You is all a bunch of poofs!

Old subthreads
shoutinghorse

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

Post by shoutinghorse »

I live 42 miles from London, honestly It may as well be 4,000 miles away. Apart from the occasional need to travel through I avoid the place like the fucking plague.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

So there's some sort of reverse Dunning-Kruger effect in play.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

MarcusAu wrote: So there's some sort of reverse Dunning-Kruger effect in play.
I guess that would be a Socrates Effect-- humbly knowing the extent of yer own ignorance.

Thanks for the summary of Malice's book.

Today I listened to Malice on Dave Smith's 'Part of the Problem' podcast.
Smith is interested in how the alt-right stole the Ron Paul fanboys' internet-groundswell.
Maybe there Dunning-Kruger in that, too... waves of half-informed fads of thought... taking-turns Having All The Answers & spreading as memes, then eventually going-nowhere.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Service Dog wrote:
MarcusAu wrote: So there's some sort of reverse Dunning-Kruger effect in play.
I guess that would be a Socrates Effect-- humbly knowing the extent of yer own ignorance.
Obviously, Socrates (unlike me) was too stupid to know what to call it.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Lsuoma wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 1:15 pm
Pitchguest wrote: John Cleese has been CANCELLED by the authoritariat for his claim that London isn't an English city anymore. His proof? Actual statistics from the London census stating that the majority population of London is not English. Wow. :o

Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, has the nerve to denounce him, declaring he's proud London is both European and, above all, OPEN. As if that doesn't affirm everything Cleese is saying. Saying that London isn't English anymore doesn't just mean it's not ethnically white anymore, it means it's lost or in the process of losing its English cultural background. It's becoming less and less English and more of a mish-mash of cultures clashing, most of which refuse to integrate.

Then there's the rampant, and forgive me Kirbmarc for saying so, Islamisation of English cities, like London and Birmingham. Imagine you're a woman seeking asylum in England to escape conflict and oppression in your native Muslim majority country (e.g. Iran) only to wake up one day to find yourself back into the fold and into the shit. Call to prayer in Trafalgar Square. Government sanctioned Sharia courts. Women dressed from head to toe in burqas and niqab. In Iran they're symbols of oppression, in England they're symbols of *solidarity.* What absolute poppycock. :snooty:
Anyone surprised? Not me.

I saw this yesterday: https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-48451384

People have been ragging on him since he now lives on Nevis. I don't blame him. I feel sorry for all the other people who want to get away from the increasingly foreign city, but aren't so fortunate as Cleese.

Sadiq Khan is a right cunt.
They rag on him for living on Nevis, because it used to be a British colony, and because they assume that *because it used to be a British colony* it's populated by majority Brits. It's not. :lol:

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Speaking of Dunning-Kruger... Elizabeth Warren on HOT97 Breakfast Club wit' Charlamagne da God...

Huff a bag of paint, every time she claims her wealth tax is "2 cents"

:teasing-tease:

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

What if the UK allowed London to Lexit from Brexit, then treat it like West Berlin?

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

One clown endorses another.

TheMudbrooker

Post by TheMudbrooker »

Should give some vegans the vapors, god forbid recycling should be used for such heresy.https://www.weau.com/content/news/Black ... 82971.html

Dan

Post by Dan »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: What if the UK allowed London to Lexit from Brexit, then treat it like West Berlin?
They'd be better of treating it like East Berlin, build a wall and shoot anyone that tries to escape.

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

I'm no fan of Hartley Brewer at all. She is mostly an idiot. But this is stupid.
Jesus. Here I am defending the rights of previously Roger Scruton and now this bint.
And really comes up with some quotes that could be a Poe's Law parody.
If they didn't want her to speak, why invite her just because her father used to be a GP or summat.
The RCGP said it "promotes inclusivity" and her views were "too much at odds" with its "core values".
Dr Khan, a second generation immigrant, said he accepted the "free speech overrides snowflake" argument, but added: "There is an undefined line between free speech and hate speech...

"This speech incited hatred, and any defence of it is indefensible."
Dr Alan Woodall, the founder of GP Survival - a grassroots organisation which campaigns for the interests of GPs - set up the petition.

He wrote that having Ms Hartley-Brewer at the event would be an "insult to the thousands of international doctors who have come to work as GPs in the NHS".

Yes let me be offended on you behalf yu snowfakes.
MWSnap016 2019-06-01, 12_31_25.jpg
(70.56 KiB) Downloaded 437 times
The Royal College of GPs has rescinded Julia Hartley-Brewer's invitation to speak at its 2019 conference after doctors complained about a tweet defending Enoch Powell.

