You is all a bunch of poofs!

Matt Cavanaugh
.
.
Posts: 12384
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:38 pm
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#7021

Post by Matt Cavanaugh » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:05 am

John D wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:12 am
We are going to see a marriage councilor next Saturday. We will see how it goes.
John, are you prepared to have your wife 5150'd? Cuz if she mentions suicide in front of the counselor (an MFT?), as a Mandated Reporter they're obliged to commit her. Based on your recent description of how the situation has deteriorated, that may be the best outcome at this point. She's become inured to your entreaties, so outside professional intervention might be what it takes.

If possible, prior to the couple's session, you might want to talk just yourself with the counselor about your wife's suicidal ideation. In any case, make it the immediate & primary focus of the session, expressing it as your deep concern for her safety -- essentially ambushing your wife, sorry, don't tell her in advance you wish to focus on that. (NB: remember to address everything you say to your wife while looking at her -- even when it's for the benefit of the counselor.)

Long-term, it sounds like anti-depressants might be of great value for your wife. But as Screwtape, Lsuoma and others have mentioned, SSRIs can initially increase the likelihood of a suicide attempt. So, it might be better were she under professional supervision.

Sorry, man, this sucks beyond belief. But all your efforts so far have not panned out, so another course of action is probably required.

MarcusAu
.
.
Posts: 7076
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:49 am
Location: Llareggub
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#7022

Post by MarcusAu » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:09 am

RIP Mugabe.

You fucking arsehole.


Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead
Posts: 3969
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:08 am
Location: Lurking in a dumpster
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#7024

Post by Bhurzum » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:18 am

MarcusAu wrote: That's hardly unreasonable when the Weegee life expectancy for men is 47.
I'm made of titanium, mate - I'll outlive the sun.

MarcusAu
.
.
Posts: 7076
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:49 am
Location: Llareggub
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#7025

Post by MarcusAu » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:23 am

We are such stuff. As dreams are made on...

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit
Posts: 10620
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Punggye-ri
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#7026

Post by Lsuoma » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:31 am

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Long-term, it sounds like anti-depressants might be of great value for your wife. But as Screwtape, Lsuoma and others have mentioned, SSRIs can initially increase the likelihood of a suicide attempt. So, it might be better were she under professional supervision.

Sorry, man, this sucks beyond belief. But all your efforts so far have not panned out, so another course of action is probably required.
I believe that is primarily a risk when starting the meds, since it may give the motivation, otherwise suppressed, to actually get up your arse and top yourself.

I never had it. Except when I'm standing at the edge of a huge drop. Then, there is, and has always been, a voice calling me to jump.

And if you put a four-inch plank on the ground, I'll quite happily skip along it with no concern. When it's up in the air, well...

ThreeFlangedJavis
.
.
Posts: 1337
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:13 am
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#7027

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:26 pm

It won't happen if BoJo accepts Farrage's offer and The Brexit Party and Torys get out of each others way. The remainer MPs may have underestimated the extent to which they, and the media, have lifted the veil on the establishment's sense of entitlement to impose their own vision on the country and to feather their own nests. Britain is a nation, with an indigenous population, not a laboratory for the privileged to conduct social experiments. There is a definite whiff the of hatred of the white working class, as described by Orwell, amongst the intelligentsia. I get the impression that the media's one-sided scramble to crush Brexit and "populism" has been noted and Labour will be decimated in an election. The remainers still do not seem to have understood that Brexit is not primarily about economics. It is more about maintaining a sense of Britishness, something people rightly sense is disappearing fast. Brexit is only the first step.

free thoughtpolice
.
.
Posts: 10322
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:27 pm
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#7028

Post by free thoughtpolice » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:08 pm

John:
There is a standard screening test for clinical depression that is pretty much universally used. It only takes a few minutes to take and the score tells you instantly and confidentially if you are a candidate for seeking treatment:
https://depression.org.nz/is-it-depress ... sion-test/
Don't let know nothing assholes like Paul Joseph Watson and Marianne Williamson convince you that CD isn't a real thing and that those suffering from it are just experiencing normal sadness and they need to get spiritual, pull themselves up by the bootstraps or other bullshit that people that don't have a clue about what they are talking about say. And I wouldn't worry about your wife getting hopped up on SSRIs and shooting you. Screwtape has explained the suicide risk well. Not getting medicated is even more dangerous than the early risks.
I can tell you that SSRIs have been a lifesaver for me and allowed me to live a high quality of life.
I would caution you about therapists and people that offer counselling that aren't properly trained MDs or psychologists. A lot of places allow people that have no certification to hang out a shingle and call themselves therapists. They are frequently totally incompetent at discerning the difference between what is an organic mental illness or what is unhealthy behavior and are useless or worse.
Maybe CD isn't causing your wife's problem, you need a professional to evaluate that, but just from your description of her behavior it may well worth to be looking into.

