There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

Old subthreads
Billie from Ockham

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one of them

Post by Billie from Ockham »

Scented Nectar wrote: {snip}

With religion, Trump's separating it from the state by freeing it from extra laws saying what they were and weren't allowed to talk about, so that goes towards more 1st amendment freedom of speech and religion. Religious places were not allowed to discuss politics with their congregations or else they would lose their tax exemptions. Mind you, I also don't think that religions or charities should be tax exempt at all, but if they are, then don't also force them to give up their free expression or any other rights. That makes it a bribe to not discuss political issues with their congregations where they might have influence, and which must have scared Lyndon Johnson when he made that law.

{snip}
First I'll address something you wrote by asking: what do you think the "establishment clause" means?

Now I'll switch to how I approach usually this. How do you think that a president's "policies" with regard to Constitutional rights are enacted?

(As a hint to the answer, I'll go on to ask a final question.)

What positions has the Trump Admin taken on Church-and-State case and who has Trump been nominating to the appellate bench?

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

paddybrown wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:58 pm
May I interrupt the current argument about Trump to appeal for computery help?

I spilled Coke (no, not "come", thanks very much autocorrect, I haven't done that since last week) on my laptop keyboard. I've cleaned it up as best I can, and when I plug in the mains adapter the charging light comes on, but the power button doesn't work. Is this likely to be fixable?
Is it an Apple product? If so, my bassist/producer got the exact same problem and managed to fix it. I could ask him.

Billie from Ockham

Wow. When I said that I don't proof-read on Sundays, I wasn't fucking around.

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

paddybrown wrote:

I spilled Coke (no, not "come", thanks very much autocorrect, I haven't done that since last week) on my laptop keyboard. I've cleaned it up as best I can, and when I plug in the mains adapter the charging light comes on, but the power button doesn't work. Is this likely to be fixable?
I took my keyboard apart went over it a couple of times with a damp cloth. Let it dry completely. Put it back together. Tried it out.

And went out and bought a new keyboard.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Maybe it's just me but all the argument does rather lower the Joke Quotient of this place.

How does everyone else feel about the JQ?

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:08 pm
paddybrown wrote:

Is it an Apple product? If so, my bassist/producer got the exact same problem and managed to fix it. I could ask him.
No, it's a Hewlett Packard. But the principle may be the same. Any and all advice welcome, even from a bass player.

dogen

Post by dogen »

paddybrown wrote: May I interrupt the current argument about Trump to appeal for computery help?

Maybe, maybe not. First step, leave it (open) in the dryest place in your house, for 24 hours. You want all remaining liquid to evaporate. Then, if you get lucky, things work again. If you're unlucky, then the coke has left a residue on the switch contacts, and that's much more difficult to fix.

Billie from Ockham

MarcusAu wrote: Maybe it's just me but all the argument does rather lower the Joke Quotient of this place.

I feel that it was higher when Obama was in office. tee hee

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

VickyCaramel wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:27 pm
Scented Nectar wrote: With religion, Trump's separating it from the state by freeing it from extra laws saying what they were and weren't allowed to talk about, so that goes towards more 1st amendment freedom of speech and religion. Religious places were not allowed to discuss politics with their congregations or else they would lose their tax exemptions. Mind you, I also don't think that religions or charities should be tax exempt at all, but if they are, then don't also force them to give up their free expression or any other rights. That makes it a bribe to not discuss political issues with their congregations where they might have influence, and which must have scared Lyndon Johnson when he made that law.

With the whole abortion issue, I don't think that is even a religious issue necessarily, since lots of people might be horrified at the idea of paying for someone's late term live-birth-abortion, or even an early one. It's a touchy topic unless it's medically necessary, since it does involve the voluntary killing of a human being, regardless of whether it's legal or not, and regardless of whether one thinks of it as good or bad. Same with forcing a doctor to perform abortions or euthanasia if it goes against their personal beliefs, religious or otherwise. And contraception is also a recreational activity expense, so if an employer of any religious belief or non-belief doesn't want to pay for it, it's no different than not wanting to pay for an employee's new computer or bike helmet or new furniture. The employee can do it themselves out of their paycheques.
I disagree with you on a lot here, especially the contraception thing. However, I recognize that these arguments exist, and there are people on the right who can make very convincing arguments (not neccarceraly correct arguments, but convincing). I also recognize that the arguments against them might me arguing for the right outcome, but are terrible fucking arguments.