Hundreds of people signed a petition calling for the cancellation over her "highly controversial views".

Ms Hartley-Brewer said "Twitter offence archaeologists" were punishing her.

The RCGP said it "promotes inclusivity" and her views were "too much at odds" with its "core values".

Ms Hartley-Brewer had been expected to join a panel of guests in October for the conference being held in Liverpool.

But more than 700 people signed a petition calling for members of the RCGP to "boycott" her presence, noting her "controversial" views.

In a deleted tweet from 2016, Ms Hartley-Brewer said "Powell wasn't a racist" and referred to Tony Blair calling him "one of the great figures of 20th century British politics".

She also said: "I'm not defending Powell, I just don't see anything in the Rivers speech that he got wrong."

Enoch Powell was an MP most famous for his 1968 Rivers of Blood speech, where he said by permitting mass immigration the country was "heaping up its own funeral pyre".

Responding to the RCGP's decision for the Spectator, Ms Hartley-Brewer said she was "commenting on the accuracy of his predictions" about integration, rather than making a moral judgment which endorsed his views.

Dr Alan Woodall, the founder of GP Survival - a grassroots organisation which campaigns for the interests of GPs - set up the petition.

He wrote that having Ms Hartley-Brewer at the event would be an "insult to the thousands of international doctors who have come to work as GPs in the NHS".

Writing for Pulse, a medical magazine, Dr Tehseen Khan said he would leave the RCGP if Ms Hartley-Brewer - the daughter of a GP - was allowed to participate on the Q&A panel.

He said: "This inflammatory journalist has openly declared that she doesn't 'see anything in the Rivers speech that he [Powell] got wrong'."

Dr Khan, a second generation immigrant, said he accepted the "free speech overrides snowflake" argument, but added: "There is an undefined line between free speech and hate speech...

"This speech incited hatred, and any defence of it is indefensible."

He went on to describe his late father "packing essentials" after Powell's speech in case he was "kicked out".

In her Spectator article, Ms Harley-Brewer questioned whether the doctors would care if she "wasn't a prominent Brexiteer".

"It came as no surprise to learn that Dr Alan Woodall, who launched the petition, is a fanatical Remain campaigner," she said.

She also admitted she "wasn't an authority on Powell or his views" but said "a hastily written social media exchange" shouldn't lead to being no-platformed.

"I hold my hands up to having dashed off a tweet about a subject I knew little about.

"But it is patently ridiculous that a random Twitter conversation from 2016 should be treated as irrefutable evidence that I am a 'fascist' whose mere presence on a panel would be an insult to all right-thinking people."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48482902

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

All I can say is that the Iranian terrorists would have done the world a favour in 1980 if they had gone next door and destroyed the RCGP instead of the Iranian Embassy. It always was a corrupt organisation with a very large chip on its shoulder. I knew the guys that set it up, Bill Styles and Eddie Josse, and I never found their motives convincing.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Dan wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: What if the UK allowed London to Lexit from Brexit, then treat it like West Berlin?
They'd be better of treating it like East Berlin, build a wall and shoot anyone that tries to escape.
A wall around London? It's a wonder no one ever thought of that before.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

screwtape wrote: All I can say is that the Iranian terrorists would have done the world a favour in 1980 if they had gone next door and destroyed the RCGP instead of the Iranian Embassy...
Ya great nimrod...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_p4DmuGyehc

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

And ... I'm banned from TFA.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

MarcusAu wrote: A wall around London? It's a wonder no one ever thought of that before.
Already got one, it's called the M25

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

shoutinghorse wrote:
MarcusAu wrote: A wall around London? It's a wonder no one ever thought of that before.
The truth value of that statement is a bit hokey-cokey.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

MarcusAu wrote:
screwtape wrote: All I can say is that the Iranian terrorists would have done the world a favour in 1980 if they had gone next door and destroyed the RCGP instead of the Iranian Embassy...
Ya great nimrod...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_p4DmuGyehc
I remember hearing that - I was working at Imperial at the time, and was just coming round the corner from Exhibition Road when it went down.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

I think I remember osmotically picking something up from the news, or seeing a 'Spitting Image' skit about a midget SAS soldier...or something...

My lived experience may not be quite on a par with others.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: And ... I'm banned from TFA.
And I thought you provided nearly all the comments.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

screwtape wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: And ... I'm banned from TFA.
And I thought you provided nearly all the comments.
All the controversy, for sure.

