Service Dog

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

Post by Service Dog »

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

So as a very few of you may remember, I live near an abandoned amusement park. It has recently been acquired by BassPro, and they are spending a bunch of money fixing it up into a fishing retreat. Plowing down a lot of old things that need plowing down, and hopefully preserving a few bits of memorabilia. It really is a beautiful location where a huge cold water spring releases into a place on the way from the Ozark plateau down for the river.

Dogpatch is the home of the cartoon series Li'l Abner, created by an artist named Al Capp, who lost his leg to a trolley car accident when he was 9 years old and as a consequence grew up very cynical, and this comic strip really is a work of genius which I recommend anybody who wants to look into it.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

top of the page nightmare fuel
Attachments
static.politico.jpg
(148.13 KiB) Downloaded 1279 times

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

fuzzy wrote: So as a very few of you may remember, I live near an abandoned amusement park. It has recently been acquired by BassPro, and they are spending a bunch of money fixing it up into a fishing retreat. Plowing down a lot of old things that need plowing down, and hopefully preserving a few bits of memorabilia. It really is a beautiful location where a huge cold water spring releases into a place on the way from the Ozark plateau down for the river.

Dogpatch is the home of the cartoon series Li'l Abner, created by an artist named Al Capp, who lost his leg to a trolley car accident when he was 9 years old and as a consequence grew up very cynical, and this comic strip really is a work of genius which I recommend anybody who wants to look into it.
I've dipped my toe into the sportsfishing industry, working with lodges and doing guiding, making tackle for instance. I loved the work and did OK moneywise. Bass Pro people were around 25+ tears ago checking out the potential of the people I knew.
With any luck, they will create some jobs without fucking up other stuff.

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

free thoughtpolice wrote: without fucking up other stuff.
yes what eventually shut the old place down* was that they needed to set up a sewage plant to handle all the tourist stuff, and there may have been some bacterial leakage decades ago which raised some of bacteria levels downstream.

and as with all things everything is way way better than it was decades ago in the USA because we've been handling this stuff, despite what CNN wants you to read because that's all you ever read you a******

*: along with course many other abuses

free thoughtpolice

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

Driftless wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:11 am
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Chicago BLM: "looting is a form of reparations"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ntown.html
To all of the corporations who are in support of BLM: are you going to open up your buildings so that people can get "reparations"? You have insurance so it is OK.
Funny you should say that. Just saw a video of a truck driver in South Africa standing by the side of the road watching her crashed truck get looted. She was on the phone explaining, perhaps to the boss, that the cops were there but they'd told everyone to keep looting because it'd all have been insured.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

fuzzy wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:24 pm
So as a very few of you may remember, I live near an abandoned amusement park. It has recently been acquired by BassPro, and they are spending a bunch of money fixing it up into a fishing retreat. Plowing down a lot of old things that need plowing down, and hopefully preserving a few bits of memorabilia. It really is a beautiful location where a huge cold water spring releases into a place on the way from the Ozark plateau down for the river.

Much like Li'l Abner himself, I consider Fearless Fosdick to be a role model and my personal hero...
FF.jpeg
(16.47 KiB) Downloaded 1222 times

Beans!

ThreeFlangedJavis

MarcusAu wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:00 pm
Sounds like everyone has decided on who they are going to vote for.
There is only one choice. I don't understand people. There are people who consider themselves rational (and superior to the rest of us) who cannot seem to understand that the Democratic Party have adopted a scorched earth policy and are actively damaging US institutions, perhaps irreparably so if they get elected. Their lust for power and BAMN attitude is evident, if it wasn't three years ago. Trump is not the one wrecking the system. He governs within the constitution, whatever you think of his policy. The left show no reticence in tearing it down if it helps them in their power grab. While not perfect, the framers constructed the constitooshun in such a way that it survives bad presidents, but it probably won't survive the Democratic Party if they carry on the way they are. And to think I celebrated the election of Obama. He accelerated the corruption of the security services, packed the courts with activists, engaged in mass surveillance of opponents, mushroomed the statute books and to top it all off, got raped by Putin when he believed his own bullshit and thought his magnificence would win Putin over if he gave him goodies. Uranium One was part of that process. Putin fucked the US over, their agents even laughing about how easy it was. The Russian collusion bullshit was intended to shift focus onto Trump and distract from who really screwed the Russia pooch.