Matt Cavanaugh
.
.
Posts: 12384
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:38 pm
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#7029

Post by Matt Cavanaugh » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:52 pm

free thoughtpolice wrote: John:
There is a standard screening test for clinical depression that is pretty much universally used. It only takes a few minutes to take and the score tells you instantly and confidentially if you are a candidate for seeking treatment:
https://depression.org.nz/is-it-depress ... sion-test/
Don't let know nothing assholes like Paul Joseph Watson and Marianne Williamson convince you that CD isn't a real thing and that those suffering from it are just experiencing normal sadness and they need to get spiritual, pull themselves up by the bootstraps or other bullshit that people that don't have a clue about what they are talking about say. And I wouldn't worry about your wife getting hopped up on SSRIs and shooting you. Screwtape has explained the suicide risk well. Not getting medicated is even more dangerous than the early risks.
I can tell you that SSRIs have been a lifesaver for me and allowed me to live a high quality of life.
I would caution you about therapists and people that offer counselling that aren't properly trained MDs or psychologists. A lot of places allow people that have no certification to hang out a shingle and call themselves therapists. They are frequently totally incompetent at discerning the difference between what is an organic mental illness or what is unhealthy behavior and are useless or worse.
Maybe CD isn't causing your wife's problem, you need a professional to evaluate that, but just from your description of her behavior it may well worth to be looking into.
Good points. Ideally, your counselor would be a licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (MFT) who practices Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). Most of the other 'modalities' are pretty much worthless. And this isn't even really a marriage counseling thing -- your wife is clinically depressed and needs professional intervention (and happy pills). If your counselor just sends you home with some worksheet for both of you to fill in, fire them and find another.

Matt Cavanaugh
.
.
Posts: 12384
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:38 pm
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#7030

Post by Matt Cavanaugh » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:51 pm

Regressive leftist online polemic stinky butt rag Liberal news website, ThinkProgress, shuts down:

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/4602 ... tting-down


Hunt
.
.
Posts: 3060
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:04 am
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#7032

Post by Hunt » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:48 pm

Abdul-Majeed Marouf Ahmed Alani? Yeah, thought so.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit
Posts: 10620
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Punggye-ri
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#7033

Post by Lsuoma » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:08 pm

Crap: I guessed either Osama-Majeed Marouf Ahmed Alani or Patrick O'Leary.

Feck!

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit
Posts: 10620
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Punggye-ri
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#7034

Post by Lsuoma » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:39 pm

Does Coyne read here? Ever since it was pointed out that the readers' section was all older white men, there has been more diversity...

mordacious1
.
.
Posts: 913
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:33 pm
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#7035

Post by mordacious1 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:33 pm

Lsuoma wrote: Does Coyne read here? Ever since it was pointed out that the readers' section was all older white men, there has been more diversity...
If by diverse, you mean including older white women, then yeah.

Service Dog
.
.
Posts: 4549
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:52 pm
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#7036

Post by Service Dog » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:39 pm

more Fashion Week. Today was small scale: I picked-up a rack of 20-or-so outfits from the designer's apartment. She has a high-powered day job in the cosmetics industry & these clothes are a passion project she does on the side. I delivered the clothes to a fancy hotel suite-- where a bunch of hair & make-up & jewelry & nailpolish people showed-up... and over a dozen models. And a film crew to document the looks, one to document the backstage bustle, and a video crew. Crowded. It rained, so I built a plastic-tarp-canopy on the big balcony-- to shoot windy outdoor 'look book' pics, against the rainy skyline. Then everybody traversed 300 feet in the rain to a speakeasy-themed bar/restaurant, to be seen by invitees. The models had a uniform haughty look... they looked great as a group. More like glamorous actresses/ than tall-alienbug runway models. The clothes were more-like very-well-constructed real clothes, than alien runway monstrosities.

https://i.imgur.com/0XobJ40.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/sVr7u7g.jpg

mordacious1
.
.
Posts: 913
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:33 pm
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#7037

Post by mordacious1 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:49 pm

I dated a model for a while. She used to carry a Baggie of styrofoam pellets in her purse which she would consume before ordering a meal in a restaurant. She was fucking hot, though.
I think Dr Hooks song, “When you’re in Love Witha Beautiful Woman” was written about us. I was afraid to go to the can in a restaurant, because I’d come back and there would be 4 guys hitting on her. Exhausting it was. I miss her though, she gave great headache.

