Old subthreads
screwtape

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

Post by screwtape »

🐀 #82. ;)

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

James Lindsay appears on the Tom Woods Show podcast, says his evolution as a critic of SJW academia-- was due to his involvement in New Atheism 2011-2015.

Much of this interview is familiar stuff, but it's interesting to look back at the abstract academic dogma, now that it's 'praxis'-- out raging in the streets.

Two parts of this interview which gave me new insight:
1. his description of 'queering' as an intentional attempt to flip normal stuff-- male&female, masculine&feminine, gay,straight,&bi-- to make the normal seem weird and absurd. (others call this Clown World)
2. his description of 'Disability Studies'. If you're deaf, your a member of the 'deaf community' & should prioritize that identity. Your disability isn't lack of hearing/ but society's failure to accommodate you. And curing deafness is genocide against the deaf.

https://tomwoods.com/ep-1724-postmodern ... -academia/

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

The TV Series, ROME's, twist on the Antony and Cleopatra story was quite clever, IMO.

Driftless

Post by Driftless »

Service Dog wrote: James Lindsay appears on the Tom Woods Show podcast, says his evolution as a critic of SJW academia-- was due to his involvement in New Atheism 2011-2015.

Much of this interview is familiar stuff, but it's interesting to look back at the abstract academic dogma, now that it's 'praxis'-- out raging in the streets.

Two parts of this interview which gave me new insight:
1. his description of 'queering' as an intentional attempt to flip normal stuff-- male&female, masculine&feminine, gay,straight,&bi-- to make the normal seem weird and absurd. (others call this Clown World)
2. his description of 'Disability Studies'. If you're deaf, your a member of the 'deaf community' & should prioritize that identity. Your disability isn't lack of hearing/ but society's failure to accommodate you. And curing deafness is genocide against the deaf.

https://tomwoods.com/ep-1724-postmodern ... -academia/
Thanks! I was running low on podcasts. I have heard James Lindsay talk before about the atheist movement. His take seems to agree with what I have seen in other places.

Just finished the chapter on Disability Studies in his book. I had heard the argument before about curing deafness being genocide, but never thought of it in turns of "identity". If you are a "deaf person" instead of a person who happens to be death, then curing your deafness is erasing your identity. You can apparently now be a depressed person/anxious person/suicidal person as well. At least the last one is sort of self-limiting.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Service Dog wrote: If you're deaf, your a member of the 'deaf community' & should prioritize that identity. Your disability isn't lack of hearing/ but society's failure to accommodate you. And curing deafness is genocide against the deaf.
I have had half of my right ear and none of my left since age eight. Ironically, caused by a (very) brief early 60's fashion for treating ear infections with a single IM shot of streptomycin, which kills the auditory nerve. I modified stethoscopes acoustically, and later tried a few electronic ones in order to hear heart sounds. But I've never heard stereo, which is a bit sad for someone with a nice cartridge, turntable, tube amps and electrostatic speakers. Screw the 'deaf community' - I'd love to hear what people mean by a soundstage, and enjoy the Blümlein mic'ed recordings I have. OTOH, if I sleep on my right side, I can sleep through telephones, hurricanes, even my wife snoring. It evens out.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Dark Shadows new episode: Thugs on a Plane.
Did the plane come from Collinsport Maine? Were the shadowy thugs dressed in black Antifa or just run of the mill goths?
Is senator Susan Collins related to Barnabas and a member of the Undead?
The episode is scheduled to air after the investigation, about the same time as we get Trump's tax returns. :character-count:

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: The TV Series, ROME's, twist on the Antony and Cleopatra story was quite clever, IMO.
Was it as clever as the Netflix rendition of historical Scotland?

