You is all a bunch of poofs!

Old subthreads

Matt Cavanaugh

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Brive1987 wrote:
Looks staged to me. Why is the other person filming instead of spotting?

Tatts are gross, but worth watching for the camel toe.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Brive1987 wrote: https...://twitter.com/sap__00/status/1294077394064748544?s=21

For:
Camera doesn’t move - appears to be propped
Selfy culture in gym space
The footage makes her look weak. Vegan level. No one wants that. Esp not blue haired tattooed vegans

Against
The bar falls on her face but doesn’t crush it

For
The bar falls on her face

Anyway. It’s an effective metaphor. :)

And the comments are amusing.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Over at PZs
“I just got word that Ed Brayton died peacefully last night.“
That’s all he wrote.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Brive1987 wrote: That’s all he wrote.
There's no reason that he should write more, or indeed anything at all, if he does not want to.

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

KiwiInOz wrote: You ask my motivation for posting the link. Let's see. I thought that it was an interesting piece of analysis, albeit overlong and a bit windy. I thought that it would be provocative (and it certainly worked on you).
Well, not really, I just mockingly dismissed it and saw no need to engage with it in any depth.
KiwiInOz wrote: I think that the US of A is its own worst enemy, and that the myths of exceptionalism that sustain it also drain it of legitimacy and power. For example: I watch in some bemusement that the myth of the rugged individual is held up as a pinnacle of achievement, when in fact it is evidence of divide and conquer, driven largely by corporate over citizen interests. I am also bemused that the citizens have allowed the political class to serve the interest of the plutocrats and drive the self fulfilling agenda that Government is the problem, rather than Government being representatives of the citizenry elected to do at scale for the citizenry what individuals can't do. The US of A swapped aristocracy and royalty for plutocracy and seems to think that the resulting inequality is evidence of successful revolution rather than a system set up to ensure success to the already successful.

I don't sneer at the USA, and see el Trumpo as a symptom not a cause.

I could do a comprehensive analysis of my thoughts, but I have a life and the Pit is a bit of respite and place of shit posting and camaraderie.
As you, quite intentionally, didn't include any evidence in your statement, I'm tempted to just go the Hitchen's Razor route. I will say, however, that I've heard the US is a plutocracy argument before and have always found it astonishingly weak, usually expressing more about the speaker's lack of understanding of the arguments of his political opponents than anything else.

The basic structure tends to be, the US isn't enacting policies I like and I believe benefit the common man at the expense of corporations, therefore the US must be run for the benefit of corporations/the rich. A classic example is 'right to work' laws, which allows corporations to permanently fire striking employees, even when part of a union. This has the effect of curtailing union labor monopolies and restricting their power to their natural market power. The leftist argument is that unions increase wages and improve working conditions, so how can the policy be to restrict their power unless public policy is controlled by corporations. The right wing, free market argument is that the benefits go only to a visible few, and monopolistic unions actually create unemployment and discourage innovation that increases productivity and, in the longer term, wages, and so the better policy for the common man is to have 'right to work' laws. The reason these laws may prevail isn't that the government is controlled by corporations, it's that the view that this is the better policy for everyone has, at least for the time being, carried the day.

Of course, there is an intersection of wealth and political power in the US, and there are real examples of corporatism that I deplore. These tend to have the main effect of keeping out smaller competition. But the US in no way stand out in this regard, it exists in almost all countries. In general, the bigger the scope of government, the bigger a problem it is, as there are far greater opportunities for rent seeking and corruption.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

MarcusAu wrote:
Brive1987 wrote: That’s all he wrote.
There's no reason that he should write more, or indeed anything at all, if he does not want to.
Once again I am astounded by the quality of your informed response.

Thank you.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Brive1987 wrote: Once again I am astounded by the quality of your informed response.
You'll get over it.

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

Maclean's, basically Canada's version of Time Magazine, has a devastating hit piece on Kamala Harris from the left, basically expanding on Tulsi Gabbard.

Kamala Harris is no friend of the community

And, in a neither here nor there, here's an article from Maclean's from back in February, which found a highly disapproving writing from her father on a Jamaican web site written after Harris jokingly admitted that of course she's tried weed, she's Jamaican:
My dear departed grandmothers, as well as my deceased parents, must be turning in their grave right now to see their family’s name, reputation and proud Jamaican identity being connected, in any way, jokingly or not with the fraudulent stereotype of a pot-smoking joy seeker and in the pursuit of identity politics. Speaking for myself and my immediate Jamaican family, we wish to categorically dissociate ourselves from this travesty.
He's had other public criticisms of her and her sister (who is also accomplished) as well.
https://www.macleans.ca/politics/kamala ... -heritage/

Seems like an almost comical exaggeration of the the stereotype of the stern West Indies father. Probably explains quite a bit about her personality.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

KiwiInOz wrote: But then Suharto was also a beneficiary. Whether he was an opportunist or intended beneficiary is a question yet to be answered.
One of the best books on the subject I know is "The Jakarta Method" by Vincent Bevins.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:

I was expecting her to squeeze one out there...

