There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

Old subthreads
fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

Post by fuzzy »

free thoughtpolice wrote: Trudeau criticized the US over their handling of migrants and Trump almost immediately makes an about face and vows to change the policy.
Trump is a weakling. A loser.
I guess that makes Killary more of a loser.

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

Kirbmarc wrote:
rayshul wrote: Only 10-5% of the kids in detention have parents who came with them.
This might be true, but even with these numbers in the long term you're looking for a cumulative effect.
Such a statistic would certainly put the lie to the "separating family" tantrum the left is tossing, though, "if true"...

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Fegg wrote:
MarcusAu wrote: I'd also be really interested to know if his definition of a 'True' atheist as being psychotic has widespread support in the psychiatric / psychological communities or organisations that he is a member of.
I don't know, but you might look at Theodore Parker's sermon on "practical atheism" to see where Peterson is coming from.

https://books.google.ca/books?id=UY0OAAAAIAAJ
I wouldn't presume to guess where he is coming from - even though he tends to practice the fine art of 'implausible deniability'.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

fuzzy wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote: Trudeau criticized the US over their handling of migrants and Trump almost immediately makes an about face and vows to change the policy.
I guess that makes Killary more of a loser.
Killary would have taken the kids and sent them to be sex slaves on Mars. You know, put the little bastards to work.

Fegg

Post by Fegg »

MarcusAu wrote: I wouldn't presume to guess where he is coming from - even though he tends to practice the fine art of 'implausible deniability'.
I don't think it is a guess. If he hasn't read Parker, he has read others influenced by him.

B.

John D

Post by John D »

Trump is gonna cave in on this one.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/06 ... order.html

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

free thoughtpolice wrote: Killary would have taken the kids and sent them to be sex slaves on Mars at Comet Ping Pong. You know, put the little bastards to work.
FTFY

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

John D

Post by John D »

You actually have to serve these fuckers with eviction notices? Haha. In the states the cops would give them two hours to leave or they would drag them all to jail and take their campers (we call them campers... not caravans... a camper is something you spend a week in.... a caravan is something you live in forver but just move into other people's property with).

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

John D wrote: Trump is gonna cave in on this one.

Ha-ha. He is a loser, and just when you said you support him. :P

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

InfraRedBucket wrote:
Watched the Dillahunty "conversation" the other week as Peterson works his "Considerably more sceptical than you skeptics" trick. but he's actually implied that the recurrent snake motif from ancient history/legends is actually a representation
of the structure of DNA (ie these cultures somehow "knew" the structure before Crick & Watson), citing a book " The Cosmic Serpent: DNA and the Origins of Knowledge Paperback –by Jeremy Narby
This is bordering on Von Daniken crackpot theories.

Fully agree with you: Dillahunty has his regressive tendencies, but he knows apologism when her hears it. Again, really felt Peterson dodged him repeatedly, and when he sees a trap coming he either gets vague OR adopts a self-important authoritative tone and just says he's right because myths.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:05 am

It's Fox News, a notoriously Left-wing den of Pomo Marxists, so I'll wait to see what Breitbart say before I believe it.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

More Lefties out to get Trump:
How to Fight Inhumane Immigration Policies? Better Smugglers

Improving smuggling efforts isn't ideal, but it's better than just watching kids get torn from their families.

Christopher Brown/Polaris/NewscomOn Sunday, immigrants and their supporters rallied at Phoenix's Central United Methodist Church against the Trump administration's policy of criminal prosecution of border-crossers and the resulting separation of thousands of children from their families. Instead of concessions from the administration, though, they got the dispatch of Wisconsin National Guard troops to bolster Customs and Border Patrol agents.

Good for the protesters. But they might be well-advised to redirect at least some of their efforts away from demonstrations and instead put resources into more effectively and humanely smuggling migrants into the country past the border checkpoints.

