John D

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

Post by John D »

Haha... BJ... not BS...

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

John D wrote: Haha... BJ... not BS...
Regardless, I have to wonder if he's going to triple-down and have his ass handed to him at trial, or plead mental illness and try to get a deal. Many variables there, especially as the prosecutor may not even be interested, but would rather bag a big name. Place your bets now!

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Lsuoma wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:01 pm
Atomic Awakening by James Mahaffey is a great book, and explains succinctly why nuclear is dead, and has been since before 3MI.
I couldn’t irk out his negative thesis from the reviews.
Mahaffey, a senior research scientist at the Georgia Tech Research Institute, offers hope leavened with pragmatism that, while nuclear technology may be experimental forever, it can still be useful and safe.
:doh:

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

“Work”

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

In breaking news America's independence is temporary at best...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPWjdiFy5Mc

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

And a belated 'Merry Shrove Tuesday' to one and all...

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

MarcusAu wrote: And a belated 'Merry Shrove Tuesday' to one and all...
A grand old melee was had by all. And they say we whiteys of Brit origin have no culture.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Not that I've got anything particularly offensive to say - it's the title of new book by author William W Johnstone.

Here's some copy from the cover
William W Johnstone wrote:
Former Army Ranger Jake Rivers is not your typical Kelton College student. He is not spoiled, coddled, or ultra-lib like his classmates who sneer at the "soldier boy."

Rivers is not "triggered" by "microaggressions." He is not outraged by "male privilege" and "cisgender bathrooms." He does not need a "safe space." Or coloring books. Jake needs an education. And when terror strikes, the school needs Jake . . .

Without warning, the sounds of gunfire plunge the campus into a battle zone. A violent gang of marauders invade the main hall, taking students as hostages for big ransom money. As a veteran and patriot, Jake won't give in to their demands. But to fight back, he needs to enlist his fellow classmates to school these special snowflakes in the not-so-liberal art of war. This time, the aggression isn't "micro." It's life or death. And only the strong survive . . .

Live Free. Read Hard.

I'm beginning to feel exploited...

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

MarcusAu wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:33 pm

Code: Select all

[tweet]https://twitter.com/MattTurner4L/status/1103776962248671232[/tweet]
Looks like a lot of fun. Family friendly(00:57), and inclusive(03.47)

(kids screaming behind their Mums as the crowd assaulting each other gets too close and the nig-nog trading punches with a whitefella).

It really looks like a splendid time was had by all.

You would expect that former British colonies would be all over it. :? :? :?

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

That video really validates the fucked-up haircut I gave myself this morning, which girlfriend really hates. I've got what it takes to be an Atherstone Barber.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

John D wrote: Did someone start talking about tanks?.... I really need to get to this museum.

Speaking of speaking of tanks, does anyone else find "The Chieftain" a bit of a twat?

I figured he was an Ulster twat who rode in a Chieftain in the Queen's Own Knobs Regiment or something. Turns out he's a Dubliner twat who moved to Amerikay and served in the US Cavalry.

But I caught him praising stuff in the Sherman that he'd derided as "German over-engineering" in the Panther. It seems like one feature he will either fancy or loathe, and that colors his entire perception of everything else in a particular tank.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Shamone, tee hee...

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: I figured he was an Ulster twat who rode in a Chieftain in the Queen's Own Knobs Regiment or something.
Just a wee note - muggins here was trained on Chieftain when he went through "trades" in '89. Ask me anything about the beast, I'm still fairly clued up on the smelly brute. Hell, I still remember what XG279 tastes like...diesel sammich and all that guff.

Or don't ask, it's all good.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Bhurzum wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: I figured he was an Ulster twat who rode in a Chieftain in the Queen's Own Knobs Regiment or something.
Just a wee note - muggins here was trained on Chieftain when he went through "trades" in '89. Ask me anything about the beast, I'm still fairly clued up on the smelly brute. Hell, I still remember what XG279 tastes like...diesel sammich and all that guff.

Or don't ask, it's all good.
Did it have an azimuth ring in the turret?