Talking of complete and utter unawareness, Brian Stelter asks us where the Lefty equivalent of Fox News is. There are apparently no virulently anti-Trump media outlets. Is the man for real?

free thoughtpolice

fuzzy wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote: without fucking up other stuff.
yes what eventually shut the old place down* was that they needed to set up a sewage plant to handle all the tourist stuff, and there may have been some bacterial leakage decades ago which raised some of bacteria levels downstream.

and as with all things everything is way way better than it was decades ago in the USA because we've been handling this stuff, despite what CNN wants you to read because that's all you ever read you a******

Hate to disappoint you, but I've spent years dealing with onerous and impractical regulations to keep my business activities going. It took a lifetime of hard work of work and investment to do it. It is frustrating and a gamble, but I kept at it and it has paid off for me.
The fact that I am a critic of Trump, an incompetent criminal that is doing damage to America and her allies doesn't mean I'm some kind of crazed leftist. I dislike Rachel Maddow as much as Sean Hannity.
So, at least I know where you stand.

\

: along with course many other abuses

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

KiwiInOz wrote:
jugheadnaut wrote:
It's hard for me to conceive of a more stark "this way lies bullshit" warning than the author being "Leadership Chair in Cultures and Ecosystems at Risk at the University of British Columbia". ...
Hmmmm. I seem to recall someone being upset that people could discount an argument from a person because of labels and preconceptions.
I said it was a warning, not an ad hominem dismissal. I did actually read the first couple of paragraphs, and then skimmed another couple of paragraphs farther down and saw it was exactly the tendentious, pseudo-intellectual drivel I was expecting. My thanks to Service Dog for enacting the labor of a fuller demolition, and especially for showing what a lazy parasite this guy is.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote: the Democratic Party have adopted a scorched earth policy and are actively damaging US institutions.... probably won't survive the Democratic Party if they carry on the way they are.
I don't know which lessens the madness-- Trump or Biden winning. More Trump lets the Left continue their daddy-issues tantrum, with no self-reflection. Maybe putting Biden & Kamala-the-magic-negro-vagina-identity-politics-token in power-- changes the dynamic. (Flatten the curve!)

More Trump could = a Dem vs Repub civil war. But maybe a Biden win confines the civil war to within Left & Right of the Dem party.

(I'm halfway thru watching 'The Year Of Living Dangerously', tonite. Brink of civil war in Indonesia, between coldwar US-supported dictator, vs. starving Muslim Commie populist fanatics.)

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Service Dog wrote:
ThreeFlangedJavis wrote: the Democratic Party have adopted a scorched earth policy and are actively damaging US institutions.... probably won't survive the Democratic Party if they carry on the way they are.
I don't know which lessens the madness-- Trump or Biden winning. More Trump lets the Left continue their daddy-issues tantrum, with no self-reflection. Maybe putting Biden & Kamala-the-magic-negro-vagina-identity-politics-token in power-- changes the dynamic. (Flatten the curve!)

More Trump could = a Dem vs Repub civil war. But maybe a Biden win confines the civil war to within Left & Right of the Dem party.

(I'm halfway thru watching 'The Year Of Living Dangerously', tonite. Brink of civil war in Indonesia, between coldwar US-supported dictator, vs. starving Muslim Commie populist fanatics.)
My friend's grandfather was one of the six generals captured and killed by the 30 September Movement militants in 1965.

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

Service Dog wrote: top of the page nightmare fuel
Tulsi Gabbard still provides the gold standard in exorcisms of this particular demon.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

...the rot that has sickened the Democratic Party...

