some of you so please be warned.

I fucking hate star wars, always have. I hate it even more than I hate Harry fucking Potter. There, I've said it. :shifty:

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

poor caine. i hope she has a support network to count on because it is hard to go alone

Guest_d2e60302

Post by Guest_d2e60302 »

I'm guessing Lindy West.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Now she has the white-man’s proposed schedule, will Caine eschew chemo and related horror in favour of tried and tested methods?

https://www.oilsandplants.com/pics/nativeamerican.jpg

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

shoutinghorse wrote: There is something that I feel I need to confess, something that may shame me on this platform, something that could possibly turn me into a pit pariah but it is something I cannot suppress any longer and just have to get off my chest. This revelation may trigger some of you so please be warned.

I fucking hate star wars, always have. I hate it even more than I hate Harry fucking Potter. There, I've said it. :shifty:
I'm indifferent to Star Wars, but I fucking hate Back to the Future and just about every American teen comedy/drama ever made including Breakfast Club and Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Hunt wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:43 am
Wishing her the best of luck. Kind of alarming how just one localized commenter seems to notice, which confirms what I suspected. Not even pharyngulites read the comments anymore!!!

Stick a fork in it already, PZ. It's dead.
She'd announced it days ago at her own blog, which probably shares most readers with Pharyngula.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Don't you stick a fork into something to see if it's cooked?

Sticking a fork into something to see if it's dead sounds unhygienic.

free thoughtpolice

Really?

Post by Really? »

Guest_d2e60302 wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:10 pm
I'm guessing Lindy West.
Don't you mean Lindy's husband?
http://apracticalwedding.com/wp-content ... 80x520.jpg

John D

Post by John D »

free thoughtpolice wrote: Matt Cavanaugh! You need to rescue Indy before it is too late!Becky is going to put him on a vegan diet.
And personally I’m glad it came up because I did so much research that now I’m considering a vegan or vegetarian diet for my own dog. Unless it causes bad farts. I’m all about helping the environment but not at the expense of smelling dog farts all day.
Fuck.... the problem with a vegan diet for a dog is not farts.... you dumb fucking cunt. Jesus.... really.... I want to slap the fucking shit out of this cunt!

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

shoutinghorse wrote: There is something that I feel I need to confess, something that may shame me on this platform, something that could possibly turn me into a pit pariah but it is something I cannot suppress any longer and just have to get off my chest. This revelation may trigger some of you so please be warned.

I hear you bro. I loved the first one, because I was dating a girl called Christine McInnes who let me get my first fingers and tops with her during a showing, but that's the only good thing about any of 'em...

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Shatterface wrote: Don't you stick a fork into something to see if it's cooked?

Sticking a fork into something to see if it's dead sounds unhygienic.
You stick a fork in Jesus to see if he's dead. You stick a fork in babies to see if they're done.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:41 pm
Matt Cavanaugh! You need to rescue Indy before it is too late!Becky is going to put him on a vegan diet.
Indy can come up here and eat horseshit like my dogs do -- that've vegan, amirite?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Well 'Boxing Day' nearly took on a different connotation over breakfast, when my sister insisted that an all-female remake of Lord of the Flies would depict an idyllic utopia. Her death-ray scowls gave notice that this was not up for discussion.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

shoutinghorse wrote: I fucking hate star wars, always have. I hate it even more than I hate Harry fucking Potter. There, I've said it. :shifty:
The first three were kind of cool, but that's only because I thought PG-13 was kind of cool. Now, IMO, the only thing that could make Star Wars palatable would be an R rating. I used to think TOS Star Trek was cool, but really, when you realize it's just a bunch of actors in prosthetics taking themselves seriously, how seriously can you take it? How seriously can you take a movie targeted at pre-teens? Contrast that to something like Alien, which at least has somewhat believable ships and aliens. There is no real comparison. The Alien future "could" conceivably be a possible world future. Star Trek and Star Wars could never be or have been. Star Trek and Star Wars is the Alien franchise for retards.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Really? wrote:
Guest_d2e60302 wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:10 pm
I'm guessing Lindy West.
Don't you mean Lindy's husband?
http://apracticalwedding.com/wp-content ... 80x520.jpg
The Liza Minelli of our Age.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

As long as we are confessing I am also indifferent to the Star Wars series...

On the plus side they did inspire 'The Battle Beyond the Stars' (which had a much better, if strangely familiar plot) and 'Star Crash', probably they also got 'Flash Gordon' (and also 'Flesh Gordon') off the ground. But they are so over referenced that they soon become tiresome. (Someone should shoot Kevin Smith).

