Old subthreads
UnbelieveSteve

Re: Slyme Pit Orgy, Sponsored by Vicky's Bewbs

Post by UnbelieveSteve »

[spoiler]
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
decius wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Oh, fine, I'll fold!

Not gonna put it in my sig, though...

http://www.napalmrecords.com/product_in ... 328fc87d61
Argghh!
That link requires one to "sign in" before seeing anything of merit. Most unwelcoming, especially for newbies.
Yeah. Phil, you're a tit.
I know, right? Didn't notice that. Go to Amazon, you slackers.

Also, I can't seem to know jackshit about youtube inbedding. Or "preview" buttons, for that matter...[/spoiler]

[youtube]_irSTG6Yowc[/youtube]
Listening to your tracks i can't help but see similarities to Dragonforce. Same genre?
Wicked!

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

Hey, I found another video by that other submarine guy:

[youtube]EuGmopB7Tvo[/youtube]

I subscribed.

Apples

Post by Apples »

Al Stefanelli wrote:Could be she just needs a haircut.
She needs more than a haircut:
Natalie wrote:I need to somehow save $2K for my surgery in the Spring (the surgery is covered, but the hospice stay, dilators, pads, towels and so on aren’t).
http://freethoughtblogs.com/nataliereed ... ouncement/

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Al Stefanelli wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:Please - rethink the Natalie Reed funding. With her recent tweets about hair salon appointments, I'm more than a bit worried about sending her any money. When I was just days away from being out on the street, the last thing I was concerned about was a fucking salon appointment. Be very, very wary.
If she's making hairstyling appts, I agree. Maybe she's not really in as much need as she claimed. Or maybe she's really bad with money.
Could be she just needs a haircut.
She tweeted about a cut and color - in my neighborhood, with my shoulder length hair, *and* going to a cheap place, I'm looking at around $100.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

AbsurdWalls wrote:Well, that just goes to show how little I know about her. I had no idea.
In one of her earlier posts she said something about being a former heroin user or something like that.

Remick

Post by Remick »

Al Stefanelli wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:Please - rethink the Natalie Reed funding. With her recent tweets about hair salon appointments, I'm more than a bit worried about sending her any money. When I was just days away from being out on the street, the last thing I was concerned about was a fucking salon appointment. Be very, very wary.
If she's making hairstyling appts, I agree. Maybe she's not really in as much need as she claimed. Or maybe she's really bad with money.
Also, I think Trans people might have a lot more importance put on their appearance, at least in terms of appearing as the gender they wish to identify with. I really don't think its too unreasonable. Like someone else already pointed out, Natalie hasn't been calling for donations, she just explained why she left the tip jar up as a side note and left it at that.

Also, all this speculation as to why FtB/Skepchicks aren't helping her in reference to negative behavior on Natalie's part are bullshit. Isn't it FAR more likely that she hasn't toed the line they want, so she isn't worthy of help in their eyes. Fuck, these people try to get people fired for less(which could result in someone being homeless). Natalie basically stated that it wasn't the "enemies" of FtB that made her leave, it was FtB. She is now an unperson for that. They've stayed civil for now to not come off like huge hypocrites, but they aren't going to help her.

I am not saying you should donate to Natalie, but please don't base any decision to do so on how her former "allies" are acting.

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

PZed at it again:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ecularism/

Regardless of gender, all respondents who are or have been involved in the secular movement are asked: Have you ever felt unwelcome, discriminated against, or harmed in the secular movement? Women outnumber men 62%/34% in responding “Yes.” It is worth noting that women do not outnumber men when asked the same question about religious organizations with which they’ve been associated. It appears they are less comfortable in secular groups than in the churches they left.
I hate these muli-pronged and vague questions. A better methodology would be to ask each point of the question separately : Have you ever felt unwelcome? Was the source of this unwelcome feeling a) other attendees b) organizers and speakers c)protesters d) other

Asking if you've ever felt sad, abused, or injured doesn't really tell you much as almost everyone has been sad.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

So, my guy is in the hospital (I had to drop him off then come home due to children/school/crap). I won't actually see him again until tomorrow but I'm supposed to get any and all updates by phone.