The treatment of the migrants, which has involved the confinement of children in sparse, chain-link enclosures (appropriately dubbed "cages" in some circles), is seen by critics as a cruel bit of political arm-twisting on the part of the administration. Trump and company mean to extract a harder-line immigration policy from lawmakers as the price of ending the prosecutions and separations. As the Los Angeles Times asks in an editorial, "What's next, holding a gun to their heads and saying, 'Don't make me shoot'?"

Please, don't give the politicians ideas.

Americans, by and large, don't like the sight of sobbing children dragged away from their parents. "American voters oppose 66–27 percent the policy of separating children and parents when families illegally cross the border into America," a Quinnipiac poll (PDF) released yesterday reports. But much of that 27 percent consists of the president's increasingly nativist Republican base. Voters may well punish the GOP at the ballot box for its current leader's conduct in November and in 2020, but what does Trump care? Having first supported the Queens Democratic machine, and later the post–Ross Perot Reform Party, Trump has never demonstrated loyalty to anything or anybody beyond the boundaries of his own ego (though he certainly demands it of others).

To the extent that the hardline 27 percent has a rationale for its support of separating migrant families beyond raw nativism, it's based on scare stories about gangsters using children as beards to gain access to the United States.

"In the first five months of fiscal year '18, CBP saw a 315 percent increase in individuals using children to pose as family units to gain entry into the country compared to fiscal year '17. Smugglers and drug traffickers know the loopholes well, and they know that if they reach our borders, they will be released into our country and evade the consequences of their criminal action," the Department of Homeland Security's Jonathan Hoffman told reporters last month.

Well...OK. Technically, an increase from 46 bogus families to 191 bogus families does constitute more than a quadrupling of such incidents. But those 191 rent-a-families get lost in the wash of people intercepted by U.S. officials. "Even given the increased number of alleged smugglers this fiscal year and the decreased number of family units, those smugglers, those traffickers, those MS-13 members make up only 0.61 percent of the total number of family units apprehended at the border," notes the Washington Post's Philip Bump.

Which is to say, it's not junior sicarios populating those chain-link enclosures (though that would make for a movie I'd definitely pay to watch).

Republicans in Congress and around the country seem to be balking at the administration's border policy—whether out of principle or out of fear for their political careers doesn't really matter. But they still have to consider a nativist party base that might well cut them off at the knees for opposing Trump before general election voters ever have a crack at them. That leaves a legislative resolution to the cruel border policy a very uncertain thing—even before we consider the likelihood of a presidential veto.

Not that the folks who rallied at the Central United Methodist Church and their counterparts across the country shouldn't continue to try to change hearts and minds—and policy. Legal reform is the only way to guarantee some degree of decent treatment for migrant families that isn't subject to prosecutorial discretion or some other flavor of official whim. Exchanging criminal prosecutions for civil proceedings (an approach often favored in the past) would be a good first step.

"The law also provides for the use of civil penalties, as well as criminal ones. While it states that the application of civil penalties does not preclude application of criminal ones, it also does not compel federal prosecutors to pursue both," wrote George Mason University's Ilya Somin at The Volokh Conspiracy, which is hosted at Reason. "Until the administration's recent policy change, civil proceedings were in fact the usual approach in case of families with minor children, under both Democratic and Republican administrations."

Making it easier for migrants to enter—and leave—the country at will, to seek work and return to their homes and families as they often have in the past, would be a better step still. Historically, fewer people bothered to uproot their loved ones when they could easily cross the border back and forth.

But that looks like a distant hope, right now. We should work for it, sure, but we should also consider approaches that don't require legislative changes and majority approval Those changes would include better means for getting migrants across the border and past the watchful eyes of Border Patrol, National Guard, and nativists. Immigrants and their supporters should give some thought, and effort, to improved smuggling channels that treat migrants better than the existing criminal networks, and offer them a better chance of success.

That's a step beyond the "sanctuary city" declarations of refuge for migrants that already has the Trump administration fulminating. But so what? If hardline federal policy is worth undermining, it's worth sabotaging in a host of ways. And an underground railroad for migrants would do just that by harnessing the ingenuity and resources of private groups and public officials that already oppose the current administration to more directly confront its policies.

