That's All Folks

News Flash: Justicar Joins FfTB

Post by John Greg »

A link, a link, my country for a link:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... ment-95897

AndrewV69

Re: News Flash: Justicar Joins FfTB

Post by AndrewV69 »

Justicar, is apparently having a hissy fit over the initial mission statement which apparently was subsequently changed to refer to porcupines.

By his standards, I can see why his knickers are twisted, and his panties are in a bunch right now. Will he eventually calm down? That is not a question I can answer.

See : https://twitter.com/#!/skepteaser

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Do you think he (or the others on those tweets) really does not understand we are talking about self-editing, as opposed to adminstrative, censorious editing?

Is he that blinkered through his anger?

Sometimes Justi is exactly like that really, really raging angry child throwing a force five foot stamping temper tantrum, screaming No No No I Hate You I Hate You I Hate You!!1!

Stab him in his back? Really?

Justi, If you had read the entire editing discussion, you know, you fucking know, we were talking about self-editing and were concerned about the potential abuse that could occur if someone self-edited their post to create a false historical revision of what they had earlier said. We were not talking about administrative editing of a poster's post or a commenter's comment. You know this, you shit, you fucking know this.

Siding with the other side to attempt to prove your point is pure Laden, and you will only hurt yourself in the end. Is that your plan now? To adopt FfTB tactics, and fabricate misrepresentations of what we say here and post them to FfTB? To search for any dark and dirty bit of invective, or indecision, or minor hypocrisy, and inflate it into some atomic warhead of dysfunction? How sad, Justi. How sad.

franc

Post by franc »

AndrewV69 wrote:Justicar, is apparently having a hissy fit over the initial mission statement which apparently was subsequently changed to refer to porcupines.
Just curious. Is Justi short? It would add to the indignant sitcom fag stereotype. This is his version of "moving on". He's stopped his last 48 hour tantrum about cunt kick; he's now hyperventilating about John Greg and post editing? There is no end to any of this, there will always be something for Justi to stamp his feet and hold his breath about. My 3yo nephew has better self-control and self-restraint. Possibly even maturity.

Justi is unhinged - completely. Hypocrite and attention whore. He spent the last two days ranting about cunt kick and how I ALWAYS BRING IT UP, because I DON'T CARE ABOUT ABBIE. Who was regurgitating it right up until the last gasp and thread closure at ERV? Not me. Justi.

And he thinks I am deranged and dangerous. I wouldn't feel comfortable on the same continent, let alone the same city, as Justi. His screws aren't just loose - they've all rattled free.

franc

Post by franc »

And Lsuoma, for everyone's sake, set the timer for post editing to something small enough to allow for errata, but not revisionism. Or you'll never hear the end of it. Justi is Terminator when he gets some kind of new obsessive idiocy into his head.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

franc wrote:And Lsuoma, for everyone's sake, set the timer for post editing to something small enough to allow for errata, but not revisionism. Or you'll never hear the end of it. Justi is Terminator when he gets some kind of new obsessive idiocy into his head.
Personally I think Justicar jumped the gun, but it is a serious issue for me.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... ment-95951
AndrewV69 says:
July 5, 2012 at 1:50 am
Justicar says:
July 4, 2012 at 7:03 pm

I just want it publicly known that I am quite deliberately not part of that place.
It had occurred to me that you had not shown up and I was wondering why.

In any event, the edit issue is a serious one. I had expected it to be turned off. Leaving it on, while convenient to fix punctuation etc. lays every single article and comment open to integrity questions. I believe this is a bad idea.

If it remains on, I fail to see how I can stay there.

franc

Post by franc »

Justicar: integrity questions
I so rarely do this, but

LOL!

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Of course, I may have jumped the gun also.

Foot in the mouth disease is not necessiarily out of the question either.

If the time is reasonably short that may not be so bad. I would encourage you to turn it off completely however, because we have a preview function, yes?

