Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
decius

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by decius »

franc wrote:
As for the canuck justice system - I cannot comment other than I trust it is better than the merkins. I still maintain mabus is a patsy - I doubt he has any colorado shooter in him. just convenient for PZ's martyr delusions.
I think the cybercops would thoroughly check the paternity of the messages, unless they're a bunch of incompetent morons.

I could find a few tweets that helped to convict him.

http://skeptools.files.wordpress.com/20 ... .png?w=630

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

Are those tweets recent?

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

BarnOwl wrote:
Skeeve wrote:Great, my boss probably thinks I'm weird now.

I left the Pit open while dealing with customers and he walked over to my laptop and was looking at the screen.

I then spent about 20 minutes explaining to him about the guy in franc's avatar picture. I'm not sure he believed me.

:lol:
There's an explanation for the guy in franc's avatar photo?? :shock:
Yeah, it's an old meme. Here's a couple more pics from the same guy:

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/ori ... y_ever.jpg

http://ospois.files.wordpress.com/2008/ ... thing3.jpg

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

The crazy bitch who uttered that piece of madness is now desperately trying to save face from such an idiotic statement by saying she was quote mined lol

franc

Post by franc »

decius wrote:
franc wrote:

As for the canuck justice system - I cannot comment other than I trust it is better than the merkins. I still maintain mabus is a patsy - I doubt he has any colorado shooter in him. just convenient for PZ's martyr delusions.
I think the cybercops would thoroughly check the paternity of the messages, unless they're a bunch of incompetent morons.

I could find a few tweets that helped to convict him.
I'm not disputing the authenticity, only the intent.

Face it. That's nonsense. mabus is not close. That's fucking bullshit. That's a Victorian housewife raising her bloomers and squeaking about mice. Bullshit. Fuck me. You know what terror is? A train home at 3am, a 400m subway tunnel to get there. Half way, 3 skinheads drop down one end, you turn and there's three more at the other.

Don't talk to me about terror. These are baby tales about nonsense so they can suck mommas nipple. Fucking cunts.

franc

Post by franc »

Skeeve wrote:Yeah, it's an old meme. Here's a couple more pics from the same guy:
YEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

Someone bothers to look.

Thankyou Skeeve. Minir faith in species restored.

Goatboy

Post by Goatboy »

franc wrote:Concerned citizens unite -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudun_possessions

Hearsay, rumour, whispers, palpitating nuns on the floor of a cathedral.

Pretty much the baboons and Dave Mabus' life story.

Ok, it's been a long time since I watched the film and even longer since I read the book, but I do not get that analogy at all.

Ah well.

"What fresh lunacy is this?"

franc

Post by franc »

Skeeve wrote:Yeah, it's an old meme. Here's a couple more pics from the same guy:
OK, pick this. Hint: Not Michael Jackson

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Was out for a drink at the weekend with my bro, next table was a few guys with skins and the green bomber jackets with patches etc, stereotypical stuff, as the night went on i lost my patience and called them facist cunts. whiskey and me are a bad combo, anyway i wasn't too bothered my bros a cop and can look after himself, and im ex foreign legion and not to shy of a good ol fashion fuckup... The front was all for show though, as soon as they were faced off with someone who didnt give a fuck for their hardman appearance they melted out the door, literally got up and walked.......

Now as for the baboon heroines and heros out to save the world from the evils, id like to just once see one of those wankers back their mouth up with their ass, for all their ballsy antics i'd love to ask laden along to a ding dong with some real facists. Cowardly fuck would run a mile.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

franc, please, PLEASE tell me your latest avatar isn't a picture of the Prune's labes...

decius

Post by decius »

The tweets are not recent, they date back to prior of the conviction and were used as evidence.

Intent: you may be right, Franc. But we cannot trust your ability of interpreting it any better than anyone else's.
What matters really is the stated intent by the author, which is plain to read. Further, the law is unequivocal - those are unacceptable things to say/tweet/write to anyone under any circumstances.
So, let's be fair to Myers and Farley and countless others, especially since we haven't been subjected directly to M's attentions.

EveryMan

Post by EveryMan »

KiwiInOz wrote:
I wonder if this is a case of "I want you to listen and validate me and my feelings, rather than try and solve my problems"?

:think:
That's the vibe I've gotten from the various serial complainers. They get some sort of emotional satisfaction from whining about things, especially in public, high-profile positions.

