MarcusAu

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

Post by MarcusAu »

I'm keeping two chevrons apart...

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

MarcusAu wrote: does anyone thing that Pimms also tastes a little like jellybeans once you get more than 2/3's into the bottle?
No idea, dude, I'm heterosexual.

http://wanna-joke.com/wp-content/upload ... il-gif.gif

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

I bought a shirt today.

What is houndstooth?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

InfraRedBucket wrote: An interesting take on Peterson by someone who knew him well.

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/2018/05 ... erous.html
The long knives come out. A rambling ad hominem, revealing that JBP is arrogant and believes in dream interpretation. I knew that already.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

MarcusAu wrote: I bought a shirt today.

What is houndstooth?
wi-fi for dogs.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

MarcusAu wrote: I know that the received wisdom about Ozso but does anyone thing that Pimms also tastes a little like jellybeans once you get more than 2/3's into the bottle?

By the way - I love all you guys...
Pimms and surf guitar don't mix. Be a man and drink ouzo.

feathers

Post by feathers »

MarcusAu wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 6:10 am
I bought a shirt today.

What is houndstooth?
Any one of these.

https://secure.i.telegraph.co.uk/multim ... 16017a.jpg

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

SM1957 wrote:
Shatterface wrote:
Lsuoma wrote: It's demonstrably not on every major newspaper and online site, it just isn't so your claim is BS.
So you found some sites where it isn't reported, so it must be a ban. The numerous links to sources that do report it don't count because it isn't headline news on Teen Vogue and Den of Geek.

And he's been arrested as a warning to others but the warning can't get out because of the ban on reporting his arrest because logic.
http://www.breitbart.com/london/2018/05 ... gang-trial

The numerous links to sources that do report it tend to be even more right-wing and fascist than Breitbart, who pulled the story.

Stormfront is talking about it - but not the BBC or Sky

Thus proving that Tommy Robinson is a fascist
Well it's still on those more fascist than Breitbart outlets such as Metro, The Independent, The Sun and Evening Standard
It appears they didnt get the memo or are incompetent.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/6376643/t ... ing-trial/
https://metro.co.uk/2018/05/25/tommy-ro ... e-7579280/
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/t ... 48486.html
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/c ... 68821.html

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

I'm beginning to reget everything...

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

MarcusAu wrote: I bought a shirt today.

What is houndstooth?
A blowjob from Rebecca Watson.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Is this fucking normal...?

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

However on the Robinson case, a UK tweeting barrister is indicating "temporary" restrictions are in place .

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Ape+lust wrote: The title of Peez's upcoming opus:

How It Got That Way
What Happened was taken already.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Ape+lust wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 8:25 pm
The title of Peez's upcoming opus:

How It Got That Way

(Scrub back to 0:00 if you want to watch a minute of a Boston Terrier watching TV)

I think this is the way he'll bumblefuck himself into Happy Atheist II. He's suddenly very taken with seeing himself on YouTube.

Of course, it's the wrong medium for the wrong guy. Meanwhile, a year will go by in a snap. He'll be s-o-o-orry.

So he is abandoning the atheism thing and writing a PopSci book on devlopmental biology? I can't see this going very well. Firstly, it will require a bit more effort over the coming year than writing "gods: LOL!" a hundred times. As you point out, that is unlikely to happen given his weird recent decision to get his blancmange face and busted-flute voice onto YouTube a lot more. Secondly, a contentious history is almost required for an atheist author but could be a problem for one wanting to have a semi-academic book taken seriously by the public.

Anyway, all the best to you, Meyers. May your book have all the success that you deserve.

John D

Post by John D »

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

"Marxism, a respectable political and philosophical tradition"
No, it's a fucking joke, that completely misunderstands human nature. I'm not sure how one could be a serious researcher of human emotions & behavior and also editor of a marxist rag. But Schiff pulled it off.

I have a trans daughter, but that was hardly an issue compared to what I felt was a betrayal of my trust and confidence in him. It was an abuse of the trust that comes with his professorial position, which I had fought for...
Oh, you trusted him to agree with you on every point cuz you hired him?

... to have misrepresented gender science by dismissing the evidence that the relationship of gender to biology is not absolute....
Jesus Christ, people, make up your minds. You can't claim your gender ID is something you're born with (biological), then say it's not biological when it suit you.