I'm tired as fuck. Had to be up at 3:30 this morning. It's amazing how many people there are out on the roads at that time! Anyway, if I make zero sense today, at least you'll all know why.

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

(((ReneeHendricks)))

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

franc wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
franc wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Fuck you Hoggle! Buckwheat is delicious (we have some at least once a month, minimum. Mailed to us by Ali's mom since it's very hard to find some where we live).
I know it is. But outside of Europe, it was considered as no good for anything other than livestock feed until the 90's. Then the yuppie cooking shows caught on. We used to live on the stuff.
Well, it's been a staple food in Poland for centuries. I had never tried the stuff before I got in my current relationship. Goes wonderfully with home-made goulash.
I was told that my great grandmother, who lived well past 100, ate kasha (a buckwheat dish with fried onions in it) every day for most of her life. Even during her last days in a home, a relative brought her some every day. Even though that's correlation rather than causation, I think of buckwheat as a very healthy food.
Yes, my folks like that. Seriously, buckwheat was cheaper than 'taters. Cheaper than coal even in th 70's. It was things pigs ate - and those foreigners with funny accents. I do get queasy - boiled ox tongue, white corn flour gravy and buckwheat. Who here ate that ever? And was told to be grateful for it?

This is why I get a bit small "c" cynical with these "charity" drives.
The most tasty way to eat buckwheat is the Polish jewish style "kasha" where it's coated in egg, fried a little til the egg has dry coated the seeds, then cooked with fried onions added at some point too. Lots of recipes online for kasha if, that is, you can ever bear to eat buckwheat again. I don't think it sounds too tasty in that ox tongue dish.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
Jonathan wrote:Over on the A+ Moderator thread of Ceaseless Amusement, we learn that ignoring rude people is tone policing and silences them.

You can't even opt to ignore people over there without getting told off. Ridiculous.
Using that logic any mod who bans a person for whatever reason is tone policing.
And another thing, aren't these the same people who, when we complain of being silenced use the argument that "ONLY DE GOVERNMINT CAN SILENCE YOUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!! U CAN STILL POST ON THE INTERNET SO U IS NOT SILENCED!!!111!!! FREEZE PEACH HAHAHAHAH!!! LOLOLOLOLOL!!"?

Fail.
Well, that makes sense.

Fun fact: Growing up I never heard my parents argue. Maybe now and then one raised their voice in exasperation for about 10 seconds, but my mother is a relentlessly pleasant person and my father is just freaking stoic.

So, when I could hear the neighbors going at it, this was completely outside my experience. To this day I can't quite accept that people will actually stand there and yell at each other.

I've been in relationships with women who actually thought there was something "healthy" and "cathartic" about screaming shit that no one actually means. I refuse to do it.

Just my last relationship the past summer, I knew exactly the point she was done. She was ticked off about something or other and I could see she was gearing up. So I just walked away. Not avoidance. I just hold that if something is important enough to argue about, it can wait until a person can talk to me like an adult.

After that she brought it up a couple times. It was bad. It was wrong. I was denying her something or other. Fuck that.

Funny that the people who are so big on "safe spaces" and "being comfortable" demand that people do the internet version of Private Snow Flake while the forum hard-asses do their impersonation of R. Lee Ermy screaming in their faces.

That some feminists actually argue that a man walking away from some ranting, histrionic tantrum-induced harpy constitutes abuse by him on her, still boggles my fucking mind.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Al Stefanelli wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
I have a hard time seeing that as a need. At least when compared to severe needs like housing, medical costs and food. It's in the eye of the needer though, so I can't really decide that for other people.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

UnbelieveSteve wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
decius wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:

Argghh!
That link requires one to "sign in" before seeing anything of merit. Most unwelcoming, especially for newbies.

Also, I can't seem to know jackshit about youtube inbedding. Or "preview" buttons, for that matter...