Look at what happened to SurlyAmy @TAM. The JREF actually took her hysterics seriously and had her under constant surveillance. And everyone else avoided her like the plague. So she leaves in tears (and then blogs about it).

EveryMan

Post by EveryMan »

Lsuoma wrote:franc, please, PLEASE tell me your latest avatar isn't a picture of the Prune's labes...
One of the SkepChick's was servicing the Prune and said, "Damn you have a big pussy. Damn you have a big pussy."

The Prune, confused, asks "Why did you say it twice?"

The SkepChick replies, "I didn't."

franc

Post by franc »

Lsuoma wrote:franc, please, PLEASE tell me your latest avatar isn't a picture of the Prune's labes...
Alas... that is why I have to type with my toes having chewed both arms off...

Cigar still goes to midget that shoots pool balls out hir ass unless you do better.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

EveryMan wrote:
One of the SkepChick's was servicing the Prune and said, "Damn you have a big pussy. Damn you have a big pussy."

Here, please take this internet what you have won!

franc

Post by franc »

EveryMan wrote:

"didn't... didn't... didn't... didn't...didn't... didn't...didn't... didn't...didn't... didn't...didn't... didn't...didn't... didn't...didn't... didn't...didn't... didn't...didn't... didn't...didn't... didn't...didn't... didn't...didn't... didn't...didn't... didn't...didn't... didn't...didn't... didn't...didn't... didn't...didn't... didn't...didn't... didn't...didn't... didn't...didn't... didn't..."

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

franc wrote:
OK, pick this. Hint: Not Michael Jackson
Only Uber Goatse knows for sure.

franc

Post by franc »

Sulky Amy's on life support -

Becky - What happened???

Sulky Amy - Forgot cobwebs were flammable.... <gasp><Gurgle><machine that goes BEEP beeps>

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Za-zen wrote:With regard to mabus:
My opinion is if he wants to post here thats his business, if it's breaching legal conditions placed on him, that's his business.
Sounds fair enough. If Mabus is violating the terms of his release, then he knows it and he can deal with the consequences. We aren't his nannies.

As to whether Mabus is mentally ill enough to warrant being on medication - is this certain? The most I've seen about it was something on PZs dungeon list, where he said that Mabus is genuinely mentally ill. *shrugs* In any case, even if Mabus does have a genuine illness, on what basis should this board discriminate against him because of that? It would be akin to the hypocrisy one sees on the baboon boards, where, for all their talk of being against 'ableism', they remain quite happy to collectively bar him from commentating on their blogs on the basis that he might possibly be schizophrenic/bipolar/whatever.

That said, I personally am going to err on the side of caution as regards the possibility of mabus being seriously mentally ill, and avoid feeding/enabling him whenever possible. Way I see it, It's a matter of individual conscience. How others may view him and his situation is up to the individual - I don't think collective action is necessary or warranted.

As to whether or not this is actually someone impersonating him - again, *shrugs*. Let him post, and make of the posts what ye will. Better that than the intellectual suffocation you get on the baboon boards; which is what will likely result when 'unacceptable' people start getting banned.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

I got in a dodgy way; I got in by osmosis.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

franc wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:What totally is cracking me up, is that if this is indeed Mabus, I think I believe him over PZ Liars. When Mabus says he's NOT been stalking PZ for 20 yrs like PZ always says, but only for 3 yrs, I wouldn't be at all surprised to find this to be true. :lol:
It says a lot - those lining up to lynch and those that do not. I believe we have the crux of the matter. "Assimulate or destroy" versus "fuck you, whatever, I'm having another beer, catch you later, maybe"
I hope you mean I'm in the latter group.

Post by Guest »

Massimo Pigliucci's response to Myers regarding abortion.

http://rationallyspeaking.blogspot.com/ ... rtion.html

EveryMan

Post by EveryMan »

Sacha loses her keys at the mall, so franc tells her to retrace her steps...

[youtube]zdjsUWFNvnY[/youtube]

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

It's not Marzuke/Mabus

franc

Post by franc »

Scented Nectar wrote:
franc wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:What totally is cracking me up, is that if this is indeed Mabus, I think I believe him over PZ Liars. When Mabus says he's NOT been stalking PZ for 20 yrs like PZ always says, but only for 3 yrs, I wouldn't be at all surprised to find this to be true. :lol:
It says a lot - those lining up to lynch and those that do not. I believe we have the crux of the matter. "Assimulate or destroy" versus "fuck you, whatever, I'm having another beer, catch you later, maybe"
I hope you mean I'm in the latter group.
Depends if you'll sit on my face or not.

franc

Post by franc »

All jokes aside -

Did Myers construct his own elevator demon out of Mabus?