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

I believe the Chieftain / T95 had twice the reload time of the Centurion (plus worse aim time and accuracy) and less rear armour plus only a couple of MPH advantage. However it was diesel over gasoline and of course it had other advantages.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Brive1987 wrote: I believe the Chieftain / T95 had twice the reload time of the Centurion (plus worse aim time and accuracy) and less rear armour plus only a couple of MPH advantage. However it was diesel over gasoline and of course it had other advantages.
Unsure about the reload time, Cent was before my time. However, I have watched a very, very slick crew manage to shoot three HESH fast enough (high elipse) to get all three rounds in the air at the same time! "High elipse" shooting is a technique employed to engage targets at long range - the gun drives up so high (to "lob" the rounds onto target) that the gunner is looking at clouds and can only see the aiming mark (elipse) through his sight. Chieftain came equiped with a device called the "field clinometer" (numbered drum assembly bolted onto the side of the gun next to the gunner's left hip) which could be used to "rev mode" (manually) apply long-ranges to the gun but was generally only used if the FCU (fire control unit) or AMEU (aiming mark electronics unit) went tits up.

As for the turret ring - the only thing of note were the stop-blocks (roughly the size of a large fist) which were welded in-place as part of the assembly process. One of my friends, a very by-the-numbers gunnery guru, was showing some Danish air corps types around the turret when one of them asked him what the blocks were? With no hesitation, he informed them that the blocks were C4 and were detonated if the enemy were about to capture the wagon - protection of secretive equipment and all that good stuff. He also told them that the "Flash button" on the gunner's sight (large very conspicuous red button - used for laser servicing) was the initiation button. He then leaned forward as if to point it out but actually pressed the button (button is inert without the laser arming key).

In the chaos that followed, five Danes damn near clawed their way through the armour, two managed to get out of the loaders hatch at the same time and all were peppered with "turret rash" - cuts, bruises and scrapes from the countless sharp corners/edges found in/around the wagon.

This prank became so popular within the unit that it was repeated for years. I even pulled it on a bunch of T.A. nuggets to great effect.

http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/wp-co ... n-tank.jpg

Flash button can be seen near top left corner.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Oops, should have mentioned: "Rev modes" (AKA - steam gunnery) short for "revulsionary modes" - a group of methods designed to allow the crew to "fight the tank" as the various systems fail due to damage etc.

EG:

The laser fails, we "rev" to the "stadiametric" graticule. Very basic but accurate fall-back system.

Stadia (or primary sight) dies, we use the field clinometer.

Clino dies, commander uses bino's/map to issue range(s).

Commander pops his clogs, loader can look down the breech and guide gunner onto target.

Etc.

We used to spend a lot of time training/practicing this shit every month until it became second nature. A good gunner would "rev" without even thinking about it and a solid crew would still be lethal if the computer/sights/laser went down.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Bhurzum wrote: [A]nd a solid crew would still be lethal if the computer/sights/laser went down.
Presumably through farts and vomit?

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Lsuoma wrote:
Bhurzum wrote: [A]nd a solid crew would still be lethal if the computer/sights/laser went down.
That would be scorpion crews.

(be interesting if you "get" that)

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Bhurzum wrote:
As for the turret ring - the only thing of note were the stop-blocks (roughly the size of a large fist) which were welded in-place as part of the assembly process. One of my friends, a very by-the-numbers gunnery guru, was showing some Danish air corps types around the turret when one of them asked him what the blocks were? With no hesitation, he informed them that the blocks were C4 and were detonated if the enemy were about to capture the wagon - protection of secretive equipment and all that good stuff. He also told them that the "Flash button" on the gunner's sight (large very conspicuous red button - used for laser servicing) was the initiation button. He then leaned forward as if to point it out but actually pressed the button (button is inert without the laser arming key).

In the chaos that followed, five Danes damn near clawed their way through the armour, two managed to get out of the loaders hatch at the same time and all were peppered with "turret rash" - cuts, bruises and scrapes from the countless sharp corners/edges found in/around the wagon.

This prank became so popular within the unit that it was repeated for years. I even pulled it on a bunch of T.A. nuggets to great effect.

I only asked because according to "the Chieftain", it's either a really great thing or a really useless thing. But I'm glad I did ask, cuz that story had me on the floor.

Mr. X, Indeed

Post by Mr. X, Indeed »

MarcusAu wrote:

Not that I've got anything particularly offensive to say - it's the title of new book by author William W Johnstone.

Here's some copy from the cover
William W Johnstone wrote:
Former Army Ranger Jake Rivers is not your typical Kelton College student. He is not spoiled, coddled, or ultra-lib like his classmates who sneer at the "soldier boy."

