Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
justinvacula

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by justinvacula »

real horrorshow wrote:Well that didn't last:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8012/7700 ... aa00_z.jpg
Apparently, asking why threats weren't reported to the police is 'victim blaming.' Apparently, women who are recipients of "literal threats of rape and murder" should just be passive and not report threats to authorities? Asking why "literal threats of rape and murder" are not reported to police is a damn good question. Wouldn't we expect this if these "literal threats of rape and murder" were so prevalent and such a problem that men from the skeptical/atheist communities are being asked to take a stand against it? Apparently, the police just shouldn't get involved and we should just write strongly-worded letters expressive disapproval...because that's the way to change things.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Just for the fun of it, I thought I'd postsome of the pearls of wisdom that are raining down in Steffunny's latest post where she tries ever-so-hard to prove just exactly how stupid she really is (http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... education/)

Stefunny said:
Convincing people does happen. It may even happen sometimes in online spaces where everyone is very nice and refrains from any naming and shaming in conversation. I don’t know. I see very few of those places. Though they’re often touted as the ideal, they are far more rare than they think they are. The ones I do see have a far more restricted commentariat than we get around these parts.
My emphasis. Round and round and round we go....

stakkalee said:
The ability to intellectualize an argument is another form of privilege. I wish more people would realize that.
Smeh?

TidyBowl said:
Ethos, pathos and logos. Without all three, your argument is hamstrung by design.
In my opinion, the day that TidyBowl actually understands principals of rhetoric is the day the world ends.

smhll said:
The crucial “privilege” that comes into play when discussing social justice issues is the privilege of not being in pain right at the the very beginning of the discussion.
Huh?

ischemgeek said:
All that aside, it’s still his space and it’s his right to create the environment he desires. I do not take issue with his attempt to build the environment he wants at all. I just worry that the environment he says he desires (one that is safe, civil and respectful) and the environment he’s creating (one that feels emotionally repressive on issues are charged by their very nature) are two different things.
LOL.

Improbable Joe said:
Strictly policing the use of heated emotional language used in discussing human social interactions is dehumanizing, in that it treats the discussion like some sort of abstract philosophical word game with little actual meaning. By contrast, the use of emotional language including insults, including calling people assholes, is ultimately humanizing. It says “I am a person, and you’re a person, and you’re being a bad person by hurting me, by minimizing me, by attacking me or trying to muzzle me.” Especially for people who are marginalized by society, it is important to be able to stand up and call out people when they are being assholes.
/scratches head

The entertainment never really ends.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

LOL. I forgot my emphasiseses:

The ones I do see have a far more restricted commentariat than we get around these parts.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

John Greg wrote: /scratches head

The descent into pomo never stops...

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

E-READER THINGIE--

Apparently I have Lexcycle Stanza (Mac)-- It will pretty much open anything and it will export the file as pretty much anything.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Lsuoma wrote:
John Greg wrote: /scratches head

The descent into pomo never stops...
Someone somewhere - I forget which post mentioned it, sorry - said that there were two FftB parody sites. I know the Freethoughtblahgs one. Maybe this is the other one. They've been doing a grand parody of a real site that we just can't see. The whole thing is one huge poe!

:pray: :doh: :obscene-birdiered: :teasing-poke:

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

@JohnGreg

And yet, for all their protests, the very people demanding the right to use the word 'asshole' are quite clearly very capable of being assholes without actually having to use such coarse language to demonstrate it.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Ophelia goes for the gold in referring to Gore Vidal and Orwell as :
not a very good novelist, I always thought, but a brilliant essayist. Orwell was the same. Some people just shouldn’t write fiction; it’s odd when they don’t realize it.
My emphasis.

I do not know what to say.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

John Greg wrote:Ophelia goes for the gold in referring to Gore Vidal and Orwell as :
not a very good novelist, I always thought, but a brilliant essayist. Orwell was the same. Some people just shouldn’t write fiction; it’s odd when they don’t realize it.
My emphasis.

