You is all a bunch of poofs!

Old subthreads
ConcentratedH2O, OM

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: One argument I've seen against the Wuhan CV being a bio-weapon goes: Wuhan is too contagious, whereas an ideal bio-weapon is highly virulent but not overly contagious. That dismissal fails on two counts.

First, everyone dabbles in bio-weapons, yet as far as anyone can tell, no one has yet developed an ideal one. Experimentation still continues, however, with failed versions kept in storage.

Second, it rests on the assumption that a bio-weapon would be released during peacetime, with the global economy, air travel, etc., still in full operation. If a war broke out, however, all that would come to grinding halt. Releasing a bio-weapon on your enemies' civilian populations would wreak havoc there but with few vectors to trace back home.

And be damn sure the PRC would do that.
Occam's razor. It's just a natural consequence of eating any-fucking-thing they can get their hands on in China.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Zero hedge is a rather dodgy source and just because the "lefty MSM" doesn't believe them doesn't mean they are reliable. Some fact checks run on past articles:
A factual search reveals a terrible track record with IFCN fact checkers. Below is just a small sample of the numerous failed fact checks by Zero Hedge.

Says China “stole Coronavirus from Canada and weaponized it into a Bioweapon.” – False
Is a Craigslist ad proof that counterprotesters at a white nationalist rally were “paid to make chaos”? – False
It’s now against the law in California to shower and do laundry on the same day. – Mostly False
A “newly uncovered” photograph reveals Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez was crying over an empty parking lot, not detained migrant children, at a protest in Texas. – False
“The Ukrainian government just indicted the Burisma gas company & named Hunter Biden for accepting millions of dollars from a slush fund.” – False
While this hardly disproves that the Chinese didn't manufacture the virus, these conspiracy theories are a dime a dozen when it comes to a novel disease, such as the CIA manufacturing HIV to kill Africans and gays.
As has been already pointed out, China is a giant disease manufacturing factory without even trying. So far it appears that the new coronavirus is less deadly than SARS although it looks to spread more rapidly. One would think that if this were a bioweapon it would be deadlier than it is.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote: ... wholesale penetration of Western computer networks and theft of advanced tech like 5G...
It's a truism, but peoples of The East have great techincal minds with limited capacity for creativity, so they have to steal all our innovations instead of coming up with stuff themselves.

free thoughtpolice

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote: Occam's razor. It's just a natural consequence of eating any-fucking-thing they can get their hands on in China.
Instances exist of epidemics in China arising both from lab leaks and from their foul, open air markets and diet. So both are plausible explanations here.

Occam’s looks for the simplest answer that covers all the data. And while you all know I deride the pedantic, mathematical application of Bayes, it does sagely demand we reassess our prior assumptions based on new data. The revelation that the Wuhan bio-lab specialized in Coronavirii certainly qualifies.

Coincidences do occur all the time. But one should rely on them as an explanation as a last resort. Therefore, I’m now inclined toward a hazmat breach.

free thoughtpolice wrote: Zero hedge is a rather dodgy source and just because the "lefty MSM" doesn't believe them doesn't mean they are reliable.

While this hardly disproves that the Chinese didn't manufacture the virus, these conspiracy theories are a dime a dozen when it comes to a novel disease, such as the CIA manufacturing HIV to kill Africans and gays.
Again, a genetic fallacy. Just because conspiracy theorists jumped to a conclusion with insufficient evidence, does not mean we must stubbornly refuse to entertain certain scenarios when presented with more abundant data.
So far it appears that the new coronavirus is less deadly than SARS although it looks to spread more rapidly. One would think that if this were a bioweapon it would be deadlier than it is.
See my comment above on bioweaponry. FTR, I'd lean toward an accidental leak from a legitimate science project over that of a bio-weapon, except for the HIV inserts allegedly detected by the Indian researchers. I reserve further judgement until their finding is confirmed or refuted.

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

Have to wonder if Maher is showing signs of premature senility. Just 2 weeks ago he was saying that the U.S. was on a path to civil war if Trump supporters weren't engaged respectfully by the left, and now he's basically calling for the civil war. But consistency has never been his thing. This is the same guy who presents himself as a champion of reason and science while being anti-vax and a naturopath crank who thinks disease would basically be eliminated if people ate naturally and stopped taking pharmaceuticals.

free thoughtpolice

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Instances exist of epidemics in China arising both from lab leaks and from their foul, open air markets and diet.
Is there solid evidence that a leak from a Chinese lab that caused an epidemic? I have never heard it if true.