The scientific evidence is overwhelming that one's sex and one's identification thereof are intrinsically linked -- 99.7% in humans and likely nearly 100% in animals; that gender dysphoria is a symptom of a mental disorder, in some cases possibly the result of embryological misfirings; that 'gender' is at best a neologism of limited use, at worst a reification into a non-existent brain function.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Do I really need to watch an hour and half of that creepy old man to find out the premise of How It Got That Way is?

Mr. X, Indeed

Post by Mr. X, Indeed »

feathers wrote:
Mr. X, Indeed wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 11:46 am
So Uber had disabled the emergency braking feature in that fatality a few months ago. Doesn't look good for them.

Well....
digitaltrends.com wrote:According to the NTSB report, the pedestrian, dressed in dark clothing and pushing a bicycle, did not look in the direction of the oncoming Uber vehicle “until just before impact.” The pedestrian stepped into a section of the road with no direct illumination. Signs at the point where the pedestrian started to cross the road warned pedestrians to use a crosswalk 360 feet distant. Toxicology test results of the pedestrian after the crash were positive for marijuana and methamphetamine.

The bicycle also had no side reflectors. The front and rear reflectors and headlamp were perpendicular to the oncoming vehicle as the pedestrian pushed the bicycle across the road.
Same link
The 2017 Volvo was equipped with factory driver assistance features including automatic braking, driver alert detection, and road sign detectors. The factory assistance features are disengaged when the Uber self-driving system controls the modified Volvo.

The NTSB report stated that, according to Uber, the self-driving system is designed to rely on the vehicle operator to take action when needed, but the system does not alert the operator.
The car was set up to recognize an emergency situation but does nothing about it.

NTSB Report
According to Uber, the developmental self-driving system relies on an attentive operator to intervene if the system fails to perform appropriately during testing. In addition, the operator is responsible for monitoring diagnostic messages that appear on an interface in the center stack of the vehicle dash and tagging events of interest for subsequent review.
The driver had to both watch the road and monitor and tag diagnostics on the dash.

John D

Post by John D »

I just now noticed this.

BoxNDox

Post by BoxNDox »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
InfraRedBucket wrote: An interesting take on Peterson by someone who knew him well.

The long knives come out. A rambling ad hominem, revealing that JBP is arrogant and believes in dream interpretation. I knew that already.
That's the most pathetic thing I've read in quite a while.

It's not that JBP is perfect - if nothing else he has some really screwy ideas - some of which are bit concerning. But this sort of nastiness is not remotely helpful.

The only real question is what motivated him to write it. Jealousy maybe? Google Scholar sez that Schiff's thing was the study of the relationship between facial muscle movements and emotion. Not exactly earth-shattering.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

Watching the various livestreams of the protests for Tommy Robinson has been pretty worrying. A large crowd has formed, the usual chants and calls have begun and the police, predictably, have begun to kettle the crowd. This could turn nasty.

The sweet sound of hickory upon nasal cartilage in 3...2...1...

http://wanna-joke.com/wp-content/upload ... at-guy.jpg

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

BoxNDox wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:

That's the most pathetic thing I've read in quite a while.

It's not that JBP is perfect - if nothing else he has some really screwy ideas - some of which are bit concerning. But this sort of nastiness is not remotely helpful.

The only real question is what motivated him to write it. Jealousy maybe? Google Scholar sez that Schiff's thing was the study of the relationship between facial muscle movements and emotion. Not exactly earth-shattering.
Specifically, that forcing facial expressions could induce the emotions associated with them. That is admittedly interesting. Or was, when it came out in the 'Sixties.

In Statement Analysis, when someone leads with a denial, that indicates the opposite. Schiff leads the gender pronoun topic with:
I have a trans daughter, but that was hardly an issue....
So, uh, yeah, that's his primary issue.

I think for Schiff, Peterson went from rocking the academia boat in obscurity, to rocking the broader SJW hegemony in the limelight. (And from doing the former in frumpy professorial duds to the latter in snazzy bespoke mafia suits and $500 boots.)

Peterson scares the living daylights out of these pinko commie bedwetters, cuz they realize the mortal threat he poses to them. Precisely because he's not the right-wing nut job they accuse him of being. He's centrist, highly articulate, and willing to say out loud what the majority of people have been beaten or threatened into silence about. The gig is up and they know it. Their counterattacks will only get nastier as they get more desperate.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

In that strange video CH20 linked with Peez showing off his card game collection, Peez omitted his own famous invention.