InfraRedBucket
.
.
Posts: 1439
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:30 pm
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#7038

Post by InfraRedBucket » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:18 am

Hunt wrote: Abdul-Majeed Marouf Ahmed Alani? Yeah, thought so.
Lsuoma wrote: Crap: I guessed either Osama-Majeed Marouf Ahmed Alani or Patrick O'Leary.

Feck!
Clearly a terrorist motive:
A mechanic for American Airlines has been charged with attempting to sabotage a flight bound for the Bahamas from Miami in an apparent attempt to cause a delay that would allow him to work overtime.

Hunt
.
.
Posts: 3060
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:04 am
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#7039

Post by Hunt » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:50 am

Lsuoma wrote: Crap: I guessed either Osama-Majeed Marouf Ahmed Alani or Patrick O'Leary.

Feck!
Nooo. O'Leary? He hasn't blown up planes for years. Years! The moment I heard the description I knew it had to be that ol' rascal Marouf Ahmed Alani.

InfraRedBucket
.
.
Posts: 1439
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:30 pm
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#7040

Post by InfraRedBucket » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:29 am

Hunt wrote:
Nooo. O'Leary? He hasn't blown up planes for years. Years! The moment I heard the description I knew it had to be that ol' rascal Marouf Ahmed Alani.
Thee was that case a a while back of Marouf Ahmed Mohamed O'Leary.

Boy, he sure was radicalized.




Previously known as Marouf Ahmed Mohamed O'Leary Bader-Meinholf in the 1970s.

InfraRedBucket
.
.
Posts: 1439
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:30 pm
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#7041

Post by InfraRedBucket » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:32 am

InfraRedBucket wrote:
Hunt wrote:
Nooo. O'Leary? He hasn't blown up planes for years. Years! The moment I heard the description I knew it had to be that ol' rascal Marouf Ahmed Alani.
Thee was that case a a while back of Marouf Ahmed Mohamed O'Leary.

Boy, he sure was radicalized.




Previously known as Marouf Ahmed Mohamed O'Leary Bader-Meinholf in the 1970s.

In fact he couldn't decide who was just Bad, Baader or Baadest.

MarcusAu
.
.
Posts: 7076
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:49 am
Location: Llareggub
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#7042

Post by MarcusAu » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:49 am

Hunt wrote: O'Leary? He hasn't blown up planes for years.
The worst he ever got done for was shoplifting...

...about 6 inches off the foundations.

Clarence
.
.
Posts: 2086
Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 5:40 pm
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#7043

Post by Clarence » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:16 am

Want to know what our Best Girl Laurie Penny is up to?

https://www.wired.com/story/videogames- ... fragility/

A piece of her word-vomit: "The family’s wishes have been ignored; the backlash against Quinn and others has been relentless. According to the logic of an army of concern-trolls, Quinn has blood on their hands. They should have taken Holowka’s fragility into account before “ruining his life.” They are worse than a murderer. Quinn deleted their Twitter account after a barrage of harassment and threats, many of them from people who consider Quinn’s chief crime “inciting harassment.”

The scale of hypocrisy here is so staggering it's almost impressive. People, often young women, who dare to speak up can expect to face public harassment and private retribution. Young women can expect to be punished for the crimes men commit against them—but if they dare to speak up, they are the ones who are “ruining lives.”

The response to the death of Alec Holowka throws this double standard into razor-sharp relief. The harassment of Quinn and others has nothing to do with concern for Holowka and his family and everything to do with making examples of women and queer people who dare to speak out. The message is clear: Men’s mental health matters more than women’s. Men’s suffering and self-loathing is treated as a public concern, because men are permitted to be real people whose inner lives and dreams matter. Who cares, then, how many women they destroy along the way?"

She's just as disgusting as ever. Given all the leftwing 'woke' publications that are going broke these days, however, I wonder just how big a platform "Wired" is anymore.