"Pass da haggis and crack, bitch-made muthafucka!" - Mary "LaFonquay" Queen of Scots.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

screwtape wrote:
I have had half of my right ear and none of my left since age eight. Ironically, caused by a (very) brief early 60's fashion for treating ear infections with a single IM shot of streptomycin, which kills the auditory nerve. I modified stethoscopes acoustically, and later tried a few electronic ones in order to hear heart sounds. But I've never heard stereo, which is a bit sad for someone with a nice cartridge, turntable, tube amps and electrostatic speakers. Screw the 'deaf community' - I'd love to hear what people mean by a soundstage, and enjoy the Blümlein mic'ed recordings I have. OTOH, if I sleep on my right side, I can sleep through telephones, hurricanes, even my wife snoring. It evens out.
A growth in one external auditory canal-- made me gradually deaf, eventually 100%, one year. Easily yanked-out, quick surgery.
It made music unenjoyable-- dissonant pitches in each ear. Loud places were painful. The biggest downside was social: I had to lean-forward & stare at people's lips to follow their words, ask them to repeat things, take clear turns/ not interrupt. And I would raise my voice & enunciate-- to prompt others to do the same/ which made me seem strange to them. I became less popular.

I suppose that experience connects me to 'All' deaf people. Deafs. People of Deafness...

but, subjectively, the 'collective' I felt part-of... was social-class based. Hearing loss cost me social status.

It reminded me of junior high-- my nerd-status lunch table. We had a fat kid, a gay kid, a slow southern accent kid, a hyperactive kid, a silent kid, a kid who looked like the Simpson's Mr. Burns. We uniform-- all fat kids, or all deaf kids. But we weren't at the table of good-looking athletes + kids with rich parents. We were a step below. And a step above the kids who were too oddball to at-least be a part of the nerd-collective. (We were also-- ultimately-- better-off than the kids who were also lame-os, but insisted on endlessly-failing to join the cool kids/ rather than accepting their place with us nerds.)

This social-status dynamic has to be true of SJWs, as well. Yer probably not the most successful woman or black or deaf person-- if yer social circle isn't defined by profession, or hobby, or family or... something better-than defaulting-to being a 'feminist' or fulltime-black or defined-by-yer-deafness.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

The Kenosha thing is a mind boggler. As an admixture of various ethnic peoples, who through space and time suffered each and every form of rape, both in how the crime is usually described in penal codes, and how it is employed as a metaphorical device, whose genomics and culture have now been subsumed in the great citizenry of tribes, most commonly known as EUians. I have to say thank fuck i'm not a USian.

I ANAL; Looking at the kid(s) on the street with rifles is alien to me, in that i am the first to say "that's not okay". Further, seeing the police interaction with the kids, not being one of treating them as potential threats to others around them, but rather "hey dudes wanna come to the after party?" Is when i checked my beer to see if i'd been spiked. Then i remember i'm of the Ancient High Elf Wican, a cast of EUians, and we don't understand the American race. Ali G did make a good attempt at translation in his works though.

SO i refer to the notion of ROE in combat zones (the US seems to fit that criteria), if it does come down to a simple question of justified force. The kid could very clearly argue he was in fear for his life, and so was justified in using his weapon to protect himself. The video i have watched suggest to me, he was trying to exfiltrate (get the fuck out of dodge) and was being pursued by a number of hostile persons, at least one of whom seems to be armed with a handgun.

What will also work in his favour was his trigger discipline. Yes, you read that right. The people he wounded, were only people he could claim were a direct threat to him, well what about the guy who tried to disarm him!!! (dodged the peanut). Attempting to take someones weapon is a direct threat to their life. The argument being, that you have good reason to believe the weapon would then be used to end you, and so taking out the person grabbing your weapon is justifiable force.

The problem is the kids having the guns in the first place.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Our pasty white old friend parrots the racist hot take about rioting and gets some attention from James Lindsay in the process!

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

I've started reading Pluckrose's/Lindsay's Cynical Theories, and it's pretty good so far. Formalizes a lot of the stuff we have covered here in the Pit. I've finished the general preambular stuff, and just about to begin the chapter on Critical Race Theory. Dis gon' be gud!

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

All of the greatest philosophy in civilization can be traced back to Staines, have a think about that.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Lsuoma wrote: I've started reading Pluckrose's/Lindsay's Cynical Theories, and it's pretty good so far. Formalizes a lot of the stuff we have covered here in the Pit. I've finished the general preambular stuff, and just about to begin the chapter on Critical Race Theory. Dis gon' be gud!
When you get to the section dealing with "thumb over or behind the guitar neck", let us know what it says!

