In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

Old subthreads
Matt Cavanaugh

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Shatterface wrote: Also: Lifeforce. How exactly does a geostationary orbit above London work?
Who cares?
lifeforce.jpg
(37.22 KiB) Downloaded 132 times

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Shatterface wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote: free thoughtpolice wrote: ↑
Matt Cavanaugh! You need to rescue Indy before it is too late!Becky is going to put him on a vegan diet.
http://skepchick.org/2017/12/can-dogs-go-vegan/
And personally I’m glad it came up because I did so much research that now I’m considering a vegan or vegetarian diet for my own dog. Unless it causes bad farts. I’m all about helping the environment but not at the expense of smelling dog farts all day.
Fuck.... the problem with a vegan diet for a dog is not farts.... you dumb fucking cunt. Jesus.... really.... I want to slap the fucking shit out of this cunt!
Wouldn't it be less cruel just to put the damn dog down?
Guys, she's just trolling you.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Burzho, what do think of the Army's now-dropped plan to make it more egalitarian and exclusionary, especially the aspirational "Be the Best!" slogan?

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Shatterface wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:39 pm
MarcusAu wrote: As long as we are confessing I am also indifferent to the Star Wars series...

On the plus side they did inspire 'The Battle Beyond the Stars' (which had a much better, if strangely familiar plot) and 'Star Crash', probably they also got 'Flash Gordon' (and also 'Flesh Gordon') off the ground. But they are so over referenced that they soon become tiresome. (Someone should shoot Kevin Smith).

If George Lucas had failed to create Star Wars - SF films could have gone in an entirely different direction based on things like 'Silent Running' , 'Dark Star' etc. Though we still managed to get 'Alien', 'Terminator' 'Lifeforce' and 'Repo Man' I suppose.
Silent Running is the very definition of tree hugging hippie crap.

There are no trees on Earth and it is precisely the same temperature no matter what the latitude? How does that work?

And the Evil Corporations that run the world aren't content with just dumping the flying greenhouses.

No, they have to nuke them just to be sure.
You also have to sit through some terrible Joan Baez songs, but the climax of the movie is worth it.
► Show Spoiler

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Hunt wrote:
MarcusAu wrote:
The xenobiology seems unlikely to say the least. (For Alien that is).
We already have earth biology way weirder than xenomorphs. Exoskeletons are exactly what I would picture a space creature to have to survive vacuum. I have no problem with acid blood. Again, there are way stranger things here on earth. Main problems I have with Alien biology is how a creature that large could be gestating inside a human with no apparent signs. Also how fast they grow without aparent food source. I alway thought that was kind of fake.
How does acid blood work? How does it supply oxygen to the organs? Did it evolve in space? If so, what were it's original hosts? If it evolved on a planet how did it get into space? (Ignore the sequels and prequels, the movie was supposed to stand alone).

I love Alien but it makes no sense. The 'realism' is skin deep. It's naturalism, not realism. The Nostromo travels faster than light just like the Enterprise, the entire ship has artificial gravity but no light on its lower decks, it's leaking space water all over the place like the submarines it is obviously modelled on, and the Company is just Evil for the sake of it. Why didn't they just send a team of experts to investigate the signal? Why risk billions of tonnes of cargo? Why are they even transporting hydrocarbons across interstellar distances when we have planets full of the stuff in our own solar system?

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

Star Wars is the greatest tale ever told and I'll strip to the waist and wrestle any cunt* who disagrees!

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/es. ... 0811152740

(Today, just for shits 'n' giggles, I sexually identify as Darth Malgus!)

* only applies to scantily clad Twi'lek slave-girls - blue, green, red, it's all good!

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Oh, and exoskeletons limit the size of animals because they don't grow. That's why we don't have giant insects. Animals like crabs grow larger by shedding their skeletons and growing new ones but we don't see discarded xenomorph shell, just skin. If it shed its shell it wouldn't be able to move for much the same reason we couldn't if we had no bones.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Lsuoma wrote: Burzho, what do think of the Army's now-dropped plan to make it more egalitarian and exclusionary, especially the aspirational "Be the Best!" slogan?
Marketing fail.