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

jugheadnaut wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:
jugheadnaut wrote:
It's hard for me to conceive of a more stark "this way lies bullshit" warning than the author being "Leadership Chair in Cultures and Ecosystems at Risk at the University of British Columbia". ...
Hmmmm. I seem to recall someone being upset that people could discount an argument from a person because of labels and preconceptions.
I said it was a warning, not an ad hominem dismissal. I did actually read the first couple of paragraphs, and then skimmed another couple of paragraphs farther down and saw it was exactly the tendentious, pseudo-intellectual drivel I was expecting. My thanks to Service Dog for enacting the labor of a fuller demolition, and especially for showing what a lazy parasite this guy is.
Your definition of demolition and my definition are a little bit different. This is how I saw Service Dog's demolition play out.

You might call it tendentious twaddle written by an academic parasite, but that doesn't take anything away from the decline of American (sensu stricto USA) hegemony playing out across the world stage. The Roman Empire lasted from 8 BC - 5 AD and the Brits at least managed from 1600s to 1960ish. How long will the USA be a world power before it has a civil war between the mask wearers and the free breathers and collapses into mehdom?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Comment I posted today on Politiwoke, in response to a TDS sufferer responding to another jaded liberal like me wondering where the 'lesser of two evils' line actually lies:
I wrote:Trump is a narcissist, a bombast, and a boor. He's inept, play-acting at president.

But I closely observed Kamala Harris' ruthless climb up the CA Dem party machine. She is utterly devoid of ethics, lacks a moral compass, has no sense of loyalty and will stab an ally in the back without hesitation. She has no regard for the rule of law, routinely having abused the power of her offices. She is vindictive, often sadistically so. Her only agenda is aquiring personal power. I believe her to be a clinical sociopath.

Harris could well soon be a heartbeat away from the Oval Office. Were she to enter it, she would prove a despot, ruling by fiat, ignoring Congress, flaunting the Constitution, and punishing all who stood in her way. In short, Kamala Harris is a threat to our Republic. This goes far beyond 'lesser of two evils'.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Comment I posted today on Politiwoke, in response to a TDS sufferer responding to another jaded liberal like me wondering where the 'lesser of two evils' line actually lies:
I wrote:Trump is a narcissist, a bombast, and a boor. He's inept, play-acting at president.

But I closely observed Kamala Harris' ruthless climb up the CA Dem party machine. She is utterly devoid of ethics, lacks a moral compass, has no sense of loyalty and will stab an ally in the back without hesitation. She has no regard for the rule of law, routinely having abused the power of her offices. She is vindictive, often sadistically so. Her only agenda is aquiring personal power. I believe her to be a clinical sociopath.

Harris could well soon be a heartbeat away from the Oval Office. Were she to enter it, she would prove a despot, ruling by fiat, ignoring Congress, flaunting the Constitution, and punishing all who stood in her way. In short, Kamala Harris is a threat to our Republic. This goes far beyond 'lesser of two evils'.
Are there any legitimate third party options for you guys to vote for. It does seem that you have the rock and the hard place (or devil and the deep blue sea, for the religious) well covered.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

KiwiInOz wrote: Are there any legitimate third party options for you guys to vote for. It does seem that you have the rock and the hard place (or devil and the deep blue sea, for the religious) well covered.
No.

Kanye doesn't count.

The Libertarian this year is even more whack-o than your usual libertarian: she echoes the 'systemic racism' claims, only her solution is to eliminate the system.

The Greens should all be locked in padded cells. Then shot. Then ground into organic mulch. That last one is a mitzvah.

I expect a center-right populist party will arise sometime next year, with Tucker Carlson instrumental in its formation. I'm center-left, but it'd be better than the authoritarian radical left that the Dem party has become.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Atheists for Trump? David Silverman reacts to Biden naming Harris with ‘Are You Serious?’ face, saying he might VOTE RED - Russia Today

https://www.rt.com/usa/497867-atheist-flips-to-trump/

Silverman's tweet: 31.4k likes :o

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Service Dog wrote: I don't know which lessens the madness-- Trump or Biden winning. More Trump lets the Left continue their daddy-issues tantrum, with no self-reflection. Maybe putting Biden & Kamala-the-magic-negro-vagina-identity-politics-token in power-- changes the dynamic. (Flatten the curve!)
I'm afraid it would be more akin to crossing the Event Horizon. Once in power (either by controlling both Houses of Congress or via abuse of executive orders) they will in short order:

-- Grant citizenship to all eleven million illegal immigrants ... which will turn out to be closer to thirty million;
-- Open the border to allow unlimited numbers of new registered Democrats illegal immigrants to enter and become instant citizens;
-- Declare DC a state;
-- Abolish the Electoral College.