Clarence
.
.
Posts: 2086
Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 5:40 pm
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#7044

Post by Clarence » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:22 am

I should also mention that Kiwifarms occasionally has good and useful people.
Far as I know they are the only place (that I've seen) that has Alec's obituary linked to.
Plus one of them did a deep dive (using advanced Twitter Search techniques) and found and posted screenshots (most of which taken down as they have been passed to the Canadian police - though in my opinion the odds of anything happening legally are de minimus)from the March and April 2012 timeframe in which Zoe was with Alek and the abuse allegedly happened. Lots of tweets, including days with well over a dozen. No HINT of abuse. Lots of joking. She draws a cute pic of Alek's face. Plus , at least part of the time during that frame someone was at the house with them. This is almost certainly a total nothingburger EVEN IF you didn't know Zoe's background.

ConcentratedH2O, OM
.
.
Posts: 6448
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:51 pm
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#7045

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:25 am

Clarence wrote: I should also mention that Kiwifarms occasionally has good and useful people.
Far as I know they are the only place (that I've seen) that has Alec's obituary linked to.
Plus one of them did a deep dive (using advanced Twitter Search techniques) and found and posted screenshots (most of which taken down as they have been passed to the Canadian police - though in my opinion the odds of anything happening legally are de minimus)from the March and April 2012 timeframe in which Zoe was with Alek and the abuse allegedly happened. Lots of tweets, including days with well over a dozen. No HINT of abuse. Lots of joking. She draws a cute pic of Alek's face. Plus , at least part of the time during that frame someone was at the house with them. This is almost certainly a total nothingburger EVEN IF you didn't know Zoe's background.
CLARENCE!!!!!!!!

https://i.imgur.com/Yssbj1D.jpg

Clarence
.
.
Posts: 2086
Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 5:40 pm
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#7046

Post by Clarence » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:30 am

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
Clarence wrote: I should also mention that Kiwifarms occasionally has good and useful people.
Far as I know they are the only place (that I've seen) that has Alec's obituary linked to.
Plus one of them did a deep dive (using advanced Twitter Search techniques) and found and posted screenshots (most of which taken down as they have been passed to the Canadian police - though in my opinion the odds of anything happening legally are de minimus)from the March and April 2012 timeframe in which Zoe was with Alek and the abuse allegedly happened. Lots of tweets, including days with well over a dozen. No HINT of abuse. Lots of joking. She draws a cute pic of Alek's face. Plus , at least part of the time during that frame someone was at the house with them. This is almost certainly a total nothingburger EVEN IF you didn't know Zoe's background.
CLARENCE!!!!!!!!

https://i.imgur.com/Yssbj1D.jpg
Yes, yes, I'm awesome, I know. (Takes a bow)

Hunt
.
.
Posts: 3060
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:04 am
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#7047

Post by Hunt » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:31 am

Pz is in high dudgeon over a charlatan working under aegis of Michael Shermer, that he ultimately exposed:

https://web.archive.org/save/https://fr ... us-expose/

Hmmm, let me see now...lying charlatan, published by someone for years without questioning the verity of their claims. That seems to ring a bell. Who, oh who could that remind me of...

Clarence
.
.
Posts: 2086
Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 5:40 pm
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#7048

Post by Clarence » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:38 am

Hunt wrote: Pz is in high dudgeon over a charlatan working under aegis of Michael Shermer, that he ultimately exposed:

https://web.archive.org/save/https://fr ... us-expose/

Hmmm, let me see now...lying charlatan, published by someone for years without questioning the verity of their claims. That seems to ring a bell. Who, oh who could that remind me of...
He is a real hypocritical fuckwad whose balls could never be kicked enough given how much of a festering cancerous sore he is on the intellectual asshole of humanity. And on top of that he fails to recognize his real blessings- whatever you think of them, he has a family who seems to love him. I will make my only kind wish for PZ (and given what he's done and who he's helped destroy he doesn't really deserve it) - I hope he wises up and gets off the internet or sticks to strictly biology. His politics is poison and its obvious it poisoned him long ago. He needs to get his head and heart in the right place or I suspect his future will be long lingering misery.

ConcentratedH2O, OM
.
.
Posts: 6448
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:51 pm
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#7049

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:40 am

Clarence wrote: He needs to get his head and heart in the right place or I suspect his future will be long lingering misery.
Tuvok just jizzed his pants.