KAPE (Keep the Army in the public eye - our recruiting/advertising drive) has many failures to its name, this is simply another.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Nice to have a hobby.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Bhurzum wrote:
Lsuoma wrote: Burzho, what do think of the Army's now-dropped plan to make it more egalitarian and exclusionary, especially the aspirational "Be the Best!" slogan?
Marketing fail.

KAPE (Keep the Army in the public eye - our recruiting/advertising drive) has many failures to its name, this is simply another.
Best recruiting advert ever - from the early 1980s. Got me involved.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

VickyCaramel wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:39 pm
I'm indifferent to Star Wars, but I fucking hate Back to the Future and just about every American teen comedy/drama ever made including Breakfast Club and Ferris Bueller's Day Off.
I enjoyed Star Wars, but it was not a significant part of my life. It was just another movie from a time before I would be able to recognize that Princess Lea was supposed to be attractive.

As to all of the other teen American movie comedy/dramas. Well they are designed for an unsophisticated pallet. They tend to use trite over used tropes. But for the age group they are targeting, these are new edgy ideas. Everyone has to have a first time for exposure to them, so it is just fun.

Now with age, all of the recent teen movies I have bothered to sample, even the fan favorites, are trite, predictable and cringey. But at least I know why.

The cycle begins again. Let the teens & preteens have their fun.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Yeah. This is a nice proactive response. Lets barricade the CBD shopping precinct using semi trailers instead of mealie tins and sacks like at Rorkes Drift.

Who knows. Maybe there are more muslims (experiencing mental conditions) rolling about.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/semitrailers- ... 0a93v.html

mordacious1

Post by mordacious1 »

I see the Royal Baby Factory is pregnant again. Can someone please tell Kate that it’s a vagina and not a clown car?

mordacious1

Post by mordacious1 »

I see the Royal Baby Factory is pregnant again. Can someone please tell Kate that it’s a vagina and not a clown car?

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Brive1987 wrote: Nice to have a hobby.

And here I thought all of those teenage boys were just being immature. THEY WERE MAKING AN ARTISTIC STATEMENT!!!

:cdc: :cdc: :cdc:

mordacious1

Post by mordacious1 »

Damn double post. My fault though.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Is she trying to get out of that clitoris?

Mmmm mmm mmm mmm mmm mm.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

mordacious1 wrote: I see the Royal Baby Factory is pregnant again. Can someone please tell Kate that it’s a vagina and not a clown car?
The Duggar family needed that message a decade ago.

Although a picture in the first volume of Kotkin's new biography of Stalin really brings home the fact that Ol' Vicky used to pump out units like carp producing milt...

mordacious1

Post by mordacious1 »

Yeah, Victoria didn’t quite make it to an even dozen, but that was prior to effective birth control. Kate can’t use that excuse.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:07 pm
Well 'Boxing Day' nearly took on a different connotation over breakfast, when my sister insisted that an all-female remake of Lord of the Flies would depict an idyllic utopia. Her death-ray scowls gave notice that this was not up for discussion.
My daughter had the lead role in an all female Lord of the Flies this year.... then she shared the lead role, then there was a fight, and then she withdrew just for a quieter life and became stage manager... but the bitching and backstabbing carried on. Then the rest of the cast got in on the argument. Not that it was the only argument going on. The drama teacher took sick leave.

To cut a long story short, what was going on backstage made what was going on in the play loot pretty tame.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Yet when a Navy pilot draws a dick in the sky he's considered unprofessional.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

Bhurzum wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:40 pm
Star Wars is the greatest tale ever told and I'll strip to the waist and wrestle any cunt* who disagrees!

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/es. ... 0811152740

(Today, just for shits 'n' giggles, I sexually identify as Darth Malgus!)

* only applies to scantily clad Twi'lek slave-girls - blue, green, red, it's all good!
awQ6AqQ_460s.jpg
(34.22 KiB) Downloaded 107 times
a9A9pYj_460s.jpg
(47.07 KiB) Downloaded 121 times

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

deLurch wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:25 pm
VickyCaramel wrote:
I'm indifferent to Star Wars, but I fucking hate Back to the Future and just about every American teen comedy/drama ever made including Breakfast Club and Ferris Bueller's Day Off.
I enjoyed Star Wars, but it was not a significant part of my life. It was just another movie from a time before I would be able to recognize that Princess Lea was supposed to be attractive.