Rivers is not "triggered" by "microaggressions." He is not outraged by "male privilege" and "cisgender bathrooms." He does not need a "safe space." Or coloring books. Jake needs an education. And when terror strikes, the school needs Jake . . .

Without warning, the sounds of gunfire plunge the campus into a battle zone. A violent gang of marauders invade the main hall, taking students as hostages for big ransom money. As a veteran and patriot, Jake won't give in to their demands. But to fight back, he needs to enlist his fellow classmates to school these special snowflakes in the not-so-liberal art of war. This time, the aggression isn't "micro." It's life or death. And only the strong survive . . .

Live Free. Read Hard.

I'm beginning to feel exploited...
William W Johnstone died in 2004. His niece has been "co-authoring" under the name J A Johnstone since.

http://capitalwhoswho.com/jo-j-a-johnst ... ublishing/

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

AndrewV69 wrote:
MarcusAu wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:33 pm

Code: Select all

[tweet]https://twitter.com/MattTurner4L/status/1103776962248671232[/tweet]
Looks like a lot of fun. Family friendly(00:57), and inclusive(03.47)

(kids screaming behind their Mums as the crowd assaulting each other gets too close and the nig-nog trading punches with a whitefella).

It really looks like a splendid time was had by all.

You would expect that former British colonies would be all over it. :? :? :?
That still on the video is where the specky in Aussie Rules comes from.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Captain Marvel damned by faint praise.

I suspect that it will be as revolutionary as the last Ghostbusters movie.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

KiwiInOz wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:14 pm

The problem is they have positioned her as the Mary Sue for Infinity Wars. This movie needs to crash and burn.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: I only asked because according to "the Chieftain", it's either a really great thing or a really useless thing. But I'm glad I did ask, cuz that story had me on the floor.
An azimuth ring? Perhaps that's an older/alternative name for the TPI (turret position indicator) which can be used in conjunction with the field clinometer as part of rev modes?

(can't find an image but this commie variant is very similar)

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-MoYtFB4BIDk/ ... cator.jpeg

Basically, the TPI shows the left/right ("line" in gunnery-speak) and the clino shows the up/down ("elevation/depression" in gunnery-speak) when aiming. Note: the TPI is graded in "mils" not degrees - much finer level of adjustment.

I've never heard of an "azimuth ring" although it could be part of the commander's aspects which I, as a lowly Chieftain gooner, was not taught. However, the more I think about it, the more I'm detecting balloon juice - we were taught 90% of the commander's aspects (part of rev modes if the Cmdr gets popped) and other than the finer points of IFCS (improved fire control systems - the gunnery computer), we had a working knowledge of the commanders station/controls.

Could be wrong but I don't think I am.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Mr. X, Indeed wrote: William W Johnstone died in 2004. His niece has been "co-authoring" under the name J A Johnstone since.

http://capitalwhoswho.com/jo-j-a-johnst ... ublishing/
Sounds like there is enough exploitation that everyone gets a share.

Not sure if trans-authors are further sign that things are going to hell in a handcart though.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Brive1987 wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:14 pm

The problem is they have positioned her as the Mary Sue for Infinity Wars. This movie needs to crash and burn.
Mary Sues need love too.

Real rights for fictional characters!

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Brive1987 wrote: The problem is they have positioned her as the Mary Sue for Infinity Wars. This movie needs to crash and burn.
Well, as this tweet shows, the simps at Rotten Tomatoes are pulling all sorts of fuckery in order to bodge the numbers...

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Bhurzum wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:14 pm
Brive1987 wrote: I believe the Chieftain / T95 had twice the reload time of the Centurion (plus worse aim time and accuracy) and less rear armour plus only a couple of MPH advantage. However it was diesel over gasoline and of course it had other advantages.
Unsure about the reload time, Cent was before my time. However, I have watched a very, very slick crew manage to shoot three HESH fast enough (high elipse) to get all three rounds in the air at the same time! "High elipse" shooting is a technique employed to engage targets at long range - the gun drives up so high (to "lob" the rounds onto target) that the gunner is looking at clouds and can only see the aiming mark (elipse) through his sight. Chieftain came equiped with a device called the "field clinometer" (numbered drum assembly bolted onto the side of the gun next to the gunner's left hip) which could be used to "rev mode" (manually) apply long-ranges to the gun but was generally only used if the FCU (fire control unit) or AMEU (aiming mark electronics unit) went tits up.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I canna breathe!!!!

fukn hell!!!