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Bhurzum wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: The TV Series, ROME's, twist on the Antony and Cleopatra story was quite clever, IMO.

"Pass da haggis and crack, bitch-made muthafucka!" - Mary "LaFonquay" Queen of Scots.
Ah fuck me. I just watched/fast-forwarded through LADY MACBETH. In which half the characters of this drawing room drama set in Victorian Era northern England are POCs. If you can get past that woke idiocy, it's a dreadful film filled with depravity, the slaughter of a horse, and a brain-numbing pace that's really cargo cult Merchant/Ivory. The only upside, and the reason for the fast-forwarding, is Florence Pugh periodically shows off her delicious booty.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Za-zen wrote: I ANAL
Pitcher or catcher?

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

screwtape wrote:
Service Dog wrote: If you're deaf, your a member of the 'deaf community' & should prioritize that identity. Your disability isn't lack of hearing/ but society's failure to accommodate you. And curing deafness is genocide against the deaf.
Q: What is a streptotrap for?
A: To catch streptomycin.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Bollocks to Shakespeare and Tudor royalist propaganda in general.

Half the time they update the costumes and scenery to something very much not of the time of King Lear (whenever that was), whilst still spouting artificial iambic pentameter-ish nonsense using words that didn't exist before the playwright made them up.

Summer's day? I wouldn't even compare it to a half digested dog's breakfast...

You'll find me still waiting for Godot.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Za-zen wrote: I ANAL
Pitcher or catcher?
They have to dress in wigs and frocks you know, just saying.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Looking at the charges laid against the Kenosha one, i'm surprised they didn't charge him with the kennedy assassination. The firearm one may be in play, but as for the rest, i don't see them sticking. But perhaps that's the point.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Za-zen wrote: we don't understand the American race. Ali G did make a good attempt at translation in his works though.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Bhurzum wrote:

You should see what they did to Jeanne d'Arc a while back ...

:cdc:

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Brive1987 wrote: You should see what they did to Jeanne d'Arc a while back ...
Was it rare or well done?

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

It could be worse, they could have raked her across the coals!

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

MarcusAu wrote:
Was it rare or well done?
Dag-nabbit - can't I shit post in peace? Fecking ninja warriors everywhere...

https://media1.giphy.com/media/3dJ09sFeN0IjC/giphy.gif

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Flamed. :burn:

Anyway.

Apparently while America also burns, PZ is having a week from hell.

Not only does he have to actually work, he also gets to be a victim because his students may have been exposed to COVID. And his lack of blog admin skills blew back. Leaving him less time to fuck about with insects.

:bjarte:

At least we now know “if FTB falls in the forest will anyone know or care?”

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Brive1987 wrote: Flamed. :burn:
Nah, just playful banter, matey!

Speaking of which - yay! Cultural enrichment!

*Warning* - footage of a severe beating! Not for gentle souls!

Fuck me, that's going to sting in the shower!

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Hahah - a while back I celebrated some nazi documentary footage escaping into the wild.

That was short lived. Fucking Youtube.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Biden crosses state lines to remove his covid mask and yell, with his face next to a stack of pizzas, to be shared by group of strangers.

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

Za-zen wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:21 pm
Looking at the charges laid against the Kenosha one, i'm surprised they didn't charge him with the kennedy assassination. The firearm one may be in play, but as for the rest, i don't see them sticking. But perhaps that's the point.
The firearm possession is a misdemeanour. How one came to have the weapon doesn't have much bearing on the right to self defence as I understand it. From the outside it looks as if parts of the US justice system have become hopelessly political narrative driven with a sizeable dollop of wet finger in the wind int the mix as well.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

screwtape wrote: I have had half of my right ear and none of my left since age eight. Ironically, caused by a (very) brief early 60's fashion for treating ear infections with a single IM shot of streptomycin, which kills the auditory nerve. I modified stethoscopes acoustically, and later tried a few electronic ones in order to hear heart sounds. But I've never heard stereo, which is a bit sad for someone with a nice cartridge, turntable, tube amps and electrostatic speakers. Screw the 'deaf community' - I'd love to hear what people mean by a soundstage, and enjoy the Blümlein mic'ed recordings I have. OTOH, if I sleep on my right side, I can sleep through telephones, hurricanes, even my wife snoring. It evens out.
Bloody Uncle Tin(itis)