As to all of the other teen American movie comedy/dramas. Well they are designed for an unsophisticated pallet. They tend to use trite over used tropes. But for the age group they are targeting, these are new edgy ideas. Everyone has to have a first time for exposure to them, so it is just fun.

Now with age, all of the recent teen movies I have bothered to sample, even the fan favorites, are trite, predictable and cringey. But at least I know why.

I think maybe I was old before my time. When I watch a horror movie with a bunch of teens being picked off one by one, I tend to identify with the serial killer.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Fucking hell. We're surrounded by unbelievers. Jugheadnaut, I propose we put aside our differences to form unified front against this heresy.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Bhurzum wrote:
Marketing fail.

How about 'Remember the Army Protects Everyone'?

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

TheMudbrooker wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:59 pm
Shatterface wrote: Also: Lifeforce. How exactly does a geostationary orbit above London work?
http://www.feoamante.com/Movies/Vampire ... ldaMay.jpg

Does it really matter?
I want the hearts back.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

VickyCaramel wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:07 pm
Well 'Boxing Day' nearly took on a different connotation over breakfast, when my sister insisted that an all-female remake of Lord of the Flies would depict an idyllic utopia. Her death-ray scowls gave notice that this was not up for discussion.
My daughter had the lead role in an all female Lord of the Flies this year.... then she shared the lead role, then there was a fight, and then she withdrew just for a quieter life and became stage manager... but the bitching and backstabbing carried on. Then the rest of the cast got in on the argument. Not that it was the only argument going on. The drama teacher took sick leave.

To cut a long story short, what was going on backstage made what was going on in the play loot pretty tame.
Before the Cone of Silence descended, I tried to remind my sister of how she'd come home from junior high in tears because of the viciousness within her circle of friends, and how our parents along with some others had to confront the parents of the lead sadistic ringleader and essentially issue a citizens' restraining order.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

mordacious1 wrote: Yeah, Victoria didn’t quite make it to an even dozen, but that was prior to effective birth control. Kate can’t use that excuse.
It’s all about putting more daylight between the succession and Harry’s future sprog

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

VickyCaramel wrote:
deLurch wrote:
VickyCaramel wrote:

I think maybe I was old before my time. When I watch a horror movie with a bunch of teens being picked off one by one, I tend to identify with the serial killer.
Doesn't everyone?

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Bhurzum wrote:
Marketing fail.

How about 'Remember the Army Protects Everyone'?
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/fac ... CDKcMu.jpg

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Shatterface wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:34 pm
Hunt wrote:
MarcusAu wrote:
The xenobiology seems unlikely to say the least. (For Alien that is).
We already have earth biology way weirder than xenomorphs. Exoskeletons are exactly what I would picture a space creature to have to survive vacuum. I have no problem with acid blood. Again, there are way stranger things here on earth. Main problems I have with Alien biology is how a creature that large could be gestating inside a human with no apparent signs. Also how fast they grow without aparent food source. I alway thought that was kind of fake.
How does acid blood work? How does it supply oxygen to the organs? Did it evolve in space? If so, what were it's original hosts? If it evolved on a planet how did it get into space? (Ignore the sequels and prequels, the movie was supposed to stand alone).
I think it only can stand on its own, since the others introduce all sorts of interesting, but less believable, things like genetic engineering, the ability of xenomorphs to merge genetically with their hosts, etc. The last one would be quite a trick, realistically speaking. How could a life form be genetically compatible with alien life?

In the original Alien, I assumed the creature was a garden variety monster that began in the egg, deposited itself in the digestive system of another organic creature using the face-hugger, grew parasitically off the host's digestive debris (which is why Kane was so hungry) exploded out of the body cavity (taking a few bites along the way), and then somehow grew to hulking proportion (?) before it had eaten a single person. Maybe it found its way into the ship's stores, I don't know. I think that gives viewers pause, but by that point in the movie, you too fucking terrified to care.

Acid blood never gave me much of a problem, since the acidity of a fluid might not hinder its other biochemical properties, and we already know from our own biology that acid systems can be contained within organ systems (our digestive system) while it would be damaging to others.

