There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

Old subthreads
Hunt

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

Post by Hunt »

screwtape wrote: Screen Shot 2018-06-28 at 9.13.50 AM.png

I watched 'Farmlands' last night, and was bewildered to hear a member of the government declare that expropriation of the white farmers' lands would be perfectly legal as they would pass laws making it legal. Thus the legal is conflated with the moral by the elision of the connecting reasoning. Mrs Screwtape is planning a trip to SA next year for a conference and I'd like to make her aware that this might not be the safest place to go, but she's alert enough to recognise Lauren Southern's name and will probably dismiss the documentary as far right propaganda, and I shall have to live with the opprobrium of being guilty of wrongthink. It seems there is little chance of finding any reporting of the subject in more mainstream media. I'm not sure her usual trick for African travels will work there (she wears longer than fashionable skirts and a rather prominent crucifix, so people assume she's a nun).
I'm sure Muscato will be happy to supply enough body shavings to construct a fake beard so she can pass as a man.

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

Seems like Brive has been taking a lot of flac at the pit lately. Well, I was just on stormfront reading the posts of random idiots, and it turns out he and the Republican party have a cunning plan to turn their image around with cryptobiology. You might argue that these posts don't represent either Brive or the Republican party, but let me remind you that they have similar positions on immigration, and the people who wrote this stuff were almost certainly white: the same race as Brive and most of the Republican party! Coincidence? You decide!
Stormfront idiots.jpg
(294.69 KiB) Downloaded 672 times

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Old_ones wrote: Seems like Brive has been taking a lot of flac at the pit lately. Well, I was just on stormfront reading the posts of random idiots, and it turns out he and the Republican party have a cunning plan to turn their image around with cryptobiology. You might argue that these posts don't represent either Brive or the Republican party, but let me remind you that they have similar positions on immigration, and the people who wrote this stuff were almost certainly white: the same race as Brive and most of the Republican party! Coincidence? You decide!

Stormfront idiots.jpg
Becky Watson is into cryptozoology conspiracies. :think:

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

Shatterface wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:07 pm
The sun pops out for a few days in the UK. Pink News is angry:

The heatwave is dangerous for gender non-conforming people

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2018/06/26/d ... er-travis/
It's also dangerous for us melanin non-containing people.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

DrokkIt wrote:
Shatterface wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:07 pm
The sun pops out for a few days in the UK. Pink News is angry:

The heatwave is dangerous for gender non-conforming people

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2018/06/26/d ... er-travis/
It's also dangerous for us melanin non-containing people.
It's your own fault wiping out the original inhabitants(ie Cheddar Man).

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:08 am
Old_ones wrote: Seems like Brive has been taking a lot of flac at the pit lately. Well, I was just on stormfront reading the posts of random idiots, and it turns out he and the Republican party have a cunning plan to turn their image around with cryptobiology. You might argue that these posts don't represent either Brive or the Republican party, but let me remind you that they have similar positions on immigration, and the people who wrote this stuff were almost certainly white: the same race as Brive and most of the Republican party! Coincidence? You decide!

Stormfront idiots.jpg
Becky Watson is into cryptozoology conspiracies. :think:
Lots of pitters, too:
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=511

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Stormfront idiots.jpg

Stormfront idiots.jpg
Bigfoot and Nazism? Surely that's Vicky Caramel... :twatson:

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

It's all clear now. Bigfoot is a Nazi. We need a golem to defeat the bastard.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/imag ... CL567Ma6Oh

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

Kirbmarc wrote:

Stormfront idiots.jpg
I think we need a root cause analysis to examine this strange connection. Here is an infographic on the subject that I constructed from baseless assertions:

Pit IQ.jpg
(117.08 KiB) Downloaded 641 times

Suet Cardigan

Post by Suet Cardigan »

Old_ones wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:

Stormfront idiots.jpg
I think we need a root cause analysis to examine this strange connection. Here is an infographic on the subject that I constructed from baseless assertions:

Pit IQ.jpg
I have to make the obvious joke: you've accidentally put Rebecca Watson above the chimpanzee.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Old_ones wrote:

Someone always has to mention the "ID Debate". :)

I avoided reality TV tonight and put together my March of the Red Pill:

Dedicated to abusive relationships everywhere.