I tend to be highly skeptical of claims, especially extraordinary claims from sources that have a history of spreading bullshit. It doesn't mean they are always wrong or even that when they are wrong there isn't a kernel of truth mixed in with the disinformation. Maybe Lokey is a disgruntled ex-employee, but his statement about zerohedge rings true given their history of publishing bullshit:
The 29 April 2017 unmasking article by Bloomberg, quoted former website staffer Colin Lokey as saying: "I can't be a 24-hour cheerleader for Hezbollah, Moscow, Tehran, Beijing, and Trump anymore. It's wrong. Period. I know it gets you views now, but it will kill your brand over the long run. This isn't a revolution. It's a joke."[9] Lokey told Bloomberg that he was pressured to frame issues in a way he felt was "disingenuous," summarizing its political stances as "Russia=good. Obama=idiot. Bashar al-Assad=benevolent leader. John Kerry=dunce. Vladimir Putin=greatest leader in the history of statecraft."
It's possible that there is some possible connection between Chinese researchers but I personally wouldn't give it much credence without input from more reliable sources.

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

jugheadnaut wrote:

Have to wonder if Maher is showing signs of premature senility. Just 2 weeks ago he was saying that the U.S. was on a path to civil war if Trump supporters weren't engaged respectfully by the left, and now he's basically calling for the civil war. But consistency has never been his thing. This is the same guy who presents himself as a champion of reason and science while being anti-vax and a naturopath crank who thinks disease would basically be eliminated if people ate naturally and stopped taking pharmaceuticals.
Or maybe he's just using the old political comedians dodge that it's just a joke, the validity of the content should not be taken seriously, and all that matters is whether it's funny. I'm happy never taking Maher seriously.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Occam’s looks for the simplest answer that covers all the data. And while you all know I deride the pedantic, mathematical application of Bayes, it does sagely demand we reassess our prior assumptions based on new data. The revelation that the Wuhan bio-lab specialized in Coronavirii certainly qualifies.
I haven't heard anything about there being a corona virus lab in Wuhan. However, let's say there was one. That could still be sliced by Occam's blade, as the city is a monster (11M people). It wouldn't surprise me if every city of that size in the developed world has a little lab somewhere in one of its universities which - if its funding sources were scrutinized sufficiently by a journalist on the hunt for a story - could be described as specializing in studying corona viruses.
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: FTR, I'd lean toward an accidental leak from a legitimate science project over that of a bio-weapon, except for the HIV inserts allegedly detected by the Indian researchers. I reserve further judgement until their finding is confirmed or refuted.
I'm gonna need a citation on this one. Nothing (well...) against Indian scientists, but I'd like to see this information being supported by a decent Western org.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

***I guess I don't really mean "funding sources" above, "publication record" perhaps?

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

screwtape wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:27 am
Pitchguest wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote: Some people are a little bit too sensitive:
https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/n-s-court-s ... -1.4792055
Judge Jamieson says it isn't about the surname being offensive, but the complaint was about the name, Grabher, and how that was offensive. Directly contradicts her statement. She also says it isn't meant to "diminish the importance ... (and pride)" of his surname, but rules against his surname being used on personalised plates because it could be interpreted as "socially unacceptable." Seems legit. :think:
If the complainant says he can't have a license plate with his name on it, how long before she complains that his name is offensive by merely existing? It would be a standard legal extension - a principal, once established, can be extended until the point just after that where everyone says "that's ridiculous."
At least his surname isn't Raper.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

franc wrote: I don't care if you creeps want to help me out or not.

The Chrys Stevenson case and efforts to dox me.

Just touched base with another aspie who got treated like shit. Her story to him and me are unrelated. She is a fantasist that makes shit up as she goes along. She's befouled both me and him. With wildly contradictory stories. If you have any info on this cunt please help. I am almost functional, he is not. This is not a fucking game or a message board "fuck you" scenario. There are probably others damaged, so can your sarcasm.
I don't travel those byways, so am no use to you.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Lauren Southern’s wedding and new baby pics.

So Blonde in the Belly, Southern, Pettibone and Faith Goldy have all married in the past year and two have had children.

#walkingthetalk

free thoughtpolice

Brive1987 wrote: Lauren Southern’s wedding and new baby pics.

So Blonde in the Belly, Southern, Pettibone and Faith Goldy have all married in the past year and two have had children.

#walkingthetalk

#walkingthetalk
[/quote]
Jenny McDermott and Bewildered Ape also have spawned. Yahoo! They are some white SJW bots to continue the fight on the fringe of both sides to inherit Mother Earth.
God must hate Pettibone and Goldy by denying them children. I don't blame Him, they are obnoxious.
The Chinese and other brown people will inherit the earth and you racist whiteys can't produce enough offspring to turn back the tide!

