There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

Old subthreads
MarcusAu

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

Post by MarcusAu »

Brive1987 wrote: You rascal. Take your pipe to the Trump thread.

Now I'm confused - the message appears to be that people should either care or not care what celebrities think...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQQQNx3qthE

My default position was to give a hearing to people with a higher media profile than myself, and then weigh their opinions accordingly.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Brive1987 wrote:
I'll tell you what I don't see.

Once again - New Fucking Zealand is not present.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

MarcusAu wrote:
Brive1987 wrote: You rascal. Take your pipe to the Trump thread.

Now I'm confused - the message appears to be that people should either care or not care what celebrities think...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQQQNx3qthE

My default position was to give a hearing to people with a higher media profile than myself, and then weigh their opinions accordingly.
It’s vaguely interesting when a celeb takes a principled stand that potentially costs support.

In a passing sort of way. While you reach for the remote.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

MarcusAu wrote:
Brive1987 wrote: https.://twitter.com/basedmonitored/status/988249811660038144?s=21

:lol: :lol:

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Brive1987 wrote:
Rich countries giving aid to poor countries (in terms of percentage of the population living in poverty, not GDP)?

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Brive1987 wrote:
I'll bloody well tell you what I don't see there.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

MarcusAu wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:

:nin: :nin: :nin: :nin: :nin: :nin: :nin: :nin: :nin: :nin: :nin: :nin: :nin: :nin: :nin: :nin: :nin: :nin:

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Bhurzum wrote:
shoutinghorse wrote: Happy St George's Day. :D
Cheers to all my English buddies!

https://memegenerator.net/img/instances ... fannys.jpg

But seriously, all the best! :P
I give you a saint and you give me a Jew hating hollywood hasbeen? :o

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

Nazi Pug joker gets a fine of £800
A man who filmed a pet dog giving Nazi salutes before putting the footage on YouTube has been fined £800.

Mark Meechan, 30, recorded his girlfriend's pug, Buddha, responding to statements such as "Sieg Heil" by raising its paw.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-g ... t-43864133

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

shoutinghorse wrote: I give you a saint and you give me a Jew hating hollywood hasbeen? :o
https://memegenerator.net/img/instances ... y-cunt.jpg

Fuckin' YAAAS!

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Brive1987 wrote: htt.ps://twitter.com/basedmonitored/status/988249811660038144?s=21
Rich countries giving aid to poor countries (in terms of percentage of the population living in poverty, not GDP)?
Don’t be bland.

There is the shit-hole radar approach. The communistic redeployment of the fruits of industry rant. The “look at Israel” lobby. The “deep roots” supremacy of the West line. The IQers. The people mapping murders and violence to outstretched hands.

And then there are the conspiracy theorists noting the problem of being an old stock Southern Hemisphere dweller.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

I think the quality of patron saints has slipped somewhat - if it every really was anything to start with.

Can someone remind me - where was it that St George came from?

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

MarcusAu wrote: I think the quality of patron saints has slipped somewhat - if it every really was anything to start with.

Shiteholeistan? Ragheadabrovia? Paedoland?

The cunt wasn't Scottish and for that sole reason I fucking hate him! Fucking forrin's, coming over here, Allahu Ackbarr'ing all our dragons...

#DeusVult #RemoveKebab #ProudInfidel

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

InfraRedBucket wrote: Nazi Pug joker gets a fine of £800
A man who filmed a pet dog giving Nazi salutes before putting the footage on YouTube has been fined £800.

Mark Meechan, 30, recorded his girlfriend's pug, Buddha, responding to statements such as "Sieg Heil" by raising its paw.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-g ... t-43864133
Jesus, two years of having the Sword of Damocles hanging over you. Was there a convinction recorded?

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

MarcusAu wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:

Why should it be? It's a mythical place where hobbits live.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Well at least Brive will be happy - the map does show Oz leaning to the right.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

MarcusAu wrote: Well at least Brive will be happy - the map does show Oz leaning to the right.
Oz - even the animals are gutter-scum!

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

It's a future out-of-touch-with-reality resentful of his elder siblings, pampered, entitled, douchey misogynist boy!

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Bhurzum wrote:
MarcusAu wrote: I think the quality of patron saints has slipped somewhat - if it every really was anything to start with.

Shiteholeistan? Ragheadabrovia? Paedoland?

The cunt wasn't Scottish and for that sole reason I fucking hate him! Fucking forrin's, coming over here, Allahu Ackbarr'ing all our dragons...

#DeusVult #RemoveKebab #ProudInfidel
He may have been a wog but he's our wog and he killed dragons and saved damsels and things so do one. .. :snooty:

Anyway what did St. Andrew do except invent golf or something?

P.S. We've got a new Royal bundle of joy too so hip hip hoorah!

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

KiwiInOz wrote: I'm not into country music, but I've always had a fondness for Shania Twain.
;) ;) ;)

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

"Just another burden on the welfare state...."

Eh? Wheres the other one then?
OK0816_ThumbnailFiles_lores-1-2.jpg
(147.54 KiB) Downloaded 192 times
f93e51db3c89c64892d075d372a191d8.jpg
(76.54 KiB) Downloaded 203 times
Kate-Middleton-Twins-Cover.jpg
(81.25 KiB) Downloaded 201 times

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

and Liz wasnt supposed to last past 2014..
GL0114_us_cover-1.jpg
(149.5 KiB) Downloaded 210 times

Ps there seems to be an attachment limit of 3 files on the forum.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

InfraRedBucket wrote: and Liz wasnt supposed to last past 2014..
<no pic>

Ps there seems to be an attachment limit of 3 files on the forum.
In your case I'd be grateful if the FT were to reduce it to -4.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

shoutinghorse wrote: "There is a forgotten, nay almost forbidden word, which means more to me than any other. That word is England Booze."
(Winston Churchill)

Happy St George's Day. :D
FTFY

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Brive1987 wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:
Brive1987 wrote: htt.ps://twitter.com/basedmonitored/status/988249811660038144?s=21
Don’t be bland.