To get around the unconstitutional aspect of these measures, they will:
-- Pack the Supreme Court.

And, Poof! Our Republic is gone. Sorry, Ben: we gave it go.

poof.gif
(497.1 KiB) Downloaded 1274 times

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

Add Poland to the list of countries showing COVID-19 caused excess mortality is related to the severity of the past 2-3 flu seasons, and thus the relative proportion of near end-of-life people in the population who normally would have died of the flu in the previous few years. In Poland's case, they had 3 consecutive bad flu seasons, and no excess mortality due to COVID-19.
While there's not nearly enough evidence to confidently conclude it yet, if it turns out that SARS-CoV-2 was an only slightly worse than typical flu virus, and epidemiologists were fooled into thinking it was much deadlier than it actually was by not realizing the near end-of-life excess population, leading to a grotesque overreaction by nearly every country except Sweden, then a lot of people are going to look very stupid.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Lol PZ Myers on David Silverman...witch of the week status once again

https://archive.is/XIN2A
Here we go again. David Silverman is racing rightwards, and is considering voting for Trump, because he doesn’t like the idea of defunding the police or what the Right are calling “Woke Math”.
Lol, is PZ on the defund the police bandwagon now?
Nobody changed, Dave. If you’re seriously considering voting Republican now, you were never on the side of the Left, which we should have figured out from all the CPAC chasing you were doing.
So now because David is considering Trump voting years ago when he was at CPAC he was a super secret Republican/lying? Lol they're still mad about CPAC.
Biden & Harris are very much center left politicians, so all the caterwauling about how radically socialist they are is absurd — the people I know who are unhappy with the Democratic candidates are rejecting them because they aren’t Left enough, which is actually an honest position.
Yah, Green New Deal, possibly banning fracking, BLM totally center left
They are explaining that math has often been used to justify oppression, whether it’s that slaves only count as 3/5ths of a person, or that the people of African nations have an average IQ of 70. Do you disagree?

No, it's not math that's oppressing, it's laws and attitudes.

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

KiwiInOz wrote:
You might call it tendentious twaddle written by an academic parasite, but that doesn't take anything away from the decline of American (sensu stricto USA) hegemony playing out across the world stage. The Roman Empire lasted from 8 BC - 5 AD and the Brits at least managed from 1600s to 1960ish. How long will the USA be a world power before it has a civil war between the mask wearers and the free breathers and collapses into mehdom?
I would think that nearly everyone on the Pit is competent enough in logic to know showing an argument is invalid doesn't prove the conclusion false, so your first sentence goes without saying. Did you post that link because you thought it was a well-presented argument, or just that you liked the conclusion? You would have been better off making the case yourself.

Although, maybe not, because your singling out of the mask issue seems to mark you as the sort of foreign anti-American satirized in the 1994 film Barcelona, where they wrongly assume the American issues that seem noisiest in their local circles are the active drivers of events.

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
The Libertarian this year is even more whack-o than your usual libertarian: she echoes the 'systemic racism' claims, only her solution is to eliminate the system.

I don't know if Jo Jorgenson is a true woke believer, or the party believes it can best expand among the woke, but that's the direction they're going this year. In 2016, the LP nominees made the electorally disastrous decision to praise Clinton while denigrating Trump, so expansion strategies do not seem their forte. I suspect that despite 15-20% of the population being actively open to supporting a third party, the Libertarian Party this year will have its lowest percentage vote total ever and donations will dwindle to the point the future of the Party is at risk.

Right now, Jorgenson if so off the radar, when you do a Bing search of "Libertarian Party Leader", she turns up 21st in the "related people" list, behind Vermin Surpreme, Clint Eastwood, John McAfee, and some guy named Aubrey Dunn Jr. that doesn't even have a picture.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

:think:

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

When satire grabs you by the throat

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
So no change, then?