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

KiwiInOz wrote: Captain Marvel damned by faint praise.

As the upvoted commentators under the line agree, even the resident Guardian critic could only manage to give it 3/5

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/m ... -l-jackson

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Where's the diversity and inclusivity? I see no representatives from the Trans Muslim Community here. So obviously full of white male privilege, toxic masculinity and racist Nazi gammon faces. Just look what Brexit has done. SHUT IT DOWN. SHUT IT DOWN. :x

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

KiwiInOz wrote: Captain Marvel damned by faint praise.

At least GHOSTBUSTERS had Kate McKinnon in it. I just watched THE SPY WHO DUMPED ME and giggled through the entire thing. It's intentionally silly and plays on all the espionage thriller tropes to full comedic effect. McKinnon is a non-stop riot.

I also finally saw RED SPARROW after much trepidation, despite having my other Jen sweetheart in it nekkid - due to scary reviews. It was sexploitation, they all said, it was torture porn, she debased herself. It was none of that. Sure, she got naked. Sure, she got tortured. Sure, she got tortured naked. But just your standard level of Hollywood depravity. Mostly a pastiche of other spy recruit / cat & mouse flics, (esp. POINT OF NO RETURN & ATOMIC BLONDE), but mildly entertaining.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

So they purged negative reviews:
Screen Shot 2019-03-09 at 8.35.17 AM.png
(202.35 KiB) Downloaded 255 times

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: I just watched THE SPY WHO DUMPED ON ME and giggled through the entire thing.
Are we back on R. Kelly again?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Bhurzum wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
That would be scorpion crews.

(be interesting if you "get" that)
Something to do with this?
A commode was located under the commander's seat
Sounds like a lovely little AFV, with the emphasis on little. Here's a photo of one in action. Falklands, I think:
Scorpion.jpg
(72.96 KiB) Downloaded 224 times

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Chelsea Manning refuses to testify in grand jury probe of wikileaks, goes back to jail. What kind of secrets does xe need to keep about Assange and wikileaks, and why is it that anti secrecy group wikileaks thinks it is bad for everybody else to have secrets but them?
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/manning-j ... -1.5048503

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Just came across 'The Fifth Column' podcast - which reads (or would do if you read it) like a sister podcast to the ReasonTV one (ie it leans libertarian).

In the latest episode they talk about 'Leaving Neverland' Michael Jackson documentary - and then place it in the larger context of 'cancelling culture' or at very least the 1960s/1970s (I'd not heard of the Led Zepplin 'mudshark incident'). From there it's on to defending Bernie Sanders against charges of racism and comparing the Scandinavian vs the South American socialists, and finally on to talking about Salman Rushdie and the 'Satanic Verses 30 Years On' BBC documentary.

Just thought that there might be some here interested in such things. Though how much support you are willing to give to fifth columnists is up to you.

https://shows.pippa.io/wethefifth/episo ... -socialism

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Something to do with this?
A commode was located under the commander's seat
Sounds like a lovely little AFV, with the emphasis on little.
Heh. Actually, and this will be nerdy, the Scorpion was notorious for two things:

1) The toxicity hazard of the main armament.

When the gun was fired, 99% of the time there was blowback into the turret (cordite smoke) which reeked like pungent farts, would half-blind the crew and was known to cause nausea, vomiting and could even cause crews to pass out. This was part of the reason "Scimitar" was developed - it's essentially the same vehicle with a few tweaks and a new/smaller main armament.

This is a Scorpion CVR(T)...

http://www.arcaneafvs.com/fv101_files/image007.jpg

...and this is a Scimitar CVR(T)...

http://www.joint-forces.com/wp-content/ ... imitar.jpg

Note: the designation CVR(T) - "Combat vehicle reconnaissance (tracked)" - they are not tanks!

2) The crews were basic men.

Within cavalry/tank Regiments, the CVR(T) sub-units were employed as reconnaissance troops. These mad bastards would move forward to the very limits of the FLOT (forward line of own troops) and try to "eyes on" the lead elements of the enemy. As such, they'd spend days on end out in the sticks with little/no sleep, no hot food and were usually filthy. Recce troops would often sport a weeks worth of facial hair (a hanging offense everywhere else!), would rob the rations/water of unsuspecting tank crews and were generally not to be trusted. The real problem was, because of their role, the fuckers were awesome at snurgling (sneaky-beaky shit - stealth) and could strip a troop of their grub, water, ammo/grenades, porn mags and smokes without the crews noticing.