"We'll do the sex thing later."

https://imgur.com/munC48V.jpg

He should forget the book and publish Evolutionary Poker. It would be the most excitingly dangerous thing he ever did.

https://imgur.com/IA8Ble0.jpg

Guest_b8931fdb

Post by Guest_b8931fdb »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 9:41 am
In Statement Analysis, when someone leads with a denial, that indicates the opposite. Schiff leads the gender pronoun topic with:
I have a trans daughter, but that was hardly an issue....
So, uh, yeah, that's his primary issue.
I think both could be true, it wasn't an issue, and still his primary issue.

Peterson has said that he does refer to people IRL with their preferred pronouns,
Newman: Let me move on to another debate that’s been very controversial for you. And this is, you got in trouble for refusing to call “trans-men” and “women” by their preferred personal pronouns.

Peterson: No. That is not actually true. I got in trouble, because I said I would not follow the compelled speech dictates of the Federal and Provincial governments. I actually never got in trouble for not calling anyone anything.

... ha gotcha portion elided ...

Newman: You have voluntary, … You have voluntarily come into the studio and agreed to be questioned. A trans-person in your class, has come to your class and said they want to be called “she”.

Peterson: That’s never happened. And I would call them “she”.

Newman: So you would? So you’ve kind of changed your tune a little bit, …

Peterson: No. No. I said that right from the beginning. What I said at the beginning, was that I was not going to cede the linguistic territory to radical leftists. Regardless of whether, or not, it was put in law. That’s what I said. Then the people who came after me said:

“Oh, you must be transphobic! And you’d mistreat a student in your class.”

It’s like, I never mistreated a student in my class. I’m not transphobic, and that isn’t what I said.

Newman: Well, you’ve also called trans-campaigners “authoritarian“, haven’t you? I mean, isn’t that, …

Peterson: Only in the broader context of my claims that radical leftist ideologues are “authoritarian“. Which they are!

IE, it wasn't an actual IRL issue, although I read his essay same as you and thought, aha, this is the big issue, protecting his kid, and that he was misrepresenting Peterson's statement.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Is Watson still alive?

In a manner of speaking.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

I think this counts as THOT-crime.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Hey Bear,

Here is your happy couple. I fear though he may be a player.

http://i.imgur.com/yv6utd8.jpg

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Cavan
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Do I really need to watch an hour and half of that creepy old man to find out the premise of How It Got That Way is?
Don't worry, Ape and I will continue watching the filthy bastard so you don't have to. Though I must admit, much more of this "wanna come to my house and play a game?" delivered in a pedo's voice, and I might have to sit it out for a while.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Brive1987 wrote: Hey Bear,

http://i.imgur.com/yv6utd8.jpg
Well he looks to be of Aryan stock at least. I hope he at least runs a DNA test on her before he invests any of his precious white sperm though. Every time I see Faith's fat lips and swarthy features I get more and more certain that there is either a Tunisian or a Jordanian somewhere in the woodpile.

free thoughtpolice

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
Brive1987 wrote: Hey Bear,

[.IMG]http://i.imgur.com/yv6utd8.jpg[/IMG]
Well he looks to be of Aryan stock at least. I hope he at least runs a DNA test on her before he invests any of his precious white sperm though. Every time I see Faith's fat lips and swarthy features I get more and more certain that there is either a Tunisian or a Jordanian somewhere in the woodpile.
You would get a kick from her video yesterday. She went hippy in Toronto and pushed a petition seeking support for the proposition:

“We must secure the existence of our people and a future for aboriginal children”

She got a liberal conga-line forming to sign it. :lol:

Give her marks for Chutzpah. Maybe she is Ethiopian Jew?

free thoughtpolice

Give her marks for Chutzpah. Maybe she is Ethiopian Jew?
I had considered possible Jew content, but unless her guy that might possibly marry her is a doctor or a dentist, I don't think she's smart enough to be a Jewess.
As for the slogan "We must secure the existence of our people and a future for aboriginal children" I'd sign it too. But then, I'm a liberal.
Not into conga lines though.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

PZ Meyers: making Native American trinkets is cultural appropriation.

https://i.imgur.com/Ckd5v1Y.png

Also PZ Meyers: a sweaty Midwesterner buying, using, and talking about Japanese paper screens is just fine.

https://i.imgur.com/V6AjMNi.png

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

I missed watching PZ's social demise. I'm glad that's returned to our regular programming here.