But mostly, I recognize that Trump (although more of a Democrat) joined the Republicans and has to play lip service to their wishes. Employers being forced to pay for contraception is a Democrat policy, you have the option to vote for them if you really want it. Frankly I thought employers were paying for health insurance not the drugs, i think you are on a slippery slope if you employer gets a say on what medical treatments you are entitled to under that insurance.
True, that is a slippery slope. I forgot about the insurance part of it. Maybe they shouldn't be forced to pay for health insurance at all if they don't want to. Didn't Obamacare force them to provide it? I know that he made the insurers add stuff to policies even if the people didn't want or need and it, and they had to have the insurance if they didn't want a tax penalty. Obama didn't want people getting custom or partial insurance to some extent. If he had, businesses could offer partial plans as perks and employees could top it off with any contraversial extras (or private none of the boss's business extras) from their own wallets. No one would have been forced to pay for it and no one would've been prevented from buying it either.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:51 pm
Scented wrote:
Wiki is just quoting a bunch of mainstream newspapers, a documentary, and a letter from someone (representing some company - Moscow Helsinki Group) in the above. I checked the list of citations at the bottom of the page. Nothing I can consider as for sure credible since it's all at least once removed from the actual source of the info they're conveying.
RT is pure Russian propaganda.The "MSM" doesn't always get it right, but for my money are far more reliable than RT or Alex Jones, or magick believer Mike Cernovich. (Fox news not really part of the MSM for this example)
I have to admit i have never fact checked RT because I would never use it as a first, second or third choice (because people say things like, "RT is pure Russian propaganda" and dismiss it out of hand) . However, I have never seen anybody else demonstrate that they make stuff up in the way the western MSM does. From what I can see they bury stories unhelpful to Putin, and highlight stories that are at least inconvenient to his enemies, which is ironically the left.

I am sure they spin stories too, but not in the way it is obvious when watching CNN or Fox. The overall coverage might be politically biased but individual stories seem to be more reliable and unbiased than the MSM, and why wouldn't they be? They don't seem to have a narrative to push and don't feel the need to pander to advocates or activists in the West.

Billie from Ockham

IMO, the blame for the current situation with regard to religion and insurance goes to the Hobby Lobby decision. SCOTUS had a golden opportunity to reiterate that, when you become a public-traded company, you must obey the fucking law, because publicly-held companies don't have a religion to hide behind. (If you want to hide behind your religion, then don't become a publicly-traded company. It's that fucking simple.) But, instead, the FCF invented this crazy idea that a company that is "closely held" (whatever the fuck that means) takes on the religious beliefs of the majority stock-holder. If any President gets blame for this, it's Reagan. But you know who I, personally, blame.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

dogen wrote:
paddybrown wrote: May I interrupt the current argument about Trump to appeal for computery help?

Maybe, maybe not. First step, leave it (open) in the dryest place in your house, for 24 hours. You want all remaining liquid to evaporate. Then, if you get lucky, things work again. If you're unlucky, then the coke has left a residue on the switch contacts, and that's much more difficult to fix.
My son did that to a nearly new MacBook Pro 15" (except he used tea, not Coke). Let it dry but no go. Needed a new motherboard and a new screen, which would have cost more than it was worth, so he ended up having the shop put the SSD into a slightly newer, but still secondhand, model and bought that. Fortunately it was not the laptop he runs his Mathematica simulations on for his thesis.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

paddybrown wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:08 pm
paddybrown wrote:

No, it's a Hewlett Packard. But the principle may be the same. Any and all advice welcome, even from a bass player.
If you're feeling brave, you could rinse with distilled water and dry it with a hair dryer.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

Scented Nectar wrote: True, that is a slippery slope. I forgot about the insurance part of it. Maybe they shouldn't be forced to pay for health insurance at all if they don't want to. Didn't Obamacare force them to provide it? I know that he made the insurers add stuff to policies even if the people didn't want or need and it, and they had to have the insurance if they didn't want a tax penalty. Obama didn't want people getting custom or partial insurance to some extent. If he had, businesses could offer partial plans as perks and employees could top it off with any contraversial extras (or private none of the boss's business extras) from their own wallets. No one would have been forced to pay for it and no one would've been prevented from buying it either.
I think you should have National Insurance like we do, which is a whole other discussion, but even then you are just shifting the problem to government which would freak out the religious right and the libertarians even more.

Personally I am not happy with the taxpayer having to fund endless rounds of fertility treatments, sex change operations, and cosmetic surgery just because some bimbo "claims" that her small boobs are causing her depression (everybody knows these tricks). Not to mention that the NHS funds alternative therapies... I am not too bothered by Aromatherapy or Reflexology, who am I to deprive old folks a smelly candle and a foot rub, but acupuncture and homeopathy is dangerous nonsense. There is definitely a discussion to be had about what could be excluded from funding.