Consider. This is also the man that built his own "Ozzy Osbourne and bat" routine out of crackergate.

Pause. Reflect.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

franc wrote:All jokes aside -

Did Myers construct his own elevator demon out of Mabus?

Consider. This is also the man that built his own "Ozzy Osbourne and bat" routine out of crackergate.

Pause. Reflect.
to be fair, even pre-FfTB, Brayhorse said he was getting pretty much the same treatment. Now, I happen to see Brayhorse as a moral weenie, and at present psychologically/financially tied to PZ, but I trust his judgment in matters like this more than I would trust the PeeNus...

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Tigzy wrote:As to whether or not this is actually someone impersonating him - again, *shrugs*. Let him post, and make of the posts what ye will. Better that than the intellectual suffocation you get on the baboon boards; which is what will likely result when 'unacceptable' people start getting banned.
As I have inferred earlier I have no problem with "him" posting here.

What is ironic is that several who post at the other place have confessed to being being mentally ill at one point at another. The difference I guess is that they are on their meds, and our friend may well not be.

I only know a couple of people with schizophrenia and for the most part they were fairly harmless most of the time. For exampke one would do "reality checks" as in "do you see xxxxx on the wall or am I having hallucinations again?"

However,

I also say "fairly harmless" because one of them told me he went to see a shrink after planning to kill some people at his workplace, and it occurred to him that this was not normative.

The key here I suspect is that both these individuals have a fairly high IQ, and as soon as they realized they had issues, went and sought treatment.

There are also quite a few issues with living with this condition, one of them being the medication. The side effects can be so bad, they provide an incentive to stop taking them, and it can take awhile to get the dosages right.

In my experience, this is not a condition that is easy to manage from any perspective, and a good working relationship with the mental health professionals is very important.

tachikoma

Post by tachikoma »

CommanderTuvok wrote:
real horrorshow wrote:Well that didn't last:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8012/7700 ... aa00_z.jpg
That "everything is already documented" argument frequently used by the Baboons and Skepchicks is very much a copy of the trick religious people use when they say "well, until you've read the Bible from front to cover, you atheist has no argument".
At least you can acquire and read the Bible. I don't think the threats have actually been documented, just asserted that they existed. Or in the case of that one email Watson called a "hate mail", something that is not what she labeled it as. If they were actually documented somewhere wouldn't it be easy just to link to them?

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

franc wrote:Depends if you'll sit on my face or not.
I'd like to see your face before I decide that one. Depends on my mood too, if I may be TMI for a moment. I've actually not been horny all day. My nether regions are a sad state of affairs at the moment for that reasons. I should have at least a few very horny thoughts per day. Maybe it's my age and my poor cunt now needs a day off or two a week.

sacha

Post by sacha »

Za-zen wrote:With regard to mabus:

My opinion is if he wants to post here thats his business, if it's breaching legal conditions placed on him, that's his business.

If anyone doesn't like the content of his posts, don't read it, if you choose to read it and be offended, poor you, if you choose to read it, and be so offended that you want to ban him :roll: catch a fucking grip, you are a self made victim. If manus personally threatens you, and you believe it's credible, then contact your local authorities, it isn't the responsibility of anyone here to protect you, if anyone doesn't like the fact that a character they dislike (for whatever reason) is allowed to post here, then they're the one with the problem.

The world is made up of all kinds of weirdos, and you and me are part of that, now you can choose to see the pyt as the hall of voices, where everyone gets to spout their shit, and have it tested by those who choose to. Or you can see the pyt as a little club of malcontents, but y're going already introducing group dynamics. Let the pyt be free air. There isn't much of it left.

This diatribe was not directed at any person in particular, just my musings.
Well said. I agree

sacha

Post by sacha »

EveryMan wrote:Sacha loses her keys at the mall, so franc tells her to retrace her steps...

but I'd never go to a mall...

xjustos2

Post by xjustos2 »

here is the first mention PZ makes of Markuze...

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2008 ... incursion/

also I want you to know that he ran to the police the first day i posted on his blog

hardly 20 years

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Guest wrote:
Dilurk wrote: Grow some pubes and register you porcupine wielding refugee from the free from thought blogs, then you can disagree with franc all you want provided you give well reasoned arguments instead of typical fftb sniping.
So you want me to register a pseudonym so I can argue with other people posting psuedonymously? Since I don't comment at FTB, I have no established 'nym. If I register as guest1, would that satisfy your demands that I have a nom de plume?