:lol: :lol:

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

"IQ" Its late.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Double genocide.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Brive1987 wrote:
Old_ones wrote:

Someone always has to mention the "ID Debate". :)

I avoided reality TV tonight and put together my March of the Red Pill:

ht.tps://youtu.be/Ue5fGXTGdEQ

Dedicated to abusive relationships everywhere.

:lol: :lol:
Nice montage, but you accidentally made it look like the tanks in Syria were Trump's fault :twatson: That's one of the things which you can't honestly blame him for.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Brive1987 wrote: "IQ" Its late.
The estimate for my IQ is obviously too high since I'm not white or East Asians or a Jew and whites, Jews and East Asians have superior IQ :bjarte: Or at least that's what Dick Spencer said.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Driftless wrote: ...
Just finished. It did not change my view of the supernatural. Peterson is not arguing for the supernatural. There are transcripts of the lectures. Here is the first one:

https://jordanbpeterson.com/transcripts ... -series-i/

Here are some interesting quotes. On Moses and the ten commandments:
Moses goes up in the mountain, and he has this tremendous revelation in the sight of God. It illuminates him, and he comes down with the law. Moses acted as a judge—I know this is a mythological story—in the desert. He was continually mediating between people who were having problems, and he was constantly trying to keep peace.
On the stories in general:
The Bible stories—and I think this is true of fiction in general—is phenomenological. It concentrates on trying to elucidate the nature of human experience.
On fundamentalists:
To know that the Biblical stories have a phenomenological truth is really worth knowing. The poor fundamentalists are trying to cling to their moral structure. I understand why, because it does organize their societies and their psyche. So they've got something to cling to, but they don't have a very sophisticated idea of the complexity of what constitutes truth. They try to gerrymander the Biblical stories into the domain of scientific theory—promoting creationism, for example, as an alternative scientific theory. It’s like, that just isn’t going to go anywhere.
So he nowhere says these are the inerrant words of a supernatural being. In fact he is taking them as stories. He also talks about the bible being assembled over a long period by multiple authors. He does not say with "divine inspiration".

I do think he overstates the significance of the stories. I suspect you can take any mythology and make a case for the psychological significance of them. However, Jordan Peterson is not a Christian apologist from what I find here.
The fact that this topic has not drawn a response from other posters here - and only a delayed one from me - should probably be taken as a rough measure of how interesting people are finding it to be.

All I can say is that Peterson's mythical explanations are not for everyone - and these stories are open for interpretation. So it might be interesting to see him argue to the toss with someone that gives them a different spin but still finds them useful (a Satanist, or a fundamentalist for instance).

Moses abandoned the people (who seem more like children in the story) to go and consult with someone he alone could talk with. He then came back with a set of rules and rebuked the people for not obeying them even before they knew what the rules were. (They had decided to have a party and worship a golden calf). Moses then ground the tablets on which the new rules were written into dust, mixed it with water and forced everyone to drink it. After which he went back to get a second copy. At the very least it seems possible to see god & Moses as more than a little unreasonable.

I find the history of how the bible came about, and how it was understood in the societies at the time to be more interesting than what morals can perhaps be taken from it in a modern context (which tells you more about the person doing the telling). Just like if I was going to read it - it would be in the King James version rather than a modern english translation.

Being raised in religion these stories are not particularly new to me - and the re-telling to keep them relevant wears a bit thin.

But really if I want to be told what to think about religious tales there are no shortage of places to go.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Suet Cardigan wrote: I have to make the obvious joke: you've accidentally put Rebecca Watson above the chimpanzee.
And the poo.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

If the Bible is just a series of stories with a moral, what makes it different from Aesop's Fables (which are more enjoyable anyway)?

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

I'd like to see Peterson debate Paradise Lost with a LaVey Satanist who takes away a completely different message.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

I can not believe in talking tortoises and hares, but still understand that procrastinating and underestimating a rival aren't good ideas.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Shatterface wrote: I'd like to see Peterson debate Paradise Lost with a LaVey Satanist who takes away a completely different message.
Philip Pullman vs Jordan Peterson would also be interesting, considering how Pullman reinterpreted the Bible in the His Dark Materials trilogy.