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Bhurzum wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:
Bhurzum wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote: Some people are a little bit too sensitive:
https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/n-s-court-s ... -1.4792055
Judge Jamieson says it isn't about the surname being offensive, but the complaint was about the name, Grabher, and how that was offensive. Directly contradicts her statement. She also says it isn't meant to "diminish the importance ... (and pride)" of his surname, but rules against his surname being used on personalised plates because it could be interpreted as "socially unacceptable." Seems legit. :think:
It could be worse. Much, much worse...

http://slymepit.com/phpbb/download/file.php?id=1384

If feminists go off this much on names now, imagine the fit they'll have if they watch old James Bond films. Plenty O'Toole? :cdc:

(Last one, I promise!)
Shades of Biggus Dickus there, I think...

free thoughtpolice

Newfoundland has place names that shouldn't be on a licence plate. You be the judge:
https://www.familyfuncanada.com/newfoun ... ake-blush/
[quoteTickle Cove
Tickle Harbour
Blow Me Down
Come by Chance
Comfort Cove][/quote]
Dildo
Exploits
Happy Adventure
Happy Valley
Heart’s Content
Heart’s Delight
Heart’s Desire
Little Heart’s Ease
Little Paradise
Man Point
Muddy Hole
Placentia
Tilting
Virgin Cove

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Inconentia Buttox.

Pseudomonas

Post by Pseudomonas »

I am not a virologist.

That said, there might be some rationale behind this: one of the targets of some anti-HIV drugs is a protease used to chop up one of the transcripts of the viral genome. As far as I can tell, the hope is that a similar protease in the coronavirus is susceptible to this activity.

See here. Abby would be the best person to explain/expand on/debunk this.

No opinion on the likelyhood or otherwise of it being an escaped biowarfare agent...

Pseudomonas

Driftless

Post by Driftless »

free thoughtpolice wrote: Newfoundland has place names that shouldn't be on a licence plate. You be the judge:
https://www.familyfuncanada.com/newfoun ... ake-blush/
[quoteTickle Cove
Tickle Harbour
Blow Me Down
Come by Chance
Comfort Cove]
Dildo
Exploits
Happy Adventure
Happy Valley
Heart’s Content
Heart’s Delight
Heart’s Desire
Little Heart’s Ease
Little Paradise
Man Point
Muddy Hole
Placentia
Tilting
Virgin Cove
[/quote]

If you get to Beaver, Washington and keep driving you'll end up in Sappho. :rimshot:

Driftless

Post by Driftless »

Don't worry Australia, we are there for you:
Australia turns to American for sperm donors after massive shortage of Aussie blokes
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... lokes.html

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxE7ToBoaQU

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Help me out here. I was watching the movie Overlord (don't bother, it sucks). It's about Nazi scientists creating zombies in occupied France. Sounds cool, I know. It starts with an Allied plane full of racially diverse paratroopers. There's no back story or explanation behind this integrated unit, it's just treated as normal. This kind of takes me out of the movie. When I bring this up in other venues I'm invariably met with something like, "You're questioning the authenticity of a zombie movie?" In other words; why can I suspend my disbelief for zombies, but not an integrated US army unit in 1944? With fantasy being such a popular genre, I've been noticing this quite a bit lately; usually from SJW'S. "There's already magic and dragons in this medieval fantasy world, then why can't there be steam punk time travelling suffragettes?" OR, more typically, "You've already have magic, and dragons, so why can't a 45kg girl without any specially abilities, kick the asses of 3, 100kg men? If you have 1 or 2 fantastical elements you should be able to have dozens without breaking suspension of disbelief. If you've seen new Stars Wars, Star Trek, The Witcher, then you've seen this to some degree. Jordan Peele's woke Twilight Zone does this, and it completely undermines the original concept of the show, which was "what if a normal person(or people) experienced something inexplicably weird?" The Woke Zone just seems to throw weird, random shit at its protagonists. So my question is do you think this is an SJW thing? A millennial thing? Or just some awful trend Hollywood has been following the past few years?