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

justinvacula wrote: Lol PZ Myers....
...math has often been used to justify oppression, whether it’s that slaves only count as 3/5ths of a person...
PZ has it backwards. The slave-states were the ones who wanted to slaves to be counted as a full person. The northern states wanted the slaves to count not-count at-all.

To count slaves as five-fifths would give the slaves states more electoral college power & seats in the House of Representatives. (That's a strange thing for PZ to wish-for.)

And and and... the actual compromise proposal was "one Member for every thousand Inhabitants 3/5 of Blacks included." Three-fifths of a thousand people is 600 people. No need to amputate any individual blacks.

The delegates from South Carolina and Georgia proposed that blacks count fully, but that proposal was over-ruled.

The actual adopted wording was "three fifths of all other Persons".

John D

Post by John D »

KiwiInOz wrote:
jugheadnaut wrote:
It's hard for me to conceive of a more stark "this way lies bullshit" warning than the author being "Leadership Chair in Cultures and Ecosystems at Risk at the University of British Columbia". However, I'll give him some credit for amusingly looking like a younger version of Skipper from Gilligan's Island.
Haha.... the old "End of the Republic" story.

Read your political history friends. There is a prediction that the US Republic is doomed to die every 4 years. And this has been true for 200 years. A relatively small problem like Covid, while it feels horrible to live through, is nothing compared to other problems the US has faced. For fucks sake... we made it through one of the biggest civil wars in history.

This reminds me of the religious fanatics that think the end times are coming every time a comet gets close to the Earth.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

KiwiInOz wrote: Are there any legitimate third party options for you guys to vote for. It does seem that you have the rock and the hard place (or devil and the deep blue sea, for the religious) well covered.
We've got the pink polo shirt option, the hawaiian shirt, it-just-means-anti-fascist-maaaaan, chimp-out at the shopping mall, QAnon, Pink Pussy Hats, Jesse Lee Peterson, Wall Of Karens, the Deep State, unfunny comedy show hosts for Progress, White celebrities singing 'Imagine', Farrakan, The Jews, The Squad, Incels, HIllary, Tekashi 6ix9ine. Plenty of options.

Driftless

Post by Driftless »

KiwiInOz wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Comment I posted today on Politiwoke, in response to a TDS sufferer responding to another jaded liberal like me wondering where the 'lesser of two evils' line actually lies:

Are there any legitimate third party options for you guys to vote for. It does seem that you have the rock and the hard place (or devil and the deep blue sea, for the religious) well covered.
I have not looked at it, but Bret Weinstein has the Unity 2020 idea:

https://articlesofunity.org/

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

I concur with juggie's 'Barcelona' diagnosis & John D's comet comparison.
KiwiInOz wrote: The Roman Empire lasted from 8 BC - 5 AD and the Brits at least managed from 1600s to 1960ish. How long will the USA be a world power before it has a civil war between the mask wearers and the free breathers and collapses into mehdom?
To me-- this appears to conflate 3 or 4 ways of sneering at americans; which are mutually incompatible.

Strain #1 acknowledges that the US was the undeniably great in the 20th century-- but lamenting that US success will be short-lived. And the failure will be deserved because the uncultured US was unworthy of top-tier status.

Strain #2 denies US greatness-- painting the US as a sinister cabal, crushing the world-village with bombs and junkfood monoculture and bad economics. The fall of the US death machine is to be cheered, not lamented.

Strain #3 taunts the US for being such hapless rubes-- we can't shop for groceries without brawling over face masks. Which is incompatible with the admitting achievements of #1.

Strain #4 mocks our dumb & dumber two-party system, for lacking a parliament of additional choices. But this conflicts with #2-- reforming the US imperialist death-machine-- just makes it stronger. The rest of the world should hope we remain hopelessly deadlocked... and see the merciful wisdom in the design of our politics.