It's people like you that are blind to deaf culture. You just don't hear what they're saying.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Whoa -- Peez appropriated yiddish there. Do the Eikks get to cancel him now?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Biden in Kenosha today: Trump “legitimized a dark side of human nature” in his supporters, who then crawled “out from under the rocks.” Trump’s behavior exposed “[t]he underlying racism that is institutionalized in the United States that still exists and has for 400 years.” And that caused the trouble in Kenosha.

Support for Harris/Biden among blacks is plummeting over concerns about law & order and defunding the police (which 80% of blacks oppose.) So the campaign goes balls-to-the-wall on the systemic racism angle.

This ad came out today:

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

"Joan Donovan, PhD, is Director of the Technology and Social Change Research Project at Harvard Kennedy’s Shorenstein Center."

//Surly!//

"... Dr. Donovan has been published in Nature, MIT Technology Review, and The New York Times. Her peer-reviewed articles have appeared in Social Media + Society, Journal of Contemporary Ethnography, Online Information Review, and Information, Communication, & Society.

...Dr. Donovan is leading the development of the Media Manipulation Case Book, which is an online research platform that advances knowledge of how misinformation and disinformation travel across the web and social media. The Case Book includes case studies, theory, methods, and frameworks. It has been built in order to equip researchers in the field of Critical Internet Studies to analyze dynamic media ecosystems, tactical innovation, and the interplay between society, technology, and politics.

...She received her Sociology and Science Studies Ph.D. in 2015 from University of California – San Diego. Her postdoctoral fellowship was at the University of California – Los Angeles Institute for Society and Genetics where she studied white supremacists’ use of DNA ancestry tests, social movements, and technology. Dr. Donovan’s extensive experience covers the fields of critical Internet studies, medical misinformation, and media manipulation and disinformation campaigns."

MIT Technology Review
Dr. Joan Donovan
Sept 3, 2020
"How an overload of riot porn is driving conflict in the streets"

https://archive.is/29wcK
When Kyle Rittenhouse shot and murdered protesters in Kenosha, Wisconsin, it wasn’t just the act of a lone vigilante; it was a direct consequence of white militia groups’ organizing on social media.
Since June, right-wing media makers have recorded and circulated videos of violent altercations at protests in cities including New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Los Angeles, and Portland, Oregon. Fed into a media ecosystem with an established bias toward highlighting violence and rioting, the videos have mobilized white militia and vigilante groups to take up arms against Black Lives Matter and “antifa” :nin: protesters. This feedback circuit has created a self-fulfilling cycle where white vigilantes feel justified in menacing and physically attacking racial justice protesters—and inspire others to do the same.
Misinformation about police brutality protests is being spread by the same sources as covid-19 denial. The troubling results suggest what might come next.
As a scholar of social movements and media studies, I see an alarming split between the types of content consumed by right-wing reactionaries and left-wing social justice advocates. Given the way media accounts shape public perceptions about protest and define who has recourse to the “legitimate use of violence,” the kinds of content shared within these hyperpartisan media systems play a powerful yet often invisible role in mobilizing white vigilante groups. If social-media companies do not act swiftly to stop calls for violence against protesters, the situation can only get worse.

The rise of riot porn

Since the George Floyd protests, conservative media outlets including Fox News (particularly Tucker Carlson and Sean Hannity), One America News, Glenn Beck’s BlazeTV, and right-wing YouTubers have been covering Black Lives Matter and other left-wing protests daily, specifically highlighting instances of violence, fighting, and property damage. This coverage has come to dominate the right-wing narrative in a new way, flipping the script to suggest that Black protesters—demonstrating because they fear police violence—are themselves a threat to white people.