Clarence
.
.
Posts: 2086
Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 5:40 pm
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#7050

Post by Clarence » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:41 am

Hunt wrote: Pz is in high dudgeon over a charlatan working under aegis of Michael Shermer, that he ultimately exposed:

https://web.archive.org/save/https://fr ... us-expose/

Hmmm, let me see now...lying charlatan, published by someone for years without questioning the verity of their claims. That seems to ring a bell. Who, oh who could that remind me of...
And yes, I know who you are referring to and this is hilarious. But the Peez will never allow his White Male Privilege to stand in the way of any claims by those he thinks are Appropriately Colored.

Clarence
.
.
Posts: 2086
Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 5:40 pm
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#7051

Post by Clarence » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:42 am

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
Clarence wrote: He needs to get his head and heart in the right place or I suspect his future will be long lingering misery.
Tuvok just jizzed his pants.
I bring joy whereever I go. Except if you are a fluffy bunny!

Clarence
.
.
Posts: 2086
Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 5:40 pm
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#7052

Post by Clarence » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:46 am

Thanks for the WANK MATERIAL Service Dog!

On a more serious note, I have read lots of your posts over the past 2 years. I really do hope you write a book someday.

MarcusAu
.
.
Posts: 7076
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:49 am
Location: Llareggub
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#7053

Post by MarcusAu » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:45 am


screwtape
.
.
Posts: 2329
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:15 am
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#7054

Post by screwtape » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:51 am

Power going on and off here as Dorian wanders slowly above us. Still have a cell connection even though supper is going to be cooked on a rocket stove. Just thought this would amuse (Ask if you want a referral for membership):
D0BC3B86-B954-4185-BEAA-83B032625FDD.png
(435.07 KiB) Downloaded 221 times
Do you want to be referred to as "them"? Let's say no thanks.

MarcusAu
.
.
Posts: 7076
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:49 am
Location: Llareggub
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#7055

Post by MarcusAu » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:02 am

No, not THEM! Anything but THEM!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4URRp39XOo

paddybrown
.
.
Posts: 1728
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:06 am
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#7056

Post by paddybrown » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:21 pm

Well, waddya know, the Pit's still here, and still girnin' about PZ and his shit. It's... I'll say good to be back. I'll have to catch up with the undead thread.

Britain's favourite cartoon character Jacob Rees Mogg has inspired a few memes after being caught reclining in the House of Commons:

https://www.newstatesman.com/sites/defa ... 8a412e49a5

Using all the skills I gained doing Pit Shoops, I've had a go at one myself:

http://paddybrown.co.uk/wordpress/wp-co ... 24x494.jpg

Of course, I have an ulterior motive. I've published my Ulster Cycle comics in two collected graphic novel volumes:

http://paddybrown.co.uk/wordpress/wp-co ... -books.jpg

Being an appallingly cynical shill, I implore you to visit my website and spend money on them.

Za-zen
.
.
Posts: 2623
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:39 am
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#7057

Post by Za-zen » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:05 pm

Just watched a documentary on python, and it reminded me of the only thing this board could ever agree on.


Service Dog
.
.
Posts: 4549
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:52 pm
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#7058

Post by Service Dog » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:51 pm

Helllooo & welcome home, prodigal thems.

Different fashion week client today. The show is tomorrow. Today was load-in. Of lighting equipment, hair & make-up stations. The venue is the NY Times building. Which has all the blandly pompous boomer self-congratulation you'd expect. The walls are festooned with photos like these...
https://i.imgur.com/DpYToiE.jpg?1

Chris Rock, Robert Redford, Jon Stewart, Laverne Cox.

Also Questlove, Sting, Patrick Stewart & Ian McKellen, Helen Mirren, Meryl Streep & two black ladies I don't recognize.

No token Stone Cold Steve Austin or Marilyn Manson or Johnny Ramone or Patrice O'Neal or Roseanne.

MarcusAu
.
.
Posts: 7076
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:49 am
Location: Llareggub
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#7059

Post by MarcusAu » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:36 pm

Patrice O'Neal is not making many appearances these days.

MarcusAu
.
.
Posts: 7076
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:49 am
Location: Llareggub
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#7060

Post by MarcusAu » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:45 pm

paddybrown wrote:

Of course, I have an ulterior motive. I've published my Ulster Cycle comics in two collected graphic novel volumes:


Being an appallingly cynical shill, I implore you to visit my website and spend money on them.
Paddy Brown's website wrote:
Ness is a prequel, starring Cú Chulainn’s grandmother in her youth. When her father, the king of Ulster, is powerless to stop a murderous outlaw, she turns outlaw herself to hunt him dow.
But first she had to take stock.

