Slyme Pit Orgy, Sponsored by Vicky's Bewbs

Old subthreads
jimthepleb

Re: Atheism (less) Child Care

Post by jimthepleb »

Michael K Gray wrote:This revelation that the Women in Skepticism conference is NOT going to have child-care facilities has blown my lid!
I mean, WTF?
Is it an oversight?
Was it planned this way?
Are the organisers selfish lamebrains?
Did they spend money on airfares and speaker's fees in lieu of even basic child-care?
I am truly staggered and stunned that self-professed feminists neglect this vital detail!

They have the audacity to slander Richard Dawkins, (neglecting the fact that he was the first to offer and fund child-care at secular meetings, before that poisonous parasite Beccy-boo-boos (spit) "came up" with the notion and claimed that he did it because of her, the lying cunt).

"We haven't got a grant yet" is the excuse of a clueless sociopath.

Again: WTF?
Obviously a case of Teh Patriachy!
Oppression is a bitch.
And so they hand us yet another stick to beat them with. The lack of foresight is hilarious.

Za-zen

Re: Slyme Pit Orgy, Sponsored by Vicky's Bewbs

Post by Za-zen »

I find the omission of child care arrangements for WISC astounding, especially considering the amount of rhetoric about making conferences more welcoming for women that comes from the blowhards such as Hensley.

I'd love to take a look at the accounts! Watch where the money goes in any outfit and that will tell you about where their priorities lie. I got a hold of the accounts for a church once, and the cash sread was very revealing. Pastor salaries were phenomenal, whereas the investment in any real tangible "good work" was minimal.

So where has all the money gone? That they are now, and i stress, now, going to be grant beging to cover their asses.

cunt

Post by cunt »

I'd love to take a look at the accounts! Watch where the money goes in any outfit and that will tell you about where their priorities lie. I got a hold of the accounts for a church once, and the cash sread was very revealing. Pastor salaries were phenomenal, whereas the investment in any real tangible "good work" was minimal.
I think Justicar did a video on the CFI finances. Some of it's directors get paid $100,000+ per year for less than a months worth of work if I remember rightly.

Michael K Gray

Feminist Fuckup

Post by Michael K Gray »

Za-zen wrote:...That they are now, and i stress, now, going to be grant beging to cover their asses.
Asses? Begging for last minute Child-Care?
Straw ain't that expensive.
Perhaps they need to set up a manger area.
We already have a piccy of the scene somewhere...
(Sorry. That's the Passion of Smudgeface. With FfTBoggers as saints.)
I am imagining a cheesy manger scene.
Bethlehem, 0AD, about teat time.
Enter Unwise men...

Trophy

Post by Trophy »

Well, it seems I have a few pages to plow through. However ...
Zenspace wrote:First, the quotes presented, as stand alone comments, are meaningless. As you have said in many of your own responses - context matters. Both of the statements offered are structured such that they need the context of the surrounding conversation to comprise a coherent statement.
This is a very good point. Context matters. Also, charitable reading or giving people the benefit of the doubt. Here's a prime example of that:

A while ago, PZ posted a video under the concept of The LOLcat phenomenon. This is where it will end up. The video IMO was lame, unfunny, and stupid. PZ thought it was funny. Whatever. But the point is that many of his readers thought the video is sexist and full of rape jokes. They disagreed, called him on it which is all fine. But here is what they did not do: they did not accuse PZ of being a sexist bully, someone who thinks it is all right to abuse people in need. They did not attack his character, they did not label him, and they did not write blog posts after blog posts complaining about PZ's rape jokes. They gave him charitable reading, and accepted that as a small mistake but at the same time, they kept big picture in mind in which PZ is their ally.

When it came to Shermer, as well as many others, they did not do the same thing. When Ophelia posted an old card of Mark Zuckerberg, nobody mentioned that many Makr Zuckerberg has changed. Nobody assumed perhaps that was just a mistake. The pattern is very clear: if you are not one of them, they will not offer you charitable reading, and any mistake will be interpretted as exposing your racist inner self.

cunt

Post by cunt »

Well it's in may so they have plenty of time to arrange it. Also plenty of time for Watson, Greta, Ophelia, Svan etc. to make a principled stand over the issue.

Of course if anyone points this out to them, it'll be because they hate women. I think my heads going to explode.