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

screwtape wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:38 am
Screen Shot 2018-06-28 at 9.13.50 AM.png

I watched 'Farmlands' last night, and was bewildered to hear a member of the government declare that expropriation of the white farmers' lands would be perfectly legal as they would pass laws making it legal. Thus the legal is conflated with the moral by the elision of the connecting reasoning. Mrs Screwtape is planning a trip to SA next year for a conference and I'd like to make her aware that this might not be the safest place to go, but she's alert enough to recognise Lauren Southern's name and will probably dismiss the documentary as far right propaganda, and I shall have to live with the opprobrium of being guilty of wrongthink. It seems there is little chance of finding any reporting of the subject in more mainstream media. I'm not sure her usual trick for African travels will work there (she wears longer than fashionable skirts and a rather prominent crucifix, so people assume she's a nun).
No need to worry if a little caution is exercised.If she doesn't wander off into any dodgy areas chances are she'll be quite safe.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Old_ones wrote:
Fortunately the authorized seal confirms its accuracy.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Shatterface wrote:
Suet Cardigan wrote: I have to make the obvious joke: you've accidentally put Rebecca Watson above the chimpanzee.
And the poo.
I think the proper stacking order is:
1.BeckyBooze in a reverse cowgirl;
2. The Poo;
3. The chimp into Cleveland Steamers.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Kirbmarc wrote: Double genocide.
My life has been so much better ever since I stopped wasting my time over at that twat's blog.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Kirbmarc wrote: It's all clear now. Bigfoot is a Nazi. We need a golem to defeat the bastard.

It's all clear now: Bigfoot was Jerry Garcia.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

TheMudbrooker wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote: <snip>

For the conservative/reactionary right abortion is a genocide.

For the SJWs police shootings are a genocide.

For the alt-right immigration of non-white people is a genocide.

Everything is genocide these days.
People who think everything is genocide should all be rounded up and shot.
:lol: Nuke the lot of 'em - from orbit, just to be sure ... ;)

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Kirbmarc wrote: I can not believe in talking tortoises and hares, but still understand that procrastinating and underestimating a rival aren't good ideas.
You kind of have to frame your arguments, your pitches, to people - particularly children - in terms that they have some familiarity with. Toujours le analogies ...

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote: It's all clear now. Bigfoot is a Nazi. We need a golem to defeat the bastard.

That Jerry Garcia impersonator is actually Andre the Giant

https://media3.giphy.com/media/5DpF7t1WzLnCU/giphy.gif

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Kirbmarc wrote: If the Bible is just a series of stories with a moral, what makes it different from Aesop's Fables (which are more enjoyable anyway)?
Expect it speaks to a very different set of issues. You may wish to examine your premise, your axiom, that "the Bible is just a series of stories with a moral". ;-)

And you may also wish to take a gander - or a goose - at my earlier comment, the crux of which is:
But I think that's one of the worst aspects of the "Peterson phenomenon" - our tendency to "valorize opinions", as Alice Dreger recently phrased it in a general context, means Peterson very frequently winds up out of his depth; Emperor's New Clothes and all that.

Though I think he still makes some good points, even if they're kind of murky and badly stitched together. The facts of the matter are that we all have different interests and aptitudes and abilities to handle or comprehend different concepts - one doesn't start a child's education by trying to get them to understand quantum mechanics; arithmetic and times-tables aren't less true because they're basic. Likewise with many of the religious concepts Peterson is trying to promote; I think this quote of Dawkins from his The Selfish Gene kind of hits the nail on the head and provides a nice analogy:

Dawkins_SelfishGene_Sctn_1A.jpg
(102.75 KiB) Downloaded 525 times

Anthropomorphizing - "personifying" - the universe can be a be problematic, particularly if one gets overly literal, if it's not done with "due care and caution". But I think it can also provide some significant benefits - and not just to those "further back along the curve".

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:

A not unknown theory.

464322220-jerry_garcia_bigfoot.gif
(26.34 KiB) Downloaded 548 times

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

free thoughtpolice wrote: Old_ones wrote:
In some possibly related news, you might want to consider doing something like this ... ;-)

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:

A not unknown theory.

464322220-jerry_garcia_bigfoot.gif
Except Bigfoot could stay in tune.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Steersman wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote: Old_ones wrote:

In some possibly related news, you might want to consider doing something like this ... ;-)

Guys, I've doxxed Steersman, here's the pic:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/imag ... BwlEIlFelX

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

I think I'm starting to see the apeal of the supernatural...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTOMeJrmZlY

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

That show is great. Takes them forever to produce it but still great.