Listening to your tracks i can't help but see similarities to Dragonforce. Same genre?
Wicked!
Herman is a friend. We did release our first albums around the same time...
Last edited by Lsuoma on Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Phil Phucked The Tags

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Skeeve wrote:(((ReneeHendricks)))
:) Thanks

birdterrifier

Post by birdterrifier »

AbsurdWalls wrote: There are homeless people I've seen begging on the streets near me with elaborately cut and dyed hair. I never could understand it.
This one old homeless man stepped out in front of me to beg ("sorry, I don't have cash, sorry, sorry") and he had an immaculately maintained black wool coat and I've been perplexed by this ever since. Does he get it dry cleaned? Does he have a back up at night so that he doesn't get the wool one dirty. I could never keep anything so clean as this old homeless man at the county court building.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Scented Nectar wrote: The most tasty way to eat buckwheat is the Polish jewish style "kasha" where it's coated in egg, fried a little til the egg has dry coated the seeds, then cooked with fried onions added at some point too. Lots of recipes online for kasha if, that is, you can ever bear to eat buckwheat again. I don't think it sounds too tasty in that ox tongue dish.

Ok, I'm gonna try that stuff. Ox tongue is a delicacy in my parts, too...

Apples

Post by Apples »

Submariner wrote:Hey, I found another video by that other submarine guy:
He's pretty good - pretty deadpan.

*takes off glasses* "That doesn't even make sense. I'm just *eyebrows knit* - non-plussed. You feminists, you're doing this, and I know why. You put all these words because.... you just don't want submariners' ways of knowing things to be used!"

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

And my answer to Steve looked just fine in preview, too.

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

birdterrifier wrote:
AbsurdWalls wrote: There are homeless people I've seen begging on the streets near me with elaborately cut and dyed hair. I never could understand it.
This one old homeless man stepped out in front of me to beg ("sorry, I don't have cash, sorry, sorry") and he had an immaculately maintained black wool coat and I've been perplexed by this ever since. Does he get it dry cleaned? Does he have a back up at night so that he doesn't get the wool one dirty. I could never keep anything so clean as this old homeless man at the county court building.
Entirely possible he had been handed it earlier on that day.

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

Apples wrote:
Submariner wrote:Hey, I found another video by that other submarine guy:
He's pretty good - pretty deadpan.

*takes off glasses* "That doesn't even make sense. I'm just *eyebrows knit* - non-plussed. You feminists, you're doing this, and I know why. You put all these words because.... you just don't want submariners' ways of knowing things to be used!"

Yeah, some of his older stuff is kinda dry, but it looks like he's improving with experience.

Remick

Post by Remick »

Submariner wrote:PZed at it again:

Regardless of gender, all respondents who are or have been involved in the secular movement are asked: Have you ever felt unwelcome, discriminated against, or harmed in the secular movement? Women outnumber men 62%/34% in responding “Yes.” It is worth noting that women do not outnumber men when asked the same question about religious organizations with which they’ve been associated. It appears they are less comfortable in secular groups than in the churches they left.
I hate these muli-pronged and vague questions. A better methodology would be to ask each point of the question separately : Have you ever felt unwelcome? Was the source of this unwelcome feeling a) other attendees b) organizers and speakers c)protesters d) other

Asking if you've ever felt sad, abused, or injured doesn't really tell you much as almost everyone has been sad.
there are no raw numbers, so basically it doesn't mean shit. I took the survey, they clearly didn't print total yes/no to that question. Ok, so more women said yes then men, but if it is 9% Yes, 91% no, who gives a fuck.

birdterrifier

Post by birdterrifier »

AbsurdWalls wrote:
birdterrifier wrote:
That is is a possibility. Pretty expensive handout though. I guess the Oklahoma economy is pretty good in relation to the rest of the US but wow.

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

Remick wrote:

Snip

there are no raw numbers, so basically it doesn't mean shit. I took the survey, they clearly didn't print total yes/no to that question. Ok, so more women said yes then men, but if it is 9% Yes, 91% no, who gives a fuck.

Another good point. Thanks.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

birdterrifier wrote:
Ahha! How did you know he was going to beg, for all you know it was some lawyer about to ask you directions to the local coffee hole, struck dumb by a strange dude shouting "no cash! No cash," at him.