Also comments are closed - there are some around these parts that take a dim view of such practices.

Service Dog
.
.
Posts: 4549
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:52 pm
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#7061

Post by Service Dog » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:46 pm

Johnny Ramone, also, yeah.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit
Posts: 10620
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Punggye-ri
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#7062

Post by Lsuoma » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:35 pm

Did you know long an owl's legs are?

https://i.redd.it/bty2619ib0h31.jpg

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit
Posts: 10620
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Punggye-ri
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#7063

Post by Lsuoma » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:44 pm

Draft dodging appears to be a family trait:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... yal-decree

paddybrown
.
.
Posts: 1728
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:06 am
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#7064

Post by paddybrown » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:36 pm

MarcusAu wrote:
Paddy Brown's website wrote:
Ness is a prequel, starring Cú Chulainn’s grandmother in her youth. When her father, the king of Ulster, is powerless to stop a murderous outlaw, she turns outlaw herself to hunt him dow.
But first she had to take stock.

Also comments are closed - there are some around these parts that take a dim view of such practices.
I see you spotted my deliberate mistakes. Well done.

Ahem.

It's been a while since I updated my website, and I forgot you have to enable comments on all pages individually. Blog posts have comments open by default, but not pages. Strange software.

Anyway, thanks for spotting my goofs. Fixed now.

paddybrown
.
.
Posts: 1728
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:06 am
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#7065

Post by paddybrown » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:40 pm

My brother made an amusing discovery for those of us with an infantile sense of humour. The Labour MP for Broxtowe in from 1929 to 1953 in Nottinghamshire was called Seymour Cocks.

https://collectionimages.npg.org.uk/std ... -Cocks.jpg

John D
.
.
Posts: 4570
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:23 am
Location: Detroit, MI. USA
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#7066

Post by John D » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:37 am

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
John D wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:12 am
We are going to see a marriage councilor next Saturday. We will see how it goes.
John, are you prepared to have your wife 5150'd? Cuz if she mentions suicide in front of the counselor (an MFT?), as a Mandated Reporter they're obliged to commit her. Based on your recent description of how the situation has deteriorated, that may be the best outcome at this point. She's become inured to your entreaties, so outside professional intervention might be what it takes.

If possible, prior to the couple's session, you might want to talk just yourself with the counselor about your wife's suicidal ideation. In any case, make it the immediate & primary focus of the session, expressing it as your deep concern for her safety -- essentially ambushing your wife, sorry, don't tell her in advance you wish to focus on that. (NB: remember to address everything you say to your wife while looking at her -- even when it's for the benefit of the counselor.)

Long-term, it sounds like anti-depressants might be of great value for your wife. But as Screwtape, Lsuoma and others have mentioned, SSRIs can initially increase the likelihood of a suicide attempt. So, it might be better were she under professional supervision.

Sorry, man, this sucks beyond belief. But all your efforts so far have not panned out, so another course of action is probably required.
Yeah.... I really think the problems "we" have are mostly my wife's problems. Haha. I am not prefect... for sure... but I give every day a good try. Maybe the therapist will get my wife off her ass and get her moving again. I would not mind at all if my wife spent a few days in the psych hospital... hell... both my children did.

MarcusAu
.
.
Posts: 7076
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:49 am
Location: Llareggub
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#7067

Post by MarcusAu » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:14 am

A friend of my mum's used to do that once a year.

But that may have been so she could send out Xmas cards for free.

MarcusAu
.
.
Posts: 7076
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:49 am
Location: Llareggub
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#7068

Post by MarcusAu » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:17 am

Lsuoma wrote: Did you know long an owl's legs are?

https://i.redd.it/bty2619ib0h31.jpg
After Disney sued Marvel comics in the 70s (or was it the 80s?) Howard the Duck had to start wearing pants.

I beginning to think they might have had a point.

MarcusAu
.
.
Posts: 7076
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:49 am
Location: Llareggub
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#7069

Post by MarcusAu » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:22 am

Hmm, I'm considering Slow Chocolate Autopsy.

Has anyone else had any experience with it?