FWIW, the only FTB blog I read is Brayton's and I have soured some on him since he chose PZ as his business partner. Why, oh, WHY must you otherize me!!1!!11!one!!1!
Fair enough. Conflating you with a baboon is indeed quite an insult, for which I do apologise, do keep in mind the baboons were/are known for flinging feces here.

Now as for the other matter. I don't care who you are, but it does get confusing keeping track of who said what. As for my own identity, I have said before, if anyone really gives a care who I am, provided they aren't Laden I will tell them. I have had the joyful experience of harassment phone calls at 3am and I have had a real live stalker. I have no real wish to repeat that wonderful experience given the nutcases on the Internet.

As far as your arguments go, if the criticisms are valid they are valid. No one here will want to see you banned. I personally welcome criticism, it keeps us honest.

astrokid.nj

why men die earlier, on fox business news

Post by astrokid.nj »

KiwiInOz wrote:Once upon a time it was asked why do husbands die before their wives?
The answer, of course, was because they want to.
You get Mark Rudov's answer at 3:38
[youtube]E007Zu00a-Q[/youtube]

tachikoma

Post by tachikoma »

A couple interesting comments over at Tf00t's
Acathode wrote:In Sweden, where I live, the feminist movement saw their chance to go into politics for real a few years ago, not just by influencing important politicians this time, but as a real feministic party. They had some decent support too, until it was time for their first congress. They pretty much managed to completely kill the Swedish population’s support for feminism in those 3 days.

For example they had a music group who, to much cheering from the congress attendees, went on stage singing about how they were going to hunt down and rip men to shreds (very much inspired by Solanas). They barred men from ever becoming board members or any sort of higher member in the organization. One of the leader figures, Tiina Rosenberg, was quoted saying “women who have sex with men are gender traitors”. Just to mention some of the controversies.

After that, feminism in Sweden was mortaly wounded, they managed to make it crystal clear that feminism was not the same thing as equaliy to the whole Swedish population.

Today few swedes will call themselves feminists, even thought Sweden is one of the most progressed countries on the gender issues. Many of the few feminists that still can be found, often artists and art journalists, are open in their praise of for example Solanas and her “Society for Cutting Up Men”.
I've seen conflicting information about just how much radical feminists are influencing Swedish politics, but I think this is the first time I see someone claiming that feminism is getting pushback in Sweden.

Speaking of Solanas...I remember in one of the old Sciblog Pharyngula threads, a young feminist (forgot who) got all huffy about how "cutting up men" is obviously just a MRA-built strawman of feminists. Until Caine (yes, that Caine) pointed out that the SCUM Manifesto is actually a real thing. I think some of this "feminism can never be wrong or too powerful" may be because younger feminists didn't experience just how mainstream (or at least, it wasn't marginalized enough) Solanas and SCUM was back in the day before Solanas actually went out and tried to kill someone.

Unfortunately I don't have links and the comments are gone. It might have been the thread that Scented Nectar was on and doubted the sexual harassment story of one of the regulars. SN, do you have this thread saved?

Somewhat related: they also don't really talk about a radfem's assassination attempt on (sex-positive feminist?) Susie Bright:
I was seven months pregnant; I had to go to the bathroom every few minutes. I asked my producer to follow me into the lavatory on the ground floor; I felt a little nervous from all the anti-Susie protests upstairs in the auditorium.

It was one of those giant tiled restrooms with a dozen stalls and porcelain sinks lined up against the wall. From the rear corner a young blond woman, with a sharp tool grasped in her hands, rushed up to me. I don't know know what I would have done without my colleague there. —Or without my giant belly giving this young woman pause.

She was in tears as she accused me of "female genocide"— yes, she with the blade in her hand. It made her angry to see me as a mommy-to-be, a real woman who had to take a piss, who might not be a monster after all. She wanted me to be that monster so badly, so she could destroy me.
The other comment at Tf00t's:
Marlo Rocci wrote:The predominant response from men is quite interesting. They aren’t joining MRAs in any large numbers. Those are still fringe groups. I’ve checked the view counts on MRA videos, and they’re really low for the daily posters.

Instead, they’re killing marriage. They’re quietly withdrawing from the needs of women on going on with their own lives in peace. The death of marriage is the most dramatic event in our country’s history since the birth of the women’s movement. Unlike feminism, it’s a quiet action. Joining an MRA group may be damaging to your career, especially as women now rank very high in managerial ranks, but no one can force you to get married, very few would even ask if you are.
Interesting view, but I don't have the numbers and I'm a little doubtful that it's that dramatic.