katamari Damassi

Help me out here. I was watching the movie Overlord (don't bother, it sucks). It's about Nazi scientists creating zombies in occupied France. Sounds cool, I know. It starts with an Allied plane full of racially diverse paratroopers. There's no back story or explanation behind this integrated unit, it's just treated as normal. This kind of takes me out of the movie. When I bring this up in other venues I'm invariably met with something like, "You're questioning the authenticity of a zombie movie?" In other words; why can I suspend my disbelief for zombies, but not an integrated US army unit in 1944? With fantasy being such a popular genre, I've been noticing this quite a bit lately; usually from SJW'S. "There's already magic and dragons in this medieval fantasy world, then why can't there be steam punk time travelling suffragettes?" OR, more typically, "You've already have magic, and dragons, so why can't a 45kg girl without any specially abilities, kick the asses of 3, 100kg men? If you have 1 or 2 fantastical elements you should be able to have dozens without breaking suspension of disbelief. If you've seen new Stars Wars, Star Trek, The Witcher, then you've seen this to some degree. Jordan Peele's woke Twilight Zone does this, and it completely undermines the original concept of the show, which was "what if a normal person(or people) experienced something inexplicably weird?" The Woke Zone just seems to throw weird, random shit at its protagonists. So my question is do you think this is an SJW thing? A millennial thing? Or just some awful trend Hollywood has been following the past few years?

katamari Damassi

Apologies for the double posts.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

katamari Damassi wrote: Help me out here. I was watching the movie Overlord (don't bother, it sucks). It's about Nazi scientists creating zombies in occupied France. Sounds cool, I know. It starts with an Allied plane full of racially diverse paratroopers. There's no back story or explanation behind this integrated unit, it's just treated as normal. This kind of takes me out of the movie. When I bring this up in other venues I'm invariably met with something like, "You're questioning the authenticity of a zombie movie?" In other words; why can I suspend my disbelief for zombies, but not an integrated US army unit in 1944? With fantasy being such a popular genre, I've been noticing this quite a bit lately; usually from SJW'S. "There's already magic and dragons in this medieval fantasy world, then why can't there be steam punk time travelling suffragettes?" OR, more typically, "You've already have magic, and dragons, so why can't a 45kg girl without any specially abilities, kick the asses of 3, 100kg men? If you have 1 or 2 fantastical elements you should be able to have dozens without breaking suspension of disbelief. If you've seen new Stars Wars, Star Trek, The Witcher, then you've seen this to some degree. Jordan Peele's woke Twilight Zone does this, and it completely undermines the original concept of the show, which was "what if a normal person(or people) experienced something inexplicably weird?" The Woke Zone just seems to throw weird, random shit at its protagonists. So my question is do you think this is an SJW thing? A millennial thing? Or just some awful trend Hollywood has been following the past few years?
Seems to me that Overlord (which I did watch while suspending all historical judgement) was simply ahead of 1917. Tens of thousands of Commonwealth troops fought on the Western Front. But none of them wore turbans in British regiments; they wore them proudly in Sikh regiments.

To present WW1 British regiments as containing the present day diversity of British society is a perversion of truth, a sop to the feelings of the diversity-prone. History only works as a corrective if presented as accurately as possible. Once you warp it to suit the preferences of one particular group it isn't history anymore, it is fiction. This should not need saying out loud. It ought to be obvious. That's my beef out of the way, so now to your point....

Most of us, I assume, are happy to suspend disbelief so as to allow us to enjoy a book or movie about zombies, vampires, werewolves, space aliens, or even such unlikely creatures as James Bond, Shaft and Sherlock Holmes. And yet there is a line we will not cross. Perhaps it is that known history is inviolate, but we can accept unknown individuals (even the undead) within it. But ask me to do counterfactual history (a guilty pleasure of mine) at the same time as Nazi zombies led by Batman fight Tarzan's lost tribes of Atlantis in order to prevent Brexit and save the Queen from her abductors during the sun turning supernova while a category 6 hurricane is arguing with the Yellowstone supervolcano and we are all saved by megalodon mating with Godzilla? I get a bit overwhelmed. We all have our limits.

free thoughtpolice

Police shoot a dead man after a terror related incident:
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/02/ ... 10241.html