Mookie
.
.
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:45 pm
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#7070

Post by Mookie » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:52 am

Myers is gloating over the problems caused by the Epstein connection at the MIT Media Lab, which he projects onto all of MIT. Anyone who knows what a loser Myers is knows that the Epstein thread is just a vehicle for his real agenda: to belittle any individual or institution with a reputation for success and competence, in order to, by comparison, to elevate his own void-of-any-accomplishment career. It doesn't work.

If only Joi Ito was a white man, Myers could have added a healthy mix of intersectional pandering into his gloating.

free thoughtpolice
.
.
Posts: 10322
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:27 pm
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#7071

Post by free thoughtpolice » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:17 am

screwtape wrote:
Power going on and off here as Dorian wanders slowly above us. Still have a cell connection even though supper is going to be cooked on a rocket stove.
Why are you in Alabama? :rimshot:

Matt Cavanaugh
.
.
Posts: 12384
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:38 pm
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#7072

Post by Matt Cavanaugh » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:01 am

Service Dog wrote: No token Stone Cold Steve Austin or Marilyn Manson or Johnny Ramone or Patrice O'Neal or Roseanne.
Drew Brees? Thought not.

Matt Cavanaugh
.
.
Posts: 12384
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:38 pm
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#7073

Post by Matt Cavanaugh » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:05 am

Mookie wrote: Myers is gloating over the problems caused by the Epstein connection at the MIT Media Lab, which he projects onto all of MIT. Anyone who knows what a loser Myers is knows that the Epstein thread is just a vehicle for his real agenda: to belittle any individual or institution with a reputation for success and competence, in order to, by comparison, to elevate his own void-of-any-accomplishment career. It doesn't work.

If only Joi Ito was a white man, Myers could have added a healthy mix of intersectional pandering into his gloating.
That, and he hates Evo Psych for obliterating his tabula rasa, 'plasticity black box' junk science theory of human behavior.

screwtape
.
.
Posts: 2329
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:15 am
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#7074

Post by screwtape » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:58 am

paddybrown wrote: My brother made an amusing discovery for those of us with an infantile sense of humour. The Labour MP for Broxtowe in from 1929 to 1953 in Nottinghamshire was called Seymour Cocks.

https://collectionimages.npg.org.uk/std ... -Cocks.jpg
A descendant of the famous Roman politician, Biggus Dickus, no doubt.

screwtape
.
.
Posts: 2329
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:15 am
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#7075

Post by screwtape » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:00 pm

free thoughtpolice wrote: screwtape wrote:
Power going on and off here as Dorian wanders slowly above us. Still have a cell connection even though supper is going to be cooked on a rocket stove.
Why are you in Alabama? :rimshot:
That is a remarkably good point, for which I cannot dream up any adequate answer. I just knew I wasn't in Kansas anymore.

jugheadnaut
.
.
Posts: 1296
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 9:09 pm
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#7076

Post by jugheadnaut » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:04 pm

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote: Whatever climate change activists claim has absolutely nothing to do with the science...
I certainly agree with this. But the problem is, to a reasonable degree of approximation, the percentage of people whose primary source of climate change information is scientific papers is 0. Rather, almost everyone gets the majority of their information from the major media unskeptically signal boosting press releases from climate change activist organizations,whose claims are falsely presented as science-based. So that's what organizations opposing them have to focus their fire on. Personally, from reading and watching quite a bit of their stuff, I think the likes of Cato, Heritage, and Heartland do a reasonably good job of differentiating when they're debunking an activist claim from when they're critiquing the conclusion of a published scientific paper. I certainly won't vouch for every headline they publish or everyone they invite to speak at their events, but on the whole I think they do fine. My preference would be they always soberly stick to science-based defenses of their position, but they have an understandable desire to be effective as well as accurate, and sometimes that means not playing entirely by Marquis De Queensbury rules.
ThreeFlangedJavis wrote: The science is what matters and that is what the think tanks climate change activists are attacking undermining by employing conspiracy theories, conflation of green activism with science, appeals to libertarianism international socialism, personal attacks on [dissenting] scientists and attacks on the entire field of climatology economics itself. Anyone who attacks exploits research papers by cherry picking subsets of it and neglecting to mention the main body of it, thereby utterly distorting it, is not engaged in any kind of objective activity.
FTFY. I want to be clear I'm not intending to engage in what-aboutism, but trying to point out what I think is a double-standard. Why is distorting science and other tactics by climate change activists (which you readily agree is occurring) immune from excoriation?

jugheadnaut
.
.
Posts: 1296
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 9:09 pm
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#7077

Post by jugheadnaut » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:30 pm

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: ESPN's Body Issue is out.