According to analysis I conducted using MediaCloud, a research tool from MIT and Harvard, right-wing media outlets wrote five to six times more articles about Seattle’s “Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone” than did center or left media. What has been a minor storyline among left-wing audiences has been dramatically overemphasized by right-wing media because these protests provided plenty of visceral content for online content creators.
These narratives have been intensified and supplemented by the work of right-wing adversarial media-makers like Elijah Schaffer and Andy Ngo, who collect videos of conflict at public protests and recirculate them to their online audiences. Both have even gone “undercover” by posing as protesters to capture footage for their channels, seeking to name and shame those marching. Their videos are edited, decontextualized, and shared among audiences hungry for a new fix of “riot porn,” which instantly goes viral across the right-wing media ecosystem with the aid of influential pundits and politicians, including President Donald Trump. The footage has a hypnotic, almost balletic quality, designed to influence and overwhelm the sense-making capacity of watchers consuming it from a safe distance online.

Riot porn is different from videos of abuse and violence carried out by police, and we should not confuse one for the other. In the recording of the George Floyd murder, the video mobilized hundreds of thousands of people outraged that Floyd’s killer had not been arrested. With riot porn, what moves someone from watching to showing up is the potential for participating in a violent altercation. The motivating factor is the hope to live out fantasies of taking justice into their own hands, à la Dirty Harry, the film series about a rogue cop who shirks protocol and murders at will.

Outrage contagion is why the McCloskeys, the husband-and-wife duo who pointed guns at Black Lives Matter marchers in St. Louis, were motivated to take their bizarre stand.
And it’s not just that social-media platforms don’t know what to do with white vigilante organizing. Although they clearly don’t: Facebook’s attempt to limit the spread of propaganda about Rittenhouse by blocking searches on his name is a drastic solution to a problem of its own making. Facebook took no action on 455 flags marking the Kenosha Guard’s event page as potentially dangerous. Memes in support of Rittenhouse and calls for armed MAGA rallies are on the rise.
It’s been almost three months since an independent group of United Nations experts called on the US government to conduct an independent investigation into racial terror. The reaction to the murder of George Floyd suggested for a moment that the US public was awakened to their country’s horrors and might be mobilized to do something.
And yet, as the events of the last week have shown, wave after wave of white vigilante violence has followed. Several cities and towns have become treacherous terrain, where militias, MAGA groups, and conspiracists are carrying out their civil war fantasies by attacking Black Lives Matter protesters as police look on.
....a member of the far-right group Patriot Prayer was murdered, but no details on the shooter are available. Nevertheless, the media narrative on the right is clear: antifa must have done it.
....Social-media companies need to work actively to prevent militias and vigilante groups from staging these armed standoffs. This includes shutting down event pages that are used as central organizing hubs and removing the accounts of those who are calling for physical violence. What played out in Portland and Kenosha this week is another confirmation that racial terror is real and getting worse.
https://archive.is/29wcK

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

MarcusAu wrote: It's people like you that are blind to deaf culture. You just don't hear what they're saying.
And I love you, too.

So, what shall we do about the Novichok? "Merkel urged to act" and "Merkel has the Mettle to Stare Down Putin" say the headlines in The Times. But what can or should she do?

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

screwtape wrote:
MarcusAu wrote: It's people like you that are blind to deaf culture. You just don't hear what they're saying.
And I love you, too.

So, what shall we do about the Novichok? "Merkel urged to act" and "Merkel has the Mettle to Stare Down Putin" say the headlines in The Times. But what can or should she do?
I'd be sending Tony Abbott to shirtfront him again.

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

Justice served quickly, although I expect the escalation between Antifa and Patriot Prayer/Proud Boys in Portland will yield more gun violence this month.

https://nypost.com/2020/09/04/suspected ... al-agents/

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

screwtape wrote: And I love you, too.

Notwithstanding...any possible sarcasm, I would hope that any affection and/or regard I have for yourself is apparent in a less visceral and emotionally dramatic way.