Improving smuggling efforts is a less ideal solution than getting officialdom off migrants' backs, but it's better than just watching kids get torn from their families. And the way things are going in this country, we may someday need access to reasonably humane smuggling channels to get ourselves across the border in reverse.
http://reason.com/archives/2018/06/20/f ... mmigration

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Shatterface wrote:

It's Fox News, a notoriously Left-wing den of Pomo Marxists, so I'll wait to see what Breitbart say before I believe it.
I am actually really unhappy about this. Once again Congress doesn't have to act so nothing changes.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

I reckon some of Peterson's moderate christian (or atheist) fans are one bad trip away from believing in a literal hell (or heaven I suppose) if they follow his example re: psychedelics.

I also get the feeling that he sees religion / god as a kind of necessary placebo - which is why atheists (if they exist at all) must be countered at every opportunity.

John D

Post by John D »

comhcinc wrote:
Shatterface wrote:

I am actually really unhappy about this. Once again Congress doesn't have to act so nothing changes.
I agree. In general I am not happy that the POTUS has so much power.... that was basically given to the office by a do nothing congress.

SM1957

Post by SM1957 »

Is it true that Obama had to wrap children in tin foil before they would go in his cages?

http://dailycaller.com/2018/06/19/photo ... facilities

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

MarcusAu wrote: I reckon some of Peterson's moderate christian (or atheist) fans are one bad trip away from believing in a literal hell (or heaven I suppose) if they follow his example re: psychedelics.

I also get the feeling that he sees religion / god as a kind of necessary placebo - which is why atheists (if they exist at all) must be countered at every opportunity.
He certainly is given to the claim that any interlocutor he is faced with "isn't an atheist" because "belief is what you act out". Which is, in my view, actually stupid.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

SM1957 wrote: Is it true that Obama had to wrap children in tin foil before they would go in his cages?

The daily caller is being disingenuous. It's conflating the detaining family (which Obama did) with detaining parents and kids separate.

SM1957

Post by SM1957 »

comhcinc wrote:
SM1957 wrote: Is it true that Obama had to wrap children in tin foil before they would go in his cages?

The daily caller is being disingenuous. It's conflating the detaining family (which Obama did) with detaining parents and kids separate.
I guess if you are in a cage, that really makes a difference.

Not all those children seem to have parents with them. Lock them up. That's what I say.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

https://i.imgur.com/ZxZ1xrg.png

Paul Price is a 59-year-old Romany Gypsy who makes a living from selling scrap metal stealing copper wiring from rail signals and old people's houses

Fixed that for them.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

That's Trump's MO; create a problem, solve the problem, then expect accolades. He's the arsonist who wants to be called a hero because he puts out his own fires. The thing is that it works. I really expect Trump to get a second term.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

SM1957 wrote:
comhcinc wrote:

Not all those children seem to have parents with them. Lock them up. That's what I say.
I think that's a reasonable assumption. Never mind the parents but think of the kids. They have traveled hundreds of miles, often on foot to get to a place with a bunch of scary looking guys with guns who do not speak your language. They then for reasons you probably don't understand, lock you in a cage.
Giving that scenario it would probably help you if your parents were still nearby.

And I say that not fully agreeing or disagreeing that we should be doing this. I am just stating that I completely understand people's concerns and anger over this. I do still maintain that these kids ARE victims. I just disagree with most people who are causing their issues. I blame the parents.

katamari Damassi

MarcusAu wrote: I reckon some of Peterson's moderate christian (or atheist) fans are one bad trip away from believing in a literal hell (or heaven I suppose) if they follow his example re: psychedelics.

