You is all a bunch of poofs!

Old subthreads
ThreeFlangedJavis

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:24 am
And now it appears I've been shadow-banned at WEIT. The gun control thread was, unsurprisingly, drowned in the ranting and insults of the local baboons, with only a few commenters interested in debating concrete policy points.
It is an article of faith with these guys that gun owners are idiots incapable of taking down a shooter without killing everyone else or getting in the way of the (absent) police. There is no room in their imaginations for an armed member of the public capable of resisting the shooter without wildly spraying ammo. I know I'd want a guy with a gun around, or a gun, if I was hiding under a table with the sound of gunshots getting nearer, but these antis can only ever imagine dumbass hicks being irresponsible. I'm sure there have been many instances of shooting victims who have had to wait in terror knowing they are going to die and wishing they'd been armed.

Driftless

Post by Driftless »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
And now it appears I've been shadow-banned at WEIT. The gun control thread was, unsurprisingly, drowned in the ranting and insults of the local baboons, with only a few commenters interested in debating concrete policy points.
It is an article of faith with these guys that gun owners are idiots incapable of taking down a shooter without killing everyone else or getting in the way of the (absent) police. There is no room in their imaginations for an armed member of the public capable of resisting the shooter without wildly spraying ammo. I know I'd want a guy with a gun around, or a gun, if I was hiding under a table with the sound of gunshots getting nearer, but these antis can only ever imagine dumbass hicks being irresponsible. I'm sure there have been many instances of shooting victims who have had to wait in terror knowing they are going to die and wishing they'd been armed.
One of the comments at WEIT was something like slowly reduce the number of guns in circulation and by the time they are all gone no one will feel they need one and then you are done. It is on the level of "war is bad so let's stop having wars". Nice sentiment but wrong species.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Driftless wrote:
ThreeFlangedJavis wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
One of the comments at WEIT was something like slowly reduce the number of guns in circulation and by the time they are all gone no one will feel they need one and then you are done. It is on the level of "war is bad so let's stop having wars". Nice sentiment but wrong species.
That was the inimitable Saul Sorrell-Till, massive cunt and complete moron.

The only reason they can imagine for owning a gun is as compensation for insecure masculinity. Seeing as they are all unswole low-T effete urbanites, I call projection.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Yeah, so none of my comments make it through at WEIT now. WTF.

ThreeFlangedJavis

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:31 pm
Unsurprising. Jerry Coyne tends to suddenly remember the roolz when someone has irritated him. He's basically told people to get fucked in the past for single comments he has interpreted very uncharitably. You've been showing blatantly unprogressive tendencies for an extended period so I'm surprised you aren't outright banned. You should go out with a fuck you by linking a critique Justicar made a few years ago pointing out the big flaws in an anti-gun post of Coyne's.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Bloody alarmists.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:31 pm
Unsurprising. Jerry Coyne tends to suddenly remember the roolz when someone has irritated him. He's basically told people to get fucked in the past for single comments he has interpreted very uncharitably. You've been showing blatantly unprogressive tendencies for an extended period so I'm surprised you aren't outright banned. You should go out with a fuck you by linking a critique Justicar made a few years ago pointing out the big flaws in an anti-gun post of Coyne's.
As with capital punishment, gun control turns these lefties into screaming banshees. No reasonable discourse is possible with them.

Coyne would ban all handguns and all shotguns except break-action, which are only good for skeet shooting and duck hunting -- I really wanted to mention that! So, basically every self defense weapon, including my semi-automatic and my GF's pump action.

No jokes about that last one, people. She never short-strokes.

Fuck it, it's his blog he can ban me if he likes. But a shadow ban is chickenshit.

mordacious1

Post by mordacious1 »

On the other hand, they’re more interesting than Zebra Fish:

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Konnie Huq lost her Remainer shit:

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: <snip>
Fuck it, it's his blog he can ban me if he likes. But a shadow ban is chickenshit.
I had a problem for a while where my comments would not appear. I e-mailed Jerry and was told they had gone into the spam folder for unknown reasons and he fixed it. Might be worth a try.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

I noticed the same thing. But then realised that I was not posting anything there.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

mordacious1 wrote: On the other hand, they’re more interesting than Zebra Fish:
"Tamandua? What does that mean in Venezuelan?"
"Eater of ants."