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

Most accurate 2020 US Presidential election analysis I've seen so far.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

"Bring out yer dead" .. "Bring out yer dead" :scared-ghostface:

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Did any of you watch Adam Conover of 'Adam Ruins Everything' on Joe Rogan?

If you like cringe... I recommend it. Especially toward the end when Adam claims he's the only one doing what he does-- jokey presentations of topics like Wacky Mind Control Parasites That Make Rodents Attracted To Cat Pee and Hey Everybody Social Media Algorthyms Use Our Propensity For Outrage To Get Clicks

He talks like Jamie Kilstein & says "right?!" more than Cenk Ugyur!

He stumbles into topic-after-topic in-which he's hopelessly outgunned by Rogan:
-Steroids In Sports
-Moon Landing Hoax Conspiracy
-Chemical Gender Transitioning of Young Children
-What it's like to be a stand-up comic
-Hunting and Gun Control

Adam sez men are better at sports than women because men designed the sports to favor things men are good at.
We need more emphasis on woman-favored events, like gymnastics

By the way-- here are 2 female Olympic Gold Medalists reacting to males doing their own routines. I give them credit for their honesty...

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

The revitalized Skepchick has an article by "Noisy" Nicole, resident astronomer, re: Elon Musk's Starlink venture, which promises to bring low cost internet to an impoverished globe. And also create lots of light pollution for astronomer's, a valid concern. But her worst worry is...wait for it... colonialism:
Noisy wrote:And that brings me to what I consider to be the most damaging aspect of this venture. As one planetary geologist put it, this project has a lot to do with colonialism. Here comes a powerful, wealthy, white dude who is going to benevolently give internet to the poor non-white people of the world without bothering to partner with them or ask what they want. It’s an old story, and one that many proponents of Starlink cling to mightily, as if this benevolence forgives all sins.
One wonders (well, I do) if she thinks Jonas Salk should have paused to consider the "colonialist" impact of the polio vaccine.

In the course of her post, she mention the Native Hawaiian objection to TMM telescope on Mauna Kea. At least THAT topic is logically compatible with "colonialism" (even if I suspect most of it has to do with Native Hawaiians wanting to stick it to the haole. Most of them probably haven't even been up there in ten years.)

The whole idea of satellite colonialism is about as rational as describing Mars colonization as "colonialism". They forgot one key thing: THERE ARE NO PEOPLE THERE. NONE. NADA, ZIP.

It makes me embarrassed to be on the left. How do some on the left get some things so. fucking. wrong?

Mr. X, Indeed

Post by Mr. X, Indeed »

Hunt wrote: The revitalized Skepchick has an article by "Noisy" Nicole, resident astronomer, re: Elon Musk's Starlink venture, which promises to bring low cost internet to an impoverished globe. And also create lots of light pollution for astronomer's, a valid concern. But her worst worry is...wait for it... colonialism:
Noisy wrote:And that brings me to what I consider to be the most damaging aspect of this venture. As one planetary geologist put it, this project has a lot to do with colonialism. Here comes a powerful, wealthy, white dude who is going to benevolently give internet to the poor non-white people of the world without bothering to partner with them or ask what they want. It’s an old story, and one that many proponents of Starlink cling to mightily, as if this benevolence forgives all sins.
One wonders (well, I do) if she thinks Jonas Salk should have paused to consider the "colonialist" impact of the polio vaccine.

In the course of her post, she mention the Native Hawaiian objection to TMM telescope on Mauna Kea. At least THAT topic is logically compatible with "colonialism" (even if I suspect most of it has to do with Native Hawaiians wanting to stick it to the haole. Most of them probably haven't even been up there in ten years.)

The whole idea of satellite colonialism is about as rational as describing Mars colonization as "colonialism". They forgot one key thing: THERE ARE NO PEOPLE THERE. NONE. NADA, ZIP.

It makes me embarrassed to be on the left. How do some on the left get some things so. fucking. wrong?
The fuck should I care what a planetary geologist thinks is colonialism?

Some folks on the left get things so wrong for the same reason lots of people do. They come up with or find a model that claims to explain everything. From there it's easy to shoehorn everything into that model. Easy answers can be more comforting. When the only tool you have is a screwdriver everything looks like a nail.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Hunt wrote: The whole idea of satellite colonialism is about as rational as describing Mars colonization as "colonialism". They forgot one key thing: THERE ARE NO PEOPLE THERE. NONE. NADA, ZIP.
I'm no expert on colonistics, but if the point is that developers will move into an area, exploit it for resources, and then do a quick 'exit, stage left' to the next place, leaving someone else to clean up the mess - then I can see room for criticism of Mars colonization in this context.