John D

Post by John D »

katamari Damassi wrote: Help me out here. I was watching the movie Overlord (don't bother, it sucks). It's about Nazi scientists creating zombies in occupied France. Sounds cool, I know. It starts with an Allied plane full of racially diverse paratroopers. There's no back story or explanation behind this integrated unit, it's just treated as normal. This kind of takes me out of the movie. When I bring this up in other venues I'm invariably met with something like, "You're questioning the authenticity of a zombie movie?" In other words; why can I suspend my disbelief for zombies, but not an integrated US army unit in 1944? With fantasy being such a popular genre, I've been noticing this quite a bit lately; usually from SJW'S. "There's already magic and dragons in this medieval fantasy world, then why can't there be steam punk time travelling suffragettes?" OR, more typically, "You've already have magic, and dragons, so why can't a 45kg girl without any specially abilities, kick the asses of 3, 100kg men? If you have 1 or 2 fantastical elements you should be able to have dozens without breaking suspension of disbelief. If you've seen new Stars Wars, Star Trek, The Witcher, then you've seen this to some degree. Jordan Peele's woke Twilight Zone does this, and it completely undermines the original concept of the show, which was "what if a normal person(or people) experienced something inexplicably weird?" The Woke Zone just seems to throw weird, random shit at its protagonists. So my question is do you think this is an SJW thing? A millennial thing? Or just some awful trend Hollywood has been following the past few years?
To me, good fiction must be set in a cohesive and understandable reality... a fictional reality, but still a reality that is believable. This is critical for me since I am an engineer and a bit of a history buff. There is so much bad screen writing... it is staggering to me. But... partly... this is just me.

I have previously complained about the shows that my wife chooses. They are full of impossible situations and strange behaviors from the characters. I think I am naturally skeptical and I know too much. This is just my nature. I can't even watch any of the police and legal procedural shows because they have fundamental errors. Cops will NEVER surrender their weapon..... they will almost always shoot for center mass with multiple shots... but this is the tip of the iceberg. Almost every show is fundamentally unbelievable.

So... what is going on? My wife explained it to me. All she cares about is identifying with the characters. If the characters can act and perform with a certain authenticity then my wife will buy into the fiction. The historical, procedural, and scientific errors in the story have no value to her one way or another. It is simply about how the characters deal with their emotional journey.

So.... we are just different people.... and I find I am fairly different than many of my fellow citizens. Stranger in a strange land.

The wokeness of Hollywood is clear. They already create content that is completely disconnected from history and science. It is very simple for them to create a woke past... and present. Oh my god... I laughed and laughed at the last "911-Lone Star" episode where the Muslim woman on the fire crew had her head scarf knocked off during a rescue...and someone took her picture. The picture, for some unknown reason, went viral... and her Mosque decided to kick her out because if it. So... yeah... someone somewhere thinks this is a reasonable storyline. Haha.

free thoughtpolice

screwtape wrote:
But ask me to do counterfactual history (a guilty pleasure of mine) at the same time as Nazi zombies led by Batman fight Tarzan's lost tribes of Atlantis in order to prevent Brexit and save the Queen from her abductors during the sun turning supernova while a category 6 hurricane is arguing with the Yellowstone supervolcano and we are all saved by megalodon mating with Godzilla? I get a bit overwhelmed. We all have our limits.
Throw in some explosions and boobs and I'd watch it.
This one on the other hand...

John D

Post by John D »

Just an observation. I am watching NPR's American Experience about Willy and his fight for food safety laws. It is full of good detail and I enjoy it. But... I find that most history is told through a very progressive lens. All things that build a bigger government are good and all things that limit passing new laws is bad greedy corporatism. The framing is so screwed.

Further ... I witnessed a recent odd incident while I was visiting the WWI museum in Kansas City. It is a really good museum and I joined a tour where a nice old man pointed out some of the more interesting parts of the collection. When he started to talk about how the war pushed toward women getting the vote he said something like "It's not like the men back then hated women, it was just a tradition that the vote was a vote for the whole family and that men would vote to protect the family.... their wife and their children". Well... haha.... with this statement a woman who was part of the tour went fucking ballistic. She charged forward at the old man presenter and started shouting "how dare you" type shit. The tour group was shocked but decided to simply ignore the outburst. The old man guide tried to further make his point with some courage. Finally, the woman was dragged out of the museum by a man I assume was her husband... haha... poor fucker.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

There is a general rule in Science Fiction (and related genres) where one thing is changed and the differences extrapolated from there.

The other way to do it is to throw everything at the wall and see what sticks - as in Bizzaro Fiction or 'Alice in Wonderland' or 'Hellzapoppin' or the PoMo artifact of your choice.

Things that fall in the middle end up being neither flesh nor foul (nor fish nor bone, though I kept it till it ran alone) - and so subject to something akin to an 'uncanny valley' effect.

At least that's my thoughts...

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote: I haven't heard anything about there being a corona virus lab in Wuhan. However, let's say there was one.
There is.
https://www.nature.com/news/inside-the- ... ns-1.21487

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/25/5/18-0220_article

It wouldn't surprise me if every city of that size in the developed world has a little lab somewhere in one of its universities which ... could be described as specializing in studying corona viruses.
Wuhan was China's first, and so far only, BSL-4 lab. China couldn't properly manage the BSL-3, which led to the SARS outbreak. No reason to think they wouldn't eventually fuck up the much harder BSL-4.