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote: I do have a fondness for sneering at certain kinds of Merkin.
Well, shame on you! Anyone with the guts/balls/backbone/name-your-favourite-bit-of-anatomy to wear a merkin deserves our respect. But the 'certain kinds' needs explication: blonde, black, ginger, long, short, curly, extensive or what? Asking for a friend...
KiwiInOz wrote: The Roman Empire lasted from 8 BC - 5 AD...
In which case I doubt the comment from the Duke of Gloucester could have applied: "Another damn'd thick, square book! Always, scribble, scribble, scribble! Eh! Mr. Gibbon?"

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

And SD, did you restart the lithium yet? We are finding it hard to keep up with the onslaught of posts.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Percentage

Post by Percentage »

Brive1987 wrote: Over at PZs
That’s all he wrote.
Presumably he doesn't really have anything else to say. I mean, what is there to say? I guess I'd expect some lengthier tributes over the next few weeks, but most everything Ed was notable for was very public - his blog, some of his organizing, and so on. He never quite broke into the mainstream of New Atheism/skepticism (or whatever remains of that decimated community), so he won't be getting notices in the mainstream media. It'll just be his friends, colleagues, etc. Nothing at all wrong with that, of course.

I admit I'm a little bit - not broken up exactly, but wistful. I didn't know Brayton, and I certainly think he deserved some criticism as do we all, but he was also a sharp guy willing to do some of the unsexy grunt work that is essential to the health and maintenance of any community/political movement. Especially with the advent of social media, a lot of activists (of whatever stripe) are drawn to the performative, public-facing aspect of politics and wind up mostly cultivating their own personal brand rather than contributing materially to some larger whole. Also, he had a long-running blog that I'd been reading (very inconsistently, but still) for most of the past decade.

I just feel like it wasn't his time, and - notwithstanding some of his missteps and the disagreements I may have had with him - he was a valuable member of the skeptic community with a lot left to contribute. (How old was he, anyway? His parents are apparently still alive, so he can't have been much over 50.)

But there's nothing to be done anymore. Rest in peace, Ed.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

There's GOT to be some way for a wokester to take offense at that, BTW.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Percentage wrote: he can't have been much over 50
Stone

free thoughtpolice

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Percentage

Post by Percentage »

Lsuoma wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:53 pm
Percentage wrote: he can't have been much over 50
Stone
Well, yeah. I'm still not quite sure exactly what the issue was, but it was almost certainly related to his weight. Obesity (real, clinical obesity, not a little flab) really is a killer, and that's becoming harder to talk about these days. I wonder if Michelle Obama wouldn't have chosen a different cause in 2020... and that's kind of weird to contemplate.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

MarcusAu wrote:
Brive1987 wrote: Once again I am astounded by the quality of your informed response.
You'll get over it.
This time you were spot on.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

To settle the Pit-Karens,

PZ and Ed didn’t part in best of terms
PZ didn’t get a mention in Ed’s farewell. Certainly he failed the leadership test.
PZ can’t afford to actually bad mouth Ed as he carks it.
The solemn “he’s dead” pronouncement is a nice piece of passive ambiguity.

Either “there are no words”

Or.

“I can’t be bothered to find words”.

Good one Paul.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

A different type of gym.

Have you started your “dinosaur training”?

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

The Trayvon Hoax-- a documentary exposing the George Zimmerman trial as a fraud, with an imposter as star witness--

is currently available to watch free on YouTube.

It vacillates between great and goofy. The film-maker himself has a great voice, and a goofy face. He executes an amazing sting-- tricking the real witness into giving handwriting and saliva samples. But he also detours the film into pointless attempts at humor-- such as visiting a Haitian voodoo priest. I watched a lot of that on 1.5x and even 2x speed.

At least the goofy shit kept me watching-- "what is this ferret-face going to do next?!". And it serves as a deconstruction of Michael Moore's signature style.

The great shit incriminates Don Lemon's gay politician buddy Andrew Gillum (recently found incoherent from meth in a hotel room, with a prostitute), incriminates BLM lawyer Benjamin Crump, and Trayvon's parents, and a whole bunch of ghetto people who knew about the impostor, and casts serious shade on all the prosecuting attorneys. Even Hillary Clinton makes an appearence.