GO TEAM VENTURE!

Driftless

Post by Driftless »

Kirbmarc wrote: If the Bible is just a series of stories with a moral, what makes it different from Aesop's Fables (which are more enjoyable anyway)?
Aha! An Aesop apologist. You do know that there was never an actual race between a talking tortoise and a talking hare. Hang on, I think that intelligence chart needs to be adjusted. Just kidding. I agree that the bible stories are not necessarily any better "stories with a moral" than other myths.

I just find it interesting that people think Jordan Peterson is some kind of fundamentalist or biblical literalist. I think his lecture is hard to square with that theory.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Driftless wrote:
Aha! An Aesop apologist. You do know that there was never an actual race between a talking tortoise and a talking hare. Hang on, I think that intelligence chart needs to be adjusted. Just kidding. I agree that the bible stories are not necessarily any better "stories with a moral" than other myths.

I just find it interesting that people think Jordan Peterson is some kind of fundamentalist or biblical literalist. I think his lecture is hard to square with that theory.
I prefer Norse Mythology as told by Niel Gaiman. Get the audio book if you can.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Mythology?

I don't know about you - but I don't want to live in a universe where people weren't licked out of ice by a cosmic cow.

Don't crap on my dreams Com.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

If it weren't for Judyism the motown songbook would be much poorer.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Anyone know what Harlan Ellison's crimes against Peezus were? And why Meyers (and the Herd in the comments) are calling him an asshole yet granting him forgiveness?

If he touched ladies' bits without written consent, I am going to spontaneously jettison a liter of seminal fluid in excitement at their hypocrisy.

https://i.imgur.com/tnNb5N6.png

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Another shooting in the US, and the Twitter mob are angry, again.

Lots of Blue Ticks moaning about how Trump's language ("fake news") is behind the shooting in Annapolis, despite these shootings occuring on a regular basis for since Columbine.

Oh, and all these people moaning at Trump's language are the same ones saying "fuck civility". The hypocrites. You can't complain about Trump's "uncivil" language, and then say, "fuck civility".

PS: If you are reading this PZ Meyers: "Fuck off, smear honey around the rim of your arse, and then sit on a fucking wasps' nest". Fucking beard.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

MarcusAu wrote: Mythology?

I don't know about you - but I don't want to live in a universe where people weren't licked out of ice by a cosmic cow.

Look I didn't name the book. Just listen to it.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Well I've just jizzed:

From Wiki:
https://i.imgur.com/8vtijEx.png

Video:

Meyers must denounce!

(Hypocritical cunt.)

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote: Anyone know what Harlan Ellison's crimes against Peezus were?
Have talent?

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Commander, brace your britches with steel, and read my comments about the hypocritical maggot's fawning over a dead celebrity who touched titty without consent, but wrote some stuff that Meyers enjoyed.

Stankeye

Post by Stankeye »

comhcinc wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:38 pm
Driftless wrote:

I prefer Norse Mythology as told by Niel Gaiman. Get the audio book if you can.
I'm going to see him next year speak. I have no idea what he is going to speak about though. I'm also going to see Steers favorite Nazi Pinker speak as well, that's in October.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

comhcinc wrote:
MarcusAu wrote: Mythology?

Look I didn't name the book. Just listen to it.
Cross-dressing.
A short-shafted (though well formed) hammer.
Farting eagles.
Sex with dwarves.

Sounds like pure degeneracy to me.

(Besides which I've already listened to it).

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Stankeye wrote:

I'm going to see him next year speak. I have no idea what he is going to speak about though. I'm also going to see Steers favorite Nazi Pinker speak as well, that's in October.
MarcusAu wrote:
Cross-dressing.
A short-shafted (though well formed) hammer.
Farting eagles.
Sex with dwarves.

Sounds like pure degeneracy to me.