There is the shit-hole radar approach. The communistic redeployment of the fruits of industry rant. The “look at Israel” lobby. The “deep roots” supremacy of the West line. The IQers. The people mapping murders and violence to outstretched hands.

And then there are the conspiracy theorists noting the problem of being an old stock Southern Hemisphere dweller.
Japan and South Korea are in blue. So are the UAE. Belarus, the Ukraine, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia, Albania, Montenegro and Macedonia are in red.

There's no need to go after IQ, or lobbies, or even "the west". This is a map of the rich countries which have been stable, socially pacified liberal democracies for years vs. the unstable, poor, socially violent countries which had to deal with authoritarianism for a while, or still do now. Note how North Korea is is orange and South Korea is in blue. Is there an innate, non-environmental IQ difference between North and South Korea? Unlikely.

What is more likely is that a stable liberal democracy, with low levels of violence thanks to a reduction of sectarian competition for resources, with a government that encourages productivity and more or less functional governmental and social institutions, produces prosperity, including aid surplus.

You could also point out that many of the countries which receive MORE aid (the ones in deep purple) are ones where there are ongoing sectarian or drug-related conflicts (Ukraine, Iraq, Afganistan, Colombia, DRC South Sudan, Nigeria, Mexico).

It'd also be interesting to see the same data plotted against how many people live in the country, to see the surplus or deficit in foreign aid per capita.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

By the way, the map comes from this article published by The Economist.

The article is behind a paywall, but there's this interesting paragraph:
Perhaps surprisingly, many recipients are themselves hopping on the benevolence bandwagon, usually Luxembourg style. In 2014, Turkey dished out aid to more countries than Britain did; Thailand was ahead of Canada. Data on the largesse of developing countries, however, are often lacking (and therefore missing from our chart). Brazil, India, Indonesia and Mexico—which received aid from more than 20 countries each—are among the many recipient countries that also send aid abroad, according to the OECD. In all likelihood, China would appear near the top of the ranking of donors: in 2010-12 it gave to a whopping 121 countries, according to official sources.
The plot thickens.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Kirbmarc wrote: It'd also be interesting to see the same data plotted against how many people live in the country, to see the surplus or deficit in foreign aid per capita.
Ask to the internet and you shall receive:

http://ibis.geog.ubc.ca/courses/geob370 ... /odapc.jpg

(A bit old, but still interesting).

Also interesting, for a comparison:

https://cdn.howmuch.net/articles/1-world-map-b37c.jpg

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

shoutinghorse wrote: Anyway what did St. Andrew do except invent golf or something?
*Trigger warning* - virtual punch in the pus.

https://media.giphy.com/media/TAQpf8e89WGBy/giphy.gif

Take that, you bounder!

Suet Cardigan

Post by Suet Cardigan »

I think we might have reached peak stupidity:
White.jpg
(109.65 KiB) Downloaded 310 times

White men have ruled every country in the world throughout history.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

If someone wants to know HOW we've come to this situation, I recommend "Guns, Germs and Steel".

Basically the theory, in very broad-brush terms, goes this way:

Humans left Africa and first spread to the Middle East, Europe, the Indian Subcontient, and Northern Asia, where they co-existed with the animals which lived in the Middle East, and they weren't able to hunt them to extinction, since they hadn't already developed sophisticated hunting techniques. However they didn't co-exist long enough for the animals to develop efficient defenses against them, like they did in Africa. In the Americas and Oceania humans arrived far later, when we were already sophisticated hunters.

As a result we humans wiped out the mega-fauna in Oceania and the Americas, while the African mega-fauna was incredibly hostile and hard to tame, let alone domesticate.

So humans who lived in the Middle East, Mediterranean Europe, the Indian Sub-continent and China were able to domesticate lots of useful animals (horses, cows, pigs, chicken, dogs, sheep, goats, etc.) which gave them big advantages to create more advanced civilizations. In the Americas the only animals which were sophisticated where the llamas: useful, but not enough to develop as quickly (still, the pre-Colombian civilizations were pretty impressive, considering how isolated they were and how little they had in terms of beasts of burden or sources of proteins).

Anyway to make a long story short advanced agricultural-pastoral civilizations developed in the Old World, especially in the Middle East, Mediterranean Europe, Egypt, China, Japan, Korea and India. Eventually climate change (the "Middle Ages optimum") made many areas in the "fertile crescent" less productive, while it made north-western European areas far more productive. The Middle East civilizations still thrived until the already competitive and dynamic North-Western European countries had the luck to discover a route to the Americas and their resources.

North-Western European countries, especially those which controlled North America, where a lot of the natives had been wiped out by European diseases and settlement was easier, became very rich and powerful, with the United Kingdom in particular becoming the first global superpower and settling the United States, Canada, Australia and New Zealand, while the Dutch settled South Africa. After several scientific and technological developments made it possible, more or less ALL big European powers carved out their colonies from Asia and Africa.

Meanwhile Japan, which had been an isolated country for centuries, eventually was forced to open its markets, but managed to remain autonomous, and even created its own colonial empire. Colonies were used for resources and cheap labor, and the colonial powers actively encouraged sectarian divisions ("Divide et Impera" is an old strategy to control your subjects), along with not caring about famines and other disasters, treating the colonial subjects as basically slaves, and in general acting in their own self-interest (like ALL empires, from the Roman empire to the Ottoman to the Aztecs, only with a global reach).

After WWI and WWII, when the European colonial empires exhausted themselves, de-colonization followed, but it was a chaotic, often violent process, which left the former colonies politically and socially unstable, targeted by neo-colonial interference and by multinational corporations looking for cheap labor and cheap resources, and more often than not poor.

The countries which have managed to be relatively more stable and with solid institutions are now experiencing growth and success, the countries which are plagued by violence, political and social instability, and conflicts over resources are also poor and in need of constant aid, to say nothing of their low levels of human development.