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

screwtape wrote:
I had a problem for a while where my comments would not appear. I e-mailed Jerry and was told they had gone into the spam folder for unknown reasons and he fixed it. Might be worth a try.
Maybe. But I can also use this as an imposed break from fruitless squabbling with complete blockheads on the internet to do more stuff IRL. Like practice my gun kata.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote: Konnie Huq lost her Remainer shit:

Konnie's gone a bit weird since she hooked up with Charlie Brooker. Damn waste of a delightfully fetching airheaded popsy if you ask me.

Oh, and inB4 'Yes, it is a damn waste of Charlie Brooker' because that's not who I'm referring to and you all damn well bloody well know it.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
screwtape wrote:
Maybe. But I can also use this as an imposed break from fruitless squabbling with complete blockheads on the internet to do more stuff IRL. Like practice my gun kata.
Yes, cider pressing season is upon us once again. Better things to do!

mordacious1

Post by mordacious1 »

screwtape wrote: <sniper>
Ah, my favorite PUA move...
Put a little cider inside her.

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

Bhurzum wrote:
Tried to get tickets to see it at the Toronto International Film Festival in a week and couldn't even though I'm a TIFF member and had early access to tickets. Apparently it entirely sold out from people who buy big multi-film ticket packages, who had the earliest access. So, the buzz is huge.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

mordacious1 wrote:
screwtape wrote: <sniper>
Ah, my favorite PUA move...
Put a little cider inside her.
I've always done my best not to get involved with CPS

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Speaking of movies...is anyone else looking forward to this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-TdAi4FW-Y

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote:
Cato's Patrick Michaels is usually held up as one of those anti-alarmists just looking for truth, but it's obvious that his game is to discredit climate research and he doesn't care if he has to misrepresent research papers and scrub inconvenient data. One of his most notable examples is where he took Hansen's paper which presented curves based on different emissions scenarios, removed the lower emissions curves and presented this as proof of how flawed the models were when in fact the middle curve, which Hansen had favoured, was quite accurate.
I have issues with Patrick Michaels just as I do with Richard Linzen. Both have become activists as well as being bona fide, and in the case of Lindzen, distinguished climate scientists. And when they're in activist mode, they can be quite uncareful.

In the case of the example you mentioned, it would have been fair enough to exclude the lowest emission projection, since that assumed rapid curtailment of CO2 emissions and that obviously didn't occur. Hansen's highest emission projection was for what he termed 'business as usual' CO2 production, which actually assumed a large acceleration of CO2 emissions. The middle scenario was for a reduced linear increase in CO2 emissions. I don't know if Michaels thought the 'business as usual' scenario was the closest to reality as far as CO2 was concerned and so focused on that, or he was being actively misleading. In actual fact both of these scenarios over-predicted actual CO2 levels by large margins. Even if it was an honest mistake, as a scientist he should have been more careful and I don't cut him any slack.

What I fault him the most for is even bringing up the Hansen graphs in 2009 when he gave this testimony. By that time the model Hansen used was a toy compared to what currently existed, and focusing on it was roughly akin to a creationist critiquing evolution by trying to find fault with Darwin's original research. It really didn't matter what Hansen's original model predicted at that point, and even climate change activist PR site like Skeptical Science concedes this model overestimates warning, while debunking Michael's ridiculous claim that it was off by a factor of 4. As it turned out, Michaels' presentation wildly backfired because it's the basis of a widely held belief that the climate change skeptic claim that most climate models over-predict warming has been debunked, when it's actually very clear that they mostly do over-predict warming.
ThreeFlangedJavis wrote: These self-described "anti-alarmist" think-tanks host fast-talking carney acts like Willie Soon. Heartland hold events with science denying liars like Monckton. The "anti-alarmist" claim is a fig-leaf. Their obvious objective is to discredit the scientific consensus and they aren't doing it because of any genuine scientific skepticism.
No, the anti-alarmist objective is to focus on what the actual scientific consensus is and argue effects are likely to be on the low end of the consensus range. The scientific consensus is that atmospheric [CO2] is increasing due to man-made emissions, the earth has warmed a little over 1 deg C in the last 100 years, and the increase in [CO2] is the predominant factor in that increase and will continue to cause warming. Any claim that catastrophic outcomes are part of the scientific consensus is Motte and Bailey bafflegab. Extending your argument to the other side, climate change activists claiming to be just science-based realists often claim worst-case scenarios as scientific consensus or use wildly misleading pictures like the famous polar bear on melting iceburg. Does this discredit the science-based realist position? Of course not.

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

MarcusAu wrote: Speaking of movies...is anyone else looking forward to this one?