I'm gonna need a citation on this one. Nothing (well...) against Indian scientists, but I'd like to see this information being supported by a decent Western org.
Pitchguest linked to start this discussion. Here it is again:
https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101 ... 1.full.pdf

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

free thoughtpolice wrote: Throw in some explosions and boobs and I'd watch it.
This one on the other hand...
FYI, Taylor Swift's boobs are fake. And I don't mean they don't have hair all over them IRL.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

katamari Damassi wrote: Help me out here....
The venerable maxim holds that good SF asks of the audience one suspension of disbelief, then plays it out straight thereafter. Any story that violates this maxim is schlock.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
Jenny McDermott and Bewildered Ape also have spawned. Yahoo! They are some white SJW bots to continue the fight on the fringe of both sides to inherit Mother Earth.
God must hate Pettibone and Goldy by denying them children. I don't blame Him, they are obnoxious.
The Chinese and other brown people will inherit the earth and you racist whiteys can't produce enough offspring to turn back the tide!
Clumsy as it is, a simple “I was wrong about her being a mud-sharking hypercritical spinster-barren-ethot” would have read better.

#walkingthetalk

free thoughtpolice

Brive1987 wrote:
Clumsy as it is, a simple “I was wrong about her being a mud-sharking hypercritical spinster-barren-ethot” would have read better.

#walkingthetalk
Notice no picture of the baby. Could it be that her new crotch fruit isn't white?

Pseudomonas

Post by Pseudomonas »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote: I haven't heard anything about there being a corona virus lab in Wuhan. However, let's say there was one.
There is.

It wouldn't surprise me if every city of that size in the developed world has a little lab somewhere in one of its universities which ... could be described as specializing in studying corona viruses.
Wuhan was China's first, and so far only, BSL-4 lab. China couldn't properly manage the BSL-3, which led to the SARS outbreak. No reason to think they wouldn't eventually fuck up the much harder BSL-4.
Just after I posted above, one of our Ph.D students (Chinese :shock: ) emailed our lab list with the Biorxiv link with

"Scary finding about 2019 Wuhan Coronavirus

[Biorxiv link]

There is only one PC4 lab in China, and it’s in Wuhan: Wuhan Institute of Virology."

:bjarte:

By the way, the Biorxiv paper has been withdrawn: Link, and see the comments there for why.

Pseudomonas

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
There is.

That Nature News piece comes with this at the top of it:
Editors’ note, January 2020: Many stories have promoted an unverified theory that the Wuhan lab discussed in this article played a role in the coronavirus outbreak that began in December 2019. Nature knows of no evidence that this is true; scientists believe the most likely source of the coronavirus to be an animal market.
So they are quite strongly saying Occam's Razor holds true, and this virus's jump to humans has a natural (that is, not manmade) origin.
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Agreed, but see above: this does not seem to be a fuckup (unless you were to include in the definition of that phrase "being the kind of people who eat bushmeat and don't use refrigeration correctly in the twenty-fucking-first century").

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Not sure of your point here, this is just a link to a non-peer reviewed preprint of the Indians' paper.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Nature went full SJW some time ago, around when they denied binary sex. Nor should they be gratuitously editorializing like that.

I really am astounded at how virulently [pun intended this time] the Lefties are shouting down and ad hominem attacking anyone who voice the entirely plausible hypothesis that it was a lab safety breach just like SARS.

Not sure of your point here, this is just a link to a non-peer reviewed preprint of the Indians' paper.
Do you really think they should wait for the peer-review process to announce this, when a serious epidemic is unfolding? That's not Prison Planet or Coast to Coast, it's for-real virologists at a for-real university. Their claims should be taken seriously and investigated.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:57 pm
Brive1987 wrote:

#walkingthetalk
Notice no picture of the baby. Could it be that her new crotch fruit isn't white?
You missed a photo of the baby(‘s) feet.

Don’t get sloppy now. :naughty:

free thoughtpolice

Brive1987 wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:

#walkingthetalk

I have to confess I missed that, still it was probably a photoshop. Are you sure that was Lauren's baby and not just a prop?

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Nature went full SJW some time ago, around when they denied binary sex. Nor should they be gratuitously editorializing like that.
It's in Nature News, not a paper.