It's because Orwell quite clearly describes Orwellia's Ophelia's stock in trade, which she hoped that nobody would notice...

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

It gets worse. She also describes Orwell's fictional works as:
... interesting, but they’re not good. (I would say the same about Aldous Huxley. I frequently try to read him again, and always fail, because the writing is so crude.)
Mindlessness is rampant.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Lsuoma wrote:
John Greg wrote:Ophelia goes for the gold in referring to Gore Vidal and Orwell as :
My emphasis.

It's because Orwell quite clearly describes Orwellia's Ophelia's stock in trade, which she hoped that nobody would notice...
Nonsense. She clearly realized he was writing non-fiction and not fiction. It's all so clear.

sacha

Post by sacha »

Badger3k wrote:
sacha wrote: cheers, Skeeve, gone.
Mighty nice Skeeve you have. Shame if something happened to 'I'm....
hahaha!

Thank the universe for the comma

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Chris Hallquist said:
I see your point about Orwell, though 1984 was a brilliant essay.
Ophelia replied:
Chris, yes – and more of an essay than a novel.
Huh? WTF?

What fucking planet....

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Tigzy said:
"
Not a very good movelist, I always thgought, but a brilliant essayist. Orwell was the same.
Well that's a load of fuckin old bolloocks rith there.
Will it last?

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

My emphasis.

well I couldn't let that pass (fuming):

http://i.imgur.com/aw4Vw.png

Quite beyond the pale, as far as I'm concerned!

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Whoops. Sorry for the typos in the quote quote.

sacha

Post by sacha »

SHHHHH

Don't let the Pit know you use mac! Then I'll have to admit I do too...
ERV wrote:E-READER THINGIE--

Apparently I have Lexcycle Stanza (Mac)-- It will pretty much open anything and it will export the file as pretty much anything.

real horrorshow

Post by real horrorshow »

John Greg wrote:
stakkalee said:
The ability to intellectualize an argument is another form of privilege. I wish more people would realize that.
It was hard to pick one, but that has to be my favourite. The ability to know what you're talking about is cheating, because it gives you an advantage over those who don't. Is this a Poe? Is stakkalee a Pit Crew member in disguise, because this is so close to a piss-take I'm not sure I could spot the difference.

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

Geez, that Svan link above is full of fail.

Also, they're still attacking Fincke over his moderation policy.

http://atheiststoday.com/images/Fincke_comment.jpg

http://atheiststoday.com/images/ImprobJoe_comment1.jpg
http://atheiststoday.com/images/ImprobJoe_comment2.jpg

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

grrr, not "Also"..that was part of something I decided not to post and forgot to edit.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

First day of gross anatomy lab, and one of the students accidentally unleashed a tidal wave of tank fluid on my scrubs by lowering the cadaver tray into the tank too quickly. Every year. It happens every year. I stank so much that the little dogs wanted nothing to do with me until I'd showered and changed clothes.

So dammit I need to laugh and rant at some FfTB stupidity. Here's another "pearl" of disingenuousness from Stefunny's post:
It’s going to be accompanied by a lot of work to change the world more quickly, though. I won’t be leisurely about that. I won’t be unemotional. I won’t hide what it costs me. I will weigh the relative merits of being inclusive and getting things done for any given action as I go.

And nobody gets to tell me that I should stop doing any of that in order to focus on educating the leisure class.
News flash: You are part of the leisured class ... you and all your FfTBuddies who fly all over the planet to attend meetings that serve primarily to provide you with more blog and Twitter fodder. It's not work. You're not working, and your only social justice "activism" is completely self-serving. It's not the fucking Arab Spring. You're not in any danger. You're not even experiencing any discomfort, as far as I can tell. Lying sanctimonious liars. Fuck off.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

real horrorshow wrote:
John Greg wrote:
stakkalee said:
It was hard to pick one, but that has to be my favourite. The ability to know what you're talking about is cheating, because it gives you an advantage over those who don't. Is this a Poe? Is stakkalee a Pit Crew member in disguise, because this is so close to a piss-take I'm not sure I could spot the difference.
The general philosophy these idiots seem to espousing, or at lest moving towards, is very much the paranoid (non-clinical, as is made clear if you read the books) mindset described by Richard Hofstadter in The Paranoid Style in American Politics, in which he describes the Goldwater movement of the early '60s.