I once worked with a Laotian woman who was convinced that we are already in hell because if we die and go to someplace worse, "God isn't being fair to us." I have to admit I thought she had a point.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

katamari Damassi wrote: I really expect Trump to get a second term.
At this point, I do too. Democrats have convinced themselves that Trump won because of Russian facebook ads or something like that. Trump's numbers are low (like before the election) but not move down. The Dems will just assume they are going to win. Again.
#MAGA4LIFE

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

SM1957 wrote: How can you be rejected by UKIP? That is quite an accomplishment!
Well, the BNP managed that when they offered an electoral pact with UKIP 10 years ago , this was when UKIP were potentially a more significant political force electorally.
UKIP says it has "unanimously rejected" an offer from the British National Party for an electoral pact at next year's European elections.

It says ex-tennis star Buster Mottram, a UKIP member who claimed to represent the BNP, made the "astonishing offer" at a meeting in London on Monday.

Under the deal the BNP would fight seats in the north while UKIP would focus on the south in the elections.

The BNP said a deal made sense. UKIP says it would not work with the BNP.
The UK Independence Party, which campaigns for Britain to withdraw from the European Union, says Mr Mottram has since been expelled from the party.

'No deal'

UKIP leader Nigel Farage said: "There are no circumstances, no possible situations, in which we would even consider doing any type of deal with the BNP whatsoever.

"I'm simply amazed that the BNP thought we would even consider such a thing, given that we are a non-racist, non-sectarian party."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7706857.stm

and I think Farage/UKIp tried to "detoxify" the party (at try to appear to) by making a rule that you couldn't be a BNP or (possibly ex BNP member as well) and join UKIP.
Didnt stop the many other cranks and weirdos who ended up in the party

I thought Duckula et all trying to join UKIP was a kind of entryism joke , like the Tories who paid their £3 to join labour to vote Corbyn in.

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
https://i.imgur.com/ZxZ1xrg.png

Paul Price is a 59-year-old Romany Gypsy who makes a living from selling scrap metal stealing copper wiring from rail signals and old people's houses

Fixed that for them.
I wonder if he's got a scrap metal sellers licence (required by UK law) and never takes cash payment for scrap (illegal)? and keeps records for 3 years ..... :roll: :think:
https://www.gov.uk/scrap-metal-dealer-registration

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

DrokkIt wrote:

He certainly is given to the claim that any interlocutor he is faced with "isn't an atheist" because "belief is what you act out". Which is, in my view, actually stupid.
When Susan Blackmore asked for a behavior of hers that betrays a belief in God, he told her: You write books. Judeo-Christianity is the "culture of the Book" and she is expressing the The Logos with her writing. He thought this was a self-evident gotcha, saying: You write books, but you say you don't believe in God.... (smirking) Wellllll, okay.

:twatson:

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
Ape+lust wrote: Creepy old Peez has decided "wacky" works best. His Crazy 1972 TV Pitchman is turning into a fixture on his channel.
All of this because he got a haircut he doesn't like. We've all known for years that he has a massively over-inflated opinion of his intellect, but it is really weird to discover this pride in his physical self.
:lol:

It's crazy, innit? I would never have guessed his looks would be his weak point. I always thought his hard-man act was real, because it makes sense - if you're going to be a toughguy, you'd better be able to take your lumps. And anyways, who gives a shit about what online trash talkers say about your face?

Then a couple of years ago, he posted that mopey, almost-weepy lament about being ridiculed for his looks. It was so out of character, I thought he was yanking chains. But nope, he was having a by-god vulnerable moment, and needed comfort and assurance from the Pharyngula hyenas :shock:

Damn, Peez. You not just ugly, you weak-kneed too :lol:

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

In the beginning was the Word. If you use Words you must believe in God.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

MarcusAu wrote: Redo the math - I count two tranny's in that picture.
Rebecca's formula doesn't concern itself with trans-species :snooty:

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

I don't begrude Peterson's efforts to help people - but some of this stuff really does venture into square peg in round hole territory.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Shatterface wrote: In the beginning was the Word. If you use Words you must believe in God.
Sorry, I can't hear you over the blare of your unacknowledged piety.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Fucking Universities...

Inspiration quote in email to students: "One cannot permit unique opportunities to slip by for the sake of trifles."