Tried, but sold out quickly at TIFF also.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

jugheadnaut wrote: Tried to get tickets to see it at the Toronto International Film Festival in a week and couldn't even though I'm a TIFF member and had early access to tickets. Apparently it entirely sold out from people who buy big multi-film ticket packages, who had the earliest access. So, the buzz is huge.
Yup. The earliest reviews, post-embargo, are absolutely glowing. It scored 85% on Rotten tomatoes (hate the site but it was the first to review the movie) and is still showing a very popular average. I'm a huge fan of Joaquin Phoenix and hope he gets an Oscar nod if his performance is as good as everyone is saying.

The trailer certainly has me hooked...

BoxNDox

Post by BoxNDox »

MarcusAu wrote: Speaking of movies...is anyone else looking forward to this one?

Top of my must see list, based on his having done What We Do in the Shadows. That's the director playing Hitler. He also directed Thor Ragnarok.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Tigzy wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote: Konnie Huq lost her Remainer shit:

Konnie's gone a bit weird since she hooked up with Charlie Brooker. Damn waste of a delightfully fetching airheaded popsy if you ask me.

Oh, and inB4 'Yes, it is a damn waste of Charlie Brooker' because that's not who I'm referring to and you all damn well bloody well know it.
This video might tickle your fancy (by which I mean excite you sexually).

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

BoxNDox wrote: That's the director playing Hitler. He also directed Thor Ragnarok.
He certainly caused quite a bit of 'Sturm und Drang' even a Bliztkreig - but I don't think it got quite to the level of Ragnarok.

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

BoxNDox wrote:
jugheadnaut wrote:
Just like it's impossible to say man didn't go to the moon without a hoax being necessarily implied, it's also impossible to assert there's been no climate change without implying a hoax.
Wow, talk about a ridiculous comparison. When you say the moon landing didn't actually happen despite all the recordings, pictures, samples, etc. a hoax has to be involved. But it's entirely possible to claim that the scientific consensus on climate change is incorrect without also claiming there's malfeasance involved.
You're strawmanning what I said. The comparison was with those that claim there's been no recent climate change (which is literally what you said the Kochs were funding), not with claims that the scientific consensus is incorrect. I'm not going to compare the evidence for recent climate change with evidence for man on the moon directly, but let's just say they're both overwhelming, to the point that denying them while being aware of the evidence would imply belief in a hoax. But this is an argument over word choice, so let's move on.
jugheadnaut wrote: Koch-funded groups that had a climate change position were generally anti-alarmist, meaning they believed the consequences of climate change will be at the low end of the range forecast by the IPCC and will be quite manageable and almost certainly cheaper and less economically disruptive than almost all of the CO2 reducing solutions that are commonly advocated. That said, I'm not going to vouch for everyone Koch affiliated groups invited to speak to a conference or published. There are some in this group that have become pure contrarians, like Singer and the odious Christopher Moncton, and only seek arguments against CO2 being harmful and no longer care what the actual truth is. But the denier brush is then used to tar genuine scientists like Roy Spencer, John Christie, Judith Curry, Nir Shaviv, Henrik Svensmark, Ryan Maue, Roger Pielke (both Sr. and Jr.) and educated analysts like Steve McIntyre, Bjorn Lomborg, and Nic Lewis. These are the type of people that are the mainstays which groups like Cato, Heritage, and Heartland invite to conferences and publish.
BoxNDox wrote: Tenses, tenses. When Cato backed Singer it was already pretty damned obvious where he stood.
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Singer never actually held a position with Cato. I believe the sole association with him was publishing a few opinion pieces that he was the co-author on. His actual employment was with groups that went farther than Cato was willing to. I don't think he's had anything to do with Cato for a long time, but he's in his 90's now, and hopefully completely retired. Cato, to its credit, has moderated its position over the last 20 years and closed it's science analysis department about 10 years ago and focuses on regulation analysis.
jugheadnaut wrote: As things stand, the anti-alarmist case that climate CO2 sensitivity is on the low side, or slightly lower than the range forecast by the IPCC rests in part, contra what you said about no credible case for a major error in the models, on the models being consistently biased to more warming than is actually observed:
http://www.drroyspencer.com/wp-content/ ... 24x921.png
This graph was produced by Roy Spencer and John Christie, and lest you want to call them deniers and ignore it, here's the abstract from a 2017 paper by Ben Santer, a member in good standing of the 'it's really, really cereal' climate science team stating "In the early twenty-first century, satellite-derived tropospheric warming trends were generally smaller than trends estimated from a large multi-model ensemble".
BoxNDox wrote: Actually, it' pretty darned easy to discount once you look at the time scale and note it only goes back to 1983. Now, as for why tropospheric data specifically has diverged somewhat from predictions starting in 2005 or so, there are lots of possible explanations given the shortness of the time scale. And the fact that Santer and others are concerned enough about the discrepancies to be looking at it says something in and of itself. Maybe it will result in adjustment of the models, maybe not. (And maybe it already has - I don't follow this stuff all that closely, and even if I did I'm not plugged into the preprint system to know where current thinking is on this.)