The anti-elitism is beginning to burgeon.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

John Greg wrote:Tigzy said:
"
Not a very good movelist, I always thgought, but a brilliant essayist. Orwell was the same.
Well that's a load of fuckin old bolloocks rith there.
Will it last?
If nothing else, then this one opinion serves to show what an utter moron Ophelia Benson is. Sure, she doesn't have to like any of Orwell's novels, but given the esteem and influence of these novels - in particular Animal Farm and Nineteen Eighty-Four - over his essays (though I admit, The Road to Wigan Pier is a standout as an essay, especially in the bleak humour of his description of life in the Brookers' lodging house), she is very, very much mistaken in her assertion that he was a better essayist than novelist.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Tigzy wrote:
My emphasis.

well I couldn't let that pass (fuming):

Ah, it's gone already. Why am I not suprised...

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Tigzy wrote:The Road to Wigan Pier is a standout as an essay, especially in the bleak humour of his description of life in the Brookers' lodging house), she is very, very much mistaken in her assertion that he was a better essayist than novelist.
<pedant>
Hooker, not Brooker...
</pedant>

But otherwise, yes indeed!

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Shit - yes - it was 'Hooker' wasn't it. *thwarted fanboi shameface*

Well...Ophelia got me all steamed up about it, hence the mistake. Yes. That's what happened.

real horrorshow

Post by real horrorshow »

Tigzy wrote:well I couldn't let that pass (fuming):

They're all into lit crit on Skepchick too:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8162/7701 ... 482e_z.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8156/7701 ... ae2eca.jpg
I wonder how he knew I was being unironic? Maybe because what happens to Alex is so enviable that anyone would want to follow in his footsteps? Or is it that his dash round the interwebs looking for stuff on a book he knows fuck-all about didn't include a plot summary?

DaveDodo007

Post by DaveDodo007 »

justinvacula wrote:From Twitter:

http://i.imgur.com/TbMHe.jpg
Sorry about not posting much but ftb are now dead to me. Though on my facebook wall Matt Dillahunty was calling ThunderfOOt a dishonest prick and threatening to start blocking people who disagreed with him. WTF if you behave like a creationist then you are a creationist in my book. :doh:

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

Even after years of dealing with Creationists and anti-vaxers, I dont know what to say to that kind of anti-intellectualism.

"LUL! SEE, CREATIONSTS LUKING DOWN ON SCIENTISTS IZ BAD BUT US LOOKING DOWN ON LITERATURE IS GUD SEE? LULZ!"

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Interestingly, the 'puritan-progressive' types who tend to latch on to the left wing - such as Ophelia, for instance - were busy in Orwell's time, too. So the FC5(6) sort are nothing new. In fact, they're quite quaint*, really. Orwell contemptuously referred to such people as 'bearded fruit-juice drinkers'.

*'quaint' has interesting etymological roots. It was synonymous with 'vulva' in the fourtheenth century. Hence the phonetic similarity to...

RebeccaB

Post by RebeccaB »

My emphasis.

So now she's a literary critic?

Keep the Aspidistra Flying? The Clergyman's Daughter? Two of my favourite novels. As for Gore Vidal, Benson could learn a few things from The Messiah.