Final point: most AFV's and MBT's have a commode - I'd rather smell my oppo's arse than crack the seal during a CBRN strike.

It took me ages to find this - a comment on the subject of tank toilets (taken from ARRSE)...
We used to use an empty 5 man compo box to crap in (no pissing it makes the cardboard soggy). After a five day closed down exercise in a Cent bridgelayer on Saltau, the box was just about full and when we got the order to open up, I sealed the box with black harry maskers and put it outside the hatch prior to burying it. As usual a horde of German kids turned up - we werent far from a village - asking for the spare tins of "marmelade", and sweets that we always had left over. Suddenly one kid grabbed the compo box full of shit and was off with it under his arm like an Italian light recce tank in retreat, a comets tail of kids chasing him. he shot into a nearby house and slammed the door behind him. A couple of minutes later the door opened again and the box full of shit came flying out to land in the garden spraying turds everywhere. It was closely followed by the kid who was being slapped around the head by a fat old Frauline with huge tits. Funny as fu ck.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

On my way to Broadmoor one day, I was amazed to overtake a couple of Scorpions barreling down the M4. Never seen a tank on a motorway before (and haven't since, now I think about it).

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

screwtape wrote: On my way to Broadmoor one day, I was amazed to overtake a couple of Scorpions barreling down the M4. Never seen a tank on a motorway before (and haven't since, now I think about it).
Were you out on a day pass?

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Saw Captain Marvel today.

It is distinctly average.

Thing is, I didn't feel it was particulary "feminist" or "empowering", which is what some of its cheerleaders have said about it. Seems any major film that has a woman in the lead is somehow breaking through some sort of glass ceiling.

Also, is Samuel L Jackson never not fucking irritating as fuck, these days?

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Brive1987 wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:27 pm
PZ has waded into the Captain Marvel, Rotton Tomatoes white knighting drama.

The background tl/dr is that RT have removed the “want to see” option for pre release movies. This after Femi-Mavel hit the lowly 20% mark. Because clearly this couldn’t be actual audience sentiment.

Of course PZ accidentally gets it’s all wrong. Luckily in a way that favours his bias.
You might be wondering how they did it, and what they did. Rotten Tomatoes noticed that movies that hadn’t been released yet, that no one had even seen, were being swarmed by people downvoting them, making their reviews unreliable and even more biased than usual. So they made a rule: you don’t get to rate a movie until after it has been released. This, of course, is a colossal threat to democracy!
Yeah PZ, that’s exactly what happened. Now wait for the post release apocalypse.

There's an extra layer of irony to PZ being so very wrong about everything, always...

So... in the comic books-- there was a black dude named Ulysses who can see the future, like TomCruiseMinorityReport pre-crime.

So... in the comic books-- this Captain Marvel bitch takes Ulysses' word for it-- and starts abducting people who haven't done anything wrong yet-- because they might do-or-cause some bad shit in the future. She creates her own personal dark-site Gitmo & renditions US citizens there, with no due process or official authorization. The regular straight-white-men superheroes... (like, Iron Man i think?) find-out what she's doing & block her from one of her abuctions. And--when she fails to kidnap-or-kill the perpetrator... the catastrophic outcome she was trying to prevent... Doesn't Happen!

So... it turns out this Ulysses guy's predictions aren't 100% sure to happen. They're just high-probability possible futures. For Western Civilization Shitlords like Judge Blackstone... that's not good-enough. Innocent Until Proven Guilty. So... in the comic books... Captain Marvel then takes a stand-- her moral values say that it's ok if some innocent people are wrongly imprisoned... because the harm will be so great/ if Ulysses' dire predictions turn-out to be correct.

So... fast-forward to a couple weeks ago. A bunch of misogynist shitlords vote on Rotten Tomatoes... vote that they aren't looking-forward to watching the Captain Marvel movie, which they haven't seen yet, based only on high-probability early-warning-signs that the movie Might Be Crap.

OK PZ... explain to me how the incel shitlord movie critics are soooo awful... for profiling Captain Marvel beforehand/ the same way she profiles criminal suspects beforehand?!