Richard Dworkins

Post by Richard Dworkins »

Lets be honest, a lot of the SJW types would probably think that women waving their children around might trigger those women who are sterile, pre-operative or unfuckable. Because you know, it's the patriarchy.

surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 »

I see that Ophelia has stated that she is very tired of all the misogyny and how it affects her, because blogging is her livelihood and it just is not possible therefore to turn away from it now. This is a common theme, what with Rebecca and Jennifer and Natalie all referencing the same frustrations. No one should have to put up with this nonsense. Attacking ideas is fine but attacking individuals is not and it obviously is affecting then psychologically. Rebecca once suggested she had doubts about going on because it was affecting the quality of her life. Well fair enough but I would urge anyone who is challenging misogyny - or any prejudice - and who is in the public arena to carry on now, because this has got to stop and the only way to do that is by routinely and actively condemning it now. So do I and unequivocally too

But it might also help if there was more dialogue between those who were only interested in debate and not abuse. Because maybe it would filter out to everyone else. If wishes were horses, I know, but there are some of us who think it is possible to engage without all the drama too. In the meantime, I will give my full support to Ophelia in hoping she can carry on. Now I do not agree with everything she says, but that does not mean that I cannot engage with her as a human being nonetheless. I hope she hangs in there now, and does not allow intimidation to affect her. I know I once said something to her that was serious but I no longer engage like that now. But this continuous onslaught makes me wonder where herself and the others get all their energy from. I wish them all the best now and look forward to the day when everyone in the atheist online community can come together as human beings and not as cyber enemies, like at present but as I always say when I mention this - I will not be holding my breath on that unfortunately

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

welch wrote:
TheMan wrote:
VickyCaramel wrote: As Stephen Fry once said to Lorraine Kelly while trying to convince her to use swear words, "Go on... have a stab at a cunt". Use it and it will have it's meaning changed, it will lose it's power to shock.
Yes..and once that happens we'll need to find another word that has shock value as a replacement.
Shitcock?
Jeremy Hunt?

Richard Dworkins

So how did attempts at your own personal style of olive branch waving go over at Atheism Plus? Do a lot of bridge building or were you treated with contempt?

Richard Dworkins

The above post of mine was aimed at Surreptitious57

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

surreptitious57 wrote:I see that Ophelia has stated that she is very tired of all the misogyny and how it affects her, because blogging is her livelihood and it just is not possible therefore to turn away from it now. This is a common theme, what with Rebecca and Jennifer and Natalie all referencing the same frustrations. No one should have to put up with this nonsense. Attacking ideas is fine but attacking individuals is not and it obviously is affecting then psychologically. Rebecca once suggested she had doubts about going on because it was affecting the quality of her life. Well fair enough but I would urge anyone who is challenging misogyny - or any prejudice - and who is in the public arena to carry on now, because this has got to stop and the only way to do that is by routinely and actively condemning it now. So do I and unequivocally too

But it might also help if there was more dialogue between those who were only interested in debate and not abuse. Because maybe it would filter out to everyone else. If wishes were horses, I know, but there are some of us who think it is possible to engage without all the drama too. In the meantime, I will give my full support to Ophelia in hoping she can carry on. Now I do not agree with everything she says, but that does not mean that I cannot engage with her as a human being nonetheless. I hope she hangs in there now, and does not allow intimidation to affect her. I know I once said something to her that was serious but I no longer engage like that now. But this continuous onslaught makes me wonder where herself and the others get all their energy from. I wish them all the best now and look forward to the day when everyone in the atheist online community can come together as human beings and not as cyber enemies, like at present but as I always say when I mention this - I will not be holding my breath on that unfortunately
I know, i too would like to extend this sentiment to all the charlatans, priests and popes who weary of the constant malicous attacks they suffer, hang in there, you are victims of hatemongers who won't leave you alone to peddle bullshit.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

surreptitious57 wrote:I see that Ophelia has stated that she is very tired of all the misogyny and how it affects her, because blogging is her livelihood and it just is not possible therefore to turn away from it now. This is a common theme, what with Rebecca and Jennifer and Natalie all referencing the same frustrations. No one should have to put up with this nonsense. Attacking ideas is fine but attacking individuals is not and it obviously is affecting then psychologically. Rebecca once suggested she had doubts about going on because it was affecting the quality of her life. Well fair enough but I would urge anyone who is challenging misogyny - or any prejudice - and who is in the public arena to carry on now, because this has got to stop and the only way to do that is by routinely and actively condemning it now. So do I and unequivocally too

Replace some of the terms in:
The settlement of the Czechoslovakian problem, which has now been achieved is, in my view, only the prelude to a larger settlement in which all Europe may find peace. This morning I had another talk with the German Chancellor, Herr Hitler, and here is the paper which bears his name upon it as well as mine. Some of you, perhaps, have already heard what it contains but I would just like to read it to you: ' ... We regard the agreement signed last night and the Anglo-German Naval Agreement as symbolic of the desire of our two peoples never to go to war with one another again.
— Neville Chaimberlain, Heston Aerodrome on 30 September 1938
And you have suspicious57's mewlings.

decius

Post by decius »

surreptitious57 wrote: In the meantime, I will give my full support to Ophelia in hoping she can carry on. Now I do not agree with everything she says, but that does not mean that I cannot engage with her as a human being nonetheless.
Yeah, because she's such a fine specimen thereof, one truly interested in honest engagement.