Really though, I am feeling quite quesy about post editing, no matter how short the duration.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

franc wrote:
Justicar: integrity questions
I so rarely do this, but

LOL!
Explain please, I am not getting it.

franc

Post by franc »

I have no problem with off at all - I want stuff set in concrete and undiddlable. just most folks often have that, 'damn, forgot that", or "that is not how I wanted it to sound" feeling the millisecond after they hit post. Aside from everything else, it saves on multiple posts where one will suffice. But if there is to be quibbling - I prefer just plain disabled and no more argument.
Explain please, I am not getting it.
just justi and his pedestal of "integrity". He who constantly yells at others' crimes in a loud indignant shriek, whilst doing exactly the same thing in the same post himself. He is blind to his own behaviour, yet demands absolute conformity to his demands from others. He is our Becky.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

franc wrote: He is our Becky.
LOL. Whatever the respective merits of your arguments are. That made me laugh.

franc

Post by franc »

AndrewV69 wrote:
You have not been the dog he kicks whenever he chips a fingernail for a year. I have. Glad you laughed. It ceased having any amusement value for me a loooooooong time ago.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

franc wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:
You have not been the dog he kicks whenever he chips a fingernail for a year. I have. Glad you laughed. It ceased having any amusement value for me a loooooooong time ago.
Well,

One issue is that he will not keep it simple. To wit three points is generally the rule for effective communications. Instead, if he has ten, and sees another ten related issues, then a deluge of test is heading your way. That is just for starters, the followups start incoming before you have managed to write a single line.

whatevahs

Post by whatevahs »

WTF???????! Fine, Justicar was often throwing tantrums and his ego all over people and places, but this is incredible. This is just so incredible, and so extremely sleazy of him.

GrafVonBek

Post by GrafVonBek »

whatevahs wrote:WTF???????! Fine, Justicar was often throwing tantrums and his ego all over people and places, but this is incredible. This is just so incredible, and so extremely sleazy of him.
No, I can't imagine that happening anytime soon. Jesus, this is fucking ridiculous. If the guy doesn't want to post here for whatever reason, fine. If he wants to comment on what he sees happening here, fine. Isn't the whole idea of this to be transparent so that folks can judge for themselves the merits of contrary arguments? The misleading thread title certainly won't help. Maybe I'm being naive but all the shit slinging instead of rational debate is rapidly growing old.

decius

Post by decius »

To be honest, I see Justi's point about that unfortunate place-holder. It can be a deal breaker to some and had no place within a revised approach to issues. We must accept that.

Moreover, if it is true that people are deliberately choosing lyrics that are considered - with or without reason - an apology for rape, that would disturb me as well at some level. So, I'm asking, were those lyrics chosen in ignorance of what they represent, or was their again an intent to provoke and push envelopes? I would like to understand the situation completely. Thanks.

Having said that, I think Justi's reaction is over the top and I told him so many times to no avail.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Justi's nose is out of joint, and he's throwing a hissy

SenorBeagle

Post by SenorBeagle »

@ decius

I had a look on your Twitter, where you were talking about it, and one thing Justi said stuck out, to me, like a sore thumb, that's been hit with a mallet somewhere in the region of 17,000 times. Specifically, it was this:
I'm not throwing in with liars. And people who stab me in the back.
Now, I'm not a mindreader (I'd be a lot better off if I was), so I can't pretend to know what he's thinking, and all I can do is give my personal impression of what he said. So... from that, especially the second sentence, he appears to be taking this board, and Lsuoma's admitted cock-up in the choosing of the tagline, really personally.

That's the bit I can't understand, although I suppose it's human nature.

As for the issue of the tagline, that Justi brought up... as decius said we have to accept it wasn't the wisest move to start the board with that tagline, but (and this is important) I can understand why it would be one of the first things to pop into Lsuoma's head when he was building this place. Sure, people have been keeping that meme alive on both sides (but not, as far as I can tell, Franc himself, and mostly Ophelia Benson, actually), so I can completely understand why it was bubbling away in Lsuoma's subconscious when he was building this place.

Further to that, though, the fact is this: we (well, not me, as I only actively started posting after the tagline had changed, not because I disagreed, but because I'm lazy) talked about it, civilly, and objectively, and as a result of as democratic a decision as you can get on a message board, the tagline was changed.

So, I guess I can't understand why there's any point to carrying on complaining about that issue, when that issue is no longer an issue.

It's been dealt with, and it's been dealt with by people talking frankly and openly, without abuse. So, that's a good thing, surely?