There's also salacious shit. I approve of that. Trayvon's friends and family live salacious lives, broadcasting themselves on social media. That's a crucial element of understanding the truth of the situtation. For example-- we were told poor little Trayvon was just out in the rain-- going to the corner store for a pack of Skittles and and Arizona Ice Tea. I feel like we were clowned-- since those items are also used as ingredients to make "Lean", just add cough syrup or Codeine. Trayvon's texts show he was a big fan of lean. I never saw that on the news. And he bought & sold handguns with gang members.

The film was released last year, and ends with a deadly-accurate prediction of how 2020's racial would be deployed to control the black vote.
In December, George Zimmerman filed a lawsuit based on the film's revelations.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Brive1987 wrote: To settle the Pit-Karens,

PZ and Ed didn’t part in best of terms
PZ didn’t get a mention in Ed’s farewell. Certainly he failed the leadership test.
PZ can’t afford to actually bad mouth Ed as he carks it.
The solemn “he’s dead” pronouncement is a nice piece of passive ambiguity.

Either “there are no words”

Or.

“I can’t be bothered to find words”.

Good one Paul.
"Pit-Karen" seems an odd characterisation. Seeing that I've almost made a point of not contacting anyone's manager - even to complain about something they didn't say.

Perhaps you are confusing said commenters with Mykeru.

I don't know exactly what happened between Myers and Brayton - seems a bit late to resolve, and pointless to relitigate now.

Brayton's family are probably happy for a bit of 'passive ambiguity' at this time - and when it comes to Myers it may be the best anyone can hope for.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Percentage wrote: But there's nothing to be done anymore. Rest in peace, Ed.
If I was deciding who should write the eulogy - I think you would probably be getting the job rather than Myers.

But that's a fairly low bar to pass...

Driftless

Post by Driftless »

Service Dog wrote: The Trayvon Hoax-- a documentary exposing the George Zimmerman trial as a fraud, with an imposter as star witness--

It vacillates between great and goofy. The film-maker himself has a great voice, and a goofy face. He executes an amazing sting-- tricking the real witness into giving handwriting and saliva samples. But he also detours the film into pointless attempts at humor-- such as visiting a Haitian voodoo priest. I watched a lot of that on 1.5x and even 2x speed.

At least the goofy shit kept me watching-- "what is this ferret-face going to do next?!". And it serves as a deconstruction of Michael Moore's signature style.

The great shit incriminates Don Lemon's gay politician buddy Andrew Gillum (recently found incoherent from meth in a hotel room, with a prostitute), incriminates BLM lawyer Benjamin Crump, and Trayvon's parents, and a whole bunch of ghetto people who knew about the impostor, and casts serious shade on all the prosecuting attorneys. Even Hillary Clinton makes an appearence.

There's also salacious shit. I approve of that. Trayvon's friends and family live salacious lives, broadcasting themselves on social media. That's a crucial element of understanding the truth of the situtation. For example-- we were told poor little Trayvon was just out in the rain-- going to the corner store for a pack of Skittles and and Arizona Ice Tea. I feel like we were clowned-- since those items are also used as ingredients to make "Lean", just add cough syrup or Codeine. Trayvon's texts show he was a big fan of lean. I never saw that on the news. And he bought & sold handguns with gang members.

The film was released last year, and ends with a deadly-accurate prediction of how 2020's racial would be deployed to control the black vote.
I listened to an episode of Glenn Loury's podcast where he talked about this with John McWhorter. The fake witness part seemed like it was pretty well proven. I think it shows what happens when an event turns into a media circus instead of a careful investigation. The Covington kids situation is another. Once the narrative takes off it becomes tribal and it is difficult to bring things back to the actual facts of the case. And anyone who disagrees with the narrative must be part of the other tribe, and therefore wrong or at least biased.

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

Would pay to see the result if this was attempted in Fort Collins, CO or just about any town in Texas (Austin excluded).

John D

Post by John D »

Service Dog wrote: The Trayvon Hoax-- a documentary exposing the George Zimmerman trial as a fraud, with an imposter as star witness--

How is this not national news? WTF. I live in clown world. And the only person reporting on it is this goof-ball. WTF.

Driftless

Post by Driftless »

jugheadnaut wrote: Would pay to see the result if this was attempted in Fort Collins, CO or just about any town in Texas (Austin excluded).
As I have said, I would like to ask corporations (and people) who say they support BLM if they are willing to put their money where their mouth is. It looks like this groups is asking them to do that.

It is like the indigenous land statements. It is one thing to state it, but wha are you going to do about it?

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Don't fuck with the tatanka:

Really?