Do you live in a hermitage?

decius

Post by decius »

Za-zen wrote: I know, i too would like to extend this sentiment to all the charlatans, priests and popes who weary of the constant malicous attacks they suffer, hang in there, you are victims of hatemongers who won't leave you alone to peddle bullshit.
:lol:

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Over at A+, Setar has a new sig:
"The system protects itself with indignation against a challenge to the right of deceit in the service of power, and the very idea of subjecting the ideological system to rational inquiry elicits incomprehension or outrage, though it is often masked in other terms." ~ Noam Chomsky, Necessary Illusions
I'm guessing s/h/it doesn't see how perfectly that quote describes A+, FTB and Skepchick.

http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv17 ... /irony.gif

TheMan

Post by TheMan »

For the Aussies, on ABC Iview you can watch a few interesting programs:

A must watch is All in the Best Possible Taste with Grayson Perry: Grayson is a openly transvestite UK artist who wants to create tapestries depicting contemporary life focusing on the classes (UK). Episode one dealt with the Working Class: Hotted up cars, and footy for the blokes... fake tans and big hair for the chicks. Episode two delt with the Middle classes of which there are two main flavours, the buy in middle class...where it's all about status symbols (Range Rovers..not Bently's) and cultured middle class (eclectic nic naks, Organic market patrons,educated and progressive). Looking forward to next week where he tackles the Aristocrats....should be a hoot. The series so far has been riveying in looking at how the classes function and behave...very telling. Made by the BBC

Also interesting: Ladyboys. This is a program looking at men who fall in love with Thai Ladyboys. The men talk openly about their thoughts and how they see themselves. The young guy who's about to marry a ladyboy makes his future in-laws proud. They've accepted him with open arms...but he hasn't told his parents yet....why not? Next episode will be awesome. The other male featured is a middle aged self confessed dirty old man. When he discovered Ladyboys, apparently quite by surprise, he fell in love. Won't spoil it any further than that but the question of gender identity comes up and the self reflecting internalising is facinating.

http://www.abc.net.au/iview/?WT.srch=1& ... V_iview_au Geo location locks in place for foreigners...but since this is the aussie shift time period all I can say is sucked in....

Also on Radio National last night between 6:30pm and 7pm...podcast not up on website yet, was an interesting talk about online Privacy and making things public. Didn;t catch his whole talk but he was taking the view that making things public is the most helpful way to go on the net and we shouldn't be so paranoid about privacy on the net..when for example...people can work out things about you just by looking at you (approx age, sex, race, class... etc). Will keep an eye out for the link so I can catch the conclusions. He had a compelling POV

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Can somebody with the capabilities screencap @nikephorious' willingness to kneecap people for Benson. First off she doesn't call it out, but offers an alternative! Secondly he later claims to be a lawyer! That is one guy who is obviously thick as fuck, since he seems to be in Scotland, and that one tweet could possibly get him disbarred.

For those who don't know "kneecapping" is where you use a hammer or a weapon to destroy someones kneecap. Most commonly ssociated with punishment beatings in N.Ireland, where it was routinely dished out by paramilitaries to people who fucked with them, or generally who they didn't like.

I'm N.Irish, from the estates, grew up with the violence, knew people who were whacked, was politically involved myself, and would most heartedly welcome this scottish wankers attempt to kneecap me, the bravado of such a middle class wanke! Douchewad.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Za-zen wrote:Can somebody with the capabilities screencap @nikephorious' willingness to kneecap people for Benson.
I could if you gave the url...

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Michael K Gray

Kneecap Knickerphorius

Post by Michael K Gray »

Is this it?
201301122148-Nikephorius-Kneecap2.png
(89.75 KiB) Downloaded 286 times
(The original is 2x that resolution.)

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

That's the one. Good man MKG.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Za-zen wrote:...Secondly he later claims to be a lawyer!
Maybe not:
201301122148-Nikephorius-Lawyer2.png
(111.62 KiB) Downloaded 282 times

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Damn sorry for the misread! Not a lawyer then, just a barrack room one. I blame his urge to kneecap for making me burst into hysterical fits of laughter, and therefore misread his "lawyer" nonsense.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

So he either kneecaps people, or gets the police or his lawyer. Schizophrenic?

Come on Ophelia, you replied to that tweet without disgust! Where's your blog piece!

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Michael K Gray wrote:
Maybe not:
Actually, I must admit that at first I read him as saying that he was a lawyer.
It it that blasted analepsis/prolepsis bugbear happening again where the "I'm a white" appears on line one, and directly beneath it is the text: "lawyer".
The eyes fool you. Just ask Randi or that evil libraratarian Penn Gillette!

jjbinx007

Post by jjbinx007 »

Cunning Punt wrote: What has Michael Shermer got to do with this? How would an awareness of this kind of thing (which I'm sure he already knows goes on) moderate the position he took in his last article?
She keeps writing blog posts about him because she's harassing him hoping he'll write another article about her which will allow her to play the victim card again, while raking in some lovely revenue from all the extra page views her blog'll get.

jimthepleb

Re: Kneecap Knickerphorius

Post by jimthepleb »

Michael K Gray wrote:Is this it?
[spoiler]
201301122148-Nikephorius-Kneecap2.png
[/spoiler]
(The original is 2x that resolution.)
Bah had to create a twitter account to counter that sectarian bullshit....what a class A wanker.