There's no need to assume big IQ differences, or "western supremacy". It's just a matter of geography and history, along with modern economics.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/fart ... ssion=true

Judge upholds Australian cart culture. A clear victory for the patriarchy.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

New slice of pie...

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

If you're interested, it's useful to study how South Korea became a rich country:
South Korea's real gross domestic product expanded by an average of more than 8 percent per year, from US$2.7 billion in 1962[59] to US$230 billion in 1989,[60] breaking the trillion dollar mark in 2006. Nominal GDP per capita grew from $103.88 in 1962[61] to $5,438.24 in 1989,[62] reaching the $20,000 milestone in 2006. The manufacturing sector grew from 14.3 percent of the GNP in 1962 to 30.3 percent in 1987. Commodity trade volume rose from US$480 million in 1962 to a projected US$127.9 billion in 1990. The ratio of domestic savings to GNP grew from 3.3 percent in 1962 to 35.8 percent in 1989. In 1965 South Korea's rate of growth first exceeded North Korea's rate of growth in most industrial areas, though South Korea's per capita GNP was still lower.[63]

The most significant factor in rapid industrialization was the adoption of an outward-looking strategy in the early 1960s.[64] This strategy was particularly well-suited to that time because of South Korea's poor natural resource endowment, low savings rate, and tiny domestic market. The strategy promoted economic growth through labor-intensive manufactured exports, in which South Korea could develop a competitive advantage. Government initiatives played an important role in this process. Through the model of export-led industrialization, the South Korean government incentivized corporations to develop new technology and upgrade productive efficiency in order to compete in the highly-competitive, global market.[65] By adhering to state regulations and demands, firms were awarded subsidization and investment support to rapidly develop their export markets in the fast-paced, evolving international arena.[65] In addition, the inflow of foreign capital was greatly encouraged to supplement the shortage of domestic savings. These efforts enabled South Korea to achieve rapid growth in exports and subsequent increases in income.
This was obviously possible thanks to a stable and autonomous government which wasn't too corrupt or inefficient.

Let's compare the South Korean development to the poverty of the Democratic Republic of the Congo, one of the poorest countries on Earth. The DRC has a VERY violent and unstable history.

First, this happened:
The eastern regions of the precolonial Congo were heavily disrupted by constant slave raiding, mainly from Arab–Swahili slave traders such as the infamous Tippu Tip,[24] who was well known to Stanley.
Then this happened:
Leopold [II, King of Belgium] formally acquired rights to the Congo territory at the Conference of Berlin in 1885 and made the land his private property. He named it the Congo Free State.[25] Leopold's regime began various infrastructure projects, such as construction of the railway that ran from the coast to the capital of Leopoldville (now Kinshasa), which took eight years to complete. Nearly all such infrastructure projects were aimed at making it easier to increase the assets which Leopold and his associates could extract from the colony.[26]

In the Free State, colonists brutalized the local population into producing rubber, for which the spread of automobiles and development of rubber tires created a growing international market. Rubber sales made a fortune for Leopold, who built several buildings in Brussels and Ostend to honor himself and his country. To enforce the rubber quotas, the army, the Force Publique, was called in and made the practice of cutting off the limbs of the natives a matter of policy.[27]

During the period of 1885–1908, millions of Congolese died as a consequence of exploitation and disease. In some areas the population declined dramatically – it has been estimated that sleeping sickness and smallpox killed nearly half the population in the areas surrounding the lower Congo River.[27]
Then this happened:
Colonial administrators ruled the territory and a dual legal system existed (a system of European courts and another one of indigenous courts, tribunaux indigènes). Indigenous courts had only limited powers and remained under the firm control of the colonial administration. Records show that in 1936, 728 Belgian administrators ran the colony.[citation needed] The Belgian authorities permitted no political activity in the Congo whatsoever,[30] and the Force Publique, a locally-recruited army under Belgian command, put down any attempts at rebellion.
Then THIS happehed:
The Belgian Congo achieved independence on 30 June 1960 under the name "République du Congo" ("Republic of Congo" or "Republic of the Congo" in English). Shortly after independence the Force Publique mutinied, and on July 11 the province of Katanga (led by Moïse Tshombe) and South Kasai engaged in secessionist struggles against the new leadership.[33][34] Most of the 100,000 Europeans who had remained behind after independence fled the country,[35] opening the way for Congolese to replace the European military and administrative elite.[36] As the neighboring French colony of Middle Congo (Moyen Congo) also chose the name "Republic of Congo" upon achieving its independence, the two countries were more commonly known as "Congo-Léopoldville" and "Congo-Brazzaville", after their capital cities.

On 5 September 1960, Kasavubu dismissed Lumumba from office. Lumumba declared Kasavubu's action unconstitutional and a crisis between the two leaders developed. (cf. Sécession au Katanga – J.Gerald-Libois -Brussels- CRISP)

With events set in motion by the U.S. and Belgium, on 14 September, Lumumba was removed from office by forces loyal to Joseph Mobutu. On 17 January 1961, he was handed over to Katangan authorities and executed by Belgian-led Katangese troops.[37] An investigation by the Belgium's Parliament in 2001 found that Belgium was "morally responsible" for the murder of Mr Lumumba, and the country has since officially apologised for its role in his death.[38]

Amidst widespread confusion and chaos, a temporary government was led by technicians (Collège des Commissaires). The Katanga secession was ended in January 1963 with the assistance of UN forces. Several short-lived governments, of Joseph Ileo, Cyrille Adoula and Moise Tshombe, took over in quick succession.