I'm not sure that I see the unique selling point of Skepchick though.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Service Dog wrote:
Adam sez men are better at sports than women because men designed the sports to favor things men are good at.
We need more emphasis on woman-favored events, like gymnastics

By the way-- here are 2 female Olympic Gold Medalists reacting to males doing their own routines. I give them credit for their honesty...

Women will always look better in leotards, on average.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

How the fuck did these two bints win gold medals if they can't do those simple gymnastic moves? .. I swing out of bed in the morning in a similar manner. :snooty:

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Never heard of Adam Conover before, but wow, is he a stupendous douchebag!

Like, you know, right. I'm not an expert on this subject, but let me pontificate on it anyway and give my certain, set-in-stone opinion and cite personal anecdotes while dismissing any hard evidence that clashes with my a priori assumptions.

Will watch the whole thing later, but here's a 20-minute excerpt on trans:

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Colonizing Mars must be the highest colonic ever.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

MarcusAu wrote: I'm no expert on colonistics, but if the point is that developers will move into an area, exploit it for resources, and then do a quick 'exit, stage left' to the next place, leaving someone else to clean up the mess - then I can see room for criticism of Mars colonization in this context.
If the argument against Mars colonization is that it's uninhabitable and that we should focus on saving Earth, I don't see the objection to raping it for its resources, or anywhere else in the solar system, for that matter. Then again, what does logic have to do with it? The Apollo 11 50th anniversary is about a month away. The world is insane enough right now that I wouldn't even doubt some "anti-colonialist" outcry.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Great find, Dog!

Another clip, in which the beta cuck denies the existence of beta cucks, social hierarchies, or innate sexual attraction. Then with stunning lack of self-awareness, explains how people double down on their assumptions when presented with contrary evidence.

Rogan: But here's the scientific evidence.
Conover: Ahh ... I don't think I agree.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Stupida fucking boat!

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

shoutinghorse wrote:
Hmmm...was it a line from "Good Omens" (hail Pratchett!) that described the M25 as a Satanic symbol carved upon the landscape and designed to generate/farm as much anguish as possible? Or did I read that somewhere else?

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

screwtape wrote: Colonizing Mars must be the highest colonic ever.
Putting the c into the anals of Mars?

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Bhurzum wrote:
Hmmm...was it a line from "Good Omens" (hail Pratchett!) that described the M25 as a Satanic symbol carved upon the landscape and designed to generate/farm as much anguish as possible? Or did I read that somewhere else?
Yes - it made it into the recent Amazon adaption too.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

shoutinghorse wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:31 pm
Stupida fucking boat!

Do you know how hard it is to find a parking spot in Venice?

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

I have Good Omens on my watch-list, but I'm also in the middle of reading the book for the first time. So I won't watch the series before I'm done with the reading.

I was very disappointed with the book American Gods. The show was a bit better.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

I enjoyed most of the books in the 'Good Omens' series as a child - though I don't know if Richmal Compton's work still holds up.

As for American Gods - I read the book first - and the casting seemed better than the TV series.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

MarcusAu wrote:
Bhurzum wrote:
Yes - it made it into the recent Amazon adaption too.
Ah, I've not watched that yet - I'm filled with dread and fearful that another beloved tale will be butchered and filled with lesbian-muslim-cripples. I'm just waiting for Barker's "Books of blood" (a trilogy just screaming for the TV/Cinema treatment - let's not mention the awful "Midnight meat train" fiasco) to fall beneath the purity-scalpel.

http://www.clivebarkercast.com/wp-conte ... 3cover.jpg

Anyone who enjoys horror, quirky and perverse horror, really should give the books a go - "Dread" is my personal favourite and one of the few stories to ever give adult-me the creeps!
“There is no delight the equal of dread. As long as it's someone else's.”
;)

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Never heard of Adam Conover before, but wow, is he a stupendous douchebag!

Like, you know, right. I'm not an expert on this subject, but let me pontificate on it anyway and give my certain, set-in-stone opinion and cite personal anecdotes while dismissing any hard evidence that clashes with my a priori assumptions.