As to Novichok - I would propose:
- vigorous discussion in several of the online fora.
- a stiffly worded letter to the editor. Perhaps more than one. Editors or letters - take your pick.
- musical theatre -although "How do we solve a problem like Novichok?" doesn't scan well to my ear.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Watching Quantum of Solace on Netflix, realizing that I don't really enjoy the Daniel Craig version of JB. He's not as casually deadly as Connery and not at all funny, like Moore. I can't remember the exact quote, but was something like "Connery would kill you with a laugh and Moore would have you laughing while he killed you." Or something. Craig plays it like a Robot. Seriously, the man's Bond is not cinematic. Every time there's another Bond, they say he's like the original hardcore Bond of the books, but it ends up being lukewarm on screen. I felt the same way about Brosnan. Bring on the black lesbian Bond, something, or something -- anything -- new.

ThreeFlangedJavis

jugheadnaut wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:59 pm
Justice served quickly, although I expect the escalation between Antifa and Patriot Prayer/Proud Boys in Portland will yield more gun violence this month.

https://nypost.com/2020/09/04/suspected ... al-agents/
Prouds Boys have probably made a big fat dent in Trump's electoral chances. Anyone having wet dreams about sniveling Antifa children having their rears handed to them might like to pause and consider that the Proud Boys going into Portland is exactly what Antifa (and Democrats) want them to do. One of Antifa's prime objectives is to provoke reactions. That's one of the reasons the mob are encouraged to chant vile and seemingly senseless accusations at their opposition. The media will report the reaction, not the prolonged, extreme provocation. Biden is already coming out swinging now, blaming the violence on Trump. The irony of the divisiveness of the language he used will escape his fans. Biden, like most of his party, have created the divisions in society by jumping onto controversial, racially charged events with inflammatory language before waiting for a full picture of what actually happened. They are openly inflaming violence while pretending they aren't, and the sad thing is that public immersed in the MSM bubble don't see what is happening.

John D

Post by John D »

OMG! This is fantastic.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Hunt wrote: Watching Quantum of Solace on Netflix, realizing that I don't really enjoy the Daniel Craig version of JB. He's not as casually deadly as Connery and not at all funny, like Moore. I can't remember the exact quote, but was something like "Connery would kill you with a laugh and Moore would have you laughing while he killed you." Or something. Craig plays it like a Robot. Seriously, the man's Bond is not cinematic. Every time there's another Bond, they say he's like the original hardcore Bond of the books, but it ends up being lukewarm on screen. I felt the same way about Brosnan. Bring on the black lesbian Bond, something, or something -- anything -- new.
Have you watched any of the Roger Moore Bond's recently? Perhaps it's just nostalgia degrading those memories - because no one seems to consider those films as their favourites.

There's plenty of films that are Bond by another name - Kingsmen comes to mind. Or the Flint or Matt Helm series, or Harry Palmer or 'The Last of the Secret Agents' (if you are an Allen and Rossi fan).

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

MarcusAu wrote:
Hunt wrote: Watching Quantum of Solace on Netflix, realizing that I don't really enjoy the Daniel Craig version of JB. He's not as casually deadly as Connery and not at all funny, like Moore. I can't remember the exact quote, but was something like "Connery would kill you with a laugh and Moore would have you laughing while he killed you." Or something. Craig plays it like a Robot. Seriously, the man's Bond is not cinematic. Every time there's another Bond, they say he's like the original hardcore Bond of the books, but it ends up being lukewarm on screen. I felt the same way about Brosnan. Bring on the black lesbian Bond, something, or something -- anything -- new.
Have you watched any of the Roger Moore Bond's recently? Perhaps it's just nostalgia degrading those memories - because no one seems to consider those films as their favourites.

There's plenty of films that are Bond by another name - Kingsmen comes to mind. Or the Flint or Matt Helm series, or Harry Palmer or 'The Last of the Secret Agents' (if you are an Allen and Rossi fan).
Both the Connery and Moore films were fun, for very different reasons. The Craig films seem more like lessons in psychotherapy, not very fun to watch, and actually sometimes rather upsetting. So I guess they fit the times. It's not that you can't have dark films that are also entertaining, just that the recent Bond movies don't do a very good job of it.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

MarcusAu wrote: Have you watched any of the Roger Moore Bond's recently? Perhaps it's just nostalgia degrading those memories - because no one seems to consider those films as their favourites.
I used to have a Thai roommate, loved Moore, hated Connery. Was very upset that Bond slept with Grace Jones. Racist asshole. The Moore movies were pretty damn corny, I'll give you that.