16bitheretic

Post by 16bitheretic »

Michael K Gray wrote:This revelation that the Women in Skepticism conference is NOT going to have child-care facilities has blown my lid!
I mean, WTF?
Is it an oversight?
Was it planned this way?
Did they spend money on airfares and speaker's fees in lieu of even basic child-care?
I am truly staggered and stunned that self-professed feminists neglect this vital detail!

They have the audacity to slander Richard Dawkins, (neglecting the fact that he was the first to offer and fund child-care at secular meetings, before that poisonous parasite Beccy-boo-boos (spit) "came up" with the notion and claimed that he did it because of her, the lying cunt).

Hold on, check your privilege.

Assuming that just because women are attending this conference that they may need childcare services is sexist and misogynistic and a leftover idea of patriarchal oppression. Also many women can't have children and the sight of kids or knowledge that they are in the vicinity might cause a triggering event, because of ableist oppression and/or possible transphobia. It might also cause DEEP RIFTS if there are any womyn there who dislike associating with open "breeders". Furthermore, should childcare services be provided, who shall care for the children? If you staff the kids' area with women then you are furthering the misogyny and might as well be telling them that they should stay barefoot in the kitchen baking and popping out offspring for their men! If you staff the kids' area with men, well we all know from Greg Laden that all men have rape switches, so the likelihood is that they could prey upon the children! So you see, until we have a non-gendered asexual robot who can provide childcare in an offsite underground safe space away from the conference where the kids may induce triggers in attendees, then childcare is not feasible.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Michael K Gray wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:
Maybe not:
Actually, I must admit that at first I read him as saying that he was a lawyer.
It it that blasted analepsis/prolepsis bugbear happening again where the "I'm a white" appears on line one, and directly beneath it is the text: "lawyer".
The eyes fool you. Just ask Randi or that evil libraratarian Penn Gillette!
(Insert anal prolapse gag here)
Two new and complementary words for me today, cheers MKG.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

TedDahlberg wrote:
welch wrote:
TheMan wrote:
VickyCaramel wrote: As Stephen Fry once said to Lorraine Kelly while trying to convince her to use swear words, "Go on... have a stab at a cunt". Use it and it will have it's meaning changed, it will lose it's power to shock.
Yes..and once that happens we'll need to find another word that has shock value as a replacement.
Shitcock?
Jeremy Hunt?
"If I could shit out my cock"?

I also have super-secret connections to B3TA. Tell Peez.

Apples

if PZ had a hammer

Post by Apples »

PZ wrote:I will banhammer you hard.
PZ's 12-year-old-boy-at-the-keyboard thor-fantasy is showing again. Actually .... he will *type-type-type* block your pseudonym at his blog and *tap-tap-tap* put you in his computer dungeon. He can't "hammer" you, and he sure as hell can't banhammer you "hard," probably not even if his dick bumps his laptop. I know I'm not the first to point out that his persona at Pharyngula is an obvious compensation for a feeling of total powerlessness in his off-line life.

Laden is of course a similar case ... (heh heh trying to ban somebody from their own facebook page :D). An internet 'badass' who is a total omega-runt IRL.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

ERV wrote:
deanesmay wrote:OK, so, short summary is, anyone who is skeptical or critical of their position is an ORC, ala Lord of the Ring orcs--not, you know, human or anything.
... Really?

No one has mentioned the new guys BEAUTIFUL ANGELIC HAIR OH MY GOD SO PRETTY YOU LOOK LIKE DAVID GILMOUR WHY DO SO MANY GUYS HERE HAVE LONG PRETTY HAIR?
Old picture of me:

http://s14.beta.photobucket.com/user/Pi ... sort=3&o=0

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Pitchguest wrote:
ERV wrote:
deanesmay wrote:OK, so, short summary is, anyone who is skeptical or critical of their position is an ORC, ala Lord of the Ring orcs--not, you know, human or anything.
... Really?

No one has mentioned the new guys BEAUTIFUL ANGELIC HAIR OH MY GOD SO PRETTY YOU LOOK LIKE DAVID GILMOUR WHY DO SO MANY GUYS HERE HAVE LONG PRETTY HAIR?
Old picture of me:

What did you do to Becca?

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

Pitchguest wrote:
ERV wrote:
... Really?

Old picture of me:

Mmmm bop.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Pitchguest wrote:
ERV wrote:
... Really?

Old picture of me:

u sho is purdy.....
But with those specs you need BLUE hair dammit ;)

Apples

utterly non negotiable

Post by Apples »

Y U R WIPING KASSIANE'S ASS RONG AGAIN?

http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3720
Kassiane wrote: If you're here to preach veganism read this first.

This has happened a few times. And everytime it does, it ends up being a whole steaming pile of angry because generally, the preaching is a bunch of ableist, classist BS (whether you're aware that you're speaking from privilege is irrellevant. I'm getting there).