Optimus Primate

Post by Optimus Primate »

For the love of goats, the subject line of this thread nearly made me have a heart attack. It's a long road from Justicar is pissed as this group to Justicar has fallen to the Dark Side.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

I read the title as comic, but then i'm primed to see the parody and satire in everything. To paraphrase Carlin, life is a ticket to the freakshow, amd i'm here with my notebook writing down the best gags.

Justi obviously is pissed off, ego etc at play, hope he cools down, and comes back to earth.

Parge

Post by Parge »

decius wrote:Moreover, if it is true that people are deliberately choosing lyrics that are considered - with or without reason - an apology for rape, that would disturb me as well at some level.
Seriously? You're giving that red herring a second thought? That issue was covered, and I might add, scoffed at here:

http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... &t=53#p341

It's one thing to reach across the aisle. It's quite another to take seriously the delusional rants of someone actively seeking out something to be offended by. You know decius, it is possible to build bridges without using the bodies of your fellow denizens.

Parge

Post by Parge »

Parge wrote:You know decius, it is possible to build bridges without using the bodies of your fellow denizens.
I retract that. With apologies. I'm not that guy.

Parge

Post by Parge »

Oh, one other thing. If post self-editing is keeping people away, get rid of it. Easy fix.

decius

Post by decius »

Parge, if I gave it a second thought it is only on a statistical basis. What are the odds that one should pick precisely that song over the existing non-controversial trillions? I was simply wondering whether it was deliberate bait or pure chance.
The fact that the objections to the lyrics are quite likely preposterous doesn't answer my question.
Last edited by decius on Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Parge wrote:Oh, one other thing. If post self-editing is keeping people away, get rid of it. Easy fix.
Editing is staying at 15 minutes for the time being. Post deletion is gone, except by mods.

Skepcheck

Post by Skepcheck »

I think it might be better set lower than 15 mins, 1 or 2 mins to correct typos maybe or preferably turned off completely.

Parge

Post by Parge »

decius wrote:What are the odds that one should pick precisely that song over the existing non-controversial trillions?

How many of those trillions of non-controversial songs have "Outside" in the title or as a major lyrical element? That's whittled it down a bit. Now out of those, which would have the chance spring to mind for John Greg when he read the "Take it Outside" banner? It was a play on that line: Take it Outside... but baby, it's cold outside! Statistically speaking, that joke wrote itself.

decius

Post by decius »

Thanks Parge, now I understand. Having not seen it directly, I couldn't make the connection.

Parge

Post by Parge »

No worries, decius. Sorry I got a bit huffy there. I really, really, really hate it when someone unjustly pulls the rape card and can't bear to see others take them seriously when they do. It delegitimizes actual rape allegations and it is a barbaric defamation for the falsely accused. That's my trigger. That's why I'm here. I really need to let my prose cool down before I post it.

decius

Post by decius »

No offence whatsoever taken, don't worry.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

I just wrote a huge reply to decius, and it vanished. So here goes again.

Decius I chose that song because of the resonance between "Take it Outside" and the title and hook of the song: "Baby it's Cold Outside".

The Cracked.com article associating that song as some kind of a rape quest is utterly fucking ludicrous. Crazy. and Zvan's use of it is a red herring the size of Manhattan. It's a song about a couple of lovers who are trapped indoors on a snowy night, and are playfylly playing love and sex games with each other while having some drinks in front of the fire. It's romantic, playful stuff between two adults who fully intending to have fully fun and playful consensual sex with each other because it's fun, they want to, they are adults, and it's a romantic stormy Christmas night.

Anyone who really thinks this song is about rape has some very serious issues with sex, love, romance, adult play, teasing, flirting, and the world.

OptimusPrimate, I am sorry that the headline hit you so hard. I honestly thought that it would be understood to be a parody of sensationalistic, bombastic, yet empty, newpaper headlines of yore.

And if we have to get rid of edit to satisfy some kind of hardcore paranoia about post modification, okay, let's do it.

decius

Post by decius »

Thank you, too, John.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Justicar has these odd bouts of idiocy every now and again.