"Space creature" never bothered me either, since we have no way of knowing how long this thing had been at it, perhaps for millions of years. It may have evolved as a particularly nasty planetary monster only to be taken aboard an alien spacecraft millions of years ago, to their detriment. It gradually evolves a better tolerance to space, since this is adaptive; then, once it's eaten its way through unlucky ETs, lies dormant in wrecked ships or colonies. The original movie gave the impression that they had been at their diabolical game for a very long time. All of this would only be possible if interstellar space were actually a vast ecosystem of ETs able to support a parasitic pathogen, but this is just another--perhaps not so believable--thing that subliminally makes the original so great.

piginthecity

Post by piginthecity »

Shatterface wrote: Oh, and exoskeletons limit the size of animals because they don't grow. That's why we don't have giant insects. Animals like crabs grow larger by shedding their skeletons and growing new ones but we don't see discarded xenomorph shell, just skin. If it shed its shell it wouldn't be able to move for much the same reason we couldn't if we had no bones.
Insects can grow by shedding. What limits their size is no lungs, respiration through spiracles. That’s why there were those big ones in the Carboniferous.

Keating

Post by Keating »

mordacious1 wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:43 pm
Can you really blame William for hitting that as often as he can?

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

piginthecity wrote:
Shatterface wrote: Oh, and exoskeletons limit the size of animals because they don't grow. That's why we don't have giant insects. Animals like crabs grow larger by shedding their skeletons and growing new ones but we don't see discarded xenomorph shell, just skin. If it shed its shell it wouldn't be able to move for much the same reason we couldn't if we had no bones.
Insects can grow by shedding. What limits their size is no lungs, respiration through spiracles. That’s why there were those big ones in the Carboniferous.
In terms of xenomorphs, we can just posit that the exoskeleton is not just dead tissue, like chitinous shells. Maybe it's just hard, living tissue of some weird organic/inorganic composition that is able to remodel itself. It doesn't seem like a very serious objection when you're considering the bizarre range of possible exobiology.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Keating wrote:
mordacious1 wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:43 pm
Can you really blame William for hitting that as often as he can?
William, have you stopped hitting your wife?

No.

Oglebart

Post by Oglebart »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:04 pm
free thoughtpolice wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:41 pm
Matt Cavanaugh! You need to rescue Indy before it is too late!Becky is going to put him on a vegan diet.
http://skepchick.org/2017/12/can-dogs-go-vegan/
And personally I’m glad it came up because I did so much research that now I’m considering a vegan or vegetarian diet for my own dog. Unless it causes bad farts. I’m all about helping the environment but not at the expense of smelling dog farts all day.
Indy can come up here and eat horseshit like my dogs do -- that've vegan, amirite?
Yeah, my dog does that too. He takes big bites whilst evading me trying to put his lead on!

But a vegan diet for dogs? I've heard of this before but not looked into it. Is it as ridiculous as sounds?

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Oglebart wrote: But a vegan diet for dogs? I've heard of this before but not looked into it. Is it as ridiculous as sounds?
Didn't Vegan Gains (YT shit-gibbon, seriously fucked-in-the-head) kill his dog by forcing it to eat nothing but veg? Could be wrong but I vaguely recall drama about it.

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

Clitoris, you say? Sorry I wouldn't know where to find any of these and even if I did discover one by accident I probably would think it was a swastika or something.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Lying asshole is lying.

https://imgur.com/TIn2jkw.png

https://imgur.com/TvygYRO.png

She's always lied about being meatless, posting carnivore plate selfies between declarations of vegetarianism. And now she's going to torture her dog, only so she can lord her unbending skepticism over us poseurs :(

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Keepin' it real :lol:

"I am not your fan. I am a pervert. You don't have a talent, I have a problem. If you weren't naked, I wouldn't even be following you."

feathers

Post by feathers »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:13 pm
http://apracticalwedding.com/wp-content ... 80x520.jpg
The Liza Minelli of our Age.
Liza Maxelli?

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Ape+lust wrote: Lying asshole is lying.

https://imgur.com/TIn2jkw.png

https://imgur.com/TvygYRO.png

She's always lied about being meatless, posting carnivore plate selfies between declarations of vegetarianism. And now she's going to torture her dog, only so she can lord her unbending skepticism over us poseurs :(
Maybe she meant that she's skeptical of dog owners whose dogs don't eat meat? :ugeek: .