By the way i thought i told you, you were defrocked of your slyme for flirting with sulky.

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

Za-zen wrote:
birdterrifier wrote:
Ahha! How did you know he was going to beg, for all you know it was some lawyer about to ask you directions to the local coffee hole, struck dumb by a strange dude shouting "no cash! No cash," at him.

By the way i thought i told you, you were defrocked of your slyme for flirting with sulky.
Had no idea there was a frocking/defrocking process.
Thought we were all SlymePopes.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Remick wrote:

Poll question: "Have you ever felt unwelcome, discriminated against, or harmed by P.Z. Meyers?" I would hazard a guess that those within the Secular Community (meaning here) would say yes.

You would think a scientist would know something about self-selected sampling.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Remick wrote:

That's what I thought, too.
Unless they give the complete numbers you have no idea whether you are talking about 62% of women having a problem, compared to 32% of men, or whether you are talking about 0.6% of women compared to 0.3% of men.
This makes an enormous difference to the extent of any 'problem' existing.
If it's 62% then you do something about it.
If it's 0.6% then it is basically background noise with no real difference between male and female response rates. There's no point spending any time dealing with it when there are bound to be higher priorities.
I am not surprised that it was featured on the skepchicks website - they have long since kicked proper skepticism out the window and approach everything with a cynical political eye. Headlines rather than data.
The fact that Peezus chooses to use the skepchicks as a source for this non-story (and remember, without knowing the actual numbers, it is a non-story) is pretty telling of the state of FTB skepticism.
Does anyone remember a few years back when we had a system where skeptic websites would actually follow the scientific method, they would look at the data and apply real meaningful statistics to the numbers presented by some paper or survey.
If one skeptic site made a mistake then they could be expected to get criticised by others. In that way readers would see a kind of peer review in action and see how science is a self-correcting mechanism to get to the facts of any story.

Now of course that time is long past.
Now Rebecca writes some crap and nobody dare criticise it because you are automatically labelled a misogynist rape supporting harrasser of women (or a gender traitor). Not only that but her crap is getting promoted, not only by know-nothing numbskulls like Adam Lee and Greta Christina, but by people who should (and do) know better, like Peezus. He knows that this is a non-story. He knows that the only thing worth writing from a skeptical point of view is a criticism of the study - not an unquestioning acceptance of the 'facts'.
But he is too far gone.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

He commited the cardinal sin of thinking sulky might be a person, he did it on twitter too for all to see. He by definition lost his slyme. It fell from him in a self defrock, and he was left naked, and known.

Trophy

Post by Trophy »

Metalogic42 wrote:First off, @Lsuoma: it may be on my end, but I'm getting some slowdown when I try to navigate the 'pit. How does I fix?

Second, this is spectacular:
Orenda wrote: snip
Hahaha, I think they need a 'safe place' to keep them safe from each other. Hahaha!

debaser71

Post by debaser71 »

I said this a few pages back but regarding that stupid poll/survey whatever...it isn't even established that the people who had bad experiences at conferences had bad experiences at SECULAR conferences. They ask vague questions then apply them to whatever they want. It's 100% bullshit.

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

Mykeru wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:
Jonathan wrote:Over on the A+ Moderator thread of Ceaseless Amusement, we learn that ignoring rude people is tone policing and silences them.

You can't even opt to ignore people over there without getting told off. Ridiculous.
Using that logic any mod who bans a person for whatever reason is tone policing.
And another thing, aren't these the same people who, when we complain of being silenced use the argument that "ONLY DE GOVERNMINT CAN SILENCE YOUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!! U CAN STILL POST ON THE INTERNET SO U IS NOT SILENCED!!!111!!! FREEZE PEACH HAHAHAHAH!!! LOLOLOLOLOL!!"?

Fail.
Well, that makes sense.

Fun fact: Growing up I never heard my parents argue. Maybe now and then one raised their voice in exasperation for about 10 seconds, but my mother is a relentlessly pleasant person and my father is just freaking stoic.

So, when I could hear the neighbors going at it, this was completely outside my experience. To this day I can't quite accept that people will actually stand there and yell at each other.