Don't worry 'bout him. He'll be alright soon enough. He is somewhat more vulnerable to the Baboon virus than the rest of us.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

John Greg wrote:And if we have to get rid of edit to satisfy some kind of hardcore paranoia about post modification, okay, let's do it.
Edit is currently down to two minutes. I can remove entirely, and may choose to do so if a better case be made to me for removing it than keeping it.

I'm not ideologically wedded to having it, plus as mod I can edit anyway ;-)

As has been pointed out there is a preview button here, plus one can save drafts for later.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

BTW: another think Justicar may not like is the fact that at present posts are limited to 60,000 characters...

HelpingHand

Post by HelpingHand »

I would like to put my vote in to increase it back to 15 minutes, if not 30.

My understanding is that the concern over editing capability derives from worry that brain dead, embarassing or mockingly feeble posts will be edited beyond recognition once others have begun to point and laugh. This leaves the ones laughing looking like goobers when the target of the mockery has been rewritten into brilliance. Yes?

I generally see the timeframe for this occuring on a scale measured in hours at the shortest -- far longer than any edit window thus discussed.

The edit button will have value to me when I write, "There house is brown." If I have not caught that during writing, editing and previewing, I am not going to catch it within two minutes of posting. It will be after I pour myself a drink, respond to a work email, and reload the page to see if any new comments have been made. That is when my brain has taken the necessary step back to actually read the post and catch those silly little errors that require fixes.

No biggie either way. I likely won't be threatening to stomp out or kick anybody's ass over this. :)

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

HelpingHand wrote:No biggie either way. I likely won't be threatening to stomp out or kick anybody's ass over this. :)
Ass kicking is the least of the worries here...

HelpingHand

Post by HelpingHand »

Talking about the worst threats of all? Fine, you asked for it...

Lsuoma, the next time you are at a conference, you should get access to a secured green room, sleep in a different hotel and generally be safe!

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

HelpingHand wrote:Talking about the worst threats of all? Fine, you asked for it...

Lsuoma, the next time you are at a conference, you should get access to a secured green room, sleep in a different hotel and generally be safe!
Are you coming on to me???

Help, help! I'm getting hit up for teh sexytiem! OH. MY. FUCKING. GOD! Now he's got a cup of coffee!!!!!!!11!

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Now he's got a cup of coffee!
Ya, but does he have a 4 a.m. Otis elevator to go with it? That's the critical risk factor for level pink threat potential.

Parge

Post by Parge »

I once saw a creepy dude driving one of these down the sidewalk:

http://www.liftforlive.com/wp-content/u ... ft-003.png

He had a percolator on the back and he was trying to lure drunken waifs out of the bars to "sober up... waaay up". What's the world coming to?!?! Guys, don't do that!

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

It's him! It's him! <faints...>

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

So that's why he's not around. The guy is Jeckyl and Hyde. When he's on song he focuses like a laser and lays down a solid chain of logic that's quite impressive. The he suddenly goes off on one and he won't be talked down.

My 2 cents, 5 minutes would be fine as long as there is a recoverable audit trail. If a subsequent commenter feels compromised by an edit they can ask for the original to be reinstated.

EveryMan

Post by EveryMan »

I think Justicar is rad, but he can be a drama queen. Literally.

Hopefully he'll lighten up and join up.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Can I still call his skinny ass JustaCu(rre)nt?

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Yes. Yes you can, here.

And good to see you, Conc.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Hat tip to Lsuoma for all the hard work.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Hi ConcentratedWater. I am glad you are her.

Um, "here".

SenorBeagle

Post by SenorBeagle »

Right then, that moment, right there, is where JG was so glad the edit function exists! :P

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Tail wags the dog is me. This like it put could I, know you, well.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

I wish I could have my previous name in full, but we are apparently limited to 20 character IDs. I've spoken with Stefunny*, and apparently this is exactly what happened in 1930s Germany.

*I have not spoken with Stefunny, and Cod (Peas be upon Him) knows, I hope I never will.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:[W]e are apparently limited to 20 character IDs. I've spoken with Stefunny*, and apparently this is exactly what happened in 1930s Germany.
Too fucking right: I've commented elsewhere that possibly the greatest benefit that the pit will bestow is the prevention of "Victim, Recipient of a Blow to the Secondary Sexual Organs" type of moniker...