Will watch the whole thing later, but here's a 20-minute excerpt on trans:

Here's Adam Conover's blog post-- attempting to provide citations for his claims-- that giving drugs to trans-kids is totally safe & never done pre-maturely:

https://www.adamconover.net/adding-evid ... s-podcast/

As for Rogan-- A few days ago, after the Adam episode, Joe did a call-in podcast with Jordan Peterson-- in-which Rogan rehashed Conover's views on trans-stuff... the exchange with Conover clearly continues to bother Rogan.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

As seen on Twatter (Do not judge me :naughty: )

:lol: :lol: :lol:

(simple things ... minds and all that)

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Bhurzum wrote: I'm just waiting for Barker's "Books of blood" (a trilogy just screaming for the TV/Cinema treatment...
I'm not sure that TV would be the best medium to adapt them to.

Perhaps something in summer stock, or dinner theatre, or even an xmas play.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Now that it has been alleged Saint MLK was a bit of a rapey cunt how long before he's unpersoned from history and statues pulled down?

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

MarcusAu wrote: I'm not sure that TV would be the best medium to adapt them to.

Perhaps something in summer stock, or dinner theatre, or even an xmas play.
A three-course nosebag and playing footsie with the frau whilst a live-action rendition of "Confessions of a (Pornographer's) Shroud" plays out a few feet away? Shut up and take my money!

:lol:

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

shoutinghorse wrote: Now that it has been alleged Saint MLK was a bit of a rapey cunt how long before he's unpersoned from history and statues pulled down?
Previously...
MarcusAu wrote: So, do you think there would be any objection if MLK was judged by the content of his character?
I find that by keeping an eye on what the new-Right are talking about - one can be ahead of the game on these sort of things...

Keating

Post by Keating »

I thought MLK had already been unpersoned, because judging people by their content of their character, rather than their skin colour, is racist. Not seeing colour is a microaggression, after all.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

So president Trump starts his state visit to the UK today and this is what our state broadcaster thinks of as an apropriate welcome. Now I'm all for satire and piss take but sorry I think this is fucking awful. Whatever your feelings about him as a person you salute the rank not the man. The UK has a shared history with the USA of which 10,000 GI graves in a Normandy cemetry are testament to and with the 75th anniversary of the D-Day landings in just a few days I find this a complete insult to their memory and sacrifice.
Anyway, rant over :x

Victoria Derbyshire, Sargon's inqusitor no less.
https://i.imgur.com/i4Gq469.jpg

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

shoutinghorse wrote: So president Trump starts his state visit to the UK today and this is what our state broadcaster thinks of as an apropriate welcome. Now I'm all for satire and piss take but sorry I think this is fucking awful. Whatever your feelings about him as a person you salute the rank not the man. The UK has a shared history with the USA of which 10,000 GI graves in a Normandy cemetry are testament to and with the 75th anniversary of the D-Day landings in just a few days I find this a complete insult to their memory and sacrifice.
Anyway, rant over :x

Victoria Derbyshire, Sargon's inqusitor no less.
https://i.imgur.com/i4Gq469.jpg
It looks like they've got Trump in for an interview. What's your problem?

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

What exactly are the rules of etiquette as to which public figures can be mocked & when & how?

Keating

Post by Keating »

It's okay if it's someone you don't like. It's not okay if you like the person.

SM1957

Post by SM1957 »

MarcusAu wrote: What exactly are the rules of etiquette as to which public figures can be mocked & when & how?
Should Presidents of the United States be mocked on a BBC news programme?

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

SM1957 wrote: Should Presidents of the United States be mocked on a BBC news programme?
No, the BBC should maintain their traditional neutral stance.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

MarcusAu wrote: No, the BBC should maintain their traditional neutral stance.
https://media.giphy.com/media/Nn2wW3g0hwDEA/giphy.gif

+1 Internets, sir!

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

That complete cunt Galloway has been sacked by his radio show for an anti-semitic tweet. His response was "See you in court, guys."

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Lsuoma wrote: That complete cunt Galloway has been sacked by his radio show for an anti-semitic tweet. His response was "See you in court, guys."

He should hire a jewish lawyer.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Lsuoma wrote: That complete cunt Galloway has been sacked by his radio show for an anti-semitic tweet. His response was "See you in court, guys."

That ardent Spurs fan David Lammy has strangely gone awfully quiet. :think:

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

shoutinghorse wrote:

That ardent Spurs fan David Lammy has strangely gone awfully quiet. :think:
You mean the guy who has a Klingon forehead buried between his eyes?