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Do you really think they should wait for the peer-review process to announce this, when a serious epidemic is unfolding? That's not Prison Planet or Coast to Coast, it's for-real virologists at a for-real university. Their claims should be taken seriously and investigated.
Firstly, peer-review doesn't have to take weeks of passive aggressive back and forth between authors and reviewers. Only usually is that the case. The process can of course be completed very quickly when necessary.

Secondly, see Pseudomonas's link: the Indian group have retracted their paper for now, due to other scientists' concerns about their data analyses and interpretations thereof. Their claims were taken seriously and investigated, as you wanted, and something was found wrong it seems. This is what's needed, not wild and incautious speculation by laymen (I'm including both you and me in that term, unless I have misunderstood your credentials).

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Brive1987 wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:

#walkingthetalk

I have to confess I missed that, still it was probably a photoshop. Are you sure that was Lauren's baby and not just a prop?
It’s odds on she administered a glutathione regime. That was SOP in the camps.

Keating

Post by Keating »

I for one welcome Lauren Sourthern's wedding to Dr Murdoch.

Driftless

Post by Driftless »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Nature went full SJW some time ago, around when they denied binary sex. Nor should they be gratuitously editorializing like that.
It's in Nature News, not a paper.

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Firstly, peer-review doesn't have to take weeks of passive aggressive back and forth between authors and reviewers. Only usually is that the case. The process can of course be completed very quickly when necessary.

Secondly, see Pseudomonas's link: the Indian group have retracted their paper for now, due to other scientists' concerns about their data analyses and interpretations thereof. Their claims were taken seriously and investigated, as you wanted, and something was found wrong it seems. This is what's needed, not wild and incautious speculation by laymen (I'm including both you and me in that term, unless I have misunderstood your credentials).
What about the idea that there are particular groups who are more susceptible to infection or who are more likely to die from it? For example I have heard that Han Chinese are a group that is particularly susceptible to this virus and SARS. Apparently the outbreak of SARS in Toronto was in Chinatown. I guess we'll see as he virus makes its way through areas outside of China.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

katamari Damassi wrote: I was watching the movie Overlord (don't bother, it sucks).
You'll be glue-sniffing and bad-mouthing the Queen next... :x

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Lsuoma wrote: Inconentia Buttox.
That scene...that bloody scene. To this day, after countless viewings, still has me in fits of laughter!

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Want to know what fine-tuned "nope" looks like?

Apparently there's a section on how bad/racist Lovecraft was complete with list of BAME authors.

There's a section on how to RP insanity in a respectful manner.

I could go on but it's already giving my arse a headache... :(

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote: It's in Nature News, not a paper.
I don't know how that refutes my assertion that Nature has become a tendentious, SJW rag that feels the need to inject hectoring, woke editorial in ostensible news pieces.

We'll see what the critiques were, if and when the paper is republished. See also my original comment on that paper.

This miscasting of my statements is getting tedious. So to summarize and then give it a rest, three possible origins exist: the virus
A. spontaneously jumped from animals to humans;
B. was accidentally released from the Wuhan Institute of Virology's legitimate scientific research;
C. was accidentally released from the PRC's covert bioweapons research under the cover of the Wuhan Institute of Virology.

[I refuse to consider an intentional release.]

Given the circumstances of the situation and the PRC's track record with bio-safety, which I outlined and which I am chary to accept as mere coincidences, I rank the likelihood B, A, then C a much distant third -- unless, and I clearly stated, the HIV insert claim could be confirmed.

For the usual reasons, the Left refuses to contemplate B, considering it somehow racist, "xenophobic", and the exclusive product of a deranged, conspiratorial, wingnut mind. Apparently, my observation of this itself places me in that class.

... and I'm done with this bullshit.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:21 am
I don't know how that refutes my assertion that Nature has become a tendentious, SJW rag that feels the need to inject hectoring, woke editorial in ostensible news pieces.

We'll see what the critiques were, if and when the paper is republished. See also my original comment on that paper.

This miscasting of my statements is getting tedious. So to summarize and then give it a rest, three possible origins exist: the virus
B. was accidentally released from the Wuhan Institute of Virology's legitimate scientific research;
C. was accidentally released from the PRC's covert bioweapons research under the cover of the Wuhan Institute of Virology.

Given the circumstances of the situation and the PRC's track record with bio-safety, which I outlined and which I am chary to accept as mere coincidences, I rank the likelihood B, A, then C a much distant third -- unless, and I clearly stated, the HIV insert claim could be confirmed.

For the usual reasons, the Left refuses to contemplate B, considering it somehow racist, "xenophobic", and the exclusive product of a deranged, conspiratorial, wingnut mind. Apparently, my observation of this itself places me in that class.