I wonder if his books come out someone will regurgitate all the youtube videos out there of him being a lechy little cunt to women 1/3 his age.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

For posterity...
Brive1987 wrote: “We must secure the existence of our people and a future for aboriginal children”

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote: PZ Meyers: making Native American trinkets is cultural appropriation.

Also PZ Meyers: a sweaty Midwesterner buying, using, and talking about Japanese paper screens is just fine.

One guy spent years studying the ways of an ancient, far-off people, recreating their tools and artifacts. He hopes to share what he's learned with his community.

The other guy spent his Saturday fishing for reasons to hate an Englishman he's never met. He shares what he's learned with the gnat-cloud of misanthropes who surround him.

One guy makes mayonnaise.

The other is a woke-as-fuck academic, former Humanist of the Year.

Sorry, Mr Les Atkins of Walsall, West Midlands. You are precisely what's wrong with the sick, arrogant West.

Just wait until Caine shows up. You'll be shitting porcupine for a month.

free thoughtpolice

He worked in a mayonaisse factory!
Of course he knew at the time creamy white mayo was a hate salad dressing but that didn't deter him.
The. Scumbag.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 4:48 pm
PZ Meyers: making Native American trinkets is cultural appropriation.

He calls out this guy but not Caine? Fucking tribalist.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

Brive1987 wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 2:20 pm
Is Watson still alive?

In a manner of speaking.

But she swears "Dear Muslima" isn't relevant. First world problems everywhere.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

While we have been sleeping (or otherwise occupied)...Of course the world didn’t stand still. The world grew...

...or at least there was an AMA for Dr. Jordan Peterson on reddit (which I am assuming most of us missed).

Plenty of points for discussion there. Though it's possible that I'm too stubborn for it to change my mind.

And on that note, I'm off to make tracks.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

I don't know why I did this and I won't claim it makes any sense.

You can't argue with the math, tho.

https://imgur.com/s7CNQOW.jpg

dog puke

Post by dog puke »

Ape+lust wrote: I don't know why I did this and I won't claim it makes any sense.

This math deserves the Nobel Prize.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

dog puke wrote:
Ape+lust wrote: I don't know why I did this and I won't claim it makes any sense.

This math deserves the Nobel Prize.
Thank you!

I'll hitch a ride with The Donald to pick it up :D

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Yikes. Forgot to trim it. Sorry!

SM1957

Post by SM1957 »

PZ Myers is a Cardinal in the new religion.

The new religion is about signalling just how totally woke you are to racism, while not lifting a finger to help a black person.

https://www.the-american-interest.com/2 ... -activism/

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

SM1957 wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 11:57 pm

The new religion is about signalling just how totally woke you are to racism, while not lifting a finger to help a black person.

Very good essay. This part sums it up:
The self-affirming part is the rub. This new cult of atonement is less about black people than white people. Fifty years ago, a white person learning about the race problem came away asking “How can I help?” Today the same person too often comes away asking, “How can I show that I’m a moral person?” That isn’t what the Civil Rights revolution was about; it is the product of decades of mission creep aided by the emergence of social media.

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

MarcusAu wrote: While we have been sleeping (or otherwise occupied)...Of course the world didn’t stand still. The world grew...

...or at least there was an AMA for Dr. Jordan Peterson on reddit (which I am assuming most of us missed).

Saw that. Had a browse. if you google you find he did one a year ago too, though things may have er... moved on from then.
At the latest, he was pulled up a bit about the POMO basically = Marxism , and what the former actually is.

Can't find the quotes at the mo,

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
SM1957 wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 11:57 pm

Very good essay. This part sums it up:
The self-affirming part is the rub. This new cult of atonement is less about black people than white people. Fifty years ago, a white person learning about the race problem came away asking “How can I help?” Today the same person too often comes away asking, “How can I show that I’m a moral person?” That isn’t what the Civil Rights revolution was about; it is the product of decades of mission creep aided by the emergence of social media.
People just need to get the fuck over racism and history shit.

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

MarcusAu wrote: While we have been sleeping (or otherwise occupied)...Of course the world didn’t stand still. The world grew...