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

I could accept xenomorph biology more if it followed the typical parasite route and left Kane for another host via his rectum.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Shatterface wrote: I could accept xenomorph biology more if it followed the typical parasite route and left Kane for another host via his rectum.
That wouldn't be Alien, it would be Montezuma's Revenge in Space.

Come to think of it, I would pay to see that movie.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

What we did on christmas day: went to the mountains to find a spot and bury our snake. We put inside his grave a rune ring with Dagaz ("D" for Dexter) and the three frozen mice we had left from his feeding reserve as a snack for the afterlife.

If he doesn't go to Valhalla, nobody will!

Fine, we just buried his lifeless remains but thought it would be fun and helpful to put a bit of ceremony into it. Probably will be dug out by fucking wild animals anyway, which is how it should be.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

In any case it's a day you won't forget soon...

cheers to the livestock (both the living & the dead) ...and separate but equal regards to you and Ali.

All the best for 2018.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Godfrey Elfwick's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

https://imgur.com/sh6X8oF.png

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

MarcusAu wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:04 am
In any case it's a day you won't forget soon...

cheers to the livestock (both the living & the dead) ...and separate but equal regards to you and Ali.

All the best for 2018.
And right back at you.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Ape+lust wrote: Godfrey Elfwick's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

If you have to pay to interact with a woman you should pay the full amount up front, not just a deposit.

It's the world's oldest profession. How can anyone still not know the rules?

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

So do most people leave the full deposit or just the tip?

feathers

Post by feathers »

Shatterface wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:34 pm
How does acid blood work?
Ask PZ Myers.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Bhurzum wrote:
Lower half, I presume.

katamari Damassi

Shatterface wrote:
Ape+lust wrote: Godfrey Elfwick's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

If you have to pay to interact with a woman you should pay the full amount up front, not just a deposit.

It's the world's oldest profession. How can anyone still not know the rules?
What's a mutual?

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

feathers wrote:
Bhurzum wrote:
Lower half, I presume.
:shock:

In that case, Bhurzum had better reconsider before this shows up.

https://imgur.com/Bn3Yj7D.jpg

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Christmas in Aleppo.

https://i.imgur.com/GyzGrcK.png

Who dat nasty boogieman on dem billboards? :o

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

katamari Damassi wrote: What's a mutual?
I'm assuming it's short for 'mutual acquaintance'.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

I assume it's a courtesy follow. You follow someone you admire and they follow you back because they're polite, not because they're especially interested in you.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Kirbmarc wrote:
VickyCaramel wrote:
deLurch wrote:
VickyCaramel wrote:

Doesn't everyone?

PS - if you like teen horror movies, watch Tucker and Dale Vs Evil

PPS - Moxy Fruvous had Jian Ghomeshi in it.

katamari Damassi

MarcusAu wrote:
I'm assuming it's short for 'mutual acquaintance'.
Ape+lust wrote:
I assume it's a courtesy follow. You follow someone you admire and they follow you back because they're polite, not because they're especially interested in you.
Thanks. Thought it might me some kind poly millennial speak.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:42 pm
Before the Cone of Silence descended, I tried to remind my sister of how she'd come home from junior high in tears because of the viciousness within her circle of friends, and how our parents along with some others had to confront the parents of the lead sadistic ringleader and essentially issue a citizens' restraining order.
The Danish authorities are currently refurbishing a prison to women-only because some report suggested that aboout 18% in the current mixed prison is exposed to some form of sexual harassment, so they would be safer there. There's only one tiny problem: the women in the current prison don't want it.

https://hsfo.dk/hedensted/Faengselsbetj ... kel/133758
(Warden: inmates horrified of women's prison)

The old mixed prison has a department reserved for women where they can be put if really desired, but it doesn't happen very often or very long, a warden explains. She also points out the cliche-like, but seemingly true, experience that women seem to be less experienced in resolving and putting aside conflicts, letting them escalate instead. Also, a female-only prison is not a very good preparation for your return in society. And obviously, the women themselves have come to the same conclusion.

The warden's findings have later been confirmed by a small questionnaire under inmates by newspaper Berlingske.