Anyway, stripping off naked, shouting "my body, my choice" while carrying a placard saying "Trump is literally Hitler" is not warranted.
hd-naked-lady-muzz-2.jpg
(79.41 KiB) Downloaded 287 times

Billie from Ockham

To me, the "good old days" on The Pit were those when people didn't post pictures with the fun parts censored. I mean, where else does one learn what a dragon's penis looks like? I'd played D&D since the 1970s and still had no idea.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Scented wrote:
Wiki is just quoting a bunch of mainstream newspapers, a documentary, and a letter from someone (representing some company - Moscow Helsinki Group) in the above. I checked the list of citations at the bottom of the page. Nothing I can consider as for sure credible since it's all at least once removed from the actual source of the info they're conveying.
RT is pure Russian propaganda.The "MSM" doesn't always get it right, but for my money are far more reliable than RT or Alex Jones, or magick believer Mike Cernovich. (Fox news not really part of the MSM for this example)
Yep, RT is mainstream media too - just another country's msm, and they are no more or less propaganda than any of the others are, but in the case of the videos I posted, they had Natalia herself talking. So, it was straight from her mouth, not just them claiming she said this or that. Mind you, they may have edited things to some extent. There's a chance some things she said could be missing. Also, no one should be believed wholesale, so what she says herself must also be open to scrutiny. But, she is a main player, so her personal testimony is important as part of the whole picture. I get good truthy vibes from her and what she says sounds sensible and without contradictions/holes, but I can't read anyone's mind for sure.

Lee Stranahan is going to be having her on his show soon. That will be live and uninterrupted. Not sure when it'll be, but I'm looking forward to it. My impression is that she's been telling the truth, and Lee will ask some good, well-researched questions.

Alex Jones seems pretty reliable in that the stuff he says the year before tends to turn out to be true. The stuff he really says that is, not the stuff the msm claims he says. I've found that for at least as long as I've been watching him (about 2 or 3 years now?). I knew all about Hillary's uranium giveaway to Russia before the election thanks to that show. And a bunch of other examples I've forgotten.

Mike Cernovitch is a phony though, in my opinion. A bandwagon-jumping phony. I'm not a fan.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

VickyCaramel wrote: Anyway, stripping off naked, shouting "my body, my choice" while carrying a placard saying "Trump is literally Hitler" is not warranted.
hd-naked-lady-muzz-2.jpg
Fuck me, the teeth on that!

She's certainly no sweetie, but there's plenty of added Shergar there.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Lsuoma wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:55 pm
Scented Nectar wrote: Oh hello! I might as well ask you outright. What are the censorship rules here today?
Whatever my Fascist mind decides. Just don't be BORING.

Also, someone mentioned left-wingers - who are they?
Whim of the dictator rules. Got it. Well, I'm not going out of my way to try and predict what might bore you or not. That would be court jesterish walking-on-thin-ice behaviour.

So, anyone want to place bets on how long I'll last here this time? I give myself under 24 hours before Lsuoma does something to me or my posts. :D

ffs

Post by ffs »

MarcusAu wrote: Maybe it's just me but all the argument does rather lower the Joke Quotient of this place.

stop JQing off

ffs

Post by ffs »

VickyCaramel wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote: True, that is a slippery slope. I forgot about the insurance part of it. Maybe they shouldn't be forced to pay for health insurance at all if they don't want to. Didn't Obamacare force them to provide it? I know that he made the insurers add stuff to policies even if the people didn't want or need and it, and they had to have the insurance if they didn't want a tax penalty. Obama didn't want people getting custom or partial insurance to some extent. If he had, businesses could offer partial plans as perks and employees could top it off with any contraversial extras (or private none of the boss's business extras) from their own wallets. No one would have been forced to pay for it and no one would've been prevented from buying it either.
I think you should have National Insurance like we do, which is a whole other discussion, but even then you are just shifting the problem to government which would freak out the religious right and the libertarians even more.

Personally I am not happy with the taxpayer having to fund endless rounds of fertility treatments, sex change operations, and cosmetic surgery just because some bimbo "claims" that her small boobs are causing her depression (everybody knows these tricks). Not to mention that the NHS funds alternative therapies... I am not too bothered by Aromatherapy or Reflexology, who am I to deprive old folks a smelly candle and a foot rub, but acupuncture and homeopathy is dangerous nonsense. There is definitely a discussion to be had about what could be excluded from funding.

Anyway, stripping off naked, shouting "my body, my choice" while carrying a placard saying "Trump is literally Hitler" is not warranted.

hd-naked-lady-muzz-2.jpg
her small boobs are making me depressed, does that count?