Plenty of points for discussion there. Though it's possible that I'm too stubborn for it to change my mind.

And on that note, I'm off to make tracks.
I was following this before I went to bed.

My feeling is that he received a good deal of criticism from other academic types, and ignored almost all of it or gave flippant/dismissive responses.

I'm sure everyone is going to jump to point out how they are all jealous or politically opposed to him, and I suppose that's true to some extent. However a good deal of the points raised are legitimate and ought to be answered.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

I don't think he had time to write more, flipping through. There were some long questions which included videos, etc... how do you respond when you only have a certain amount of allotted time? I suspect he took the more personal easy to answer questions.

He talks to criticism in a lot of other things, so I think he may well look to this in future longer-form speeches/etc.

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

One problem is as a lecturer (almost charismatic preacher) he's used to delivering content and not getting questioned about the details , at
least by people who could give an alternative informed view. Hence the "watch my video" so I don't have to answer direct questions.
When Johnathan Haidt questioned a couple of assertions he made in an interview, he backed off. He often doesnt practice what he preaches, eg " be careful what words you use" . "the other person may know more than you" . For a lot of people , right or wrong, he's their only second or third hand knowledge of pomo, Marxism, Foucault et al.
He needs better interviewers.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

The only thing I've seen or read of Peterson's is the debate he had with that English journalist.

I am aware he was unsympathetic to zirs and recommends you clean your room.

Apart from that zip.

I feel pretty special.

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

InfraRedBucket wrote: One problem is as a lecturer (almost charismatic preacher) he's used to delivering content and not getting questioned about the details , at
least by people who could give an alternative informed view. Hence the "watch my video" so I don't have to answer direct questions.
When Johnathan Haidt questioned a couple of assertions he made in an interview, he backed off. He often doesnt practice what he preaches, eg " be careful what words you use" . "the other person may know more than you" . For a lot of people , right or wrong, he's their only second or third hand knowledge of pomo, Marxism, Foucault et al.
He needs better interviewers.
I really think this speaks to the problem.

Peterson has rolled a bunch of oppositional stances (anti-feminism, anti-totalitarianism), and cultural identities (men, whites, conservatives) together and spun a narrative about who is responsible for what ails them.

It's a kind of nebulous gestalt which is maintained by the strong feelings of persecution from the identity groups involved, and it *very much depends* on them not really understanding the things he has identified as 'the enemy'. He avoids defining these things in any ostensive way, it's always 'those bloody neo-marxists', 'the humanities', and any other number of ways of saying 'THEM'.

SO we end up with:
1: An identity movement.
2: Angry, disenfranchised people.
3: A conspiratorial perspective on the world.
4: An emphasis on social narrative.

Remind us of anything?

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

Oh, and by the way, Tommy Robinson has probably handed the defendants a mistrial. Nice one whooooooa Tommy! Tommy Tommy! etc

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

DrokkIt wrote: Oh, and by the way, Tommy Robinson has probably handed the defendants a mistrial. Nice one whooooooa Tommy! Tommy Tommy! etc
Are you a Far Right Watch soy boy?

I wish them luck as my understanding was they were already found guilty.

Actually they can get their luck from somewhere else.

SM1957

Post by SM1957 »

DrokkIt wrote: Oh, and by the way, Tommy Robinson has probably handed the defendants a mistrial. Nice one whooooooa Tommy! Tommy Tommy! etc
A mistrial? Were they arrested on one charge,then tried and sentenced to 13 months in jail on a different charge, without being allowed to call any witnesses, all in less than 3 hours?

feathers

Post by feathers »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 8:06 pm
He worked in a mayonaisse factory!
Of course he knew at the time creamy white mayo was a hate salad dressing but that didn't deter him.
The. Scumbag.
Making mayonnaise is cultural appropriation of the French. Or possibly even the Spanish. God knows how many people are being erased because you have to eat mayo!

SM1957

Post by SM1957 »

Brive1987 wrote:

A mistrial just means another trial. Bill Cosby knows that.

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

Brive1987 wrote:

My source was Nazir Afzal: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazir_Afzal in short a very senior lawyer who prosecuted the Rochdale case.
But I guess, no, of course it's because I'm a soyboy or whatever. Get that fucking lens off, not everyone who objects to TR is a neomarxist commie anti-west degenerate cuck.