(Besides which I've already listened to it).
When asked who my favorite authors are I never think of him. But I have read and enjoyed everything he has ever written. I should probably start mentioning him and leave out Tabor Evans

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote: Anyone know what Harlan Ellison's crimes against Peezus were? And why Meyers (and the Herd in the comments) are calling him an asshole yet granting him forgiveness?
https://i.imgur.com/tnNb5N6.png
I Have No Alexa Ranking And I Must Scream

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: I Have No Alexa Ranking And I Must Scream
The Peezus that Shouted Crap at a Corner of the Internet.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Kirbmarc wrote:
A Professor and His Vulval Sea Slug

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Really? wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:
Repent Shitlord Said the SJW Man

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

katamari Damassi wrote:
Really? wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:
Repent Shitlord Said the SJW Man
Dishonorable Whoredom at a Thousandth of a Penny a Word

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Really? wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:
A Soyboy and His Blog?

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

These are all Dangerous Visions...

...but I don't have much to add.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

MarcusAu wrote:
Driftless wrote: ...
Just finished. It did not change my view of the supernatural. Peterson is not arguing for the supernatural. There are transcripts of the lectures. Here is the first one:

https://jordanbpeterson.com/transcripts ... -series-i/

Here are some interesting quotes. On Moses and the ten commandments:
Moses goes up in the mountain, and he has this tremendous revelation in the sight of God. It illuminates him, and he comes down with the law. Moses acted as a judge—I know this is a mythological story—in the desert. He was continually mediating between people who were having problems, and he was constantly trying to keep peace.
On the stories in general:
The Bible stories—and I think this is true of fiction in general—is phenomenological. It concentrates on trying to elucidate the nature of human experience.
On fundamentalists:
To know that the Biblical stories have a phenomenological truth is really worth knowing. The poor fundamentalists are trying to cling to their moral structure. I understand why, because it does organize their societies and their psyche. So they've got something to cling to, but they don't have a very sophisticated idea of the complexity of what constitutes truth. They try to gerrymander the Biblical stories into the domain of scientific theory—promoting creationism, for example, as an alternative scientific theory. It’s like, that just isn’t going to go anywhere.
So he nowhere says these are the inerrant words of a supernatural being. In fact he is taking them as stories. He also talks about the bible being assembled over a long period by multiple authors. He does not say with "divine inspiration".

I do think he overstates the significance of the stories. I suspect you can take any mythology and make a case for the psychological significance of them. However, Jordan Peterson is not a Christian apologist from what I find here.
The fact that this topic has not drawn a response from other posters here - and only a delayed one from me - should probably be taken as a rough measure of how interesting people are finding it to be.

All I can say is that Peterson's mythical explanations are not for everyone - and these stories are open for interpretation. So it might be interesting to see him argue to the toss with someone that gives them a different spin but still finds them useful (a Satanist, or a fundamentalist for instance).

Moses abandoned the people (who seem more like children in the story) to go and consult with someone he alone could talk with. He then came back with a set of rules and rebuked the people for not obeying them even before they knew what the rules were. (They had decided to have a party and worship a golden calf). Moses then ground the tablets on which the new rules were written into dust, mixed it with water and forced everyone to drink it. After which he went back to get a second copy. At the very least it seems possible to see god & Moses as more than a little unreasonable.

I find the history of how the bible came about, and how it was understood in the societies at the time to be more interesting than what morals can perhaps be taken from it in a modern context (which tells you more about the person doing the telling). Just like if I was going to read it - it would be in the King James version rather than a modern english translation.

Being raised in religion these stories are not particularly new to me - and the re-telling to keep them relevant wears a bit thin.

But really if I want to be told what to think about religious tales there are no shortage of places to go.
Wasn't the golden calf, Hathor, the cow-headed god worshiped by the Egyptians? It was some moral tale of the transition from being polytheist pagans to monotheist chosen people.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

KiwiInOz wrote:
Wasn't the golden calf, Hathor, the cow-headed god worshiped by the Egyptians? It was some moral tale of the transition from being polytheist pagans to monotheist chosen people.
I don't know, but that would certainly fit with the general theme (ie 'having no other gods before me' ). The story is interesting (or at least more interesting to me) in it's historical context, but loses something when forced to become a modern morality tale.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Kirbmarc wrote:
The Whimper of Pussywhipped Slobs

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

A couple instances of the Shives-Myers-Arel "let's you and him fight" principle escaped into the wild.

Frothing about murder, then admitting cowardice is a frequent motif lately. They're stupid enough to think violence they instigate won't touch them.

https://imgur.com/b7TmxR9.png

https://imgur.com/wJA9vTO.png