So. Before you go there, a challenge for you: Make a vegan diet plan that meets my needs in terms of nutrition, caloric density, affordability, and ease of putting shit on a plate to eat it. This is a concrete exercise to get you actively thinking about how to concretely implement what you are saying "everyone should do" rather than just assuming everyone can do it if they try hard enough. Convince me.

Needs are utterly non negotiable, with fuckups being from very unpleasant to fatally catastrophic:

-2500-3000 calories a day
-I don't actually have that large a stomach, so this is a challenge if I'm mainlining lard.
-20g or less carbs a day (and that is pushing it), which means all but 80cal are from fat & protein
-no soy
-I'm a champion at setting things on fire. As in, have exploded safety glass.
-must be able to transport to school & work. on the bus.
-no elaborate prep, as I get confused & then pass out before I eat the food. I already work, do school, spend 4h a day on the bus, and have sequencing difficulties. Can't do it.
-if it's slimy (or stringy. or a particular kind of mushy. banana texture is right out) I can't eat it. I throw up (in my case, potentially fatally catastrophic)
-I live on SSI & student loans.
And the lulz continue from there.

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

This is my last for a week. Spent more time on this than the last one.
Took a little more poetic licence. Might not be as true to the source material.

[youtube]K8ll6poCsjA[/youtube]

TheMan

Post by TheMan »

Mykeru wrote: [spoiler]
TedDahlberg wrote:
welch wrote:
TheMan wrote:
Shitcock?
Jeremy Hunt?
[/spoiler]

[spoiler]"If I could shit out my cock"?[/spoiler]

I also have super-secret connections to B3TA. Tell Peez.
Been meaning to get into the "cunt" debate as I have mixed feelings about how it's used and what it means...probably from my misinformed malformed interpretations or perceptions of the word from my youth.

It's not in that much common use as much other Aussies are making out. I still mix it with the working class and about the only place I hear it these days is maybe at the footy. One guy i know of uses it a lot always directed angrily at the referees and he's always hushed down about it (and usually because "there are kids around") and from the brief chats I've had with him I suspect he has no idea what 'sexist' or 'misogyny' would mean...

I was trying to think of words that still have potency, especially in working class circles, and I think these two words probably have more bite these days than the word 'cunt'.

these are:

Scum and worst thing to be called..... a scab

I'm surprised these haven't been brought up before. These words, especially in working class male circles, carry more curry than the word "cunt". I've been told in the past that "I'd rather be a cunt than a scab"

I'm not sure I can give a good and proper account of these words and if it weren't so late I would give it a try...I'll mull over it a bit more and give it a shot tomorrow.

jjbinx007

Post by jjbinx007 »

Surprised more people haven't commentated on this:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/amilliongod ... -you-keep/
Watch this. I think Atheism Plus is heavily mishandled and it’s pure utilisation of safe zones makes debate and discourse impossible. In addition it takes a very very protectionist attitude to both culture and a purely western attitude towards feminism which is simply not universal or applicable in every situation. However due to the lack of any actual method of discourse there is no way to create active change through it. It is unfortunately a pure academic form of feminism and is unsuitable for punching out gender discrepancies in third world nations. It’s participants have little actual experience in field work and from experience are unwilling to defer to anyone who is outside the sphere of their security nor were they willing to grasp that principles are great if you can afford to have them. I have even spoken out explicitly against their cultural/race aspect of their movement because a lot of it tries to paint culture with a big fuck off brush rather than realising individual nuance.
But let's put that to one side and talk about modesty:
You want to know something funny? At no point has anyone ever thrown themselves at me because of my degrees. It’s always been because of my winning personality and sense of humour.
:dance:

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

setar says:
And what's more, eating is one of the few things I regularly enjoy. I simply cannot deal with telling someone that I literally cannot eat shit (that's what reject foods are to me, shit, universally) and have them throw that back in my face as 'something that can be overcome' or shit like that. No, it can't. Not when the mere smell of foods on the reject list will always make me gag and retch. Nuh uh. Not. Fucking. Happening. If you think it can be overcome then you try sticking your face in the toilet after you take a dump, see if you can 'overcome' that.
Nope you're absolutely right setar no'one has ever 'overcome' the smell of shit, not me as a herdsman, my missus and i both changing thousands of nappies, not the guy in the sewage plant, nor the stoma nurse nor the care assistants that will one day wipe your white privileged arse as you whinge about how oppressed you were by your mother suggesting you 'try something different.'
Setar's desperate effort to fit the A+ mould is truly depressing to watch.

AnonymousCowherd

Post by AnonymousCowherd »

welch wrote:
Guest wrote:Apparently not all threats are equal.