Turns out it was from Erwin Rommel. Result?
The National Union of Students said Jewish students are feeling "increasingly unsafe" at university, and often avoid applying to certain campuses due to "fears of anti-Semitism".

"Exeter must take appropriate action to rectify the damage caused and provide sufficient reassurances that something like this will never happen again," it added in a statement.
Fucking pussies - this is why I know I'll have a job as long as I want it - I'm not reduced to a quivering wreck by finding out that something good came from someone who shook hands with Mr Hilter.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

MarcusAu wrote: I don't begrude Peterson's efforts to help people - but some of this stuff really does venture into square peg in round hole territory.
I think if the Left had spent less time portraying Peterson as the Antichrist and more on him as a proselytising Christian they'd have done more damage.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:54 pm
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:03 pm
Brive1987 wrote: Is the difference that Canada places arrested illegals into community housing (with benefits) for years while America puts illegals into jail without their kids until they plead guilty and are fucked off whence they came? Or is this an unfair characterisation?
LOL. We either feed them lunch then drive them back across the border, or release them on their own recognizance on a promise to show up for their court date.
Confused. Isn’t the whole child thing happening because 1000’s of mums and dads are now in jail?

For breaking the law ...
They stopped 'catching & releasing' and started actually enforcing the law, you see. Which is literally as bad as the platform at Auschwitz or the African slave trade.
“Ramp”. You don’t get to mine my nazi-club iconography with impunity

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

It’s only a problem if you assume the policy was to inflict maximum harm on families rather than simply charge all adults breaking the law without granting general release.

It looks like he is trying to achieve the latter while removing the necessity to do the former. Win win. It’s the art of the deal.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

When my mother died six years ago I inherited her siamese cats, a brother and sister who were then ten years old. The sister died of cancer in March 2017, and today I had to take the brother for his final journey to the vet as he had ascites, uremia and massive weight loss. Both were talkative and demanding, and loved to sleep inside our bed. I shall miss their company. I have to say though, hard as it is to do, giving them a peaceful end with no pain or struggle is such a comfort. I should hope someone will do the same for me one day.
Jade.jpg
(122.94 KiB) Downloaded 213 times
Opal.jpg
(71.54 KiB) Downloaded 206 times

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Lsuoma wrote: Fucking Universities...

Inspiration quote in email to students: "One cannot permit unique opportunities to slip by for the sake of trifles."

The National Union of Students said Jewish students are feeling "increasingly unsafe" at university, and often avoid applying to certain campuses due to "fears of anti-Semitism".

"Exeter must take appropriate action to rectify the damage caused and provide sufficient reassurances that something like this will never happen again," it added in a statement.
Fucking pussies - this is why I know I'll have a job as long as I want it - I'm not reduced to a quivering wreck by finding out that something good came from someone who shook hands with Mr Hilter.
Hard to believe the same tribe that spawned the likes of Lenny Bruce, Al Goldstein, and Abbie Hoffmann also begat these ninnies. One space that's guaranteed to be unsafe is the inside of a jail cell. Yet, plenty of American Jews chose jail over shutting their big fucking mouths and we're better for it.

It's a sad joke that these kids almost certainly style themselves as activists, resisters, rebels, protesters, etc, etc.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

screwtape wrote: When my mother died six years ago I inherited her siamese cats, a brother and sister who were then ten years old. The sister died of cancer in March 2017, and today I had to take the brother for his final journey to the vet as he had ascites, uremia and massive weight loss. Both were talkative and demanding, and loved to sleep inside our bed. I shall miss their company. I have to say though, hard as it is to do, giving them a peaceful end with no pain or struggle is such a comfort. I should hope someone will do the same for me one day.