But this is nowhere near sufficient to support a conclusion that the climate system is much less sensitive to CO2 than previously thought.
The reason it only goes back to 1983 is that CMIP5 is an effort to standardize the outputs from various different modelling groups around the world. It's supposed to start at 1983, and be tuned to hindcast for a period before that. The hindcasting is one reason why they're reasonably accurate in the very short term before drifting higher than actual results. And, again, you're strawmanning what i said. I didn't say it supported a conclusion that the climate system is much less sensitive to CO2 than previously thought, I said it was evidence that the climate sensitivity is on the low side of the range it is thought to be. On its own, you're right, it's not conclusive, just a piece of evidence. If there had been a major volcanic eruption in the aughts, one would expect the models to be high even while being essentially accurate. But it's hard to find a natural forcing of anywhere near this magnitude during this period.

It's not the only piece of evidence. There have been a few papers published since AR5 that directly studied climate sensitivity and concluded the equilibrium sensitivity was in the lower end of the AR5 range, most recently Lewis & Curry, 2018 published in the Journal of Climate, which gave a best estimate equilibrium climate sensitivity range of 1.5-1.66 deg C. There's also the Nir Shaviv argument, which was discussed here a few months ago, that the models underestimate cloud formation (an area where they are particularly weak) because they were tuned from data from a decades long period of higher than normal solar activity which reduced galactic cosmic ray incidence and resulted in less cloud formation and higher temperatures, but the models made no allowance for this.

As far as newer models, CMIP6 should be coming out shortly in preparation for AR6 (it's already about a year overdue). I'm definitely interested in seeing what the latest sets of standardized models are saying.

fafnir

Post by fafnir »

jugheadnaut wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:03 pm
As far as newer models, CMIP6 should be coming out shortly in preparation for AR6 (it's already about a year overdue). I'm definitely interested in seeing what the latest sets of standardized models are saying.
I know nothing about any of this, but if it's true that we are at the bottom end of the previous models, then the new models will closely match the newer observations they were based on and will then start tracking up at an increased rate in the near future.

John D

Post by John D »

Not that I expect any help here. I just enjoy writing my thoughts. It helps me frame things. So here goes.

Youall probably might remember how often I have praised my wife years ago. We have been happily married for decades. We raised two kids together...we have never been unfaithful. She has had health problems for years now, but I have always had enough energy and health to fill in the gaps. I never expected her to be as productive or make nearly as much money as I do. The kids have moved out on their own so it is just us two and the dogo.

Things were going well up till about two years ago when her health declined more and she started to dislike her job. I have always felt that her part time job was critical to her well being. She worked in the office of a grade school. She loves kids and knows the processes at the school. I was always concerned if she stopped working because during summer break she would do absolutely nothing. I mean... really... nothing. Maybe a doctor appointment and massage once per week. Otherwise it was generally 18 hours a day in bed.... the remaining time dedicated to watching TV.

So, she quit her job at the end of last year and said she wanted to work as a sub instead of part time every day. I thought it was a bad plan, but she did it. She hated her boss at the time and they had her working 6 hours a day which was hard for her. So, the new school year has started and she has worked as a sub for one day. At the end of the day her boss told her she needed to fill out an application and get her finger prints done again. This is the process they use to get a sub. Of course it is stupid, and a waist of time, but you can't fight with the government over a process. Even though she worked there for years she has to re-apply... government bs.

The whole idea that she had to re-apply for work frosted her so much that she has been mad for the last two weeks. She is refusing to re-apply for work. She has been seething literally for two weeks. She is angry with me and everything. She will not go to lunch and shooting with a friend this weekend. She will not kiss or hug me. She doesn't even say she loves me when I say it to her. We had a nice little trip with our daughter to the Michigan Mission peninsula and she was unhappy the whole time.

And.. I am thinking she is pretty broken. Part of me is feeling resentful. She is acting like a 12 year old. She is punishing me for nothing. She is staying angry just to feel angry. I think she is using this incident to blame her boss for all her problems.... and this provides her an excuse to sleep all day.