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Billie from Ockham wrote: To me, the "good old days" on The Pit were those when people didn't post pictures with the fun parts censored. I mean, where else does one learn what a dragon's penis looks like? I'd played D&D since the 1970s and still had no idea.
Tolkien doesn't go into dragon dicks in Lord of the Rings. I think it might be in The Silmarillion but I never got that far.

Billie from Ockham

The only dragon sex that I remember in mainstream fantasy stories was McCaffrey's Pern stuff, but she didn't provide details.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

paddybrown wrote:

Based on my experience with laptops and consuming tasty beverages whilst perusing the, Pit I would suspect the answer is NO. But I would take it into a computer shop and let them open it up for inspection. Assuming of course that the cost of doing so is less than a substantial chunk towards replacing it.

You would have been better off with coffee, water, tea etc. etc. In my experience nothing kills faster that Coke. Whereas right now the worst I am suffering is a slightly sticky keyboard. I expect this will change at some point in the future. Apparently, there are some lessons I am incapable of learning.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Scented wrote:
Yep, RT is mainstream media too - just another country's msm, and they are no more or less propaganda than any of the others are, but in the case of the videos I posted, they had Natalia herself talking.
The difference between Russian media and American media is that the Russian government owns the major media and tells them what to write. Pesky reporters tend to end up dead in Russia as well. Surprisingly, in the 8 years that Obama was in office nobody from Fox news or the Alex Jones show ended up killed mysterious hitmen or in jail. Also, there is more than one point of view expressed in the US as opposed to Russia where criticism of Putin has been stifled.
As for Veselnitskaya, I don't deny that she said what she said to congress, I just don't think she was telling the truth. She may not be a card carrying member of the FSB or a salaried employee of the Russian government but it certainly appears she was shilling for the government. What interest do you think she would have in giving anti clinton info to the Trump bunch which was her original premise in talking to them or to offer Americans the possibility of resuming the adoption of Russian children (which was withdrawn because of the Magnitsky Act) if she wasn't speaking for the Russian government?
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... wer-broker

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Tigzy wrote:
VickyCaramel wrote: Anyway, stripping off naked, shouting "my body, my choice" while carrying a placard saying "Trump is literally Hitler" is not warranted.
hd-naked-lady-muzz-2.jpg

Matt Cavanaugh just tore a hole in his pants.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Billie from Ockham wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:07 pm
Scented Nectar wrote: {snip}

With religion, Trump's separating it from the state by freeing it from extra laws saying what they were and weren't allowed to talk about, so that goes towards more 1st amendment freedom of speech and religion. Religious places were not allowed to discuss politics with their congregations or else they would lose their tax exemptions. Mind you, I also don't think that religions or charities should be tax exempt at all, but if they are, then don't also force them to give up their free expression or any other rights. That makes it a bribe to not discuss political issues with their congregations where they might have influence, and which must have scared Lyndon Johnson when he made that law.

{snip}
First I'll address something you wrote by asking: what do you think the "establishment clause" means?

Now I'll switch to how I approach usually this. How do you think that a president's "policies" with regard to Constitutional rights are enacted?

(As a hint to the answer, I'll go on to ask a final question.)

What positions has the Trump Admin taken on Church-and-State case and who has Trump been nominating to the appellate bench?
Hmmm, well, I'm not an American (wish I was, but I'm not), so I might get this wrong. From what I've heard though, there's more than one interpretation. I think it means that a religious belief cannot be forced on the people nor can it be restricted. Mind you, there must be all sorts of limits or else people would get to break the laws such as saying they have a religious right to kill people who work on the sabbath. But as long as nothing breaks the law, and assuming the law doesn't break the constitution (like taking away 1st amendment rights from religions), then there should be no problem. In theory, that is. The details and different interpretations will always bring problems. I really don't like how the left always controls peoples' beliefs/nonbeliefs in regard to religious stuff. Atheism must never be forced on people, just like specific religions must never be forced.
TL;DR Don't put up religious stuff in gov't schools, but also don't restrict people from wearing crosses or giving Christmas cards to their friends when they are attending a gov't school.

I don't know the procedure for how the rights are enacted, but Trump's been appointing people who are considered to be strong constitutionalists. I don't care if they are religious as well. As long as they follow the law and constitution, then why should anyone be picked on for their beliefs or nonbeliefs? I'm against forcing atheism just as much as I'm against forcing religion. I'm against forcing ANY belief in regards to religion these days, even my own non-belief. Practice has to follow the law (which has to follow the constitution), but beliefs are another matter. As long as the judges are following the law, AND they are not trying to go all theocratic by establishing religion into the gov't/laws, then I'm ok with it.