I shudder to imagine what she might think of Wells.

sacha

Post by sacha »

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8162/7701 ... 482e_z.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8156/7701 ... ae2eca.jpg
I wonder how he knew I was being unironic? Maybe because what happens to Alex is so enviable that anyone would want to follow in his footsteps? Or is it that his dash round the interwebs looking for stuff on a book he knows fuck-all about didn't include a plot summary?
which Skepchick post is this from?

xjustos

Post by xjustos »

how the divine pen of Michel Nostradamus crushed the international atheist movement

http://dissidentphilosophy.lifediscussi ... bquake-911

for lies on top of lies

do you think you can threaten my right to FREE SPEECH?

what if I told you that I am not who you think I am….

Not Dennis Markuze - but a FAN!

you're not the center of the universe!

a dishonest liar

BEST CLIPS ON ATHEIST:

- JUST A TINY SMIDGEN OF A GAP!

we don't care about the atheist, either!

Post by Guest »

John Greg wrote:It gets worse. She also describes Orwell's fictional works as:
... interesting, but they’re not good. (I would say the same about Aldous Huxley. I frequently try to read him again, and always fail, because the writing is so crude.)
Mindlessness is rampant.
Well, to be fair, the proles read Orwell and Huxley. In public school, even. Which means it is far too pedestrian for real intellectuals to take seriously.

sacha

Post by sacha »

Lsuoma wrote:
sacha wrote:I have AdBlock Plus, smilies are disabled and won't show as an image, but I still have the fucking flashing images!
How to disable gif animations.
Cheers, Lsuoma. I can deal with the emoticons as long as they don't move or flash. I actually like the one with the big eyes that basically stands for WTF (named "shocked"). I don't completely want to remove .gifs, but for me, I suppose it is better than the alternative.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Oh dear. We've gained a wood louse.

sacha

Post by sacha »

xjustos... Hello Mabus!

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

sacha wrote:xjustos... Hello Mabus!
Ah, I heard he was on the loose again. Guess it was just a matter of time before he came here.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Tigzy wrote:
sacha wrote:xjustos... Hello Mabus!
Ah, I heard he was on the loose again. Guess it was just a matter of time before he came here.
Yep. Googling for this finds a lot of hits for posting on Zinnia Jones and a couple of other FfTBlogs, but the comments are no longer there.

The IP address is also listed at stopforumspam.com.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

He's been pestering AXP too. Bad move on his part, considering Martin's prediliction for dobbing people in to the authorities wherever possible: http://freethoughtblogs.com/axp/2012/07 ... -sentence/

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

Haven't seen him in awhile. He hit our forum for a short period

http://atheiststoday.com/forum/viewthre ... ad_id=1263

But he lost interest in us. :(

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

real horrorshow wrote:Well that didn't last:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8012/7700 ... aa00_z.jpg
That "everything is already documented" argument frequently used by the Baboons and Skepchicks is very much a copy of the trick religious people use when they say "well, until you've read the Bible from front to cover, you atheist has no argument".

:hand: :snooty:

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

justinvacula wrote:Apparently, asking why threats weren't reported to the police is 'victim blaming.'
Indeed. But when Osama Greg Laden blamed Justin Griffith for revealing what a bully Laden is, the FfTB crew stayed very quiet on the issue of Laden's "victim blaming"!!!

Horace AKA netnanny

Post by Horace AKA netnanny »

I guess we have finally arrived as a blog if mabus has time to spam us.

Just discovered Korean rap.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

CommanderTuvok wrote:
justinvacula wrote:Apparently, asking why threats weren't reported to the police is 'victim blaming.'
Indeed. But when Osama Greg Laden blamed Justin Griffith for revealing what a bully Laden is, the FfTB crew stayed very quiet on the issue of Laden's "victim blaming"!!!
It was recently said that firing him was enough.

Funny, that is...when DJ Grothe's comments warrant blog posts for weeks, but an actual documented threat/violent letter doesn't even warrant one from -- and correct me if I am wrong -- PZ, Ophelia, Zvan, or Jason.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

If anyone is wondering about Mabus/xjustos being banninated (since he no longer appears as the latest member), I've just forced reactivation for him, not banned him.