The sad part is that I am starting to not care about her. She does nothing to help herself and when I try to help her she attacks me. If I don't do something perfectly she attacks me. She makes promises to do things around the house and then yells at me that I haven't done it myself. I have no interest in sex. I just feel like an abused nurse.

She has threatened to kill herself on and off throughout our entire marriage... and for the first time I am thinking... ummmm... okay.

mordacious1

Post by mordacious1 »

I’m sure many of you remember the Brock Turner rape case. His victim (cough) has just released her memoir:
https://abcnews.go.com/amp/US/victim-br ... d=65385613

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

screwtape wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: But I can also use this as an imposed break from fruitless squabbling with complete blockheads on the internet to do more stuff IRL. Like practice my gun kata.
Or tend to my own blog --

The Unbearable Lightness of Beto

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

But this one can lose you your job. Warning: Possible dox of Gefan.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Ah well, alternatives are available.

To whit - I watched 'Performance' last night (which I'd not seen in years). Enjoyed it very much - though I'm not sure it has been fisked by the current pro & anti's to determine if it has the correct degree of moral rectitude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mggYe5E5laU

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

John D wrote: And.. I am thinking she is pretty broken. Part of me is feeling resentful. She is acting like a 12 year old. She is punishing me for nothing. She is staying angry just to feel angry. I think she is using this incident to blame her boss for all her problems.... and this provides her an excuse to sleep all day.
Sounds like a good school shooting would do her a world of good.

/black humor of course. The bad times will pass as always; the gooder times will return.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

mordacious1 wrote: I’m sure many of you remember the Brock Turner rape case. His victim (cough) has just released her memoir:
https://abcnews.go.com/amp/US/victim-br ... d=65385613
It took her this long to remember it because she was drunk off her ass, as was Turner. This case was all about alcohol. Turner may be a privileged little pretty boy (look at his picture), but he's no rapist. His mug shot is what convicted him. Throw in two self-righteous Swedes and you have a shitfest to end all shitfests.

ThreeFlangedJavis

jugheadnaut wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:52 am
ThreeFlangedJavis wrote: These self-described "anti-alarmist" think-tanks host fast-talking carney acts like Willie Soon. Heartland hold events with science denying liars like Monckton. The "anti-alarmist" claim is a fig-leaf. Their obvious objective is to discredit the scientific consensus and they aren't doing it because of any genuine scientific skepticism.
No, the anti-alarmist objective is to focus on what the actual scientific consensus is and argue effects are likely to be on the low end of the consensus range. The scientific consensus is that atmospheric [CO2] is increasing due to man-made emissions, the earth has warmed a little over 1 deg C in the last 100 years, and the increase in [CO2] is the predominant factor in that increase and will continue to cause warming. Any claim that catastrophic outcomes are part of the scientific consensus is Motte and Bailey bafflegab. Extending your argument to the other side, climate change activists claiming to be just science-based realists often claim worst-case scenarios as scientific consensus or use wildly misleading pictures like the famous polar bear on melting iceburg. Does this discredit the science-based realist position? Of course not.
That may be the objective of ant-alarmists. However I don't think you can call organisations that promote liars whose obvious objective is to stick whatever spoke in the wheel they can anti-alarmist. Whatever climate change activists claim has absolutely nothing to do with the science, which is what these think tanks are trying to discredit. Whatever "just asking questions" bullshit they put out in their PR doesn't change the fact that they give a stage to liars. The personal opinions of climate scientists, climate change activists, think tanks or anyone else mean little. The science is what matters and that is what the think tanks are attacking by employing conspiracy theories, but muh Galileo, conflation of green activism with science, appeals to libertarianism, personal attacks on scientists and attacks on the entire field of climatology itself. Anyone who attacks research papers by cherry picking subsets of it and neglecting to mention the main body of it, thereby utterly distorting it, is not engaged in any kind of objective activity.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

When Tucker Carlson has to make the points liberals used to, the world is truly off the rails:

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

And I always thought that 'Christian Onion' was a reference to Veggie Tales

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

BoxNDox wrote:

Top of my must see list, based on his having done What We Do in the Shadows. That's the director playing Hitler. He also directed Thor Ragnarok.
"Hi. We're just going off to have a holocaust. Wanna come?'

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

That reminds me - I must watch 'Oh What a Lovely War' again.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

That Carlson video appears to be gone now. Summary?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Lsuoma wrote: That Carlson video appears to be gone now. Summary?
Still there when I just checked.