Ok, I bit. Your turn. I know you have some sort of gotcha waiting. :)

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Scented wrote:
Reuters >> Associated Press >> The Economist >> The Atlantic >> Most European Newspapers >> The Times >> Washington Post/New York Times/Politico >> CNN >> >> BBC >> Most of the online stuff which is 50% clickbait (i.e. Vox, Slate) >> Fox News >> Huffington Post >> Online garbage (EverydayFeminism, Breitbart, BuzzFeed) >> Salon >> Propaganda rags (Al-Jazeera, RT, Telesur) >> A drunk guy in a bar >> Alex Jones.

Billie from Ockham

What makes you think that Trump nominees have been "strong Constitutionalists"? And what does that label mean to you, anyway?

My guess (and be ready to feel insulted) is that your opinions in this area are second-hand, at best. If you don't grok the two sides to the establishment clause, then I don't see how you can have an informed opinion of Trump's nominees.

free thoughtpolice

Kirbmarc wrote:
Reuters >> Associated Press >> The Economist >> The Atlantic >> Most European Newspapers >> The Times >> Washington Post/New York Times/Politico >> CNN >> >> BBC >> Most of the online stuff which is 50% clickbait (i.e. Vox, Slate) >> Fox News >> Huffington Post >> Online garbage (EverydayFeminism, Breitbart, BuzzFeed) >> Salon >> Propaganda rags (Al-Jazeera, RT, Telesur) >> A drunk guy in a bar >> Alex Jones.
:lol: Pretty much the same sort of ranking I would give except maybe A drunk guy in a bar should be slightly ahead of Everyday Feminism.

Keating

Post by Keating »

Method I use to clean my laptop:

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

VickyCaramel wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:37 pm

hd-naked-lady-muzz-2.jpg
We have a national one here in Canada, and it's gotten shittier and shittier over my lifetime. It's good as part of a general safety net (like welfare etc), but there should be the freedom to opt out and for doctors to work independent of it if they want. We're not fully socialist/communist, luckily. In countries that are, the medical care is even more atrocious, when it exists at all. But, once a communist regime is in and has outlawed other parties as "hate" or "dissidents" or "the enemy", then like with a vampire that you've just invited in, you no longer get a say in things and they can go forward full force without fear of being booted out in the next election. Doesn't matter if you think it's not fair that the elite's wealth of medicine/treatment are not being distributed evenly or that their socialist utopian sales pitch turned out to be a lie. And if the party decides you need a treatment for the good of the people, like forced 'voluntary euthanasia' of the non-productive, forced abortions or forced pregnancies depending on the regime's population number goals, or that prisoners must donate organs or take part in experiments, all of which other socialist/communist regimes have always ended up doing with their old, sick, and the convenient designated enemies, you have no choice to opt out. The left has a terrible medical track record.

I like Trump's idea of bringing back competition and free market to insurance. It will bring down prices and to increase peoples' choices in medical stuff. And he doesn't intend to take away the medicare safety net, which is good. If that wasn't there, then I wouldn't like the idea so much, but the combo sounds good.

Keating

Post by Keating »

Thing I’ll always be grateful to Trump for as a non-USian: killing the TPP, at least for the time being. Canadians also get credit for not bothering to show up for the signing of the quick fix attempt to revive it. Unfortunately, both sides of Australia’s parliament are quixotic about giving away Australia’s sovereignty for peanuts.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:32 pm
Scented wrote:
Yep, RT is mainstream media too - just another country's msm, and they are no more or less propaganda than any of the others are, but in the case of the videos I posted, they had Natalia herself talking.
The difference between Russian media and American media is that the Russian government owns the major media and tells them what to write. Pesky reporters tend to end up dead in Russia as well. Surprisingly, in the 8 years that Obama was in office nobody from Fox news or the Alex Jones show ended up killed mysterious hitmen or in jail. Also, there is more than one point of view expressed in the US as opposed to Russia where criticism of Putin has been stifled.
As for Veselnitskaya, I don't deny that she said what she said to congress, I just don't think she was telling the truth. She may not be a card carrying member of the FSB or a salaried employee of the Russian government but it certainly appears she was shilling for the government. What interest do you think she would have in giving anti clinton info to the Trump bunch which was her original premise in talking to them or to offer Americans the possibility of resuming the adoption of Russian children (which was withdrawn because of the Magnitsky Act) if she wasn't speaking for the Russian government?
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... wer-broker
Well, believing someone is a matter of personal opinion whenever there are things that we can't know for certain, like what went on at the meeting or Natalia's intentions. I'm leaning strongly towards believing her though.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Keating wrote: Method I use to clean my laptop:
Can I use that to clear my cache as well?

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:44 pm
What makes you think that Trump nominees have been "strong Constitutionalists"? And what does that label mean to you, anyway?