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

xjustos2 wrote:here is the first mention PZ makes of Markuze...

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2008 ... incursion/

also I want you to know that he ran to the police the first dayi he posted on his blog

hardly 20 years

Fixed

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

tachikoma wrote:Speaking of Solanas...I remember in one of the old Sciblog Pharyngula threads, a young feminist (forgot who) got all huffy about how "cutting up men" is obviously just a MRA-built strawman of feminists. Until Caine (yes, that Caine) pointed out that the SCUM Manifesto is actually a real thing. I think some of this "feminism can never be wrong or too powerful" may be because younger feminists didn't experience just how mainstream (or at least, it wasn't marginalized enough) Solanas and SCUM was back in the day before Solanas actually went out and tried to kill someone.

Unfortunately I don't have links and the comments are gone. It might have been the thread that Scented Nectar was on and doubted the sexual harassment story of one of the regulars. SN, do you have this thread saved?
Do I ever! That was my first real fight over there. And what a fight it was! Spanned two threads, but my questioning of the most hole-filled story of assault I'd ever heard, did not win me friends. On that same thread, I fought with Skeptifem too. Quite funny that was. I will do some ctrl-f searches and see if what you refer to is in there too.

xjustos2

Post by xjustos2 »

furthermore:

Obviously the police couldn't give a shit about some atheist blogger. They realize that PZ is only getting what he deserves for all his lies. But in reality Markuze was only using the INTERNET, the very weapon PZ uses to spew his brand of intolerant religious hatred, against him. PZ had to find one line such as "atheists, we going to cut off your heads" or "die, atheist, die" to try to construe some sort of death threat against him in an attempt to criminalize, slander and silence his opposition. Indeed, Markuze was charged for ****SAYING***** "atheists, we going to cut off your heads" and "die, atheist, die!"

GREAT CRIME!

But he meant this SYMBOLICALLY RATHER THAN LITERALLY! Now there is a HUGE DIFFERENCE between saying something and doing something. Do you see the difference?

Markuze was going to fly down from Montreal and hunt down this persistent pest? NONSENSE

Why would Markuze need to when the INTERNET is far more effective in destroying PZ's lies.

Markuze was actually arrested because he spammed the Montreal Police twitter feed for a few days. This forced them to act.

sacha

Post by sacha »

xjustos2 wrote:furthermore:

Obviously the police couldn't give a shit about some atheist blogger. They realize that PZ is only getting what he deserves for all his lies. But in reality Markuze was only using the INTERNET, the very weapon PZ uses to spew his brand of intolerant religious hatred, against him. PZ had to find one line such as "atheists, we going to cut off your heads" or "die, atheist, die" to try to construe some sort of death threat against him in an attempt to criminalize, slander and silence his opposition. Indeed, Markuze was charged for ****SAYING***** "atheists, we going to cut off your heads" and "die, atheist, die!"

GREAT CRIME!

But he meant this SYMBOLICALLY RATHER THAN LITERALLY! Now there is a HUGE DIFFERENCE between saying something and doing something. Do you see the difference?

Markuze was going to fly down from Montreal and hunt down this persistent pest? NONSENSE

Why would Markuze need to when the INTERNET is far more effective in destroying PZ's lies.

Markuze was actually arrested because he spammed the Montreal Police twitter feed for a few days. This forced them to act.
I've heard that. It makes sense, there is no love for PZ here, but the others besides PZ? Krelnek? Novella? Randi? Why them?

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

ERV wrote:E-READER THINGIE--

Apparently I have Lexcycle Stanza (Mac)
Jesus fucking Christ! This is why I could never work in a virology lab. How were you exposed to it? Did you tear a hole in your biohazard suit like Kevin Spacey in that Outbreak Movie?

decius

Post by decius »

xjustos2 wrote:
GREAT CRIME!

Bullshit.

First of all, the majority of deranged individuals who go on committing shooting sprees and mass killings have a history of issuing threats and fantasizing more or less publicly about their prospective crimes. Of course, that doesn't mean that the majority of verbal and written threats are serious, but it tells you right there that ignoring and/or dismissing threats coming from loons is foolish in the extreme.

Secondly, Markuze showed up TWICE at atheist events, one in which PZ was present together with dozens of independent witnesses.