There's no reason why I should make it easy for him to spew his shite all over here...

franc

Smilies are for reetards

Post by franc »

Fuck this - .sig updated. Amusing for 2 seconds. Seriously, if you are incapable of nuancing your language to convey meaning without relying on cutesie animated .gifs, you are a fucking reetard.

Nonsense mitigation -

http://i.imgur.com/8iEsB.png

If killing smilies is not sufficient, you can kill BBCode altogether - which is becoming more tempting given that multimedia has stopped being a post enhancement tool and become a mud pie play pit for toddlers that have never seen such MightyTechnology.

franc

Post by franc »

John Greg wrote:
the impact of YOU getting a rape threat is different than a woman getting one
What the fuck does that even mean?
epistemic relativism

http://i.imgur.com/CdWBe.jpg

sacha

Re: Smilies are for reetards

Post by sacha »

Hi, Honey
franc wrote:Fuck this - .sig updated. Amusing for 2 seconds. Seriously, if you are incapable of nuancing your language to convey meaning without relying on cutesie animated .gifs, you are a fucking reetard.

Nonsense mitigation -

http://i.imgur.com/8iEsB.png

If killing smilies is not sufficient, you can kill BBCode altogether - which is becoming more tempting given that multimedia has stopped being a post enhancement tool and become a mud pie play pit for toddlers that have never seen such MightyTechnology.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

franc wrote:Fuck this - .sig updated. Amusing for 2 seconds. Seriously, if you are incapable of nuancing your language to convey meaning without relying on cutesie animated .gifs, you are a fucking reetard.

... chop chop

Hey Franc, do not hold back, you should let us know what you really feel. Now I admit that a certain flashing graphic might have given me a headache, but I have no objection to smilies. None at all.

I may even use them from time to time myself. Muahahaha!

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

I love how Franc gets upset over HTML issues.

:angry-chillpill:

xjustos

Post by xjustos »

do us a favor and search for "martin wagner" on ytube

we fixed about 100 atheists like this

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

I even included one specially for franc, MKGN, and all their compos...

:flags-australia:

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Lsuoma wrote:I even included one specially for franc, MKGN, and all their compos...

:flags-australia:
Fuck that. I want one with:

http://www.mapsofworld.com/images/world ... d-flag.gif

Bob of QF

Re: bloody emoticons!

Post by Bob of QF »

sacha wrote:
Skeeve wrote:
AdBlockPlus will get rid of individual images. I just blocked the above flashing .gif.

All gone, bye bye.
you are my hero, Skeeve. getting AdBlock Plus now.
Nectar: "Um, except maybe when talking with Franc, Sacha or Michael."
thank you, and now more than ever if anyone does not detect my sarcasm without a fucking flashing explanation, I don't bloody care.
Another lovely tool to add to FireFix is Nuke Anything Enhanced.

A simple right-click on anything in your browser's window, and blammo--it's gone. A nice way to get rid of individual items, but you'd rather not block the entire server/domain for.

Also take a look at NoScript ...

Bob of QF

Post by Bob of QF »

sacha wrote:I have AdBlock Plus, smilies are disabled and won't show as an image, but I still have the fucking flashing images!
Try Nuke Anything, an add-on for FireFox

Also, look at NoScript, another add-on.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

xjustos wrote:do us a favor and search for "martin wagner" on ytube

we fixed about 100 atheists like this
By burning? Disembowelment? Dismembering? Reading your fantasies

:angry-screaming:

Post by Guest »

'Tis true. Everyone knows the best way to add nuance to your writings is LOLCats.

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpre ... others.jpg

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Bob of QF wrote:
Try Nuke Anything, an add-on for FireFox

Also, look at NoScript, another add-on.
Also, hitting Esc will freeze all animated GIFs on a page (until it's reloaded).

xjustos

Post by xjustos »

SPEAK N DIE