Lefties are praising Walmart for ending sales of ammo (actually letting existing stocks on shelves sell out), forgetting their longstanding demonizing of Walmart. Carlson slams them for their hypocrisy, then goes on to eviscerate Walmart for not paying benefits, killing local economies , and turning us into China's bitch.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Lsuoma wrote: That Carlson video appears to be gone now. Summary?
Still there when I just checked.

Lefties are praising Walmart for ending sales of ammo (actually letting existing stocks on shelves sell out), forgetting their longstanding demonizing of Walmart. Carlson slams them for their hypocrisy, then goes on to eviscerate Walmart for not paying benefits, killing local economies , and turning us into China's bitch.
Yeah, I can get to it now for some reason.

Interesting.

John D: I don't really have any help to offer here, but I'm glad to be able to provide a venue for you to share things like this - I know it helps a teeny tiny bit.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Fashion Week is here again. This morning was the runway show for a young, avant-guarde label from Shanghai called Dirty Pineapple. This was my 2nd time working for them. Last year they hired me to place an 'island' of broken yellow glass on the floor, as decor. I'm briefly seen in this video montage:

Today's show was in a city-block-sized building, full of studios, each rented-out to various brand labels for a half-day or few-hours. In & out quick, so the next show can happen. The venue is full-service one-stop shopping-- providing everything from lighting & sound tech crews, to bottled water, to credentials on lanyards, mirrors & irons & steamers for the hair & make-up teams-- all for one price, instead of having to source all sorts of vendors and items. Which makes me almost-redundant, since those are the sorts of things I'm usually hired to shop-for/load-in/assemble/help-with.

Today was a breeze. Went to work at 6:30am/ out by 11am. The 20-or-so models were cast to look like a group of young friends hanging-out together... and they did laugh & hang-out & didn't act like divas. In the hallway, I saw Dapper Dan-- Harlem's venerable, always-overdressed, fashion interloper, who cut-apart logo-covered designer luggage & re-assembled the material into ghetto-fabulous clothing for 80's rappers. Years-ago Dapper Dan was shut-down with lawyer's cease & desist letters, but now the same labels copy his styles & hire him to add street-cred to their offerings.

https://images.complex.com/complex/imag ... dapper-dan

The counterpoint to this post is John D's description of his wife's routine. I'm not as self-motivated as I used to be, less likely to explore the world & be open to new positive discoveries. If not for the semi-steady emails & texts offering me interesting work for half-a-day here or 4 days there-- I hardly leave the apartment, except to walk my dog a few blocks-- or bicycle to my po box. Like Mrs. D-- I was my own worst enemy when I let all my IDs lapse & became nearly-unemployable for a year & had difficulty motivating-myself to remedy my situation.

SImilarly, my retired parents recently bought a house in the Southwest-- to escape midwestern winters. I learned of this from a lachrymose email from my ma-- in which she lamented that they had waited to long to make the change: they're too old to enjoy the outdoorsy natural wonders of their new home/ too old to make new friends easily/ leaving-behind my dad's circle of friends at the VFW & shooting range-- in favor a a place where the VFW is 12 do-nothing drunk guys, unhappily split into the english-speakers & spanish-speakers.

Inertia is a bitch.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

ESPN's Body Issue is out.

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/ ... body-issue#!

A few of the women are quite nice. The men are sure to please if that's your bag of tea.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: When Tucker Carlson has to make the points liberals used to, the world is truly off the rails:
Cato has a podcast about the newfangled 'National Conservativism', which Tucker has been espousing, lately.

Their analysis is that Republicans see the old GOP talking-points as a losing hand-- in future presidential elections. So they're jettisoning the Koch/libertarian small government/ less spending/ individual rights platform, in favor of pandering directly to Norman-Rockwell Christianity & pork-spending & playing-offense on issues like abortion.

https://www.cato.org/multimedia/cato-da ... ationalism

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Peezed gets a little pushback regarding his no-Epstein-money idealism:

https://web.archive.org/save/https://fr ... n-problem/

Indeed, why the proscription against separating Epstein from his money? It seems obvious this is just another means to brand people with wrongthink. Watch the vid linked by booberry of Steve Irwin. So obviously the right way of thinking about it.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Hunt wrote: Peezed gets a little pushback regarding his no-Epstein-money idealism:

Indeed, why the proscription against separating Epstein from his money? It seems obvious this is just another means to brand people with wrongthink. Watch the vid linked by booberry of Steve Irwin. So obviously the right way of thinking about it.
PZ's comment on his own post is pure insanity:
PZ Myers
5 September 2019 at 10:09 am

It ought to be illegal to be a billionaire.