Lumumba had previously appointed Joseph Mobutu chief of staff of the new Congo army, Armée Nationale Congolaise (ANC).[citation needed] Taking advantage of the leadership crisis between Kasavubu and Tshombe, Mobutu garnered enough support within the army to launch a coup. With financial support from the United States and Belgium, Mobutu paid his soldiers privately. The aversion of Western powers to communism and leftist ideology influenced their decision to finance Mobutu's quest to neutralize Kasavubu and Lumumba in a coup by proxy. A constitutional referendum after Mobutu's coup of 1965 resulted in the country's official name being changed to the "Democratic Republic of the Congo."[1] In 1971 Mobutu changed the name again, this time to "Republic of Zaire".[39][17]
Then, just to make things even worse, THIS happened:
By 1996, following the Rwandan Civil War and genocide and the ascension of a Tutsi-led government in Rwanda, Rwandan Hutu militia forces (Interahamwe) fled to eastern Zaire and used refugee camps as a base for incursions against Rwanda. They allied with the Zairian armed forces (FAZ) to launch a campaign against Congolese ethnic Tutsis in eastern Zaire.[48]

A coalition of Rwandan and Ugandan armies invaded Zaire to overthrow the government of Mobutu, and ultimately to control the mineral resources of Zaire, launching the First Congo War. The coalition allied with some opposition figures, led by Laurent-Désiré Kabila, becoming the Alliance of Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Congo (AFDL). In 1997 Mobutu fled and Kabila marched into Kinshasa, naming himself president and reverting the name of the country to the Democratic Republic of the Congo.

Kabila later requested that foreign military forces return to their own countries—he had concerns that the Rwandan officers running his army were plotting a coup to give the presidency to a Tutsi who would report directly to the Rwandan president, Paul Kagame. Rwandan troops retreated to Goma and launched a new Tutsi-led rebel military movement called the Rassemblement Congolais pour la Democratie (RCD) to fight against Kabila, while Uganda instigated the creation of new rebel movement called the Movement for the Liberation of Congo (MLC), led by the Congolese warlord Jean-Pierre Bemba. The two rebel movements, along with Rwandan and Ugandan troops, started the Second Congo War by attacking the DRC army in 1998. Angolan, Zimbabwean and Namibian militaries entered the hostilities on the side of the government.

Kabila was assassinated in 2001. His son Joseph Kabila succeeded him and called for multilateral peace-talks. UN peacekeepers, MONUC, now known as MONUSCO, arrived in April 2001. In 2002 and 2003 Bemba intervened in the Central African Republic on behalf of its former president, Ange-Félix Patassé.[49] Talks led to the signing of a peace accord in which Kabila would share power with former rebels. By June 2003 all foreign armies except those of Rwanda had pulled out of Congo. A transitional government was set up until the election was over. A constitution was approved by voters, and on 30 July 2006 DRC held its first multi-party elections. An election-result dispute between Kabila and Jean-Pierre Bemba turned into an all-out battle between their supporters in the streets of Kinshasa. MONUC took control of the city. A new election took place in October 2006, which Kabila won, and on December 2006 he was sworn in as President.
THEN, since this apparently wasn't enough, THIS is STILL happening:
vu conflict
However, Laurent Nkunda, a member of RCD-Goma, an RCD branch integrated to the army, defected along with troops loyal to him and formed the National Congress for the Defence of the People (CNDP), which began an armed rebellion against the government, starting the Kivu conflict. They were believed[by whom?] to be again backed by Rwanda as a way to tackle the Hutu group, Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda (FDLR). In March 2009, after a deal between the DRC and Rwanda, Rwandan troops entered the DRC and arrested Nkunda and were allowed to pursue FDLR militants. The CNDP signed a peace treaty with the government in which it agreed to become a political party and to have its soldiers integrated into the national army in exchange for the release of its imprisoned members.[50] In 2012 the leader of the CNDP, Bosco Ntaganda, and troops loyal to him, mutinied and formed the rebel military March 23 Movement, claiming a violation of the treaty by the government.[51]

In the resulting M23 rebellion, M23 briefly captured the provincial capital of Goma in November 2012.[52][53] Neighboring countries, particularly Rwanda, have been accused of using rebels groups as proxies to gain control of the resource-rich country and of arming rebels, a claim they deny.[54][55] In March 2013, the United Nations Security Council authorized the United Nations Force Intervention Brigade, the first offensive United Nations peacekeeping unit, to neutralize armed groups.[56] On 5 November 2013, M23 declared an end to its insurgency.[57]

People fleeing their villages due to fighting between FARDC and rebels groups, North Kivu, 2012
Additionally, in northern Katanga, the Mai-Mai created by Laurent Kabila slipped out of the control of Kinshasa with Gédéon Kyungu Mutanga's Mai Mai Kata Katanga briefly invading the provincial capital of Lubumbashi in 2013 and 400,000 persons displaced in the province as of 2013.[58] On and off fighting in the Ituri conflict occurred between the Nationalist and Integrationist Front (FNI) and the Union of Congolese Patriots (UPC) who claimed to represent the Lendu and Hema ethnic groups, respectively. In the northeast, Joseph Kony's LRA moved from their original bases in Uganda and South Sudan to DR Congo in 2005 and set up camps in the Garamba National Park.[59][60]

In 2009, The New York Times reported that people in the Congo continued to die at a rate of an estimated 45,000 per month[61] – estimates of the number who have died from the long conflict range from 900,000 to 5,400,000.[62] The death toll is due to widespread disease and famine; reports indicate that almost half of the individuals who have died are children under five years of age.[63] There have been frequent reports of weapon bearers killing civilians, of the destruction of property, of widespread sexual violence,[64] causing hundreds of thousands of people to flee their homes, and of other breaches of humanitarian and human rights law. One study found that more than 400,000 women are raped in the Democratic Republic of Congo every year.[65]
Yeah, this seems like the ideal series of circumstances and events to foster growth and development :bjarte:

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Ah, by the way, THIS is what's now going on in the DRC:
According to Jan Egeland (presently Secretary General of the Norwegian Refugee Council) the situation in the DRC became much worse in 2016 and 2017 and is a major moral and humanitarian challenge comparable to the wars in Syria and Yemen, which receive much more attention. Women and children are abused sexually and "abused in all possible manners". Besides the conflict in North Kivu, violence has gone up in the Kasai region. The armed groups are after gold, diamonds, oil, and cobalt to line the pockets of rich men both in the region and internationally. There are also ethnic and cultural rivalries at play, as well as religious motives and the political crisis with postponed elections. He says people believe the situation in the DRC is "stably bad" but in fact it has become much, much worse. "The big wars of the Congo that were really on top of the agenda 15 years ago are back and worsening".[71] Due to irregular planting and harvesting caused by the conflict, it is estimated by UN reporting in March 2018 that 2 million children are at risk of starvation.[72]

Human Rights Watch said in 2017 that Joseph Kabila recruited former M23 fighters to put down country-wide protests over his refusal to step down from office at the end of his term. "M23 fighters patrolled the streets of Congo’s main cities, firing on or arresting protesters or anyone else deemed to be a threat to the president," they said.[73]
But no, wars, instability, various atrocities, all forms of abuse can't explain poverty, diseases, and low human development. It must be IQ for sure :bjarte:

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Another country which is extremely poor is Afghanistan. It also has a "colorful" history:
Soviet troops in Gardez, Afghanistan in 1987
In April 1978, the People's Democratic Party of Afghanistan (PDPA) seized power in the Saur Revolution, a coup d'état against then-President Mohammed Daoud Khan. The PDPA declared the establishment of the Democratic Republic of Afghanistan, with its first President named as Nur Muhammad Taraki.

Opposition to PDPA reforms, such as its land redistribution policy and modernization of (traditional Islamic) civil and marriage laws, led to unrest which aggravated to rebellion and revolt around October 1978, first in eastern Afghanistan (see Initiation of the insurgency in Afghanistan 1978). That uprising quickly expanded into a civil war waged by guerrilla mujahideen against regime forces countrywide. The Pakistani government provided these rebels with covert training centers, while the Soviet Union sent thousands of military advisers to support the PDPA regime.[51] As early as mid-1979 (see CIA activities in Afghanistan), the United States were supporting Afghan mujahideen and foreign "Afghan Arab" fighters through Pakistan's ISI.[52]

Meanwhile, increasing friction between the competing factions of the PDPA — the dominant Khalq and the more moderate Parcham — resulted (in July–August 1979) in the dismissal of Parchami cabinet members and the arrest of Parchami military officers under the pretext of a Parchami coup.

In September 1979, President Taraki was assassinated in a coup within the PDPA orchestrated by fellow Khalq member Hafizullah Amin, who assumed the presidency. The Soviet Union was displeased with Amin's government, and decided to intervene and invade the country on 27 December 1979, killing Amin that same day.

A Soviet-organized regime, led by Parcham's Babrak Karmal but inclusive of both factions (Parcham and Khalq), filled the vacuum. Soviet troops in more substantial numbers were deployed to stabilize Afghanistan under Karmal, and as a result the Soviets were now directly involved in what had been a domestic war in Afghanistan (of mujahideen against PDPA government),[53] which war from December 1979 until 1989 is therefore also known as the Soviet–Afghan War. The United States, supporting the Afghan mujahideen and foreign "Afghan Arab" fighters since mid-1979 through Pakistan's ISI,[52] and Saudi Arabia, from now on delivered for billions in cash and weapons, including two thousand FIM-92 Stinger surface-to-air missiles, to Pakistan as support for the anti-Soviet mujahideen.[54][55]
Uhm... :bjarte:
Mujahideen leaders came together in Peshawar, Pakistan, to negotiate such a government, but mujahideen Hezbi Islami's leader Gulbuddin Hekmatyar, presumably supported by ISI, refused to meet other leaders. On 16 April 1992, four Afghani government Generals ousted President Najibullah. Little later, Hezbi Islami invaded Kabul. This ignited war in Kabul on 25 April with rivalling groups Jamiat and Junbish in which soon two more mujahideen groups mingled; all groups except Jamiat were supported by an Islamic foreign government (Saudi Arabia, Iran, Uzbekistan) or intelligence agency (Pakistan's ISI).[69][70][71] In 1992–95, Kabul was heavily bombarded and considerably destroyed, by Hezbi Islami, Jamiat, Junbish, Hizb-i-Wahdat, and Ittihad; in that period, half a million Kabuli fled to Pakistan.[72] In January–June 1994, 25,000 people died in Kabul due to fighting between an alliance of Dostum's (Junbish) with Hekmatyar's (Hezbi Islami) against Massoud’s (Jamiat) forces.[73] Also other cities turned into battleground.

In 1993–95, (sub-)commanders of Jamiat, Junbish, Hezbi Islami and Hizb-i-Wahdat descended to rape, murder and extortion.[70][74][72] The Taliban emerged in September 1994 as a movement and militia of Pashtun students (talib) from Islamic madrassas (schools) in Pakistan,[72][75] pledged to rid Afghanistan of 'warlords and criminals',[76] and soon had military support from Pakistan.[77] In November 1994 the Taliban took control of Kandahar city after forcing local Pashtun leaders who had tolerated complete lawlessness.[72] The Taliban in early 1995 attempted to capture Kabul but were repelled by forces under Massoud. Taliban, having grown stronger, in September 1996 attacked and occupied Kabul after Massoud and Hekmatyar had withdrawn their troops from Kabul.[78][79]
Ehm.... :bjarte:
n December 2001, after the Taliban government was overthrown, the Afghan Interim Administration under Hamid Karzai was formed [...]
Shortly after their fall from power, the Taliban began an insurgency to regain control of Afghanistan. Over the next decade, ISAF and Afghan troops led many offensives against the Taliban, but failed to fully defeat them. Afghanistan remains one of the poorest countries in the world due to a lack of foreign investment, government corruption, and the Taliban insurgency.[100][101]
Ah. Nah, it can't be political and social instability due to wars and civil wars. It must be IQ. :twatson:

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

iq_by_country.png
(25.17 KiB) Downloaded 251 times
https://iq-research.info/en/average-iq-by-country
IQ by country. Just 'cause I'm contrary. Though I agree that the things that keep a country down can be quite complex, and I would never dismiss regressive cultural ideas as being a large factor.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Bhurzum wrote: New slice of pie...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUfxkuC8b2o
I didn't think this country could produce a more feckless Home Secretary than Jacqui Smith, then came Theresa May and I thought well there can never be anyone worse than her surely. Then we get this useless piece of shit Amber 'jolly hockeysticks' Rudd. :doh:

Waiting in the wings? ..... Diane 'abacus' Abbott. :pray:

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Fuck the Afghans and the Congolese, if they were more clever they wouldn't have Belgium or the US or France or Saudi Arabia or Pakistan or the Soviet Union fucking over their countries anyway, it's their own fault for living in a shithole country. All a matter of low IQ, unlike the west which is so incredibly smart and put upon. The US and Australia are the real victims here. :violin:

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Terry Firma back at TFA kicking ass & taking names: moslem woman denied French citizenship for refusing to shake the hand of male official at her citizenship ceremony. The usual suspects are defending her.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyat ... tizenship/

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote: iq_by_country.png
IQ by country. Just 'cause I'm contrary. Though I agree that the things that keep a country down can be quite complex, and I would never dismiss regressive cultural ideas as being a large factor.
Are the differences in IQ a cause or an effect of shitty living conditions?

I'm not sure that the IQ depression isn't due at least in part to wars, diseases, and malnutrition:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... rition.png

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Terry Firma back at TFA kicking ass & taking names: moslem woman denied French citizenship for refusing to shake the hand of male official at her citizenship ceremony. The usual suspects are defending her.

I actually agree with the French government in this case. Not shaking the hands of people of the opposite sex is a distinctive trait of the Salafis, and a clear expression of a lack of will to integrate and assimilate within a secular society.

Guest_3bc53337

Post by Guest_3bc53337 »

In the shithole nation vs. IQ argument which is the cause and which is the effect?

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Far from all muslims refuse to shake the hands of people of the opposite sex. Hell, most non-Salafi muslims didn't even think about this before the Salafi propaganda took hold. Of course there's a lot of material which the fundamentalists can use to justify the refusal to shake hands from the ahadith and even the Qu'ran, but it's far from a norm, even in many Muslim-majority countries.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

I remember being amused at work by an employees name - but apparently it was well established and honorable clan.

Shitole

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Guest_3bc53337 wrote: In the shithole nation vs. IQ argument which is the cause and which is the effect?
Good question. Since most of the "shithole" countries have a long history of diseases, famines, lack of access to clean water, malnutrition, wars, etc. etc., I'd wager that it's the horrible living conditions which are keeping IQ score down. We know that malnutrition in children leads to lower IQ scores:
Previous work has shown that malnutrition has deleterious effects on both IQ and aspects of temperament. It is hypothesized that while malnutrition bears a direct relation to IQ, aspects of temperament are also involved in a mediating role so that they produce indirect associations between malnutrition and IQ. The study examines the association of 3 indices of malnutrition-stunting, anemia and wasting-to Verbal IQ (VIQ) and Performance IQ (PIQ) and temperament in 1,376 3-year-old and 11-year-old children in Mauritius. Two dimensions of temperament were extracted from ratings of behavior and were labeled as Uninhibited (UI) and Task Orientation (TO). At age 3 stunting had direct relations to Verbal IQ and Performance IQ and also indirect relations via the mediating effect of temperament (UI but not TO). In the case of anemia there were no direct relations to VIQ or PIQ but both temperament meditators were involved in indirect relations. For wasting, indirect but not direct relations were observed. When age 11 cognitive performance was examined, there were direct relations to stunting and anemia and indirect relations via UI, but not TO. The relations between malnutrition and IQ were graded and linear showing that it is not only when malnutrition is defined by its severest levels that it has an effect on cognitive performance. It is suggested that malnutrition affects those brain structures and functions that are involved in both cognitive behavior and temperament.
We also know that infectious disease affects IQ scores as well
Before our work, several scientists had offered explanations for the global pattern of IQ. Nigel Barber argued that variation in IQ is due primarily to differences in education. Donald Templer and Hiroko Arikawa argued that colder climates are difficult to live in, such that evolution favors higher IQ in those areas. Satoshi Kanazawa suggested that evolution favors higher IQ in areas that are farther from the evolutionary origin of humans: sub-Saharan Africa. Evolution, the hypothesis goes, equipped us to survive in our ancestral home without thinking about it too hard. As we migrated away, though, the environment became more challenging, requiring the evolution of higher intelligence to survive.

We tested all these ideas. In our 2010 study, we not only found a very strong relationship between levels of infectious disease and IQ, but controlling for the effects of education, national wealth, temperature, and distance from sub-Saharan Africa, infectious disease emerged as the best predictor of the bunch. A recent study by Christopher Hassall and Thomas Sherratt repeated our analysis using more sophisticated statistical methods, and concluded that infectious disease may be the only really important predictor of average national IQ.

Support for this hypothesis comes not only from cross-national studies, but from studies of individuals. There have been many studies, for example, showing that children infected with intestinal worms have lower IQ later in life. Another study by Atheendar Venkataramani found that regions in Mexico that were the target of malaria eradication programs had higher average IQ than those that were not. In practical terms, however, this means that human intelligence is mutable. If differences in IQ across the world are largely due to exposure to infectious disease during childhood, then reducing exposure to disease should increase IQ.
It's likely that both contribute to IQ depression in Sub-Saharan Africa and (to a lesser extent) in the Middle East.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Based on the nation-by-nation list at that site, all of sub-saharan Africa and the Caribbean are classified as Mildly Mentally Retarded:
... IQ score ranges from 50-75, and they can often acquire academic skills up to the 6th grade level. They can become fairly self-sufficient and in some cases live independently, with community and social support.
https://medical-dictionary.thefreedicti ... y+retarded

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

MarcusAu wrote: I remember being amused at work by an employees name - but apparently it was well established and honorable clan.