Surprise, surprise, no rebuke from Ophelia.
Well duh, of course it's okay if the threat is from the "proper" people.
That link is coming up as "Sorry, that page doesn't exist" from Twitter. Problem?

windy

Post by windy »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote: So you guys can think all you want about Louis' character in light of his excursion here, but I will stand by what I previously said about him. I don't know, maybe you should have known him for as long as I have (since 2008 AE's AtBC) to get where he's coming from. What some of you might consider pompousness and smug patronizing, I've seen from being on his side of the argument, and it never bothered me at the time. It was efficient against IDists and creationists, and most of all it was entertaining and funny. I still read him like that, even on those issues where we strongly disagree. And I guess maybe that's what's going on with him WRT Myers.
Phil, we don't need you or Louis to explain the use of snark against creationists. Many of us here have a history of posting on similar sites and don't have a problem with it in principle (but the person has to be able to back up their arguments and not simply use smugness as a smokescreen: the jury is still out on Louis's stint here). The problem is, when that snark and mockery -that many of us learned from the same source as Louis!- is directed at the FtB/Skepchick crowd, then it's suddenly considered OMG CYBERSTALKING AND VIBRATING HATRED OF WOMEN!! That's what sticks in the craw of many people about this, I'd warrant.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

rocko this food thread could be worth a dramatic read;) I'm lulzing hard.

cunt

Post by cunt »

Now Setar, there are children in India who'd love those vegetables. Why don't you just give them a try, eh?

Urrggghhh... Well why don't you fucking give them it then, mum. I literally cannot eat your shit reject food.

welch

Post by welch »

HoneyWagon wrote:OMG, this is rich.

Apparently, WISCON is either run by misogynists or the patriarchy is preventing baby-sitting at this con.
Of all conferences, I would have thought THIS one would have childcare.

I guess they don't give a fuck about moms or something.

http://i.imgur.com/nDLJo0k.png

Who is Melody expecting a grant from?????
Anyone that isn't CSI. They sure as fuck aren't spending their money on that shit

Oneiros666

Post by Oneiros666 »

AndrewV69 wrote: Looking at the answer provided by Lewis and the post by Oneiros666 above yours reminds me of the topic of academic mobbing written about by Kenneth Westhues, and his opinions on conflicting modes of discourse, which he labels as modern and postmodern.

*SNIP*

Which to my mind is typical baboon behaviour. Note that I am not saying that Lewis is a typical baboon (not yet anyway).
What the raging cuntfuck are you on about?

You try to equate A+theism and the Slymepit's campaign against them with radical students at universities "mobbing" their professors in the sixties? The hell? And then proceeds to call me a baboon. That's your prerogative, and it's my prerogative to say go suck a donkey's cock.

I have no, I repeat, no intention of taking A+theism plus seriously anymore. I tried to debate them rationally and was treated much the same way as everyone else who has tried: By fucking insanity and cult-behaviour. A+theism and FftB are ruining the good name of atheism that we were finally on the way of creating (i.e. making atheism mainstream). Those fuckers are encouraging the myth that atheism=>communism/radical feminism/etc that the fundies have been scaring the american populace with for over 60 years.

So I say again: Fuck those fuckers to the ground. Hard.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

http://www.twitter.com/Nikephorius
that should work Cowherd.

VickyCaramel

Re: utterly non negotiable

Post by VickyCaramel »

Apples wrote:Y U R WIPING KASSIANE'S ASS RONG AGAIN?

This has happened a few times. And everytime it does, it ends up being a whole steaming pile of angry because generally, the preaching is a bunch of ableist, classist BS (whether you're aware that you're speaking from privilege is irrellevant. I'm getting there).

So. Before you go there, a challenge for you: Make a vegan diet plan that meets my needs in terms of nutrition, caloric density, affordability, and ease of putting shit on a plate to eat it. This is a concrete exercise to get you actively thinking about how to concretely implement what you are saying "everyone should do" rather than just assuming everyone can do it if they try hard enough. Convince me.

Needs are utterly non negotiable, with fuckups being from very unpleasant to fatally catastrophic:

-I don't actually have that large a stomach, so this is a challenge if I'm mainlining lard.
-20g or less carbs a day (and that is pushing it), which means all but 80cal are from fat & protein
-no soy
-no elaborate prep, as I get confused & then pass out before I eat the food. I already work, do school, spend 4h a day on the bus, and have sequencing difficulties. Can't do it.
-if it's slimy (or stringy. or a particular kind of mushy. banana texture is right out) I can't eat it. I throw up (in my case, potentially fatally catastrophic)
Oh but you got to have some sympathy? Isn't this a problem most forums face? Doesn't the slymepit attract vegans coming here preaching?

No? I wonder what it is about that place that attracts raving nutters?

Seeing Mr Kneecapping on twitter and his Scottish Nationalism reminded me of what a friend of mine in the police once told me, where ever there are protests which have the possibility to turn violent, especially when confronting the police, be it anti-capitalist, anti-nazi, anti-hunting... there are always are a hardcore that are the same old faces. But what is really interesting is that some of them just don't give a toss about the cause. Once year they can be marching with the BNP, the next with the anti-nazi league, and after that, smashing up a cafe in Spain with a load of West Ham supporters.