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/ ... body-issue#!

A few of the women are quite nice. The men are sure to please if that's your bag of tea.
Needs Russian female tennis players.

Keating
.
.
Posts: 1928
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:18 pm
Location: South of anteater guy
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#7078

Post by Keating » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:36 pm

jugheadnaut wrote: ]Rather, almost everyone gets the majority of their information from the major media unskeptically signal boosting press releases from climate change activist organizations,whose claims are falsely presented as science-based.
Eh, this is true, but I think the media manipulations. The Amazon rainforest fires are a recent example. As far as I've been able to piece together, while the fires are slightly worse this year than in previous years, this seems to have been a deliberate ploy by Macron to harm Brazil as strategy for the trade negotiations currently going on between the EU and South America. Overall, however, deforestation in the Amazon is down from the past and has even recently flipped to slight reforestation.

It's also noticeable that there's a large Malthusian element to the climate change argument, but when mass shooters say that this is a major part of their manifestos, that gets papered over and ignored and you'll be arrested or shut down if you try to read it for your self.

ThreeFlangedJavis
.
.
Posts: 1337
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:13 am
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#7079

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:37 pm

jugheadnaut wrote: Rather, almost everyone gets the majority of their information from the major media unskeptically signal boosting press releases from climate change activist organizations,whose claims are falsely presented as science-based. So that's what organizations opposing them have to focus their fire on. Personally, from reading and watching quite a bit of their stuff, I think the likes of Cato, Heritage, and Heartland do a reasonably good job of differentiating when they're debunking an activist claim from when they're critiquing the conclusion of a published scientific paper.
Couldn't disagree more. Their critiques, or the critiques of their sponsored experts, of science-based papers frequently involve allegations of data tampering, dishonesty, conspiracy and "follow the money" arguments. Not to mention outright misrepresentations of what the papers say.



jugheadnaut wrote: The science is what matters and that is what the think tanks climate change activists are attacking undermining by employing conspiracy theories, conflation of green activism with science, appeals to libertarianism international socialism, personal attacks on [dissenting] scientists and attacks on the entire field of climatology economics itself. Anyone who attacks exploits research papers by cherry picking subsets of it and neglecting to mention the main body of it, thereby utterly distorting it, is not engaged in any kind of objective activity.
Why did you bother to do that? That was part of my point. It comes down to the science, and the body of science is at odds with what the "skeptics" claim. The exaggerators are a problem and should be criticised. That can be done by contrasting their statements with what the science says. However, "skeptics are not generally doing that, they are trying to cast doubt on the science BAMN.

Suet Cardigan
.
.
Posts: 1300
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:26 am
Location: England, a bastion of barbarism and cluelessness
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#7080

Post by Suet Cardigan » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:08 am

Clarence wrote: Want to know what our Best Girl Laurie Penny is up to?

https://www.wired.com/story/videogames- ... fragility/

A piece of her word-vomit: "The family’s wishes have been ignored; the backlash against Quinn and others has been relentless. According to the logic of an army of concern-trolls, Quinn has blood on their hands. They should have taken Holowka’s fragility into account before “ruining his life.” They are worse than a murderer. Quinn deleted their Twitter account after a barrage of harassment and threats, many of them from people who consider Quinn’s chief crime “inciting harassment.”

The scale of hypocrisy here is so staggering it's almost impressive. People, often young women, who dare to speak up can expect to face public harassment and private retribution. Young women can expect to be punished for the crimes men commit against them—but if they dare to speak up, they are the ones who are “ruining lives.”

The response to the death of Alec Holowka throws this double standard into razor-sharp relief. The harassment of Quinn and others has nothing to do with concern for Holowka and his family and everything to do with making examples of women and queer people who dare to speak out. The message is clear: Men’s mental health matters more than women’s. Men’s suffering and self-loathing is treated as a public concern, because men are permitted to be real people whose inner lives and dreams matter. Who cares, then, how many women they destroy along the way?"

She's just as disgusting as ever. Given all the leftwing 'woke' publications that are going broke these days, however, I wonder just how big a platform "Wired" is anymore.
Yes, Laurie, men's mental health is treated as being more important than women's:

Post Reply