Keating

Post by Keating »

MarcusAu wrote: Have you watched any of the Roger Moore Bond's recently? Perhaps it's just nostalgia degrading those memories - because no one seems to consider those films as their favourites.
The Spy Who Love Me is my favourite, and best, Bond. Craig is awful. Dalton was good at doing what Craig is supposed to be good at, and The Living Daylights is a close second favourite. I'll rewatch Moore, Dalton or Brosnan films at any time, Connery if I'm in the mood, but Craig's seem like hard work. Skyfall being the only one remotely rewatchable.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote: Biden, like most of his party, have created the divisions in society by jumping onto controversial, racially charged events with inflammatory language before waiting for a full picture of what actually happened. They are openly inflaming violence while pretending they aren't, and the sad thing is that public immersed in the MSM bubble don't see what is happening.
If we were to rely only on Biden's words, to know what's going on-- we would conclude that Charlottesville tiki-torch white supremacists are systematically, institutionally pervasive in every police department, nationwide. Dogwhistles from Donald Trump ((Putin)) activate them to shoot 100 million unarmed blacks in the back, every year, using AK-eleventyseven machine guns with hundred-round clips.

And legions of jim-crow time travellers in MAGA hats are burning midnight crosses, terrorizing urban areas, and refusing to wear covid masks.

And the solution is simple: more empathy. No malarky. the Green New Deal. And play the record player for your kids at night.

You might be right: enough of the public might go-along with that story, to elect him.

=

I'm halfway-thru watching Biden's Kenosha appearance. I paused it at 34m03s: Biden saying it's harder for Blacks to get an entrepreneurial small business loan and "all the studies show they're just as qualified to be able to succeed as anyone else is". Sure they are, Joe. Before that 32m08s, "anyone who gets convicted of... drug consumption... they should go to mandatory rehabilitation. Mandatory! They gotta go! To mandatory rehab." "But it's not part of their record when they get out." 33m13s "No one should have to pay more than 30% of their income on housing, including people on the street." :roll:
https://youtu.be/Qo_DWlCctGk

And why isn't chocolate milk available everywhere, like white milk?

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Service Dog wrote: And why isn't chocolate milk available everywhere, like white milk?
No doubt it ought to be, according to Dolezal 2.0:
A White professor says she has been pretending to be Black for her entire professional career

It seems she was rather good at it, maybe even better than the actual African Studies professors of colour.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Keating wrote: The Spy Who Love Me is my favourite...
Now you're sounding like Hunt's Thai roommate.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

The arresting cop is a pussy. The mayor barked at him like a junior high football coach, and he couldn't take it.
Like the mayor said, "unfit to be a cop".

Reminds me of a pro-wrestling story. A white wrestling promoter was recently accused of using racist slurs in the 80's. A giant black wrestler said he called him a nigger a few times, when he first hired him. But he didn't think the promoter was racist. Because the promoter he him & apologized for the insult & said he had to see if he would keep his cool-- when thousands of southern white wrestling fans were shouting and throwing shit at him.

=
The cops say they pulled that car over for tinted windows and loud muffler violation. Then searched the car & found a small amount of marijuana. Seems likely that their actual crime was out-of-state plates & the cops were seeking petty revenue with chickenshit fines. Or maybe big revenue with property forfeiture. In which case, fuck that Dukes of Hazzard shit. Go do some real work.

Driftless

Post by Driftless »

Service Dog wrote:
The arresting cop is a pussy. The mayor barked at him like a junior high football coach, and he couldn't take it.