Some people just love agro.

welch

Post by welch »

I mean, WTF?
Is it an oversight?
Was it planned this way?

Nah. That's the excuse of someone who knows they had exactly zero intentions of providing day care saying "we are not going to provide any material support whatsoever. If someone wants to provide the full cost, including set fees, we won't stop them"

They don't want kids there, kids get in the way of their drinking.

I'd have been more impressed had they said "no. This conference isn't particularly kid-friendly, and so the decision was made to not provide on-site day care."

Just be straightforward. You will always piss people off, but at least you're honest.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

AnonymousCowherd wrote:
welch wrote:
Guest wrote:Apparently not all threats are equal.

Surprise, surprise, no rebuke from Ophelia.
Well duh, of course it's okay if the threat is from the "proper" people.
That link is coming up as "Sorry, that page doesn't exist" from Twitter. Problem?
I retweeted it and that is gone. I guess they caught on.

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

Just woke up, so time for a catchup post:
Michael J wrote: (post 1227)What is hard for me is that in Australia cunt can be a term of affection as in "How 'r' ya goin' you old cunt"
Yeah, that's another problem with insults - the same set of squiggles can mean something totally different based on where in the world you are. See also: "fag" in the UK. I also wonder what they would think of "niggardly". Maybe someone should ask them :lol:
pandora wrote:(post 1232) No-one thinks of it in gendered terms.
Intent is not magic! Intent is not magic! INTENT IS NOT MAGIC!!!!! (what a cheap cop-out)
Shitar wrote:(quoted in 1235)not to mention, 'princess' is infantilizing as fuck, it's generally used to dismiss women's concerns. and that's getting a massive side-eye from me =/
Putting aside the fact that it seems like recursive prophet really did accidentally misread "Sun Countess" as "Sun Princess", how is "princess" infantalizing? If anything, it's the opposite - a princess is royalty. I guess boxcutter bob finally ran out of shit to be offended by, so now he has to make something up.
surreptitious57 wrote:(post 1268)I see that Ophelia has stated that she is very tired of all the misogyny and how it affects her, because blogging is her livelihood and it just is not possible therefore to turn away from it now. This is a common theme, what with Rebecca and Jennifer and Natalie all referencing the same frustrations. No one should have to put up with this nonsense. Attacking ideas is fine but attacking individuals is not and it obviously is affecting then psychologically. Rebecca once suggested she had doubts about going on because it was affecting the quality of her life. Well fair enough but I would urge anyone who is challenging misogyny - or any prejudice - and who is in the public arena to carry on now, because this has got to stop and the only way to do that is by routinely and actively condemning it now. So do I and unequivocally too

You may or may not have seen my post about Ophelia earlier in this thread, wherein I accused her of e-begging for pity. It was really...well, harsh. But if she changed her tune, and starting posting about stuff that actually matters, without intentionally creating drama, I'd do a complete 180. But I'm not holding my breath either.

@rocko2466: even better than the last! I wonder how long it will be until FTB/A+ takes notice?

jjbinx007

Post by jjbinx007 »

Tigzy wrote:http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic ... 600#p65222

I'm pointing to the hidden smiley. The hidden smiley which is animated to show it presenting a bunch of flowers. What got me was the apparent reason as to why it was 'spoilered':
Motion/Flowers allergy trigger alert.
For a fuckin smiley??
http://talkrational.org/mysmiliesvb/mysmilie_148.gif

I've reproduced it here without a trigger warning in the hopes that the combined motion and virtual pollen emanating from the screen will trigger a violent asthma/epilepsy attack and kill the baboon lurkers.

welch

Post by welch »

jjbinx007 wrote:Surprised more people haven't commentated on this:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/amilliongod ... -you-keep/
Watch this. I think Atheism Plus is heavily mishandled and it’s pure utilisation of safe zones makes debate and discourse impossible. In addition it takes a very very protectionist attitude to both culture and a purely western attitude towards feminism which is simply not universal or applicable in every situation. However due to the lack of any actual method of discourse there is no way to create active change through it. It is unfortunately a pure academic form of feminism and is unsuitable for punching out gender discrepancies in third world nations. It’s participants have little actual experience in field work and from experience are unwilling to defer to anyone who is outside the sphere of their security nor were they willing to grasp that principles are great if you can afford to have them. I have even spoken out explicitly against their cultural/race aspect of their movement because a lot of it tries to paint culture with a big fuck off brush rather than realising individual nuance.
But let's put that to one side and talk about modesty:
You want to know something funny? At no point has anyone ever thrown themselves at me because of my degrees. It’s always been because of my winning personality and sense of humour.
:dance:

I kind of did comment on it. Right there.

AnonymousCowherd

Post by AnonymousCowherd »

-no soy
Excellent. No carbs, because you wouldn't want to get fat(ter) on your 3000 cal/day, which you so need to lead the exhausting life of a student. At least you don't seem to have any need for boring stuff like vitamins, minerals yada yada.