... and I'm done with this bullshit.
Seems reasonable though I’m late to the discussion.

The main variable is the relative weight of shitty bio-safety standards and a local lab vs shitty health practices and a local Frankenstein-market.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Dropped in on PZ. Found this. Remembered CFB and quickly closed my tab.

https://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula ... flags.jpeg

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Oh calm down. This was a sober comment on a news article from 3 years ago which has been getting shared recently for obvious reasons. It coudn't be more blandly reassuring.
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: This miscasting of my statements is getting tedious. So to summarize and then give it a rest, three possible origins exist: the virus

For myself, I would rank the the chances of truth as A, B, C. Regarding the HIV sequences within the coronavirus genome: that particular preprint (it was, importantly, not "a paper") now has this banner:
bioRxiv is receiving many new papers on coronavirus 2019-nCoV. A reminder: these are preliminary reports that have not been peer-reviewed. They should not be regarded as conclusive, guide clinical practice/health-related behavior, or be reported in news media as established information.
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: For the usual reasons, the Left refuses to contemplate B, considering it somehow racist, "xenophobic", and the exclusive product of a deranged, conspiratorial, wingnut mind. Apparently, my observation of this itself places me in that class.
Well, it doesn't help your cause when you say:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: China couldn't properly manage the BSL-3, which led to the SARS outbreak
SARS was another animal to human jumper, so far as we know.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Brive1987 wrote: Dropped in on PZ. Found this. Remembered CFB and quickly closed my tab.

[img]https://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula ... lags.jpimg]
I call upon Vacula to denounce this latest act of cuntfoolery from the driver of atheism's clown car.

free thoughtpolice

Conc.H2O wrote:
SARS was another animal to human jumper, so far as we know.
To my knowledge that is the consensus now although there was speculation at one time that SARS was artificially created. There were containment failures for the virus in China, Taiwan, and Singapore (and Australia?) but these were not creations of the labs but were from samples from the likely naturally emergent virus and these accidents didn't cause significant outbreaks.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

KiwiInOz wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:03 pm
A nice article by Bruce Pascoe on his Aboriginality.
Too long navel gazing his concern over relative pigment and not enough time Spent consolidating sources to support his central point.

That ‘Aboriginal’ civilisation could be characterised by “the crops on the Warburton River, the permanent houses, the happiness, the prosperity”.

Based on this article he is right about something. He is a story teller not a historian.

But maybe I’m too harsh and the medium is at fault? Have you read his book?
But it wasn't meant to be a historical piece (and he didn't need to justify his claims beyond the level that he did).

I have read Dark Emu and found it very interesting. His reference to primary sources was useful. I think that he is correct in saying (in the article) that most people's knowledge of what the early explorers and colonists found is based on what other people have told them.

As for Bolt; Australian agriculture is doing it tough because it isn't warm enough.
I kid you not, these landed on my desk today due to a completely distinct dynamic!

https://i.imgur.com/tiyE3Ss.jpg

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Brive1987 wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:03 pm
A nice article by Bruce Pascoe on his Aboriginality.
Too long navel gazing his concern over relative pigment and not enough time Spent consolidating sources to support his central point.

That ‘Aboriginal’ civilisation could be characterised by “the crops on the Warburton River, the permanent houses, the happiness, the prosperity”.

Based on this article he is right about something. He is a story teller not a historian.

But maybe I’m too harsh and the medium is at fault? Have you read his book?
But it wasn't meant to be a historical piece (and he didn't need to justify his claims beyond the level that he did).

I have read Dark Emu and found it very interesting. His reference to primary sources was useful. I think that he is correct in saying (in the article) that most people's knowledge of what the early explorers and colonists found is based on what other people have told them.

As for Bolt; Australian agriculture is doing it tough because it isn't warm enough.
I kid you not, these landed on my desk today due to a completely distinct dynamic!

https://i.imgur.com/tiyE3Ss.jpg
Is your new job Book Review Editor for the Guardian?

Keating

Post by Keating »

Is any one else really disturbed by the way Yanks pronounce "emu"?

Driftless

Post by Driftless »

Keating wrote: Is any one else really disturbed by the way Yanks pronounce "emu"?
Yanks pronounce it /kəˈrektlē/

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Keating wrote: Is any one else really disturbed by the way Yanks pronounce "emu"?
It's enough to make me go nucular.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

KiwiInOz wrote:
It's enough to make me go nucular.
You've got an attitood!

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

2020 US elections off to an auspicious start.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/02/0 ... ion-110600