I make a middle class income, will be poor when I retire (if I am able to), and what earnings I will make will be diminished because rich assholes siphon off much of that investment income to profit themselves.

Keating

Post by Keating »

Perhaps one of the weirdest things about the current era, is that some of the more interesting conversations are happening between atheists and the religious.

Paul VanderKlay's videos can be fascinating too.

That's probably part of the decline of the Slymepit. At the time, it looked like an invasion of just the atheist "community", but it's now clear that this shit has infested everything, even religion. In that light, a forum dedicated to just the effects on atheism is too small.

I can't say I've had any desire to attend any atheist events in years. It's clearly thinking too small.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Keating wrote: Perhaps one of the weirdest things about the current era, is that some of the more interesting conversations are happening between atheists and the religious.

That's probably part of the decline of the Slymepit. At the time, it looked like an invasion of just the atheist "community", but it's now clear that this shit has infested everything, even religion. In that light, a forum dedicated to just the effects on atheism is too small.

I can't say I've had any desire to attend any atheist events in years. It's clearly thinking too small.
One of the few places online where I can have a rational, adult discussion is Jane The Actuary at Patheos.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/janetheactuary/

"Jane" is a mainline Catholic who leans center-right politically. But she makes a hell of a lot of sense. She also allows opposing views to be expressed and will engage earnestly & civilly if her interlocutor does as well.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Was anyone here ever not talking cordially with religious people?

Most would even share voting patterns with these populations. Which makes for some kind of detente.

Is there a new set of criteria for sorting the wheat from the chaff? Or just a reordering of priorities?

All I can say is that an ex-catholic - that system was not to my taste and probably not christianity in general either. Perhaps something more esoteric would be a better fit - pantheism, pagngism, sufism, wicca, thelema or asatru are all options which broadly speaking are just as plausible.

Believe what you want to believe.

Keating

Post by Keating »

Eh, debates about whether god exists, however cordial, aren’t very interesting, and ultimately pointless because it isn’t a position you reason your way into (and probably out of either, if I’m honest). But, going into the underlying meaning crisis that’s at the heart of the Western malaise, is fascinating.

To put it another way, the stuff that’s being talked about between atheists and the religious today holds my interest much more than the debates that went on a decade ago.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Seems pointless to divide people into those categories unless they are discussing something in relation to religion.

Ah well if people want to discuss politics rather than religion - they can follow their bliss.

Namaste.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

John D - it's a pity when we make our marriage vows that we are not explicit about penalty clauses in the contract. It would appear your missus has decided that not pulling her weight and being entirely dependent on you is a viable mode of life. And so it has been, but you won't stand it forever. No one would blame you if you decided the situation was untenable, and it is a certainty that the prospect of losing her personal servant will be the one thing that will motivate her, but not in a helpful way like trying to be a contributing partner again. That will probably turn quite nasty, so if you eventually decide you've had enough I'm guessing (I have no experience of divorce and hope I never do) that to quietly plan ahead with a good lawyer will be the best idea. Best of luck for whatever lies ahead.

John D

Post by John D »

screwtape wrote: John D - it's a pity when we make our marriage vows that we are not explicit about penalty clauses in the contract. It would appear your missus has decided that not pulling her weight and being entirely dependent on you is a viable mode of life. And so it has been, but you won't stand it forever. No one would blame you if you decided the situation was untenable, and it is a certainty that the prospect of losing her personal servant will be the one thing that will motivate her, but not in a helpful way like trying to be a contributing partner again. That will probably turn quite nasty, so if you eventually decide you've had enough I'm guessing (I have no experience of divorce and hope I never do) that to quietly plan ahead with a good lawyer will be the best idea. Best of luck for whatever lies ahead.
We are going to see a marriage councilor next Saturday. We will see how it goes. I have a pretty good sense of what I am struggling with.... and that is a building resentment for her. If a start to feel too much resentment we will not be able to stay together. This will be an interesting ride. I hope we can be honest without being cruel.

I could pull out of the relationship at any time, but I really don't know if it would make me very happy. I really do care for her and I am a natural at the provider/protector role... I actually like it. I just don't feel like I should be lied to and manipulated. It is a tricky relationship. My wife has told me she doesn't want me to stay with her just out of a sense of duty. Well, there are times when my sense of duty is all that I have to keep us together. She may want to rethink that. She may not "prefer" it, that I sometimes stay out of a sense of duty.... but she is probably best off if shes accepts it.