If George Lucas had failed to create Star Wars - SF films could have gone in an entirely different direction based on things like 'Silent Running' , 'Dark Star' etc. Though we still managed to get 'Alien', 'Terminator' 'Lifeforce' and 'Repo Man' I suppose.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Silly! I thought you were gonna say you consider On The Historicity of Jesus the most brilliant book ever written.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Hunt wrote:
shoutinghorse wrote: I fucking hate star wars, always have. I hate it even more than I hate Harry fucking Potter. There, I've said it. :shifty:
The first three were kind of cool, but that's only because I thought PG-13 was kind of cool. Now, IMO, the only thing that could make Star Wars palatable would be an R rating. I used to think TOS Star Trek was cool, but really, when you realize it's just a bunch of actors in prosthetics taking themselves seriously, how seriously can you take it? How seriously can you take a movie targeted at pre-teens? Contrast that to something like Alien, which at least has somewhat believable ships and aliens. There is no real comparison. The Alien future "could" conceivably be a possible world future. Star Trek and Star Wars could never be or have been. Star Trek and Star Wars is the Alien franchise for retards.
The xenobiology seems unlikely to say the least. (For Alien that is).

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

First of all, let’s get this out of the way off the bat
'First of all' and 'off the bat' are redundant. One might expect better from a Bachelor's in Communications from one of the Northeast's most mediocre universities.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

MarcusAu wrote: As long as we are confessing I am also indifferent to the Star Wars series...

On the plus side they did inspire 'The Battle Beyond the Stars' (which had a much better, if strangely familiar plot) and 'Star Crash', probably they also got 'Flash Gordon' (and also 'Flesh Gordon') off the ground. But they are so over referenced that they soon become tiresome. (Someone should shoot Kevin Smith).

If George Lucas had failed to create Star Wars - SF films could have gone in an entirely different direction based on things like 'Silent Running' , 'Dark Star' etc. Though we still managed to get 'Alien', 'Terminator' 'Lifeforce' and 'Repo Man' I suppose.
Silent Running is the very definition of tree hugging hippie crap.

There are no trees on Earth and it is precisely the same temperature no matter what the latitude? How does that work?

And the Evil Corporations that run the world aren't content with just dumping the flying greenhouses.

No, they have to nuke them just to be sure.

free thoughtpolice

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:41 pm
Indy can come up here and eat horseshit like my dogs do -- that've vegan, amirite?
So basically, she can feed her dog the same she feeds her patrons?

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Hunt wrote:
Sure, coz a grown up would really have gone back for the cat.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Also: Lifeforce. How exactly does a geostationary orbit above London work?

dog puke

Post by dog puke »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Yeah, he sure is.

TheMudbrooker

Post by TheMudbrooker »

Shatterface wrote: Also: Lifeforce. How exactly does a geostationary orbit above London work?
http://www.feoamante.com/Movies/Vampire ... ldaMay.jpg

Does it really matter?

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

free thoughtpolice wrote: free thoughtpolice wrote: ↑
Fuck.... the problem with a vegan diet for a dog is not farts.... you dumb fucking cunt. Jesus.... really.... I want to slap the fucking shit out of this cunt!
Wouldn't it be less cruel just to put the damn dog down?

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

TheMudbrooker wrote:
Shatterface wrote: Also: Lifeforce. How exactly does a geostationary orbit above London work?
http://www.feoamante.com/Movies/Vampire ... ldaMay.jpg

Does it really matter?
Well, it really is just a bit of nudity that makes this an 'adult' film.

The director's cut is better than the theatrical cut but it's a fifties Quatermass movie with a giant space unbrella and some T&A.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Who's she kidding? .. She ain't no vegan bruv. :liar:

https://i.imgur.com/VejRzZL.png

https://i.imgur.com/w2Shaem.png

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

dog puke wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Yeah, he sure is.
Tim Burton is slumming it as a wedding planner.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

MarcusAu wrote:
The xenobiology seems unlikely to say the least. (For Alien that is).
We already have earth biology way weirder than xenomorphs. Exoskeletons are exactly what I would picture a space creature to have to survive vacuum. I have no problem with acid blood. Again, there are way stranger things here on earth. Main problems I have with Alien biology is how a creature that large could be gestating inside a human with no apparent signs. Also how fast they grow without aparent food source. I alway thought that was kind of fake.