Jade.jpg

Opal.jpg
I've always loved having siamese cats too. (They look to be seal points - and not cross-eyed). You might have washed their faces before taking the photos though.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

screwtape wrote: When my mother died six years ago I inherited her siamese cats, a brother and sister who were then ten years old. The sister died of cancer in March 2017, and today I had to take the brother for his final journey to the vet as he had ascites, uremia and massive weight loss. Both were talkative and demanding, and loved to sleep inside our bed. I shall miss their company. I have to say though, hard as it is to do, giving them a peaceful end with no pain or struggle is such a comfort. I should hope someone will do the same for me one day.

Jade.jpg

Opal.jpg
Jeezus, that's a lovely cat. Siamese are annoying twerps, but they really get under your skin, so personable.

I'm sorry, screwtape. My condolences.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Ape+lust wrote:

Jeezus, that's a lovely cat. Siamese are annoying twerps, but they really get under your skin, so personable.

I'm sorry, screwtape. My condolences.
Same here, screwtape. Beautiful kid you have there, and I'm sorry you had to say goodbye today. But as you know, you gave him a good ending to the mad chase.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Ape+lust wrote:
Lsuoma wrote: Fucking Universities...

Hard to believe the same tribe that spawned the likes of Lenny Bruce, Al Goldstein, and Abbie Hoffmann also begat these ninnies. One space that's guaranteed to be unsafe is the inside of a jail cell. Yet, plenty of American Jews chose jail over shutting their big fucking mouths and we're better for it.

It's a sad joke that these kids almost certainly style themselves as activists, resisters, rebels, protesters, etc, etc.
You left someone out.

https://media1.tenor.com/images/ede79e2 ... id=6107506

https://78.media.tumblr.com/501fefbbd1f ... o1_400.gif

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Ape+lust wrote:
DrokkIt wrote:

When Susan Blackmore asked for a behavior of hers that betrays a belief in God, he told her: You write books. Judeo-Christianity is the "culture of the Book" and she is expressing the The Logos with her writing. He thought this was a self-evident gotcha, saying: You write books, but you say you don't believe in God.... (smirking) Wellllll, okay.

:twatson:
I don't think you can reduce that exchange to the way you've portrayed it. Susan Blackmore had just asserted that she makes a practice of reminding herself that nothing she says or does has any point or meaning. Peterson's response highlighted that she was behaving as-if bothering to write a book was in-some-way 'better' than not bothering to write a book. As if it 'mattered'. Then he drew the connection between Logos and christian belief, as an extra victory-lap.

In context, he was meeting her at her own level of discourse. It's far from clear that, as you insinuate, that he's just spewing crazy proclamations, untethered from a solidly-argued basis.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Oh yeah, the Humungous Hebe, the Hook-nosed Hammer, the Meshugganah Meatsack, the... (google-google-google)...

Bill Goldberg? What? :lol:

Pleased to meetcha, Bill. Say hi to the missus :D

Really?

Post by Really? »

SM1957 wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:28 pm
comhcinc wrote:

Ackshually, there are far more unaccompanied minors detained than have been children separated from their families.

https://www.factcheck.org/2018/06/qa-on ... -children/

Everyone is freaking out about 4,000 kids in detention centers...Obama had 70,000 in one year, according to left wing Mother Jones.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/20 ... l-america/

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Service Dog wrote: I don't think you can reduce that exchange to the way you've portrayed it. Susan Blackmore had just asserted that she makes a practice of reminding herself that nothing she says or does has any point or meaning. Peterson's response highlighted that she was behaving as-if bothering to write a book was in-some-way 'better' than not bothering to write a book. As if it 'mattered'. Then he drew the connection between Logos and christian belief, as an extra victory-lap.

In context, he was meeting her at her own level of discourse. It's far from clear that, as you insinuate, that he's just spewing crazy proclamations, untethered from a solidly-argued basis.
I still don't get it. I'll need to go back and watch it, but I don't recall his saying that writing as if it mattered was the crux of his point. He went on about the culture and people of The Book and how it extended back thousands of years as if she was unwittingly indulging in a practice that had a scope that was larger than she knew. It seemed he was doing more than tacking on a bit for a victory lap.