Finally, read what he wrote in those tweets I published. It's a far cry from your characterisation.

xjustos2

Post by xjustos2 »

Now watch this. The news, the police, and all these whining atheist bloggers all completely oblivious to what is *really* going on. What is really threatened is their "IDEOLOGY."

If Markuze wanted to remain anonymous he could of used one of the thousands of free Wfi spots all over Montreal and they could of done nothing against him.

Not so easy to track as they claim as it leaves no fingerprints. Now Markuze *wanted* to be arrested to make a point.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Ha-Haaa - Aron Ra's wife has just written something for hubby's blog - http://freethoughtblogs.com/aronra/2012 ... apologist/ - and there are some beauties of baboon idiocy in the comments below. For example, the first respose to her post was this:
dougal445 says:
August 3, 2012 at 5:40 am

while we’re on the subject ot labels and feminism, “Aron’s wife”?

dougal445 says:
August 3, 2012 at 5:47 am

i think this goes to the heart of real femnist issues far more than the skepchicks noise.

But here, the newspeak policing becomes even more absurd:
Crip Dyke, MQ, Right Reverend Feminist FuckToy of Death & Her Handmaiden says:
August 3, 2012 at 4:10 pm
After being a few rounds of laughs at the Skepchicks expense, his own forum members criticized him and he apologized for the joke’s offensiveness and lameness
Y’know, people with mobility impairments have to tolerate a ton of things being associated with us. We’re like boring TV shows, we’re like a day wasted at the DMV, we’re like contemptible idiots…

But saying that lameness = rape jokes is really over the F*n top.

Seriously?

What is it about mobility impairments that is just so like thinking rape is funny that you have to use the comparison here?

I am lame. I am – on rare occasions – funny. Time with me is certainly better than a day at the DMV.

And, lo and behold, I don’t go off on how it might be a moral good to rape people. What is it about me that makes you put “offensiveness” and “lameness” together? Is it that offensive to you that I have a disability?

What?

Seriously, WTF is it that makes you want to use my life to illustrate just how much you dislike moral approval of rape?
Hyperskepticism bad. Hypersensitivity good. :lol:

I swear, if you were going to write a serious novel with characters like these in it, the publisher would reckon it was a comedy!

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Ad Placement Fairness At FreeThoughtBlogs
[youtube]zUsKJafefdw[/youtube]

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

@Skeeve - I should have known it was a meme. :mrgreen:
how the divine pen of Michel Nostradamus crushed the international atheist movement
The Nostradamus thing just doesn't work for me. Too 1970s-Al Stewart-New Age.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

tachikoma wrote: The other comment at Tf00t's:
Marlo Rocci wrote:The predominant response from men is quite interesting. They aren’t joining MRAs in any large numbers. Those are still fringe groups. I’ve checked the view counts on MRA videos, and they’re really low for the daily posters.

Instead, they’re killing marriage. They’re quietly withdrawing from the needs of women on going on with their own lives in peace. The death of marriage is the most dramatic event in our country’s history since the birth of the women’s movement. Unlike feminism, it’s a quiet action. Joining an MRA group may be damaging to your career, especially as women now rank very high in managerial ranks, but no one can force you to get married, very few would even ask if you are.
Interesting view, but I don't have the numbers and I'm a little doubtful that it's that dramatic.
I doubt that this is the complete picture and in any case the view is not unanimous.

Dalrock for instance posits that what is happening in the USA (among other things) is that women as a whole are postponing marriage and kids till their late 30s and then discovering that eligible men have "disappeared", and are now forced into single motherhood, poaching, or resentfully "settling".

The men in their cohort by then have become accustomed to being ignored, now find themselves considered attractive by much younger women, but having seen what has happened to their peers who have gone through the divorce mill have no interest in taking the chance. I actually know a younger man in that bracket, he is in his low 40s, and will not even cohabit with a woman at this point either, and given his assets, I see his point.

Meanwhile, increasingly, it is still the upper socioeconomic classes still getting married. The rest do not for various reasons.

So I would not call it a "marriage strike" but more of a "marriage avoidance" first by the women, and later the men.

While we are on the subject of family formation, remember this post of mine mentioning the UK and Sweden?

http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... ives#p3358

- The UK is now tightening up requirements for Asians importing wives.
- Sweden is investigating the alarming number of Thai women migrating there.