All 4 strains can be voiced around the same coffee-shop table, with everyone nodding-along. Heck, one person can say all 4 things-- without noting the contradictions. As long as the only purpose of the talk talk talk is Eric Berne/Games People Play/Transactional Analysis/ circle jerking... with the real subtext being "I wish America would stop winning"/ "Me too"/ "Me too"/ "Me too". But if the 4 talkers actually compete to see whose theory is correct-- they'll notice their puzzle pieces don't match.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

KiwiInOz wrote: My friend's grandfather was one of the six generals captured and killed by the 30 September Movement militants in 1965.
In the movie version, 30 September was a failed communist coup attempt, against the dictator. Which was also the dictator's official version. Resulting in the dictator killing a half million people, as communists, with US backing. (Despite the overlap in perspective-- the movie was banned in Indonesia until 2000.)

But another theory sez the six generals were planning a coup against the dictator on Oct 5, so the lower-level officers who mutinied on 30 September-- were actually loyal to the dictator. Rather than being a coup-attempt, 30 September stopped a coup.

Yet another theory sez the dictator steered the whole thing-- to eliminate rivals & grassroots commies.

The intrigues are on a par with The Last Kingdom or Game of Thrones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/30_Septem ... r_Movement

Do you have an opinion-- about what really happened?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

I like Bret, but that's the type of Unity plan a ten-year-old would come up with.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Wisconsin govt agency mandates mandatory facemasks for Zoom teleconference calls from home.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/pol ... 335232001/

ThreeFlangedJavis

Service Dog wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:11 am
I concur with juggie's 'Barcelona' diagnosis & John D's comet comparison.
KiwiInOz wrote: The Roman Empire lasted from 8 BC - 5 AD and the Brits at least managed from 1600s to 1960ish. How long will the USA be a world power before it has a civil war between the mask wearers and the free breathers and collapses into mehdom?
To me-- this appears to conflate 3 or 4 ways of sneering at americans; which are mutually incompatible.

Strain #1 acknowledges that the US was the undeniably great in the 20th century-- but lamenting that US success will be short-lived. And the failure will be deserved because the uncultured US was unworthy of top-tier status.

Strain #2 denies US greatness-- painting the US as a sinister cabal, crushing the world-village with bombs and junkfood monoculture and bad economics. The fall of the US death machine is to be cheered, not lamented.

Strain #3 taunts the US for being such hapless rubes-- we can't shop for groceries without brawling over face masks. Which is incompatible with the admitting achievements of #1.

Strain #4 mocks our dumb & dumber two-party system, for lacking a parliament of additional choices. But this conflicts with #2-- reforming the US imperialist death-machine-- just makes it stronger. The rest of the world should hope we remain hopelessly deadlocked... and see the merciful wisdom in the design of our politics.

All 4 strains can be voiced around the same coffee-shop table, with everyone nodding-along. Heck, one person can say all 4 things-- without noting the contradictions. As long as the only purpose of the talk talk talk is Eric Berne/Games People Play/Transactional Analysis/ circle jerking... with the real subtext being "I wish America would stop winning"/ "Me too"/ "Me too"/ "Me too". But if the 4 talkers actually compete to see whose theory is correct-- they'll notice their puzzle pieces don't match.
I'm not sure which strain I represent. I do have a fondness for sneering at certain kinds of Merkin. Each country seems to produce it's own flavour of arrogant fuckwits and the US flavours are particularly noticeably as a consequence of cultural dominance. Power corrupts and the sins of the US are a consequence of that, but one has to take into account that a lot of those sins are committed with good intentions. As far as I am concerned America, and the West in general, are being demonised for practices which they did the most to eradicate from the world. They are being punished for raising people up economically and giving them the time and moral sensibilities to beat up on the West. It's that thing where being the first to admit the error of one's ways gives hypocrites license to point fingers. I'm getting sick and tired of being blamed for things as part of the white collective by identity groups who commit vastly disproportionate amounts of murder and crime against white people and their fellows. Sauce for the Steersman and all that.

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

Service Dog wrote: Wisconsin govt agency mandates mandatory facemasks for Zoom teleconference calls from home.