My guess (and be ready to feel insulted) is that your opinions in this area are second-hand, at best. If you don't grok the two sides to the establishment clause, then I don't see how you can have an informed opinion of Trump's nominees.
Strong on the 1st and 2nd amendments, especially.

As for religion, I've changed my views from what they used to be. I used to be theocratically atheist in a lot of ways. Now, I'm against that, and I hate what the atheist community has done in that regard, and how it's become a part of the far left's forcing of atheism. It's not about the right to be accepted as an atheist and not be picked on by religious people anymore. Maybe it barely ever was. It's become no different than a religious theocracy that controls peoples' beliefs and 'just knows' what's right for them to believe or not.

Billie from Ockham

Remember to use milk when trying to clean the cookies from a computer. It's similar to dealing with pepper-spray. Odd coinky-dink, IMO.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Resetting the clock to before you spilt the coke might work.

Billie from Ockham

Scented Nectar wrote: Strong on the 1st and 2nd amendments, especially.
But what does being strong on the First A mean'? There are two sides to the establishment clause. Does being strong on the First mean that religions are allowed to do anything that they want, no matter what, or does being strong on the First mean that gov't should never provide any support or special treatment for any religion? You can't have it both way. So what does being strong on the First mean to you and why do you believe that Trump's nominees will support that view?

Likewise, does being strong on the Second mean that I can own a tank? That's what some Second-A absolutists argue. Do you believe that Trump has been nominating people who will remove all limits on what "arms" a citizen can own?

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Keating wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:12 pm
Thing I’ll always be grateful to Trump for as a non-USian: killing the TPP, at least for the time being. Canadians also get credit for not bothering to show up for the signing of the quick fix attempt to revive it. Unfortunately, both sides of Australia’s parliament are quixotic about giving away Australia’s sovereignty for peanuts.
Remember back when the left at least pretended to be against colonizing countries with the laws of other countries (like what the TPP would have done to North America and Asia, and which is what the EU trade agreements did end up doing to the various nations in Europe)? And remember back when they claimed to be against bigotry that picks on people for their various sovereign nationalities?

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

I find this guy hilarious.

free thoughtpolice

Scented Nectar wrote:
Lee Stranahan is going to be having her on his show soon. That will be live and uninterrupted. Not sure when it'll be, but I'm looking forward to it. My impression is that she's been telling the truth, and Lee will ask some good, well-researched questions.
I just looked up who Lee Stranahan is. He is an employee of Sputnik International, another Russian government owned propaganda outlet. I am sure that will confirm thatNatasha Natalia has no connection with Russian government.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
Tigzy wrote:

Matt Cavanaugh just tore a hole in his pants.
I don't think so....
maw.png
(699.86 KiB) Downloaded 182 times

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:41 pm
Scented Nectar wrote: Strong on the 1st and 2nd amendments, especially.
But what does being strong on the First A mean'? There are two sides to the establishment clause. Does being strong on the First mean that religions are allowed to do anything that they want, no matter what, or does being strong on the First mean that gov't should never provide any support or special treatment for any religion? You can't have it both way. So what does being strong on the First mean to you and why do you believe that Trump's nominees will support that view?

Likewise, does being strong on the Second mean that I can own a tank? That's what some Second-A absolutists argue. Do you believe that Trump has been nominating people who will remove all limits on what "arms" a citizen can own?
As long as they follow the laws and don't kill people who work on the sabbath, and as long as they don't want special treatment, then what's the problem? It's not only religions who protest against having to pay for abortions, since views on abortion can be independent of religious views. The Obamacare laws added a new restriction to religion that was not a pre-existing one. And making bakeries bake a gay wedding cake takes away their right to choose what customers to serve (is that a constitutional one too? not sure). Everyone else gets to do that, but that right is restricted on (some) religions. Imagine what the response would have been if the complaint was that a muslim bakery was refusing to bake the cake. The gay couple would have been accused of islamophobia etc.

A strong 1st amendment means free speech and free thought.

With the 2nd, even in gun controlled places, anyone old enough to drive, can drive a heavy truck into a crowd of people, so yeah, why outlaw tanks? As long as it's not actually used to murder anyone, and no matter how improbable it might be that it'll ever be needed for a self defence situation, why not? A lawn ornament like that might even have some deterrence value!

Many (maybe all?) authoritarian regimes, from Hitler's socialist workers party to Venezuela's current day socialist disaster, disarmed their citizens first before taking full control. I guess they knew some stuff would be coming up that the people might not be too happy about having forced on them.