It is not like I want a relationship with another woman. Most women I know have too many problems/defects for me to deal with. My wife once asked me why I don't just find another women and I replied : "Why would I give some bitch half my money?"

John D

Post by John D »

Keating wrote: Eh, debates about whether god exists, however cordial, aren’t very interesting, and ultimately pointless because it isn’t a position you reason your way into (and probably out of either, if I’m honest). But, going into the underlying meaning crisis that’s at the heart of the Western malaise, is fascinating.

To put it another way, the stuff that’s being talked about between atheists and the religious today holds my interest much more than the debates that went on a decade ago.
I agree. The debate about the literal existence of Jesus is super boring to me. I used to find this kind of thing interesting, but I have a very clear picture in my mind of what may have happened in the Jesus story, so there is no additional ground to plow. I used to think that you could debate a Christian literalist into doubting the literal nature of the Passion, but it is not really possible... so why bother.

The interesting stuff I have been thinking about lately has to do with ethical models... their origin... their consistency (or lack thereof)... their potential universality. I call myself a Christian Atheist. Perhaps there is a better word for what I am, but this will suffice. I remember laughing out loud what David Silverman from AA went on his rant about refusing to be called a "Jewish Atheist". I was thinking of shouting at him.... "Of course you are a Jewish Atheist you fucking heeb." Haha. No one simply creats their ethics out of thin air. This shit has to be a blend of behavioral evolution, cultural stories, and logic....etc.

Dan Dennett was one of the first to understand the dilemma of finding an ethical model without a religious base (other than Nietzsche of course). People like Sam Harris are completely out to lunch. It is still fun to listen to Sam however... even though I think he is mostly full of shit.

and finally... I don't know how or when it happened, but there has been a strange and slow blending of atheists into a leftist Christian philosophy.... and vice versa. The left leaning Christians and atheists have a very simple and idealistic ethical model. Empathy is everything... and I mean EVERYTHING. This is the place where my daughter, Christian cousin, and PZ Myers are all in. These people see the suffering of families at the US border and their ONLY solution is to let them all in. And I am like: "Wait! There are hundreds of millions of those people! You can't just let them in!" They just shrug and say they don't care because it is the "right" thing to do. I have a word for these people. I call them "ninnies". A ninny is a person who thinks the world will work the way they want it to just because it should. They are entirely impractical. Years ago, a ninny used to be wise enough to at least admit they were a ninny.... but today's ninny is so sheltered and protected that they believe they can actually make the world a better place... just with love... or fucking magic... or faith... or some such shit.

My oldest daughter has become a ninny, and she surrounds herself with ninnies. We were having a heated discussion a while back and I attacked her saying "I thought I taught you to be honest and see the world as it really is!" to which she replied: "I can't live in the world as it really is!"

Oh fuck.... that's not good.

Then she says she doesn't follow politics while simultaneously saying we need more gun control and we need to let penis holders into women's bathrooms.

Fucking ninny!

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

End gender segregation now!

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Service Dog wrote:
Hunt wrote: Peezed gets a little pushback regarding his no-Epstein-money idealism:

PZ's comment on his own post is pure insanity:
PZ Myers
5 September 2019 at 10:09 am

It ought to be illegal to be a billionaire.

I make a middle class income, will be poor when I retire (if I am able to), and what earnings I will make will be diminished because rich assholes siphon off much of that investment income to profit themselves.
That is jaw-droppingly stupid, I'm literally stunned that an actual professor wrote that!

Myers (and his ilk) are supposedly part of the intellectual elite - that group of society who are operating on a level of intelligence which soars beyond the capacity of your average working stiff. Somehow, from his lofty vantage point in the academia ivory tower, a great place from which to issue edicts to the rest of us, he has been blindsided by his own financial underachieving and inadequacy. A truly delicious and amusing state of affairs!

Paul, if you're reading this, I want you to know a few things:

1) I'm a knuckle-dragging idiot with only a handful of brain cells rattling around inside my noggin.

2) I retired (full retirement, mind, not partial) at 41 years of age.

3) I own my own house, two cars and a small boat.

4) I have enough disposable income (without lifting a finger to make/earn it) that I can afford to splash out (drink, fancy dinners, clothes etc) every weekend.

Now, Paul, you tell me - who is the real fucking idiot?

https://media3.giphy.com/media/3o6ozoWd ... source.gif