If anyone needed proof that a major motivation for mask mandates is the desire to compel performative virtue signaling and tribal affiliation signaling, this is it.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Happy Birthday David Silverman

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Driftless

Post by Driftless »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: I like Bret, but that's the type of Unity plan a ten-year-old would come up with.
They apparently will call the whole thing off if it looks like they'll lose. I'm not sure how they will determine that or how it works.

It also assumes that the President/VP have more power than they do. If congress refuses to work with them they won't get anything done.

I also don't see them getting any good press coverage.

Driftless

Post by Driftless »

Service Dog wrote: Wisconsin govt agency mandates mandatory facemasks for Zoom teleconference calls from home.

If the internet is really a series of tubes then maybe you can catch the virus through the internet.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Lol Greg Laden

ThreeFlangedJavis

Stankeye wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:33 pm
Well for some reason I wonder in this environment if this bombshell article from Matt Taibbi will actually have any affect.

https://taibbi.substack.com/p/the-spies ... XUku1JHT2E
What is really surprising about this "bombshell" is that anybody is surprised. This story was uncovered a long time back. Klaxons have been sounding, red flags flapping everywhere and obviousness headbutting everyone while screaming "look at me, I'm fucking obvious". And what we get as a media response is refusal to cover it, liars pretending that Steele was somehow legit and a chorus of chirps about Flynn and Papadopoulis pleading guilty. I don't see how it is possible to follow the process by which the Steele novel achieved prominence, who the conduits were, the odd circumstances and shady characters involved in trying to elicit confessions from Papadopoulis and set up Flynn as a traitor, the dismissal of counter evidence, doctoring of evidence and official lies and still not see that this was a palace coup. But then there are ahem, bears in the woods who think CNN sourced legal opinions vomited up by Legal Turkey are credible.

Stankeye

Post by Stankeye »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote:
Stankeye wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:33 pm
Well for some reason I wonder in this environment if this bombshell article from Matt Taibbi will actually have any affect.

https://taibbi.substack.com/p/the-spies ... XUku1JHT2E
What is really surprising about this "bombshell" is that anybody is surprised. This story was uncovered a long time back. Klaxons have been sounding, red flags flapping everywhere and obviousness headbutting everyone while screaming "look at me, I'm fucking obvious". And what we get as a media response is refusal to cover it, liars pretending that Steele was somehow legit and a chorus of chirps about Flynn and Papadopoulis pleading guilty. I don't see how it is possible to follow the process by which the Steele novel achieved prominence, who the conduits were, the odd circumstances and shady characters involved in trying to elicit confessions from Papadopoulis and set up Flynn as a traitor, the dismissal of counter evidence, doctoring of evidence and official lies and still not see that this was a palace coup. But then there are ahem, bears in the woods who think CNN sourced legal opinions vomited up by Legal Turkey are credible.
Trump may end up being the chemotherapy we needed but I don't know if the body can handle 4 more years of it or not. We can only hope for a more effective treatment but I don't know where it will come from.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

justinvacula wrote:

Lol Greg Laden
Greg could teach Trump how to turn off his Pussy-Grabbing Switch.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote: I don't see how it is possible to follow the process by which the Steele novel achieved prominence
A lot of women bought it, is how.

Steel_novel.jpeg
(25.8 KiB) Downloaded 1194 times

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Service Dog wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote: My friend's grandfather was one of the six generals captured and killed by the 30 September Movement militants in 1965.
In the movie version, 30 September was a failed communist coup attempt, against the dictator. Which was also the dictator's official version. Resulting in the dictator killing a half million people, as communists, with US backing. (Despite the overlap in perspective-- the movie was banned in Indonesia until 2000.)

But another theory sez the six generals were planning a coup against the dictator on Oct 5, so the lower-level officers who mutinied on 30 September-- were actually loyal to the dictator. Rather than being a coup-attempt, 30 September stopped a coup.

Yet another theory sez the dictator steered the whole thing-- to eliminate rivals & grassroots commies.