Shitole
I knew a Bosco Tang.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Terry Firma back at TFA kicking ass & taking names: moslem woman denied French citizenship for refusing to shake the hand of male official at her citizenship ceremony. The usual suspects are defending her.

Easy victim to get behind for the SJ/fems again, she's a woman AND a Muslim, imagine if it were t'other way round they would have a real problem of who to put in the victimhood pigeon hole. Oppressed Muslim 'refugee' refused entry because "waycism" or Misogynistic sexist pig offends all womenkind by not shaking a woman's hand.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Guest_3bc53337 wrote: In the shithole nation vs. IQ argument which is the cause and which is the effect?
Good question. Since most of the "shithole" countries have a long history of diseases, famines, lack of access to clean water, malnutrition, wars, etc. etc., I'd wager that it's the horrible living conditions which are keeping IQ score down. We know that malnutrition in children leads to lower IQ scores:
Previous work has shown that malnutrition has deleterious effects on both IQ and aspects of temperament. It is hypothesized that while malnutrition bears a direct relation to IQ, aspects of temperament are also involved in a mediating role so that they produce indirect associations between malnutrition and IQ. The study examines the association of 3 indices of malnutrition-stunting, anemia and wasting-to Verbal IQ (VIQ) and Performance IQ (PIQ) and temperament in 1,376 3-year-old and 11-year-old children in Mauritius. Two dimensions of temperament were extracted from ratings of behavior and were labeled as Uninhibited (UI) and Task Orientation (TO). At age 3 stunting had direct relations to Verbal IQ and Performance IQ and also indirect relations via the mediating effect of temperament (UI but not TO). In the case of anemia there were no direct relations to VIQ or PIQ but both temperament meditators were involved in indirect relations. For wasting, indirect but not direct relations were observed. When age 11 cognitive performance was examined, there were direct relations to stunting and anemia and indirect relations via UI, but not TO. The relations between malnutrition and IQ were graded and linear showing that it is not only when malnutrition is defined by its severest levels that it has an effect on cognitive performance. It is suggested that malnutrition affects those brain structures and functions that are involved in both cognitive behavior and temperament.
We also know that infectious disease affects IQ scores as well
Before our work, several scientists had offered explanations for the global pattern of IQ. Nigel Barber argued that variation in IQ is due primarily to differences in education. Donald Templer and Hiroko Arikawa argued that colder climates are difficult to live in, such that evolution favors higher IQ in those areas. Satoshi Kanazawa suggested that evolution favors higher IQ in areas that are farther from the evolutionary origin of humans: sub-Saharan Africa. Evolution, the hypothesis goes, equipped us to survive in our ancestral home without thinking about it too hard. As we migrated away, though, the environment became more challenging, requiring the evolution of higher intelligence to survive.

We tested all these ideas. In our 2010 study, we not only found a very strong relationship between levels of infectious disease and IQ, but controlling for the effects of education, national wealth, temperature, and distance from sub-Saharan Africa, infectious disease emerged as the best predictor of the bunch. A recent study by Christopher Hassall and Thomas Sherratt repeated our analysis using more sophisticated statistical methods, and concluded that infectious disease may be the only really important predictor of average national IQ.

Support for this hypothesis comes not only from cross-national studies, but from studies of individuals. There have been many studies, for example, showing that children infected with intestinal worms have lower IQ later in life. Another study by Atheendar Venkataramani found that regions in Mexico that were the target of malaria eradication programs had higher average IQ than those that were not. In practical terms, however, this means that human intelligence is mutable. If differences in IQ across the world are largely due to exposure to infectious disease during childhood, then reducing exposure to disease should increase IQ.
It's likely that both contribute to IQ depression in Sub-Saharan Africa and (to a lesser extent) in the Middle East.
Whatever the causes, bottom line is, vast swathes of the globe are filled almost entirely with mongs.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Based on the nation-by-nation list at that site, all of sub-saharan Africa and the Caribbean are classified as Mildly Mentally Retarded:
... IQ score ranges from 50-75, and they can often acquire academic skills up to the 6th grade level. They can become fairly self-sufficient and in some cases live independently, with community and social support.
https://medical-dictionary.thefreedicti ... y+retarded
Looking at the IQ world map again I'm rather skeptical of the results. I expect that Sub Saharan Africa suffers from SOME degree of IQ depression due a lot of factors. But the stats seem off. I've met a lot of people from the DRC and Nigeria, and unless they only sent their geniuses to Europe, the average scores from those countries are way too low. Also the stats from educational achievement of Nigerian immigrants to the US back me up (although in this case there probably IS some degree of selection for competence and intelligence, due to the strict requirements to immigrate to the US):
According to the United Census Bureau, 4 percent of Nigerians hold the Ph.D. degree compared to 1% of the general US population. 17% of Nigerians hold the Master degree and a whopping 37% have the Bachelor's degree. Since the mid-20th century particularly, after Nigeria gained independence, many modern Nigerian immigrants have come to the United States to pursue educational opportunities in undergraduate and post-graduate institutions. In the 1960s and 1970s after the Biafra War, Nigeria's government funded scholarships for Nigerian students, and many of them were admitted to American universities. While this was happening, there were several military coups, interspersed with brief periods of civilian rule. The instability resulted in many Nigerian professionals emigrating, especially doctors, lawyers and academics, who found it difficult to return to Nigeria.[11]
*googles Richard Lynn and Tatu Vahnanen*