China is also noticing another issue:

You Do Not Want To Be A Single Lady Over 28 In China
http://www.businessinsider.com/you-do-n ... ina-2012-7

Just like rural Sweden, Men in rural Korea are also importing women, but there are reported problems in Korea (still waiting for the report from Sweden):

http://chersurvivingkorea.blogspot.ca/2 ... ngage.html
``A large number of Korean men tying the knot with foreign women grapple with financial hardship. Many of the women run away from home to make money. Some work at restaurants and other low-paying service businesses, while others engage in prostitution,’’ a police officer said.
Basically, family formation issues are all over the place (duh!), and I expect pressures to grow in all the countries I mentioned and some interesting developments.

China appears to be in dire straits where apparently their TFR is now not only already below replacement level, they appear to be sliding towards endgame faster than Japan!! Japan BTW has had over 30 years to make adjustments, apparently China has less than nine years so I expect increasing social tensions to escalate within a decade.

We live in interesting times.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Tigzy

It has been said many times before, that you can't parody the fuckwits of fftb, freethoughtblaghs when looked at is too damn close to the real thing to be qualified parody. If you typed crips crap to someone who hasn't seen it, you would be slammed for hyperbole, and told you're intentionally misrepresenting them in order to invalidate their valid concerns!

How the fuck do you parody crip???

"I'm a dyke that that can't get my leg over, so it is diminishing and oppresive to all non normative walkers that high heels are allowed to be sold, and more disgustingly are placed in shop windows in full view, in a high street store, just to remind us that we are different, it's like the star of david that the nazis painted on windows to humiliate marginalised non privileged peoples, except worse"

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

I really should stop writing on the internet when pissed. Any app for that?

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Tigzy wrote:Ha-Haaa - Aron Ra's wife has just written something for hubby's blog - http://freethoughtblogs.com/aronra/2012 ... apologist/ - and there are some beauties of baboon idiocy in the comments below. For example, the first respose to her post was this:
dougal445 says:
August 3, 2012 at 5:40 am

while we’re on the subject ot labels and feminism, “Aron’s wife”?

dougal445 says:
August 3, 2012 at 5:47 am

i think this goes to the heart of real femnist issues far more than the skepchicks noise.

But here, the newspeak policing becomes even more absurd:
Crip Dyke, MQ, Right Reverend Feminist FuckToy of Death & Her Handmaiden says:
August 3, 2012 at 4:10 pm
After being a few rounds of laughs at the Skepchicks expense, his own forum members criticized him and he apologized for the joke’s offensiveness and lameness
Y’know, people with mobility impairments have to tolerate a ton of things being associated with us. We’re like boring TV shows, we’re like a day wasted at the DMV, we’re like contemptible idiots…

But saying that lameness = rape jokes is really over the F*n top.

Seriously?

What is it about mobility impairments that is just so like thinking rape is funny that you have to use the comparison here?

I am lame. I am – on rare occasions – funny. Time with me is certainly better than a day at the DMV.

And, lo and behold, I don’t go off on how it might be a moral good to rape people. What is it about me that makes you put “offensiveness” and “lameness” together? Is it that offensive to you that I have a disability?

What?

Seriously, WTF is it that makes you want to use my life to illustrate just how much you dislike moral approval of rape?
Hyperskepticism bad. Hypersensitivity good. :lol:

I swear, if you were going to write a serious novel with characters like these in it, the publisher would reckon it was a comedy!
I have a limp caused by the military. I haven't walked normally in years, and many days I need a cane. I don't take offense at that! Wait, I feel a touch of the vapors coming on....where's the couch? Oh, hugh manatee!

I think this line is also a bit over the top - along the lines of "they will never be satisfied":
However, to date I haven’t seen an apology for publicly shaming the Skepchicks, and having a laugh at their expense in the skeptic community.
WTF? What the hell does having a laugh at their expense in the skeptic community mean? I think PZ owes a lot of apologies to creationists and the religious. I'd wager that AronRa owes a lot of apologies as well. If PZ hadn't promoted it, most likely most of us (and many of the members there) would never have known of the joke. They throw a fit, make it into a huge deal, then blame the original poster for the free-for-all? Seriously?