I've been in relationships with women who actually thought there was something "healthy" and "cathartic" about screaming shit that no one actually means. I refuse to do it.

Just my last relationship the past summer, I knew exactly the point she was done. She was ticked off about something or other and I could see she was gearing up. So I just walked away. Not avoidance. I just hold that if something is important enough to argue about, it can wait until a person can talk to me like an adult.

After that she brought it up a couple times. It was bad. It was wrong. I was denying her something or other. Fuck that.

Funny that the people who are so big on "safe spaces" and "being comfortable" demand that people do the internet version of Private Snow Flake while the forum hard-asses do their impersonation of R. Lee Ermy screaming in their faces.

That some feminists actually argue that a man walking away from some ranting, histrionic tantrum-induced harpy constitutes abuse by him on her, still boggles my fucking mind.
A lot of people, for some reason, think that bottling up one's anger is unhealthy. This is partially true, but the healthy way to deal with anger is to get it resolved, not fly off the handle at someone, as so many people seem to think.

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

Mykeru wrote:
Remick wrote:

Poll question: "Have you ever felt unwelcome, discriminated against, or harmed by P.Z. Meyers?" I would hazard a guess that those within the Secular Community (meaning here) would say yes.

I noticed some commenters pointing to the fact that "no MRA types" were commenting on the PZed post was somehow indicative of concession.

birdterrifier

Post by birdterrifier »

Remick wrote:

there are no raw numbers, so basically it doesn't mean shit. I took the survey, they clearly didn't print total yes/no to that question. Ok, so more women said yes then men, but if it is 9% Yes, 91% no, who gives a fuck.[/quote]

I don't appreciate polls where the repondnts are not randomly selected.

One of the questions was (paraphrased) "Have you ever encountered any problems during your participation in the secular movement?" It's such a vague question. I've had problems with my local organization but it wasn't anything more than ordinary problems one encounters in a large group of different folks. Seemed like a useless question to me.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Za-zen wrote:He commited the cardinal sin of thinking sulky might be a person, he did it on twitter too for all to see. He by definition lost his slyme. It fell from him in a self defrock, and he was left naked, and known.
Giving myself bonus points for the biblical porn allusion.

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

Za-zen wrote:He commited the cardinal sin of thinking sulky might be a person, he did it on twitter too for all to see. He by definition lost his slyme. It fell from him in a self defrock, and he was left naked, and known.
Links or it didn't happen.

birdterrifier

Post by birdterrifier »

Za-zen wrote:
birdterrifier wrote:

I've got some #FriendlyFriday tweets for you then.

debaser71

Post by debaser71 »

decius wrote:When not in a live-in relationship, I tend to invite strangers, including homeless people, to stay at my home for short period of times, until they can get back on their feet (or at least rest, wash and eat properly for a while). Many times that courtesy has been extended to me during adventurous travelling. Only a couple of times it turned out badly, but on average, I regard it as one of those things that enrich one's life.
I bolded the relevant part! haha

birdterrifier

Post by birdterrifier »

d4m10n wrote:
Links or it didn't happen.

I also gave the evil Svan some props for promoting Randi's new movie even though I'm angered by about 3/4 of her blog.

OH NOES! I BROKE RANK!

debaser71

Post by debaser71 »

birdterrifier wrote:
I used to work in a field where we'd hand out donations and such to mentally ill adults. There are laws and rules and things we needed to follow. Clothes needed to be clean(ed) before donating them. Quite literally the basic rule of thumb was if it was too ragged or dirty that you yourself wouldn't wear it, then it's not suitable for donating. It's a similar thing with food drives. If the packaging is broken, even a little bit or if the label is torn...sorry but it's trash and can not be donated. Just saying.

windy

Post by windy »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I'm not giving any money to anyone. I'm not homeless these days (thanks to my father lending us an appartment he owns. Check your privilege, me!), but I don't have any regular earnings or government benefits, since I've refused to apply to those for years out of ethics. Ali started working again at the beginning of this month, but with 15000 euros/year and two pets, it's just barely enough to go by. My own revenues are based mainly on records sales (no copyright money, I think I've said this before), and you all can guess how this has been going with the current economy.
How good are the online music stores at paying up their dues? Any difference compared to buying one of your tasteful coasters?
[/self pitty] (or should that be "pytti"? Hey new word for the Pyt!)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyttipanna

Apples

Post by Apples »

There is so much wrong with this preliminary fuzzy info dump from Secular Census that I wouldn't know where to start. They sure as hell aren't going to win any Tufte awards or prizes for statistical chops.