Post by Really? »

Service Dog, thanks for the link to the Trayvon Martin documentary. I was never under the impression that Martin was an angel, but it always seemed to me like a situation in which asshole met asshole.

I have to tip my cap to this guy's investigative powers; he reminds me of us.

I am shocked...SHOCKED that the mainstream media somehow forgot to show us all the pictures of Martin with drugs and drug money and guns and everything. I'm also shocked that people would upload so much evidence of themselves committing crimes.

I've lost all faith in the traditional truthtellers. People like Sharpton know that they're lying and perpetuating divisive lies, but they don't care.

My favorite part so far is how the absentee father had his Crips neck tattoo covered with praying hands. A smart person knows how to spin a tattoo in court.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Driftless wrote: I listened to an episode of Glenn Loury's podcast where he talked about this with John McWhorter.
I'm listening to that now.

At 23m24s, McWhorter describes the documentary-guy's "idea that the Trayvon Martin case symbolizes the state of race relations in this country, and that case-- in particular-- was the beginning of a whole new period" .... "Democrats cynically using the Trayvon Martin case to keep their power."

McWhorter's objection-- in December 2019-- was, "I find that over-simplified and unconvincing." I wonder whether McWhorter ever explicitly revisited his objection. I think he'd have to concede the documentary guy was proven right.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

(McWhorter/Loury video was ok-- not must-see, IMO. FWIW)

Percentage

Post by Percentage »

MarcusAu wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:06 am
Percentage wrote: But there's nothing to be done anymore. Rest in peace, Ed.
If I was deciding who should write the eulogy - I think you would probably be getting the job rather than Myers.

But that's a fairly low bar to pass...
Hah. Like I said, I didn't even know the guy! He was just someone whose work I generally admired, even if I wasn't a huge fan of FTB. But he did a lot more than that, and anyway I don't really hold him too responsible for the behavior of some of his colleagues.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Brive1987 wrote:
I choose D. All of the above.

Keating

Post by Keating »

At the same time.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

A brave move which it seems you have pulled off.

But the odds are not generally in your favour.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

KiwiInOz wrote: I choose D.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Brive1987 wrote: A brave move which it seems you have pulled off.

Thanks for doxxing me. I thought nobody on the internet would know that I was an obese adult female, aged between 20 and 74, in the USA.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Bhurzum wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote: I choose D.
Buy me dinner first, Bhurzum, and then we'll see.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Keating wrote: At the same time.
No way. Do you think that I'm a glutton?

I save my doughnuts for afters.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

KiwiInOz wrote: Buy me dinner first, Bhurzum, and then we'll see.
You just priced yourself out of the market.

(canny Scot and all that good stuff)

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

KiwiInOz wrote:

[img]https..l://i.imgur.com/3Y21Wbz.png[/img]
Thanks for doxxing me. I thought nobody on the internet would know that I was an obese adult female, aged between 20 and 74, in the USA.
You had it coming bitch.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

jugheadnaut wrote:
Whites move out-- they complain about White Flight. Whites move in-- they complain about Gentrification.

Same black genius as in the above video, explains how the whites jewed the blacks' out of their houses...

Driftless

Post by Driftless »

Service Dog wrote:
jugheadnaut wrote:
Whites move out-- they complain about White Flight. Whites move in-- they complain about Gentrification.

Same black genius as in the above video, explains how the whites jewed the blacks' out of their houses...

And as we all know, math has been used to prop up white supremacy, so you can't say that blacks need better math education so that they can better understand loans, house values, and so on. That would be racist.

So that just leaves giving them the houses.

I would say it is perfectly logical, but of course logic is another one of those things that has been used ot prop up white supremacy.

So all that is left is to do what they say.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Did Trump's brother die of a Covid 19 related cause?

Keating

Post by Keating »

What does your research lead you to conclude on the theory that some of the obesity problem is a result of changes in our microbiomes? I've seen a few pieces suggesting that the same diet and exercise level today as in the 80s is harder to be fit on then it used to be. One suggestion is that our microbiomes are worse today, because the chemicals they put in the water to turn the frogs gay, also kill the better bacteria within us. Another theory, somewhat related is that the quality of ingredients also seems to have declined (as a side effect of selecting for aesthetic and commercial qualities, rather than nutritional value). I've certainly noticed the some recipes from the 70s and 80s don't work as well with ingredients I have access to then they apparently used to.