There's no limits on how many knives a person can own, or what types, so why with guns? Anyways, in gun controlled cities, like lovely democrat-run Chicago, there are way more gun deaths. They becomes a safe space for criminals (who don't give a shit that they are not supposed to have any guns) while leaving non-criminals (who are following the law and don't have guns) defenseless. Homes can be broken into without fear that the criminal will be shot. Holdups can be done without fear that the victim will pull out a gun of their own.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:04 pm
Scented Nectar wrote:
I just looked up who Lee Stranahan is. He is an employee of Sputnik International, another Russian government owned propaganda outlet. I am sure that will confirm thatNatasha Natalia has no connection with Russian government.
He started out as a Huffington Post journalist, and then moved on to Breitbart working under Andrew B and then under Steve Bannon. Only during the last year did he start having a show on Sputnik. He says they let him say whatever he wants and if that ever changes, he'll leave the show just like that. He's conservative, but his co-host, Garland Nixon, is a Bernie fan and on the left. They both are self-directed though, and don't necessarily parrot any party lines - not their own and not any Russian parties either.

Why are you so against the Russians? If Lee worked for a British radio station or a Mexican one or a Hungarian one, would you also be suspicious? I mean, the cold war's been over for decades ever since the Soviet socialist/commie regime fell, so it must be the more recent anti-Russian bigotry that the democrats spread around. Do you actually believe for real that the Russians got Trump in via election interference, like the democrat's have been baselessly claiming all over the place, instead of him being elected in by the American people?

Billie from Ockham

Scented Nectar wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:10 pm
A strong 1st amendment means free speech and free thought.
That's a non-answer to a question that asked you to deal with the two side of the establishment clause. Here's a concrete example: does a religion keep all of its rights to do whatever the fuck it wants if it participates in a gov't program, such as Medicare? This is where the "action" is these days, so this is the critical question (IMO) when it comes to appellate-court nominees.
Scented Nectar wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:10 pm
With the 2nd, even in gun controlled places, anyone old enough to drive, can drive a heavy truck into a crowd of people, so yeah, why outlaw tanks? As long as it's not actually used to murder anyone, and no matter how improbable it might be that it'll ever be needed for a self defence situation, why not? A lawn ornament like that might even have some deterrence value!
That sounds like the position of Second-A absolutists, which does match the idea of being "strong on the Second A." Well, guess what. None of Trump's nominees are Second-A absolutists. So why would you say that Trump's nominees are strong on the Second A?

Billie from Ockham

The poll sits at about 75% against the idea that a "woman" with a penis should have unrestricted rights in a girls' locker room. In other words, 75% of his readers are shit-lords.

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

Shatterface wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:05 am
DW Adams wrote: If you haven't already, Netflix original 'Godless' is well worth the time to watch. Jack O'Connell (Skins) playing an American cowboy is pretty awesome, as is Thomas Brodie-Sangster (Game of Thrones) as a small town deputy. My only complaint is Jeff Daniels. He can never be the character he is attempting to play. Even with a fully grown beard he still has 'Dumb and Dumber' facial expressions that ruin Frank Griffin, IMO. Also, Michelle Dockery (Downton Abbey) playing a twice widowed ranch owner. Other cast include Scoot McNairy and Sam Waterson, with a bonus Kim Coates (Sons of Anarchy and "Warriorrrrrrrrs, come out and playyyyyyyyyyyy.").
How's it compare with Deadwood?
Better. Since I think Deadwood was shit.

free thoughtpolice

Scented wrote:

Why are you so against the Russians? If Lee worked for a British radio station or a Mexican one or a Hungarian one, would you also be suspicious?
Russian news outlets 10 years ago were different than they are now. RT, at least the english language version did have some reasonable journalists that had been doing somewhat OK work. Around that time, the Russian government began taking over news outlets. For the first while the government controllers were somewhat moderate at RT but they gradually ramped up the editing and eventually started to dictate what should be written, at least according to journalists that worked there. That meshes with what I recall having followed them for a while.
If I run across Stranahan's interview with Natasha Natalia's interview I will give it a look. I suspect he will not ask any tough questions or ask follow ups if she tries to snow him. Or at least if he does, I doubt they will make it past the editor. Apparently he just started with Sputnik so it may be interesting to see how long he lasts. It could be he will do what other non-russian journalists have done at those outlets and quit because they didn't just want to parrot propaganda.

Barbie's Boyfriend

Post by Barbie's Boyfriend »

The poll sits at about 75% against the idea that a "woman" with a penis should have unrestricted rights in a girls' locker room. In other words, 75% of his readers are shit-lords.
I was one of the shitlords who voted no

Really?