I did notice this bit at the end of their summary report:
Secular Census wrote:While they [women respondents] are atheists (the most common identifier among both men and women), they are more likely than men to attend church or use a religious identity -- so groups where there is hostility or ridicule about religious participation are probably not going to feel welcoming to women.
http://www.secularcensus.us/analysis/2013-01-23

I'm sure PZ will stfu and get right on this problem, since he always lissenz to the wimmenz.

Mark Neil

Post by Mark Neil »

Mykeru wrote:[spoiler]
Remick wrote:

[/spoiler]

One of their posters(Kbonn) pointed out that there were holes in the data, that the full study would be released at 10,000 posts(?) and that PZ may have propped up the study prematurely. S/H/it got a response from sallyStrange:
sally wrote:
kbonn wrote:Simply put, why rush this out?
I suppose, because after two years or so of testerically unhinged male supremacist assholes screaming us that BITCHES BE LYING about the harassment, and WHERE IS THE EVIDENCE because they can’t just take a woman’s word for what happened to her, it’s nice to have something that backs up what hundreds (thousands?) of people have been saying all along.
I really hope the data that is missing shows that it's PZ's lot, and generally unrelated causes that affect women's participation. I can't imagine anything more fitting that leaking just enough information for PZ to latch onto and claim victory, promoting the shit out of it, only for the final data to show he is the problem, simply because he's to stupid to be skeptical about what the data he has actually says.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Mykeru wrote:Poll question: "Have you ever felt unwelcome, discriminated against, or harmed by P.Z. Meyers?" I would hazard a guess that those within the Secular Community (meaning here) would say yes.

I now think that fucker knowingly, KNOWINGLY, promotes bad science nowadays. He used to brag about being really good at figuring out which studies were good, and which were bad (questionable numbers, bad methodology, small sample sizes, biases, etc). Now he promotes that shit as real without examining it first. As long as it looks like it's in favour of feminism's many wild claims, he'll suck up all the woo and propaganda, and then spit it out as a blogpost. He's lost it. He's no scientist anymore, just a feminist claim parrot. A woomeister of gender conspiracy theories, a believer in intuition (that's how they just KNOW that we're all potential rapists, and how they know we are contantly doing evil thought crimes like having sexualizationalobjectificationy thoughts).

Remick

Post by Remick »

Apples wrote:There is so much wrong with this preliminary purposely fuzzy info dump from Secular Census that I wouldn't know where to start. They sure as hell aren't going to win any Tufte awards or prizes for statistical chops.

I did notice this bit at the end of their summary report:
Secular Census wrote:While they [women respondents] are atheists (the most common identifier among both men and women), they are more likely than men to attend church or use a religious identity -- so groups where there is hostility or ridicule about religious participation are probably not going to feel welcoming to women.
http://www.secularcensus.us/analysis/2013-01-23

I'm sure PZ will stfu and get right on this problem, since he always lissenz to the wimmenz.
Fixed.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Submariner wrote:I noticed some commenters pointing to the fact that "no MRA types" were commenting on the PZed post was somehow indicative of concession.
Yep, it wouldn't have aaaannnyyything to do with the fact that PZ blocks everyone he thinks is an MRA or Pitter. He even wrote once that he goes through the Pit for names and put us all into a blocking filter. :lol:

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
decius wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:

Argghh!

Also, I can't seem to know jackshit about youtube inbedding. Or "preview" buttons, for that matter...