I'm still at a stage in life where I'm happy eating a wide variety of foods. I tend to be meat heavy, but I love a fried egg on toast and a capsicum salad too.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

KiwiInOz wrote: Did Trump's brother die of a Covid 19 related cause?
No one has said yet. However, the leftists on Twitter have already done the autopsy and decided that Trump killed his brother with Covid.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Gumby wrote:
No one has said yet. However, the leftists on Twitter have already done the autopsy and decided that Trump killed his brother with Covid.
I heard that it was a false flag op by Killary and Mustapha Obama.

free thoughtpolice

Not often a conspiracy type but...
His brother just took the death march a while ago.
He said he was OK! Protip, they always say that.
Jervanka ! Who else?

free thoughtpolice

And his niece better watch out too. And Micky Cohen, his ex-fixer.
Covid is going to visit the disloyal; saith the Lord.

mordacious1

Post by mordacious1 »

One solution to female obesity issues (taking the US as a whole, not individuals), is to increase immigration from Asian countries and decrease immigration from Central America and Mexico. Just my personal observation.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

mordacious1 wrote: One solution to female obesity issues (taking the US as a whole, not individuals), is to increase immigration from Asian countries and decrease immigration from Central America and Mexico. Just my personal observation.
Whaling could be brought back as an industry.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Keating wrote:
What does your research lead you to conclude on the theory that some of the obesity problem is a result of changes in our microbiomes? I've seen a few pieces suggesting that the same diet and exercise level today as in the 80s is harder to be fit on then it used to be. One suggestion is that our microbiomes are worse today, because the chemicals they put in the water to turn the frogs gay, also kill the better bacteria within us. Another theory, somewhat related is that the quality of ingredients also seems to have declined (as a side effect of selecting for aesthetic and commercial qualities, rather than nutritional value). I've certainly noticed the some recipes from the 70s and 80s don't work as well with ingredients I have access to then they apparently used to.

I'm still at a stage in life where I'm happy eating a wide variety of foods. I tend to be meat heavy, but I love a fried egg on toast and a capsicum salad too.
You are supposed to be able to reset your microbiome fairly quickly on wholefoods. Re ingredients, seed oil and refined grains are at the centre of UPF crap and if anything they have improved (removal of trans-fats).

Ultimately, as they say, obesity is multifactorial.

High refined-carb foods fuck with your insulin and lead to resistance, the pathway to T2D.
Highly palatable, high energy, low satiety processed food leave us As obese, hungry compulsive eaters with leptin resistance
Some would argue the rise of PUFAs is also causing more visceral fat and increased insulin resistance
UPF promotes dependency and withdrawal issues aka ‘addiction’
Genes in hispanic and black populations exacerbate the problem
Subsidies and old fashion capitalism make UPF cheap, always available and highly marketed
Margins on fresh food are lower than long shelf-life, fibre free crap. So food deserts
Lack of exercise and increased stress are allowing run away cortisol levels
Know one knows how to cook anymore.

The dietary guidelines encourage a primarily plant based diet (12oz of meat allowed a week) which is a tough replacement for the standard American diet. Low in satiety, high in low-available nutrients and high in grain. Plus the ‘deep state’ is antagonistic towards the natural human diet; high in protein and saturated fats.

A whole food diet is good regardless of macros, but only if you are not already metabolically compromised. It’s not uncommon for young people to have high insulin levels despite possessing acceptable glucose. Here the body is working harder at stuffing the suitcase closed and is already headed for IR and T2D. But insulin is less commonly tested than blood sugar.

Personally I think it’s an obesogenic society and you have to fight the machine with a rules based approach.

These are mine:
Wholefoods - no UPF
Emphasis on protein and fat
1-2 meals a day
First meal after noon - closer to 2:00pm
No snacks
Don’t drink your calories
Keep daily energy Intake to about 7000kJ or less
Moderate exercise for 50 mins a day
Some daily resistance training
Keep your carbs to incidentals only - say 20-40 grams but with no actual permitted “allowance”
Have 1x carbIsh day every 5-10 days or so to retain flexibility (say 80-100 grams or so)

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Brive1987 wrote: Lack of exercise and increased stress are allowing run away cortisol levels
Exercise also lowers glucose levels and high stress hormone levels release glucose. An hour of HIIT training is achievable by most people, even if it's on a stationary bike.
Brive1987 wrote: But insulin is less commonly tested than blood sugar.
In the US you basically have to twist your doctor's arm behind his back to get a fasting insulin test, and then your insurance probably won't cover it. This, in the western nation with highest incidence of diabetes. It's insane. One third of Americans have pre-diabetes. There are nations (especially Pacific Islanders) where one quarter to one third of the population have diabetes. It's quite obvious the human diet has gone off the rails. It's like people once considered AIDS, a species killer. We need to solve the problem before it kills us all off.

Also, gay frogs have always been a problem.