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

screwtape wrote: On my way to Broadmoor one day, I was amazed to overtake a couple of Scorpions barreling down the M4. Never seen a tank on a motorway before (and haven't since, now I think about it).
Yeah, we tend to "low-loader" them for most long trips. It's all about budget and keeping the track mileage down.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/UpNTadLOnXM/maxresdefault.jpg

Also, it's not unusual (Tom Jones) to see them on trains.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Bhurzum wrote:
Yeah, we tend to "low-loader" them for most long trips. It's all about budget and keeping the track mileage down.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/UpNTadLOnXM/maxresdefault.jpg

Also, it's not unusual (Tom Jones) to see them on trains.
I used to see APC's and the occasional tank with rubber pads hoofing down the New England Highway to or from the Singleton base (often with L plates). The cats eyes down the middle of the road used to shatter quite dramatically when the tanks went went over them.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Brive1987 wrote:
I thought the issue was that they didn't contain nuts.

TheMudbrooker

Post by TheMudbrooker »

Brive1987 wrote:
....and mommy was never asked to make something for the bake sale again.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

'Spotted Dick' would have been more healthy.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Service Dog wrote: There's an extra layer of irony to PZ being so very wrong about everything, always...

So... in the comic books-- there was a black dude named Ulysses who can see the future, like TomCruiseMinorityReport pre-crime.

So... in the comic books-- this Captain Marvel bitch takes Ulysses' word for it-- and starts abducting people who haven't done anything wrong yet-- because they might do-or-cause some bad shit in the future. She creates her own personal dark-site Gitmo & renditions US citizens there, with no due process or official authorization. The regular straight-white-men superheroes... (like, Iron Man i think?) find-out what she's doing & block her from one of her abuctions. And--when she fails to kidnap-or-kill the perpetrator... the catastrophic outcome she was trying to prevent... Doesn't Happen!

So... it turns out this Ulysses guy's predictions aren't 100% sure to happen. They're just high-probability possible futures. For Western Civilization Shitlords like Judge Blackstone... that's not good-enough. Innocent Until Proven Guilty. So... in the comic books... Captain Marvel then takes a stand-- her moral values say that it's ok if some innocent people are wrongly imprisoned... because the harm will be so great/ if Ulysses' dire predictions turn-out to be correct.

So... fast-forward to a couple weeks ago. A bunch of misogynist shitlords vote on Rotten Tomatoes... vote that they aren't looking-forward to watching the Captain Marvel movie, which they haven't seen yet, based only on high-probability early-warning-signs that the movie Might Be Crap.

OK PZ... explain to me how the incel shitlord movie critics are soooo awful... for profiling Captain Marvel beforehand/ the same way she profiles criminal suspects beforehand?!
I thought you were going to bring up the time when her own son got Mz Marvel (as was) pregnant so that she would give birth to him. I wouldn't want to pre-judge but that story line probably did not make it into the movie.

Actually now that I think about it the story is not as unique as it sounds - "Space-Jesus' was a fairly common trope for Marvel at the time - see Adam Warlock, Silver Surfer et al.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Not something you hear everyday. Sounds like Johnny Reb used a unique racial epithet back in the day: niggras

Who knew?

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

A new Smolletting?

piginthecity

Post by piginthecity »

MarcusAu wrote: Just came across 'The Fifth Column' podcast - which reads (or would do if you read it) like a sister podcast to the ReasonTV one (ie it leans libertarian).

In the latest episode they talk about 'Leaving Neverland' Michael Jackson documentary - and then place it in the larger context of 'cancelling culture' or at very least the 1960s/1970s (I'd not heard of the Led Zepplin 'mudshark incident'). From there it's on to defending Bernie Sanders against charges of racism and comparing the Scandinavian vs the South American socialists, and finally on to talking about Salman Rushdie and the 'Satanic Verses 30 Years On' BBC documentary.

Just thought that there might be some here interested in such things. Though how much support you are willing to give to fifth columnists is up to you.

https://shows.pippa.io/wethefifth/episo ... -socialism
I saw that 'Satanic Verses' bbc documentary. Some attempt at even-handedness but with some obvious distortions to fit the 'bbc woke' narrative. On the whole not really in good faith but not too blatant.

Most annoyingly was the attempt to 'balance' the views of some of the Muslim objectors with those of some extreme right people, the whole question of suppression of artistic endeavour or free expression being treated as a distraction. At one point the presenter asserts "It wasn't about the ideas, it was about racism !"