Mainlining lard alternative? - chug a nice half litre bot of olive oil instead (4000 cal) or, better still, rape seed oil (why give in to hipster pretension now?). It's still fat, but you may be able to "negotiate" about five minutes more life from your clogged arteries. Do arteries negotiate?

Clearly, someone's Mumsy didn't make her litte Pooh-pooh eat his broccoli.

jjbinx007

Post by jjbinx007 »

Apples wrote:
Kassiane wrote: -I'm a champion at setting things on fire. As in, have exploded safety glass.
OMG that is a thread that keeps on giving - I haven't laughed so hard all week :lol:

Apples

some A-plussers are a little more plus than others

Post by Apples »

What is socialism and how would it work?
http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic ... &start=100

In which the A-plussers discuss how they are going to overthrow capitalism, turn all corporations into worker-owned co-ops, and abolish manager/employee hierarchies. If you have any doubts about the feasibility of this scheme, Setar and Ceepolk will re-educate -- I mean enlighten -- you.

Which dovetails nicely with Setar's explanation, in the catastrophic Mods thread, of the super seekrit forums (A+Stasi meets the Viper Room's VIP area).

http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic ... start=1625
Setar wrote:... and to continue with that analogy, having a 'secret forum' is like having a few friends, some who happen to be police, over at your house for drinks every Friday night and talking about stuff. some of that stuff might have to do with potential crimes or suspicions. ...

... honestly this seems to me like a similar line as to when society gets all up in arms over, say, Miley Cyrus or Micheal Phelps taking bong hits because they're "role models". yeah, and they also have private lives. you don't get to police their private lives just because they're famous and people look up to them for their achievements in one small part of their life that has been brought out of 'private' because of what they achieved =/

welch

Post by welch »

AnonymousCowherd wrote:

-no soy
Excellent. No carbs, because you wouldn't want to get fat(ter) on your 3000 cal/day, which you so need to lead the exhausting life of a student. At least you don't seem to have any need for boring stuff like vitamins, minerals yada yada.

Mainlining lard alternative? - chug a nice half litre bot of olive oil instead (4000 cal) or, better still, rape seed oil (why give in to hipster pretension now?). It's still fat, but you may be able to "negotiate" about five minutes more life from your clogged arteries. Do arteries negotiate?

I'd ask if kassiepane could whine more, but I already know the answer. I actually am allergic to about four foods. Not a peanut kind of allergy, where I'm instantly reactive to minuscule amount, but eating them is a very bad idea. So when I see them on my plate, I just nudge them off to one side and go on with my eating. I see no need to yell at whomever put them there. If I had a sever peanut allergy, and I was going to someone's house for dinner, I'd let them know ahead of time. If my allergies were going to potentially fuck up the entire program, I'd ask if we could do this another night, or at my place.

In other words, I don't think the entire world needs to cater to my needs more than the amount needed to not actively try to kill me. As it turns out, that's pretty easy.

But then, my parents didn't raise me to think I was the center of the fucking universe. Fucking self-esteem movement.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

AnonymousCowherd wrote:[spoiler]

-no soy
[/spoiler]

Plan B:

[spoiler]http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploa ... e-else.jpg[/spoiler]

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

VickyCaramel wrote:

-no soy
Oh but you got to have some sympathy? Isn't this a problem most forums face? Doesn't the slymepit attract vegans coming here preaching?

No? I wonder what it is about that place that attracts raving nutters?

Seeing Mr Kneecapping on twitter and his Scottish Nationalism reminded me of what a friend of mine in the police once told me, where ever there are protests which have the possibility to turn violent, especially when confronting the police, be it anti-capitalist, anti-nazi, anti-hunting... there are always are a hardcore that are the same old faces. But what is really interesting is that some of them just don't give a toss about the cause. Once year they can be marching with the BNP, the next with the anti-nazi league, and after that, smashing up a cafe in Spain with a load of West Ham supporters.

Some people just love agro.
I love your last line. It's so true. It's what I talk about when I talk about toxic people. They're actively looking for the conflict, and if they can't find it, they'll make it.

There's a bunch of things in the world that piss me off. Gender/Neofeminism, Econ 101 (and supply-side economics in general), Religious Privilege, etc. But Political Veganism/Vegitarianism?

That shit is PERSONAL. Without going too deeply into it, I think it's highly dangerous/destructive. Truth is, for some people that type of diet has very significant health risks, but the Political V/V people downplay that entirely, which is a massive problem because they're the ones that should be doing the proper education. The ideology is more important that people's health and well-being.

That's twisted.

Truth be told, I almost lost my wife because of it. The reality is that she's lost a decade of her life to chronic illness because of it. (She also lost her mother to it). So yeah.

And BTW, I don't understand why people are so shocked about the lack of child care at WISC. I would have expected that, given that it's a conference built around massive amounts of entitlement seeking by middle/upper class individuals who have the resources to make such a trip, and as such probably don't need any sort of support for child-care. They're not really trying to attract local women, I don't think, to come down and join them.