The intrigues are on a par with The Last Kingdom or Game of Thrones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/30_Septem ... r_Movement

Do you have an opinion-- about what really happened?
I think that it was a purge with multiple agendas. Whether Sukarno directly ordered it, or asked "Will no one rid me of these troublesome Generals?", is neither here nor there. The PKI were the fall guys (and they were not paragons of virtue by any means). It certainly allowed for the madness that followed.

Indonesia hasn't yet come to grips with it, but some are working towards understanding and reconcilliation (e.g. https://en.tempo.co/read/766242/agus-wi ... l-interest , https://en.tempo.co/read/924144/human-r ... -dark-past). Agus Widjojo is a key player in the demokrasi movement in Indonesia.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

But then Suharto was also a beneficiary. Whether he was an opportunist or intended beneficiary is a question yet to be answered.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Lol SSA sharing Teen Vogue

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

58 year old Sukarno married a 19 year old Japanese waitress in 1962. She was sent-away when things got hairy. Became a socialite, cosmetics mogul, & TV personality in Japan, for decades. Dated Warren Beatty. Stabbed a phillipine heiress with a broken glass in Aspen in 1992 (37 stitches/ 34 days in jail).
Posed for a book of sexy pictures at age 50. https://tinyurl.com/yyputwyq
Owned a pack of 16 dogs. Still going strong on Japanese TV-- as a kind of Betty White/Joan Rivers shock humor prankster.

(info from jap girlfriend)

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

KiwiInOz wrote: The Roman Empire lasted from 8 BC - 5 AD
The role of “emperor” underwent considerable evolution over the centuries. As did the form and function of the British Empire.

I wouldn’t equate Augustus with a fixed and finished form. Dude couldn’t even sort the succession out properly.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

jugheadnaut wrote: snip

Did you post that link because you thought it was a well-presented argument, or just that you liked the conclusion? You would have been better off making the case yourself.

snip
You ask my motivation for posting the link. Let's see. I thought that it was an interesting piece of analysis, albeit overlong and a bit windy. I thought that it would be provocative (and it certainly worked on you). I think that the US of A is its own worst enemy, and that the myths of exceptionalism that sustain it also drain it of legitimacy and power. For example: I watch in some bemusement that the myth of the rugged individual is held up as a pinnacle of achievement, when in fact it is evidence of divide and conquer, driven largely by corporate over citizen interests. I am also bemused that the citizens have allowed the political class to serve the interest of the plutocrats and drive the self fulfilling agenda that Government is the problem, rather than Government being representatives of the citizenry elected to do at scale for the citizenry what individuals can't do. The US of A swapped aristocracy and royalty for plutocracy and seems to think that the resulting inequality is evidence of successful revolution rather than a system set up to ensure success to the already successful.

I don't sneer at the USA, and see el Trumpo as a symptom not a cause.

I could do a comprehensive analysis of my thoughts, but I have a life and the Pit is a bit of respite and place of shit posting and camaraderie.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

13 years. meh. 'The Apprentice' was on TV 15 seasons.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Brive1987 wrote:
The role of “emperor” underwent considerable evolution over the centuries. As did the form and function of the British Empire.

I wouldn’t equate Augustus with a fixed and finished form. Dude couldn’t even sort the succession out properly.
I always though that James Tiberius Kirk was one of the better emperors and generals. His conquest of Pannonia, Dalmatia, Raetia, and parts of Germania were particularly inspired.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

KiwiInOz wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:36 pm
Brive1987 wrote:

I always though that James Tiberius Kirk was one of the better emperors and generals. His conquest of Pannonia, Dalmatia, Raetia, and parts of Germania were particularly inspired.
Thank you for that considered reply. Today feels like just another day in 2020.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Brive1987 wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:36 pm
Brive1987 wrote:

Thank you for that considered reply. Today feels like just another day in 2020.

It's a good thing that she was wearing her mask for protection.

free thoughtpolice

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 69826.html
Mr Cohen also references sex acts in the release but does not say whether Mr Trump took part.

"From golden showers in a sex club in Vegas, to tax fraud, to deals with corrupt officials from the former Soviet Union, to catch and kill conspiracies to silence Trump’s clandestine lovers, I wasn’t just a witness to the president’s rise—I was an active and eager participant."