I knew Fairyland sounded familiar! I have an album of them stashed away somewhere. Also an album from an obscure band, Dark Moor, called "Hall of the Olden Dreams". Ah, it's all falling into place.

welch

Post by welch »

Mykeru wrote:
welch wrote:[spoiler]
franc wrote:
welch wrote:I will never understand why you insist on acting as if you know fucka-all-anything about how anyone here lives their lives off this board. But I'd forgotten, franc knows everything. Is it that time of the month again?
Yeah it is. Fuck you Mac-boy.

At least you can sleep easy knowing there are more smart phones in India than flushing toilets. Makes you feel all is right in the world. Priorities eh? Glad we got them right.
[/spoiler]

Oh look, franc is doing his angry revolutionary bit again, on how we don't need shit. How long did you bag on Facebook before you created an account there? Tell us again about your minimalist blogger lifestyle.

It's all sooo stupid and unnecessary, so much so that you have to use it all just to tell us how much better off we'd be without it.

Okay Grampy, you run along and listen to your nickelodeon and reminisce about the good old days.
I would just like to offer my completely objective and non-biased opinion that you are both a couple of massive assholes.
Yes. Yes I am.

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

Scented Nectar wrote:
Submariner wrote:I noticed some commenters pointing to the fact that "no MRA types" were commenting on the PZed post was somehow indicative of concession.
Yep, it wouldn't have aaaannnyyything to do with the fact that PZ blocks everyone he thinks is an MRA or Pitter. He even wrote once that he goes through the Pit for names and put us all into a blocking filter. :lol:
Well, I guess that would make the evidence from Pzed's comments section an enforced de-selecting sample. :lol:

welch

Post by welch »

Mykeru wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:

Fail.
Well, that makes sense.

Interesting. My parents yelled at each other 24x7 almost. Took me a while to realize no, that's not just "conversation".

welch

Post by welch »

birdterrifier wrote:
AbsurdWalls wrote:
birdterrifier wrote:
That is is a possibility. Pretty expensive handout though. I guess the Oklahoma economy is pretty good in relation to the rest of the US but wow.
Or someone who could afford to replace it decided he needed a nice warm coat and hey look, I have one right here.

welch

Post by welch »

Metalogic42 wrote:
Mykeru wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:

Fail.
Well, that makes sense.

A lot of people, for some reason, think that bottling up one's anger is unhealthy. This is partially true, but the healthy way to deal with anger is to get it resolved, not fly off the handle at someone, as so many people seem to think.
Different strokes. I get really loudly angry for about 10-20 minutes, then i'm done. Everyone has different ways of resolving shit. I like to get the initial flush over and done with so I can then approach the problem rationally.

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

welch wrote:
birdterrifier wrote:
AbsurdWalls wrote:
birdterrifier wrote:
Or someone who could afford to replace it decided he needed a nice warm coat and hey look, I have one right here.
It does say something in the Bible about giving away your coat and cloak, and maybe (just this once) religion didn't poison everything. *ducks*

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

d4m10n wrote: It does say something in the Bible about giving away your coat and cloak, and maybe (just this once) religion didn't poison everything. *ducks*
http://petethomas.typepad.com/.a/6a0120 ... 970c-450wi
... who fed a Qu'ran to these ducks?

Apples

Post by Apples »

Scented Nectar wrote:I now think that fucker knowingly, KNOWINGLY, promotes bad science nowadays. He used to brag about being really good at figuring out which studies were good, and which were bad (questionable numbers, bad methodology, small sample sizes, biases, etc). Now he promotes that shit as real without examining it first. As long as it looks like it's in favour of feminism's many wild claims, he'll suck up all the woo and propaganda, and then spit it out as a blogpost. He's lost it. He's no scientist anymore, just a feminist claim parrot. A woomeister of gender conspiracy theories, a believer in intuition (that's how they just KNOW that we're all potential rapists, and how they know we are contantly doing evil thought crimes like having sexualizationalobjectificationy thoughts).
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Hd4lm-a4rK8/T ... as+-+b.png

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Submariner wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
Well, I guess that would make the evidence from Pzed's comments section an enforced de-selecting sample. :lol:
I've never seen any evidence be allowed in his comment sections (they are quite allergic to real evidence), but they certainly are a filtered collection of only the most insane and malicious. PZ's zoo or mental hospital for the severely damaged, I'm not sure which.