Reminds me of a pro-wrestling story. A white wrestling promoter was recently accused of using racist slurs in the 80's. A giant black wrestler said he called him a nigger a few times, when he first hired him. But he didn't think the promoter was racist. Because the promoter he him & apologized for the insult & said he had to see if he would keep his cool-- when thousands of southern white wrestling fans were shouting and throwing shit at him.

=
The cops say they pulled that car over for tinted windows and loud muffler violation. Then searched the car & found a small amount of marijuana. Seems likely that their actual crime was out-of-state plates & the cops were seeking petty revenue with chickenshit fines. Or maybe big revenue with property forfeiture. In which case, fuck that Dukes of Hazzard shit. Go do some real work.
There's money in asset forfeiture in Minnesota. Those cops may have been raising revenue:

https://ij.org/pfp-state-pages/pfp-minnesota/

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Keating wrote:
The Spy Who Love Me is my favourite, and best, Bond. Craig is awful. Dalton was good at doing what Craig is supposed to be good at, and The Living Daylights is a close second favourite. I'll rewatch Moore, Dalton or Brosnan films at any time, Connery if I'm in the mood, but Craig's seem like hard work. Skyfall being the only one remotely rewatchable.
Wait a minute. You're Aussie (unless I've been misled). Aren't we forgetting someone, hmmmm?

ThreeFlangedJavis

Service Dog wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:09 am

=
They could have been funding their new gym, true, but I have a different perspective on the arrest. It isn't so much that he was insulting them, it was his refusal to move to the side of the road that justified their action. They can rightly argue that it is their responsibility to maintain public safety at the scene and he was unnecessarily encroaching on the highway. Whatever views he had on the stop could have been expressed from further back. They really didn't need the complication of having to worry about his proximity while attending to their job.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

And now for something completely different...

The thread is a riot - sightings of people climbing mountains in three-piece suits/ball gowns, gangs of tourists swarming up the lower slopes of Everest wearing shorts and flip-flops and, in the spirit of the OP, muppets complaining about the lack of facilities (bars, toilets, train tracks) upon mountain tops.

Really cheered me up!

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Starts in 4 hours...
The Nisswa City Council will hold a special city council meeting at 4 p.m. Friday, Sept. 4, at city hall to address the public regarding the incident between Mayor Fred Heidmann and two police officers on Saturday, Aug. 29.

Comments for the city council can be sent to jmax@ci.nisswa.mn.us. The council meeting will be open to the public and will also be livestreamed on YouTube at “City of Nisswa, MN."
https://www.brainerddispatch.com/news/g ... e-incident

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Service Dog wrote: Starts in 4 hours...
The Nisswa City Council will hold a special city council meeting at 4 p.m. Friday, Sept. 4, at city hall to address the public regarding the incident between Mayor Fred Heidmann and two police officers on Saturday, Aug. 29.

Comments for the city council can be sent to jmax@ci.nisswa.mn.us. The council meeting will be open to the public and will also be livestreamed on YouTube at “City of Nisswa, MN."
https://www.brainerddispatch.com/news/g ... e-incident
Cheers, Dog - I'll be watching this bad-boy!

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Additional to last: this is the YT channel that will host the live-stream:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtEpns ... ah__nmOC6A

Whisky & popcorn on standby!

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Bhurzum wrote: Additional to last: this is the YT channel that will host the live-stream:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtEpns ... ah__nmOC6A

Whisky & popcorn on standby!
OOPS--- Central Time Zone. Starts in 4 hours 45minutes.

John D

Post by John D »

Holy shit. This song got to me so hard today.

Got me thinking about my damaged relationship with my kid. So strange... I have never felt this heartbroken. This song really snapped me into a realization. I just want the best for her. I'm still her dad. She was such a Daddy's girl when she was young. God... we had fun. She was so great when she was young. Funny, kind, and curious. Now she can't even exist with me in honest disagreement. I know she is struggling with her ADD and getting work. She is running out of money. She wants to become an independent therapist... but I don't think she will be able to make this work. She is too easily distracted and not organized enough to make an independent business work.

Anyway. I have been trying to play this song and I can do it if I don't think about the meaning. As soon as I start to sing and play it with emotion I get broken up and start crying. haha. I'll keep working on it.