Post by Really? »

VickyCaramel wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:22 pm
Scented wrote:
I have to admit i have never fact checked RT because I would never use it as a first, second or third choice (because people say things like, "RT is pure Russian propaganda" and dismiss it out of hand) . However, I have never seen anybody else demonstrate that they make stuff up in the way the western MSM does. From what I can see they bury stories unhelpful to Putin, and highlight stories that are at least inconvenient to his enemies, which is ironically the left.

I am sure they spin stories too, but not in the way it is obvious when watching CNN or Fox. The overall coverage might be politically biased but individual stories seem to be more reliable and unbiased than the MSM, and why wouldn't they be? They don't seem to have a narrative to push and don't feel the need to pander to advocates or activists in the West.
I think sources like RT are necessary because they provide balance to the Amazon/CIA-owned Washington Post and the SJW-infested Times and MSNBC and CNN and all other mainstream news sources.

If you want to appear unbiased, you don't hire Lindy West, stoke the Russia hysteria and then somehow forget to report the massive dirt on the DNC and friends.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Billie from Ockham wrote: The poll sits at about 75% against the idea that a "woman" with a penis should have unrestricted rights in a girls' locker room. In other words, 75% of his readers are shit-lords.
Other way around, mi amigo.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

never mind

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Billie from Ockham wrote: The poll sits at about 75% against the idea that a "woman" with a penis should have unrestricted rights in a girls' locker room. In other words, 75% of his readers are shit-lords.
Other way around, mi amigo.
Is it just me or does the guy in question look like Zinnia Jones?

Guest_d2e60302

Post by Guest_d2e60302 »

It's High School, so I'm not terribly worried by this. The kids were taught sex ed not in grades 9-12 but in grade 5. She's 18, so presumably a senior and so presumably dressing/undressing with other students who are 16 and above. Seeing hormonally shrinking cock and balls should be the most horrible things they see in High School.

As an 18 year old she may not have had her dick cut off, but most folks think that's pretty insane anyway. But if she's on estrogen and/or dressing fem and/or seeing therapists on a regular basis, then I think she's shown that this isn't some Nerds and Porky's scheme to see the boobies.

I'm pretty sure that if any shenanigans go on, her, ahem, transgressions (puts on sunglasses) will be promptly reported.

That said, if other girls find her presence to be a problem, I think they should be reasonably accommodated too, presumably by putting up allowing them different lockers and a privacy screen for them to change behind.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Guest_d2e60302 wrote: It's High School, so I'm not terribly worried by this. The kids were taught sex ed not in grades 9-12 but in grade 5. She's 18, so presumably a senior and so presumably dressing/undressing with other students who are 16 and above. Seeing hormonally shrinking cock and balls should be the most horrible things they see in High School.

As an 18 year old she may not have had her dick cut off, but most folks think that's pretty insane anyway. But if she's on estrogen and/or dressing fem and/or seeing therapists on a regular basis, then I think she's shown that this isn't some Nerds and Porky's scheme to see the boobies.

I'm pretty sure that if any shenanigans go on, her, ahem, transgressions (puts on sunglasses) will be promptly reported.

That said, if other girls find her presence to be a problem, I think they should be reasonably accommodated too, presumably by putting up allowing them different lockers and a privacy screen for them to change behind.
This issue is very easily solved. If you have a dick, use the men's change room. Anything less is pandering to the insane.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

So I purchased a bunch of requested books for my niece this Christmas. Now Amazon is recommending all sorts of little girl books for me to enjoy. :/

Guest_d2e60302

Post by Guest_d2e60302 »

deLurch wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:46 pm
Anything less is pandering to the insane.
I think that ship has sailed, and any effort into fighting that battle is tilting at windmills and a waste of time and money. I guess I'd rather put up with accommodating insane kids with intact genitals and insane parents than incentivize all of them even more to rearrange those genitals with extreme prejudice, and in the meantime encourage better science and policy throughout.

If WEIT's metric of has he is chopped his dick off, if so women's lockerroom is okay, is okay, then we're all still pandering to the insane.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

Scented Nectar wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:42 pm
Keating wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:12 pm
Remember back when the left at least pretended to be against colonizing countries with the laws of other countries (like what the TPP would have done to North America and Asia, and which is what the EU trade agreements did end up doing to the various nations in Europe)? And remember back when they claimed to be against bigotry that picks on people for their various sovereign nationalities?
I don't know much about the TPP and the TTIP has largely been kept secret, but from current trends, I doubt it would have benefited ordinary businesses and ordinary workers. Trump has also cut a load of regulation in the US, I hope he keeps going. With the UK leaving the EU and poised to cut a load of regulation, I look forward to a hell of a lot more trade between the UK and US.

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

People are having a field day with Newman "So you're saying" memes. Here's my favourite so far:-

https://i.imgur.com/qRW2jlT.jpg