Wonderist

Post by Wonderist »

The posting about the 62% thing is useless without also posting either the raw numbers or the overall rate. Those particular numbers, 62%, 34%, and 4% no-response, could have been achieved with as few as 47 respondents overall: 29 female, 16 male, and 2 no-response.

In other words, as few as 13 additional responses by women could have tipped the scales drastically. Yet if it was only 47 respondents out of many thousands, the overall rate would be negligible, far less than 1%.

Furthermore -- and this is very likely to be the case -- the numbers for people feeling unwelcome in a religious setting could be far higher than in the non-religious setting, and still yield a 'lower' percentage of female versus male, by the mere fact that larger sample sizes have less variance in their means. For example, it could be that there is a ten times higher rate of feeling uncomfortable in religious settings, but if the numbers happen to be 225 female and 225 male, then it would show up as 0.5 vs. 0.5, which appears to show that women feel less comfortable in the secular movement, but meanwhile 225/29 shows a 7.75 times better climate for women in secularism than in religion. This is all just speculation, without the actual data, no one can make an accurate assessment.

This is an example of the Base Rate Fallacy, and closely related to the Prosecutor's Fallacy and Simpson's Paradox, all of which are examples of misunderstanding conditional probability. See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conditiona ... _fallacies

Myers has no excuse for this. He is pushing propaganda, pure and simple. I highly recommend folks here read a bit on conditional probability, if they are unfamiliar with it. It's actually a pretty interesting concept (that we already use in our daily lives, usually intuitively and without realizing it), and learning the theory behind it can really help clarify one's thinking. A great tool to add to your baloney detection kits.

Al Stefanelli

Post by Al Stefanelli »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
Al Stefanelli wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
She tweeted about a cut and color - in my neighborhood, with my shoulder length hair, *and* going to a cheap place, I'm looking at around $100.
Yeah, I get it, but here in the Atlanta area you can get that done for $50.00, or less. I suppose it's all relative, but I don't classify this in the same category of a $200.00 pair of shoes. There have been times where I was nearly broke and looking for a job or needing to look my best when trying to convince someone to rent me a house that the price of a haircut was worth doing without something else.

Natalie and I have had our disagreements, and there is much about what she writes that I do not agree with. However, I've been homeless and I wouldn't wish that on anyone, not even the FC(n). Just my two cents..

Reap

Post by Reap »

Common errors in the interpretation of survey data
1) Quoting percentages only
In general, it is irritating, if not unacceptable, for a report to be written quoting only
percentages. A person reading a report on findings from survey data must be easily able to
determine the base (i.e., the number of cases) on which percentages have been calculated. It
can be quite misleading to present percentages and especially changes in percentages when
the base for the percentage is very small.

PZ Myers is an idiot. Without actual numbers that census data means jack shit. Has he lost his mind? This is BASIC stuff. A fifth grade kid could figure it out. I wonder who had the bright idea to release these figures w/o any real numbers

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Al Stefanelli wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:
Al Stefanelli wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
Yeah, I get it, but here in the Atlanta area you can get that done for $50.00, or less. I suppose it's all relative, but I don't classify this in the same category of a $200.00 pair of shoes. There have been times where I was nearly broke and looking for a job or needing to look my best when trying to convince someone to rent me a house that the price of a haircut was worth doing without something else.

Natalie and I have had our disagreements, and there is much about what she writes that I do not agree with. However, I've been homeless and I wouldn't wish that on anyone, not even the FC(n). Just my two cents..
Al you know waaaaay too much about the price of a ladies cut n colour! Is there something we should know?
I would imagine that NR's hair is important to her as she transitions. It will be firmly tied into her identity at this time, and is probably one of the more important external features that help her identify as female. It's not something I personally give 2 tosses about, the six monthly shave suffices for me. But I can see why it would be very important to her.

debaser71

Post by debaser71 »

It's even more basic than hiding the raw data.

They ask a vague question then attribute it specifically to secular events, organizations, and participants.