Of course though, I could've misunderstood him. That's happens to me often enough.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

That’s sad news, commiserations. Sounds like they had a prodigious life though.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

What we need, to cheer ourself up, is a nice conceptual defence of western patriarchy.

katamari Damassi

Jade.jpg

Opal.jpg
Sorry screwtape. I know how hard it is to lose a beloved pet.
My mother took in a stray once. My father insisted it stay in the garage but in a few weeks it had run of the whole house.
When my mother died a few years after, that cat-who was never named because she was supposed to be temporary-was his companion. When I came to stay with him after I got of Peace Corps, the cat was very old and in a bad way-bones and fur, horrible diarrhea. I had to take it to vet for an exam and she told me the cat was dying probably from cancer. My father could not euthanize her. He held on to her until the house stunk so much you could smell it coming up the walk. He finally gave in and took her to the vet. By that time I was living in DC. I was talking on the phone to my sister who told me that he had taken the cat's remains to the cemetery to "bury her with mom." I thought he had lost his mind. I had this mental image of him being arrested in the cemetery, holding a spade and a dead cat. What really happened is he took the cat's ashes and mixed them with the dirt in the flower vase by the head stone.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Sorry for the lousy image quality, these aren't mine. They're needed because Lily Madigan deleted his tweets, so the thread no long exists as a unit.

Hipsters have long self-diagnosed as autistic, but this is the first time I've seen talk about "identifying" as autistic.

https://imgur.com/I32RZhr.png

https://imgur.com/9R2kJhM.png

Here are the tweets by the critic cut off from the original thread. Note the "solution" given in reply to the first tweet.

https://imgur.com/aTnad6O.png

https://imgur.com/jSXoDwb.png

John D

Post by John D »

An excellent convo.... Shermer and Shapiro..... really.... surprisingly good.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

John D wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:27 am
Trump is gonna cave in on this one.

LOL. So the Flores Decree, which the lefties swore had nothing to do with the issue, all of a sudden is the problem that needs fixing.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Jade.jpg

Opal.jpg
So sorry. They are family

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Don't Siamese cats live quite a bit longer than normal cats? I recently had a cat pass on to the great kitty litter box in the sky, and he was 20. I thought he was ancient (he looked it), but Siamese can crank on until 30 or more.

SM1957

Post by SM1957 »

Why has there been a literal avalanche of fake pictures from Obama era of children held in prisons , cages and tinfoil etc by the Left, claiming these are children jailed by Trump?

I've even seen fake pictures of Honduran detention centres labelled as Arizona 2018 - Trump's fault.

Why do so many people on the Left never check any facts before posting?

From false rape stories in Rolling Stone to fake pictures of children in cages, the Left are turning into lying bastards.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

SM1957 wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:25 pm
Why has there been a literal avalanche of fake pictures from Obama era of children held in prisons , cages and tinfoil etc by the Left, claiming these are children jailed by Trump?

I've even seen fake pictures of Honduran detention centres labelled as Arizona 2018 - Trump's fault.

Why do so many people on the Left never check any facts before posting?

From false rape stories in Rolling Stone to fake pictures of children in cages, the Left are turning into lying bastards.
Well, Trump Derangement Syndrome covers much of it, but not all. Not by a long shot. Colour me astounded at the events of the last decade. People, generally speaking have gone completely insane.

SM1957

Post by SM1957 »

To be fair, there was such a thing as Obama Derangement Syndrome.

Fake news on the right is often of the type '1000 refugees were attacking women at Cologne station', which the editor of Der Spiegel dismissed as a fairy story worthy of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.

It turned out that they weren't all refugees, not by a long way.

Trump himself recently spread fake news about rising crime rates in Germany. Fake, fake.... Thefts of bicycles are down 10 percent. It's only murders which have increased.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Shatterface wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:28 pm
In the beginning was the Word. If you use Words you must believe in God Gates.
Fixed.

feathers

Post by feathers »

MarcusAu wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:23 pm
I've always loved having siamese cats too. (They look to be seal points - and not cross-eyed).
They look like the spawn of Satan.