Ah, here's more information:
Some criticisms have focused on the limited number of studies upon which the book is based. The IQ figures are based on 3 different studies, one study in 34 nations, and two studies in 30 nations. There were actual tests for IQ in 81 nations. For 104 nations there were no IQ studies at all and IQ was estimated based on IQ in surrounding nations.[2] The limited number of participants in some studies has also been criticized. A test of 108 9- to 15-year-olds in Barbados, of 50 13- to 16-year-olds in Colombia, of 104 5- to 17-year-olds in Ecuador, of 129 6- to 12-year-olds in Egypt, and of 48 10- to 14-year-olds in Equatorial Guinea, all were taken as measures of national IQ.[3]
So it seems like that map is based on results which aren't really that accurate. The part in bold (mine) is especially bad. "Estimating" average national IQ from the "surrounding nations" is a HUGE handwave. Take the results of that map with a pinch of salt.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Whatever the causes, bottom line is, vast swathes of the globe are filled almost entirely with mongs.
I expect SOME degree of IQ depression, but the stats in the map are probably way off. Lynn and Vahnanen "estimated" the IQ of many nations from other surrounding nations, and also based some of their results on limited samples. So I'm not taking those numbers for granted.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
MarcusAu wrote: I remember being amused at work by an employees name - but apparently it was well established and honorable clan.

Shitole
I knew a Bosco Tang.
I also worked with a Turkish guy - with a name that sounded like a rain of fish: Tayfun Tuna.

nb I don't think this is doxxing as when I googled the name - there were quite a few hits - so obviously it's a fairly common name.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

By the way, I've found this piece of criticism of Lynn and Vahnanen's work:
Jelte M. Wicherts wrote:Although these estimates of national IQ are claimed to be "highly valid" (Rushton, 2003, p. 368) or "credible" (McDaniel, 2008, p. 732) by some authors, the work by Lynn (and Vanhanen) has also drawn criticism (Barnett & Williams, 2004; Ervik, 2003; Hunt & Carlson, 2007; Hunt & Sternberg, 2006; Lane, 1994). One point of critique is that Lynn (and Vanhanen)'s estimate of average IQ among Africans is primarily based on convenience samples, and not on samples carefully selected to be representative of a given, targeted, population (Barnett & Williams, 2004; Hunt & Sternberg, 2006). Unfortunately, in many developing countries, such representative samples are lacking (McDaniel, 2008).

A literature review is necessarily selective. Despite Lynn's objective of providing a "fully comprehensive review of the evidence" (Lynn, 2006, p. 2), a sizeable portion of the relevant literature was not considered in both his own review, and in reviews with Vanhanen. Nowhere in their reviews did Lynn (and Vanhanen) specify the details of their literature search. Our own searches in library databases resulted in additional relevant studies that may be used to estimate national IQ. For instance, Lynn and Vanhanen (2006) accorded a national IQ of 69 to Nigeria on the basis of three samples (Fahrmeier, 1975; Ferron, 1965; Wober, 1969), but they did not consider other relevant published studies that indicated that average IQ in Nigeria is considerably higher than 70 (Maqsud, 1980a,b; Nenty & Dinero, 1981; Okunrotifa, 1976). As Lynn rightly remarked during the 2006 conference of the International Society for Intelligence Research (ISIR), performing a literature review involves making a lot of choices. Nonetheless, an important drawback of Lynn (and Vanhanen)'s reviews of the literature is that they are unsystematic. Unsystematic literature reviews do not adhere to systematic methodology to control for potential biases in the many choices made by the reviewer (Cooper, 1998; Light & Pillemer, 1984). Lynn (and Vanhanen) failed to explicate the inclusion and exclusion criteria they employed in their choice of studies. Such criteria act as a filter, and may thus affect the estimate of national IQ. Lynn (and Vanhanen) excluded data from several sources without providing a rationale. For instance, they used IQ data from Ferron (1965), who provided averages in seven samples of children from Sierra Leone and Nigeria on a little-known IQ test called the Leone. For reasons not given, Lynn (2006) and Lynn and Vanhanen (2006) only used data from the two lowest scoring samples from Nigeria. Most of the remaining samples show higher scores, but those samples were not included in the estimation of the national IQ of Nigeria and Sierra Leone. Likewise, Lynn (and Vanhanen) did not consider several relatively high-scoring African samples from South Africa (Crawford Nutt, 1976; Pons, 1974). It is unfortunate that Lynn (and Vanhanen) did not discuss their exclusion criteria. In some cases (Crawford Nutt, 1976; Pons, 1974), the Raven's Progressive Matrices was administered with additional instruction. Although this instruction is quite similar to an instruction as described in the test manual (Raven, Court, & Raven, 1996), some have argued that this instruction artificially enhances test performance (cf. Rushton & Skuy, 2000). Given the likely differences in opinion on which samples to include or exclude in a review, inclusion and exclusion criteria should be explicated clearly and employed consistently. It is well known that unsystematic literature reviews may lead to biased results (Cooper, 1998; Light & Pillemer, 1984). Another problem is that the computation of statistics in literature reviews is quite error-prone. Indeed Lynn's work contains several errors (Loehlin, 2007).
So basically that map is based on cherry picking low scores, especially in Sub-Saharan African countries. It's likely garbage.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

The people who manage the IQ website should be ashamed of having based their map on the work of Lynn and Vahnanen, who have cherry picked data and have been unsystematic in their approach. That map needs THOROUGH revisiting.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Fuck me, but I'm in a particular sour mood this morning.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyat ... 3868397615

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

MarcusAu wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:

Shitole
I knew a Bosco Tang.
I also worked with a Turkish guy - with a name that sounded like a rain of fish: Tayfun Tuna.

nb I don't think this is doxxing as when I googled the name - there were quite a few hits - so obviously it's a fairly common name.
And don't forget the adorable Tuna Kunt!

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Fuck me, but I'm in a particular sour mood this morning.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyat ... 3868397615
Well Mr. Right wing thug, do you think breastfeeding in public is the same as whipping out a dick? Answer the question!

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

This identity stuff is getting more and more mundane. Who would have thought that not being interested in sex or romance was a lifestyle or a lack of a lifestyle. Or you could be a grey ace, meaning you identify as ace but are in a relationship and engage in sex from time to time.
I've brought this up before but does Siggy possibly look like Ed Grimley's son?