I also noticed a continuation of the conflation between trolls and actual threats. I might be willing to go with hatred, but if someone sends a hate-filled email, and not the one quoted here, a real one, so what? That's what spam filters are for. Who cares what some anonymous commenter on the internet thinks? Who gives a fart about the trolls? Like I tell my kids, if your self-esteem is so bad that you take anonymous comments personally, then you need some help. Serious help. OK, I've never said that to my kids, but I have talked to them after getting into it with another kid where the cause was "he said/she said something" - I always ask them, why does it matter? Is it true? No, then why let them get you upset and get you in trouble? Does their opinion matter to you? No, then why care? Seriously, this is like watching an after-school special sometimes.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

BarnOwl wrote:@Skeeve - I should have known it was a meme. :mrgreen:
how the divine pen of Michel Nostradamus crushed the international atheist movement
The Nostradamus thing just doesn't work for me. Too 1970s-Al Stewart-New Age.
The best I've seen is that he was writing in code about the people and things taking place during his day. A bit of muckraking or satire, but written so he didn't get killed. It is an intriguing possibility. Anyone who thinks he was writing future events is a moron.

franc

Post by franc »

EveryMan wrote:Sacha loses her keys at the mall, so franc tells her to retrace her steps...
You don't realise how actually funny that is.

[youtube]kGJuA8LhlV0[/youtube]

EveryMan

Post by EveryMan »

AndrewV69 wrote: The men in their cohort by then have become accustomed to being ignored, now find themselves considered attractive by much younger women, but having seen what has happened to their peers who have gone through the divorce mill have no interest in taking the chance. I actually know a younger man in that bracket, he is in his low 40s, and will not even cohabit with a woman at this point either, and given his assets, I see his point.

So I would not call it a "marriage strike" but more of a "marriage avoidance" first by the women, and later the men.
I've had about a dozen relationships with women that had boyfriends that desperately wanted to marry them.

Maybe there is some confirmation bias there, but I've always wondered where that whole "men are afraid of commitment" meme comes from. My experience has been the exact opposite.

And yeah, I'm in the same boat as your buddy. The one time I made the mistake of co-habitating with a woman she started cheating on me as soon as I started demanding rent from her. I had to literally evict her, which would have been way more difficult if I had been dumb enough to marry her. I wouldn't live with a woman again unless she owned the house and I paid rent.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Lovely wife-soon-to-be. She is the sweetest person. We never fight or argue (well, we do, but she's very smart and can outdo me anytime with ease).

She's also the main provider of incomes (music really doesn't pay). I stay at home and take care of the place. Can the knuckleheads at FTB wrap their head around such a concept?

Git

Post by Git »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:She's also the main provider of incomes (music really doesn't pay). I stay at home and take care of the place. Can the knuckleheads at FTB wrap their head around such a concept?

Gender-traitor :D

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Git wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:She's also the main provider of incomes (music really doesn't pay). I stay at home and take care of the place. Can the knuckleheads at FTB wrap their head around such a concept?

I might also just be a misogynit for letting a woman get her own salary, and shit. Damn, I don't know anymore, these days.

EveryMan

Post by EveryMan »

tachikoma wrote: At least you can acquire and read the Bible. I don't think the threats have actually been documented, just asserted that they existed. Or in the case of that one email Watson called a "hate mail", something that is not what she labeled it as. If they were actually documented somewhere wouldn't it be easy just to link to them?
Feminists remind me of Libertarians. Whenever you ask them for citation for any of their nutty claims they often resort to "I've already provided it thousands of times.... blah blah blah".

So I googled "Rebecca Watson rape threats". Lots of people talking about it, but no details. I did find this:

http://skepchick.org/2011/12/reddit-mak ... -atheists/

tl;dr, 15 year old girl posts pic of herself with a Carl Sagan book via reddit. Unsurprisingly, there are some sexist comments. Which, again in my personal experience, tend to come from fem-bullied teenage omega males. They are gross, of course, but considering the source not surprising.

EveryMan

Post by EveryMan »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Lovely wife-soon-to-be. She is the sweetest person. We never fight or argue (well, we do, but she's very smart and can outdo me anytime with ease).

She's also the main provider of incomes (music really doesn't pay). I stay at home and take care of the place. Can the knuckleheads at FTB wrap their head around such a concept?
I have a message for all the ladies in happy and emotionally fulfilling monogamous relationships...

[youtube]sHx9khi_QxI[/youtube]

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Git wrote:

I might also just be a misogynit for letting a woman get her own salary, and shit. Damn, I don't know anymore, these days.
You are supposed to keep her locked up in the kitchen, with a computer and internet connection so she can blog, of course. What happens if she goes outside and sees a t-shirt? Did you even think of that? :naughty:

On the other hand, the people of Australia give Orwellia more to stress abut, or do they?

(I think we all know the answer to that)

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Apparently, a rumour went round there was a man in the elevator asking about coffee...so this woman was taking no chances!