Also they seemed to think that the Bradford book-burning incident was very important and caused a lot of 'outrage'. As I remember it, what caused the outrage was the death sentence against Rushdie. The 'book-burning' was a comical sideshow for light relief. Sure, it made the burners look bad but nobody cared because they were quite entitled to burn their own copy of whatever book they wanted.

They didn't interview anybody from the literature community to defend the publishing of a book with unpopular ideas, the only writer featured was Alibhai-Brown who used the 'dismissal by agreement' technique. Claim to agree with freedom of speech, then move on to talk about the book as an 'attack' etc.

Oddly, though, they did interview a militant ex-muslim lady (her of the 'Allah is Gay' signs). Presenter didn't explore how she is compatible with his earlier assertion that it's all about 'racism' and not 'ideas'. They did let her speak, but he didn't engage with her as he did the other guests, but sidetracked into a discussion about whether things with the word 'Allah' on them should be placed on the floor or not.

The funniest bit was where he invited a rather dim random muslim gentleman on the streets of Bradford to read from 'the book', which he obliged before walking away in some distress. He later reappeared and snatched the book, ripped pages out and yelled "What are you going to do about it you fucking bastard ?". This was good entertainment, but, thinking about it, this wasn't so much a proof that Rushdie's book still has power to provoke, but rather that people don't like to be taken advantage of by smooth 'Telly' types and humiliated in front of cameras.

All-in-all a cowardly piece of work from the BBC. They used the presenter's emotional investment in the issue to avoid the most important aspects of the controversy and focus on 'feelings'.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Doing my due diligence - I see that the Satanic Verses BBC doc - is available on their webpage - for the next 19 days at least. (Though a proxy might be needed for those not in the UK).

I did not find it on YouTube (where quite a bit of BBC content ends up) - so other than that anyone wishing to view it would have to resort to extra-legal means.

Link below:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/search?q=The%20Sa ... 3Am0002thf

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Military History Buffs

Excellent collection of conference papers from the Australian Chief of Army annual conferences

Short cuts to all PDFs here (go to bottom of linked page)
https://www.army.gov.au/our-history/aus ... conference

Check out an example - PDF of conference papers from 2007 - theme being 1917 TACTICS, TRAINING AND TECHNOLOGY
https://www.army.gov.au/sites/g/files/n ... logy_0.pdf

Topics aren't limited to Australian themes.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Searching though YouTube did not prove totally unproductive.

There's a new documentary due out about the church of Satan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27RtJp-rhHk

Nice to know that in the separation of church & state that at least some of the supernatural forces have come down on the right side.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

MarcusAu wrote: Searching though YouTube did not prove totally unproductive.

There's a new documentary due out about the church of Satan.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=27RtJp-rhHk

Nice to know that in the separation of church & state that at least some of the supernatural forces have come down on the right side.
We only have gods word that satan is evil and lets face it he hasn't exactly covered himself in glory these past 3,000 years or so has he.

Anyway, reminds me of a joke I once heard.

Two friends go sea fishing and get caught in a great storm, the boat capsizes and both men tragically drown.
One goes to heaven, the other goes to hell.
Some years later they're both sent back to earth on ghost duty and find themselves haunting the same house, after an initial greeting one turns to the other and says.
"I was sorry to hear you got sent to hell, really bad luck, it must be terrible for you"
"Actually it's not that bad, Oh Beelzebub's not a bad chap really you know, it's lovely and warm down there, great food, loads to drink and the sex, well crikey, what can I say, every perversion you can think of, to be honest I was glad to come here for a rest" .. "Anyway what about you? If I'm having such a great time down there you must me loving it up there in heaven, it must be like, well heaven"
"Don't you believe it, that bloody god bloke, he's a slave driver, I'm up at the crack of dawn polishing stars, then harp practice, I get a lump of stale bread and a glass of water for breakfast, then more harp practice, then in the afternoon I have to mend all the Angels wings, fuck knows what they get up to but they don't half get through them wings, then I have to puff up a few clouds, more harp practice, a bowl of fish soup for my supper and lights out by 9pm. Next day it all starts again, it never stops. it's awful"
"Fuck me .. What's he got you doing all that for?"

"Well, I'm the only fucker up there"

(I'll get me coat) :shifty:

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Peaky Binder attacks rival player on the pitch.

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

shoutinghorse wrote: Peaky Binder attacks rival player on the pitch.

And, it's gone.